PDA

View Full Version : Need advice for a computer

Chief
10-30-2005, 08:52 PM
Looking to buy a new computer to turn into a PVR and basically do some simple video editing, and trying to find the best deal I can. I've got it down to 2 different models and not sure which one i should go with. Both comes with a monitor.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=999944400050004&type=product&productCategoryId=cat01173&id=pcmprd44600050004

^ (HP) This one has hypertransport and lightscribe so i can label my burned dvds but comes with 512 of memory which i will upgrade to 1 gig. This computer is in the paper for $539.98 + $40.00 for a memory upgrade - $10 gift card = $569.98

http://www.emachines.com/products/products.html?prod=eMachines_T6524

^ (eMachines) This one doesn't have hypertransport or lightscribe but comes with 1 gig of memory and comes with a printer (that I will sell for around $30). At office depot this computer is $559.97 - $30.00 that i can sell the printer for = $529.97

MannyIsGod
10-30-2005, 09:36 PM
I don't know but I don't think I'd ever buy a computer at a big box electronics store. I think I'd get ripped. Why not get a custom built box? You won't get the software, but you'll probably get a much better computer hardwarewise for a cheaper price.

Vashner
10-30-2005, 10:13 PM
Hum AMD machnine? I Guess they are good for the money. Im an intel man myself. I am kinda wary of HP machines...

Nbadan
10-31-2005, 03:26 AM
Yeah, I wouldn't buy a HP or Emachine. The mother-boards are impossible to upgrade and the stock video cards suck big time. Go with a home-built machine with a up-to-date mother-board and a nice ATI or G-Force video card for your video editing needs. Also get a SATA hard-drive. They are a little more expensive than comparable sized IEE drives, but the extra speed will make up for it big-time. Good DVD burners are inexpensive.

Slomo
10-31-2005, 05:19 AM
A custom built system will probably work out better. There are some nice systems out there for what you need but they are usually at the top price levels.

For video editing I recomend staying with Intel based processors, I really do not know why but people doing video editing have more issues with AMD processors.

Nvidia cards are usually better recognized by video software/hardware for helping with the rendering - so that's something you should check out before making a decision.

Stay away from SATA if you plan to use your disks separately. SATA at this point makes sense only when used with inexpensive RAID controllers (Promise, Intel...). There seems to be a lot of unresolved compatibility issues with SATA disks and controllers and unless you want the added performance of a disk RAID it's not worth the hassle. For DV type editing (25Mbps) a 7200 rpm P-ATA EIDE disk is capable enough and more reliable that SATA.

What video software/hardware are you planning to use?

And what's your budget?

duncan_21
10-31-2005, 10:55 AM
Personally I would get a dvr from the cable/satellite company that you can rent. If something happens you just have to tell the cable/satellite and they replace it. Then I would get a panasonic dvd standalone burner with an 80 gb hdd $300 at my local wal mart.

Check out this link: LINK (http://www.komando.com/kolumns_show.asp?showID=9237)

That is if you already have a pc with a dvd burner. Then you could hook up your existing pc to your tv.

I haven't read enough on prebuilt pvr (essentially home theater pc's). I would look at cnet.com for prebuilt (hp, compaq, dell, gateway) reviews. One thing to consider is how much noise the pc will make, that among other reasons would a reason to build your own.

Also check out www.avsforum.com. You will get much better answers there then you get in this forum. Also http://www.htpcnews.com/ is a great site to go to.

Check out www.gotapex.com for great deals on dell. I was in the same predicament as you and just figured it was cheaper and easier to go the route I first recommended. Of course I have a nice pc that I can edit from a dvd burned from a standalone dvd burner.

Some questions:

1. You said you wanted a pvr, does that mean you want to play movies that you've recorded to your tv?

2. If you want to play movies on your pvr are you going to want dolby digital, dts sound?

3. Are you going to use this to watch live tv AND record another show?

4. How much money do you want to spend?

5. What type of tv and what type of inputs does it have?

I can advise that a pentium 4 2.8ghz would be the best cost effective processor. At least 512mb RAM, 1gb would be preferable.

Useruser666
10-31-2005, 11:17 AM
You need a custom built to get a good quality PC PVR, but if you tweak those cheap pieces of junk they should be "OK" for that.

Common MYTH: A home built machine is cheaper than a low end white box PC.

duncan_21
10-31-2005, 11:19 AM
Common MYTH: A home built machine is cheaper than a low end white box PC.

Agreed, about a year ago I used to live by these rules:

less than $1000 get a prebuilt
greater then $1400 build your own

Anywhere in between it's a wash. I don't know now, I haven't priced a pc in a year.

Nbadan
10-31-2005, 01:11 PM
Agreed, about a year ago I used to live by these rules:

less than $1000 get a prebuilt
greater then $1400 build your own

Anywhere in between it's a wash. I don't know now, I haven't priced a pc in a year.

