https://i.imgur.com/6If1lyf.jpg

Darius Bazley

School: New Balance
Position: SF/PF
Height: 6-foot-9
Weight: 208.4
Wingspan: 7-foot-0
Draft Range: Second Round
Combine Results? Yes (https://stats.nba.com/draft/combine-anthro/)

Why: Strong, long, quick body. Good, fluid athlete. Impressive handle for his size and his age. Shooting stroke is a bit slow but otherwise looks smooth. Plays with aggression on both ends. Defensively, he can move his feet on the perimeter and will be able to bulk up to defend the post. Offensively, he can score off the dribble, finishes well and has advanced court vision. Was a top 20 recruit out of high school. Played well in the combine.

Why Not: Rep in high school was he wasn't serious enough about the game. Added to that reputation by changing his mind from Ohio State to Syracuse to G-League to a contract with New Balance. Hasn't played much over the last year. Extremely raw in most phases of the game; will need multiple years of work in order to be ready for the pros. Is he mature enough to put in the work?

Spurs Fit: At least two years in Austin with a goal of making him a small forward. And a lot of hoping and wishing for the best.

Spurs Comparison - Ceiling: Supercharged Monty Williams

Spurs Comparison - Floor: Skinny Jackie Butler

Stats (https://basketball.realgm.com/player/Darius-Bazley/Summary/107562)
Highlight Video (https://twitter.com/DraftExpress/status/1131237509114007553)
NBADraft.net Profile (https://www.nbadraft.net/players/darius-bazley)
NBADraftRoom.com Profile (http://www.nbadraftroom.com/p/dari.html)

Gordy58
05-25-2019, 01:15 AM
Wouldn’t mind him with the 29th pick, played well in the combine and really showed off his handles, athleticism, and defensive potential

BackHome
05-25-2019, 01:32 AM
Pass he not about the game he about the green

lmbebo
05-25-2019, 08:25 AM
2nd round flyer

Dejounte
05-25-2019, 08:29 AM
Probably has game but probably isnt Spur quality. Like someone said, this dude is meant for the lights and camera of Hollywood.

Russ
05-25-2019, 09:46 AM
What made me notice Bazley was the Combine -- both his measurables and the way he played in the scrimmages (video below).

Vertical jump was 37.0" (2d among 12 PFs). Lane agility was 3d out of 12 (11.09 seconds). I think he was top three in just about every test.

He's also fairly big, 6'9" in shoes with a 7.0' wingspan.

He seems to be moving up from under the radar to on the draft boards, currently up to about late to mid-2d round.

He may not be there at 49 and the Spurs may think it a reach to take him at 29.

Nevertheless, he looks to have a lot of upside for a second round pick.

vL8N1QUjV2Q

MoSpur02
05-25-2019, 10:04 AM
Would be a great 2nd round pickup if he's still there.

Dejounte
05-27-2019, 12:45 AM
The more i watch this guy, the more I like him... Like i said before, theres a question mark on his character and whether he could stay with the Spurs long term... But he could be a Dejounte Murray project in that regard, teach him values and hope he matures with the Spur way... I think he has star quality.

New board:
1. Isaiah Roby
2. Darius Bazley
3. Luka Samanic
4. Grant Williams
5. PJ Washington

If they get two of these players, ill be extremely happy.

Dejounte
05-27-2019, 12:54 AM
Btw, seems he and Dejounte are tight as seen on instagram. Constantly commenting on each other's photos. Also, Darius follows Manu Ginobili, DeMar, and Lonnie. Looks like there are connections there already

timvp
05-27-2019, 02:29 AM
Btw, seems he and Dejounte are tight as seen on instagram. Constantly commenting on each other's photos. Also, Darius follows Manu Ginobili, DeMar, and Lonnie. Looks like there are connections there already

So Dejounte's balling on Instagram could actually work out for the Spurs?

Nice.

Dejounte
05-27-2019, 06:05 AM
So Dejounte's balling on Instagram could actually work out for the Spurs?

Nice.

