PDA

View Full Version : Raptors: Nurses timeout call cost Championship?

Fabbs
06-10-2019, 10:57 PM
Warriors 92 Raptors 89 to:
Raptors 103 - 97 3:03 left.

Raptors had just outscored Dubs 14-5 with Kwa Leonard leading. Dubs were clearly on their heels, Raptors clearly had momentum. Playing to win vs playing not to lose. Curry clanks a three pointer (2nd miss in a row) and Raptors get the rebound.
Timeout by Nurse.

From that point on I saw Martyball NFL playing-not-to-lose-mentality from Raptors. Vs a refreshed Warriors team with a "what have we got to lose" attitude.

And final possession of Raptors after being gifted the offensive foul by Cousins. Unreal that shitty shot is what they came up with.

A two pass prayer chuck from the corner. Wow.

InRareForm
06-10-2019, 11:11 PM
Warriors got two good 3 point shooters and they made them. Probably a bad timeout but Don't overanalyze.

UZER
06-10-2019, 11:13 PM
Of course not. But if he had real balls, he would’ve subbed Kawhi out on the last possession.

:pop:

DC23
06-10-2019, 11:21 PM
I don't understand the 3:05 timeout nor the decision not to call timeout with 15 seconds left. Regardless, I do not see the Warriors winning this series. No Durant. Thompson & Curry are fatigued. Iggy & Livingston have nothing left.

DarrinS
06-10-2019, 11:21 PM
Bad timeout. No doubt about it

Fabbs
06-10-2019, 11:23 PM
Warriors got two good 3 point shooters and they made them. Probably a bad timeout but Don't overanalyze.
To the contrary, it's not that Curry missed his previous two treys before the timeout, it's that he looked very off on both clanks. As in tired. End of fight wearing down. Raptors OTOH were energized, especially by the two Kawhi treys. Seemed like everything was going there way.

It was a momentum changing timeout IMO. Now did it take the players to choke too the last 3 minutes? Oh yes of course. But the mentality and momentum did a 180 before and after.

loveforthegame
06-10-2019, 11:23 PM
https://mobile.twitter.com/JLew1050/status/1138299196367355904

spurraider21
06-10-2019, 11:25 PM
so his rationale is "i dunno, why not?"

Jeremy
06-10-2019, 11:31 PM
No timeout to draw up a championship-winning play? Or at least tell them to shoot right away? Horrible coaching! Down 1 with 16 seconds left, you shoot immediately! You don’t run the clock out on yourselves!

HarlemHeat37
06-11-2019, 12:03 AM
Worst coaching move since the 2013 Finals..

Completely stupid timeout that didn't make any sense..the final possession was embarrassing, as well, although that's also on Kawhi for poor awareness of the situation..

Johojowhite
06-11-2019, 12:04 AM
They’ll win in game 6. They just look like the better team tbh.

DPG21920
06-11-2019, 12:06 AM

Completely stupid timeout that didn't make any sense..the final possession was embarrassing, as well, although that's also on Kawhi for poor awareness of the situation..

It didn’t lose them the game. It didn’t help in the moment but of course it was not some great played game by TOR ruined by one bad decision.

But it’s amazing how good Kawhi is at everything except passing/awareness. I thought LMA was bad at handling doubles; Kawhi is worse.

DPG21920
06-11-2019, 12:06 AM

It didn’t lose them the game. It didn’t help in the moment but of course it was not some great played game by TOR ruined by one bad decision.

But it’s amazing how good Kawhi is at everything except passing/awareness. I thought LMA was bad at handling doubles; Kawhi is worse.

Killakobe81
06-11-2019, 12:08 AM
Raptors still might win

DPG21920
06-11-2019, 12:12 AM
Raptors still might win

They 99% will win. GS without KD is no match for this TOR team. Look at what Klay and Curry had to do just to win by 1 point. This series is over unless somehow Klay/Curry can play two MVP games EACH which I highly doubt.

apalisoc_9
06-11-2019, 12:15 AM
They 99% will win. GS without KD is no match for this TOR team. Look at what Klay and Curry had to do just to win by 1 point. This series is over unless somehow Klay/Curry can play two MVP games EACH which I highly doubt.

I still have raptors winning this series, but not by much. Assholes will get tight if it goes to 7.

DPG21920
06-11-2019, 12:18 AM
I still have raptors winning this series, but not by much. Assholes will get tight if it goes to 7.

Maybe - I dont think it gets to 7 honestly. Both wins took a lot from GS just to squeak by. I don’t see anything changing; TOR is by far the superior team with KD out.

