PDA

View Full Version : Poeltl Says He'll Only Get Better

BillMc
05-29-2019, 03:03 AM
https://news4sanantonio.com/sports/content/poeltl-says-hell-only-get-better-with-spurs-jokes-hes-annoyed-raptors-are-finals-bound

This references another article I could not find. Could be in German.

kobyz
05-29-2019, 04:34 AM
Why he didn't get better this year from his last year in Toronto?

RC_Drunkford
05-29-2019, 05:09 AM
I didn't even know Jakob had a website. Not sure if that's the interview you're talking about, but in this one right after the playoff out he's talking about working on his jump shot and post moves. The translation is a bit iffy tbh

"WE HAD ALL POSSIBILITIES"
Jacob Pöltl and the San Antonio Spurs, the NBA season is after the play-off first-round loss to the Denver Nuggets: Closed (3 4). The decisive seventh game of a close and hard-fought series was lost with 86:90 at night on Sunday. Denver meets in the Western Conference Semifinals to the Portland Trail Blazers.
Jakob Poeltl games here 18:04 minutes in which he 2 points (1/3 FG) and eight rebounds scored (2 Offensive, Defensive 6).
Click here for the Boxscore (http://de.global.nba.com/boxscore/#!/0041800157)
Jacob, the decisive seventh game has developed into a mad crime and would also can go into extra time - how big the frustration is to be so narrowly missed and what ultimately made the difference?
We knew that it would be a tough series and it will be important to detail. In the decider fell nothing for us in the first half, but we never gave up and had almost turned the game. Bottom line, it just was not good enough, the disappointment is already very large, especially since we had all possibilities.
You completed the regular season 77 of the 82 games that were in the playoffs in the starting five of the Spurs set and have an average of 25.3 minutes played - as much as ever in your playoff career. How do you assess your first year, directed by cult coach Gregg Popovich, how do you see your personal development?
Basically, I'm not unhappy. Clear the change in the beginning was challenging, the team, the coaches, the systems - everything was new and initially of course used to. But I have been great support, have always found my feet better as the season progresses and expand my role. Positive was sure we could fix the playoffs early. For the Spurs, it was the 22nd consecutive appearance what NBA record means. This is not, of course, by far, especially since the West was hotly contested until the end.
Your teammate DeMar DeRozan has meant asked in an interview to the allegations of Denver, you had in the series too hard, unfair block who you think are playing dirty, dirty has ulterior motives. How have you noticed the discussion?
It was of course an issue. I said then, when I set an illegal screen, you will tell me. Until that is the case, I will continue to do as I have done about it the whole season.
What is still to improve in your game where you want to fix the lever in the preparation for the upcoming season?
can improve always something waiting for me again certainly a lot of work and an intensive training schedule. The corresponding details I will discuss in the coming days with the coaches.
What is your summer schedule, when are you coming back to Austria?
This can be said only when I held with the coaches consultation. It's quite possible that I'll stay in San Antonio, graduate from athletic training and work on offensive package, for example at the litter and post-up stuff. Then I want to spend some time with my family and friends in Austria and will certainly take some time. Another fixed point is of course my basketball camp (June 20 to 23) in Vienna. I look forward particularly.
Last your tip, who will stand and in the final against NBA champion in 2019?
My tip is Raptors against Warriors - with the better end for Golden State.

https://www.jakobpoeltl.net/

MultiTroll
05-29-2019, 06:31 AM
directed by cult coach Gregg Popovich,
:lol
qft

BillMc
05-29-2019, 06:32 AM
I didn't even know Jakob had a website. Not sure if that's the interview you're talking about, but in this one right after the playoff out he's talking about working on his jump shot and post moves. The translation is a bit iffy tbh

