PDA

View Full Version : Derrick White doesn't make All-Defense team!

Man Mountain
05-22-2019, 01:55 PM
https://i.imgur.com/pq2qgdz.png

:madrun

BatManu20
05-22-2019, 01:55 PM
Not surprised. Didn’t think he would, though he deserved it. Myles Turner and Patrick Beverly not making it are the real robberies though.

look_at_g_shred
05-22-2019, 02:03 PM
This should make him come back hungrier tbh

look_at_g_shred
05-22-2019, 02:03 PM
Don't worry man next season's backcourt will be such a defensive dynamo in Murray/White

exstatic
05-22-2019, 02:06 PM
Peeps recognizing that Kawhi coasted. He had the lowest vote total on the two teams. This might be his last selection.

Dex
05-22-2019, 02:09 PM
He's still a small name, this was basically his rookie season, and he missed a good chunk of the year. He had a good defensive season, but this shouldn't really be a surprise.

DC23
05-22-2019, 02:19 PM
Eric Bledsoe?

exstatic
05-22-2019, 02:21 PM
Eric Bledsoe?

:lol That's what I was thinking. I'd write that off to the vote being taken away from coaches and given to the media.

Dex
05-22-2019, 02:53 PM
https://i.imgur.com/tRFDLW7.png

Others receiving votes.

timvp
05-22-2019, 02:56 PM
So White finished in seventh place for guards? Not bad, not bad.

Considering how bad the Spurs were defensively as a team, it wasn't really realistic for him to make an All-Defense team, tbh.

But, man, that White/Murray backcourt could be amazing defensively :hungry:

timtonymanu
05-22-2019, 02:58 PM
Meh, hype has a lot to do with it. Murray has way more reputation among the NBA so not surprised Derrick got snubbed. I’m with timvp. I’m excited for the Murray/White defensive duo. Anything to clean my eyes from the awful Patty-Bryn-Marco trifecta of shit.

cjw
05-22-2019, 03:16 PM
Don't worry man next season's backcourt will be such a defensive dynamo in Murray/White

Two top 10 defensive guards isn’t a bad thing. Though imagine this team with Green/Kawhi too. Basically what Milwaukee’s been doing this year.

FkLA
05-22-2019, 03:17 PM
Absolutely fucking robbed. Wasnt he first in DRPM among PGs? Goes to show you that being a humble kid, that just goes about his business will get you overlooked. Maybe he would've gotten the nod if he was an Instagram baller and sat courtside next to LeBron during Summer League.

Can't wait till Pop disrespects him some more by relegating him to a 6th man role. :rolleyes

DAF86
05-22-2019, 03:27 PM
So White finished in seventh place for guards? Not bad, not bad.

Considering how bad the Spurs were defensively as a team, it wasn't really realistic for him to make an All-Defense team, tbh.

But, man, that White/Murray backcourt could be amazing defensively :hungry:

Too bad Pop will probably start Forbes instead of one of them.

tmtcsc
05-22-2019, 03:33 PM
Seeing Danny Green on that list is a fucking joke. Almost as much as the last time he actually made it. He's a shell of what he USED to be back in 2014 or 2015.

exstatic
05-22-2019, 03:37 PM
Seeing Danny Green on that list is a fucking joke. Almost as much as the last time he actually made it. He's a shell of what he USED to be back in 2014 or 2015.

You realize that he didn't make the team, right? He got some votes. Then again, two fools, likely from the Houston media, gave Harden two first team votes.

cjw
05-22-2019, 03:57 PM
You realize that he didn't make the team, right? He got some votes. Then again, two fools, likely from the Houston media, gave Harden two first team votes.

Lowry, handcheck Curry and Donovan Mitchell too. Forward voting seems less random.

BillMc
05-22-2019, 04:01 PM
I kind of lost my respect for the media's assessment of defense when...

a. Tim Duncan, possibly the best defender of the last 20 years, never won a DPOY

AND

b. Kobe Bryant kept making All-Defensive teams years after he'd stopped working on that end to preserve energy for offense. (At least the media, seems to recognize the same game with LeBron)

K...
05-22-2019, 04:02 PM
Sad that lamarcus can't get even pity votes.

cd98
05-22-2019, 04:11 PM
Spurs were so terrible at defense last year there is no way any of them should have won a spot. I don't think a player should be considered if his team wasn't a top 6 or 7 defense. Otherwise, the voters are probably basing their decision on empty defensive stats like steals and blocks.