Its moreso both of them are part of Klutch. Lmao

DPG21920
05-27-2019, 11:53 AM
I would be fine with this at 29 honestly depending on who is still on the board.

timvp
05-27-2019, 02:42 PM
I would be fine with this at 29 honestly depending on who is still on the board.

Coincidentally, ESPN has moved him up to 29 on their Big Board.

He's a big time boom or bust prospect but I too would be fine with the Spurs picking him at 29. For someone saw young and raw, he easily passed the eye test at the combine and his measurables fit what the Spurs need so I'd be on board. If he impresses in a workout and interview, he has the talent to go in the first round.

Pavlov
05-27-2019, 02:49 PM
Yeah, if they still have a #29, there is nothing wrong with using it on this guy after due diligence.

BackHome
05-27-2019, 02:50 PM
Pass

DPG21920
05-27-2019, 02:53 PM
Coincidentally, ESPN has moved him up to 29 on their Big Board.

He's a big time boom or bust prospect but I too would be fine with the Spurs picking him at 29. For someone saw young and raw, he easily passed the eye test at the combine and his measurables fit what the Spurs need so I'd be on board. If he impresses in a workout and interview, he has the talent to go in the first round.

Spurs, while certainly not perfect, are the best organization to take boom or bust projects. They wouldn’t draft someone without feeling comfortable about their work ethic; so that alone makes me comfortable.

But SA develops players. Boom or Bust guys need three things: work ethic, a development plan and talent. SA can provide development and while SA made a living at selecting NBA level players late, now is the time where they need a few gambles.

Dejounte
05-27-2019, 03:46 PM
Spurs, while certainly not perfect, are the best organization to take boom or bust projects. They wouldn’t draft someone without feeling comfortable about their work ethic; so that alone makes me comfortable.

But SA develops players. Boom or Bust guys need three things: work ethic, a development plan and talent. SA can provide development and while SA made a living at selecting NBA level players late, now is the time where they need a few gambles.

Agreed. Boom prospects ranked for me:

1. Bol Bol
2. Bazley
3. Roby
4. Jontay Porter
5. Porter Jr
6. Talen Horton Tucker
7. Sekou D.

Boom prospects to me are defined as players who have some mixture of "odd" or unique level of skill, or has crazy explosiveness, or insane measurables. Or some player coming from a unique background. For me, Bazley has all this. His level of skill just looks elite and looks like hes had training from the elites of the NBA... Theres a video of him training with TMac. Bol bol has trained with Durant. If these players are there you take them.

19th : Bol Bol.
29th : Bazley
49th: Roby

Meanwhile....safe picks look like taking PJ Washington. Grant Williams. Cameron Johnson. Thybulle.

Dejounte
05-28-2019, 05:21 PM
https://twitter.com/DraftExpress/status/1133445125558767616?s=19

RC Buford scouting Horton Tucker and Bazley. Other teams were there: Hornets, Lakers, Heat, Nets. Im afraid one of these teams is gonna take him before us. LeBron may really want him on the Lakers.

ace3g
05-28-2019, 07:32 PM
https://twitter.com/Mike_Schmitz/status/1133460136347914240

Dejounte
05-28-2019, 07:42 PM
This dude is the total package and he is only 19. I say we nab him at 19. Hopefully he doesnt rise anymore.

ace3g
05-28-2019, 07:53 PM
Mix of Lamar Odom and Anthony Randolph.

Dejounte
05-28-2019, 08:47 PM

I see some Tmac in his game. A little Grant Hill as well.

exstatic
05-28-2019, 10:28 PM

Both complete headcases.

ZeusWillJudge
05-28-2019, 10:49 PM
There's no question that he could be a shot at grabbing a lottery caliber talent at a bargain. That fact won't be lost on a lot of GM's in a top-heavy draft class. I wouldn't be surprised to see him go before the Spurs' 29 pick.

I think he'll be an NBA player, and he could be a star. He'll likely be a pain in the ass and a distraction, but if they could give him some discipline/commitment, he would be great trade bait in a couple of years. That could be worth the investment by itself.

D-Robinson 50 fan
05-29-2019, 07:11 PM
Both complete headcases.

