PDA

View Full Version : Who Spurs Getting to Replace Vets Pondexter and Cunningham?

Dverde
06-14-2019, 09:14 AM
I doubt either Pondexter or Cunningham will be back. Bench need some new vets, maybe someone who plays defense. Who do you think the Spurs will target to replace them?

exstatic
06-14-2019, 09:19 AM
The Spurs had a full 15 man roster last year. The spot occupied first by Pau, and then by Motiejunas is open. That leaves one roster spot for two first rounders and a second rounder, unless they take the two occupied by Pon and Dante. Boom...15.

pad300
06-14-2019, 09:50 AM
As exstatic says, we don't have a lot of spots given the # of draft picks. So it really depends on the outcome of the draft. Say we get Clarke (19), Okpala (29) and Zoosman (49) (& trades of course). Then we'd pretty much be committed to signing big man. If it's Goga (19), J. Porter (29), and Jordan Bone (49), they will look for a 3&D wing...

Genovaswitness
06-14-2019, 09:51 AM
I’d rather have rasual butler than demar derozan

Dverde
06-14-2019, 09:54 AM

:nope

Dverde
06-14-2019, 10:02 AM
The Spurs had a full 15 man roster last year. The spot occupied first by Pau, and then by Motiejunas is open. That leaves one roster spot for two first rounders and a second rounder, unless they take the two occupied by Pon and Dante. Boom...15.

This is part of the reason I was fine dealing one of the first rounders at the trade deadline...they lock up roster spots for rookies Pop will never play. Much rather have Prince formally from ATL then a non-lottery first round pick.

Blackhaus
06-14-2019, 10:05 AM
Metu is on contract for next year correct?

John B
06-14-2019, 10:09 AM
Belli/Mills is one too many. Q-Pon can ball, but Dante has negative offensive rating despite his higher 3pt percentage. I think Murray and Walker would take those minutes. We need a backup big along with athletic 3 and D. I’m really hoping we get Little and Kabengele.

r0drig0lac
06-14-2019, 10:12 AM
Danuel House and Watanabe?

Bonner
06-14-2019, 10:33 AM

soon no one will be able to have them

TimDunkem
06-14-2019, 10:42 AM
Who are the two worst players in the NBA right now? The Spurs will choose them.

cjw
06-14-2019, 11:26 AM

Well, at least we know Butler’s NetRtg would be better than Demar’s negative one by default

soon no one will be able to have them

:nope also

exstatic
06-14-2019, 11:34 AM
This is part of the reason I was fine dealing one of the first rounders at the trade deadline...they lock up roster spots for rookies Pop will never play. Much rather have Prince formally from ATL then a non-lottery first round pick.

Did you know that TOR doesn't have even ONE lottery pick on their championship roster? Yet, the Knicks have like 5 or 6.

It's all about who's doing the scouting and picking. I'd trust PATFO's late first rounders over most FO's top 5 picks.

Dverde
06-14-2019, 11:36 AM

Key is to find a player who turned them down in the past and no longer any good...Amir Johnson? I also forgot that the player must drink coffee.

Keepin' it real
06-14-2019, 11:36 AM
Cady Lalane ready to take the next step! Bring him on down.

Drom John
06-14-2019, 11:52 AM

ESPN Real Plus Minus WINS

514 Kevin Knox
513 Antonio Blakeney

cd021
06-14-2019, 12:01 PM
It'll probably be both 1st rounders.

BackHome
06-14-2019, 12:23 PM
I see Pondexter probably joining coaching staff as assistant and Cunningham getting waived as they will be replaced with 2 first round picks. That will still leave us a open slot and if desperate they could just release Metu if necessary to add another open slot.

