PDA

View Full Version : Will Curry's Warriors Ever Win Another NBA Championship?

Spurtacular
06-09-2019, 06:04 PM
https://www.france24.com/en/20190609-end-nba-era-looms-warriors-brink-defeat

GreekSpursfan
06-09-2019, 06:09 PM
Snake will sign for 1 year and they will be on a mission next year. Dubs win it all next season imo and then he leaves.

timvp
06-09-2019, 06:30 PM
I think the better (at least more Spurs related) question would be: Do the Warriors match or surpass Duncan's five rings?

Despite having the two best shooters of all-time who peaked at exactly the same time, a defensive genius big and a bandwagoning uber talented addition, it's far from certain. That Duncan did it in a small market with two separate supporting casts (virtually three, tbh) makes his accomplishments even more amazing, tbh. Things couldn't have gone better for the Warriors and it looks like winning five rings will be a challenge, to say the least.

TD 21
06-09-2019, 06:38 PM
Once it became clear to me early on this season (was actually signs last season) that this was not the same team and that the usual earmarks of a team at its end were setting in, I kicked this around with my brother.

If Durant leaves this off season, I'm leaning no. I'd have to see how free agency shakes down first to get a better sense of the balance of power for the near future in order to have a more definitive stance though.

They look to be entering '08-'11 Spurs territory, where the core is still good enough, but with no notable youth or flexibility, it's unclear how they'll surround them with the requisite surrounding pieces while they still are. Spurs managed to pull it off obviously, but it took a lot of luck.

picnroll
06-09-2019, 06:48 PM
No depth and no prospects of getting depth. Losing Durant, having to pay Thompson and Green. Looney’s going to get paid too

cd021
06-09-2019, 06:56 PM
No depth and no prospects of getting depth. Losing Durant, having to pay Thompson and Green. Looney’s going to get paid too

Livingston may possibly be gone and Iggy will be 36 by the time next post season. Their bench was already bad but it'll probably be even worse. Their picks haven't really worked out, Looney is the best of the batch.

RC_Drunkford
06-09-2019, 07:34 PM
but I thought the Dubs were light years ahead of the competition :rollin

HarlemHeat37
06-09-2019, 08:33 PM
Sure they could, they're playing in a conference with no competition and no team other than the Clippers(if they get Kawhi) has the realistic potential to become a contender next season..

daslicer
06-09-2019, 08:46 PM
If Durant leaves I will say no. Their mystique is gone and teams will no longer fear them. They also have depth problems with Iggy,Livingston both looking washed up. To me they are kind of like the Spurs around '08. They are going to have to go through some major retooling to win it all again.

Spurtacular
06-09-2019, 11:35 PM
Curry's Warriors could do it this year with a save from Beta?

https://sports.yahoo.com/game-5-could-be-kevin-durants-chance-to-finally-be-the-beloved-hero-003221739.html

Spurtacular
06-09-2019, 11:37 PM
Sure they could, they're playing in a conference with no competition and no team other than the Clippers(if they get Kawhi) has the realistic potential to become a contender next season..

The WC does look like it could be weak for a season or two. Faint hope for the Spurs, tbh.

Millennial_Messiah
06-09-2019, 11:49 PM
Penis poll, tbh

SpurPadre
06-09-2019, 11:56 PM
Durant is back, Load Management is fucked, tbh.

soxxx
06-10-2019, 01:20 AM
Nope its over, unless they fall into the laps of another star, its over.

I actually think Klay might bounce out of there to, the parties over. They wont win a 4th title and definitely not a 5th.

Arcadian
06-10-2019, 02:02 AM
I think the better (at least more Spurs related) question would be: Do the Warriors match or surpass Duncan's five rings?

Despite having the two best shooters of all-time who peaked at exactly the same time, a defensive genius big and a bandwagoning uber talented addition, it's far from certain. That Duncan did it in a small market with two separate supporting casts (virtually three, tbh) makes his accomplishments even more amazing, tbh. Things couldn't have gone better for the Warriors and it looks like winning five rings will be a challenge, to say the least.

Great post. Puts things in persective. Even the Warriors had their share of tragedy, as their 2016 was like our 2013 in a way.

Spurtacular
06-10-2019, 02:04 AM
Nope its over, unless they fall into the laps of another star, its over.

I actually think Klay might bounce out of there to, the parties over. They wont win a 4th title and definitely not a 5th.

Hard to say. He likes to act discontented; but he knows he's not a 1 who can deliver rings. Frankly, he's a soft 2 for that matter.

cutewizard
06-10-2019, 07:26 AM
Who is the next big thing??

The Bucks, the Celtics?

The Mavs??

The Raptors?

The Sixers??

