PDA

View Full Version : What Does Teaching ‘White Privilege’ Actually Accomplish? Not What You Might Think (Or Hope)

Nathan89
05-24-2019, 07:39 PM
"Her team was curious about the impact of teaching people about white privilege. Would it make people more sympathetic toward poor blacks? As part of their research, Cooley and her colleagues offered study participants a reading on white privilege—based partly on the seminal work of Peggy McIntosh, who originally formulated the concept in the 1980s—and then described to them the plight of a hypothetical man, identified as either white or black, who is down on his luck.

What the researchers found is that among social liberals—i.e., participants who had indicated that they hold liberal beliefs about social issues—reading a text about white privilege did nothing to significantly increase their sympathy toward the plight of poor blacks. But, as Cooley told me, “it did significantly bump down their sympathy for a [hypothetical] poor white person.” (Among conservative participants, there was observed no significant change in attitudes at all.)"

https://quillette.com/2019/05/23/what-does-teaching-white-privilege-actually-accomplish-not-what-you-might-think-or-hope/

Turns out that popular feminist doctrine that has been spewed to virtually everyone over the past few decades is not beneficial to whites or blacks. Unfortunately, the cancerous feminist talking point that has spread through society is not neutral it's harmful to whites. Which really explains a lot about our current state of affairs tbh

ElNono
05-24-2019, 08:25 PM
So what it did accomplish?

FrostKing
05-24-2019, 08:44 PM
Blacks? Won't they be only the 4th largest demographic soon? Imagine being so concerned bought the plight of Muslims in Europe

Isitjustme?
05-25-2019, 06:20 AM
Nathan89 whining about the HUGE problems white guys have again :lol

Thanos
05-25-2019, 07:53 AM
Nathan thinks that whining about feminists will somehow get him closer to losing his virginity :lmao

Winehole23
05-25-2019, 09:42 AM
Quillette is a gaggle of men's rights advocates, 1990s kulturkampf conservatives and race science quacks. Sort of a New Criterion for the nationalist set, it's there to give a respectable veneer of intellectualism to crass bigotry and white grievance.

Tailor-made for the likes of Nathan89, tbh.

Winehole23
05-25-2019, 09:45 AM
Bring out the fainting couch, because HERE BE DRAGONS.

pgardn
05-25-2019, 09:48 AM
You have no fucking clue what self reflection is.
You have never asked yourself what it would be like to be born female with skin color.
You need a good Hollywood make up artist and need to spend a month in costume.
It’s pretty clear your snowflake demeanor will help you in your new character.

You could be taken more seriously if you just said I’m a white male and therefore I’m a step ahead and that’s just tough luck on the others

TheGreatYacht
05-25-2019, 10:06 AM
Nathan thinks that whining about feminists will somehow get him closer to losing his virginity :lmao

He's stuck on identity politics and the cultural wars, the very same thing his side accuses the left of. One would think he'd learn after watching Ben Shapiro get destroyed.

Blacks? Won't they be only the 4th largest demographic soon? Imagine being so concerned bought the plight of Muslims in Europe

https://youtu.be/SH60VxHuwGs

ElNono
05-25-2019, 01:36 PM
Bring out the fainting couch, because HERE BE DRAGONS.

If he doesn't play the victim role, the whole charade falls apart.

Nathan89
05-25-2019, 04:30 PM
So what it did accomplish?

What did what accomplish? The quote says what happened.

Nathan89
05-25-2019, 04:33 PM

Just linking a study that links mainstream feminist doctrine to people not caring about whites. I guess you are the outcome of that indoctrination.

Nathan89
05-25-2019, 04:36 PM
These general perspectives aren't just held by feminists. Many people on this forum who don't call themselves feminists spew the same perspective.

Pavlov
05-25-2019, 04:40 PM
When were the subjects taught white privilege?

Spurminator
05-25-2019, 04:49 PM
Study sounds like it focused too much on examples of poor whites and poor minorities. Privilege isn't limited to those below the poverty line.

I don't really believe poor urban whites have much, if any, privilege or advantage over their urban peers. Urban poverty is obviously diverse and breaking the cycle of poverty in cities is difficult across the board.

Outside of cities, and above the poverty line, it'd be hard to argue that it's not much easier to be white than otherwise. But I'm sure OP will try to make that argument.

Pavlov
05-25-2019, 05:02 PM
I feel strongly that white privilege lessons are still important because they highlight the fact that racism persists in our society. In fact, across several studies, which we are preparing for publication, we find that teaching people about white privilege leads both liberals and conservatives to be more likely to perceive racism when Black (vs. white) men are shot by police. Thus, instead of trying to decide whether white privilege lessons are “good” or “bad,” we should think more about whether they are likely to have the effects we intend.

