PDA

View Full Version : Amico: Spurs Exploring Trading One or Both Picks for Veteran

BatManu20
06-20-2019, 12:01 AM
The San Antonio Spurs are exploring trading one or both of their first-round draft picks for an established veteran, league sources told Amico Hoops.

The Spurs hold the Nos. 19 and 29 overall picks, as well one second-rounder (49th overall). Sources said the Spurs may be willing to throw in a future first-rounder for immediate help.

BatManu20
06-20-2019, 12:01 AM
This doesn’t sound very Spurs-like, and it’s Amico so take it with a grain of salt, but Spurs might going all in for the next season or two while Pop’s here instead of trying to draft and develop young guys.

Jae Crowder and Robert Covington come to mind.

Russ
06-20-2019, 12:02 AM
This sounds very unSpur-like . . .

slick'81
06-20-2019, 12:02 AM
Both!? Woah easy there rc

cool cat
06-20-2019, 12:04 AM
Probably if they miss on who they want to draft they will trade the picks.

playblair
06-20-2019, 12:05 AM
i would puke.......if spurs r looking for veteran help they can sign dejuan blair from austin spurs

John B
06-20-2019, 12:07 AM
:stirpot::stirpot::stirpot:

timvp
06-20-2019, 12:14 AM
Meh. Historically, when rumors have surfaced that the Spurs are desperately trying to trade their first round pick, that usually means they've promised to pick a player and they're pretending to shop the pick in hopes of throwing other teams off the trail.

Chinook
06-20-2019, 12:19 AM
Amico sucks.

BatManu20
06-20-2019, 12:20 AM
Amico sucks.

yep. That’s why I said take it with a grain of salt.

spurraider21
06-20-2019, 12:22 AM
sounds terrible if true tbh, though it also means they're swinging for the fences in a year where GSW is hurt and HOU is falling apart

Nivek_ogre
06-20-2019, 12:25 AM
i would puke.......if spurs r looking for veteran help they can sign dejuan blair from austin spurs

Lol. Your relentless.

Gandalf
06-20-2019, 12:28 AM
Meh. Historically, when rumors have surfaced that the Spurs are desperately trying to trade their first round pick, that usually means they've promised to pick a player and they're pretending to shop the pick in hopes of throwing other teams off the trail.

Hopefully, but you'd think the other GMs would have picked up on this by now. We saw how well 'win now' worked out for us last year. I'd rather not mortgage the future to achieve nothing other than several more years of middling picks.

Dennis the Menace
06-20-2019, 12:32 AM
Someone take away the alcohol from RC and Pop. This team ain’t winning shit with Derozan taking up a max slot. No matter how much help you get

This is essentially saying the Spurs front office is removing the only facet of their operations that they do well. Draft.

spurs10
06-20-2019, 12:34 AM
CIA :pop:

apalisoc_9
06-20-2019, 12:35 AM
This doesn’t sound very Spurs-like, and it’s Amico so take it with a grain of salt, but Spurs might going all in for the next season or two while Pop’s here instead of trying to draft and develop young guys.

Jae Crowder and Robert Covington come to mind.

Covington is the best 3&D player in the league. A 19th pick is not enough for that kind of player

8FOR!3
06-20-2019, 12:38 AM
Trading up 5-10 picks would make more sense to me than trading for a vet. Seems like some of those guys have higher upsides than just being a role player for a few years.

kobyz
06-20-2019, 12:44 AM
We need to try shed salary to have enough cap space to go all out on Al Horford and beat the Mavs

Uriel
06-20-2019, 01:01 AM
So the Rui promise is real? :lol

apalisoc_9
06-20-2019, 02:22 AM
We need to try shed salary to have enough cap space to go all out on Al Horford and beat the Mavs

We dont need two Lamarcus in the team

Chinook
06-20-2019, 02:40 AM

Maybe you'd know more than I do. I just see this as Amico throwing shit at the wall. I simply don't see the benefit in making a promise to a player in the middle of this draft. You just don't know who will fall. Like sure, maybe you promise to take Samanic at 19. But what if Doumbouya falls? What if Hunter is still hanging around at 9, and Washington is willing to make a deal? You let the chips fall where they may, or you jump in and make an aggressive move to secure a guy, but you don't lock yourself into a player when there's so much mystery available.