Or the incredible new SPURS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

John B
06-10-2019, 07:40 AM
Murray/White/Walker and Poeltl (hopefully) will take down their pnr. Raps defense (especially Gasol) has shown a lot how to closeout on Curry and Thompson, tbh Spurs had the blueprint but without the personnel. They lose KD, Spurs can defend them imo.

John B
06-10-2019, 08:06 AM
Who is the next big thing??

The Bucks, the Celtics?

The Mavs??

The Raptors?

The Sixers??

Or the incredible new SPURS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If Raps win it (and most probably would tonight), Kawhi has the sense stays. Raps are the next big thing. With another year under their belt to fine tune what is another great team. Siakam will be a Star with his size and guardlike handles. They get healthier players back, plus ringchasers FA’s. With how Canada fans shows. It’s a cakewalk to the Finals every year. But again, big IF with Kawhi staying.

Ime would help Sixers a lot. And their early exit should fire their bellies to get better. Brown could be fired tbh if he doesn’t deliver a ECF appearance and gives the helm to Ime.

Celtics on a downward spiral, unless they get AD. I sure hope they did instead of Lakers.

TBH I had doubt on Bud as a playoff coach. He could win 60+ in regular seasons with Hawks/Bucks. But seemed outcoached in the next level.

Of course, my Spurs would be there in the mix with big IF’s. DJ shows up with much improved outside shots. Demar starts hitting the 3’s and improving more on D. Walker takes a leap in his 2nd year. We bring in a true 3 and D now. We limit any of Forbes/Belli/Mills minutes for a more athletic combo of Murray/White/Walker/Demar. Poeltl shows up with a floater and occasional postups. Yup WCF baby.

BD24
06-10-2019, 09:23 AM
Are we running under the assumption that Durant doesn’t come back? If so, no they do not win another title without him.

ZeusWillJudge
06-10-2019, 09:34 AM

As much attention as he's gotten, Duncan's value to a team is still underrated. And now recency bias is starting to chip away. This year (before the injury and Kawhi's playoffs) they were starting to talk like Durant was the best player since Jordan. Now it will be Kawhi. We'll see if any of them can sustain a team to excellence long-term like Tim did. They won't.

John B
06-10-2019, 09:58 AM
Now Dubs are in the realm of late 20’s pick with nothing to show for it, except for Looney perhaps. Let’s see how their developing players. They lose KD, I think they’re back to mediocre era within 5 years, which says a lot about Spurs being relevant despite low picks for two decades.

SuperCam
06-10-2019, 10:14 AM
the real question is, does Wardell finish higher all time in the player pantheon than Tim? I would say at this trajectory, the answer is yes

james evans
06-10-2019, 10:23 AM
Curry supermax. Durant Supermax. Klay max.. There is a thing called a salary cap in the nba. If they do all of that, Green is gone and their bench/rest of the team is gonna be trash.

r0drig0lac
06-10-2019, 10:30 AM
the real question is, does Wardell finish higher all time in the player pantheon than Tim? I would say at this trajectory, the answer is yes

no way

this was the year that people understood that if it was not for Durant's cowardly decision, Warriors would have a 1-1 record in the finals and that Curry can not carry "normal" teams to titles, he is not at Lebron's level, Durant and Kawhi on playing basketball...
better than Tim https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smilol.gif

baseline bum
06-10-2019, 10:33 AM

Why virtually? His three most important teammates for were wildly different for three separate title eras:

99 - Robinson, AJ, Elliott
03,05,07 - Ginobili, Parker, Bowen
14 - Leonard, Diaw, Green

Your comment about the Warriors just goes to show how crazy it is to win five titles. Even two felt like an embarrassment of riches after 03.

soxxx
06-10-2019, 11:19 AM
Hard to say. He likes to act discontented; but he knows he's not a 1 who can deliver rings. Frankly, he's a soft 2 for that matter.
Hes a good scorer, he is like a Ray Allen thats better, thats it.

RD2191
06-10-2019, 11:33 AM

:lmao

SuperCam
06-10-2019, 11:36 AM
:lmao

if wardell rings 2x more and adds a final mvp to his accolades then most will have him as best pg of all time and inside top 10.

Ed Helicopter Jones
06-10-2019, 11:49 AM
I just hope the Raptors put an end to the run this season. Might be the move that breaks up the Warriors, similar to the '14 Heatles.

The Warriors dominance has really detracted from the competitiveness of the league I think. Everyone is trying now to build a super-team, and it's just not that easy to do. The Warriors have affected how teams are constructed and how the game is played. They've really had an impact, and not necessarily a good one, on how the NBA operates.

Dex
06-10-2019, 11:55 AM
This year just further proves that injury can lay waste to any team. At the beginning of the year, everyone said the Warriors would be unstoppable unless 2-3 guys go down between Curry, Durant, Thompson, Green, and Cousins...and here we are. Incredibly bad luck on the Warriors part, but injuries are part of the game.

