PDA

View Full Version : Ettore Messina interviewing for Olimpia job (Update: He got the job)

picnroll
06-10-2019, 08:49 AM
Emiliano Carchia: Ettore Messina and his agent Igor Crespo met with Olimpia ownership last week in Milan , a source told Sportando. Olimpia wants Messina to run basketball operations & be head coach of the Italian powerhouse for next seasons. Messina is expected to answer to Milano’s offer soon. – via Twitter Carchia

Becky moving on up hopefully.

look_at_g_shred
06-10-2019, 10:45 AM
Don't go plz ! You are so imperative to DJ's growth !

D-Robinson 50 fan
06-10-2019, 06:19 PM
Everybody is getting promoted or as some clowns on here will surely say, jumping ship. Smh

I hope he takes the job because I really don't want him to take over when Pop retires.

I'm curious if Messina leaves who will Pop target as an assistant?

slick'81
06-10-2019, 06:22 PM
Jesus pops whole staff is gonzo

apalisoc_9
06-10-2019, 06:24 PM
Messina had like what 600 HC job interviews in the NBA and he failed to secure one every time. He's probably not very good

r0drig0lac
06-10-2019, 06:27 PM
goodbye

Genovaswitness
06-10-2019, 06:37 PM
fuck this idiot. good riddance

FkLA
06-10-2019, 06:51 PM
I think the language barrier has held him back from getting a HC job. IIRC from what I've heard from him in interviews, he's not 100% fluent in English. It has to be kind of uncomfortable that he's the top assistant yet guys like JB and Monty got HC gigs before him.

I wonder if Ime would come back if Messina were to leave?

LCM
06-10-2019, 09:30 PM
If Messina gets the job, then the decks will be clear for Hammond to be lead assistant, and with Pop's help and approval, pick the next assistant coaches. They will be the ones that will be on her staff when Pop retires after his latest extension. This gives Hammond the experience as lead, before she takes over, and she'll get the experience of head coach when Pop gets thrown out on purpose from time to time.

Chinook
06-10-2019, 10:42 PM
I think the Spurs will hire out for a lead assistant if Messina also leaves. They may not actually call that guy the second chair in lieu of Becky, but they're going to want someone who can do the job if she falters/gets a HC job of her own. Could see them grab someone from MKE, Brooklyn or Utah.

Big P
06-10-2019, 10:45 PM
If Messina leaves, there is no way the Spurs skip over Becky for the lead assistant...I'm afraid LCM is right, this is all being set up for her to be the HC.

DPG21920
06-11-2019, 12:17 AM
He’s gone

Seventyniner
06-11-2019, 12:18 AM
Time to see if this really is the "cure" that some have hoped for.

UZER
06-11-2019, 01:05 AM
Jesus pops whole staff is gonzo

Yet the 70 year old bastard won’t retire.

szkorhetz
06-11-2019, 01:33 AM
Hammond won't be a head coach that's for sure.

NickiRasgo
06-11-2019, 01:46 AM
Hope after this, the players are next. If could the Spurs somehow follow what Jerry and the Clippers are doing, that would be great.

phxspurfan
06-11-2019, 02:21 AM
Engelland next assistant coach?

anon
06-11-2019, 03:26 AM
Rebuild written on the wall in big red letters. Bye bye Defrozen. Bye bye tiki-taka. Bye bye Dynasty. Someone make a poll: Will the San Antonio Spurs make the WCF between 2020-2030? so I could vote no.

RC_Drunkford
06-11-2019, 03:55 AM
Hopefully the new assistant coaches tell Pop the truth and are no yes men. We need somebody who calls him out when he messes up. Somebody who tells him trade Mills would be a good start. And hell no, I don't want our next head coach to be a lesbian.

monty4329
06-11-2019, 03:56 AM
Messina had like what 600 HC job interviews in the NBA and he failed to secure one every time. He's probably not very good

More of not being american and not being a lesbian.

monty4329
06-11-2019, 04:01 AM
If Messina leaves, there is no way the Spurs skip over Becky for the lead assistant...I'm afraid LCM is right, this is all being set up for her to be the HC.

Smart move to make SA relevant on TMZ, MSNBC, lesbian-anchored TV shows, and metoo cocktail parties.
Game on ESPN or TNT every week.

Who cares about basketball, after all, if you can be the perfect PR move for the league?

monty4329
06-11-2019, 04:02 AM
Hammond won't be a head coach that's for sure.

