PDA

View Full Version : Interesting article on future of Netflix/Disney/cable tv

Blake
05-22-2019, 12:59 PM
https://www.forbes.com/sites/stephenmcbride1/2019/05/21/netflix-has-175-days-left-to-pull-off-a-miracle-or-its-all-over

Long story short, Netflix went in on cable tv; Disney+ streaming service is about to go deep on Netflix.

I'd sell Netflix stock now if I had it

Spurminator
05-22-2019, 02:37 PM
This writer is a little too "rah rah" about the subject, especially given his unconvincing assumptions.

He presumes that Netflix will see a crippling loss of subscribers when Disney+ launches, as though there is only room for one of the two platforms in a home. Netflix's relative dominance doesn't seem to be pushing Hulu towards collapse. HBOGO and HBONOW are still doing fine.

Will there be switchers? Sure. But you know who else will lose a ton of (and possibly more) subscribers when Disney+ launches? Cable. That's another big pool of people for Netflix to pull from. Will the people dropping a $50/month cable subscription have any problem picking up Netflix and Disney+ at less than $20/month total?

Disney has great content but I can't imagine choosing to watch it exclusively, without other options. I'll be subscribing for sure... On top of my subscriptions to Netflix, Prime, Hulu, HBO and DirecTV Now.

Spurminator
05-22-2019, 02:41 PM
As to Netflix stock, hopefully their stock does tank so I can buy in at the bottom. I'm still kicking myself for not buying when everyone predicted their demise over splitting their DVD and streaming businesses.

Reck
05-22-2019, 02:53 PM
I just have to laugh at what the guy decided to name the article. Comes off as desperate click bait and one of those the end of the world prophecies that never quite come true. :lol

Disney has a short window in which they can impact Netflix's bottom line and that's at the start with their low price. But eventually like Netflix they will be force to hike up their prices.

I doubt Disney has enough content to keep people from jumping ship at some point. Netflix is just too big now to overtake, imo.

To the point where people believe Netflix is putting out better original content than even HBO now.

Pavlov
05-22-2019, 02:58 PM
I'm going to start staggering some of my subscriptions. On most of the services the original content stays there forever and there's not really a downside to unsubscribing most of them (Prime and DirecTV Now are the exceptions I can think of, the latter because I wouldn't be able to get my channel package back). If it's anything like cable you'll be eligible for promo deals after a few months anyway.

SpursforSix
05-22-2019, 03:01 PM
This writer is a little too "rah rah" about the subject, especially given his unconvincing assumptions.

He presumes that Netflix will see a crippling loss of subscribers when Disney+ launches, as though there is only room for one of the two platforms in a home. Netflix's relative dominance doesn't seem to be pushing Hulu towards collapse. HBOGO and HBONOW are still doing fine.

Will there be switchers? Sure. But you know who else will lose a ton of (and possibly more) subscribers when Disney+ launches? Cable. That's another big pool of people for Netflix to pull from. Will the people dropping a $50/month cable subscription have any problem picking up Netflix and Disney+ at less than $20/month total?

Disney has great content but I can't imagine choosing to watch it exclusively, without other options. I'll be subscribing for sure... On top of my subscriptions to Netflix, Prime, Hulu, HBO and DirecTV Now.

Yeah...I won't be switching...I'll just add and pay the extra $6 per month.

UZER
05-22-2019, 03:05 PM
I'm going to start staggering some of my subscriptions. On most of the services the original content stays there forever and there's not really a downside to unsubscribing most of them (Prime and DirecTV Now are the exceptions I can think of, the latter because I wouldn't be able to get my channel package back). If it's anything like cable you'll be eligible for promo deals after a few months anyway.

I’ve noticed a lot, not all, of the movies available are pretty much available across all platforms. It’s like the movie company’s decide which ones will be available for the next 3 months. I know there are a handful of exclusives, but overall, they pretty much rotate the same movies at the same time across the platforms.

Edit: I’m not referring to the premium channel movies like HBO, Showtime, STARZ, etc.

Pavlov
05-22-2019, 03:18 PM
I’ve noticed a lot, not all, of the movies available are pretty much available across all platforms. It’s like the movie company’s decide which ones will be available for the next 3 months. I know there are a handful of exclusives, but overall, they pretty much rotate the same movies at the same time across the platforms.

Edit: I’m not referring to the premium channel movies like HBO, Showtime, STARZ, etc.I believe the rights to Lionsgate/Epix movies get sold to just about anyone.

spurraider21
05-22-2019, 04:33 PM
i subscribed to hbo just for GoT season tbh :lol

otherwise i have prime and netflix

Pavlov
05-22-2019, 04:37 PM
I got DC Universe on a good promo and I've really enjoyed Doom Patrol. Now that its season is over Friday I'll cancel and binge when Swamp Thing has run its course.

