PDA

View Full Version : Is Jordan Bell worth going after?

picnroll
05-19-2019, 09:17 AM
Bell as I understand it is an unrestricted FA. Is he worth going after next year?

cjw
05-19-2019, 10:54 AM
No, he’s a restricted FA. Only been in the league for two years as a second round pick.

Degoat
05-19-2019, 11:11 AM
I don’t think so, Warriors have needed all the depth they could use and he hardly played at all this year

picnroll
05-19-2019, 11:18 AM
You’re right RFA, have to stop using Hoopshype for salaries. GS, even if Durant leaves has to sign Thompson who is going to want the max and next year they’ll have to Decide what to do with Green who’s going to want a payday. Looney is an UFA by ESPN. Either Bell or Looney I think is susceptible to moving with an offer GS won’t want to match. Bell is hardly getting PT. Have to believe he’s somewhat frustrated.

cd021
05-19-2019, 11:44 AM
You’re right RFA, have to stop using Hoopshype for salaries. GS, even if Durant leaves has to sign Thompson who is going to want the max and next year they’ll have to Decide what to do with Green who’s going to want a payday. Looney is an UFA by ESPN. Either Bell or Looney I think is susceptible to moving with an offer GS won’t want to match. Bell is hardly getting PT. Have to believe he’s somewhat frustrated.

Basketball Insider's is a much better site for team cap stuff tbh.

Chinook
05-19-2019, 01:04 PM
Nah. He can only play the five right now. If he were a somewhat actualized four, then you could totally think about bringing in Milutinov and using the rest of the MLE on an offer for Bell. But as is, there's little upside to signing him.

cjw
05-19-2019, 02:00 PM
Basketball Insider's is a much better site for team cap stuff tbh.

Spotrac is good for NBA. Though they do steal everything from OverTheCap for NFL (which is by far the best site covering sports salaries, period, including the primers)

Nah. He can only play the five right now. If he were a somewhat actualized four, then you could totally think about bringing in Milutinov and using the rest of the MLE on an offer for Bell. But as is, there's little upside to signing him.

People need to stop fawning over 5s that play in Golden State’s system. And stop thinking signing a 5, which as you correctly point out is Bell’s only position, is a need of the Spurs. Poeltl and Aldridge are plenty and Nikola is always an option.

Chinook
05-19-2019, 03:42 PM
People need to stop fawning over 5s that play in Golden State’s system. And stop thinking signing a 5, which as you correctly point out is Bell’s only position, is a need of the Spurs. Poeltl and Aldridge are plenty and Nikola is always an option.

Poeltl is expiring next year, and LMA the year after. I don't think it makes sense to spend big money on a center, but I do think it's a "need" in the sense that they should draft one. I consider the team's front-court depth to be similar to the back-court depth they had a few years ago. I was pounding the table for them to draft guards in 2014, 2015 and 2016 to have guys to step in for Parker and Manu and to make Green expendable. Now they have plenty of young guards, but it would be nicer if each of them were a bit further in their progression. Maybe PATFO wouldn't have felt the need to pick up DeRozan is they had this incarnation of White rather than last year's.

pad300
05-19-2019, 05:19 PM
No.

If they bring in a big (who is not a spurs draft pick), IMO, it will be a cheap veteran (ie the vet min). I could see them going oddball for Boban (He's been in the system before, and apparently liked it and was liked here, Not to mention he can make an awesome change of pace big IMO.) or say Joakim Noah (high character/competitiveness vet, who has "got over himself" - ie was willing to sign with the Grizz for cheap, who a really good passer for a big...).

phxspurfan
05-19-2019, 07:38 PM
He's good, definitely better than our scrubs/bench. But not a true SF (our by far greatest need)

cjw
05-19-2019, 11:49 PM
Poeltl is expiring next year, and LMA the year after. I don't think it makes sense to spend big money on a center, but I do think it's a "need" in the sense that they should draft one. I consider the team's front-court depth to be similar to the back-court depth they had a few years ago. I was pounding the table for them to draft guards in 2014, 2015 and 2016 to have guys to step in for Parker and Manu and to make Green expendable. Now they have plenty of young guards, but it would be nicer if each of them were a bit further in their progression. Maybe PATFO wouldn't have felt the need to pick up DeRozan is they had this incarnation of White rather than last year's.

That’s what I meant - not spending Pau money on a center.

It’ll be interesting to see what Poeltl’s market is. A lot will depend on available cap space and if any teams force the Spurs’ hand with an offer sheet. This is when it helps having tons of guys planted throughout the league. Hopefully, the best he can do is the MLE which the Spurs would gladly match.

Not sure it’s a need to draft one if they think Nikola will ever come over, or if they feel they can fill the hole with guys making Brook Lopez type deals. Problem is 90% of those are busts.

I’m all about drafting BPA and figuring out fit later, though that doesn’t mean taking two PGs or two Cs. Two wings is fine given the roster construction.

99 Problems
05-20-2019, 12:14 AM
Was there not a red flag about a foot or something at draft time? But good luck to the young guy he’s doing okay.