One possibility is that discussions of privilege may benefit from taking a more intersectional lens. For example, although privilege certainly occurs because of race, it can also emerge based on social class, gender, sexual orientation, age, ability, nationality, and so on. Because of this, most of us have experienced both privilege and marginalization at some point.

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/neazxq/the-disturbing-thing-i-learned-studying-white-privilege-and-liberals

So she certainly doesn't say stop teaching about white privilege.

AaronY
05-25-2019, 05:28 PM
Nathan89=A White Man in 2019 USA who feels sorry for himself and his race. Plus he perceives himself to be in a persecuted minority group all day and night.

Nathan89 also=A Guy who complains about people thinking of themselves as victims since thats a weak mindset.

DarrinS
05-25-2019, 06:55 PM
:lol these guys high AF

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcYauOTwDXQ

HarlemHeat37
05-25-2019, 07:07 PM
I bet Nathan is the type who often wonders why he isn't allowed to say nigga in public:lol

koriwhat
05-26-2019, 05:19 PM
White privilege is almost as good as russiagate. Fuck all you weak guilt ridden whites!

pgardn
05-26-2019, 11:07 PM
White privilege is almost as good as russiagate. Fuck all you weak guilt ridden whites!

So you think Russia did NOT interfere with our elections?
or what?

ElNono
05-26-2019, 11:40 PM
What did what accomplish? The quote says what happened.

Which one? How that 'accomplish' anything?

Chucho
05-27-2019, 10:42 AM
LOL, "white privilege" is somewhat mythical. Celebrity and rich privilege are very real though.

Have enough money and you can get away with murder, rape and sexual crimes of the nature including homosexual and heterosexual pedophilia and so on.

ElNono
05-27-2019, 11:33 AM
LOL, "white privilege" is somewhat mythical. Celebrity and rich privilege are very real though.

Have enough money and you can get away with murder, rape and sexual crimes of the nature including homosexual and heterosexual pedophilia and so on.

Has nothing to do with that, actually... it's unfortunate, but largely still very true that the color of your skin can, in many cases, dictate how another person reacts, behaves or judges you.

Spurminator
05-27-2019, 11:39 AM
... or hires

DarrinS
05-27-2019, 11:43 AM
... or hires

Indian and Asian privilege in my field :lol

FrostKing
05-27-2019, 12:03 PM
Has nothing to do with that, actually... it's unfortunate, but largely still very true that the color of your skin can, in many cases, dictate how another person reacts, behaves or judges you.
Haha no shit. I.e. NBA locker room.

Winehole23
05-27-2019, 12:14 PM
Indian and Asian privilege in my field :lolyou got it 180 degrees wrong.

that's not South Asian privilege, it's wage arbitrage with a big assist from immigration policy.

:lol DarrinS

FrostKing
05-27-2019, 12:30 PM
> support multiculturalism

> shocked at racial tribalism

Race is out of sight out of mind in homogenous societies

ElNono
05-27-2019, 01:49 PM
I don't think anybody is 'shocked' at racial tribalism (or any tribalism, really). Preconceptions about people is just one more challenge to overcome as a society that wants to improve.

FrostKing
05-27-2019, 02:54 PM
I don't think anybody is 'shocked' at racial tribalism (or any tribalism, really). Preconceptions about people is just one more challenge to overcome as a society that wants to improve.
Nordics are far more intelligent/educated than Americans/Westeners and yet even they realized the only way to "improve preconceptions" is to play Hitler and physically alter the genetic makeup of your population.

At some point you become the very villian you sought to dispel.

Winehole23
05-27-2019, 02:57 PM
Who's playing Hitler?

AaronY
05-28-2019, 11:03 PM
Just linking a study that links mainstream feminist doctrine to people not caring about whites. I guess you are the outcome of that indoctrination.
Nathan89=A White Man in 2019 USA who feels sorry for himself and his race. Plus he perceives himself to be in a persecuted minority group all day and night.

Nathan89 also=A Guy who complains about people thinking of themselves as victims since thats a weak mindset.

koriwhat
05-28-2019, 11:47 PM
So you think Russia did NOT interfere with our elections?
or what?

Russia, china, uk, aus, et al... are you so delusional to give a pass to the treasonous past admin for spying on US citizens and also the pres elect way before he even said he was going to run fpr pres? Fucking retards the lot of you!

Trainwreck2100
05-29-2019, 01:42 AM
Russia, china, uk, aus, et al... are you so delusional to give a pass to the treasonous past admin for spying on US citizens and also the pres elect way before he even said he was going to run fpr pres? Fucking retards the lot of you!