Chris
06-11-2019, 12:56 AM
Nick 'Jason Garrett' Nurse iced his own team :lol

HarlemHeat37
06-11-2019, 01:08 AM

It was part of the reason they lost..also, how do you not call timeout on the final play? Just stupid..

phxspurfan
06-11-2019, 01:08 AM
Timeout was to rest Kawhi who was beasting. Lowry didn’t need to take that corner 3, could’ve stepped in for a 2 tbh

phxspurfan
06-11-2019, 01:09 AM

Raps role players need to play better in game 7 at home. No excuses for relying on one guy even if he’s playing like Jordan

loveforthegame
06-11-2019, 01:18 AM
Siakim has been trash since game 1. He’s gotta play better.

DMC
06-11-2019, 01:25 AM

Someone on the floor should have called a timeout when Kawhi got doubled.

DMC
06-11-2019, 01:26 AM
Timeout was to rest Kawhi who was beasting. Lowry didn’t need to take that corner 3, could’ve stepped in for a 2 tbh

Kawhi deferred too much tonight. There were several instances when he had an opening and just dumped it off to someone like Danny Green who bricked.

Capt Bringdown
06-11-2019, 01:57 AM
ESPN: Nurse: Late timeout was to give Raptors a rest (https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/26945689/late-was-give-raptors-rest)

Plenty of time to rest when GS is on another title victory parade.

Given the stakes and situation, one of the dumbest coaching moves I've ever seen.

I find it unlikely that Toronto can beat GS 3 times on their home court, and in a game 7, I find it hard to bet against the Splash bros.
Warriors in 7 is my gut feeling, although I hope I'm wrong.

Chris Fall
06-11-2019, 08:24 AM
It was a bad timeout. But if you put too much blame on the timeout, you’re giving the players too much of a free pass. They were up 6 with 3 minutes to go to WIN A CHAMPIONSHIP. Nut the fuck up and go take the title. That timeout isn’t a good enough excuse to score only two points in the final 3 minutes, and that was on a goaltend. That timeout might have helped Golden State gather themselves and catch a breath. But it shouldn’t have made the Raptor players suck.

Don’t put too much blame on the timeout. The players deserve it way more. The choke job is on the players.

baseline bum
06-11-2019, 08:35 AM
Never fuck with a hot streak. I was fucking baffled when I saw Nurse call that timeout. Also give your players a rest? WTF? Why are you giving their players a rest? GSW is the ones with no depth having to burn out their stars.

baseline bum
06-11-2019, 08:37 AM

There is no way pulling Duncan when Miami was forced to shoot threes is bad strategy. That wasn't 2003 Duncan, no way you want old man Duncan chasing shooters at the three point line.

Why don't you blame Kawhi for bobbling the rebound twice and losing it after LeBron's first missed three and then when he missed the free throw that would have put them up four a few seconds later?

Fabbs
06-11-2019, 08:51 AM
But it shouldn’t have made the Raptor players suck.
Don’t put too much blame on the timeout. The players deserve it way more. The choke job is on the players.
Technically yes. But you have to coach the players you have and know their tendencies.
Point is the Raptors players are suck prone in the clutch. Also rare that you see the Golden Phaggots in choke mode given all the pampering they are used to. All the more reason to show foresight and do NOT call a timeout there.
It was a massive fuck up by Nurse.

Chris Fall
06-11-2019, 09:04 AM
You just said the Raptors were suck prone in the clutch. Yeah, so not calling a timeout doesn't change that. If there was no timeout and Raptors still choke, plenty of people would criticize not calling a timeout when they had like three to burn in the final three minutes. And if the Raptors players are chokers, assuming you're not including Kawhi... well Kawhi was the one who basically singlehandedly got them the lead AND he was the one who was gassed. So the timeout was appropriate specifically to rest the non choker, the non suck prone.

And again. I said it was a bad timeout. Just don't blame the timeout too much. Give it the appropriate amount of blame.

superbigtime
06-11-2019, 10:47 AM
Danny Green sure didn't help

DMC
06-11-2019, 11:47 AM
Danny Green sure didn't help

Danny isn't a max deal star. He's a role player. Role players never get the blame because they don't get the glory.

SpursforSix
06-11-2019, 11:57 AM

I think the problem is the anxiety of not wanting to have tight assholes in Game 7 means tight assholes in Game 6.

GSW overcame the 3-1 that OKC had in 2016. I would think Toronto is aware of this even though it's probably left unmentioned.

superbigtime
06-11-2019, 12:01 PM
Danny isn't a max deal star. He's a role player. Role players never get the blame because they don't get the glory.

3 point shooter with NBA finals record for 3s should hit them in the 4th of a home Finals close out game! He looked like typical Danny.

Keepin' it real
06-11-2019, 12:05 PM
Man, I wish you guys could be NBA coaches. There would never be a coaching error again.

DMC
06-11-2019, 12:12 PM
3 point shooter with NBA finals record for 3s should hit them in the 4th of a home Finals close out game! He looked like typical Danny.

Curry holds that record. He did hit his.

