PDA

View Full Version : Big Board: Top 50 2019 NBA Draft Prospects for the Spurs

timvp
06-18-2019, 07:46 PM
1. Zion Williamson

By far the best player in the draft. Untouchable.

2. RJ Barrett
3. DeAndre Hunter

Rumors have surfaced of the Spurs perhaps trading into the top 10 -- possibly as high as No. 4. If San Antonio is able to get into that range, these are the two players who make the most sense. Barrett has star potential and he's a long-term fit next to the other young building blocks on the roster. Hunter doesn't have as high of a ceiling as Barrett, however he should be a really good starter at small forward on Day 1.

4. Ja Morant
5. Jarrett Culver

For most teams, Morant would be even higher. But for the Spurs, he's not someone who is a long-term fit next to Derrick White and Dejounte Murray; San Antonio would have to basically tear everything down and build around Morant if they were to get him. Culver is similar in that while he's a very good player, the Spurs would need to retool everything to make it work.

6. Sekou Doumbouya
7. Cam Reddish
8. Nassir Little
9. Rui Hachimura
10. Romeo Langford

These five players are all strong fits, have high ceilings and attaining any one of them is within the realm of possibilities (Hachimura or Langford could even drop to 19).

While Doumbouya got kicked out of the same basketball factory that produced Tony Parker and Boris Diaw, if his character checks out, his height (6-foot-9), age (18), fluid athleticism and perimeter skills make him very appealing. As it stands, he's already a good three-point shooter and is one of the few players in the draft who's ceiling would be nearing superstar status.

Reddish is oozing with potential as a long, smooth SF who might one day be an elite shooter. He had a tough freshman season at Duke but the Spurs could potentially trade up and grab him if he begins to slip.

Little has a chance to become a bulldog defender on the wing with possible upside as a scorer. Like Riddish, Little didn't have a good freshman year at North Carolina. However, he has rare two-way upside that is very valuable in today's NBA if he pans out.

Hachimura's ceiling is a potent forward scorer who is too quick for bigs and too powerful for smalls. While many scouts are low on him due to basketball IQ reasons, San Antonio could provide him with time and space to grow and learn the game. And, really, even if he never fully develops, the Spurs would still have use for a bench scoring forward.

Langford is the worst fit of this group but if he adds enough strength, he could become a full-time small forward. As it is, he is already strong and his frame (6-foot-6 with a 6-foot-11 wingspan) and broad shoulders are already that of a wing. Langford was highly regarded in high school but he's yet another prospect who struggled as a freshman. If he falls in the draft, his abilities to finish at the basket and get to the free throw line would be tempting at 19.

11. Darius Garland
12. Coby White

Garland and White are quality players who should both go in the top six or seven picks. They're lower on this Big Board because they simply aren't fits for the Spurs.

13. Goga Bitadze
14. Jaxson Hayes

Up until this season, prospects comparable to Bitadze and Hayes would be locks for the lottery. But now with NBA teams not valuing centers like they used to, it's conceivable that Bitadze or Hayes could drop to 19. If that happens, the Spurs could get very good value by selecting either player. They both fit reasonably well in the short-term and both could be pieces San Antonio could build around as the years go by ... as long as the center position doesn't go extinct.

15. Bol Bol
16. Kevin Porter Jr.
17. Nic Claxton
18. Luka Samanic
19. Darius Bazley

The 2019 draft is filled to the brim with boom or bust candidates. These are the five that the Spurs would need to decide on at this point of the draft. While they all have really low floors, their ceilings are exciting and the fits would be seamless.

The two questions for Bol: does he care and is he healthy? If the Spurs believe both answers are positive, his ceiling is sky high. He's a fluid 7-foot-2 big with perimeter skills, an amazingly accurate jumper and a good feel for the game. Bol's a risk but there aren't three players in the draft with a higher ceiling.

Porter comes from a challenging background, had character issues during his freshman season at USC and he's not the greatest fit as an isolation shooting guard. That said, his talent is immense and, perhaps more importantly, rare. If the Spurs think Murray (same high school) and DeRozan (same college) could be good influences, Porter could be worth a roll of the dice.

Claxton is a mobile big who has a chance to be the most switchable center in the NBA on defense. He also has upside on offense as a ballhandler, passer, shooter and shot creator. However, he needs a year or two in the weight room to withstand the rigors of the league -- and everything about him is still mostly theoretical.

Samanic is an athletic power forward with a smooth looking jumper. If you watch him in a workout, you can see glimpses of Dirk Nowitzki. But when you watch him play, you see glimpses of a poor man's Andrea Bargnani. If the Spurs believe in his tools, they may bet big on his development.

Bazley is virtual unknown. He played against low level competition in high school and then bounced around before sitting out all of last season. Another workout warrior, you can convince yourself that he's a legit point power forward in the mold of Ben Simmons -- but with a jumper. His floor, though, is that of a player who isn't good enough for the G-League. Do the Spurs believe in him? We'll soon find out.

20. Nickeil Alexander-Walker
21. Brandon Clarke

I don't particularly dislike either Alexander-Walker or Clarke but I just don't see the fit. Alexander-Walker is an athleticism-challenged combo guard whose upside might not be higher than the downsides for either White or Murray.