Now at 29, that's a different story. That first-round contract might be the only thing that kept someone like Okeke, Roby or Horton-Tucker in the draft this year. Almost all of the toss-up guys decided to stay in this year, and promises could have had something to do with it. Something about Kabengele really does feel like he's on PATFO's radar in the same vein that Metu was. If they're trying to smoke-screen their interest in someone, he's a really good candidate. It's really easy to overlook him or think he needed to go back to school. But he has a lot of raw talent and should be a long-term fit for the Spurs whether they play big or small going forward.

ZeusWillJudge
06-20-2019, 02:48 AM
This popped up in another thread earlier. Sounds like he's saying the Spurs want to send a pick and get back a "established veteran". So how would that work, exactly? The Spurs can't take on the salary of an established veteran, without shipping salary to balance. So some team is going to give the Spurs a veteran player AND take on Patty Mills' ridiculous contract, in exchange for 19 or even 19 and 29? "Here... let us hand you a good player, in exchange for a couple of iffy picks, and the chance to salary dump your albatross."
Is there anybody so desperate for late first round pick(s) that they would do that?

It can't be DDR or Aldridge, because then it would be a player swap, with picks thrown in as a kicker. Not at all what Amico is talking about. Who else do the Spurs have with enough salary to move the needle in a trade for a proven veteran? Bertans plus Belinelli? Once again, that's a player swap with the pick being a kicker.

It's late and I'm tired - am I missing something here?

kobyz
06-20-2019, 02:48 AM
We dont need two Lamarcus in the team

We need to try to go somewhere, trying to contend by bringing great addition or go full rebuild, Al is another force both defensively and offensively, both LA and AL could fit well together...

timvp
06-20-2019, 02:49 AM
Maybe you'd know more than I do. I just see this as Amico throwing shit at the wall.It's Amico so he's probably just making it up. But if we see the rumor spread as the draft approaches, I'd think a promise is likely.

I simply don't see the benefit in making a promise to a player in the middle of this draft.A promise at 19 is dangerous but if the Spurs have a target they feel is being undervalued and the target wants to be on the Spurs, it's probably worth the risk in a draft like that this levels off pretty quickly after the first three picks.

Chinook
06-20-2019, 03:01 AM
It's Amico so he's probably just making it up. But if we see the rumor spread as the draft approaches, I'd think a promise is likely.

I still haven't ruled out the possibility that PATFO started the DeRozan trade rumors to pump up the value of their guards. They did the same thing with Parker before the Hill trade. Fans on RealGM have White and 19 as worth 6 or 7. Doesn't mean anything, but that's possibly high enough to grab Hunter, Barrett or Reddish, and it's almost certainly high enough to grab Doumbouya. A lot of teams seem to believe this isn't a strong draft for sure-fire impact players, so it could be a situation where the Spurs get 9-11 without having to give up 19.

A promise at 19 is dangerous but if the Spurs have a target they feel is being undervalued and the target wants to be on the Spurs, it's probably worth the risk in a draft like that this levels off pretty quickly after the first three picks.

Maybe. With the clutter, maybe a guy does fall to 19. Every rumor of Bazley or Okpala getting picked before 19 helps. Little, Hachimura and even Reddish haven't had a great pre-draft season. I doubt anyone but maybe Rui would be tanking their value to become Spurs, but the general scrum could help the team pluck their guy if they can work the other teams a bit. I just struggle to think of who it would be.

south side spur
06-20-2019, 03:07 AM
https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nba/news/nba-trade-rumors-thunder-steven-adams-dennis-schroder-very-available/ysq523jrag7fzlgmfd1rfj54

How would y’all feel about Steven Adams?

