PDA

View Full Version : How did the Spurs miss out on Malcolm Brogdon?

HarlemHeat37
05-19-2019, 11:49 PM
Everything about him seemed like a typical Spurs choice..IIRC, he was a Spurs fan, too..

He's the 2nd best player on the best team in the East, legit 2-way player, not many flaws in his game..better than Murray will ever be..

Just weird that the Spurs didn't draft him IMO, seemed like the type of man Pop would love to have on his team..

ducks
05-19-2019, 11:51 PM
Pop was worried more about trump then spurs

Jonnyblue19
05-19-2019, 11:52 PM
Love his game, and he is a work horse. The front office isn't what it used to be.

Dejounte
05-19-2019, 11:52 PM
Solid player but we already have him in Derrick White.

slick'81
05-19-2019, 11:56 PM
Def a swing and a :crymiss

HarlemHeat37
05-19-2019, 11:58 PM
Love his game, and he is a work horse. The front office isn't what it used to be.

Not an indictment on the front office, I'm just surprised they they of all people didn't pick him, he seems like the type of player they would have loved to draft:lol

timvp
05-19-2019, 11:58 PM
Spoiled Spur fan didn't get enough of a steal in the draft. As if youngest ever All-Defense selection is a disappointment :lol

Look at the Lakers. They don't have anything to show for having seven straight No. 2 picks. And we're nitpicking which steal was better :lol

Chinook
05-20-2019, 12:04 AM
Eh, yeah, he would have been great pick to split the difference between Murray and White. But then in 2017, there wouldn't have been a reason to get White, and there wasn't really a good option to pick besides him. Brogdon and White together may have meant PATFO goes for Covington or Harris in a Leonard deal rather than DeRozan. Mavbe Brodgon is enough to get the Spurs over the hump in 2017 or enough to get the the team a top-half seed in 2018. But I'm not sure that Murray/White won't end up being the better duo than Brogdon/Hart (Josh being the only player drafted after White who looks worth a crap).

alpha_HaZE
05-20-2019, 12:54 AM
Solid player but we already have him in Derrick White.

We drafted Dejounte at 29, not White.

Hindsight is 20/20, it is easy for one to be knowledgeable about the 2016 NBA draft after it has happened.

BG_Spurs_Fan
05-20-2019, 01:16 AM
Brogdon has been immense but you can’t put this on the FO. They did really well drafting Murray.

That said, some of the teams looking for a PG, like the Suns, should definitely throw money on him as Milwaukee won’t be able to keep everyone, instead of going for has beens like Conley, etc.

Jonnyblue19
05-20-2019, 01:48 AM
Brogdon has been immense but you can’t put this on the FO. They did really well drafting Murray.

That said, some of the teams looking for a PG, like the Suns, should definitely throw money on him as Milwaukee won’t be able to keep everyone, instead of going for has beens like Conley, etc.

The Bucks should keep him no matter what. He is more valuable then Middleton because of his defense and he is younger too.

I dont get why they paid Bledsoe that extension other than driving to the basket he doesn't bring anything to the team. He takes I'll advise 3 's and has lot of bone headed plays.

RC_Drunkford
05-20-2019, 04:22 AM
I assume they wanted him but Murray was higher on their draft board

Dejounte
05-20-2019, 04:55 AM
I assume they wanted him but Murray was higher on their draft board

The same will be said about this years draft in the future. There are good players likely there after the Spurs picks at 19 and 29 that they would like to have too but they can only choose the two.

DJR210
05-20-2019, 04:58 AM
How the fuck did we take Kyle Anderson over Jokic? I thought the Spurs knew a lil' something about the Euro game

RC_Drunkford
05-20-2019, 05:00 AM
How the fuck did we take Kyle Anderson over Jokic? I thought the Spurs knew a lil' something about the Euro game

the funny thing is with all the Euros that we stashed and never came over, the one year they should've drafted one they take Kyle Anderson instead

DJR210
05-20-2019, 05:09 AM
the funny thing is with all the Euros that we stashed and never came over, the one year they should've drafted one they take Kyle Anderson instead

Exactly.. It was like they forced the issue on drafting an American that year. But then they take Milutinov the following year and he probably will never even suit up for us :lol

To PATFO's credit, I remember everybody giving them a TON of credit for being able to draft Slow Mo at pick 30. So much for being "Young Boris 2.0"

cutewizard
05-20-2019, 06:37 AM
Fire patfo

NickiRasgo
05-20-2019, 08:10 AM
Brogdon is great but he's already 26 and Murray is only 22 however, already tore his ACL. Few months ago, Brogdon also got injured (partially torn left quadriceps tendon) though. Time will tell.