Clarke was historically productive in his season at Gonzaga but how exactly does he fit in San Antonio? Right now, he's a center who is the size of Danny Green and Klay Thompson. He can't shoot, he can't dribble and he's not much of a passer. Clarke is ready for minutes on Day 1 because he's a very good defender and interior scorer but there aren't many lineups he'd thrive in for the Spurs.

22. PJ Washington
23. Keldon Johnson
24. Cameron Johnson

These are three high floor, low ceiling prospects. They'd be relatively boring picks ... but since when do the Spurs shy away from boredom?

Washington is a perimeter power forward with enough length to score in the paint. I see him being able to help the team as a rookie if the Spurs draft him.

Of the two Johnsons, Keldon has a bit of a higher ceiling as a strong wing who can defend a bit and shoot a bit. He plays hard, even if he's not an extreme talent. Cameron, on the other hand, is the best shooter in the draft. He's tall, has effortless three-point range and impressive footwork. Everything else about him, however, is iffy. It's questionable whether he can play D in the NBA -- he might be Steve Novak reincarnate.

25. Chuma Okeke
26. Isaiah Roby
27. Grant Williams
28. Jontay Porter
29. Bruno Fernando

This fivesome is intriguing. If the Spurs fall in love with any of these five, they are draftable at 29.

Okeke looked to be a first rounder until his ACL snapped in the NCAA tournament. He'd miss next season but when he comes back, he's a great fit. Okeke is an all-around forward who can do a bit of everything. His only weakness is probably the lack of high level athleticism.

Roby is pretty much the opposite. He has high level athleticism with enviable measurables ... but he needs to learn how to play the game. He underwhelmed at Nebraska despite the physical tools at his disposal. But if he figures out how to play, he could be a good one.

Williams is near genius level on and off the court. He's also impressively strong. Unfortunately for him, his fit in the NBA is questionable -- even in today's tweener friendly league. He doesn't appear to be big enough to play on the inside or mobile enough to play on the outside. That said, he might be able to carve out a niche with his smarts.

Porter has torn his ACL twice in the last year and will miss all of next season. Injuries are a major concern, especially when factoring in his family history, but his talent is immense. He's a super smart stretch center with guard instincts and a smooth stroke. If he gets healthy, he could be a steal. He'd be a little bit of a reach at 29 but a great gamble at 49 if the Spurs believe there's a decent shot that he can get healthy.

Fernando is a quickly improving center with burgeoning perimeter skills. He's a very good athlete with NBA length. Every other season before this season, he'd be a first round pick. But the NBA has soured on centers for the time being so he could slip through the cracks.

30. Matisse Thybulle
31. Tyler Herro
32. Mfiondu Kabengele
33. Ty Jerome

These four players should be off the board at this point in the draft. While skilled, the fit in San Antonio would be questionable at best.

If the Spurs wanted a Thybulle type player, they would have just kept Danny Green. Herro's most realistic outcome is somewhere in the neighborhood of a Bryn Forbes clone. Kabengele is a monstrous, talented big but he doesn't pass the ball at all, doesn't play with much smarts at all and has injury concerns. That doesn't sound like Spurs material. Jerome is a safe pick but even if he pans out, it'd be difficult to ever justify playing him over White, Murray, Walker and maybe even Forbes.

34. DaQuan Jeffries
35. Talen Horton-Tucker
36. Eric Paschall
37. KZ Okpala
38. Dylan Windler
38. Louis King
40. Charles Matthews

Jeffries needs work but he's smart, extremely athletic and is a fit as a wing. Horton-Tucker is a 6-foot-4 enigma with arms for days who has enough upside potential to justify drafting anywhere after pick 22 or so. Paschall would be ready right away as a power wing but his ceiling is a ninth or tenth player in a rotation.

Okpala is a smart guy with prototypical long wing measurements but there's little proof he's actually capable of playing basketball. Windler dominated at a low level but will most likely struggle against NBA athletes. King has size and can shoot ... but that's about the extent of it. Matthews is a great one-on-one defender but he too tore an ACL and would be out all of next season. When he comes back, not being a negative on offense would be challenge.

41. Luguentz Dort
42. Terence Davis
43. Daniel Gafford
44. Admiral Schofield

Dort and Davis are hard-charging shooting guards with defensive potential but questionable natural instincts. Gafford is a traditional center who can run and jump ... but that's about it. Schofield is a beast who could play a role early on but doesn't have much untapped potential at all.

45. Jalen Lecque
46. Naz Reid

These are two fascinating prospects. Lecque can jump out of the gym and is unknown enough to make a front office fantasize about his potential. Reid is a hefty bigman with enough perimeter skills to be a poor man's Brook Lopez down the line.

47. Deividas Sirvydis
48. Yovel Zoosman
49. Joshua Obiesie
50. Marcos Louzada Silva

It's unlikely that the Spurs will want three rookies on next season's roster. If that's indeed the case, pick 49 could be a good ol' fashioned draft-and-stash. These four players should drop into the second round and could become something in two, three or four years.

An alternative to going the draft-and-stash route would entail finding a player willing to sign a two-way contract or even sign directly with the Austin Spurs. Names to watch for in this scenario would be Charles Matthews, Terence Davis, Cody Martin, Zylan Cheatham, Justin Wright-Foreman, Jaylen Nowell, Terance Mann and Kyle Guy.