Avant
05-22-2019, 08:12 PM
Question

How does Hulu work? Do you need the firestick? Is it connected to the internet?

We have Dish in three rooms but only the firestick/Netflix in the front room.

Pavlov
05-22-2019, 08:14 PM
Don't you have a computer genius to help you with this?

Avant
05-22-2019, 08:20 PM
Don't you have a computer genius to help you with this?

I don't want to change anything, Judy does. If Chris gets involved then that would be me giving in.

Pavlov
05-22-2019, 08:23 PM
I don't want to change anything, Judy does. If Chris gets involved then that would be me giving in.Holy shit that's petty.

Avant
05-22-2019, 09:34 PM
Holy shit that's petty.

Pavlov, there is NOBODY anywhere who rivals you when it comes to petty. You really need to read yourself guy.

Pavlov
05-22-2019, 09:36 PM
Pavlov, there is NOBODY anywhere who rivals you when it comes to petty. You really need to read yourself guy.You're lying to your wife.

About Hulu.

It doesn't get any more petty than that.

Avant
05-22-2019, 09:51 PM
You're lying to your wife.

About Hulu.

It doesn't get any more petty than that.

Stupid, what lie?

Pavlov
05-22-2019, 09:53 PM
Stupid, what lie?Does she know you're asking people online about the Hulu?

Yes or no.

Spurtacular
05-22-2019, 09:54 PM
As to Netflix stock, hopefully their stock does tank so I can buy in at the bottom. I'm still kicking myself for not buying when everyone predicted their demise over splitting their DVD and streaming businesses.

They had an initial spike in stock price in the first year of streaming and then went back down in year two. That's when presumably level-headed people figured streaming wasn't going to be so lucrative after all. Also, the fact that they were steady around $5 per share for almost a decade straight before streaming had people overlooking the potential revolution of a loved but not overly believed in company (from a shareholder p.o.v.).

But if you had gotten in at that time and stuck with it, yea you could've gotten 40X richer now. That's great, but there are even better ones to have gotten in on like maybe google, amazon, chipolte, etc. (I'm estimating off the top of my head).

Spurtacular
05-22-2019, 09:56 PM
i subscribed to hbo just for GoT season tbh :lol

otherwise i have prime and netflix

I'm going to do that at some point to catch the final two seasons, tbh. I considered doing it at the start of the month just so I could get caught up and watch the finale with everyone else, but too much going I guess.

Blake
05-22-2019, 10:04 PM

If Disney pulls all of their content from every streaming source including Netflix and Hulu, I think I drop them. Especially Netflix.

I also think they need to add some must see original programming pretty fast. A lot of their original movies and shows lately have been shit.

Chucho
05-22-2019, 10:09 PM
One of the few who don't care for the vast majority of Disney's IPs, so I'll still roll with Netflix and Hulu.

Avant
05-22-2019, 10:10 PM
Does she know you're asking people online about the Hulu?

Yes or no.

She does now because I just told her.

She thinks we pay too much for what we now have, thinks Hulu is cheaper. I like what we have and don't want to fuck that up.

Pavlov
05-22-2019, 10:15 PM
She does now because I just told her.

She thinks we pay too much for what we now have, thinks Hulu is cheaper. I like what we have and don't want to fuck that up.:lmao I shamed you into fessing up.

Avant
05-22-2019, 10:19 PM
:lmao I shamed you into fessing up.

Pavlov, I hadn't seen her until early this morning, she just walked in, ok?

Dude, actually thinking, hahahahahahaha~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Pavlov
05-22-2019, 10:21 PM
If Disney pulls all of their content from every streaming source including Netflix and Hulu, I think I drop them.Disney bought everyone else out of Hulu, so expect only Disney content on there in a few years -- probably the less family-oriented stuff.

Losing Friends and The Office are probably going to hurt Netflix more than anything and help AT&T and Comcast with their streaming services respectively.

Pavlov
05-22-2019, 10:21 PM
Pavlov, I hadn't seen her until early this morning, she just walked in, ok?

Dude, actually thinking, hahahahahahaha~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~:lmao is your Jitterbug on the fritz?

Avant
05-22-2019, 10:26 PM
:lmao is your Jitterbug on the fritz?

Her mom has surgery Tuesday, she's been having heart problems. So she's been over there a lot.

Pavlov, why act so damn stupid all the time, don't you ever tire of that shit?

Pavlov
05-22-2019, 10:27 PM
Her mom has surgery Tuesday, she's been having heart problems. So she's been over a lot.

