PDA

View Full Version : Considerations as the Spurs Prepare for the 2019 NBA Draft

timvp
06-17-2019, 10:16 PM
The Spurs enter this year's draft with three picks: 19, 29 and 49. The front office has a fantastic track record over the last 20-plus seasons in the draft and RC Buford and company's ability to draft well is perhaps the most important strength of the entire organization going forward.

The 2019 NBA Draft is different for San Antonio because it's the first time since Gregg Popovich returned as GM in 1994 that the team doesn't have a franchise player on the roster. From David Robinson to Tim Duncan to Kawhi Leonard, there was always someone to build around. While today's Spurs have talented veterans and promising youth, it's undeniably a different landscape.

Overall, the Spurs will still be in the business of drafting the best player, as has usually been the case over the years. However, due to the altered landscape the Spurs find themselves in, I think a few considerations should enter the front office's equation when deciding which players to draft.

Positions Not Equal

As the roster is constructed, it's impossible to ignore that drafting a guard doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Between Derrick White and Dejounte Murray, the Spurs don't have extra minutes available for a developmental point guard. Add in Lonnie Walker IV, who San Antonio remains very high on, and there aren't many hypothetical minutes at shooting guard either. If Bryn Forbes turns out to be a long-term piece, the guard positions are even more fortified.

Currently, DeMar DeRozan is a full-time small forward but, despite his presence, there remains a glaring need at that position. The Spurs don't have a true backup at SF -- and it's not looking overly likely that DeRozan is a long-term piece, anyways.

Given LaMarcus Aldridge's age and the unlikeliness of Jakob Poeltl signing as extension this summer, both power forward and center have potential openings -- both in this upcoming season and over the long haul.

In the short-term, as witnessed during the first round series against the Nuggets, the Spurs are missing a physical power forward off the bench. In the long-term, it's wide open at both power forward and center.

Stability As A Weapon

Popovich, Buford and the rest of the front office has no need to worry about their jobs; they'll be around as long as they want to be around. In the NBA, such job security is exceedingly rare.

With that job security in mind, the Spurs should be more willing than other franchises to take chances in the draft. For example, there are a few players in this draft who will miss all of next season due to injury. While most teams don't have the luxury to wait, San Antonio is in a position where they can pick a player even if he's not scheduled to hit the hardwood until the 2020-2021 season.

While there aren't any high level draft-and-stash players in this year's draft, that's another area where the Spurs could use their franchise stability to their advantage if they see the opportunity.

Shooting Needed

While White, Murray and Walker appear to be potential building blocks, all three are questionable three-point shooters. Although their marksmanship will likely improve, it's unlikely White, Murray or Walker become notable snipers.

With the way the league is going, three-point shooting ability is already a major consideration for every team -- but it's even more important for the Spurs if they're looking for a long-term fit next to White, Murray and Walker. The Spurs should think twice before drafting a non-shooter to go along with what already appears to be a shooting-starved cadre of youth.

If Poeltl ends up being a long-term building block as well, this shooting requirement will be even more vital going forward. In today's NBA, it's difficult to put more than one non-three-point threat on the floor. Eventually, as the league is trending, all players are going to be expected to be able to knock down open threes.

Upside More Valuable

During the championship years, finding a role player in the draft was worth his weight in gold. The Spurs didn't need to swing for the fences, as hitting a single or double was supremely valuable to those teams.

Today, things aren't quite as straightforward. Until further notice, the Spurs need to value upside more than has usually been the case. If the Spurs are deciding between similar prospects, superstar potential should be weighed heavily.

This consideration should also make the Spurs more aggressive in terms of moving up the draft. If they think they've located the next overlooked superstar -- as they did with Leonard -- the altered risk-reward ratio should have them taking chances this front office has historically been hesitant to take.

Tomorrow: Big Board unveiling

TD 21
06-17-2019, 10:47 PM
1. Attempt to package a pick(s) and/or young veteran(s) to move up. If as projected Little is available at 13, offer 19, Bertans and Forbes for the pick and Olynyk.