Dejounte
06-18-2019, 07:48 PM
First

r0drig0lac
06-18-2019, 07:50 PM
https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/bobo.gif

"Bazley is virtual unknown. He played against low level competition in high school and then bounced around before sitting out all of last season. "

Giannis lite ...would be ideal with the pick 29

Dejounte
06-18-2019, 07:55 PM
On a serious note... I wish you were more bold with your draft order. Its just like any other mock draft out there. Its funny because most mock drafts just get it wrong, like way wrong about prospects that if you ordered last year's draft or any year before it compared to the order based off on how good the player became--it would look vastly different.

Immortal Spur
06-18-2019, 07:57 PM
Great read. Will keep this page as reference for draft night.

timtonymanu
06-18-2019, 07:58 PM
Good stuff, LJ. :tu

Even if we don't trade up, I'm still very excited about this draft.

Patt
06-18-2019, 08:08 PM
It depends whos on the board but I would take Okeke at 19. At 29 i would take samanic or bazley at 29 if available

barakz21
06-18-2019, 08:13 PM
Thanks timvp, been waiting for this the whole day!

Twisted_Dawg
06-18-2019, 08:14 PM
The Hawks have 5, 8 and 17. If a player we like is available at 17, what would it take to move up 2 spots?
No.19 plus _______? I just don't want us sitting back waiting for that player at 19, only to be Goberted again by the team at 18.

perk
06-18-2019, 08:24 PM
Appreciate the effort put into this. We see eye to eye on most of these. My biggest gripes are probably Bol Bol being way too high at 15 and I think Windler is becoming a bit underrated. Windler may not be as good of a shooter as Cam Johnson, but he’s close and I like the rest of his game much better (and he he has some sneaky athleticism).

ZeusWillJudge
06-18-2019, 08:26 PM
I like what you did with your board, making it Spurs-specific. I know a lot of people talk about BPA, but you can't totally disregard team makeup. If the team wouldn't hire a free agent that was a bad fit, there's no reason they should draft a bad fit - unless it was such an exceptional talent that they could build around him, or use him in a trade.

I also like it that you have guys like P.J. Washington, Keldon and Cameron Johnson higher than guys like Okpala, Kabengele, and Herro. For the Spurs, that just makes a lot of sense.

I do wonder if Morant, or even Culver would have a high enough ceiling to go ahead and rebuild around one of them. It would mean cutting ties with DeRozan and one of White or Murray. I think both NOP and ATL could absorb DeRozan's salary, which would clear up space. And either White or Murray have value in a trade. NOP is going to be so draft pick rich, they could actually use a proven vet scorer like DeRozan on the roster.
I'm not advocating it, but if the Spurs really did trade up, seems about as likely as any.

Lots of thought and effort into this board. Thanks for doing it.

emanueldavidginobili
06-18-2019, 08:32 PM
NBA TV Mock draft just selected Bruno Fernando at 19 to the Spurs

Degoat
06-18-2019, 08:35 PM
Nbatv had a mock draft special this evening and they had the spurs selecting Bruno Fernando :wakeup not my ideal choice but they mentioned how some RC I think has some kind of connection with the Maryland coach so they would have the appropriate amount of into on him

MoSpur02
06-18-2019, 08:36 PM
If Bol Bol is there the Spurs better strongly consider taking him. Only other player I'd prefer is Rui

Marcus Bryant
06-18-2019, 08:37 PM
:tu

Blow it up.

CGD
06-18-2019, 08:43 PM
Very nice, thx

Mugen
06-18-2019, 08:46 PM
Thanks, good write-up.

I wonder what it's going to take to get Washington's 9th pick where you get into the Sekou, Little, Reddish, Rui territory...

Forbes/Bertans/19th/29th and I'd do it but still not enough for the Wiz IMO...

Most likely scenario is they stay at 19 and pick somebody crappy like Herro, Jerome, etc.....I usually give them the benefit of the doubt on these picks but that would be unforgivable tbh...

picnroll
06-18-2019, 08:54 PM
Does Sekou have the potential to bitch slap kwitter in a couple of years?

3&D_TBH
06-18-2019, 09:01 PM
They say he could have one of the highest ceilings in the draft.

Dverde
06-18-2019, 09:02 PM
NBA TV Mock draft just selected Bruno Fernando at 19 to the Spurs

No way, he’s too edgy and vocal for PATFO. Maybe at 29 if he is still there.

Dverde
06-18-2019, 09:05 PM
Nbatv had a mock draft special this evening and they had the spurs selecting Bruno Fernando :wakeup not my ideal choice but they mentioned how some RC I think has some kind of connection with the Maryland coach so they would have the appropriate amount of into on him

The Maryland coach (Turgeon) and RC are both Kansas University alums. Not sure if they played together. I don’t think RC has ever drafted a KU player and passes them up all the times. Last KU alum I remember on the team was Drew Gooden.

Marcus Bryant
06-18-2019, 09:05 PM
Spurs need vintage drunk RC circa 1999-2003 in this draft.

Dr. John R. Brinkley
06-18-2019, 09:15 PM
Thanks for the list.

DPG21920
06-18-2019, 09:21 PM
Man / I disagree with some of this. But the most egregious one imo is not having Clarke at least in the Goga/Hayes tier. I know his fit is tough but if he develops his potential is every bit as high as most. He’s too accomplished in college and way to athletic to have him so low. He’s got tremendous upside even if it’s a somewhat long shot he gets there.