Saying he should hit them then following up with "typical Danny" is conflicting takes.

DMC
06-11-2019, 12:15 PM
Man, I wish you guys could be NBA coaches. There would never be a coaching error again.

Pretty sure anyone here who was watching that game felt the "wtf" moment when Nurse called that timeout. You don't need to be a coach to realize it.

superbigtime
06-11-2019, 12:16 PM
Curry holds that record. He did hit his.

Saying he should hit them then following up with "typical Danny" is conflicting takes.

Aware. He should hit them. but he didn't. typical Danny.

Arcadian
06-11-2019, 12:34 PM
I kind of understand the timeout. Sometimes when you're on a run, you can start to play a sloppy style because you're just riding the wave of "everything is going well right now, so let's just play freely!" That's all well and good, but one gets the sense that the run is going to end soon, and the tides could shift the other way at any moment. Sometimes you want to sit down for a few minutes and cognitively assess the situation to ensure that you continue doing what got you this lead.

As far as the crowd, they were 3 minutes away from a championship, so a timeout shouldn't kill their energy at all. On the contrary, they should get even louder as they shift to celebration mode.

UZER
06-11-2019, 12:41 PM
Kawhi deferred too much tonight. There were several instances when he had an opening and just dumped it off to someone like Danny Green who bricked.

He sure did.

phxspurfan
06-11-2019, 02:41 PM

He's not even a good role player anymore it seems

phxspurfan
06-11-2019, 02:42 PM
Also TBH the Dubs shooters went supernova. Timeout or no timeout, this can happen anytime. It's how they have made their comebacks a lot throughout their run, and is also just general bball (game of runs).

Reck
06-11-2019, 02:52 PM
https://mobile.twitter.com/JLew1050/status/1138299196367355904

The nerves on this guy. :lol

Glad it backfired on him in a most spectacular way.

Having confidence is nice but this is straight up ignorance. :lol Nick Nurse not believing in momentum.

ambchang
06-11-2019, 04:13 PM

But the lakers missed the playoffs because of Smush Parker and Chris Mihm

spurraider21
06-11-2019, 04:37 PM
There is no way pulling Duncan when Miami was forced to shoot threes is bad strategy. That wasn't 2003 Duncan, no way you want old man Duncan chasing shooters at the three point line.

Why don't you blame Kawhi for bobbling the rebound twice and losing it after LeBron's first missed three and then when he missed the free throw that would have put them up four a few seconds later?
on the first possession that made sense, as heat were playing all smalls. they had lebron, wade, ray allen, chalmers, and mike miller on the floor

on the last possession though, they had bosh out there, and he's the one who ended up getting the rebound. you'd think after giving up the first O rebound they'd have learned

baseline bum
06-11-2019, 04:50 PM
on the first possession that made sense, as heat were playing all smalls. they had lebron, wade, ray allen, chalmers, and mike miller on the floor

on the last possession though, they had bosh out there, and he's the one who ended up getting the rebound. you'd think after giving up the first O rebound they'd have learned

Bosh was a three point shooter. Duncan would have been an enormous liability guarding the three that possession too.

Capt Bringdown
06-11-2019, 05:12 PM
Nick Nurse not believing in momentum.

He's likely to get another lesson in game 6.

KimmyGib
06-11-2019, 05:22 PM
Horrible, horrible timeout call. Not just because of Raps momentum, but more importantly, GS was crumbling and desperate for a timeout, but only had one left which they were saving. So Nick Nurse gifted them one, and it changed the outcome of a championship game.

sammy
06-11-2019, 05:23 PM
Pretty sure anyone here who was watching that game felt the "wtf" moment when Nurse called that timeout. You don't need to be a coach to realize it.

Idiot coach didn't have take a timeout while Quitter was playing well! He should've taken a timeout with the 16 seconds left and got a decent 2 point shot to win the Championship! Moron!

sammy
06-11-2019, 05:24 PM

Idiot coach didn't have take a timeout while Quitter was playing well! He should've taken a timeout with the 16 seconds left and got a decent 2 point shot to win the Championship! Moron!

Dex
06-11-2019, 05:48 PM
It only costs them a championship if they don't win Game 6 or 7.

DAF86
06-11-2019, 05:49 PM
In Nurse's defense: Kawhi looked gassed. Momentum >>> rest though. I wouldn't have called the TO.

Fabbs
06-11-2019, 06:05 PM
In Nurse's defense: Kawhi looked gassed. Momentum >>> rest though. I wouldn't have called the TO.
???
To the contrary Leonard had just dropped two treys while scoring the last 10 Raptor points. Snapped down 3 rebounds to boot. He was "the FMVP Award is probably mine" energized.
Curry looked gassed. The Dubs looked like they were a hair away from conceding.

This will be discussed in comparison with Greg Poppycocks 6 of 2013 if the Raps fold. While no where near as idiotic as Heat MVP Poppycocks strategy, result could also snatching defeat from the jaws of Championship victory.