Pavlov, why act so damn stupid all the time, don't you ever tire of that shit?She took your phone privileges away.

Avant
05-22-2019, 10:30 PM
My God you're stupid.

rinnggg....hello
Avante....I;m asking advice about that Hulu thing on the internet.
Judy.....ah......you called to tell me that?
Avante....well, yes.
Judy.....why?
Avante....ah...hmmm?

Pavlov has got to be about the dumbest poster I have ever came across, the guy is a total moron.

Pavlov
05-22-2019, 10:34 PM
My God you're stupid.

rinnggg....hello
Avante....I;m asking advice about that Hulu thing on the internet.
Judy.....ah......you called to tell me that?
Avante....well, yes.
Judy.....why?
Avante....ah...hmmm?

Pavlov has got to be about the dumbest poster I have ever came across, the guy is a total moron.You told your wife that you asked about the Hulu on the internet and people only mocked and laughed at you?

:lmao

Did you tell her you're whining about a contest you lost a year ago?

Spurtacular
05-22-2019, 10:34 PM
I bought Disney shares last month. I knew about the upcoming streaming service, but that was only a cherry on top for me at best. For all I know, it won't be an instant hit.

Avant
05-22-2019, 10:39 PM
You told your wife that you asked about the Hulu on the internet and people only mocked and laughed at you?

Did you tell her you're whining about a contest you lost a year ago?

Pavlov, it actually goes like this.

Judy....what is so funny
Avante....people.
Judy....you do know only losers do that, right?
Avante....I know, but it's funny.
Judy....I bet you show off with all that music and sports stuff don't you and they hate it, right?
Avante....yep, they can't stand it and it's funny working them.
Judy....you need help.

Pavlov
05-22-2019, 10:44 PM
Pavlov, it actually goes like this.

Judy....what is so funny
Avante....people.
Judy....you do know only losers do that, right?
Avante....I know, but it's funny.
Judy....I bet you show off with all that music and sports stuff don't you and they hate it, right?
Avante....yep, they can't stand it and it's funny working them.
Judy....you need help.Did you tell her you got doxxed three times and everyone shits on you every day here?

Avant
05-22-2019, 10:52 PM
Did you tell her you got doxxed three times and everyone shits on you every day here?

Dude, I post on music, track, football sites where my knowledge is appreciated, there we have those like myself, people who know their stuff.

BUT.....I have more silly ass fun here messing with idiots like you. I get a headache being all serious. I love the action here and love all the attention, of course with no mods we are going to see what we do, I have fun with all of it. Anyone taking this silly shit serious has a problem.

Dude, this is how stupid this place is.

Avante....you shoot sick ass pedos
ST....PEDO!

ST....so what do you know about track/blues?
SFS....nothing.
ST....GREAT....you are our EXPERT.

Pavlov
05-22-2019, 10:53 PM
Dude, I post on music, track, football sites where my knowledge is appreciated, there we have those like myself, people who know their stuff.

BUT.....I have more silly ass fun hee messing with idiots like you. I get a headache being all serious. I love the action here and love all the attention, of course with no mods we are going to see what we do, I have fun with all of it. Anyone taking this silly shit serious has a problem.
Did you tell her you got doxxed three times and everyone shits on you every day here?

Avant
05-22-2019, 10:55 PM

BUT.....I have more silly ass fun here messing with idiots like you. I get a headache being all serious. I love the action here and love all the attention, of course with no mods we are going to see what we do, I have fun with all of it. Anyone taking this silly shit serious has a problem.

ST....PEDO!

SFS....nothing.
ST....GREAT....you are our EXPERT.

Pavlov
05-22-2019, 10:57 PM

ST....PEDO!

SFS....nothing.
ST....GREAT....you are our EXPERT.You didn't answer the question.

Avant
05-22-2019, 11:03 PM
You didn't answer the question.

You can;t read stupid?

I use this place to act goofy so I get exactly what I'm looking for. If serious I post other places.

So I tell her I work a lot of idiots, I'd rather she didn't know I do that.

Pavlov
05-22-2019, 11:08 PM
You can;t read stupid?

I use this place to act goofy so I get exactly what I'm looking for. If serious I post other places.

So I tell her I work a lot of idiots, I'd rather she didn't know I do that.You didn't answer the question:

Reck
05-22-2019, 11:11 PM
I bought Disney shares last month. I knew about the upcoming streaming service, but that was only a cherry on top for me at best. For all I know, it won't be an instant hit.

Lying faggot. :lol

Pavlov
05-22-2019, 11:13 PM
Lying faggot. :lolWell if it's true, Chris is going to boycott him.

