PDA

View Full Version : Trade DeMar

Ruler
06-16-2019, 12:01 PM
If you are a realistic spurs fan, Derozan just doesn’t fit with a healthy Spurs roster as it is constructed. With Murray not proving he has a reliable three yet, white struggling with his three (unless open), and Lamarcus / Jakob taking up so much space inside, I really don’t see it working out. Even Lonnie isn’t a threat. All we have from outside is Marco and Bertans. Plus DeMar really wasn’t that great last year.

Thoughts?

SpursDynasty85
06-16-2019, 12:22 PM
If you are a realistic spurs fan, Derozan just doesn’t fit with a healthy Spurs roster as it is constructed. With Murray not proving he has a reliable three yet, white struggling with his three (unless open), and Lamarcus / Jakob taking up so much space inside, I really don’t see it working out. Even Lonnie isn’t a threat. All we have from outside is Marco and Bertans. Plus DeMar really wasn’t that great last year.

Thoughts?

Now that the Warriors are no longer the Warriors it would make a lot more sense to keep DeMar since literally 8 teams or so in the west have a legit shot at the finals. We are just one athletic defensive PF/SF away from having a pretty complete roster. Poeltl and Aldridge is an ok fit but Aldridge will need to play 5 at least half the time if not more.

Capt Bringdown
06-16-2019, 12:45 PM
DeRozan & Fatty to NO for the 4th pick

Dennis the Menace
06-16-2019, 12:47 PM

Jsn
06-16-2019, 12:49 PM
Spurs need to have a meeting with Demar to let him know that we do want him on the team, not as a starter, but as a 6th man. If he is not with it, we need to look to trade him, and it wouldn't be because we didn't want him. Demar is still a major piece to winning a championship. But his lack of outside shot hinders our first unit when defenses can game plan for us. His scoring fits best with a one on one type of play that can be used in the second unit, posting up, slashing to rim, mid range pull ups, and kick outs. He's not really a spot up guy, something our first unit requires since Demar is not a point guard. He'd still average 20+ pts a game. I think he'd play a more efficient game and would be in rhythm all season long playing against opposing teams 2nd units, which would benefit his confidence entering the playoffs.

It's fine that Demar will make 28mil on his last year of his current deal, but after that, I think a fair deal for both sides would be 16m-19m a year for 4 years. I can't imagine another team offering him much more than 20mil on a multiyear deal. Demar as a 6th man would not only make our 2nd unit more lethal but would also accelerate the growth of our younger guys in the starting line up. If the starting unit is struggling they would have Demar to fall back on. I hope Demar can be open to this idea so he can get a ring too. Maybe the Spurs will leave him in the starting line up so he can try to make one more all star game this year, with all the injuries he may have a chance. But if he is not willing to come off the bench at some point, I think we will look to trade him or just let him walk.

Dennis the Menace
06-16-2019, 01:01 PM
Spurs can develop De’Andre Hunter, Nassir Little, or Rui Hachimura into a better player than what Derozan is.

Derozan is a net negative, one dimensional volume chunking, liability on defense. You’re not going to win a championship with this guy. He won’t come off the bench. Can you imagine his frail psyche after that?

If Spurs think their development team can mold one of those 3 potential picks you make whatever Derozan trade is required

lmbebo
06-16-2019, 01:09 PM
Only trade him if it makes sense. Not sure it does anymore... Do think he would excel coming off of the bench, but not sure he could emotionally take it (may hurt some of his confidence).

JeffDuncan
06-16-2019, 01:19 PM

Thoughts?

The thought I'm having is that you might be Apa's aunt.

baseline bum
06-16-2019, 01:24 PM
Honestly, gotta just hope Chip Engelland can work the magic he did with Leonard and Parker on DeRozan. As much as he's not an ideal fit, he was probably the main reason the Spurs finished the season with one of the league's elite offenses. I mean I'd move him in a second to improve the team's future prospects, but he's not an addition by subtraction guy that you'd just want to get off your team either.

TXstbobcat
06-16-2019, 01:32 PM

why would New Orleans even consider that?

cjw
06-16-2019, 01:59 PM

Not just that, but you have to match contracts

NO has like $26mm in cap space and the fourth pick counts for no money coming back. Demar and Mills combine for $30mm, so New Orleans would need to renounce all holds and ship back salary. Only way the deal happens is if the Spurs take back Solomon Hill. And that defeats purpose of creating cap room.