Reck
06-11-2019, 06:06 PM

No he wasn't. He got himself ready for that push. He only scored 1 point in the entire 3rd quarter knowing he would go beast mode in the last stretch.

What you saw was Kawhi's resting face. The guy has a strange posture when he is sitting down.

ginobilized
06-11-2019, 08:43 PM
I guarantee you that Pop, Phil Jackson, Pat Riley and Red Auerbach would not have called that timeout.
It has opened the door for doubt to creep in. Toronto should still get this, but, not as decisively.

spurraider21
06-11-2019, 08:47 PM
:lmao this shit again... "timeout isnt a bad idea, but it also wasn't a good idea. but since it didnt work out, i wouldn't have called it."

DAF86
06-11-2019, 08:49 PM
???
To the contrary Leonard had just dropped two treys while scoring the last 10 Raptor points. Snapped down 3 rebounds to boot. He was "the FMVP Award is probably mine" energized.
Curry looked gassed. The Dubs looked like they were a hair away from conceding.

This will be discussed in comparison with Greg Poppycocks 6 of 2013 if the Raps fold. While no where near as idiotic as Heat MVP Poppycocks strategy, result could also snatching defeat from the jaws of Championship victory.

Did you see Kawhi sucking for air the moment that timeout was called?

DAF86
06-11-2019, 08:51 PM
:lmao this shit again... "timeout isnt a bad idea, but it also wasn't a good idea. but since it didnt work out, i wouldn't have called it."

What do you have against providing more than black or white takes, son? Are you really that basic? :lol

lefty
06-11-2019, 09:18 PM
:lol Nursovich

baseline bum
06-11-2019, 09:44 PM

Leonard always looks gassed. The last player I saw who spent as much time with his hands on his knees was Ewing.

DMC
06-11-2019, 10:00 PM
He's not even a good role player anymore it seems

He's still a quality defender. He bothered the rebounder and hustled to cover the 3. He's still serviceable but cannot put the ball on the floor and get to the rim. Kawhi was struggling doing that early.

DMC
06-11-2019, 10:01 PM
Leonard always looks gassed. The last player I saw who spent as much time with his hands on his knees was Ewing.

I thought you were going to say Jason Collins.

DMC
06-11-2019, 10:02 PM

And you crumb snatching again without a sign of a take.

DMC
06-11-2019, 10:04 PM

Boogie did everything in his power to give that ring to Toronto. They just didn't want it from Nurse down to the bench.

spurraider21
06-11-2019, 10:31 PM
And you crumb snatching again without a sign of a take.
i had the warriors winning even without durant. if im wrong im wrong

ambchang
06-12-2019, 11:30 AM
What’s this? The nephew failed to close and it’s the coaching staffs fault?

Thought I’d seen that before.

Will Hunting
06-12-2019, 11:51 AM
The timeout made sense at the time and I still don't think it was a bad idea. The pace of the game was really fast for the several possessions prior to the timeout and it made sense to slow the game down after going up by 6 with 3 minutes left. Kyle Lowry completely choking down the stretch with dumb shots and turnovers was the problem and that probably happens with or without Nurse's timeout.

Rusty
06-12-2019, 12:09 PM
^
disagree. Pushing up the pace works in favor of Toronto because the entire Warriors are all injured and banged up. The last thing you want to do is give them rest and time to regroup, and that's exactly what Nick Nurse did by calling a timeout. It was a just a terrible decision. Not only that, there wasn't any gameplan, no set play to run or anything during that timeout, it was used solely to give both teams a breather. The entire offense at the last 3 minutes was just Kyle L:lolwry and Kawhi ISO up top. Terrible offense imo

SpursforSix
06-12-2019, 12:23 PM

and Richard Jefferson probably

DAF86
06-12-2019, 12:37 PM
The timeout made sense at the time and I still don't think it was a bad idea. The pace of the game was really fast for the several possessions prior to the timeout and it made sense to slow the game down after going up by 6 with 3 minutes left. Kyle Lowry completely choking down the stretch with dumb shots and turnovers was the problem and that probably happens with or without Nurse's timeout.

They had scored in 3 straight possessions (or more I don't remember), hold to your TO to see if they keep rolling. One more bucket would have sealed the game. It would have made more sense if he would have called the TO after an empty offensive trip.

Rusty
06-12-2019, 01:04 PM
and Richard Jefferson probably

:lol

Spurtacular
06-12-2019, 02:49 PM

Timeout gave them their legs back and took away the panic. It's not over-analyzing. Terrible timeout.

therealtruth
06-12-2019, 10:44 PM
It was a lose it or use it timeout. However I think he shouldn't have taken the timeout. The Warriors were tired as well. That favored the Raptors since they had the crowd to keep them going.