2. Failing that, take the highest upside player available at 19. Don't worry about positional value or overlap because right now no incumbent player should be viewed as an untouchable. Collect talent, increase options and sort it out later.

3. At 29, barring an unexpected fall by a more pedigreed prospect, select Okeke. Checks too many boxes that are difficult to find period let alone in that range and between a higher pick to begin with and with likely 11 rotational locks or considerations already, the possibility of him missing next season shouldn't be a big deal.

4. Prediction: If they haven't already selected a finesse big like Samanic, and Porter doesn't make it to 49, I wouldn't be surprised if they try to maneuver to acquire him.

Kurik
06-17-2019, 11:00 PM
3. At 29, barring an unexpected fall by a more pedigreed prospect, select Okeke. Checks too many boxes that are difficult to find period let alone in that range and between a higher pick to begin with and with likely 11 rotational locks or considerations already, the possibility of him missing next season shouldn't be a big deal.

:tu

Have to agree, Okeke at 29 has much more upside than anyone else in that range.

Chinook
06-17-2019, 11:10 PM
I just don't think you can consider Poeltl a building block. Like he's good to have around and all, but you can't let him stop you from drafting a center just because it'd be unlikely for them to play together. I get that the OP doesn't do that, but I've seen posters here do so. I think a shooting four is a need, but I also think Lonnie will be a good shooter soon, maybe even this year. There's little wrong with his mechanics, and he did pretty well after healing up last season. I think you can play Walker with Murray and especially White and be okay on that end if the front-court guys can do their parts to space the floor.

I think getting a solid role-player is still a need. The Spurs are going to try to win as hard as anyone in the wide-open West. They may not make a sell-out trade to get a third star, but they aren't going to sit on their laurels either. I agree upside is really important, and it's been that way since 2014 when Parker and Manu really started to show their ages. They should draft the best prospect at 19 unless there is a guy available who'd be a strong rotation player right out the gate (like maybe Cam Johnson, PJ Washington or maybe Brandon Clarke). Then they should look at 29 for a guy who can be that 10th man right away. If they do get that high-floor guy at 19, then they should use 29 to lock in Okeke or one of the freshmen who falls. They don't need two extreme projects with Walker and Metu still developing. Getting a guy who can play some NBA minutes will give them the flexibility to move on from Beli, Bertans or Forbes if a trade comes up (like for Bogdanovic).

That said, yeah, the Spurs shouldn't kill themselves to draft for need. This is a great front-court draft, but the result of that is that there will be guards and small wings who fall way farther than they would normally. It's okay to get one, especially if it's someone who's 6-6ish and can play the three in the same vein as DeRozan. The Spurs aren't going to keep all of these guards. Guys are going to wash out or get washed out. Maybe Murray stays, but if he does, Forbes may not, or White may price himself out of the team's plans, or Walker may not develop or may be too injured to make a difference. I'd worry about being too talented at a position when it actually happens.

Also, I think this is shaping up to be a decent free agency for forwards. RHJ isn't a great shooter, but he can play both positions and is a plus defensively. He seems like a guy who can compete with Bertans and hopefully shoot well enough to slide into the starting lineup. If not him, Aminu is also a free agent and may not be back in Portland due to their cap constraints. Oubre may be back in Phoenix, but the Suns seem willing to slough off some of their forward depth, so he may be gone if they can't move anyone. Or hell, maybe they can move someone to the Spurs. There are other possibilities like the Morris twins or trading for Bojan that could also factor in, but the point is that the Spurs will be able to address their front-court problem with the MLE. They don't NEED to draft a guy for that, especially not anyone who's projected to play soon.

ZeusWillJudge
06-17-2019, 11:17 PM
When Kyle Guy declared, I figured him for an early second rounder. But they still have him going in the late second round. If he's still there at 49, I think it's a no-brainer. He could easily be a 6'5", better-defending, better-rebounding Bryn Forbes. He needs to put on some weight/strength, just like Bryn did. But he's one hell of a 3P shooter, right on par with where Bryn was after 3 years of college, and pretty much better than Bryn was at just about everything else.