"WE HAD ALL POSSIBILITIES"
Jacob Pöltl and the San Antonio Spurs, the NBA season is after the play-off first-round loss to the Denver Nuggets: Closed (3 4). The decisive seventh game of a close and hard-fought series was lost with 86:90 at night on Sunday. Denver meets in the Western Conference Semifinals to the Portland Trail Blazers.
Jakob Poeltl games here 18:04 minutes in which he 2 points (1/3 FG) and eight rebounds scored (2 Offensive, Defensive 6).
Click here for the Boxscore (http://de.global.nba.com/boxscore/#!/0041800157)
Jacob, the decisive seventh game has developed into a mad crime and would also can go into extra time - how big the frustration is to be so narrowly missed and what ultimately made the difference?
We knew that it would be a tough series and it will be important to detail. In the decider fell nothing for us in the first half, but we never gave up and had almost turned the game. Bottom line, it just was not good enough, the disappointment is already very large, especially since we had all possibilities.
You completed the regular season 77 of the 82 games that were in the playoffs in the starting five of the Spurs set and have an average of 25.3 minutes played - as much as ever in your playoff career. How do you assess your first year, directed by cult coach Gregg Popovich, how do you see your personal development?
Basically, I'm not unhappy. Clear the change in the beginning was challenging, the team, the coaches, the systems - everything was new and initially of course used to. But I have been great support, have always found my feet better as the season progresses and expand my role. Positive was sure we could fix the playoffs early. For the Spurs, it was the 22nd consecutive appearance what NBA record means. This is not, of course, by far, especially since the West was hotly contested until the end.
Your teammate DeMar DeRozan has meant asked in an interview to the allegations of Denver, you had in the series too hard, unfair block who you think are playing dirty, dirty has ulterior motives. How have you noticed the discussion?
It was of course an issue. I said then, when I set an illegal screen, you will tell me. Until that is the case, I will continue to do as I have done about it the whole season.
What is still to improve in your game where you want to fix the lever in the preparation for the upcoming season?
can improve always something waiting for me again certainly a lot of work and an intensive training schedule. The corresponding details I will discuss in the coming days with the coaches.
What is your summer schedule, when are you coming back to Austria?
This can be said only when I held with the coaches consultation. It's quite possible that I'll stay in San Antonio, graduate from athletic training and work on offensive package, for example at the litter and post-up stuff. Then I want to spend some time with my family and friends in Austria and will certainly take some time. Another fixed point is of course my basketball camp (June 20 to 23) in Vienna. I look forward particularly.
Last your tip, who will stand and in the final against NBA champion in 2019?
My tip is Raptors against Warriors - with the better end for Golden State.

https://www.jakobpoeltl.net/

Many thanks. No idea if this is the same one but still interesting. Thanks for the translation.

FlAVaK
05-29-2019, 07:18 AM
https://www.heute.at/sport/sportmix/story/Poeltl-54922194

https://www.derstandard.de/story/2000103896621/jakob-poeltl-es-geht-nicht-darum-freunde-zu-finden-am

I just leave the links here now. Maybe I find time for some translating later...

BillMc
05-29-2019, 08:42 AM
https://www.heute.at/sport/sportmix/story/Poeltl-54922194

https://www.derstandard.de/story/2000103896621/jakob-poeltl-es-geht-nicht-darum-freunde-zu-finden-am

I just leave the links here now. Maybe I find time for some translating later...

Many thanks:bobo

8FOR!3
05-29-2019, 09:26 AM
How is he going to get better? Is he going to develop a jump shot? I don't really see him progressing that much, I hope I'm wrong. Either way I think he's a solid backup big at worst.

cjw
05-29-2019, 11:12 AM
Why he didn't get better this year from his last year in Toronto?

He played against more starter units, and his advanced stats were all better than his last year in Toronto. He rebounded better, passed better, had less turnovers and most importantly brought his fouls down significantly.

I didn’t even have to look over at your username because I know it’s you based on how bad this take was. Basically one per thread.

Texas_Ranger
05-29-2019, 12:21 PM
Nice of him. Will he be able to not be useless in this era of the nba where bigs like him have nothing to do in the nba?

BackHome
05-29-2019, 12:30 PM
Always need bigs for defense rebounds and protecting rim.

KobesAchilles
05-29-2019, 12:41 PM
If he could get a Rasho type jumper then that would be considered improvement :lol
seriously though he needs to learn angles and positioning better on offense so he can get some easy baskets. There’s no reason for him not to score 8-12 points a game just by doing that alone.

kobyz
05-29-2019, 12:59 PM
He played against more starter units, and his advanced stats were all better than his last year in Toronto. He rebounded better, passed better, had less turnovers and most importantly brought his fouls down significantly.

I didn’t even have to look over at your username because I know it’s you based on how bad this take was. Basically one per thread.

You probably didn't see him play last year in Toronto, he had better impact last year and had more forth quarter minutes, for sure he didn't had better season this year than the last overall...

phxspurfan
05-29-2019, 01:05 PM
Get better at walking back to the bench when teams go small

ginobilized
05-29-2019, 04:14 PM
He has the tools and temperament to be a solid Spur.
Let's see what improves, I bet he has better numbers next year.

cd021
05-29-2019, 04:28 PM
How is he going to get better? Is he going to develop a jump shot? I don't really see him progressing that much, I hope I'm wrong. Either way I think he's a solid backup big at worst.

He really doesn't need to develop a jumper, though that would be a bonus, tbh. His biggest improvement can come from the line. 70% from the FT would be a solid improvement.