Truth4sale$
05-20-2019, 08:29 AM
Murray has/had a higher ceiling and was once considered a lottery type talent. He fell, Spura grabbed him for his potential alone. Brogdon might have been a more sure thing but Spurs need to aim for the fences sometimes, I believe it was the right choice. Injuries happen but I do believe Dejounte will prove that the front office made the right call in 2 years.

cjw
05-20-2019, 08:50 AM
Brogdon is almost four years older than Murray and going to be 27 this upcoming season.

Meanwhile, the same people complaining about not getting Brogdon are complaining about White having been too old when they picked him.

Also, people need to stop acting like this is the 1980s when ACLs were a major injury, or like he blew his Achilles. Murray will almost certainly be fine.

Keepin' it real
05-20-2019, 08:57 AM
Draft redos are fun, YAY!!!

Blackhaus
05-20-2019, 09:12 AM
Everyone in the league missed out on him, bucks just took a second round flyer and got lucky. He was considered a solid 4 year player that was pretty much finished as far as growing his game. Kudos to him for working hard and proving the entire league wrong.

D-Robinson 50 fan
05-20-2019, 02:46 PM
The team wanted to go younger and went for potential over known production.

Murray still has a chance to be a really good player due to his age

TD 21
05-20-2019, 03:50 PM
Even as a Murray skeptic, I thought it was the right move then and still do. They needed upside. Brogdon (who by virtually every measure is their 5th best player) was always the higher floor player and he's probably more likely than not to end up the better player long term, but their only chance to truly get back into contention at that time was to find another perimeter star and for all Murray's flaws/rawness, you're not getting much higher upside at 29.

Besides, White could easily end up better than Brogdon anyway. Not that 2 of this type would be a bad thing, but they essentially ended up drafting a similar enough version a year later anyway.

kobyz
05-21-2019, 03:03 AM
Big missed out
Murray sucks, I'm not high on him at all, he reminds me Danny in terms of too liability on offense/overrated on defense and his attention whoring ability outside the court... Brogdon is all-star level, new age Joe Dumars, great defender and leader, and one of only 5 players or so ever to get into the 90/50/40 club!

Spursfanfromafar
05-21-2019, 04:37 AM
Brogdon is clearly a very Spurs like player. High IQ, character, efficient, sticking to the script, working hard on defense kinda guy. But he is also four years older than Dejounte Murray, who I think would have been a better player than Brogdon this year if not for his ACL tear. At worst, he should have been as good as him despite being four years younger. Good pick by the Bucks, but it was no miss by the Spurs.

RC_Drunkford
05-21-2019, 04:59 AM
if you can draft a 19 year old PG with a 7 foot wingspan you do it tbh

Roscoe P. Coltrane
05-21-2019, 10:11 AM
How the fuck did we take Kyle Anderson over Jokic? I thought the Spurs knew a lil' something about the Euro gameThat's the question that's should be asked.

Roscoe P. Coltrane
05-21-2019, 10:14 AM
Exactly.. It was like they forced the issue on drafting an American that year. But then they take Milutinov the following year and he probably will never even suit up for us :lol

To PATFO's credit, I remember everybody giving them a TON of credit for being able to draft Slow Mo at pick 30. So much for being "Young Boris 2.0"Never understood where the Boris comparisons came from.

exstatic
05-21-2019, 10:37 AM
Never understood where the Boris comparisons came from.

PF sized guys who can pass from a live dribble.

DJR210
05-21-2019, 11:22 AM
Never understood where the Boris comparisons came from.

Point forward friendly skillset

cjw
05-21-2019, 01:00 PM

To PATFO's credit, I remember everybody giving them a TON of credit for being able to draft Slow Mo at pick 30. So much for being "Young Boris 2.0"

Part of the Milutinov pick was getting a guy who wouldn’t be coming over that season as they were trying to maximize cap space for Aldridge. If drafting him allowed the Spurs to go after Aldridge, you make that pick 100% of the time.

Would have been better to trade the pick, but whatever.