I know drafting a guard isn't a priority, and I know that nobody is very excited about who they take at 49. But Guy would be a damn good pickup at 49. And since Bryn's contract is up after next season, he could be a great piece to be holding in the wings.

Chinook
06-17-2019, 11:19 PM
1. Attempt to package a pick(s) and/or young veteran(s) to move up. If as projected Little is available at 13, offer 19, Bertans and Forbes for the pick and Olynyk.

2. Failing that, take the highest upside player available at 19. Don't worry about positional value or overlap because right now no incumbent player should be viewed as an untouchable. Collect talent, increase options and sort it out later.

4. Prediction: If they haven't already selected a finesse big like Samanic, and Porter doesn't make it to 49, I wouldn't be surprised if they try to maneuver to acquire him.

A lot of what I said, but in bullet-point form. I do think there's room for someone like Cam Johnson with either pick. The team shouldn't expect to fill in a hole with their draft, but someone like Johnson or Washington could start this upcoming season, and if you can cover them up with a pick of Bazley, Okeke or Claxton in the back, it makes a ton of sense. I'd love for the Spurs to draft a star, and I think there will be a couple who are drafted outside the high-lottery, but even a mid- to high-level starter is a huge win for 19, and I think one of those guys or Clarke can do that.

Chinook
06-17-2019, 11:23 PM
When Kyle Guy declared, I figured him for an early second rounder. But they still have him going in the late second round. If he's still there at 49, I think it's a no-brainer. He could easily be a 6'5", better-defending, better-rebounding Bryn Forbes. He needs to put on some weight/strength, just like Bryn did. But he's one hell of a 3P shooter, right on par with where Bryn was after 3 years of college, and pretty much better than Bryn was at just about everything else.

I know drafting a guard isn't a priority, and I know that nobody is very excited about who they take at 49. But Guy would be a damn good pickup at 49. And since Bryn's contract is up after next season, he could be a great piece to be holding in the wings.

Guard's a sneaky need, especially if it just costs a second-round pick. There's a legit chance the Spurs bring in three rookies regardless of their current roster crunch, and if they move on from Metu, it becomes even more possible. If you lose DeRozan, Forbes or Murray next summer, you don't want to hope you can fill in the gap later. You want someone who's already been in your system to at least compete with whomever you bring in. Maybe Guy can do that? Know nothing about him, and I think it's sort of unfair to assume he'll be nearly as good as Forbes, who had a marketable NBA skill from jumpstreet and has developed a ton over the past three years. But they may not be able to hold onto Bryn even if he is better than Guy.

DPG21920
06-17-2019, 11:24 PM
Again, even before the GS demise happened, I wanted SA to pick a direction. I don’t understand not taking a pick-rich package for Kawhi instead of DeRozan if you aren’t willing to push. Like, with Kawhi they were ready to push and get another All-Star, but now with DeRozan whom you chose you aren’t?

It should be the same; dangle what you need to get an all-star. OR, go the other way and dangle your all star to a team willing to pay.

I don’t understand this sitting in the middle stuff with the decision they made. The could have gotten younger or more picks; they didn’t have to trade for a win now type player.

Dejounte
06-17-2019, 11:26 PM
Not seeing what's so special about Okeke.

Trade assets for moving up: Mills, Forbes, Bertans, Belinelli

We should only move up for: Sekou, DeAndre Hunter

Highest risk, highest reward player: Bol Bol

Best defender prospect to target: Isaiah Roby

X-factor potential: Luka Samanic

If we go by the trend for the past few years of drafting playmaker-first players: Darius Bazley, KZ Okpala

A pick that would remind me of when we drafted Kawhi: Nic Claxton

The "duh" kind of picks of players we knew the Spurs would draft but we were in denial: Thybulle, Grant Williams

Low Ceiling but Has zero chance to bust: PJ Washington

Total bust pick: Rui Hachimura, Nassir Little

palangi
06-17-2019, 11:29 PM
We are in a lot of trouble if we really believe DeRozan is a full time SF

DPG21920
06-17-2019, 11:32 PM
But I agree with all of this. Spurs are some of the best at drafting and player development. It’s not just that risk is needed as you described; its that the chances of succeeding here seem to be greater than most places too.