I also disagree with Hayes/Goga being behind guys like Rui/Little. I would be very happy with Rui/Little at 19 but Hayes/Goga have similar upside (especially Hayes) and lesser question marks. I get C is not a glam position anymore and fit is a concern but they are too solid of prospects with pretty high floors too.

Rest of it overall I’m good with :tu

Uriel
06-18-2019, 09:31 PM
Bol's a risk but there aren't three players in the draft with a higher ceiling.
So if Zion Williamson is one of the two players with a higher ceiling than Bol, who's the other? Barrett? Or Doumbouya?

Spurs fever
06-18-2019, 09:42 PM
Are there really rumors of the Spurs moving up? I've only heard on Spurs talk.

Dejounte
06-18-2019, 09:45 PM
Are there really rumors of the Spurs moving up? I've only heard on Spurs talk.

Only speculation stemmed from working out Sekou

timvp
06-18-2019, 09:52 PM
Man / I disagree with some of this. But the most egregious one imo is not having Clarke at least in the Goga/Hayes tier. I know his fit is tough but if he develops his potential is every bit as high as most. He’s too accomplished in college and way to athletic to have him so low. He’s got tremendous upside even if it’s a somewhat long shot he gets there.

In my first couple drafts, I had Clarke even lower. Like 25-28. He's someone I want to like because the analytics say he's going to be a monster. But then I watch him and my imagination struggles to picture him living up to the hype. The dude's a center who is smaller and lighter than Danny Green. I mean, the NBA is getting smaller but a shooting guard sized center? I don't know, man.

I know there's talk that Clarke could possibly get a jumper and then transition to small forward. While that could theoretically happen, I then think back to how he shot not that long ago and it seems really far-fetched.

:lmao We're supposed to believe he's going to go from worse form than most middle school girls (literally) to capable three-point shooter in the NBA? It's possible, I guess, but it's hard for me to believe.

He's a really good athlete, an underrated finisher in the paint and seems to be a high character person. But internet scouts don't want to admit that there's a real possibility that he'll be too small to defend NBA bigs, too uncoordinated to defend NBA smalls and a liability on offense who will need four shooters around him to excel.

There are spots in the NBA where I think Clarke makes sense (for example, next to KAT in Minnesota) but in San Antonio, he'd be a Bol Bol sized gamble without the huge upside.

I also disagree with Hayes/Goga being behind guys like Rui/Little. I would be very happy with Rui/Little at 19 but Hayes/Goga have similar upside (especially Hayes) and lesser question marks. I get C is not a glam position anymore and fit is a concern but they are too solid of prospects with pretty high floors too. Understandable, tbh.

I just think centers are easier to find than wings. You hit on a good wing and that's a franchise altering event. You hit on a center in today's NBA and you probably still have a player who could be forced off the court in certain situations.

acoelho1
06-18-2019, 09:52 PM
Drafting Okeke 29 resolves having too many rookies next year. I think he can be a really solid player in the mold of Al Horford.

timvp
06-18-2019, 09:57 PM
So if Zion Williamson is one of the two players with a higher ceiling than Bol, who's the other? Barrett? Or Doumbouya?Morant.

Bol's ceiling is basically an unguardable shooter in the same vein as Durant. He probably has a 0.01% chance of making it to his ceiling (and a 60-70% chance of busting) but 7-foot-2 guys who are lifetime 45% three-point shooters at high volume don't come around too often...

Drafting Okeke 29 resolves having too many rookies next year. I think he can be a really solid player in the mold of Al Horford.

Best comp I've heard is probably less mobile but smarter Covington.

DPG21920
06-18-2019, 10:05 PM
Morant.

Bol's ceiling is basically an unguardable shooter in the same vein as Durant. He probably has a 0.01% chance of making it to his ceiling (and a 60-70% chance of busting) but 7-foot-2 guys who are lifetime 45% three-point shooters at high volume don't come around too often...

Best comp I've heard is probably less mobile but smarter Covington.

I would love Okeke at 29. He’s a gamer and I hope he doesn’t lose athletic ability after his knee

Patt
06-18-2019, 10:08 PM
Im not risking losing okeke by seeing if he is available at 29....take him at 19

look_at_g_shred
06-18-2019, 10:10 PM
I would love Okeke at 29. He’s a gamer and I hope he doesn’t lose athletic ability after his knee
AcL’s aren’t too bad these days, it’s the Achilles that’s a game changer. Plus he’s young.

timvp
06-18-2019, 10:14 PM
The risk with Okeke is he was borderline quick enough to defend out on the perimeter before tearing his ACL. Post ACL, he might be a full-time big unless he regains 100% of his quickness. If he's a full-time big, his value plummets.