Lmao. I’m ashamed to say I was thinking of typing the same shit. Odom was a good player for awhile in the league though.

BackHome
05-29-2019, 11:48 PM
Why do crazy players sign New Balance shoe deals?

ZeusWillJudge
05-30-2019, 12:40 AM
Why do crazy players sign New Balance shoe deals?

He's not crazy. He's a very talented kid, just tryna get paid. If he's not the real deal, then he was crafty enough to get New Balance to give him a million bucks. I think he got some bad advice - or else he just wouldn't listen to good advice. If he had gone to college for a year, and actually done something, he would probably be looking at a much bigger payday on a guaranteed rookie deal.

College players can declare, and then opt to go back to school if it doesn't look like they will get drafted as high as they want. But this kid is sort of stuck if he doesn't get taken in the first round. He's not going to want to go play in the G-League for peanuts. (He already turned down that opportunity.) Maybe he'd take a 2-way contract, but it doesn't look like his style. I think he might go play in Europe for a couple of years.

That's why I'm skeptical of him, even though I think he really is an exceptional talent. All the "what-ifs" I think of point in the wrong direction. Unless he's good enough to crack an NBA rotation his rookie year, he looks like a problem child.

Dejounte
06-02-2019, 07:47 AM
https://youtu.be/vL8N1QUjV2Q

The lay-up move at 0:05 is something very, very few forwards especially his size can do in the NBA. This dude is going to be a star. People question his character because of his recent actions, but he seems like a good, smart kid from what I've seen on his social media...compared to someone like Murray.

ZeusWillJudge
06-02-2019, 09:41 AM
The lay-up move at 0:05 is something very, very few forwards especially his size can do in the NBA. This dude is going to be a star. People question his character because of his recent actions, but he seems like a good, smart kid from what I've seen on his social media...compared to someone like Murray.

I think you're probably right. And it's probably a mistake to pass on this level of talent, just because they can always be traded for value. If he's still there, he'd likely be a smart play. If some other team up above thinks the same thing, that's okay - he'll push someone else down that the Spurs might want.

kobyz
06-02-2019, 10:22 AM
Totally worth the risk at #29 but I'm also starting to consider the idea of taking him at #19, even though he has big bust potential, but we might be in situation we better swing for the fences trying to find a star, as he could be the next Paul George...

Chinook
06-02-2019, 10:25 AM
Totally worth the risk at #29 but I'm also starting to consider the idea of taking him at #19, even though he has big bust potential, but we might be in situation we better swing for the fences trying to find a star, as he could be the next Paul George...

I wouldn't be surprised to see him go anywhere after 10. If he gives private workouts and shows well, some team will consider the upside worth passing up on a lot of proven guys to snag him. If that happens, it just means one more good player will fall a bit closer to 19.

Dejounte
06-02-2019, 10:28 AM
I dont buy the "big bust" potential. His physical transformation since last year is nothing to scoff at. This dude is a worker. And he's had the right guidance. Compare his body fat to Ben Simmons, and it makes Ben Simmons look lazy (who is looking fat these days, there's a photo of him with his shirt off). That absolutely takes dedication.

Dejounte
06-02-2019, 10:31 AM
I also dont think the Spurs would care what mocks say about players. If a player is consistently low on other teams' big board, that doesn't factor into their decision making at all. I think if they really see something special about a player that is rated low whether due to unusual circumstances like Darius, they will get him with whatever pick necessary

kobyz
06-02-2019, 10:36 AM
I wouldn't be surprised to see him go anywhere after 10. If he gives private workouts and shows well, some team will consider the upside worth passing up on a lot of proven guys to snag him. If that happens, it just means one more good player will fall a bit closer to 19.

I'm trying to decide who I prefer with #19 if they both there, him or okpala, big long wing type, one more sure thing, one more potential...

