PDA

View Full Version : Where does ST get the assumption that Milutonov is coming over ever?

Dejounte
05-24-2019, 06:32 PM
There has been no indication whatsoever that the Spurs are planning to bring this guy over. This reminds me of another Adam Hanga situation where the Spurs had already given up on the dude and ST keeps clinging on the the hope that he might come over but obviously never did. The Spurs have said positive words about Eubanks and has shown more signs of being invested in him than they ever have for Milutonov. It's time to let go.

r0drig0lac
05-24-2019, 06:41 PM
it's like Hanga, people will keep talking about it, however Nikola will never be here (at least in a spurs tshirt)

Spurtacular
05-24-2019, 06:41 PM
It's never an assumption that a Euro stash will make it over to the Spurs.

Spurtacular
05-24-2019, 06:42 PM
It's never an assumption that a Euro stash will make it over to the Spurs.

I was skeptical of this pick at the time. Weird to use a first rounder on a long-term stash while we were in contention.

timvp
05-24-2019, 06:44 PM
There has been no indication whatsoever that the Spurs are planning to bring this guy over. This reminds me of another Adam Hanga situation where the Spurs had already given up on the dude and ST keeps clinging on the the hope that he might come over but obviously never did. The Spurs have said positive words about Eubanks and has shown more signs of being invested in him than they ever have for Milutonov. It's time to let go.

Eh, when is there ever any indication whether the Spurs will or won't bring over a draft-and-stash prospect?

You're confused about the Hanga situation. He's the one who thought the Spurs were going to bring him over. Apparently, they told him they were planning on doing so ... but then things changed (IIRC, it was one of the ramifications from Manu demanding more money) and the Spurs no longer had the space to bring him over. SpursTalk thought Hanga was coming over but that was because he was expecting it too.

timvp
05-24-2019, 06:45 PM
Weird to use a first rounder on a long-term stash while we were in contention.

Worked out well with Splitter, tbh.

Spurtacular
05-24-2019, 06:52 PM
Worked out well with Splitter, tbh.

Was it worth passing up on Marc Gasol?

D-Robinson 50 fan
05-24-2019, 06:56 PM
I would like to see them trade his draft rights if they aren’t going to bring him over. He played well in the Euroleague and will only be 25 if brought over this season.

Hanga at 24/25 wasn’t as good or starting in as good a league as Milutinov. So that’s why I feel the Spurs should do something with his draft rights.

timvp
05-24-2019, 07:08 PM
Was it worth passing up on Marc Gasol?

:rolleyes @ holding the Spurs to the standard of drafting the best possible player in hindsight.

Spurtacular
05-24-2019, 07:24 PM
:rolleyes @ holding the Spurs to the standard of drafting the best possible player in hindsight.

Well it's international center to international center. So, it's really just the better of the two or the worse of the two. And for that matter it was a four-year wait vs. a two-year wait.

That aside, the Splitter pick did work out quite well.

But if there's a difference in this instance, the Spurs could've drafted Larry Nance Jr. I also liked RJ Hunter at the time as maybe the best shooter in the draft. His career has been nothing though. I don't know if he was a bust or if he just didn't land in the right place. I didn't follow it. C. MaCullough and Looney have been contributors too. Those are the four picks after Nikola. The Warriors certainly weren't looking to stash at even 30. They wanted a bonafide rotation player who could be inserted, and they got one.

I frankly think the Spurs should stop wasting late first rounders on stashes. They should be getting second rounders in deals and hoping that players like Nikola fall to 40 or 50 and then use a stash. End of the first round is about where the end of immediately serviceable players are found minus two or three second rounders in the draft that is very hit or miss.

BackHome
05-24-2019, 09:49 PM
The days of us stashing first rounders are over we do not have David, Timmy, Tony, and Manu on the team anymore. As far as Hanga he was told he was coming but the Manu coming back screwed that up shit happens move on. He would have helped us a lot last year and would take him over both Cunningham and Poindexter. As far as Nikola he is one of the best centers over seas and he is young so either bring him over or use him in a trade if they do neither then RC is drinking to much

Chinook
05-25-2019, 12:26 AM

If the Spurs had given up on Milutinov, they would have released his rights. He's on a contract in Greece and is making enough money there to where he doesn't have to take a rookie-scale deal. The Spurs haven't seemed willing to pay the full-MLE deal Milutinov wants. This year, the team doesn't look to need an MLE-level player, and Milutinov may well come down. There's no guarantee that they will come to a deal this year, but it's gotten more likely.

I am not the biggest Milutinov fan out there. In fact, I went ballistic when they drafted him. But he's a pretty decent player. Poeltl has a higher ceiling, but he's not exactly a top-notch prospect either. The Spurs would likely to well in bringing Nik over now that he's in his prime. They'll need a new center who understands the system and who fits with White and Murray sooner than later.

smaka
05-25-2019, 03:00 PM
If the Spurs had given up on Milutinov, they would have released his rights. He's on a contract in Greece and is making enough money there to where he doesn't have to take a rookie-scale deal. The Spurs haven't seemed willing to pay the full-MLE deal Milutinov wants. This year, the team doesn't look to need an MLE-level player, and Milutinov may well come down. There's no guarantee that they will come to a deal this year, but it's gotten more likely.

I have heard that his team in Europe (Olympiacos) is having financial problems and that he hasn't recieved salary in 7 months. I won't say this info is 100% reliable but I'm sure it's not just made up out of boredom.