Reck
05-22-2019, 11:14 PM
If Disney pulls all of their content from every streaming source including Netflix and Hulu, I think I drop them. Especially Netflix.

You're nuts. :lol

There isn't even that much Disney stuff on Netflix to justify dropping them for taking a couple of movies off the catalog. Specially the way Netflix keeps making good original content.

Also I find that Netflix has a lot more hidden gems.

Spurtacular
05-22-2019, 11:16 PM
Lying faggot. :lol

WTF has you triggered now, eunuch? What am I supposed to be lying about?

Spurtacular
05-22-2019, 11:17 PM
Well if it's true, Chris is going to boycott him.

:lol "if"
:lol Like I don't have anything better to do than randomly lie about buying Disney stock (that is down since I bought it, nonetheless).
:lol :cry But I got my chumpette's back. :cry

Pavlov
05-22-2019, 11:18 PM
:lol "if"
:lol Like I don't have anything better to do than randomly lie about buying Disney stock.You lie all the time, derp.

Don't sweat it.

Avant
05-22-2019, 11:20 PM
You didn't answer the question:

Stupid, everybody like you does what they are set up to do. It gives me quick responses and a lot of them, ok dummy?

Spurtacular
05-22-2019, 11:22 PM
I would sell Netflix if I had them. They're P/E is through the roof.

Spurtacular
05-22-2019, 11:23 PM
You lie all the time, derp.

Don't sweat it.

Not really. For what reason do you think I'd lie about this, snowflake?

Pavlov
05-22-2019, 11:27 PM
Not really. For what reason do you think I'd lie about this, snowflake?Seems like a compulsion with you, derp.

Spurtacular
05-22-2019, 11:28 PM
Seems like a compulsion with you, derp.

:lol So bitter reciprocal narrative is all.
:lol Pretty much the weak response I can count on from a compulsive psychopav like you.

Reck
05-22-2019, 11:29 PM
The randomness of this thread and someone happens to mention they have stock in something and derp immediately jumps on the idea. Oh yeah I have that too. :lol

You're a congenital liar that loves to project. It's easier than you think to spot your lies.

Reck
05-22-2019, 11:31 PM
Seems like a compulsion with you, derp.

Derp summed up in a meme:

https://i.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/mobile/000/023/397/C-658VsXoAo3ovC.jpg

Pavlov
05-22-2019, 11:32 PM
:lol So bitter reciprocal narrative is all.
:lol Pretty much the weak response I can count on from a compulsive psychopav like you.You lie all the time.

I already said that.

Only you can tell us why you lie so much.

Avant
05-22-2019, 11:33 PM
This place can't even talk Netflix/Disney/cable tv without turmoil/chaos and bullshit.

But.........we all love it.

Spurtacular
05-22-2019, 11:48 PM
You lie all the time.

I already said that.

Only you can tell us why you lie so much.

:lol Psychopav desperately co-opting. :lol

Spurtacular
05-22-2019, 11:49 PM
This place can't even talk Netflix/Disney/cable tv without turmoil/chaos and bullshit.

But.........we all love it.

I posted many practical posts on the subject.

Snowflakes need to grudge post though. :lol

Pavlov
05-23-2019, 12:00 AM
:lol Psychopav desperately co-opting. :lolCo-opting?

No.

You lie.

Only you know why you lie.

Pavlov
05-23-2019, 12:00 AM
I posted many practical posts on the subject.

Snowflakes need to grudge post though. :lolNow that's a co-opt attempt.

lol derp

Spurtacular
05-23-2019, 12:24 AM
Co-opting?

No.

You lie.

Only you know why you lie.

You're going nowhere fast with this, Blake Zero.

Spurtacular
05-23-2019, 12:25 AM
Now that's a co-opt attempt.

lol derp

All's you've done in this thread is grudge post, dip shit.

Pavlov
05-23-2019, 12:26 AM
All's you've done in this thread is grudge post, dip shit.:lol another lie

Thanks for proving me right again so quickly!:tu

Spurtacular
05-23-2019, 12:39 AM
:lol another lie

Thanks for proving me right again so quickly!:tu

:lol I've only seen crying. You gonna point to something otherwise?

I'll call no in advance.

Pavlov
05-23-2019, 12:51 AM
:lol I've only seen crying. You gonna point to something otherwise?

I'll call no in advance.

I believe the rights to Lionsgate/Epix movies get sold to just about anyone.

:lol lyin' derp

Will you be man enough to admit you lied?

I'll call no in advance.

Spurtacular
05-23-2019, 12:55 AM
:lol lyin' derp

Will you be man enough to admit you lied?

I'll call no in advance.