BlackAndWhite
06-14-2019, 12:41 PM
I like pondexter personally but I think he's done playing. Those injuries really took a toll on him

timtonymanu
06-14-2019, 12:44 PM
It’s almost 2020. Hopefully both those guys don’t come back. Knowing Pop he has ZBo waiting for a call next.

sananspursfan21
06-14-2019, 12:49 PM

something tells me you don’t mean that

RC_Drunkford
06-14-2019, 12:50 PM
the answer is the 19th and the 29th pick. That leaves one open roster spot for the MLE unless the Spurs trade multiple players

Larry O
06-14-2019, 02:54 PM
It's gonna be interesting to see what will happen to our current 2-way players, Drew Eubanks (PF) & Ben Moore (SF/tweener). Eubanks has been working on his handles & his outside shot, & will be taking part of the Summer League in July, but it's unsure of what Moore is up to (SL, too?). Could it be possible that one or both be given full contracts, perhaps on the MLE? I'm sure that as the preseason rolls around, they will have pre-season invites for players to try out as well. But there are lots of unknowns from a fan's perspective as to who PATFO is planning to invite/sign. To me, it's always that player out of "left field," if you will, or someone you'd least expect. It was said that Pop told the media in his exit interview, to pretty much expect the same group to be back next season, but with this organization, who knows! First the draft, then a decision to keep RG22 or not, then look to possibly add other FA's if possible ( and assistant coaches to fill vacant slots, too!)? But for sure, it could be either another boring summer, or there may be some interesting surprises, but we'll see as things begin to unfold. GSG!!!

TimDunkem
06-14-2019, 02:56 PM
ESPN Real Plus Minus WINS

514 Kevin Knox
513 Antonio Blakeney

Nah. Too young. Maybe in 15 years.

talkspurs
06-14-2019, 08:29 PM
I would like us to get Mario Hezonja. Has size Defense and can shoot the 3. He also has some handles. That being said I am also interested to see what our 2-way players have. I am hoping we can get rid of Belli or Mills.

RC_Drunkford
06-14-2019, 08:33 PM
I would like us to get Mario Hezonja. Has size Defense and can shoot the 3. He also has some handles. That being said I am also interested to see what our 2-way players have. I am hoping we can get rid of Belli or Mills.

or? Add DeRozan and Bertans and get rid of all 4

Big Empty
06-14-2019, 08:54 PM
Ik Kawhi leaves Toronto trade DeMar back for a 1st round and Powell

talkspurs
06-14-2019, 09:11 PM
or? Add DeRozan and Bertans and get rid of all 4

I would rather Keep bertans unless we get something good for him. I think his defense is under appreciated. He is not great and never will be but is far far better then mills. (even when adjusting for height/position)

JeffDuncan
06-14-2019, 09:22 PM
I would like us to get Mario Hezonja. ...

Too expensive for the role. He's 6.5 million, Cunningham was 2.5 million, and Pondexter was 2.165 million. The Spurs shouldn't go over 3 million for an end of the bench player who won't get much game time.

Dverde
06-14-2019, 09:39 PM
I guess Nikola Milutinov wouldn’t be a possibility. Last I heard he signed another overseas deal. Jeff Green? He does take a lot of contested 2 pt jumpers.

JeffDuncan
06-14-2019, 10:50 PM
... Jeff Green? He does take a lot of contested 2 pt jumpers.

At 2.4 million, for his last contract, Green is definitely worth a look. An 11 year vet, apparently healthy, played in 77 games last season. Power forward now, but he played 7 earlier seasons at SF. If there's a way to pry him loose from the Wiz, then sure, grab him, if he can be hired for 3 mil or less. In his case, perhaps offer somewhat more. Unless there's an off-court issue, or health issue, Google didn't show me in a quick search.

For a veteran down at chair 12 or 13 on the bench, you're not going to get an all star, and you can't pay him a high salary. And you don't expect he'll see much game time.

What you need down at that end of the bench is,
* a player who won't cause trouble,
* who works hard in practice, to help train the rotation players, and mentor the youngsters,
* who's very dependable about always being on time,
* who has veteran knowledge, from his personal experience, that he can share about opposing players and teams, especially players you don't see often,
* who has a good personality for community relations activities, especially around kids,
* who, if you have to play him extended minutes, will make some kind of contribution, and not just be a drag on the team,
* and stuff like that.

A player who can do the above will earn his money, even if, in games, you only ever see him in garbage time. There's a lot more to building a good team than you see in just the 48 minutes of a game.

cutewizard
06-14-2019, 11:25 PM
someday, the SPURS shall win the NBA title!!!!!!!!!!!!!

book itttttttttttttttttt

yiiiihhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaa!!!

hahahaha, lol

cutewizard
06-14-2019, 11:25 PM
Kai Sotto to the SPURS!!!!!!!

cutewizard
06-14-2019, 11:26 PM
i miss the MJ/Rodman Chicago Bulls

cutewizard
06-14-2019, 11:27 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hq8VPYPzKHk

cutewizard
06-14-2019, 11:28 PM
the bullls are the best of all time

yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

timvp
06-15-2019, 12:19 AM
As others have said, the roster is tight. The Spurs have two first rounders, a second rounder and the MLE with three open spots. And that assumes that out of Metu, Eubanks and Ben Moore, the Spurs only keep one on their NBA roster.