The tap before he was running was a tap in the tower that wasn't for Trump but someone else.

ElNono
05-29-2019, 06:39 AM
Nordics are far more intelligent/educated than Americans/Westeners and yet even they realized the only way to "improve preconceptions" is to play Hitler and physically alter the genetic makeup of your population.

That's both quite the unsupported claim, and decidedly not true. You should know, as the vast majority of immigrants into a country like Norway are Polish.

pgardn
05-29-2019, 07:34 AM

Thats NOT wtf I asked you.

We know what we have done, our press has exposed us. We tell on ourselves you dumbass. This IS an important part of a democracy.

Now answer the question.
Instead of drooling and spitting all over yourself.

pgardn
05-29-2019, 07:36 AM

So you are the outlier for your folk for stating something so ridiculous.

koriwhat
05-29-2019, 12:18 PM
Thats NOT wtf I asked you.

We know what we have done, our press has exposed us. We tell on ourselves you dumbass. This IS an important part of a democracy.

Now answer the question.
Instead of drooling and spitting all over yourself.

I answered it already. Not my problem if you're dense.

FrostKing
05-29-2019, 12:22 PM
https://youtu.be/omMpqbuyDdc

boutons_deux
05-29-2019, 12:29 PM
"Nordics are far more intelligent/educated than Americans/Westeners"

evidence, Mr Blood and Soil Aryan?

R. DeMurre
05-29-2019, 12:31 PM
:lol these guys high AF

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcYauOTwDXQ

Who is that comedian? I've never seen him before.

pgardn
05-29-2019, 07:25 PM
I answered it already. Not my problem if you're dense.

oh

The everybody does it card.
Play that one so you don’t I have to look at cases individually.

You tell me the last time we tried to have Putin voted out?
Why would we in the bastion of democracy, Russia?

In other words, there is a difference.

koriwhat
05-29-2019, 10:15 PM
oh

The everybody does it card.
Play that one so you don’t I have to look at cases individually.

You tell me the last time we tried to have Putin voted out?
Why would we in the bastion of democracy, Russia?

In other words, there is a difference.

They're the players so why do you specifically want to dismiss their involvement and only want to talk about russia? Obama, his admin, the dnc, and hillary were involved too but you'd really want to keep them out of this conversation.

You're just a brain dead zombie.

koriwhat
05-29-2019, 10:17 PM
As well pg, why don't you tell us all about how you applauded the dnc's meddling in our midterms recently? Want to dismiss them too? They used some of the same "russian" tactics too... oh yeah, i forgot, you're a beta lefty loser. :tu

Pavlov
05-29-2019, 10:18 PM
Was that even the DNC? I think you're probably completely wrong.

pgardn
05-29-2019, 11:43 PM
As well pg, why don't you tell us all about how you applauded the dnc's meddling in our midterms recently? Want to dismiss them too? They used some of the same "russian" tactics too... oh yeah, i forgot, you're a beta lefty loser. :tu

What specifically did the DNC do tell us?

You got that confused with North Carolina the red team problem?
Do you need me to go through that with you ?

pgardn
05-29-2019, 11:47 PM
They're the players so why do you specifically want to dismiss their involvement and only want to talk about russia? Obama, his admin, the dnc, and hillary were involved too but you'd really want to keep them out of this conversation.

You're just a brain dead zombie.

How are you informed about Obama, Hilary and the rest?
As the Russian press released the news of the Blatant attempts of Putin to interfere with our elections ?m
There is a difference you live in a democracy and you don’t even realize it.

koriwhat
05-30-2019, 03:04 PM
How are you informed about Obama, Hilary and the rest?
As the Russian press released the news of the Blatant attempts of Putin to interfere with our elections ?m
There is a difference you live in a democracy and you don’t even realize it.

I live in a democratic republic tbh.

Hillary paid for that dossier... keep pretending otherwise. Her source was a shitty ex fbi informant in steele, she funneled the money through her lawyers, and mifsud is no russian spy. Here's to barr bringing down the cabal soon enough! :tu

midnightpulp
05-30-2019, 09:32 PM
> support multiculturalism

> shocked at racial tribalism

Race is out of sight out of mind in homogenous societies

I think everyone should be required to take an entry level course on genetics. Maybe racism would disappear. I've always said how silly it is that we form these so-called "tribes" around differing phenotypical traits (meaning superficial) that in no way translate into two people of the same "race" being more genetically similar at all levels because they share similar genetic melanin markers. A European and East African can often be more genetically similar than a West African and East African.