She will be, Silver is doing his PR thing already.

anon
06-11-2019, 04:22 AM
Hopefully the new assistant coaches tell Pop the truth and are no yes men. We need somebody who calls him out when he messes up. Somebody who tells him trade Mills would be a good start. And hell no, I don't want our next head coach to be a lesbian.
Why do we keep kidding ourselves? The status quo will remain in place until Pop rides out his USA bball tenure and Spurs contract. No hire within this period will rock the boat. And then when Pop officially calls it quits in '22, oooh boy that's when this franchise starts exploring the real unknown unknowns and enters Wild Wild West territory.

jiggy_55
06-11-2019, 05:08 AM
And he's gone.

picnroll
06-11-2019, 06:22 AM
And he's gone.

Shams Charania: Spurs assistant coach Ettore Messina has agreed on a deal to run basketball operations and become the new head coach of Olimpia Milano, sources tell @TheAthleticNBA @Stadium. Messina has been a lead assistant on Gregg Popovich’s staff since 2014.

Becky time.

picnroll
06-11-2019, 06:31 AM
All misogynists report to Spurstalk at once. :rollin

monty4329
06-11-2019, 06:53 AM
Wow, it is official.

The guy lost his mind. He still has a year contract as lead assistant in SA (not PHX or other shitty organizations) that is one of the 40 best coaching position in the world.
And he goes to a third tier club well far from any semblance of competitivness in Euroleague?

He won literally everything already, what is he going to do in Milan coaching scrubs? he could at least land Moscow or Madrid.

I can't understand it. Or PATFO was clear to him and Ime that the next in line is not a coach but a PR stunt...

Is SA becoming an unattractive destination even for coaches, not only for FA players?

monty4329
06-11-2019, 06:58 AM
I think the language barrier has held him back from getting a HC job. IIRC from what I've heard from him in interviews, he's not 100% fluent in English. It has to be kind of uncomfortable that he's the top assistant yet guys like JB and Monty got HC gigs before him.

That certainly was weighing on his chances as HC. He mentioned that he wanted to become the first international HC in the NBA: I guess after Kokoskov (albeit Igor had a completely different path) he kind of lost motivation. And anyway since LMA is in town SA doesn't play his kind of basketball. Still, that bench is becoming a revolving door.

vavvi
06-11-2019, 07:14 AM
Wow, it is official.

The guy lost his mind. He still has a year contract as lead assistant in SA (not PHX or other shitty organizations) that is one of the 40 best coaching position in the world.
And he goes to a third tier club well far from any semblance of competitivness in Euroleague?

He won literally everything already, what is he going to do in Milan coaching scrubs? he could at least land Moscow or Madrid.

I can't understand it. Or PATFO was clear to him and Ime that the next in line is not a coach but a PR stunt...

Is SA becoming an unattractive destination even for coaches, not only for FA players?

While a lot of what you’re saying rings true I think Messina just wants to go home.

D-Robinson 50 fan
06-11-2019, 07:15 AM
I wonder who we might target as assistants to round out the coaching staff?

monty4329
06-11-2019, 07:25 AM
I wonder who we might target as assistants to round out the coaching staff?

I wonder if any competent coach will accept a lesser position than Hammond, if not maybe somebody out of the league who wants to back in, he'll coast for a year and then move on where coaches coach and not bend to pinkos fake-equality lesbian quotas.

picnroll
06-11-2019, 07:30 AM
Gotta laugh at the clueless blind misogynists who haven’t watched the job Hammond’s done in summer league. Becky’s being elevated. Guaranteed.

GusT15
06-11-2019, 07:31 AM
Wow, it is official.

He couldn't land Moscow or Madrid,they are happy with their HC.CSKA re-signed Itoudis and Real Madrid will need a Coach only if Laso takes an NBA job this summer.
If Rick Pitino leaves Athens in the summer that's an opening right there.And David Blatt may or may not leave Olympiakos but that's still uncertain as well.

Basically he took a job back in Italy cause he wanted to be in Europe and more specifically back home.
(Also Olimpia Milano had a terrible season this year and he can easily turn things around.Also Milan is an amazing city to live in)

monty4329
06-11-2019, 07:39 AM
He couldn't land Moscow or Madrid,they are happy with their HC.CSKA re-signed Itoudis and Real Madrid will need a Coach only if Laso takes an NBA job this summer.
If Rick Pitino leaves Athens in the summer that's an opening right there.And David Blatt may or may not leave Olympiakos but that's still uncertain as well.