John B
06-16-2019, 03:56 PM
Defends how he sees Raps championship without him. IF it fuels him to take 1000 shots a day, be a defensive guy I know he’s capable of, then keep him. We have enough scorer. And Beautiful Game showed don’t need a Superstar to rin. But Spurs need that defensive stopper.

tonski17
06-16-2019, 08:02 PM
keep demar and start rudy, bring white off the bench but should have major minutes like Manu's role. DJ, white, demar, gay, LA for small ball or Poetl to the mix for rudy. Give minutes to walker, i think he is ready to contribute may it be offensively or defensively

rogcl1
06-16-2019, 08:11 PM
Defends how he sees Raps championship without him. IF it fuels him to take 1000 shots a day, be a defensive guy I know he’s capable of, then keep him. We have enough scorer. And Beautiful Game showed don’t need a Superstar to rin. But Spurs need that defensive stopper.

Really? Spurs are offensively challenged without LMA and DD and sometimes with them. The Spurs had four future hall of famers playing within the framework of the beautiful game, all of them individual stars on their own.

GusT15
06-16-2019, 08:20 PM
Really? Spurs are offensively challenged without LMA and DD and sometimes with them. The Spurs had four future hall of famers playing within the framework of the beautiful game, all of them individual stars on their own.

Spurs were the 11th best Offense this year and the 20th Defense.

Murray will fix some of the Defense but it was obvious all season long that the main problem was our defensive problems and not the offensive blackouts.

(The Offensive problems in the Playoffs were cause we absolutely sucked offensively vs the Nuggets and DeRozan was a part of that-defensively he is always a part of the problem)

tbdog
06-16-2019, 08:21 PM
Derozen is our best guard. If the other players don't fit with him, they get moved, not the other way round. Unless, A) Personality reasons. B) Those young players have a chance to be better than DD in the short run.

BSfromTX
06-16-2019, 08:23 PM
We simply have too many guards, and most of them suck on defense

GusT15
06-16-2019, 08:23 PM
Derozen is our best guard. If the other players don't fit with him, they get moved, not the other way round. Unless, A) Personality reasons. B) Those young players have a chance to be better than DD in the short run.

Since DeRozan is our best GUARD we should play him at a guard position.

He is not a SF... Just saying...

John B
06-16-2019, 08:46 PM
Tbh Demar in his first year wasn’t bad. It takes more than a season to get acclimated to Spurs system, but he was already Spurs best facilitator last season. Much of Spurs problem was defensive stops that a lot will be fixed just with Murray coming back, plus Walker improvement and of course with White already. Demar definitely needs that long range and improved defense. I’m really hoping he’ll beast next season. He has to.

baseline bum
06-16-2019, 08:48 PM

They bent over once?

SpursBills
06-16-2019, 08:52 PM
If Kyrie ends up going to the lakers (highly probable) anybody think they could convince the nets to give up Caris LeVert for DeRozan?

tbdog
06-16-2019, 08:56 PM
Since DeRozan is our best GUARD we should play him at a guard position.

He is not a SF... Just saying...

He is playing SF because we lack SF's. It demonstrates how good he is. A down year, putting up good numbers in the first year on the new team while playing out of position. If we stop comparing him to the best player in the league, he is pretty damn good.

GusT15
06-16-2019, 09:13 PM
He is playing SF because we lack SF's. It demonstrates how good he is. A down year, putting up good numbers in the first year on the new team while playing out of position. If we stop comparing him to the best player in the league, he is pretty damn good.

The fact of the matter,is he had his best seasons with a two way PG who could create his own shot,could shoot the 3 and was good on defense (in the regular season anyway).

He shouldn't be playing SF and RC should construct the roster with less holes next year.

And even then,DeRozan would be a bad fit with OUR guards cause (until proven otherwise) DJ can't shoot from 3,White is inconsistent from 3 and i dunno what Mills is without Manu tbh.

That's why people are talking about trading DeMar and being a bad fit.
And yes,it's easy to say "He's the allstar,trade the other guys" but you know damn well that it doesn't work that way.It's not easier to trade Murray/White/Mills/Forbes and start building the backcourt from scratch than it is simply trading DeRozan.