Let's think about sprinting speed and jumping ability here. East Africans are terrible athletes aside from being distance runners, so a West African and European probably have much more genetic similarity with regard to fast twitch muscle fiber and physiology than a West African and East African. So are the European and West African more "racially similar" now? You see how stupid it is to try and neatly divide "races" by skin color or other phenotypical traits like hair and eye color.

The study of genetic variations in Homo sapiens shows that there is more genetic variation within populations than between populations. This means that two random individuals from any one group are almost as different as any two random individuals from the entire world.

https://www.genome.gov/25019961/online-education-kit-activity-1-genetic-variation-in-populations

I also find it puzzling that some people think racially similar societies would automatically be kumbaya with one another. Japan hates Korea and vice versa. Japan slaughtered the Chinese in a genocidal effort once upon a time despite the Japanese being descended from the Chinese. Europe waged countless wars with each other for millennia despite the continent all being "white people."

The answer to racism and tribalism is hopefully curing at some distant time in the future this idiotic need human beings have of feeling superior to people "not like them." You see tribalism in play for things as innocuous as differing music tastes, with one person criticism the other as less intelligent for not liking this or that. That's the real disease. Not multicultural societies.

Othyus Lalanne
05-31-2019, 11:25 AM

You mean the enrire civic culture?

Winehole23
05-31-2019, 12:46 PM
http://files.rightwingwatch.org/uploads/ingraham-700x390.png (http://www.rightwingwatch.org/post/heres-who-fox-news-considers-prominent-conservative-voices/ingraham/)

FrostKing
05-31-2019, 12:50 PM
http://files.rightwingwatch.org/uploads/ingraham-700x390.png (http://www.rightwingwatch.org/post/heres-who-fox-news-considers-prominent-conservative-voices/ingraham/)
Smart strategy by the Democrats to use the empty label of "hate speech" to sensor information. I am a believer that Russia did meddle in the previous Presidential election by spamming articles and sometimes they were fabricated stories. Democrats know fighting this is central to the next election and including conservative voices in the censorship kills 2 birds with 1 stone

spurraider21
05-31-2019, 12:51 PM
Smart strategy by the Democrats to use the empty label of "hate speech" to sensor information. I am a believer that Russian did meddle in the previous Presidential election by spamming articles and sometimes they were fabricated stories. Democrats know fighting this is central to the next election and including conservative voices in the censorship kills 2 birds with 1 stone
and what about the DNC hack?

FrostKing
05-31-2019, 12:52 PM
https://i.ibb.co/3YGJnrK/Screenshot-2019-05-31-10-33-30-1.png

:rollin

FrostKing
05-31-2019, 12:54 PM
and what about the DNC hack?
I thought most of that was Wikileaks. Inform me.

spurraider21
05-31-2019, 01:02 PM
I thought most of that was Wikileaks. Inform me.
wikileaks published the information that was provided to them. the hack was done by a third party. all credible evidence (and mueller report) has identified that it was the GRU behind the hack, who then provided the information to wikileaks for publishing.

there are also like 40 people that believe seth rich waltzed in and stole all the information via thumb drive, delivered the contents to wikileaks, and hillary hired a hitman to take him out

FrostKing
05-31-2019, 01:40 PM
wikileaks published the information that was provided to them. the hack was done by a third party. all credible evidence (and mueller report) has identified that it was the GRU behind the hack, who then provided the information to wikileaks for publishing.

there are also like 40 people that believe seth rich waltzed in and stole all the information via thumb drive, delivered the contents to wikileaks, and hillary hired a hitman to take him out
I agree with this theory

spurraider21
05-31-2019, 01:40 PM
I agree with this theory
which one

FrostKing
05-31-2019, 01:46 PM
which one
Russians successfully breached and provided data to Wikileaks

spurraider21
05-31-2019, 02:12 PM
Russians successfully breached and provided data to Wikileaks
:tu

there's no evidence that trump and his team were in on it though, hence the collusion investigation results

pgardn
06-02-2019, 02:06 PM
I live in a democratic republic tbh.

Hillary paid for that dossier... keep pretending otherwise. Her source was a shitty ex fbi informant in steele, she funneled the money through her lawyers, and mifsud is no russian spy. Here's to barr bringing down the cabal soon enough! :tu

So you have no problem with the Russian's NOW intefering with our elections.
thanks...:tu

boutons_deux
06-02-2019, 02:11 PM
:tu

there's no evidence that trump and his team were in on it though, hence the collusion investigation results

Russians told Jr they had dirt on Hillary, so Trash and his mafiya, 100+ contacts with Russians, knew the Russians were queering the election for Trash, against Hillary, which is illegal, but Trash and his mafiya were complicit by not reporting the Russian attack on USA to FBI.