Gordy58
06-02-2019, 12:27 PM
I wouldn’t mind him with the 19th pick at all, he’s one of the few forwards in this draft that have good handles and not just straight line drives, his performance at the combine told me a lot about him, he’s athletic(37 inch vert I believe), he can slide his feet well on defense, can shoot it a little bit. I think under our system he’d easily become a useful rotation player at the very least. It’s also encouraging to see that spurs have scouted him and he’s friends with Dejounte

Dejounte
06-02-2019, 02:22 PM
I wouldn’t mind him with the 19th pick at all, he’s one of the few forwards in this draft that have good handles and not just straight line drives, his performance at the combine told me a lot about him, he’s athletic(37 inch vert I believe), he can slide his feet well on defense, can shoot it a little bit. I think under our system he’d easily become a useful rotation player at the very least. It’s also encouraging to see that spurs have scouted him and he’s friends with Dejounte

Exactly. Prospects that only know straight line drives are a huge red flag. Part of the reason why I feel the way I do about Rui. Rui is no better than Ben Moore already. People just like the new thing. Theres nothing special about that kid.

Dr. John R. Brinkley
06-02-2019, 02:53 PM
At 29...maybe. His interview is key.

Truth4sale$
06-02-2019, 03:53 PM
Spurs need a big wing player, and they need to swing for the fences. If the guy went to college, even for a year, he is likely a 1st rounder-Period. I DONT think he necessarily got bad advice, he took control of his life they way he wanted. School is not for everyone, he learned the buisness world wild training a boys body for a mans game. I say take him at #29, let him work hard and dominate in the Glegue. In, 2020, He is the starting small forward. Possibly the last great Popovich prospect that sets up the franchise for 10-15 years.

RC_Drunkford
06-02-2019, 05:03 PM
He's a steal as a 2nd rounder. Wouldn't be mad if we draft him with 29

r0drig0lac
06-02-2019, 05:15 PM
Lamar Odom?

Dejounte
06-03-2019, 11:51 AM
https://twitter.com/JoshuaBRobbins/status/1135575406495653888?s=19

Spurs worked him out. Also worked out for the Magic, and Pistons who each have a pick before our 19th.

phxspurfan
06-03-2019, 12:31 PM
Prototypical Today's NBA length. Young, can bulk up in a year or two. Seems like he's got athleticism. Looks like a lot of upside. Wouldn't be surprised if he goes high first round.

BSfromTX
06-03-2019, 01:05 PM
I would take him at 19.

timvp
06-03-2019, 01:41 PM
Bazley seems to be trending higher. ESPN has him 28 on their Big Board now.

If the Spurs love him to the point they're willing to take him at 19, I wouldn't be upset. That would mean he interviewed well and had a very good workout. He's obviously a boom or bust prospect but he'd be a great fit if he pans out to even 80% of his potential.

Dejounte
06-03-2019, 02:06 PM

If the Spurs love him to the point they're willing to take him at 19, I wouldn't be upset. That would mean he interviewed well and had a very good workout. He's obviously a boom or bust prospect but he'd be a great fit if he pans out to even 80% of his potential.

I wish he would shut it down after the Spurs workout but i dont think they ever give promises out. That would be giving their hand.

exstatic
06-03-2019, 02:28 PM
I wish he would shut it down after the Spurs workout but i dont think they ever give promises out. That would be giving their hand.

Oh, sure they do. LJC got one. I think Nic Batum got one, too. His agent has a number of clients and is friendly with the Spurs. They played "hide the medical records" before the draft. He just got snagged by Portland before our pick.

Dejounte
06-03-2019, 02:34 PM
Oh, sure they do. LJC got one. I think Nic Batum got one, too. His agent has a number of clients and is friendly with the Spurs. They played "hide the medical records" before the draft. He just got snagged by Portland before our pick.

Well just two instances. Maybe they learned from their mistakes.

DPG21920
06-03-2019, 02:40 PM
https://youtu.be/vL8N1QUjV2Q

If I hear you bring up Murray’s social media one more time...I swear I will e-slap you.

Dejounte
06-03-2019, 02:44 PM
If I hear you bring up Murray’s social media one more time...I swear I will e-slap you.

Murray's instagram.

Russ
06-03-2019, 03:41 PM

Bazley is all over the map in the mocks.

NBADraft.net (updated 6/2) has him going at 51, meaning they think the Spurs could get him at 49. I doubt that, but it's out there.