Basically he took a job back in Italy cause he wanted to be in Europe and more specifically back home.
(Also Olimpia Milano had a terrible season this year and he can easily turn things around.Also Milan is an amazing city to live in)

I meant "Moscow or Madrid" as "anywhere good". And next year, not this year, as he had one more year left in his contract. Plus Milan is a shitty organization, like seriously fucked up.

I'm sure it has a lot to do with the NBA campaign for female coaches -to get more ads from Jared, and the fact he didn't get any HC offer yet -he was pretty hot commodity a couple years ago but his market is obviously fading.

A loss for SA for sure. Not that PATFO cares, apparently.

GusT15
06-11-2019, 07:47 AM
I meant "Moscow or Madrid" as "anywhere good". And next year, not this year, as he had one more year left in his contract. Plus Milan is a shitty organization, like seriously fucked up.

I'm sure it has a lot to do with the NBA campaign for female coaches -to get more ads from Jared, and the fact he didn't get any HC offer yet -he was pretty hot commodity a couple years ago but his market is obviously fading.

A loss for SA for sure. Not that PATFO cares, apparently.

Eh,Milan is shitty but they have $$ so they can build a Euroleague contender overnight.

Besides they offered him Pop's deal.He is the Head Coach and POBO.Basically they gave him the keys and they will just sign the checks.

If you wanted to go back to Italy you can't turn that offer down.

Ocotillo
06-11-2019, 07:55 AM
Hmmm, is Milan the new home of draft/stash guys that want a bigger check then G-League?

monty4329
06-11-2019, 07:59 AM
Eh,Milan is shitty but they have $$ so they can build a Euroleague contender overnight.

Besides they offered him Pop's deal.He is the Head Coach and POBO.Basically they gave him the keys and they will just sign the checks.

If you wanted to go back to Italy you can't turn that offer down.

Yes, probably that.
Besides, Milan is an ugly town, but the quantity of world class pussy navigating the fashion + TV world is unbelievable. Not even NY has such a nightlife, and I mean it. Not that Messina at his age is interested.

GusT15
06-11-2019, 08:04 AM
Yes, probably that.
Besides, Milan is an ugly town, but the quantity of world class pussy navigating the fashion + TV world is unbelievable. Not even NY has such a nightlife, and I mean it. Not that Messina at his age is interested.

:lol

BatManu20
06-11-2019, 08:36 AM

NASpurs
06-11-2019, 09:30 AM

Great news!

Big Dick Becky moving up another rung in the coaching ladder.

superbigtime
06-11-2019, 10:41 AM
damn Ime should be getting promoted

BackHome
06-11-2019, 11:38 AM
I don’t understand if Pop is only coaching one more year is he telling his staff they will not get the gig and should look elsewhere? If we are looking outside who do you think we should target once Poop retires?

RD2191
06-11-2019, 11:42 AM
I'm all in for Becky.

JeffDuncan
06-11-2019, 12:14 PM
I'm all in for Becky.

Yes, Becky is the right choice. Politically.

As for the basketball, what does that have to do with anything? "It's just basketball."

JeffDuncan
06-11-2019, 12:22 PM
No, wait, I just realized, Becky isn't black! And she isn't disabled. Hm.

Ok, no problem. We just spray paint her, cut one of her legs off, and stick her in a wheelchair. Perfect. Then we make Becky the head coach, and all the little snowflake media from CNN and MSNBC and all the rest, will crawl a thousand miles on their hands and knees to kiss our ass. Yeah, that'll work.

D-Robinson 50 fan
06-11-2019, 12:39 PM
I wonder if any competent coach will accept a lesser position than Hammond, if not maybe somebody out of the league who wants to back in, he'll coast for a year and then move on where coaches coach and not bend to pinkos fake-equality lesbian quotas.

What the fuck?!

The woman has been here for a while and has experience playing at a high level. If she knows the game, can explain and draw up plays while also understanding the grind ov the season then she is qualified to do the job. Smh.

Anyway, I hope they get another retired player on the squad who has a good understanding of the game and players.

Pavlov
06-11-2019, 12:47 PM
:lol ST's incel army has mobilized

Dex
06-11-2019, 12:55 PM
damn Ime should be getting promoted

Ime is gone too, bro.

Allan Rowe vs Wade
06-11-2019, 12:56 PM
Head Coach Becky just for the butthurt

Dex
06-11-2019, 01:01 PM
As for Ettore....que sera sera.

The offense and the defense have both regressed since he has been a major part of the staff, and some of that has to be partially attributed to him (otherwise what the hell was he doing?) Obviously, some of that is on the player personnel...but the offensive philosophy this last season was questionable to say the least.