BWS-1994
06-15-2019, 12:31 AM
As others have said, the roster is tight. The Spurs have two first rounders, a second rounder and the MLE with three open spots. And that assumes that out of Metu, Eubanks and Ben Moore, the Spurs only keep one on their NBA roster.

If they keep all 3 picks and the aforementioned 3 from the G League, then it will come down to Summer league and the pre season performance then.

Is it possible to re-sign Moore and Eubanks to another 2 way contract? Though I doubt they’ll find that appealing.

And what if the Spurs sign a vet for the MLE? Is worth cutting him in case the rooks and the G League trio greatly surpass expectations?

phxspurfan
06-15-2019, 12:55 AM
bye Metu and Ben Moore, whoever you are. Eubanks stays b/c he showed signs of playability as a backup C, at least through training camp

monty4329
06-15-2019, 02:01 AM
Hopefully not another rookie who'll never play in the NBA. Enough with contracts given to Metu, Eubanks and talentless projects. We have so many unplayable young guys eating away resources. Get rid of all of them, trade for supposedly bad contracts but that at least can play.
With Murray, White, (Walker even if to me he'll never play at this level) we have enough young people.

Get Kevin F. Love

spurs1990
06-15-2019, 09:07 AM
10 contracts on the books per Bball reference.
I expect these ten + Gay to be the full rotation for 2020.

+ Metu, Eubanks, 19, 29 equals 15 players. No need for those bench vets with continuity already full.

1) Murray
2) White
3) DeRozan
4) Aldridge
5) Poetle
6) Forbes
7) Mills
8) Belinelli
9) Bertans
10) Walker
11) Gay
12) Metu
13) Eubanks
14) 19
15) 29

dbestpro
06-15-2019, 10:01 AM
i miss the MJ/Rodman Chicago Bulls

I miss Chamberlin and Alcindor matchups. I been around for a while.

BackHome
06-15-2019, 10:58 AM
Hate to break it to you but Ben Moore is making the team.

talkspurs
06-15-2019, 11:09 AM
Too expensive for the role. He's 6.5 million, Cunningham was 2.5 million, and Pondexter was 2.165 million. The Spurs shouldn't go over 3 million for an end of the bench player who won't get much game time.

Do you want to get better or stay the same? Cunningham was brought in to be the starter but did not pan out. We need a good quality SF that can play Defense. If DD starts at SF we will still have problems with the teams that have quality SF which is several teams in the league. We also could have problems with better PF but I think Aldridge and Gay can take care of most of those.
As mentioned by several other posters we are almost full as it is so we really are looking at one sport for the MLE. I am hoping 19 takes one then either 29. Eubanks, Moore takes the other one. 49 I think is going overseas or to D league.
One of your concerns was a players sitting at the end of the bench and making a lot. We will already have two of those next year in mills and Beli. I dont see either one of these getting lots of time. I dont think Hezonja would e end of the bench as he is better then both of these and younger. he is also about the same as Beli in pay scale.

TheGreatYacht
06-15-2019, 12:09 PM
Ben Moore and Drew Eubanks are the bottom of the barrel when it comes to 2 way contract players. Hopefully that drunk sob RC can finally utilize those spots correctly with players that dominate the G-League instead of journeymen at that level. Metu is also useless.

As for Cu-Pon replacements, the worst two players in the league sounds about right. Think of players in the mold of KMart, TMac, Joel Anthony, Rasual Butler, etc.

Bottom of the barrel franchise.

SpursStar
06-15-2019, 04:24 PM
Really wish we had someone like Cory Jospeh over the likes of Belinelli and Mills

JeffDuncan
06-15-2019, 04:28 PM
Really wish we had someone like Cory Jospeh over the likes of Belinelli and Mills

Or better yet, a decent small forward instead of them.