RC_Drunkford
05-22-2019, 04:41 PM
WTF have Eric Bledsoe and Klay Thompson been doing to get on NBA All-Defensive teams? White is better than both of them and definitely should've made the team. Only thing why I'm mad is cause it would've really helped him with the refs next season

D-Robinson 50 fan
05-22-2019, 05:02 PM
What's more crazy besides Beverley not making a team is Harden got more 1st place votes than PJ Tucker. Smh

spurraider21
05-22-2019, 05:42 PM
Absolutely fucking robbed. Wasnt he first in DRPM among PGs? Goes to show you that being a humble kid, that just goes about his business will get you overlooked. Maybe he would've gotten the nod if he was an Instagram baller and sat courtside next to LeBron during Summer League.

Can't wait till Pop disrespects him some more by relegating him to a 6th man role. :rolleyes
:lol salty that team leader murray already has an all defensive team not

slick'81
05-22-2019, 05:45 PM
Well gues hes no dejounte murray

ZeusWillJudge
05-22-2019, 06:08 PM
I kind of lost my respect for the media's assessment of defense when...

a. Tim Duncan, possibly the best defender of the last 20 years, never won a DPOY

AND

b. Kobe Bryant kept making All-Defensive teams years after he'd stopped working on that end to preserve energy for offense. (At least the media, seems to recognize the same game with LeBron)

Or Allen Iverson being named an All Star when he'd played just 24 games, and was out of the league by the time the vote was taken?

FkLA
05-22-2019, 06:17 PM
:lol salty that team leader murray already has an all defensive team not

shut up faggit

BillMc
05-22-2019, 06:17 PM
Or Allen Iverson being named an All Star when he'd played just 24 games, and was out of the league by the time the vote was taken?

Truth.

phxspurfan
05-22-2019, 06:33 PM
White didn't play enough to deserve it but :lol Marcus Smart and :rollin Bledsoe making first team. Beverley would be a good candidate for 1st team. So would Covington (2.3SPG, 1.3 BPG), Jimmy Butler (1.9/0.6), PJ Tucker for 2nd team (1.6/0.5), etc etc

http://proxy.espn.com/nba/seasonleaders?sort=avgSteals

FkLA
05-22-2019, 06:35 PM
WTF have Eric Bledsoe and Klay Thompson been doing to get on NBA All-Defensive teams? White is better than both of them and definitely should've made the team. Only thing why I'm mad is cause it would've really helped him with the refs next season

I was about to say that Thompson has been a good defender for a while, but does this dude only do it in spurts/in the playoffs? He had a -1.80 DRPM (92nd out of 114 SGs). I understand that there's anomalies in everything but not sure if that's the case when it's so bad.

phxspurfan
05-22-2019, 06:37 PM
Peeps recognizing that Kawhi coasted. He had the lowest vote total on the two teams. This might be his last selection.

He didn't play half the damn season, and coasted like fuck for most of the games he did play. Against inferior competition most of the time too. Never shut down any top players really. Just got a few highlight plays that are total BS. Marcus Smart would be a much better 2nd teamer than Kawhi this year

FkLA
05-22-2019, 06:49 PM
White didn't play enough to deserve it but :lol Marcus Smart and :rollin Bledsoe making first team. Beverley would be a good candidate for 1st team. So would Covington (2.3SPG, 1.3 BPG), Jimmy Butler (1.9/0.6), PJ Tucker for 2nd team (1.6/0.5), etc etc

http://proxy.espn.com/nba/seasonleaders?sort=avgSteals

Bullshit. Holliday played 67 games, Donkey 66, Nephew 60. White played 67. And before you throw the MPG argument out there, Instagram Baller got it last year playing 21 MPG (White played 26 MPG). The Spurs' defense went from atrocious, bottom of the barrel to middle of the pack by simply inserting him into the line-up. The dude got snubbed because he's a quiet, unassuming guy...the only PG that's even in his class as far as man-to-man defense goes is Beverly.