He also wasn't particularly impressive in games he took over or coached.

And, from a fan perspective...he just didn't seem to be particularly likable. I know the Spurs don't need a "buddy" coach, but he struck me as a curmudgeon. At least Pop has a soft side sometimes.

Losing Ime is a bigger loss, tbh. Gonna be a serious shakeup on the bench.

UZER
06-11-2019, 01:04 PM
I hate “women power” narrative bullshit for politics. But in this case, I think Becky has a shot to be a good coach. I think she legit deserves the job if the opportunity presents itself.

Dex
06-11-2019, 01:10 PM
I hate “women power” narrative bullshit for politics. But in this case, I think Becky has a shot to be a good coach. I think she legit deserves the job if the opportunity presents itself.

Agreed. If she wasn't a woman and had played NBA instead of WNBA, her credentials would be considered right on par with many assistant coaches in the league. To suggest otherwise is pure bigotry, tbh.

I don't think she should get any preference solely for the fact that she is a woman, and I don't think that has been the case for her. She has earned everything that she has gotten.

D-Robinson 50 fan
06-11-2019, 02:33 PM
As for Ettore....que sera sera.

The offense and the defense have both regressed since he has been a major part of the staff, and some of that has to be partially attributed to him (otherwise what the hell was he doing?) Obviously, some of that is on the player personnel...but the offensive philosophy this last season was questionable to say the least.

He also wasn't particularly impressive in games he took over or coached.

And, from a fan perspective...he just didn't seem to be particularly likable. I know the Spurs don't need a "buddy" coach, but he struck me as a curmudgeon. At least Pop has a soft side sometimes.

Losing Ime is a bigger loss, tbh. Gonna be a serious shakeup on the bench.

I agree about Ime being a bigger loss. You need coaches who can relate and make players feel comfortable confiding in. We most definitely need a retired player on the staff in one of the open spots

cd98
06-11-2019, 02:50 PM
Just get Manu to join as an assistant. That should make everyone happy.

K...
06-11-2019, 03:14 PM
Just get Manu to join as an assistant. That should make everyone happy.

Manu won't ever coach. He's said as much and I believe him. The really competitive players don't have the patience to coach.

The odds of pondexter and conningham being coaches is much much higher.

timtonymanu
06-11-2019, 03:16 PM
We will miss you said no one

timvp
06-11-2019, 03:25 PM
Congrats to Messina. Some thoughts:

1) I've heard he really wanted to be a head coach. But I've also heard he's not the most impressive interviewee. Language barrier probably played a role.

2) Would he have been a success NBA head coach? I don't know. He's well-respected by just about everyone so I'd say he would have had a decent shot. I was never overly impressed during the instances he took over for Pop but that admittedly was a small sample size.

3) After losing Udoka and Messina, I'm almost certain that the Spurs will bring in at least one additional assistant coach from outside. That's what history tells us they will do. There's only so much they can elevate from within.

4) Will Becky become the lead assistant? Maybe but I'd guess not. It's just a bit too soon -- that'd be two big jumps from her current role. Plus, in order to get the highest quality assistant, the Spurs will need to dangle the lead assistant role. I think the chances are higher for Becky to slide into Ime's seat.

5) I think there's a higher chance the Spurs hire two outside assistant coaches than there is they stand pat.

6) If the Spurs do stand pat, that'd tell me the Spurs are planning to hire an outside coach after Pop retires and plan to let him bring in the assistant coaches of his choosing. In that scenario, there's no use spending money on assistant coaches who could only be in San Antonio for a season or two.

7) I still like the idea of bringing back Avery Johnson as an assistant. In retrospect, he did great work with the 2006 Mavs. That wasn't a very talented team and he had them within an inch of a championship. Plus, some of his innovations (isolating Dirk midpost around the free throw line, constant pick-and-rolls to force mismatches, killing teams who employed slow centers) are now used league-wide and can be traced back to his mid-00s Mavs teams. Sure, he's gruff and not super player-friendly, but he's smart, dedicated and not afraid to share his opinions, to say the least.

Genovaswitness
06-11-2019, 03:26 PM

1) I've heard he really wanted to be a head coach. But I've also heard he's not the most impressive interviewee. Language barrier probably played a role.

2) Would he have been a success NBA head coach? I don't know. He's well-respected by just about everyone so I'd say he would have had a decent shot. I was never overly impressed during the instances he took over for Pop but that admittedly was a small sample size.