This question really hinges on how this offseason goes for the Warriors. If Durant stays and is healthy, the Warriors automatically become unbeatable again.

If KD leaves but Golden State retains Curry, Thompson, and Green...they are still contender status but not like they were in their 73-win season. Iggy is old, Bogut is old, and their bench has been thinned. Houston and Toronto have shown the vulnerabilities of their "death lineup".

I think Curry's Warriors get one more before all is said and done, but I don't think they match the Spurs 5 in this decade.

Spurtacular
06-10-2019, 01:37 PM

Ray in his prime better, tbh.

james evans
06-10-2019, 02:53 PM
bullshit!!! I'm tried of people trying to rewrite history. The Ray Allen in Boston and Miami coming off Screens is NOT the same Ray Allen in Milwaukee and Seattle. Give that ray allen 8-12 open 3's per game off screens, and with the ability to create his own shot and dunk it on you in the paint while having 2 great shooters with him(Klay/Durant) and he's gonna win some titles too. I'm taking prime Allen over Curry all day and it aint even close. Yall have allowed ESPN to brainwash you into believing Curry is this super player that he never was.

Rosewood
06-10-2019, 05:00 PM
Sure they could, they're playing in a conference with no competition and no team other than the Clippers(if they get Kawhi) has the realistic potential to become a contender next season..I think that's unfair to the Nuggets.

Rockets and Thunder are also in contention if Durant leaves for the East.

Genovaswitness
06-10-2019, 05:04 PM
I think that's unfair to the Nuggets.

Rockets and Thunder are also in contention if Durant leaves for the East.

nuggets More like cuckets

Rosewood
06-10-2019, 05:20 PM
nuggets More like cuckets good1 bro :fro

John B
06-10-2019, 11:13 PM
The word is Durant might have torn injury. Will this affect him getting big offers from Knicks, Nets? So he stays in Dubs?

John B
06-10-2019, 11:29 PM
Does Durant’s achilles injury, and all indication it is, signals the end of Dubs? :wakeup

cd021
06-11-2019, 12:13 AM
The word is Durant might have torn injury. Will this affect him getting big offers from Knicks, Nets? So he stays in Dubs?

Almost certain tore his Achilles . Probably will end up staying for another year and coming back in January.

Kurgan
06-11-2019, 12:21 AM
Almost certain tore his ACL. Probably will end up staying for another year and coming back in January.

Huh? Everybody is saying it's an achilles right now.

cd021
06-11-2019, 05:41 AM
Huh? Everybody is saying it's an achilles right now.
It was an Achilles injury, probably a tear.

Maddog
06-30-2019, 07:06 PM

Their window has gotten a lot smaller.
Might not make the playoffs next year.

cutewizard
07-01-2019, 01:46 AM
Poor curry

99 Problems
07-01-2019, 04:10 AM
No tbh.....can just hear the studio sets and podcasts crying about the half dynasty evaporating like yesterdays lounge clearing fart attack.

Spurtacular
07-01-2019, 04:21 AM
I'm wondering how many MVP votes Curry gets for averaging 35 while leading his team to 35 wins.

John B
07-01-2019, 04:47 AM
Curry was gonna join Myers to New York to convince KD. That was a short trip. I wander what’s his reaction to Green. :lmao

tbdog
07-01-2019, 06:46 AM
Would be fun watching solo Curry again though. Green will be forced to put on big numbers and it's his contract year. Will warriors max out Green? They going to have to. But four max contracts, one being a supermax.

phxspurfan
07-01-2019, 02:03 PM
Nope, gonna be the next guys now. Just wait til Giannis engineers his escape from Milwaukee to LA/NY

GreekSpursfan
07-01-2019, 02:42 PM
They will. I wouldn't count them out so fast.

slick'81
07-02-2019, 03:51 AM
If klay can make it back this season maybe they can make some noise

tbdog
07-02-2019, 04:30 AM
Depends what they get for Russell next offseason. And depends if they keep Green. Keeping Looney was massive for them. They will be fun to watch. Just run run run.

Spurtacular
07-02-2019, 05:06 AM
Keeping Looney was massive for them.

You're not the first to go there. Looney is a role player. His 3-year / 15 mil contract reflects that.

tbdog
07-02-2019, 05:34 AM
You're not the first to go there. Looney is a role player. His 3-year / 15 mil contract reflects that.

Yes, but that's pretty cheap for what he provides. He could have walked and chose to stay. There is no way the Warriors replace his impact with no money.

Spurtacular
07-02-2019, 05:37 AM
Yes, but that's pretty cheap for what he provides. He could have walked and chose to stay. There is no way the Warriors replace his impact with no money.

Sure, he has an impact. He's comparable to Poetl for the Spurs; but I would say he's less impactful than that, even.