I'm high on Bazley and would hope the Spurs give him strong consideration at 29 (maybe not so much at 19).

BSfromTX
06-03-2019, 09:56 PM
I really can’t see someone with that length and athleticism dropping to the second round. And he’s only 19?

FkLA
06-03-2019, 10:13 PM
Is there any info about what the kid is actually like? The fact that he skipped college for a bullshit "internship" makes one automatically think he's a jackass but is that actually the case?

Man, pair that body and physical tools with the Spurs development and you have a generational talent on your hands IF he has a good head on his shoulders that can absorb what the Spurs offer him. He kinda looks Durant-ish out there, like a slightly shorter version.

keithington1
06-04-2019, 12:35 AM
I'm starting to think Spurs have to take him at 19. Maybe the Spurs could move back a little an gain an asset but thats risky.

Dejounte
06-04-2019, 05:12 AM
Is there any info about what the kid is actually like? The fact that he skipped college for a bullshit "internship" makes one automatically think he's a jackass but is that actually the case?

Man, pair that body and physical tools with the Spurs development and you have a generational talent on your hands IF he has a good head on his shoulders that can absorb what the Spurs offer him. He kinda looks Durant-ish out there, like a slightly shorter version.

From what Ive seen on his Instagram and Twitter, he seems like another Rudy Gay character to me. Kid's got humor and charm. I think he would be a great teammate.

JuneJive
06-04-2019, 06:28 AM
Is he really two yrs away from being able to crack the rotation.?

exstatic
06-04-2019, 06:41 AM
W

It’s not just skipping college. It’s committing to one school. Then de-committing from that school, and committing to a different one. Then de-committing from the second school, and deciding to go thru the g-league. Then backing out on that to sign a shoe deal. He might be a real nice kid, but he really seems to lack focus and drive.

Dr. John R. Brinkley
06-04-2019, 11:23 AM
Maybe his problem is a bad uncle?

Too soon?

Dejounte
06-04-2019, 11:24 AM
W

It’s not just skipping college. It’s committing to one school. Then de-committing from that school, and committing to a different one. Then de-committing from the second school, and deciding to go thru the g-league. Then backing out on that to sign a shoe deal. He might be a real nice kid, but he really seems to lack focus and drive.

Whats the second school? I only read about Syracuse.

exstatic
06-04-2019, 11:26 AM
Whats the second school? I only read about Syracuse.

Read the 'Why not' section in the original post.

keithington1
06-05-2019, 12:50 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9anBEM_yMAU

timvp
06-05-2019, 01:14 AM
:lol @ these Pro Days where the prospects spend most of their time either dunking or going 1 on 0. No wonder GMs hate to attend and say they don't get anything out of it.

BillMc
06-05-2019, 02:11 AM
:lol @ these Pro Days where the prospects spend most of their time either dunking or going 1 on 0. No wonder GMs hate to attend and say they don't get anything out of it.

I was thinking the same thing.

Truth4sale$
06-06-2019, 02:55 PM
The kid took control of his life. He wanted to start getting paid. What's wrong with that? It's not like he got in trouble with drugs or domestic violence. People need to stop all the criticism. Instead of being forced into going to school so the colleges and NCAA can make money, he decided to train on his own and learn the buisness world. Something more young players should do, to understand their finances instead of going broke.

Joe Schmoogins
06-10-2019, 01:35 AM
This is who I want at 19. Spurs have no reason not to swing for the fences, and he has too much upside to pass on. My only question is his shot. Looks like he has solid form, but his instincts are to slash. If he can be a consistent shooter or develop into one, then he seems to be the complete package. Physically he's the prototype.

spurraider21
06-10-2019, 02:14 AM
how is his floor anything but ryan richards tbh?

spurraider21
06-10-2019, 02:18 AM
not exactly the same, but livio got drafted because of fucking hoop summit :lol

timvp
06-10-2019, 02:30 AM
not exactly the same, but livio got drafted because of fucking hoop summit :lol

Tbh, Dirk Nowitzki and Nic Batum got drafted due to their play at the hoop summit. Sometimes that strategy has worked wonderfully.

timvp
06-10-2019, 02:36 AM
This is who I want at 19. Spurs have no reason not to swing for the fences, and he has too much upside to pass on. My only question is his shot. Looks like he has solid form, but his instincts are to slash. If he can be a consistent shooter or develop into one, then he seems to be the complete package. Physically he's the prototype.