Those quotes weren't directed at me. I only heard crying and grudge posts from you through and through. Sorry.

Pavlov
05-23-2019, 12:56 AM
Those quotes weren't directed at me. I only heard crying and grudge posts from you through and through. Sorry.:lmao called it

This is your claim:

All's you've done in this thread is grudge post, dip shit.
I proved you lied.

Now you're lying again about what you said.

lol lyin' derp

Go post in one of your grudge threads now.

Spurtacular
05-23-2019, 05:39 PM
:lmao called it

This is your claim:

I proved you lied.

Now you're lying again about what you said.

lol lyin' derp

Go post in one of your grudge threads now.

Yep. In regards to me that's all you've done.

I regarded the topic, and your unsolicited response to me was not in those regards.

But if you think it's a feather in your cap that you regarded it independent of that, then there's ya a rare small W.

Reck
05-23-2019, 05:48 PM
:lol Whenever derp tries to come off as a scholar but ends up face planting.

Pav, regard regards. Regard regard regard. Also regard.

Pavlov
05-23-2019, 06:28 PM
Yep. In regards to me that's all you've done.

I regarded the topic, and your unsolicited response to me was not in those regards.

But if you think it's a feather in your cap that you regarded it independent of that, then there's ya a rare small W.
:lol derp using so many words to try moving his goalpost.

Pavlov
05-23-2019, 06:29 PM
:lol Whenever derp tries to come off as a scholar but ends up face planting.

Pav, regard regards. Regard regard regard. Also regard.

:rollin his favorite squirm word

Chucho
05-23-2019, 06:58 PM
:lmao derp really feels he's "winning" something...

Spurtacular
05-23-2019, 09:02 PM
:lol derp using so many words to try moving his goalpost.

Not really. I called it a tiny W for you.

You just didn't regard the content matter in any meaningful way in your dialogue with me, I'm noting.

Grudge posting: Par is all.

Millennial_Messiah
05-23-2019, 11:08 PM
C-c-c-combo breaker

Pavlov
05-24-2019, 07:41 AM
regard:lmao

Blake
05-24-2019, 02:45 PM

There isn't even that much Disney stuff on Netflix to justify dropping them for taking a couple of movies off the catalog. Specially the way Netflix keeps making good original content.

I was already thinking of dropping Netflix as it is. I turn it on, scroll through it, then end up in either Prime or Hulu.

I'm also not dropping cable just yet because of sports... Even though Prime is picking up some in that category.

Netflix is gonna need to do something fresh pretty soon, imo.

leemajors
05-24-2019, 03:41 PM
I was already thinking of dropping Netflix as it is. I turn it on, scroll through it, then end up in either Prime or Hulu.

I'm also not dropping cable just yet because of sports... Even though Prime is picking up some in that category.

I watch more Netflix originals than I do Prime, personally. I dropped cable 6 years ago.

Spurminator
05-24-2019, 05:12 PM
My breakdown is about

40% Netflix
25% HBO
10% Prime
5% Hulu
20% On Demand from other cable networks through DTVNow

Spurtacular
05-24-2019, 06:15 PM

Netflix is a 4-6 month a year proposition. A lot of people don't want the hassle of canceling and uncanceling as long as the rate is reasonable. For that reason, they should grandfather rates instead of raising them; and have rates for new customers.

chunticakes
05-24-2019, 06:21 PM

Such as?

Reck
05-24-2019, 06:30 PM
Such as?

Off the top of my head:

Burning (Which I just saw a couple of days ago and starts Glenn from the Walking Dead)
Enemy
Wind River
The Invitation

Blake
05-25-2019, 12:50 AM
I watch more Netflix originals than I do Prime, personally. I dropped cable 6 years ago.

Right now I'm working on Sneaky Pete and Bosch on Prime. I've got nothing going over on Netflix.

I get tired of thinking I'm finding a fresh new Netflix original only to find it's a Euro clunker.

I'll probably drop it after Stranger Things 3

Chucho
05-25-2019, 12:37 PM
Right now I'm working on Sneaky Pete and Bosch on Prime. I've got nothing going over on Netflix.

I get tired of thinking I'm finding a fresh new Netflix original only to find it's a Euro clunker.

Same goes for their "new" documentaries too. I wont lie, that does start to disappoint.

aj3292
05-25-2019, 01:13 PM

Edit: I’m not referring to the premium channel movies like HBO, Showtime, STARZ, etc.

Every time I want to watch a movie, I look for it on Netflix and find it's only available on Prime, which I don't have right now. It's quite annoying. It used to be possible to rent a ton of movies from Amazon without being a Prime member, but that doesn't seem to be available anymore.

leemajors
05-25-2019, 07:27 PM

Yeah I like those two on Prime, but they are really the only ones that have interested me so far.