Dejounte
06-18-2019, 10:17 PM
Quick shot at making a Spurs big board:

1. Zion
2. Culver
3. Hunter
4. Sekou
5. Claxton
6. Barrett
7. Morant
8. Bol Bol
9. Bazley
10. Samanic
11. Roby
12. Porter Jr
13. PJ Washington
14. Grant Williams
15. Thybulle
16. Rui
17. Clarke
18. Keldon Johnson
19. Cameron Johnson
20. Jontay Porter
21. Okeke
22. THT
23. Okpala
24. Little

look_at_g_shred
06-18-2019, 10:20 PM
The risk with Okeke is he was borderline quick enough to defend out on the perimeter before tearing his ACL. Post ACL, he might be a full-time big unless he regains 100% of his quickness. If he's a full-time big, his value plummets.
Definitely worth the risk. With having 2 1sts, you can take that chance. Okeke should be the plan for 29 unless someone unexpected falls (porter jr/KZ/Claxton/bol) I think I’m off the samanic train.

DPG21920
06-18-2019, 10:20 PM
Look I 100% know Clarke has risks and he’s awkward as hell. But I’m betting on him being really good and having a high floor with a high ceiling. I think he’s smart enough and productive enough that he can change games and figure out a way to be at a minimum a profitable role player.

So f*ck you!! :lol

Marcus Bryant
06-18-2019, 10:22 PM
Clarke sounds like high energy guy who lasts maybe 2 seasons in the league before heading to Istanbul.

John B
06-18-2019, 10:23 PM
Thanks for the write up

timvp
06-18-2019, 10:28 PM
On a serious note... I wish you were more bold with your draft order. Its just like any other mock draft out there. Its funny because most mock drafts just get it wrong, like way wrong about prospects that if you ordered last year's draft or any year before it compared to the order based off on how good the player became--it would look vastly different.

Quick shot at making a Spurs big board:

1. Zion
2. Morant
3. Culver
4. Hunter
5. Sekou
6. Claxton
7. Barrett
8. Bol Bol
9. Bazley
10. Samanic
11. PJ Washington
12. Porter Jr
13. Roby
14. Grant Williams
15. Thybulle
16. Rui
17. Clarke
18. Keldon Johnson
19. Cameron Johnson
20. Jontay Porter
21. Okeke
22. THT
23. Okpala

https://media.giphy.com/media/l0HlvtIPzPdt2usKs/giphy.gif

Dejounte
06-18-2019, 10:36 PM
https://media.giphy.com/media/l0HlvtIPzPdt2usKs/giphy.gif

Lmao what? I just dont see the need for point guards near the top of a Spurs big board. It would make sense for a general talent big booard. Not a Spurs one. Bet my big board will reflect best players in 2-3 years than yours? Thats what big boards are for. To predict success. Actually my big board caters more to who i think the Spurs will value more for building their team. But it would be close to what it would look like if i was trying to gauge these prospects' NBA careers for all players.

P.S. i shuffled the order a little bit more after thinking about it some more.

Dejounte
06-18-2019, 10:44 PM
Did Derrick Williams deserve to be #2 in his draft? If we look back and projected him as a 2nd rounder, people who did mocks back then would look at you as crazy. But we look at his career now, and we know he should have been. Not sure why people dont try to be bold with their big board.

BackHome
06-18-2019, 11:05 PM
Nice info pretty much spot on.

Thomas82
06-18-2019, 11:06 PM
The Hawks have 5, 8 and 17. If a player we like is available at 17, what would it take to move up 2 spots?
No.19 plus _______? I just don't want us sitting back waiting for that player at 19, only to be Goberted again by the team at 18.

Man, I feel the same way. I was HOT when we got cock-blocked for Rudy G!!

Thomas82
06-18-2019, 11:08 PM
If Bol Bol is there the Spurs better strongly consider taking him. Only other player I'd prefer is Rui

I want Bol Bol or Nic Claxton at 19 if either is available.

Gordy58
06-18-2019, 11:32 PM
2019 NBA Draft Spurs Big Board

Zion
Ja Morant
R.J. Barrett
Jarret Culver
Darius Garland
DeAndre Hunter
Sekou Doumbouya
Coby White
Cam Reddish
Bol Bol
Kevin Porter Jr
Goga Bitadze
P.J. Washington
Nassir Little
Darius Bazely
Luka Samanic
Isaiah Roby
Chuma Okeke
Rui Hachimura
Nic Claxton
Romeo Langford
Cameron Johnson
Mfiondu Kabengele
Keldon Johnson
Matisse Thybulle
Brandon Clarke
KZ Okpala
Nickeil-Alexander-Walker
Grant Williams
Tyler Herro

Gordy58
06-18-2019, 11:33 PM
Just my little crack at a big board

Degoat
06-18-2019, 11:41 PM
Wishlist- Sekou, Rui, or Nassir

expectation (19th)- Goga, Kevin Porter, or Keldon
(29th)- Roby, Samanic, or Chuma

Maybe wrong but I anticipate the draft going similar to that, but can’t wait for Thursday! Regardless of who we get it’ll be nice to add some talent to the team

DPG21920
06-19-2019, 12:06 AM

R. DeMurre
06-19-2019, 12:17 AM
Have to admit, I'm a little skeptical about some of Zion's measurements... looking at photos and videos, he seems to have a much shorter standing reach than his reported 8'7", which, by the way, is the same as Brandon Clarke's, and is a number people point to as a major shortcoming for Clarke. In pictures at the Naismith awards, Zion seems to be the same height or slightly shorter than Matisse Thybulle, who is variously listed as 6'5" or 6'6". So if Zion is actually 6'5" with a standing reach of 8'5", it's strange that few people are talking about it.

https://medium.com/sportsraid/2019-nba-draft-power-forward-rankings-zion-williamson-brandon-clarke-sekou-doumbouya-rui-hachimura-4d58a7db71d0

https://www.gettyimages.com/detail/news-photo/citizen-naismith-mens-college-player-of-the-year-zion-news-photo/1135626754 (https://medium.com/sportsraid/2019-nba-draft-power-forward-rankings-zion-williamson-brandon-clarke-sekou-doumbouya-rui-hachimura-4d58a7db71d0)

John B
06-19-2019, 12:19 AM
Who’s Spurs answer to Jokic? How about AD playing center? Spurs was built to guard Curry’s pnr, but Dubs down. I think the game will slow down to banging in the paint.