I had the same thoughts and I've researched his shot more. Seems like he's a 28%-29% three-point shooter over his limited career. A closer look at his stroke and he has some glaring flaws (ball almost hits his forehead; one hand stays in front of the ball).

My opinion of him dropped a little bit after those findings because if he can't hit threes, his future value plummets.

That said, if the Spurs like him enough to draft him in the first round, I'll be happy. I heard his very first workout was with the Spurs ... so maybe that points to San Antonio being as interested as man of us are :tu

kobyz
06-10-2019, 06:41 AM
The kid took control of his life. He wanted to start getting paid. What's wrong with that? It's not like he got in trouble with drugs or domestic violence. People need to stop all the criticism. Instead of being forced into going to school so the colleges and NCAA can make money, he decided to train on his own and learn the buisness world. Something more young players should do, to understand their finances instead of going broke.

But agreeing to miss one year of playing basketball, what does it say about his desire, love for the game, is it a red flag?

John B
06-10-2019, 07:26 AM
He passes for someone we need at 29. He has the swagger, besides the obvious physical. He could very well be a star.

At 19, we need a true 3 and D. Hoping for Little... please

FkLA
06-10-2019, 08:05 AM
But agreeing to miss one year of playing basketball, what does it say about his desire, love for the game, is it a red flag?

Nephew did it and he's considered a dedicated gym rat, tbh.

pad300
06-10-2019, 09:16 AM
He passes for someone we need at 29. He has the swagger, besides the obvious physical. He could very well be a star.

At 19, we need a true 3 and D. Hoping for Little... please

Y'all realize that some things in this post don't go together... Nassir has the body, but has not demonstrated perimeter skills.

John B
06-10-2019, 09:50 AM
Y'all realize that some things in this post don't go together... Nassir has the body, but has not demonstrated perimeter skills.
I thought he’s like the 2nd coming of Kawhi?

pad300
06-10-2019, 12:08 PM
I thought he’s like the 2nd coming of Kawhi?

And Duncan, Jordan and Magic are also lurking in this draft for an insightful GM...

John B
06-10-2019, 01:18 PM
And Duncan, Jordan and Magic are also lurking in this draft for an insightful GM...
And I’ve heard that this is a thin draft, yet Bazley at 29 could very well be another Siakam.

exstatic
06-10-2019, 02:32 PM
And I’ve heard that this is a thin draft, yet Bazley at 29 could very well be another Siakam.

That's a dream. Pascal Siakam had a redshirt season, and two years of NCAA ball under his belt when he declared. Bazely needs SO MUCH to break right for him to be even an NBA starter. His last game was in a high school gym against kids. His physical profile is good to great, but the shoulder of the proverbial NBA highway is littered with such former prospects.

Chinook
06-10-2019, 02:35 PM
You can't predict people who come out of nowhere. It doesn't even make sense. Stats and shit can explain how someone who came out of nowhere became really good, but what they don't show is how many guys with a lot of those stats remain obscure.

SpursDynasty85
06-16-2019, 12:39 PM
That's a dream. Pascal Siakam had a redshirt season, and two years of NCAA ball under his belt when he declared. Bazely needs SO MUCH to break right for him to be even an NBA starter. His last game was in a high school gym against kids. His physical profile is good to great, but the shoulder of the proverbial NBA highway is littered with such former prospects.

I think as a prospect he does stand out though. 6'9" with good wingspan and skills with a smooth jumper and outside game is hard to find imo. Hes stuck at early 2nd round material because he probably cant help before his rookie deal is up so 1st round teams will likely pass but h 2nd round teams will move up for him I think and should. Maybe Spurs can move down from 29 and pick him up. Spurs will have lots of great options for a more ready one at 19.