So either
-DeRozan gets traded (he won't,cause we're the Spurs)
-Murray and White develop into good to great two way guards (they might,cause we're the Spurs)
-Our Guards don't develop that much and DeRozan stays a bad fit (and that's the most probable scenario unfortunately)

hater
06-16-2019, 09:19 PM
The soerms never win another ship you turd OP

GAustex
06-16-2019, 09:35 PM
TBdog is going to eviscerate me but this is what i said before and I still think:
“IMHO
DDR is cancerous; the stank around him pulls everyone down especially at crucial moments
Mills just isn’t any good
SA would be better w/o both
Assuming they could get a couple of decent replacements who can defend and make an open shot at a reasonable percentage”

RC_Drunkford
06-16-2019, 10:18 PM
The trade title should be trade Mills tbh. I don't like DeRozan's game, but we won't get a player better than him this offseason. If you want to make a run keep Aldridge/DeRozan/Gay and add Bogdanovic into the mix. That means getting rid of Mills and either Bertans or Belinelli or all 3 without taking salary back. Now for the 4th pick I'd trade DeRozan, but counting only on the development of the young guys is a huge gamble

tbdog
06-16-2019, 10:20 PM
TBdog is going to eviscerate me but this is what i said before and I still think:
“IMHO
DDR is cancerous; the stank around him pulls everyone down especially at crucial moments
Mills just isn’t any good
SA would be better w/o both
Assuming they could get a couple of decent replacements who can defend and make an open shot at a reasonable percentage”

I don't see how DD is cancerous. He was loved, like absolutely beloved in Toronto; his team mates, his fans, the organisation, coaches, the whole lot. And it took the organisation the best player in the world to be disgruntled and available for them to trade him. This isn't a Jimmy Butler type of thing. A D-Ang Russell recording his team mate confessing to cheating. Or I'm a starter Melo. Lance Stevenson, Dwight Howard laughing around and not caring. DD might lack some leadership skills but he is a willing team mate, stays out of trouble off the court, stays healthy on the court, and appears to train hard. I don't get the issue here.

tbdog
06-16-2019, 10:22 PM
The trade title should be trade Mills tbh. I don't like DeRozan's game, but we won't get a player better than him this offseason. If you want to make a run keep Aldridge/DeRozan/Gay and add Bogdanovic into the mix. That means getting rid of Mills and either Bertans or Belinelli or all 3 without taking salary back. Now for the 4th pick I'd trade DeRozan, but counting only on the development of the young guys is a huge gamble

If we trade him for the 4th pick, we don't make the playoffs, so may as well sell LMA out and dump him. Then we are just going to hope for the best and see what comes out of these picks. And it has been said time and time again, tanking often leads to more tanking. You align your best players contract with one another. Once it's time to move, you do. You get another star while your youth movements continues.

Manong Ginobili
06-17-2019, 12:21 AM

This. Griffin is looking for an established all-star. DeMar can make them relevant, after doing the same for Toronto :bobo

Down Under
06-17-2019, 12:33 AM
Spurs need to have a meeting with Demar to let him know that we do want him on the team, not as a starter, but as a 6th man. If he is not with it, we need to look to trade him, and it wouldn't be because we didn't want him. Demar is still a major piece to winning a championship. But his lack of outside shot hinders our first unit when defenses can game plan for us. His scoring fits best with a one on one type of play that can be used in the second unit, posting up, slashing to rim, mid range pull ups, and kick outs. He's not really a spot up guy, something our first unit requires since Demar is not a point guard. He'd still average 20+ pts a game. I think he'd play a more efficient game and would be in rhythm all season long playing against opposing teams 2nd units, which would benefit his confidence entering the playoffs.