3) After losing Udoka and Messina, I'm almost certain that the Spurs will bring in at least one additional assistant coach from outside. That's what history tells us they will do. There's only so much they can elevate from within.

4) Will Becky become the lead assistant? Maybe but I'd guess not. It's just a bit too soon -- that'd be two big jumps from her current role. Plus, in order to get the highest quality assistant, the Spurs will need to dangle the lead assistant role. I think the chances are higher for Becky to slide into Ime's seat.

5) I think there's a higher chance the Spurs hire two outside assistant coaches than there is they stand pat.

6) If the Spurs do stand pat, that'd tell me the Spurs are planning to hire an outside coach after Pop retires and plan to let him bring in the assistant coaches of his choosing. In that scenario, there's no use spending money on assistant coaches who could only be in San Antonio for a season or two.

7) I still like the idea of bringing back Avery Johnson as an assistant. In retrospect, he did great work with the 2006 Mavs. That wasn't a very talented team and he had them within an inch of a championship. Plus, some of his innovations (isolating Dirk midpost around the free throw line, constant pick-and-rolls to force mismatches, killing teams who employed slow centers) are now used league-wide and can be traced back to his mid-00s Mavs teams. Sure, he's gruff and not super player-friendly, but he's smart, dedicated and not afraid to share his opinions, to say the least.

why did kawhi leave

DPG21920
06-11-2019, 03:28 PM

Thanks for the thoughts; are you surprised IME was not viewed more highly by the Spurs knowing Messina was likely to leave?

K...
06-11-2019, 03:29 PM
why did kawhi leave

He got traded.

K...
06-11-2019, 03:33 PM
I am pretty bitter about Avery for 1) sucking as a player, 2) coaching the wrong team. But I think enough time had passed and he's hopefully mellowed a bit. His fortrightness may be good to battle lamarcus and DeRozans existential drama.

Also, his jersey retirement was a bit weak, and this will shore it up

superbigtime
06-11-2019, 03:38 PM
Ime is gone too, bro.

I know that. I'm lamenting the fact, bro

DesignatedT
06-11-2019, 03:51 PM
No, wait, I just realized, Becky isn't black! And she isn't disabled. Hm.

Ok, no problem. We just spray paint her, cut one of her legs off, and stick her in a wheelchair. Perfect. Then we make Becky the head coach, and all the little snowflake media from CNN and MSNBC and all the rest, will crawl a thousand miles on their hands and knees to kiss our ass. Yeah, that'll work.
:lol

Dex
06-11-2019, 03:57 PM
I know that. I'm lamenting the fact, bro

Sorry broseph, didn't catch your sarcasm.

SAGirl
06-11-2019, 03:58 PM
Gotta laugh at the clueless blind misogynists who haven’t watched the job Hammond’s done in summer league. Becky’s being elevated. Guaranteed.
For real. True story.

rjv
06-11-2019, 04:00 PM
All misogynists report to Spurstalk at once. :rollin

that's like half of ST.

SAGirl
06-11-2019, 04:13 PM

This point is really telling.

spursistan
06-11-2019, 04:17 PM
Let's be honest, If Pop writes you multiple letters of recommendation-- by far the most authoritative of its kind in this league-- and you still can't grab a HC job with a lottery team in a small market-- that should give us a pause to reassess Messina and his so-called 'good reputation around the league'

He heads back to Europe without even getting an opportunity to get hired and fired by some shitty organization like the Suns. In the final analysis, that's definitely not a good reflection on the guy's pedigree..

BillMc
06-11-2019, 04:33 PM
I wish him well.

GreekSpursfan
06-11-2019, 04:34 PM
I want to congratulate Becky H. for being the next SA head coach. I see no other alternative unless Bud comes back somehow, a scenario that has a very slim chance of happening because Bud and Giannis are a duo i don't see splitting in the foreseeable future unless they come here together.
I'm good with Becky as our next head coach.

TD 21
06-11-2019, 04:54 PM
Someone of some pedigree will be hired to be the lead assistant.

Not that it matters, but expect one of the two hires to be black. There's a reason there's typically a token one on otherwise all white staffs and it has nothing to do with their acumen (not that it's any lesser because it obviously isn't). It's because it would be a bad look to have an all white staff in a mostly black league, so they got to have one to supposedly "relate to the players", as the (ignorant) thinking goes.

venitian navigator
06-11-2019, 04:57 PM
Let's be honest, If Pop writes you multiple letters of recommendation-- by far the most authoritative of its kind in this league-- and you still can't grab a HC job with a lottery team in a small market-- that should give us a pause to reassess Messina and his so-called 'good reputation around the league'

He heads back to Europe without even getting an opportunity to get hired and fired by some shitty organization like the Suns. In the final analysis, that's definitely not a good reflection on the guy's pedigree..

