PDA

View Full Version : Spurs in Position to Shake Up Draft

wildbill2u
05-19-2019, 01:20 PM
https://www.forbes.com/sites/robwolkenbrod/2019/05/19/spurs-in-position-to-shake-up-the-2019-nba-draft/#7d493b195856

An interesting take on the position the Spurs are in as a player in the draft for a change. Without mentioning possible trades or moves up for specific players, the interaction with the Celtics THREE round 1 drafts makes some intriguing possibilities that I don't think many of us have considered too much.

PATFO is capable of making unusual moves at times which no one considered. Could make this draft very entertaining.

TimDunkem
05-19-2019, 01:22 PM
People consider this a draft where they could make moves?

Okay. They won't make any.

Chinook
05-19-2019, 01:27 PM
No offense, but there's nothing exciting or innovative about that article. We've been talking about ways PATFO could use the Toronto pick since they got it. If anything, this article oversells the roster crunch. If you count Gay as being under contract, the team will have two spots open for players after signing both firsts. That's pretty normal for them. I think they should shake it up, but they certainly won't struggle to fit in two rookies,

Keepin' it real
05-19-2019, 06:39 PM
Memo to spurstalk: only post articles that Chinook finds exciting and innovative.

:rolleyes

Keepin' it real
05-19-2019, 06:43 PM
https://www.forbes.com/sites/robwolk.../#7d493b195856 (https://www.forbes.com/sites/robwolkenbrod/2019/05/19/spurs-in-position-to-shake-up-the-2019-nba-draft/#7d493b195856)

An interesting take on the position the Spurs are in as a player in the draft for a change. Without mentioning possible trades or moves up for specific players, the interaction with the Celtics THREE round 1 drafts makes some intriguing possibilities that I don't think many of us have considered too much.

PATFO is capable of making unusual moves at times which no one considered. Could make this draft very entertaining.

Thanks for posting this. A good read for those of us who aren't wannabe GMs.

ZeusWillJudge
05-19-2019, 07:31 PM
Thanks for posting. Always good to have something new to read when we're out of the playoffs.

Ainge has shown that he doesn't like to make a deal unless he can feel like he's completely bent somebody over. I guess anything is possible, but I'm pretty skeptical about any deal getting done with the C's.

BWS-1994
05-19-2019, 07:47 PM
Thanks for posting. Always good to have something new to read when we're out of the playoffs.

Ainge has shown that he doesn't like to make a deal unless he can feel like he's completely bent somebody over. I guess anything is possible, but I'm pretty skeptical about any deal getting done with the C's.

Kyrie probably gone. Rozier looking for a pay day. Ainge will probably start with with White?

Chinook
05-19-2019, 07:47 PM
Memo to spurstalk: only post articles that Chinook finds exciting and innovative.

Don't be dumb. OP suggested the article was a "new take" on what the Spurs can do in this draft. It's not. It's an extremely shallow rehashing of things we've been talking about for like 10 months.

Pavlov
05-19-2019, 08:07 PM
I'm still thinking they won't use all three picks unless Metu is gone.[/shallowrehash]

DPG21920
05-19-2019, 08:09 PM
Spurs still need youth and they are rebuilding so I don’t think it’s completely out of the realm of possibilities they keep them.

But between roster composition and minutes, a trade of some form seems pretty damn likely. But man, 1st round picks are seemingly becoming more and more high value assets. Especially lottery type picks. Look at what this draft lottery did and if you are a team giving up a lottery type pick, I can see protections being very strict and/or it costing A LOT to get one.

Play Boban
05-19-2019, 09:10 PM

tholdren
05-19-2019, 09:46 PM
Don't be dumb. OP suggested the article was a "new take" on what the Spurs can do in this draft. It's not. It's an extremely shallow rehashing of things we've been talking about for like 10 months.

Plus minus

RC_Drunkford
05-19-2019, 10:04 PM
It would make a lot of sense for the Spurs to use both picks and build a young core around Murray/White/Walker for the future as well as having 2 cheap rookie contracts on the team. Then again it would also make sense to trade both picks for a higher one to get a player who can immediately contribute and have one more open roster spot for a free agent. Let's see what happens

Chinook
05-19-2019, 10:05 PM
Plus minus

Good to see you're still around, Tho.

Roscoe P. Coltrane
05-20-2019, 12:33 PM
I think the Spurs will package the 29th pick with Bertans and maybe Belinelli for an established player.

cd021
05-20-2019, 12:43 PM
So the premise of the article is that the Spurs have 2 firsts and options?