RC_Drunkford
05-29-2019, 04:34 PM
:lol
qft

the cult leader:rollin

DJR210
05-29-2019, 04:44 PM
Hopefully his knee to quad signature move gets far more devastating :tu

wildbill2u
05-29-2019, 04:48 PM
He has potential for development. I'd like to see him work on offensive footwork with someone like Kevin McHale. He is actually pretty quick for a 7 footer and could get a lot more shots if he was looking for them in the paint more instead of passing off.
Personally, I like the attitude about playing dirty. "If they call me on a moving screen, I'll learn. Otherwise I'll continue to play as is."

Looks like a potential Steve Adams from OKC to me.

SAGirl
05-29-2019, 05:34 PM
heh he's thinking well I could have been in the finals but they had to bundle me with Derozan... damn. I will only go up from here.
/sarcasm.

slick'81
05-29-2019, 05:42 PM
Dudes problem was he was drafted soo high and just hasnt lved up to expectations.Hopefully he takes a step forward this season or itll probably never happen

Mikeanaro
05-29-2019, 05:55 PM
He is ok, not the main issue anyway.
Even if White gets better and Murray does something, our main issue is LMA and DDR they need to deliver or everything is fucked, find someone who can do the job.

Play Boban
05-29-2019, 06:14 PM
He’s the best defender on the roster tbh. He’s a game-changer fwiw...our record would be a lot better this season if poop wasn’t so stupid that he started Gay over him most of the season per par tbh.

picnroll
05-29-2019, 08:21 PM
Whatever he brings i seriously doubt it will be mid range shooting. Went to two games this year sitting behind the Spurs bench. Watched him almost exclusively during warm ups. He bricked nearly everything from 10’ and out.

RC_Drunkford
05-29-2019, 08:53 PM
Apparently Pop showed penguin videos in team video sessions

TDMVPDPOY
05-29-2019, 10:12 PM
taller david lee when he was here, move to ur spots clean up the boards and easy baskets

he needs to have a jumpshot like blazers bigmen leonard, doesnt have to be accurate, but hit them when his open...

8FOR!3
05-29-2019, 10:19 PM
He has potential for development. I'd like to see him work on offensive footwork with someone like Kevin McHale. He is actually pretty quick for a 7 footer and could get a lot more shots if he was looking for them in the paint more instead of passing off.
Personally, I like the attitude about playing dirty. "If they call me on a moving screen, I'll learn. Otherwise I'll continue to play as is."

Looks like a potential Steve Adams from OKC to me.

lol if he could put 10-20 pounds of muscle on the next couple of years I'd be ecstatic.

Play Boban
05-30-2019, 06:37 AM
lol if he could put 10-20 pounds of muscle on the next couple of years I'd be ecstatic.
If he could grow to 7’3” 350 that would be great tbh

8FOR!3
05-30-2019, 06:54 AM
If he could grow to 7’3” 350 that would be great tbh

The guy is 23 years old, 7 feet tall, and 230 pounds. Why is it that farfetched that he puts on weight. That's the difference between him and Steven Adams who is built like a brick shithouse

RC_Drunkford
05-30-2019, 07:02 AM

He said in the other interview that right after the playoff loss he's still in the gym, especially in the weight room. So it looks like that's the plan. Next season will also be his contract year, so I expect to see improvements

BackHome
05-30-2019, 11:42 PM
Bigs are really dependent on the PG for easy point just look at Capela in Houston Chris Paul sets him up and feeds him easy dunks. Him and White should be playing more minutes together and Pop needs to run more back door Kobe screens to get him easy dunks.

tbdog
05-31-2019, 04:32 AM
Bigs are really dependent on the PG for easy point just look at Capela in Houston Chris Paul sets him up and feeds him easy dunks. Him and White should be playing more minutes together and Pop needs to run more back door Kobe screens to get him easy dunks.

Exactly. Poeltl off the bench with Manu would have been fun.

GreekSpursfan
05-31-2019, 08:55 AM
He has to develop some post moves and somehow increase his bball IQ by not commiting stupid fouls for no apparent reason. People think i was hater in regards to him but why should i be, i want him to succeed but i don't see it. He's a very old fashioned big and the only way to become something is to develop some semblance of a post move, a skyhook, something.

UncleDennis
05-31-2019, 09:10 AM
That's nice to hear, he is a fine young big, mobile, etc but are there really that many more levels he can bring his game too? I guess T.D could try and mentor him more about positional defense and whatever instinctual shit that came natural to him but I doubt he will pull a Dedmon and start shooting 3's and shit.