That's not neccessarily true. I've worked on dozen of these prebuilt models and there are always upgrade issues because they leave little room for improvement. If you get a home-builder who knows what he is doing, a AMD 64 bit system with the new 64-bit Windows Vista would be the Ideal model and will handle any incompatability issues with a SATA drive, or even multiple drives, aforementioned.

NVida Video cards are decent, but why not buy a inexpensive GForce or ATI card which are made for video editing on E-bay?

I can hook you up.

JoeChalupa
10-31-2005, 01:37 PM
My next PC will be "Mouse made".

duncan_21
10-31-2005, 08:34 PM
That's not neccessarily true. I've worked on dozen of these prebuilt models and there are always upgrade issues because they leave little room for improvement. If you get a home-builder who knows what he is doing, a AMD 64 bit system with the new 64-bit Windows Vista would be the Ideal model and will handle any incompatability issues with a SATA drive, or even multiple drives, aforementioned.

NVida Video cards are decent, but why not buy a inexpensive GForce or ATI card which are made for video editing on E-bay?
I can hook you up.

Wow, you all ready expect windows vista to work perfectly right out of the gate? After doing some reading up I think the best bet is just to rent one from the cable company.

For a pc being used as a pvr sata drives, windows vista, and amd 64 bit cpus are either overkill or not what's needed. Windows media edition, a 2.8 p4, a gb of ram, 200gb ide hdd, dvd r/rw driv, a nice capture card, and vid card are all that is needed.

Don't get me started on the drm of vista, personally if I was building/buying a pc as a pvr I would stay away from vista.

Nbadan
11-01-2005, 01:22 AM
Wow, you all ready expect windows vista to work perfectly right out of the gate? After doing some reading up I think the best bet is just to rent one from the cable company.

For a pc being used as a pvr sata drives, windows vista, and amd 64 bit cpus are either overkill or not what's needed. Windows media edition, a 2.8 p4, a gb of ram, 200gb ide hdd, dvd r/rw driv, a nice capture card, and vid card are all that is needed.

Don't get me started on the drm of vista, personally if I was building/buying a pc as a pvr I would stay away from vista.

Your probably right, but both machines are miles better than he's gonna get in a package deal from either HP or E-machines, and for about $500, minus software. The 64-bit AMD is more cost effective though, even if he stays with WinXP or Media Center.

Aggie Hoopsfan
11-01-2005, 02:42 AM
This one has hypertransport and lightscribe

HT = marketing gimmick #1

lightscribe = marketing gimmick #2 (and a really sucky one at that)

duncan_21
11-01-2005, 08:48 AM
Your probably right, but both machines are miles better than he's gonna get in a package deal from either HP or E-machines, and for about $500, minus software. The 64-bit AMD is more cost effective though, even if he stays with WinXP or Media Center.

I doubt you're gonna get an OS, 64bit amd, case, and everything else for $500. In all reality he doesn't need the best machine for a pvr. Essentially a pvr records and plays tv. I got a dvr (same as pvr) from mediacom for about $10 per month. Plus I don't have to worry about updating or having problems connecting to my tv and receiver.

ObiwanGinobili
11-01-2005, 09:01 AM
my computers are always made by my brother with the help of scavanged parts and tiger direct.
except this last one that I have right now...I got it from some high school kid here in town.. and wouldn't you know the video card knonked out in 3 weeks and the cpu fan died in 6 months?? thankgod for warrenties.

Suns Fan
11-01-2005, 12:11 PM
I use a 150.00 dollar 533 e machine from the pawn shop, with Xp and adobe 8.0, and I have never had any problems. go build your 2,000.00 dollar monster CP , and come back here later and let me kick your ass all over thew www :smokin

TDMVPDPOY
11-01-2005, 12:34 PM
just fuk it :D

Nbadan
11-01-2005, 01:11 PM
I doubt you're gonna get an OS, 64bit amd, case, and everything else for $500. In all reality he doesn't need the best machine for a pvr. Essentially a pvr records and plays tv. I got a dvr (same as pvr) from mediacom for about $10 per month. Plus I don't have to worry about updating or having problems connecting to my tv and receiver.

True, but for a few bucks more he can use it to surf the web, watch The Cowboys on PNP at the same time, and have a nice resolution for that $2000 LCD monitor, along with at least, 6.1 surround sound, and full DVD capabilities.

If you looked around the web, the parts would cost around $500 (new) and another $100 for labor, minus software.

Sportcamper
11-01-2005, 01:14 PM
http://www.enron.com/corp/investors/annuals/annual98/_images/indian_workers.jpg
You can’t beat Dell’s technical Support...

Pistons < Spurs
11-01-2005, 01:16 PM
http://www.ibuypower.com/ibp/store/configurator.aspx?mid=75

IMO places like this are better than buying a box from Best Buy or other such place. At least you have options in configuration.

Nbadan
11-01-2005, 01:23 PM
http://www.ibuypower.com/ibp/store/configurator.aspx?mid=75

IMO places like this are better than buying a box from Best Buy or other such place. At least you have options in configuration.

That's not a bad rig for gamers, but it comes with stock SC, where's the Audigy?

Decent PCI Express video card though.