This is a wild environment in the nba at the moment and will be interesting to see what everyone is doing

ElNono
06-17-2019, 11:33 PM
Just wanna know if we'll win the draft, tbh

TimDunkem
06-17-2019, 11:38 PM
Which prospect has the biggest forehead?

Mugen
06-17-2019, 11:38 PM
Pretty straightforward tbh.

If they like somebody that falls in the 10-14 range, you make a call to those teams and dangle 19 plus whatever it takes out of Beli/Forbes/Bertans to move up.

I could see all those teams valuing picking up a "shooter" on a cheap, short contract while not dropping a ton of spots in a top-heavy, deepish draft.

This is pretty much the only facet of the FO that I still trust so I'm fine with whomever they pick, even more so if they like somebody enough to be aggressive in a trade.

Chinook
06-17-2019, 11:42 PM
Again, even before the GS demise happened, I wanted SA to pick a direction. I don’t understand not taking a pick-rich package for Kawhi instead of DeRozan if you aren’t willing to push. Like, with Kawhi they were ready to push and get another All-Star, but now with DeRozan whom you chose you aren’t?

It should be the same; dangle what you need to get an all-star. OR, go the other way and dangle your all star to a team willing to pay.

I don’t understand this sitting in the middle stuff with the decision they made. The could have gotten younger or more picks; they didn’t have to trade for a win now type player.

I think it's more that they don't think they are close enough to a title with DeRozan and Aldridge to sell out but they still want to push for 50 and give their young guys a chance to develop in a winning environment. Our standards as fans are really high to where we think the Spurs are bad, but the really bad teams like Phoenix and Orlando tend to have a terrible time developing players. You don't have to make guys high-volume players right away to help them grow. Let them come up as role-players learning from stars and have them take over when they're ready. Murray and Walker have a ton they can learn from DeRozan on how to work the mid-range game. They'll need it once their first-option scorers even if their bread and butter comes from other places (Murray at the rim and Walker from deep). Anyone from Claxton to Samanic to Hachimura could learn a lot about post scoring from Aldridge.

Ultimately, it's really hard to build a contender through high picks. Either your supporting cast is too good to let you tank, or by the time you star develops, you aren't able to hold onto the rest of your core. It's much easier to either sign a star in free agency or trade for one once you already have that core established. The Spurs are going this right. They should have a ton of cap space in 2021 and a stable of young talent to use to make their push. Difference is they won't have to be awful for the next two years, which makes it easier on us fans, and they can always change their minds mid-flow and go for it if a star becomes available.

Also, the best pick we know about the Spurs passing up was 10 from Philly. Seeing as they wanted to move up to draft Walker anyway, it doesn't feel like they missed out on anything. Even Boston wasn't hesitating to offer the SAC pick and Brown for Leonard, which in retrospect is the non-deal that killed the King-era Celtics.

Mugen
06-17-2019, 11:42 PM
That said, Sekou has been my guy for a while now. They'll have to trade up to get him but he's my dream pick.

I'd be okay with any of the other SFs and Gogo....I'd probably stop being a Spur fan if they picked fucking Bol Bol or a White American player tbh.....

Immortal Spur
06-17-2019, 11:43 PM
But I agree with all of this. Spurs are some of the best at drafting and player development. It’s not just that risk is needed as you described; its that the chances of succeeding here seem to be greater than most places too.

This is a wild environment in the nba at the moment and will be interesting to see what everyone is doing
definitely should be a sellers market.. that happens rarely that I can recall.

