PDA

View Full Version : Spurs signing Thomas -- Boumtje-Boumtje, Perry to camp

KoriEllis
09-28-2004, 03:02 AM
Spurs reach deal with UT star
Web Posted: 09/28/2004 12:00 AM CDT

Johnny Ludden
San Antonio Express-News

www.mysanantonio.com/spor...d50c6.html (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA092804.10C.spurs.c5ed50c6.html)

The Spurs have reached agreement on a two-year contract with James Thomas, making him the first University of Texas player to join the team since Johnny Moore.

Thomas, a 6-foot-8 forward, is expected to sign within the next couple of days. The first season of his minimum-salary deal is partially guaranteed. The second season is at the Spurs' option.

Thomas, 23, was not drafted after playing four seasons at UT. He is the Longhorns' all-time leading rebounder.

The Spurs plan to add at least two more players to their roster before training camp begins Monday: Ruben Boumtje Boumtje, a 7-foot center who played sparingly with Portland for three years before he was traded to Cleveland last season; and Marque Perry, a 6-1 point guard who averaged 15.4 points and 6.7 assists for Roanoke in the NBA's developmental league last season. Perry played for both of the Spurs' summer-league teams in July.

The expected signings would give the Spurs 18 players for the start of camp, depending on the contract status of Angolan guard Valter Monteiro. The Spurs had hoped to sign Monteiro to a non-guaranteed deal, but the NBA and FIBA are investigating whether a foreign team still owns his rights.

The Spurs also still have an open offer to Karl Malone knowing he likely will not be healthy enough to play by the start of the season.

Parker negotiations: The Spurs have held preliminary conversations regarding a contract extension for Tony Parker, but are not in a rush to get a deal done by the Oct. 31 deadline.

Depending on how negotiations proceed, the Spurs may decide to table talks until after the season when Parker will be a restricted free agent. By waiting until the summer, the team would have a chance to see how salary rules are adjusted when the league's collective bargaining agreement is reworked.

Contract values have increased significantly over the past two months, giving the Spurs further reason to pause. Last month, New Jersey forward Richard Jefferson signed a six-year, $76 million extension.

Some officials have speculated the NBA will attempt to shorten the maximum length of contracts. Parker is currently eligible to receive a six-year extension worth up to almost $86 million.

Parker's agent, Marc Fleisher, doubts the players' union would agree to reducing the annual raise a player is eligible to receive — another change that has been discussed — and said the 22-year-old Parker could actually benefit from a shorter contract if he is just entering his prime when it expires.

Though Parker currently is not seeking a maximum-salary contract, he could command as much next summer if he enjoys another productive season. The Spurs would have the option to match any offer Parker receives.

Fleisher said he is further along in negotiations for Utah forward Andrei Kirilenko, another of his clients, but he hopes to continue talks with Spurs officials this week.

"I'm always an optimist until somebody gives me a reason to be a pessimist," Fleisher said. "Right now, I have no reason to be anything but optimistic. But things can always change."

KoriEllis
09-28-2004, 03:04 AM
Depending on how negotiations proceed, the Spurs may decide to table talks until after the season when Parker will be a restricted free agent.

I hope not. I really want them to agree to a number and get him signed now.

KoriEllis
09-28-2004, 03:06 AM
The Spurs had hoped to sign Monteiro to a non-guaranteed deal, but the NBA and FIBA are investigating whether a foreign team still owns his rights.

Pop likes that guy. Hopefully they can work it out.

timvp
09-28-2004, 03:06 AM
James Thomas is a wasted training camp spot. Boumtje-Boumtje isn't as bad, but he's one of the softer players to ever play basketball.

I can live with Boumtje-Boumtje as camp fodder but Thomas will be waived by the first week.

IcemanCometh
09-28-2004, 03:08 AM
thomas is obviously a replacement for malik

T Park Num 9
09-28-2004, 03:11 AM
Who would you rather give the spot to, Benoit Benjamin.

Better yet,

Greg Kite.

timvp
09-28-2004, 03:12 AM
Who would you rather give the spot to, Benoit Benjamin.

Better yet,

Greg Kite.

Yes.

Solid D
09-28-2004, 03:12 AM
Thomas and Boumtje Boumtje are more "Spurs basketball" type guys than Perry 'cause Perry shot 90% from the FT line in the Summer League and that, my friends, is just not Spurs material.

timvp
09-28-2004, 03:13 AM
Perry reminds me of Chris Childs. He has a chance to make it.

KoriEllis
09-28-2004, 03:14 AM
Obviously the Spurs see something in Thomas and want to give him a look. Also I just think people got high on Thomas this summer because he average 7.6 rebounds at RMR. What some failed to notice is that he played on the Portland team that was using Darius Rice (shooting guard) at the 4. Of course Thomas was going to get rebounds.

But I really don't think any of these three will make the squad. Maybe Perry if Beno's hurt more than we know.

ChumpDumper
09-28-2004, 10:32 AM
Thomas seems like a PR signing. I would rather have seem more of Corsley Edwards, but he's in the Magic camp now.

Can't say a lot about Boumtje-Boumtje except that I'm always open to look at a 7-foot athlete who can block a shot or two.

Like the others, I only see Perry making it if anyone -- and he'd have to have one hell of a camp.

Aggie Hoopsfan
09-28-2004, 01:32 PM
James Thomas?

What's the matter, Wang Zhi-Zhi not available?

He'll either have a brief training camp, or be kept on while they hit up the gullible Austin market for some season tickets.

tlongII
09-28-2004, 04:32 PM
I think TimVP has a pretty good read on these two players. Thomas is an undersized PF and Boumtje-Boumtje is a pussy.

RobinsontoDuncan
09-28-2004, 05:50 PM
truth be told Botumie-Btumie is a big, and from what i understand a good athlete, so naturally we would be willing to take a chance on him.

We havent really seen that much of him anyway, so if he could get regular minutes who knows what he could do, not that he would, but we dont have that much front court depth

SequSpur
09-28-2004, 10:53 PM
Pop and RC continue their stupidness.

ducks
09-28-2004, 11:49 PM
damm I wanted the guy who got hurt on the motocycle atleast get a shot in training camp