EricB
06-20-2019, 03:12 AM
I’ve been told this is complete BS.

cutewizard
06-20-2019, 03:13 AM
wow thunder shedding adams

spurs10
06-20-2019, 03:15 AM
https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nba/news/nba-trade-rumors-thunder-steven-adams-dennis-schroder-very-available/ysq523jrag7fzlgmfd1rfj54

How would y’all feel about Steven Adams? Adams is great. I'm not getting the idea that OKC wants him 'available.'

playblair
06-20-2019, 03:15 AM
Maybe you'd know more than I do. I just see this as Amico throwing shit at the wall. I simply don't see the benefit in making a promise to a player in the middle of this draft. You just don't know who will fall. Like sure, maybe you promise to take Samanic at 19. But what if Doumbouya falls? What if Hunter is still hanging around at 9, and Washington is willing to make a deal? You let the chips fall where they may, or you jump in and make an aggressive move to secure a guy, but you don't lock yourself into a player when there's so much mystery available.

Now at 29, that's a different story. That first-round contract might be the only thing that kept someone like Okeke, Roby or Horton-Tucker in the draft this year. Almost all of the toss-up guys decided to stay in this year, and promises could have had something to do with it. Something about Kabengele really does feel like he's on PATFO's radar in the same vein that Metu was. If they're trying to smoke-screen their interest in someone, he's a really good candidate. It's really easy to overlook him or think he needed to go back to school. But he has a lot of raw talent and should be a long-term fit for the Spurs whether they play big or small going forward.

this scenario has happened before..........a few drafts ago the spurs made a promise to draft a virgina player but passed on him for another player who slipped.......the players aunt went to twitter to call out popovich & rc for lying

buttsR4rebounding
06-20-2019, 03:16 AM
[/FONT][/COLOR]

The Spurs don't have cap space to do this. They are over the cap now and are over for next year.

Chinook
06-20-2019, 03:35 AM
The Spurs don't have cap space to do this. They are over the cap now and are over for next year.

I think the point is to move a pick along with some of the redundant players for an upgrade. Especially if the Spurs draft Okeke with 29, I'm all for offering Beli, Bertans and the 2020 first for Bogdanovic on an S&T. Or Beli and 29 for Crowder. Or maybe Forbes and 29 for Valentine.

DavidTheGoliath
06-20-2019, 03:43 AM
I think the point is to move a pick along with some of the redundant players for an upgrade. Especially if the Spurs draft Okeke with 29, I'm all for offering Beli, Bertans and the 2020 first for Bogdanovic on an S&T. Or Beli and 29 for Crowder. Or maybe Forbes and 29 for Valentine.

If this is bogdan were talking about then lets go

Dr. John R. Brinkley
06-20-2019, 06:17 AM
Wasn’t it the Batum draft when they knew Portland was going to hose them, and so they sent out a fax to every team that they were open to trading their pick? It seemed like a transparent feint at the time.

NickiRasgo
06-20-2019, 06:54 AM
Maybe get George Hill for the picks then offer him again to Kawhi Leonard? :lobt2:

GusT15
06-20-2019, 07:39 AM
Maybe get George Hill for the picks then offer him again to Kawhi Leonard? :lobt2:

Offer him directly to Leonard?

As in some kind of butler/chore boy for Uncle Dennis?

I don't think the CBA allows these kind of services tbh

CGD
06-20-2019, 07:45 AM
SAS—> Crowder
MEM —> Marco+49

Keepin' it real
06-20-2019, 08:54 AM
https://media1.giphy.com/media/loVj4u71LNFug/giphy.gif

TDomination
06-20-2019, 09:20 AM
I truly would only want them to move their picks for a higher pick.

With that said, if we trade our picks for a vet player, the trade BETTER include Patty Mills. Then I might be okay with it. But obviously it depends on who we get in return.

SpurSpike
06-20-2019, 09:25 AM

I always wanted that dude but he is due to get 25.8 million next season... that's why they are shopping him.

exstatic
06-20-2019, 09:30 AM

He was played off the floor in the playoffs, due to his poor defense in space. Like many NBA bigs, he's a dinosaur looking up at the asteroid that is about to mean his extinction. He really doesn't have a big place in today's game.

RC_Drunkford
06-20-2019, 09:39 AM
Spurs fans want Steven Adams but complain about LaMarcus who's not only a better player on a better contract, but also scored 56 points on him :lmao

Collins21
06-20-2019, 09:41 AM
Spurs fans want Steven Adams but complain about LaMarcus who's not only a better player on a better contract, but also scored 56 points on him :lmao

That because most people on Spurstalk don't know basketball lol.