It's fine that Demar will make 28mil on his last year of his current deal, but after that, I think a fair deal for both sides would be 16m-19m a year for 4 years. I can't imagine another team offering him much more than 20mil on a multiyear deal. Demar as a 6th man would not only make our 2nd unit more lethal but would also accelerate the growth of our younger guys in the starting line up. If the starting unit is struggling they would have Demar to fall back on. I hope Demar can be open to this idea so he can get a ring too. Maybe the Spurs will leave him in the starting line up so he can try to make one more all star game this year, with all the injuries he may have a chance. But if he is not willing to come off the bench at some point, I think we will look to trade him or just let him walk.
I always thought he'd make a pretty good 6th man.

testies
06-17-2019, 01:33 AM
honestly if we play the Suns in the playoffs with derozen I wouldn't even bet on us to win. they are athletic and try hard, thats enough to make demar shiver in his blanket

kobyz
06-17-2019, 01:57 AM

Would you do Bellinelli, Bertans and #19 for Bogdanovic?

monty4329
06-17-2019, 03:00 AM
DDR + Mills for a year of KD rehabbing + some cap space. GS needs bodies and points. Everybody happy.

RC_Drunkford
06-17-2019, 06:06 AM
If we trade him for the 4th pick, we don't make the playoffs, so may as well sell LMA out and dump him. Then we are just going to hope for the best and see what comes out of these picks. And it has been said time and time again, tanking often leads to more tanking. You align your best players contract with one another. Once it's time to move, you do. You get another star while your youth movements continues.

That's not true because

A. The team made the playoffs with LA being the only star that year before
B. we get Murray back
C. You forget the cap space that that would open up. Spurs could add Bogdanovic and Marcus Morris easily and that alone would make the team better than last years
D. DeAndre Hunter is the best defender in the draft and with him we'd have a defensive 3 who could play right away

I'd still rather move Mills and Belinelli though

RC_Drunkford
06-17-2019, 06:10 AM
Would you do Bellinelli, Bertans and #19 for Bogdanovic?

No because he's a free agent and he'll want more than 12 million. Even more than 15 million. Giving up a pick to sign somebody who's a free agent anyway makes no sense. But I would be open to dumping Mills by adding 29 and maybe move Bertans and 19 to move up a little. That would give the Spurs enough room to sign Bojan. The one problem with DeRozan is that this is a contract year (although he has a player option next offseason) and it would be stupid to lose him for nothing. So trading him now makes the most sense, unless you plan on extending him

Trainwreck2100
06-17-2019, 06:31 AM

that's not how trades work, at all

Marcus Bryant
06-18-2019, 11:13 PM
It’s not like DeRozan guarantees you a deep playoff run and he doesn’t fit the team well. Not sure what return you can get for him though.

TimDunkem
06-18-2019, 11:28 PM
Now that the Warriors are no longer the Warriors it would make a lot more sense to keep DeMar since literally 8 teams or so in the west have a legit shot at the finals. We are just one athletic defensive PF/SF away from having a pretty complete roster. Poeltl and Aldridge is an ok fit but Aldridge will need to play 5 at least half the time if not more.

DD will never ring. We won't win with him.

Ed Helicopter Jones
06-19-2019, 12:05 AM
that's not how trades work, at all

Don’t ruin this thread with sense or intelligence.

Kurgan
06-19-2019, 12:07 AM
His inability to play offball, shoot the threeball, or defend makes him a horrible fit in our starting lineup(or any starting lineup for that matter). Just look at how horrendous his On-Off numbers were in the playoffs this year. We gotta stop pretending he's suddenly going to turn the corner at age 30 and become a different player because of the retarded "Durr, spurs players need a year in da system" bullshit. Raptors tried to make him a three point threat and it didn't work(barely shot 31%). They also tried surrounding him with three point shooters to offset his deficiency from there and it didn't change a thing as the Raptors were humiliated in the post-season year after year. Everyone insisted that it was a Raptors problem and that Lowry shared DD's playoff struggles but Lowry thrived this year while Demar continued to choke(1 for 10 shooting in the most important game of the season).

Pop needs to bring him off the bench where he can dominate the ball all he wants. He can feast on bench units and his defense won't be as much of an issue against scrubs. Manu's ten times the player he is and he was willing to come off the bench to help the team. If Demar doesn't like it, he can pout and opt out next year - Spurs won't miss him.

TDMVPDPOY
06-19-2019, 12:52 AM
trade him to the knicks or nets...

wouldnt mind that snitch russell who has improve his game alot...

Bellboy
06-19-2019, 03:07 AM
San Antonio gets:

Devin Booker
Ty Warren

Phoenix gets:

Derozan
Mills

We get younger and only add one guaranteed roster spot

szkorhetz
06-19-2019, 03:09 AM
San Antonio gets:

Devin Booker
Ty Warren

Phoenix gets:

Derozan
Mills

Why in the world would Phoenix do this?
Are you crazy or what?