Cardinal
06-18-2019, 12:07 AM
At least one of Doumbouya, Hachimura, or Little (and in all likelihood, all three) will be available in the 10-15 range. I think there is a noticeable drop-off in terms of top level upside to the next tier of forwards after this group. My sense is that the Spurs must be high on at least one of these guys and I hope they're able to move up to nab their guy. It is almost certain that none of them will be available at 19.

spurraider21
06-18-2019, 12:08 AM
i guarantee that whoever the spurs draft will be called the steal of the draft, and a "typical spurs fit"

DPG21920
06-18-2019, 12:24 AM
i guarantee that whoever the spurs draft will be called the steal of the draft, and a "typical spurs fit"

To be fair, based on where they were drafted & what they’ve show Murray & White do look like steals. If Lonnie has a productive year?

Immortal Spur
06-18-2019, 03:02 AM
I really think the picks are gonna be Samanic at 19 and Roby at 29... They are doing there due diligence like they always do but if nothing happens this is what I think they'll do.

4lifecowboy
06-18-2019, 05:13 AM
I really think the picks are gonna be Samanic at 19 and Roby at 29... They are doing there due diligence like they always do but if nothing happens this is what I think they'll do.

I really like Roby, 19 is too high for Samanic. I would prefer Roby and Kabengele. Might still can get Samanic with a second round trade up.

r0drig0lac
06-18-2019, 06:33 AM
We are in a lot of trouble if we really believe DeRozan is a full time SF

I agree, but I think Pop (wrongly) thinks so, too.

Big Empty
06-18-2019, 06:55 AM
Reading Timvps draft profiles, We should trade anyone on the team & all pics for DeAndre Hunter. LA is older and DD isnt our future.

TDMVPDPOY
06-18-2019, 07:20 AM
lma, ddr and fkn scrub mills need to go

start the full rebuild now around the young kids on the team white, walker4, forbes, murray...

cd021
06-18-2019, 08:05 AM

I think number 1 is an overpay; trading Forbes, Bertans, and 19 to move up 6 spots while taking back an extra $13 million for 20-21.

Olynyk and 13 for Beli, Bertans and 29 makes more sense.

Heat save $13 million in 20-21, still get a first, and replace a non rotation player with 2 rotation players this season.

Spurs clear out the wing/forward log jam, allowing Walker to be a rotation player this up coming season. Pick up 13 while keeping 19.

ZeusWillJudge
06-18-2019, 08:06 AM
Know nothing about him, and I think it's sort of unfair to assume he'll be nearly as good as Forbes, who had a marketable NBA skill from jumpstreet and has developed a ton over the past three years.

I didn't know a thing about Forbes until he landed here, so I only have his college numbers and memory of what he was like when he first came to the Spurs.

Guy has a nice stroke (even if Bryn's was as smooth as any I've seen as a rookie). His 3P% in this, his junior year, was almost identical to Forbes' third year. Forbes shot better as a sophomore, but Guy shot a ridiculous .495 from distance as a freshman. I don't know, but I assume defenders weren't paying attention to him as much. The point is, he shows evidence that he could shoot the 3 every bit as effectively as Bryn did when he got here. I saw Guy play several times, even before the NCAA Tournament, where he really played well. My opinion is that he's got better handles than Bryn had when he came to SA. He (Guy) had the fourth best lane agility run at the combine, even though he was further down the list on the sprints. He's definitely got more ability to create his own shot, and I think he's a much more competent distributor than Bryn was. But then again Bryn was going against NBA defenders when I first saw him.

I was wrong when I said he was 6'5". He's 6'2"-6'3" with a wingspan of 6'5", which is almost identical to Forbes. The difference is, I think Guy can legitimately function as a backup PG in a pinch, and won't cough up the ball as much as Bryn. He's not better, or even as good as Forbes is now. But I think he can be as good or better than Bryn was after a first year in Austin.

cd021
06-18-2019, 08:08 AM

Id be fine with that tbh. Both of them will have to improve as shooters but the talent is there

acoelho1
06-18-2019, 08:16 AM
This draft (more than previous ones) is difficult to handicap based on how many players are in the mix. I think this scenario is to the Spurs advantage in that they have a proven track record of being great talent evaluators so it bodes well for us to come out of the draft with 1 or 2 solid rotation players. My hope is that we get added depth in both forwards spots and preferably some toughness and physicality. However, I do agree that we should pick the best talent irrespective of the team needs.