I don't see it like this...the point is Messina is enough experienced and has enough pedigree and world reputation (outside of jis euro success he also has coached the italian national team) to negotiate the possible agreement in his own terms...and he's not inclined to accept works like the ones you were talking about. One thing is being a candidate for a Milwaukee team with potential and having quite a full control of your destiny (the one that Bud took and Messina was in competition for) another be treated like someone starving for a minimal chance of a coaching job. That's not the case of Messina. Ha has alternatives...like the Milano one, that make no mistake, is a very good opportunity.
The fact he's having interwiews doesn't mean he's crying for a head coaching job...the fact that team don't choose him, imho, has more to do with the kind of role and conditions the teams are offering compared to the ones he has proposed them to have.
No match, no deal.
The main lesson learned from the nba experience (expecially in a team like the Spurs, with a strict hierarchic order) is that if you are going to be head coach you need to have as much of control is possible 'cause the variables of your possible success are millions (starting from big players powers and owner's decisions about the market/personnel and goals)... In this the Blatt and Kokoskov experience teach something...if you're not in control of the situation your fate is not determined even by your outcomes (Blatt) nor by the kind of game you play (the non playmaking Phoenix Suns).

exstatic
06-11-2019, 05:00 PM

Not that it matters, but expect one of the two hires to be black. There's a reason there's typically a token one on otherwise all white staffs and it has nothing to do with their acumen (not that it's any lesser because it obviously isn't). It's because it would be a bad look to have an all white staff in a mostly black league, so they got to have one to supposedly "relate to the players", as the (ignorant) thinking goes.

Hopefully, someone better than their last lead assistant outside hire...

exstatic
06-11-2019, 05:01 PM

Hopefully, someone better than their last lead assistant outside hire...

K...
06-11-2019, 05:10 PM
It'd be nice if the holt babies hinted what they want. This would be their first big choice.

Capt Bringdown
06-11-2019, 05:13 PM
Coach Parker to the rescue.

Ocotillo
06-12-2019, 07:23 PM
Coach SJax to the rescue........ :wakeup

cutewizard
06-12-2019, 09:18 PM
Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnnnn nnnnnnnnnnnnnnuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu!!!!!!!

Seventyniner
06-12-2019, 09:26 PM

Don't we already have one of those? :pop:

8FOR!3
06-12-2019, 10:05 PM
Wasn't too stoked about losing Udoka but I'm not upset about getting a major shakeup with the assistants I think it'll be good for the team.

Keepin' it real
06-12-2019, 10:43 PM
Three cheers for Messina.

Hip hip, hooray!
Hip hip, hooray!
Hip hip, hooray!

TDMVPDPOY
06-12-2019, 11:08 PM
everyone leaving the nest...

so when is the cuckoo also leaving...popabitch and drunkford

tbdog
06-20-2019, 03:00 PM
https://news4sanantonio.com/sports/spurs-zone/ettore-messina-reveals-why-he-left-spurs-for-olmipia-milano

Just for some closure. Nothing juicy.

objective
06-21-2019, 06:11 AM
Is Kevin Ollie doing anything?

Spurs were always willing to help out disgraced college coaches, and he's a former player who was known for his good relationships with players. Rehabbing the image under Pop seems a good way to help the resume.

But he might be waiting on that $10 million he's trying to get out UConn

kobyz
06-21-2019, 06:36 AM
Could he take Becky with him please!

8FOR!3
06-21-2019, 06:59 AM
Wouldn't mind bringing Avery Johnson back at all as an assistant. Jeff Bzdelik would also be a really good pickup imo.

GusT15
06-21-2019, 09:21 AM
Messina's presentation and interview in Milan was awesome.

He admitted he wouldn't have taken the job if it didn't come with POBO role along the HC duties.

He said that he really wanted to be the Head Coach of a team again after working and learning alongside Pop.

He said that he's now looking for his own RC Buford for the FO.

And he finished joking that if Messina the Coach is underperforming he will fire him and hire another Head Coach :lol

https://www.eurohoops.net/en/euroleague/895503/ettore-messina-after-five-years-under-coach-popovich-i-wanted-to-be-a-head-coach-again/