SAGirl
06-20-2019, 09:43 AM
Do not be surprised when nothing like this happens tbh. Spurs standing pat IMO with perhaps adding a nice player with the MLE (I hope). Hoping Murray and Walker are healthy next season and have developed over the summer personally...

look_at_g_shred
06-20-2019, 09:45 AM
When has Amico ever been right? Nothing to see except a dude throwing shit at the wall and seeing if it sticks.

MarCowMar
06-20-2019, 09:47 AM
This sounds like standard operating procedure for every team, not news. They need to have a backup plan if the top players on their board are getting plucked too quickly.

I'm sure they've also explored trading up and have tentative deals arranged for that also.

duncan2k5
06-20-2019, 10:02 AM
Jesus christ we are a retirement home... NO MORE OLD PPL!!!

RC_Drunkford
06-20-2019, 10:09 AM
this doesn't even work because you need cap space to absorb a contract and Spurs have none

ceperez
06-20-2019, 10:23 AM

:bobo

Mugen
06-20-2019, 10:24 AM
Jesus christ we are a retirement home... NO MORE OLD PPL!!!

^ I trust this dumbfuck more than Amico tbh.

Dverde
06-20-2019, 10:29 AM
There’s always Taurean Prince. I doubt the Nets want to trade him unless they need the cap room.

GB20
06-20-2019, 10:39 AM
^ I trust this dumbfuck more than Amico tbh.

Yeah!! I trust @Shittytakesonspurstalk more than Amico too.

baseline bum
06-20-2019, 10:42 AM
Adams is great. I'm not getting the idea that OKC wants him 'available.'

Because he makes near max money and they have an enormous luxury tax bill due. A repeaters luxury tax bill no less I think.

baseline bum
06-20-2019, 10:44 AM
sounds terrible if true tbh, though it also means they're swinging for the fences in a year where GSW is hurt and HOU is falling apart

https://i.ibb.co/V9KKFpN/011509-Chris-Paul-p1.jpg

Twisted_Dawg
06-20-2019, 10:51 AM
Do not be surprised when nothing like this happens tbh. Spurs standing pat IMO with perhaps adding a nice player with the MLE (I hope). Hoping Murray and Walker are healthy next season and have developed over the summer personally...

Right here....pin this^^^^on a sticky.

monty4329
06-20-2019, 10:53 AM
Enough with useless picks like Metu or Eubanks. Get rid of all picks, we have enough young guys already. Get somebody who can actually play today's NBA basketball.

Unless PATFO see the new Manu or Kawhi, and in that case they have to call it after the draft, otherwise there is absolutely no need to pick any project that will never play meaningful minutes on an NBA floor.

Mugen
06-20-2019, 11:22 AM
Enough with useless picks like Metu or Eubanks. Get rid of all picks, we have enough young guys already. Get somebody who can actually play today's NBA basketball.

Unless PATFO see the new Manu or Kawhi, and in that case they have to call it after the draft, otherwise there is absolutely no need to pick any project that will never play meaningful minutes on an NBA floor.

:lol Metu was a 2nd round pick and Eubanks was undrafted....I'm not sure why you cite them when you're talking about useless picks since neither had much of a shot to contribute (even funnier when you call out Manu as he was a 57th pick).....

The picks they have made in the last 3 years are actually the only reason anybody should be excited about the franchise....

Drafting is literally the only thing this FO still does well so I'd rather they draft for the future because there's about a 1% chance the team rings with Derozan and Aldridge on the team....

DAF86
06-20-2019, 11:26 AM
Going all in on mediocrity I see.

Nathan89
06-20-2019, 11:32 AM
Going all in with DeRozan.:lmao

Patfo is the fish at the poker table.

TheCerebral1
06-20-2019, 11:38 AM
I'm so done with this love fest with mediocre average crap veterans. Yes we made the playoffs, but sticking it out for being a first round out, screams....break the FUCKING cycle. I'm sorry, I haven't really watched the Spurs post Timmy. Lamarcus Aldridge and DeMar Derozan are about the WORST one two punch I've seen since before the Admiral came in.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-20-2019, 11:41 AM
I'm so done with this love fest with mediocre average crap veterans. Yes we made the playoffs, but sticking it out for being a first round out, screams....break the FUCKING cycle. I'm sorry, I haven't really watched the Spurs post Timmy. Lamarcus Aldridge and DeMar Derozan are about the WORST one two punch I've seen since before the Admiral came in.