McConnell also knew what was going on and threatened Obama not to reveal it.

spurraider21
06-02-2019, 02:40 PM
Russians told Jr they had dirt on Hillary, so Trash and his mafiya, 100+ contacts with Russians, knew the Russians were queering the election for Trash, against Hillary, which is illegal, but Trash and his mafiya were complicit by not reporting the Russian attack on USA to FBI.

not illegal to obtain oppo research

koriwhat
06-03-2019, 07:00 PM
So you have no problem with the Russian's NOW intefering with our elections.
thanks...:tu

Nah, i have a problem with the dnc, hrc, and the past admin for interfering with the 2016 election as well as putting our country through bs with the russia hoax for half of trumps 1st term. Keep sucking that liberal dick! :tu

koriwhat
06-03-2019, 07:01 PM

Funny how you disregard lynchs involvment altogether. You're a spineless sissy like the rest of them here!

FrostKing
06-04-2019, 02:47 AM
https://mobile.twitter.com/BarryStanton44/status/1135565188386643969?s=08

Winehole23
06-04-2019, 03:00 AM
Where is that and what point are you trying to make?

boutons_deux
06-04-2019, 06:55 AM
not illegal to obtain oppo research

stolen by Russia and held by US Govt's hated Assange, in the context of Trash and his mafiya, known by FBI of having 100s of Russian contacts for years.

not legit oppo

tenbeersbold
06-04-2019, 01:16 PM
https://i.ibb.co/3YGJnrK/Screenshot-2019-05-31-10-33-30-1.png

:rollin
You wanna laugh at even more Gaggle pc shite enter the term American Mathematicians...

Winehole23
06-04-2019, 03:40 PM
All three of those guys belong on the list. And just maybe your browsing habits have more to do with who popped up in your Google search than PC shite.

Spurminator
06-04-2019, 03:42 PM
If you guys want white inventors to be higher on Google results, write some articles about them.

Winehole23
06-05-2019, 08:49 AM
Quillette is a gaggle of men's rights advocates, 1990s kulturkampf conservatives and race science quacks. Sort of a New Criterion for the nationalist set, it's there to give a respectable veneer of intellectualism to crass bigotry and white grievance.

Tailor-made for the likes of Nathan89, tbh.See for example, this appeal to phrenology as empirical support for an IQ gap, which on a moment's reflection, it might well be, just not as the authors intended:

pgardn
06-05-2019, 09:35 AM
Nah, i have a problem with the dnc, hrc, and the past admin for interfering with the 2016 election as well as putting our country through bs with the russia hoax for half of trumps 1st term. Keep sucking that liberal dick! :tu

So you don’t believe Russia interfered with our elections.

And whatever dick you aresucking is contributing to hallucinations, compulsive paranoia.
I know exactly what Hillary‘s game was. Don’t overstate the past but please keep falling back on it so the present is out of your reach.

koriwhat
06-09-2019, 06:38 PM
So you don’t believe Russia interfered with our elections.

And whatever dick you aresucking is contributing to hallucinations, compulsive paranoia.
I know exactly what Hillary‘s game was. Don’t overstate the past but please keep falling back on it so the present is out of your reach.

You truly are a dipshit. I have stated Russia and many others tried to intervene yet you keep asking your same stupid ass question over and over again. You liberals are a fucking plague.

Winehole23
06-14-2019, 08:40 AM
See for example, this appeal to phrenology as empirical support for an IQ gap, which on a moment's reflection, it might well be, just not as the authors intended:

1136208869728968705The scientific provenance of Quillette's craniometry, and its speculations related thereto, are brutally demolished in this thread:

pgardn
06-14-2019, 10:28 AM
You truly are a dipshit. I have stated Russia and many others tried to intervene yet you keep asking your same stupid ass question over and over again. You liberals are a fucking plague.

Then just say it to begin with
Conversation over

You always hide behind but but but ...

One sentence and it’s over.

koriwhat
06-14-2019, 05:05 PM
Then just say it to begin with
Conversation over

You always hide behind but but but ...

One sentence and it’s over.

i hide behind nothing or else you'd have no clue what my name is or what i look like; i'm like the only transparent ST user here.

you just have an issue with the fact that it's not only russia but other countries too who try to intervene. it's not my fault that you bought the russiagate hoax hook, line, and sinker and will stick to it till your bitter end. fact is, countries meddle in elections and even your own darling golden god obama wasn't above meddling in foreign elections himself. upset? good!