Roscoe P. Coltrane
05-21-2019, 08:53 PM
PF sized guys who can pass from a live dribble.But their game is not the same.

DJR210
05-21-2019, 09:22 PM
But their game is not the same.

It was a role comparison

Capt Bringdown
05-21-2019, 11:02 PM
Separated at birth
https://a.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=/i/headshots/nba/players/full/2566769.png
http://cdn.collider.com/wp-content/uploads/oscar-nunez-image-04.jpg

elec7ro
05-21-2019, 11:46 PM
Big missed out
White sucks, I'm not high on him at all, he reminds me Danny in terms of too liability on offense/overrated on defense and his attention whoring ability outside the court... Brogdon is all-star level, new age Joe Dumars, great defender and leader, and one of only 5 players or so ever to get into the 90/50/40 club!

Do you even watch basketball? "Brogdon is all-star level" "white sucks....he reminds me Danny in terms of too liability on offense/overrated defense" go ahead and check all the basic and advanced stats with us having white on the court vs him not. be my guest. Jesus Christ

elec7ro
05-21-2019, 11:52 PM
Everything about him seemed like a typical Spurs choice..IIRC, he was a Spurs fan, too..

He's the 2nd best player on the best team in the East, legit 2-way player, not many flaws in his game..better than Murray will ever be..

Just weird that the Spurs didn't draft him IMO, seemed like the type of man Pop would love to have on his team..
"Better than murray will ever be" Brogdon is in his fucking prime right now. You all just swear dejounte is some scrub and seem to forget the impact he had on the team last year while being 21 years old. Stop living in the present. In 4 years when dejounte 26 and Brogdon is 30 you wont be saying the same thing at all.

Jonnyblue19
05-22-2019, 12:12 AM
"Better than murray will ever be" Brogdon is in his fucking prime right now. You all just swear dejounte is some scrub and seem to forget the impact he had on the team last year while being 21 years old. Stop living in the present. In 4 years when dejounte 26 and Brogdon is 30 you wont be saying the same thing at all.

Stop living in the present? So I should hope in 4 years Murray becomes a good to great basketball player? I should be living for the future at least 3-4 years away:rollin

TDMVPDPOY
05-22-2019, 12:19 AM
we talking about patfo here, overrated and still living on some reputation they are the best in t he business drafting and developing players...

elec7ro
05-22-2019, 12:21 AM
Stop living in the present? So I should hope in 4 years Murray becomes a good to great basketball player? I should be living for the future at least 3-4 years away:rollin
Yeah its almost like young basketball players do this magical thing called.....develop. Just like how 22y/o brogdon developed into the player he is now, what a shocker. I'm not telling you "wAiT UnTiLl He BecOmEs A GooD pLaYer" (which he is already) I'm telling you you're comparing a player IN HIS PRIME to a 22 year old in terms of production in 3 years one of which that is basically nullified. Also, what gives you the indication that murray at this point right now isn't a good basketball player?

TimDunkem
05-22-2019, 12:24 AM
^Brogdon was already a contributor his first year. Didn't need much development. Just saying...

J_Paco
05-22-2019, 01:03 AM

Too much hyperbole in this post to justify a response, but I'll bite. He isn't the second (Middleton), third (Bledsoe) or 4th (Lopez) best player on the team.

Murray has a higher ceiling and is just as capable a defender/rebounder. If his shooting and offense can catch up to those aspects then he'll be better than Malcolm.

Also, Derrick White has the potential to replicate Brogdon's statistical output and impact.

J_Paco
05-22-2019, 01:14 AM
^Brogdon was already a contributor his first year. Didn't need much development. Just saying...

He was also a 4 year college player and 21/22 years old. Had Derrick played division I his entire collegiate career, he too would have been "NBA ready" from day 1.

Dejounte has a lot more flaws to his offensive game, but he's already Brogdon's equal on defense and the boards.

kobyz
05-22-2019, 05:55 AM
Do you even watch basketball? "Brogdon is all-star level" "white sucks....he reminds me Danny in terms of too liability on offense/overrated defense" go ahead and check all the basic and advanced stats with us having white on the court vs him not. be my guest. Jesus Christ

Excuse me, I meant Murray, not white...

exstatic
05-22-2019, 08:52 AM
kobyz is a moron. White shouldn't even be in this discussion, BECAUSE IT WAS DEJOUNTE THAT WAS DRAFTED THAT YEAR AHEAD OF BROGDON.

kobyz
05-22-2019, 09:41 AM
kobyz is a moron. White shouldn't even be in this discussion, BECAUSE IT WAS DEJOUNTE THAT WAS DRAFTED THAT YEAR AHEAD OF BROGDON.
I confused them, Murray is the one I intended to, not white...