Also, we don't know at this point if the shooting will continue to be an issue next year. What if as I expect Murray to make a significant leap in that area? White will only get better and Walker has a smooth jumper. We will still have Forbes as well (if not traded to move up) so I don't think it will be as much as an issue next year. Nevertheless, DeRozan may be the weak link in that area so I hope he's putting my 1k shots a day from 3.

Lastly, if there is someone that falls to the late lottery (10-14) that the Spurs love, I believe they will be aggressive to move up and wouldn't be surprised if it's Forbes that is traded. Don't forget, Pop traded one of his favorite players in G. Hill so it's not out of the realm of possibility.

duncan2150
06-18-2019, 08:29 AM
i see three scenarios where the spurs can move up ( by taking back some salaries)

Miami : 13 + Olynik or Jonhson for beli + Bertans and 19

Charlotte : 12 + Zeller for Beli + Bertans and 19 ( not sure how charlotte's value zeller and his contract)

Minny : 11+ Dieng for Belli + Bertans + 29 ( maybe the spurs need to add a little bit to match the salaries)

or 11 + Dieng for Mills + Bertans or Beli and 19

We could ad Forbes in some scenarios

ZeusWillJudge
06-18-2019, 08:37 AM

SA didn't have the trade pieces to get even a second All-Star, and it didn't seem like they were going to attract one from the FA market. Have to assume that they thought landing DeRozan would give them a base that would at least give them a chance at landing a third.

They probably should have traded him before the deadline the year before, but that's just one more sign that PATFO really wanted to work things out with him and believed that they could. You can't blame them for wanting to keep him, so all that's left is blaming them for not recognizing that he wouldn't stay. By that time, the Lakers thought they would get him anyway, and pretty much everyone else assumed he was just a rental. Only a team with a legit chance to ring could think they had a chance at keeping him around.

The Lakers were MUCH more desperate this year, after failing to even reach the playoffs with LeBron on the roster, and Kawhi looking more like he might stay in Toronto. Just a weird convergence of events.
I think the Spurs picked the only direction they had available at the time.

RC_Drunkford
06-18-2019, 08:42 AM
Spurs need to make a trade. On draft night preferably because you can move players without getting salary back. Opening up at least about 15 million in cap space would do a lot to improve the team going forward. Players on the table should be Mills, Bertans, Belinelli, Forbes. Poeltl only if you can draft a replacement big like Claxton. DeRozan only for a pick in the top 8 to get Sekou or Hunter.

I could see them moving up for one of Hunter, Sekou, Hachimura, Little

If they don't they should use 19 on the guy with the highest upside and use 29 on a guy with a high floor. I think somebody like Cam Johnson could help the team from the get go. The 2nd round pick should be used on an injured guy who's out for the season. My target is Jontay Porter for that. I wouldn't mind to trade up in the 2nd round either to get somebody like Okeke

NickiRasgo
06-18-2019, 08:51 AM
I want Hunter. :(

exstatic
06-18-2019, 08:55 AM
i see three scenarios where the spurs can move up ( by taking back some salaries)

Miami : 13 + Olynik or Jonhson for beli + Bertans and 19

Charlotte : 12 + Zeller for Beli + Bertans and 19 ( not sure how charlotte's value zeller and his contract)

Minny : 11+ Dieng for Belli + Bertans + 29 ( maybe the spurs need to add a little bit to match the salaries)

or 11 + Dieng for Mills + Bertans or Beli and 19

We could ad Forbes in some scenarios

Taking on two years/$24M of Olynyk's dead money is worth only 29, not 19.

exstatic
06-18-2019, 08:57 AM
Spurs need to make a trade. On draft night preferably because you can move players without getting salary back. Opening up at least about 15 million in cap space would do a lot to improve the team going forward. Players on the table should be Mills, Bertans, Belinelli, Forbes. Poeltl only if you can draft a replacement big like Claxton. DeRozan only for a pick in the top 8 to get Sekou or Hunter.