DPG21920
06-19-2019, 12:34 AM
Some evidence of Clarkes form improving

timvp
06-19-2019, 12:43 AM
Some evidence of Clarkes form improving

Yeah, his form is getting better (couldn't get worse, tbh). But it's difficult for me to buy the idea that he can go from worse shooting form than most fifth graders to knockdown NBA three-point shooter. Maybe he proves me wrong but he'd need to improve across the board to be a good fit on the Spurs, IMO. As it stands, you can't play him next to Poeltl and won't want to play him when either DeRozan or Murray is on the court.

What sort of ceiling do you imagine he'd have in San Antonio? You think he becomes a shooter and transitions to small forward? You think he becomes a player you build around defensively and change the building blocks to fit him? You think he dominates his role so thoroughly that it doesn't matter that he doesn't play many minutes? Real questions, tbh.

DPG21920
06-19-2019, 12:54 AM
Yeah, his form is getting better (couldn't get worse, tbh). But it's difficult for me to buy the idea that he can go from worse shooting form than most fifth graders to knockdown NBA three-point shooter. Maybe he proves me wrong but he'd need to improve across the board to be a good fit on the Spurs, IMO. As it stands, you can't play him next to Poeltl and won't want to play him when either DeRozan or Murray is on the court.

What sort of ceiling do you imagine he'd have in San Antonio? You think he becomes a shooter and transitions to small forward? You think he becomes a player you build around defensively and change the building blocks to fit him? You think he dominates his role so thoroughly that it doesn't matter that he doesn't play many minutes? Real questions, tbh.

I think his defense overall can be so good next to White & Murray that if he becomes just a passable catch & shoot because guys gamble off him player that he’s worth it.

I’m not concerned about Poeltl LMA or DeRozan. They are not here forever. I view him as a 4/small ball 5 that can switch a lot on defense and respectably cover many guys is spurts.

I do also think it would take Murray/White becoming shooters themselves and SA pushing pace as DeRozan LMA phase out.

I’m just valuing his defense more than anything and high IQ being able to be a positive on offense finding ways to score.

The retooling wouldn’t be around him; it would be around Murray/White/Lonnie which naturally suits him more.

I’m saying at 19, it would be really hard to not take a gamble on someone that dominated as much as him.

timvp
06-19-2019, 01:11 AM
I think his defense overall can be so good next to White & Murray that if he becomes just a passable catch & shoot because guys gamble off him player that he’s worth it.

I’m not concerned about Poeltl LMA or DeRozan. They are not here forever. I view him as a 4/small ball 5 that can switch a lot on defense and respectably cover many guys is spurts.

I do also think it would take Murray/White becoming shooters themselves and SA pushing pace as DeRozan LMA phase out.

I’m just valuing his defense more than anything and high IQ being able to be a positive on offense finding ways to score.

The retooling wouldn’t be around him; it would be around Murray/White/Lonnie which naturally suits him more.

I’m saying at 19, it would be really hard to not take a gamble on someone that dominated as much as him.

Fair enough. I'm not super low on Clarke ... I'm just not super high on him like many on the internet (it's amazing high many Big Boards have him in the top five).

The difference in my view is he's actually a risky pick. Many are saying he's a high floor, high ceiling pick. I don't agree with that. I think he has a pretty low floor. It's not too far-fetched for him to get run over by bigs and then not have anything else to compensate. In that scenario, hindsight would be: ":lmao Why the hell you draft a Klay Thompson sized center who shot like a girl into his 20s? :lmao".

I also don't see him having an amazing ceiling. I think his ceiling is like a better Andre Roberson. That's still someone who will make $100 million in his NBA career ... but it'd be shocked if he's ever in All-Star conversation.

I wouldn't mind if the Spurs pick him because they can use defensive help. If they do, hopefully you bump this post to prove how wrong I was, tbh :tu

EricB
06-19-2019, 01:17 AM
Cam Reddish needs to be the guy, hopefully he falls a tad and the spurs can trade up and get him.

SpurPadre
06-19-2019, 01:50 AM
Where are people getting that Clarke is shorter than Danny Green? Every scouting report has him at around 6'8 with shoes and 6'6 1/2 at smallest without shoes. Danny is shorter than him either way.

Marco
06-19-2019, 01:58 AM
Thanks, good write-up, timvp! Do you think the Spurs will go BPA at 19, regardless of their needs?

Twisted_Dawg
06-19-2019, 03:04 AM
Man, I feel the same way. I was HOT when we got cock-blocked for Rudy G!!