Arcadian
05-22-2019, 01:25 PM
Easy to say this now, but did you know he would be this good in 2016? These things are incredibly difficult to predict.

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-22-2019, 05:01 PM
Slowpoke over Jokic is the one that really hurt. Think where we'd be if we had done that. Wouldn't have had to go after Aldridge. Kawhi would have had an alpha next to him in the front court. Whole future of this team would be different.

Dex
05-22-2019, 05:47 PM
It's almost as if the Spurs FO isn't psychic and drafting is always somewhat of a crapshoot. You could probably point to 95% of draftees and find someone who would've been a better pick at their spots.

Most mock drafts also had Murray going well before Brogdon, and time will still tell who will end up being the better player.

Slowpoke over Jokic is the one that really hurt. Think where we'd be if we had done that. Wouldn't have had to go after Aldridge. Kawhi would have had an alpha next to him in the front court. Whole future of this team would be different.

That kinda hurts to think about tbh.

phxspurfan
05-22-2019, 05:59 PM
I was also high on Brogdon, and Josh Hart later/another year, Jalen Brunson more recently, etc. But Spurs have been ok in the draft recently. No qualms with their recent picks of guys like Blair, Murray, White (even though I wasn't sold on him until mid way through this year), Walker (we'll see, but everyone is saying that was a good pick). Only one people can really say was ? was Kyle Anderson.

Dex
05-22-2019, 06:24 PM
I was also high on Brogdon, and Josh Hart later/another year, Jalen Brunson more recently, etc. But Spurs have been ok in the draft recently. No qualms with their recent picks of guys like Blair, Murray, White (even though I wasn't sold on him until mid way through this year), Walker (we'll see, but everyone is saying that was a good pick). Only one people can really say was ? was Kyle Anderson.

Spurs were still enamored with Diaw when they made the Anderson pick.

The difference is that Diaw actually was a quick player who could fill a guard spot in his younger days. It wasn't until later that he put on the weight to play forward, but still had the guard instincts.

Anderson was never big enough to be a big, and was never quick enough to be a guard. You can't fake it in both categories.

Spurtacular
05-22-2019, 06:27 PM
Spoiled Spur fan didn't get enough of a steal in the draft. As if youngest ever All-Defense selection is a disappointment :lol

Look at the Lakers. They don't have anything to show for having seven straight No. 2 picks. And we're nitpicking which steal was better :lol

Not what it once was in a game geared to shooters.

phxspurfan
05-22-2019, 06:45 PM
Spurs were still enamored with Diaw when they made the Anderson pick.

The difference is that Diaw actually was a quick player who could fill a guard spot in his younger days. It wasn't until later that he put on the weight to play forward, but still had the guard instincts.

Anderson was never big enough to be a big, and was never quick enough to be a guard. You can't fake it in both categories.

True, it was the 2014 draft when the Spurs selected SlowMo (peak Beautiful Game Spurs).

https://www.nbadraft.net/nba_final_draft/2014

Just sucks that we missed out on a few decent guys even at the end of that draft (Dinwiddie, Jokic, Joe Harris, Clarkson, and we probably would have made Glenn Robinson III decent).

And :lol at the assessment of Jokic:

https://www.nbadraft.net/players/nikola-jokic

EricB
05-22-2019, 11:53 PM

the uncle would’ve still sabotaged things

duncan2k5
05-23-2019, 01:44 AM

We may have drafted Jokic and stashed him... Or barely played him when he finally got here... Other teams actually play their raw talent and not yank them and throw them on the bench for weeks on end after every mistake

Play Boban
05-23-2019, 09:56 PM
Brogdon really is a spur. A key turnover late in a close playoff game per par. :lol

slick'81
05-23-2019, 09:57 PM
Brogdon sucks outloud

D-Robinson 50 fan
05-23-2019, 10:08 PM
Brogdon was one of the only Bucks to actually shoot solid this game. He fucked up at the end of this game though. Smh. I wanted the Spurs to draft this guy because I’m a UVA fan and seen 1st hand that he was a good player.