Bellboy
06-19-2019, 03:20 AM
All trade machines say Phoenix gets 2 more wins and San Antonio gets 4 less wins

They make playoffs, we don’t.

They end our playoff streak and it exorcises all their past demons with the Spurs. ��

cutewizard
06-19-2019, 03:28 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyoWEtaI1oA

cutewizard
06-19-2019, 03:29 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqTA_oAA2W0

Bellboy
06-19-2019, 03:32 AM
Are you crazy or what?

Doesn’t matter anyway. Booker’s off court behavior is not Spursy.

cutewizard
06-19-2019, 03:34 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ic4atOJYqGE

cutewizard
06-19-2019, 03:41 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZr-M261hbc

cutewizard
06-19-2019, 03:43 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWdXmSC2tSQ

cutewizard
06-19-2019, 03:53 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBZTPtENQCY

cutewizard
06-19-2019, 03:54 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66V_XnGHFzI

GAustex
06-19-2019, 06:48 AM
San Antonio gets:

Devin Booker
Ty Warren

Phoenix gets:

Derozan
Mills

Please please
Get rid of both at once

MoSpur02
06-19-2019, 08:33 AM

Stopped watching when he said Derozan fits well with the Spurs.

GreekSpursfan
06-19-2019, 08:36 AM

All the fucking ignorants are in the youtube channel business, who cares.

exstatic
06-19-2019, 08:43 AM
Not just that, but you have to match contracts

NO has like $26mm in cap space and the fourth pick counts for no money coming back. Demar and Mills combine for $40mm, so New Orleans would need to renounce all holds and ship back salary. Only way the deal happens is if the Spurs take back Solomon Hill. And that defeats purpose of creating cap room.

FIFY

duncan2k5
06-19-2019, 09:04 AM
DDR is the definition of empty stats... We used to hate those type of players on other teams... Now we defend him... Every team he has ever been on was better with him off the floor...on top of that he is a choker that can't shoot threes... Trade him while he has some semblance of value

sasaint
06-19-2019, 09:13 AM
DDR is the definition of empty stats... We used to hate those type of players on other teams... Now we defend him... Every team he has ever been on was better with him off the floor...on top of that he is a choker that can't shoot threes... Trade him while he has some semblance of value

Especially with the logjam in the backcourt it is the only logical thing to do. Therefore, PATFO will cling to him.

Dennis the Menace
06-19-2019, 09:21 AM
Wouldn’t this be the best time to trade Derozan? Like, the return on the investment would be at its highest right now since he has 2 years left on that contract right?

Watch this front office learn nothing from the Kawhi debacle and get fleeced again or net nothing in return for Derozan as it expires with Spurs.

In that doomsday scenario, the best player on the planet got traded for Poetl and the #29. Don’t even count Derozan since he’s a negative space.

Heads would need to roll with terminations

cjw
06-19-2019, 10:27 AM
FIFY

Math fail by me. Ouch

But makes point even more ... $40 is a lot to take back without crap coming back to you

YGWHI
06-19-2019, 10:33 AM
Sadly someone on Spurs coaching staff thought the same thing last year.

SpursDynasty85
06-19-2019, 03:38 PM

Conveniently or ignorantly left out Lonnie Walker when talking about prospects. Not to mention we are a playoff team for the extended future. Basically we need our guys to develop and we need to pick up a key free agent in the future.

exstatic
06-19-2019, 03:49 PM

Sure we do. We made it on LMA's back in 2017-2018, and we have another young guard in Lonnie, and White and DJ are older and more experienced.

DeadlyDynasty
06-19-2019, 03:52 PM
Nobody is taking that stuff off your hands tbh

spurraider21
06-19-2019, 04:08 PM
Are you crazy or what?
i miss the days of ST proposing trades of bonner/blar/neal for all stars

spurraider21
06-19-2019, 04:10 PM
if we can swing derozan to the pels in a deal involving the #4 i do that in a heartbeat

tbdog
06-19-2019, 04:14 PM
Sure we do. We made it on LMA's back in 2017-2018, and we have another young guard in Lonnie, and White and DJ are older and more experienced.

West is deeper.