If they don't they should use 19 on the guy with the highest upside and use 29 on a guy with a high floor. I think somebody like Cam Johnson could help the team from the get go. The 2nd round pick should be used on an injured guy who's out for the season. My target is Jontay Porter for that. I wouldn't mind to trade up in the 2nd round either to get somebody like Okeke

There is no get out of jail free card for salary on draft night. The rules are exactly the same as the other 365 days of the year.

mo7888
06-18-2019, 08:58 AM

I have a gut feeling that Reddish is pretty high on our radar. I'm just not used to the names we hear being associated with the spurs being the player we are really after and Pop has a good relationship with Krzyzewski.

exstatic
06-18-2019, 09:08 AM
I have a gut feeling that Reddish is pretty high on our radar. I'm just not used to the names we hear being associated with the spurs being the player we are really after and Pop has a good relationship with Krzyzewski.

Reddish is going to bust. In fact, I'm not terribly high on either Duke SF, but Barrett has a better shot at being something. I think of the Duke trio, only Zion will break out.

monty4329
06-18-2019, 09:10 AM
Either move massively up for a player you really really like, or just get rid of all three picks for a serviceable Forward. The board is vey weak this year, we don't need more young pieces who'll never make it to the floor, like Metu. In the roster we have already a logjam of projects and 1st-2nd year.

Unless PATFO somehow believe there is another Kawhi at #19, which is very unlikely.

mo7888
06-18-2019, 09:37 AM
Reddish is going to bust. In fact, I'm not terribly high on either Duke SF, but Barrett has a better shot at being something. I think of the Duke trio, only Zion will break out.

I disagree but, .... I'm not basing my opinion on my opinion of Reddish's prospects... it's just a feeling I have based on how the spurs approach a draft keeping things close to the vest and pop's relationships

Chinook
06-18-2019, 09:50 AM
Either move massively up for a player you really really like, or just get rid of all three picks for a serviceable Forward. The board is vey weak this year, we don't need more young pieces who'll never make it to the floor, like Metu. In the roster we have already a logjam of projects and 1st-2nd year.

Unless PATFO somehow believe there is another Kawhi at #19, which is very unlikely.

This board is oozing with talent, almost all at the three, four and five. It's the ideal draft for the Spurs to have two firsts given their roster needs.

RC_Drunkford
06-18-2019, 09:58 AM
There is no get out of jail free card for salary on draft night. The rules are exactly the same as the other 365 days of the year.

you know exactly what I mean

Chinook
06-18-2019, 10:04 AM
you know exactly what I mean

To be fair, I'm not really sure what you mean either. There's no difference between trading now, trading on Thursday or trading next month. Just like the Pelicans "traded" Davis and the Nets Crabbe before draft night, so too could the Spurs "trade" DeRozan or anyone else right now. The only benefit to doing something on Thursday is the potential to know which players will be around during the picks in question.

rjv
06-18-2019, 10:36 AM
not real high on the duke players (outside of zion) either. historically, duke puts a lot of players in the NBA but many of these players also fall way short of expectations (and that even includes the years in which players weren't one and done).

Drom John
06-18-2019, 10:59 AM
Top four Dookies with Spurs WS:

23.3 Gene Banks
07.3 Johnny Dawkins
06.8 Danny Ferry
00.0 Cherokee Parks

TDomination
06-18-2019, 11:34 AM
I'm not too concerned which rout the spurs take. I think we will get solid players either way. But the question will be is if they will just be solid role players or could they potentially become a star. We need that star.