DesignatedT
05-20-2019, 12:53 PM
I could see them possibly selling the 29th for a future first in 2020 or 2021 if they feel like that better suites their timeline.

Degoat
05-20-2019, 01:02 PM
I’d like to think the spurs will have a creative approach to the draft but watch them draft Luka Samanic 19th and Ty Jerome 29th (I like those guys but there not my 1st, 2nd, 3rd or 4th option lol)

cd021
05-20-2019, 04:23 PM
In terms of draft day trades for the Spurs; Bellinelli to the 76ers for the 34th or 35th pick makes sense for both sides the tbh.

Spurs clear out $5.85 million by trading him into Philly's cap space, clear out another roster spot, gives Walker a path for minute or minutes for another free agent.

76ers get a rotation player who played well for them, previously. Their bench was likely the reason they missed the ECF and Beli comes cheap (they can take him into cap space)

The trade would have to officially be completed on 7/1

Ocotillo
05-20-2019, 04:25 PM
In terms of draft day trades for the Spurs; Bellinelli to the 76ers for the 34th or 35th pick makes sense for both sides the tbh.

Spurs clear out $5.85 million by trading him into Philly's cap space, clear out another roster spot, gives Walker a path for minute or minutes for another free agent.

76ers get a rotation player who played well for them, previously. Their bench was likely the reason they missed the ECF and Beli comes cheap (they can take him into cap space)

Nice thought. I like it.

SpurPadre
05-20-2019, 04:43 PM

Hope this happens but good idea anyways!

BWS-1994
05-20-2019, 06:18 PM

Will this hinder the 76ers ability to max or at least re-sign both Butler and Harris?

slick'81
05-20-2019, 06:20 PM
Will this hinder the 76ers ability to max or at least re-sign both Butler and Harris?

Sixers arent trading for a player they already refused to resign

cd021
05-20-2019, 06:25 PM

No. Both are full bird so they can max them out.

cd021
05-20-2019, 06:25 PM
Sixers arent trading for a player they already refused to resign

Did they, or did he just sign elsewhere?

exstatic
05-20-2019, 06:27 PM
I don’t believe you can do a trade on draft night with a team that won’t have cap room until the first of July.

slick'81
05-20-2019, 06:29 PM
I don’t believe you can do a trade on draft night with a team that won’t have cap room until the first of July.

Yea that too

wildbill2u
05-20-2019, 07:08 PM

I don't think this is about doing a deal with the Celtics. But if they use their picks for trading up or roster trades with another team, three picks in the first round can really roil the market. Then add in our two picks and who knows what moves could be made or what players might drop down the list.

Spur|n|Austin
05-20-2019, 07:31 PM

This makes sense, solid points.

cjw
05-20-2019, 09:46 PM

Philly is at $137.7 million of cap holds excluding picks. Renounce Boban + Scott + waive JSimmons ($1mm hit) knocks off $23.2 million, so puts them at $114.5 million, which is still over the cap and wouldn’t let them make a 7/1 trade.

So only way for them to have actual cap space would be to renounce one of Harris, Redick or Butler (after he opts out). I don’t see them doing that unless one of those guys indicates he’s leaving, and all to acquire Beli?

And as discussed hear ad nauseam, the Spurs don’t have much use of cap space unless they clear a bunch of it. Trading just Beli doesn’t do anything except create a trade exception.

cd021
05-20-2019, 09:57 PM
Philly is at $137.7 million of cap holds excluding picks. Renounce Boban + Scott + waive JSimmons ($1mm hit) knocks off $23.2 million, so puts them at $114.5 million, which is still over the cap and wouldn’t let them make a 7/1 trade.

So only way for them to have actual cap space would be to renounce one of Harris, Redick or Butler (after he opts out). I don’t see them doing that unless one of those guys indicates he’s leaving, and all to acquire Beli?

And as discussed hear ad nauseam, the Spurs don’t have much use of cap space unless they clear a bunch of it. Trading just Beli doesn’t do anything except create a trade exception.

Your right, rookie mistake, I forgot to take into account Harris and Butler's roster holds. Unless they swap Simmons and 35 for Beli but that is a lot less appealing

blizz
05-21-2019, 01:50 AM
What a shitty article. The spurs might make a move but they might not. Yeah very insightful.

rascal
05-21-2019, 04:37 AM

No it doesn't. Phil has better options than Bellinelli.

venitian navigator
05-21-2019, 07:14 AM
No it doesn't. Phil has better options than Bellinelli.

not at that price...also considering he already knows the system and how to play with their main players...