The kid was being asked to guard Nephew one night, locking down Irving another. He made both top rookies (Doncic and Young) look like trash. Outside of that 4th Qtr explosion in Game 2, he completely sonned Jamal Murray on defense. He's an awesome team defender too. Some guards have a knack for drawing charges (Lowry), others can help with blocks around the basket (Green)--White has a knack for both. And he does all this with zero respect from the refs.

phxspurfan
05-22-2019, 06:56 PM
Bullshit. Holliday played 67 games, Donkey 66, Nephew 60. White played 67. And before you throw the MPG argument out there, Instagram Baller got it last year playing 21 MPG (White played 26 MPG). The Spurs' defense went from atrocious, bottom of the barrel to middle of the pack by simply inserting him into the line-up. The dude got snubbed because he's a quiet, unassuming guy...the only PG that's even in his class as far as man-to-man defense goes is Beverly.

The kid was being asked to guard Nephew one night, locking down Irving another. He made both top rookies (Doncic and Young) look like trash. Outside of that 4th Qtr explosion in Game 2, he completely sonned Jamal Murray on defense. He's an awesome team defender too. Some guards have a knack for drawing charges (Lowry), others can help with blocks around the basket (Green)--White has a knack for both. And he does all this with zero respect from the refs.

White got destroyed by Murray during what was basically a reverse sweep after his peak 36 pt game... Game 7 he had to be removed from the rotation altogether.

I like White as much as this board does on average, but guys like Marcus Smart were more deserving. If there was a 3rd team he should be there IMO. But with only 4 guard spots among 2 teams, I see it as:

Beverley
Smart
RoCo
Jimmy Butler

with Jrue Holiday also in there. And then maybe Bledsoe and White.

FkLA
05-22-2019, 07:00 PM
White got destroyed by Murray during what was basically a reverse sweep after his peak 36 pt game... Game 7 he had to be removed from the rotation altogether.

I like White as much as this board does on average, but guys like Marcus Smart were more deserving. If there was a 3rd team he should be there IMO. But with only 4 guard spots among 2 teams, I see it as:

Beverley
Smart
RoCo
Jimmy Butler

Destroyed? Are you kidding me? Murray struggled to get his shot of all series long.

MultiTroll
05-22-2019, 07:30 PM
Perspective:

Stephon Curry given a 1st place vote.

Would like to see tradition continued and phuck this media vote farce and answer back Timmy Duncan style with legit, non ref aided Championships.

exstatic
05-22-2019, 07:48 PM

Beverley
Smart
RoCo
Jimmy Butler

RoCo is not a guard, but does deserve Kawhi’s bogus forward spot.

TDMVPDPOY
05-22-2019, 08:11 PM
klay making the team, htf has he shut down this season?

kawhi coasting... they gave him that spot to make up for the mvp snub cause he only played +55 games

DAF86
05-22-2019, 10:20 PM

The joke is that Danny Green didn't make an all-defense team, tbh.

SpurPadre
05-22-2019, 10:27 PM

Yeah, he sure was quite and unassuming in Game 7, that's for sure.

cutewizard
05-22-2019, 10:39 PM
:bang

Babyboy
05-23-2019, 12:07 AM
marcus smart and Bledsoe first team lol, this was Murrays year to make the first team tbh, the media atleast puts him over smart

jgome21
05-23-2019, 01:51 AM
easy because there were other better guards defensively

Down Under
05-23-2019, 04:24 AM
Have people actually watched Kawhi play defense this year? He hasn't been running back, hardly tries to fight around screens until the last 5 minutes of games. Getting the Kobe treatment.

Philthemage
05-23-2019, 07:26 AM
Disagree. The defense for the team was actually superb and what got us into the playoffs. It was our offense which was inconsistent and sputtered, especially when we were on the road.

8FOR!3
05-23-2019, 07:51 AM
James Harden getting votes...but I’m not too disappointed where Derrick White ended up. Maybe we should consider adding Jeff Bzdelik to our coaching staff. He was one of the best things Houston had going for them and they let him go

R. DeMurre
05-23-2019, 01:56 PM

White led all point guards in DRPM briefly, but finished the season 5th.

http://www.espn.com/nba/statistics/rpm/_/sort/DRPM/position/1

TD 21
05-23-2019, 03:31 PM
Fair enough, but :lmao at Scumbag and Thompson making it. Media still campaigning to be the former's go-to and slurping the latter's organization.

Sure, they left the latter off All-NBA (rightly so; he had no business even receiving serious consideration), but that was to do their darlings a favor by helping their bottom line going forward, making it more digestible to max out him and Green, as well as spend in full whatever exceptions they have each off season.