Gobert wasn't the first time we sat back watching players we wanted fall only to be cock blocked by other teams. In 2008, we were real high on Ibaka and Batum and they were BOTH available right before we drafted. Problem is Presti had just left for Seattle and drafted Ibaka two picks before us. Batum was picked by Portland one pick BEFORE the Spurs pick. The Portland GM (whose name escapes me) had also just come from the Spurs. Both of these guys had corporate knowledge of our scouting. If there was ever a time to move up a few spots, that was the time. Instead PATFO sat on their ass waiting for those players to drop only to be cock blocked by our former front office guys. As a consolation we did draft the guy we ultimately turned into Bertans, Derozen, Poetl and 2019 #29.

Chinook
06-19-2019, 03:40 AM
Where are people getting that Clarke is shorter than Danny Green? Every scouting report has him at around 6'8 with shoes and 6'6 1/2 at smallest without shoes. Danny is shorter than him either way.

His height is taller, but his standing reach isn't, so on the court, they take up about as much space. He also weighs less than Green. Clarke's biggest problem isn't really his lack of shooting (I do think it'll end up being fine), but his lack of girth. Dude is really physically optimized right now for being a springy and agile athlete. It's not clear that he can gain significant weight and still move like a wing on the perimeter. Ideally, he shoots well enough and gains enough weight to guard almost all forwards and wings. He doesn't have to be able to check a guy like Aldridge, but he does need to not get run over by Millsap. You don't necessarily need to put him into a strict positional cubby. Dude is going to be either a roll-man or a dunker in the PnR regardless of who's on the floor with him. He's also likely to guard the best middle-position player on the other side if he's going to be a real NBA player. How everything else fits around that is a different story. Combo-forwards who can shoot are Clarke's best friends, as are two-guards big enough to play up a spot or two. These teams exist, with the Spurs' bench being one of them.

BillMc
06-19-2019, 04:35 AM
Great read OP. Many thanks!:bobo

BatManu20
06-19-2019, 06:05 AM
:bobo

"Bazley is virtual unknown. He played against low level competition in high school and then bounced around before sitting out all of last season. "

Giannis lite ...would be ideal with the pick 29

Me thinks he goes to BKN at 27. Sean Marks is reportedly high on him.

BatManu20
06-19-2019, 06:06 AM
I think Okeke is a decent prospect but I wouldn’t want him at 29. Low-ceiling player who belongs in the top-10 of the second round imo.

Thomas82
06-19-2019, 06:27 AM
Gobert wasn't the first time we sat back watching players we wanted fall only to be cock blocked by other teams. In 2008, we were real high on Ibaka and Batum and they were BOTH available right before we drafted. Problem is Presti had just left for Seattle and drafted Batum one pick before us. Ibaka was picked by Portland one pick BEFORE Batum. The Portland GM (whose name escapes me) had also just come from the Spurs. Both of these guys had corporate knowledge of our scouting. If there was ever a time to move up a few spots, that was the time. Instead PATFO sat on their ass waiting for those players to drop only to be cock blocked by our former front office guys. As a consolation we did draft the guy we ultimately turned into Bertans, Derozen, Poetl and 2019 #29.

I remember the 2008 draft very well, especially the Batum pick. I remember him wanting to be a Spur too. He would have been a nice replacement for Bruce Bowen. If I remember right, didn't Houston draft him and then trade him to Portland?

exstatic
06-19-2019, 06:38 AM
Gobert wasn't the first time we sat back watching players we wanted fall only to be cock blocked by other teams. In 2008, we were real high on Ibaka and Batum and they were BOTH available right before we drafted. Problem is Presti had just left for Seattle and drafted Batum one pick before us. Ibaka was picked by Portland one pick BEFORE Batum. The Portland GM (whose name escapes me) had also just come from the Spurs. Both of these guys had corporate knowledge of our scouting. If there was ever a time to move up a few spots, that was the time. Instead PATFO sat on their ass waiting for those players to drop only to be cock blocked by our former front office guys. As a consolation we did draft the guy we ultimately turned into Bertans, Derozen, Poetl and 2019 #29.
Batum was drafted by Houston, and traded to Portland. SEVERAL YEARS LATER, Ibaka was drafted by OKC.

JuneJive
06-19-2019, 07:01 AM
Im on the Clarke, K. Porter, Doumbouya, Claxton wagon.

All about that boom potential. Not really interested in low ceilings.

DPG21920
06-19-2019, 07:10 AM
Fair enough. I'm not super low on Clarke ... I'm just not super high on him like many on the internet (it's amazing high many Big Boards have him in the top five).

The difference in my view is he's actually a risky pick. Many are saying he's a high floor, high ceiling pick. I don't agree with that. I think he has a pretty low floor. It's not too far-fetched for him to get run over by bigs and then not have anything else to compensate. In that scenario, hindsight would be: ":lmao Why the hell you draft a Klay Thompson sized center who shot like a girl into his 20s? :lmao".

I also don't see him having an amazing ceiling. I think his ceiling is like a better Andre Roberson. That's still someone who will make $100 million in his NBA career ... but it'd be shocked if he's ever in All-Star conversation.

I wouldn't mind if the Spurs pick him because they can use defensive help. If they do, hopefully you bump this post to prove how wrong I was, tbh :tu

He’s definitely got some bust Potential, but I think his defense and ability to finish off of rolls/dives will give him some value. But I understand he’s not a sure thing. But to me, at 19, with that production he’s on my list of more than worthy gambles that could pay off big.