Our recent draft history has been pretty decent considering where we are always picking LATE in Round 1.
2018 - 18th Pick - Lonnie Walker
2017 - 29th Pick - Derrick White (Potential All Star)
2016 - 29th Pick - Dejounte Murray (Potential All Star)
2015 - 26th Pick - Nikola Milutinov (still just 24, if we can get him over here he might amount to something)
2014 - 30th Pick - Kyle Anderson (serviceable role player - got a decent 2nd contract)
2013 - 28th Pick - Livio Jean-Charles (BUST)
2011 - 15th Pick (trade with IND) - Kawhi Leonard (MVP Level)
2011 - 28th Pick - Cory Joseph (good role player)
And we all know Parker was the 28th Pick and Manu was the 55th pick.
So if we stay at 19, i have a feeling we will pick up someone with a lot of potential. If we trade up, hopefully we can get someone that has MVP potential.

TD 21
06-18-2019, 04:14 PM
I think number 1 is an overpay; trading Forbes, Bertans, and 19 to move up 6 spots while taking back an extra $13 million for 20-21.

Olynyk and 13 for Beli, Bertans and 29 makes more sense.

Heat save $13 million in 20-21, still get a first, and replace a non rotation player with 2 rotation players this season.

Spurs clear out the wing/forward log jam, allowing Walker to be a rotation player this up coming season. Pick up 13 while keeping 19.

It's not solely to move up 6 spots. Olynyk is a useful player. As much as the Heat would love to dump salary, I still think they'd view him as an asset at this time.

With the Spurs' affinity for playing big, he's the rare one who could actually play with Aldridge on both sides of the ball. He essentially duplicates post prime Gasol's offensive skillset (dribble, pass, shoot, post vs mismatches) with far more mobility defensively (though far less stationary rim protection and defensive rebounding).

No way the Heat would do 29 in place of 19 and I doubt they'd even do Belinelli in place of Forbes, because they'd go from saving about $2.4M in raw salary (never mind luxury tax payments) to adding roughly $600K (plus however much in luxury tax payments).

Ditty
06-18-2019, 06:24 PM
Spurs have only been aggressive one year out of like the last 20 years. We are not going to do anything besides get the BPA on their board when they pick.

duncan2k5
06-18-2019, 06:26 PM
A tall, athletic SF... top priority... Then a long, versatile PF like Siakam

SpursStar
06-18-2019, 06:42 PM
I wouldn’t mind Darius Bazley as one of the picks, he’s young but has extreme potential. I think the Spurs would do wonders for his development.

MultiTroll
06-18-2019, 07:11 PM
Stability As A Weapon

Popovich, Buford and the rest of the front office has no need to worry about their jobs; they'll be around as long as they want to be around. In the NBA, such job security is exceedingly rare.
So, considerations drafted player must make.

1. Do you like coffee?
2. Are you comfortable around a Wombat, can you submit to leadership?

Dr. John R. Brinkley
06-18-2019, 07:28 PM
So who might be the best players available to fall to 19?

1. Goga
2. Hachimura
3. PJ Washington
4. Nickeil Alexander-Walker
5. Bol Bol

Just throwing out some names.

Hachimura seems the most obvious to pick if available, but has some high bust potential. Of that list, I’d say only Bol is more bust-able.

Gogol, Nickeil and PJ all see to have high floors. I’m cool with any of those three as far as somewhat realistic options to fall. And Nickeil and Goga have some ceiling left. So maybe I’m leaning towards those two as far as who I think they will pick, not who I’m going to pine for.

Anyway, thoughts on other players?

Marcus Bryant
06-18-2019, 08:47 PM
Murray is coming back and might have the opportunity to trade up into lottery with the two first rounders. Also looks like they could sign a decent free agent. With Aldridge and DeRozan contracts pretty much stuck with current group for next two seasons, which would explain rumored Gay deal. Any draft and stash candidates to bring over?

Marcus Bryant
06-18-2019, 09:26 PM
lma, ddr and fkn scrub mills need to go

start the full rebuild now around the young kids on the team white, walker4, forbes, murray...

Inclined to agree but who’s going to take those contracts?