Blake
06-25-2019, 11:55 PM
"NBC has decided to remove "The Office" from Netflix in 2021 and include the show in the company's new streaming service. The deal will be exclusive for five years.

NBC announced the decision to remove "The Office" in a statement on Tuesday. The hit comedy was the most-watched Netflix show in 2018, according to data analytics firm Jumpshot. The move bolsters the potential appeal of NBC's ad-supported streaming service, which is set to launch in the first quarter of 2020.

A person familiar with the negotiations said Netflix made an offer to keep it, but the offer was rejected. Netflix was willing to pay up to $90 million a year for the rights, but NBC topped that offer and will pay $100 million. ("The Office" was produced by Universal Television, a different division of NBCUniversal, in association with Deedle-Dee Productions and Reveille Productions.) One idea under consideration was to split the rights, with Netflix being the home for ad-free watching, and NBC's service being the ad-supported option....."

Oh another streaming service. Yippee

I guess Netflix won't die but will become just another streaming channel.

Cable tv seems to be ready to circle the drain in the next five years for sure.

lefty
06-26-2019, 11:31 AM
More torrenting imo

Reck
06-26-2019, 03:32 PM
"NBC has decided to remove "The Office" from Netflix in 2021 and include the show in the company's new streaming service. The deal will be exclusive for five years.

NBC announced the decision to remove "The Office" in a statement on Tuesday. The hit comedy was the most-watched Netflix show in 2018, according to data analytics firm Jumpshot. The move bolsters the potential appeal of NBC's ad-supported streaming service, which is set to launch in the first quarter of 2020.

A person familiar with the negotiations said Netflix made an offer to keep it, but the offer was rejected. Netflix was willing to pay up to $90 million a year for the rights, but NBC topped that offer and will pay $100 million. ("The Office" was produced by Universal Television, a different division of NBCUniversal, in association with Deedle-Dee Productions and Reveille Productions.) One idea under consideration was to split the rights, with Netflix being the home for ad-free watching, and NBC's service being the ad-supported option....."

NBC might live to regret that decision in my opinion.

I dont know of a single person who says oh I love me some NBC, I gotta get on that!

At least Disney has a massive library of movies and lined up shows they will hit the road with so it makes a lot more sense for them to pull all the Marvel movies currently on Netflix. What is NBC even offering? Show's that have been off air for the last 5-10 years?

Chucho
06-26-2019, 03:36 PM
Yeah, I can't see much that NBC can offer beyond shows that have been in syndication since their original runs like Seinfeld and Friends. Only real material I see of value is if they had the full SNL archives on board. I'd binge on those for a month or two before cancelling.

Pavlov
06-26-2019, 03:42 PM
I can see Comcast's making it a free ad-supported service, especially if they aren't adding any original content.

Blake
06-26-2019, 08:20 PM
I'm guessing that NBC will be providing live broadcasts that should bring people in.

Same with Disney... i.e.. abc, ESPN, Fox sports...

Amazon is already ahead in that... Netflix needs to jump into live action quick, imo.

Blake
06-26-2019, 08:24 PM
Shit, if I'm Netflix I work out some kind of exclusive mma deal.

Reck
06-26-2019, 08:50 PM
Shit, if I'm Netflix I work out some kind of exclusive mma deal.

I dont know why you're under the impression Netflix is about to go bankrupt or be taken over if they dont do x. :lol

Not sure going into live tv is such a get anymore. I mean outside of having a sports package maybe. Cable is truly useless now.

Soon all that will be left is the news network channels.

Trainwreck2100
06-26-2019, 10:08 PM
I'm guessing that NBC will be providing live broadcasts that should bring people in.

Same with Disney... i.e.. abc, ESPN, Fox sports...

Amazon is already ahead in that... Netflix needs to jump into live action quick, imo.

Disney sold that to sinclair

Blake
06-27-2019, 01:13 PM
I dont know why you're under the impression Netflix is about to go bankrupt or be taken over if they dont do x. :lol

Not sure going into live tv is such a get anymore. I mean outside of having a sports package maybe. Cable is truly useless now.

Soon all that will be left is the news network channels.

Eh Netflix might not go bankrupt but I'm not buying any stock. I think these other streaming services are catching up with and soon will pass Netflix.

Sports is the only reason I still have cable. As soon as I don't need it to watch every Spurs game, every NFL game and every Tech football game I'll drop it.

SpursforSix
06-27-2019, 01:55 PM

Honestly, if someone hasn't already seen all the Office originally, or on Netflix, or the numerous channels syndicating it, chances are they're not going to care.

johnsmith
06-27-2019, 02:32 PM
Honestly, if someone hasn't already seen all the Office originally, or on Netflix, or the numerous channels syndicating it, chances are they're not going to care.