ZeusWillJudge
05-21-2019, 08:10 AM
I don't think this is about doing a deal with the Celtics. But if they use their picks for trading up or roster trades with another team, three picks in the first round can really roil the market. Then add in our two picks and who knows what moves could be made or what players might drop down the list.

I was tryna be nice, and encourage people who post outside content. The article is weak, and doesn't say a whole lot of anything. The Spurs aren't going to move up just to get a higher number. IF they move up, it will be with a specific player in mind. And you don't trade up to pick a guy you could have had at 19 anyway. The only thing that's going to "shake up" this draft is if they sneak in some better players at the last minute. (Don't make me whip out the blue font. I know they can't do that.)

The article doesn't even mention that Philadelphia has 5 picks in this draft. What the hell is Philadelphia going to do with 5 rookies from a weak draft? T
he Spurs could burn a pick to try and shed salary. But the only one that really moves the needle is Patty, and I don't see Pop letting him go. If he does, that will shake up this site, but I don't think it makes waves in the draft at large.

I don't think there would be a huge amount of variation in the first 18 players picked, regardless of which teams are making the picks. A little variation in the order, but not wholesale change.

monty4329
05-21-2019, 08:15 AM

Might make some sense. We would lose what we need most, though: shooting.

Brazil
05-21-2019, 09:10 AM

:lol not sure why I lol'ed

cjw
05-21-2019, 12:50 PM
Your right, rookie mistake, I forgot to take into account Harris and Butler's roster holds. Unless they swap Simmons and 35 for Beli but that is a lot less appealing

I see what you did there

Might make some sense. We would lose what we need most, though: shooting.

No, what we need most is wings who can shoot and play defense. What we have now is one-way shooters who are horrible on other end of floor. The fact that Forbes was playing the best defense of the four shooters should tell you something.

rascal
05-21-2019, 05:10 PM
The Spurs are in positiohn to do nothing unusual on Draft day.

slick'81
05-21-2019, 05:32 PM
The Spurs are in positiohn to do nothing unusual on Draft day.

Those 19/29 can be used to move up though

Poolboy5623
05-21-2019, 06:36 PM

To where? It's not getting them in the top 10.. might be able to move up a few spots but that's about it.

tbdog
05-21-2019, 06:46 PM
I think the Spurs will package the 29th pick with Bertans and maybe Belinelli for an established player.

Yes. I think this is the most obvious move for me.

slick'81
05-21-2019, 06:57 PM
To where? It's not getting them in the top 10.. might be able to move up a few spots but that's about it.

Well yea if they like a player slotted higher.Still two picks in the twenties isnt getting them anywhere near top10

BackHome
05-21-2019, 09:07 PM
If we not bringing over Nikola this year then we need to trade him two teams I think need a big man and would trade with us.

Philly:
They cant count on Embid being healthy all year and will Have to manage his minutes so a good back up center is essential. They trade their 24th first and their 33 second plus the rights to Vasilije Micic. We give them Nikola and our second round pick.

Celtics:
Nikola for their 20th pick.

Poolboy5623
05-22-2019, 11:17 AM
Well yea if they like a player slotted higher.Still two picks in the twenties isnt getting them anywhere near top10

I'm just not sure how that's "shaking up the draft?" ... but I guess we'll see..

exstatic
05-22-2019, 11:20 AM

The consensus seems to be that after 10, there isn't much differentiation. Those two picks aren't getting you into the top 10, so what you're really doing is trading two post 10 draft picks for one post 10 draft pick.

ZeusWillJudge
05-22-2019, 12:18 PM
The consensus seems to be that after 10, there isn't much differentiation. Those two picks aren't getting you into the top 10, so what you're really doing is trading two post 10 draft picks for one post 10 draft pick.

That says it in a couple of sentences. Somewhere in those post 10 picks will be a few standouts. The Spurs have a better chance than most at finding them. The Spurs aren't likely to trade up unless they are really confident that they've spotted one of them, and he won't be there at 19.

It's hard for me to see them trading the 19 pick, just because it lets them get their guy. It would be a shame to trade 19, and then have the guy you want get taken at 25.

slick'81
05-22-2019, 02:45 PM
I'm just not sure how that's "shaking up the draft?" ... but I guess we'll see..

It isnt thats why the article is stoopid