It’s just really hard to ignore that production for me personally

Twisted_Dawg
06-19-2019, 07:29 AM
Batum was drafted by Houston, and traded to Portland. SEVERAL YEARS LATER, Ibaka was drafted by OKC.

Totally wrong. Both players drafted back to back in the 2008 draft right in front of the Spurs.

From wiki:
Ibaka was drafted by the Oklahoma City Thunder's former incarnation, the Seattle SuperSonics, with the 24th overall pick in the 2008 NBA draft.

I did mix up the players the two teams drafted (since corrected). But the point is SA liked and was going to draft either guy (especially Batum)if available. Both players were drafted by the two teams in front of us employing our former front office personnel because we chose to stand pat.

Ocotillo
06-19-2019, 08:31 AM
Kevin Pritchard drafted Batum and was a thorn in our sides for years.

exstatic
06-19-2019, 09:03 AM
Kevin Pritchard drafted Batum and was a thorn in our sides for years.

Karma caught up with him, though. Paul Allen had this thing where once you pissed him off, there was no redemption. KP pissed him off, and Allen made him go through and do all of the draft work, and make the picks AFTER firing him. He landed on his feet in Indy, though, first as GM, and now as POBO.

exstatic
06-19-2019, 09:18 AM
Totally wrong. Both players drafted back to back in the 2008 draft right in front of the Spurs.

From wiki:
Ibaka was drafted by the Oklahoma City Thunder's former incarnation, the Seattle SuperSonics, with the 24th overall pick in the 2008 NBA draft.

I did mix up the players the two teams drafted (since corrected). But the point is SA liked and was going to draft either guy (especially Batum)if available. Both players were drafted by the two teams in front of us employing our former front office personnel because we chose to stand pat.

And all we got was George Hill...and eventually Kawhi. We STILL have assets from that #26 pick in 2008, including the #29 pick in the 2019 draft (11 years later), Bertans, Poeltl, and Demar.

Outside of 50 and 21, that #26 might have been the 3rd best draft pick this franchise ever made.

lmbebo
06-19-2019, 09:20 AM
Thanks. Eager for draft already

Drom John
06-19-2019, 09:57 AM
The Maryland coach (Turgeon) and RC are both Kansas University alums. Not sure if they played together. I don’t think RC has ever drafted a KU player and passes them up all the times. Last KU alum I remember on the team was Drew Gooden.

2009 Drew Gooden and Jacque Vaughn
2007 Keith Langford
1997 Darrin Hancock
1984 Dave Robisch

benefactor
06-19-2019, 10:40 AM
If they can't trade up, I'm good with them going for one of the "swing for the fences" prospects like Samanic or Bol. With the Spurs current personnel situation, there's no better draft to do it tbh.

Immortal Spur
06-19-2019, 10:45 AM
If they can't trade up, I'm good with them going for one of the "swing for the fences" prospects like Samanic or Bol. With the Spurs current personnel situation, there's no better draft to do it tbh.
Been warming up to Bol Bol too.

rjv
06-19-2019, 01:03 PM
thanks for sharing. it's not easy, especially since predicting the draft for the spurs is about as easy as predicting what the weather will be like one month from now.

exstatic
06-19-2019, 02:10 PM
thanks for sharing. it's not easy, especially since predicting the draft for the spurs is about as easy as predicting what the weather will be like one month from now.

That's actually easy: in a month, the weather will be fucking hot.

lmbebo
06-19-2019, 03:32 PM
Would love to be able to trade up and get Little .....

TD 21
06-19-2019, 06:15 PM
The whole premise of this is flawed. There's obviously no chance of them trading into the top 10, so why even bother listing players they have no chance of? But since you did, why pretend they wouldn't select some of these high ceiling prospects in a second if they could? As if Murray, White and Walker is some holy trinity of some sort.

timvp
06-20-2019, 01:22 AM
Comparing the Big Board I posted to this consensus Big Board is pretty interesting.

Players who I ranked significantly higher:

Darius Bazley +22
Isaiah Roby +22
Rui Hachimura +20
Luka Samanic +18
Sekou Doumbouya +16
Nassir Little +16

Players who I ranked lower:

Grant Williams -20
Brandon Clarke -16
Talen Horton-Tucker -15
PJ Washington -11

IMO, ranking Clarke 5th overall and Williams 7th overall is crazy ... but I guess time will tell.

rjv
06-20-2019, 11:11 AM
That's actually easy: in a month, the weather will be fucking hot.

there better not be a hurricane or i'm calling this as a hex.

timvp
06-20-2019, 09:32 PM
Samanic is an athletic power forward with a smooth looking jumper. If you watch him in a workout, you can see glimpses of Dirk Nowitzki. But when you watch him play, you see glimpses of a poor man's Andrea Bargnani. If the Spurs believe in his tools, they may bet big on his development.

Nowitzki it is, boys :tu

DPG21920
06-20-2019, 11:52 PM
Nowitzki it is, boys :tu

The fact SA passed on my guy Clarke only to get my guy Bargnani was rich for the people sitting next to me at the draft :lol

Basketball Gods finally getting me Bargnani tbh