That’s not necessarily true. I almost always put the office on when I’m bored or when I just want background noise, and I’ve watched the whole thing probably three or four times. I honestly will miss it enough to consider just getting rid of Netflix.

Reck
06-27-2019, 02:42 PM
That’s not necessarily true. I almost always put the office on when I’m bored or when I just want background noise, and I’ve watched the whole thing probably three or four times. I honestly will miss it enough to consider just getting rid of Netflix.

Like The Office is the only show that's on netflix you can put on as background noise?

My go tos are Dexter, Spartacus and Twilight Zone for bn. Used to be Lost but since they took that off I have had to make due.

I have tried Hulu and prime and honestly they dont measure up to Netflix in my opinion. Think it comes down to Netflix UI.

johnsmith
06-27-2019, 03:15 PM
Like The Office is the only show that's on netflix you can put on as background noise?

My go tos are Dexter, Spartacus and Twilight Zone for bn. Used to be Lost but since they took that off I have had to make due.

I have tried Hulu and prime and honestly they dont measure up to Netflix in my opinion. Think it comes down to Netflix UI.

No, you’re correct, there are obviously more options, but I’d say 90% of the time it’s currently either The Office or Parks and rec.

Blake
06-27-2019, 03:23 PM
Lol yeah my 3 current background tv shows are the Office, Parks and Rec, and Cheers

SpursforSix
06-27-2019, 04:29 PM

I'll miss it when it's off of wide syndication. But I don't' actively stream it anymore.

For background noise, I'll find something on TV. Usually TruTV where they seem to be running Impractical Jokers 90% of the time.

Pavlov
06-27-2019, 05:33 PM
I think Comcast may have started carrying Tubi in part to see how many people would use an ad-supported streaming service. The NBC site is a mess with every crappy Universal show thrown in on big pot and it took awhile to get the resolution up to speed, but there was only one 2 minute commercial break in a 30 minute sitcom. Not terrible for free; I can't see enough people paying for that even if it had The Office and Parks and Recreation.

Blake
07-08-2019, 05:51 PM
".....Losing The Office and Friends is bad, but it’s just scratching the surface. According to analytics firm Jumpshot, more than half of Netflix’s 50 most popular shows are owned by companies planning to launch their own streaming services.

Do you see what’s happening here?

Netflix is losing all the best movies and TV shows.

How could this not cripple it?

Netflix sees the writing on the wall, and is spending gobs of money to reinforce its own content library. It spent $12 billion last year, and it expects to spend another $15 billion this year.

It now invests more in content than any other American TV network. But it’s come at a steep cost. To fund its new shows, Netflix is borrowing huge sums of money. Over the past year its debt has shot up 58% to $10.3 billion. For perspective, Netflix earned $1.2 billion in profits last year...."

https://www.forbes.com/sites/stephenmcbride1/2019/07/08/netflixs-worst-nightmare-has-come-true/

More doom and gloom

Reck
07-08-2019, 06:03 PM
Yet they will be just fine.

If Netflix is in peril, than Hulu and Amazon should be closing shops any minute now.

spurraider21
07-08-2019, 06:06 PM
".....Losing The Office and Friends is bad, but it’s just scratching the surface. According to analytics firm Jumpshot, more than half of Netflix’s 50 most popular shows are owned by companies planning to launch their own streaming services.

Do you see what’s happening here?

Netflix is losing all the best movies and TV shows.

How could this not cripple it?

Netflix sees the writing on the wall, and is spending gobs of money to reinforce its own content library. It spent $12 billion last year, and it expects to spend another $15 billion this year.

It now invests more in content than any other American TV network. But it’s come at a steep cost. To fund its new shows, Netflix is borrowing huge sums of money. Over the past year its debt has shot up 58% to $10.3 billion. For perspective, Netflix earned $1.2 billion in profits last year...."

https://www.forbes.com/sites/stephenmcbride1/2019/07/08/netflixs-worst-nightmare-has-come-true/

More doom and gloom
same author as the OP... dude clearly has a bone to pick :lol

Blake
07-08-2019, 07:30 PM
Yet they will be just fine.

If Netflix is in peril, than Hulu and Amazon should be closing shops any minute now.

I like renting/buying movies from Amazon. Can't do that with Netflix

Blake
07-08-2019, 07:32 PM
same author as the OP... dude clearly has a bone to pick :lol

Everything he's saying is stuff I've been wondering.

Blake
07-30-2019, 01:21 AM
https://www.forbes.com/sites/stephenmcbride1/2019/05/21/netflix-has-175-days-left-to-pull-off-a-miracle-or-its-all-over

Long story short, Netflix went in on cable tv; Disney+ streaming service is about to go deep on Netflix.

I'd sell Netflix stock now if I had it

"....Earlier this month, the company’s shares tumbled more than 10% the day after it disclosed that it lost subscribers in the U.S. for the first time in nearly a decade, adding pressure to create attractive programming....."

https://www.wsj.com/articles/netflix-splurges-on-big-budget-movies-11564417323

Reck
08-06-2019, 09:47 PM
Damn Disney is not fucking around.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/8/6/20757626/disney-plus-espn-hulu-bundle-price-date-streaming-service

They're smart enough to know that Disney by itself wouldn't be enough to knock off the giant Netlix but you throw in Hulu and ESPN+ at a valued price (<Great deal for me since I'm a big motorsport guy and they ship most international races there) and you're probably on par with them right off the bat at 13 a month.

Pavlov
08-07-2019, 03:16 AM
Damn Disney is not fucking around.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/8/6/20757626/disney-plus-espn-hulu-bundle-price-date-streaming-service

They're smart enough to know that Disney by itself wouldn't be enough to knock off the giant Netlix but you throw in Hulu and ESPN+ at a valued price (<Great deal for me since I'm a big motorsport guy and they ship most international races there) and you're probably on par with them right off the bat at 13 a month.Yeah, that's an easy sell for me. Already have Hulu and get ESPN+ about half the year anyway.

IronMexican
08-07-2019, 04:19 AM
I would, but fuck huhu with ads. Do I really need ESPN plus?

Pavlov
08-07-2019, 06:13 AM
I would, but fuck huhu with ads. Do I really need ESPN plus?I'm sure they'd take away the ads for a couple more bucks. Chances are you don't need ESPN+ unless it has the events you want to see. It's got several UTSA sports and weekday D-League games so I subscribe September-April. YMMV.

Blake
10-04-2019, 08:34 AM
"CNBC's Jim Cramer, who popularized the acronym FAANG, said on Thursday that it's time to take out Netflix and replace it with Microsoft.

FAANG stands for Facebook, Amazon, Apple, Netflix and Google and is meant to represent a basket of big technology stocks.

"We gotta get Netflix the hell out of FAANG," Cramer said in an appearance on "Squawk on the Street." "I tell you that right now. I don't know how to do it.".....

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/10/03/cramer-we-gotta-get-netflix-the-hell-out-of-faang.html

Blake
10-04-2019, 12:00 PM
"Walt Disney Co. is banning advertising from Netflix Inc. across its entertainment TV networks, according to people familiar with the situation, a sign that the marketing wars over streaming-video are escalating as media giants battle each other for subscribers.

Disney, Comcast Corp. and AT&T Inc. are set to spend hundreds of millions of dollars on advertising over the next year to attract consumers to their new streaming-video services as they look to compete with industry juggernaut Netflix. Netflix spent $1.8 billion on advertising last year and will be playing defense against Hollywood’s new entrants.

Disney, whose properties include ABC and Freeform, earlier this year put out an edict to staffers that it wouldn’t accept ads from any rival streaming services, but later reversed course and found a compromise with nearly every company, the people familiar with the situation said. The exception was Netflix....."

https://www.wsj.com/articles/disney-bans-netflix-ads-as-streamings-marketing-wars-intensify-11570199291

Netflix getting pushed further out alone on their island

leemajors
10-04-2019, 01:15 PM
I only see commercials when I watch sports.

Reck
10-04-2019, 03:35 PM
Netflix getting pushed further out alone on their island

We call it an act of desperation to get rid of their biggest threat.

The other link you posted only confirms it. Guy wants Netflix out of whatever he's talking about...but "doesn't know how to do it."

Pavlov
10-04-2019, 03:39 PM

The other link you posted only confirms it. Guy wants Netflix out of whatever he's talking about...but "doesn't know how to do it."He just doesn't know how to avoid calling the new group AMFAG.

Blake
10-04-2019, 04:04 PM

The other link you posted only confirms it. Guy wants Netflix out of whatever he's talking about...but "doesn't know how to do it."

I don't sense desperation on Disney's part, tbh

Reck
10-04-2019, 04:13 PM
He just doesn't know how to avoid calling the new group AMFAG.

:lol

Blake
10-04-2019, 04:17 PM
He just doesn't know how to avoid calling the new group AMFAG.

Lol

Spurtacular
10-06-2019, 02:17 PM
Disney stock could drop in the short term; but priced great for anyone wanting a good 5-year stock, tbh.