Just have to accept Pop hasn't gotten over himself. It's why things ultimately flamed out with Kawhi, and it's why he's chasing vets - he wants to retire having never missed the playoffs, GOAT coach, blah blah blah

TheGreatYacht
06-20-2019, 11:46 AM
Not sure why posters are saying this sounds unspurslike.... they literally chose to have an established veteran over young pieces during the Kawhi fleece last off season :lmao

This is craterface. Putting himself over the good of the franchise. Doesn't give a shit about the team once he leaves, just doesn't want to go out like an irrelevant old geezer who got exposed without Duncan.

Dennis the Menace
06-20-2019, 11:47 AM
Pop putting his legacy first before the good of the organization. Nothing new to see here folks

TheGreatYacht
06-20-2019, 11:50 AM
Just have to accept Pop hasn't gotten over himself. It's why things ultimately flamed out with Kawhi, and it's why he's chasing vets - he wants to retire having never missed the playoffs, GOAT coach, blah blah blah
Exactly this. He's content with being a first round bukkake for the real contenders. As long as that playoff streak stays alive while he collects checks as the highest paid coach in the league.

TheGreatYacht
06-20-2019, 12:02 PM
Not only are Crowder and Valentine not good, they're also on 1 year deals. The latter hasn't even played basketball in a year. Vintage GM Chinook tbh

Twisted_Dawg
06-20-2019, 12:03 PM
Exactly this. He's content with being a first round bukkake for the real contenders. As long as that playoff streak stays alive while he collects checks as the highest paid coach in the league.

The image of crater face taking a bukkake is just a bit much to process.

TheGreatYacht
06-20-2019, 12:08 PM
The image of crater face taking a bukkake is just a bit much to process.
That's what Becky is for tbh. Main assistant coach now

Chinook
06-20-2019, 12:12 PM
Not only are Crowder and Valentine not good, they're also on 1 year deals. The latter hasn't even played basketball in a year. Vintage GM Chinook tbh

Valentine is going to be an RFA, His expiring status is irrelevant. And you're only mad about the Crowder trade because you're still in love with Beli for some reason.

Play Boban
06-20-2019, 12:21 PM

And trade 49th pick for Boban tbh....Boban + Blair = :lobt2:

pad300
06-20-2019, 12:45 PM
And trade 49th pick for Boban tbh....Boban + Blair = :lobt2:

Aren't you supposed to be a Boban fan? You need a better schtick. Why would you trade for an Unrestricted Free Agent?

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/philadelphia-76ers/boban-marjanovic-17984/

spurs10
06-20-2019, 01:06 PM
Because he makes near max money and they have an enormous luxury tax bill due. A repeaters luxury tax bill no less I think.
Ouch!

Keepin' it real
06-20-2019, 01:22 PM
So y'all are saying Pop is pulling a Kobe... Sacrificing the team's future for personal glory at the end of his career?

monty4329
06-20-2019, 01:29 PM
:lol Metu was a 2nd round pick and Eubanks was undrafted....I'm not sure why you cite them when you're talking about useless picks since neither had much of a shot to contribute (even funnier when you call out Manu as he was a 57th pick).....

The picks they have made in the last 3 years are actually the only reason anybody should be excited about the franchise....

Drafting is literally the only thing this FO still does well so I'd rather they draft for the future because there's about a 1% chance the team rings with Derozan and Aldridge on the team....

You seem to have troubles understanding basic concepts.
1. ''Get rid of all picks, we have enough young guys already'' Isn't it clear enough? Do you need me to draw a picture?
2. 'Unless PATFO see the new Manu or Kawhi''. Seems quite easy to understand. Or maybe not.
3. 'like' Metu and Eubanks. That is people who'll never play in the NBA. Blossomgame? Milutinov? is it clearer now?
4. You might think this time PATFO will draft another White or Murray at #29, or even better at #17. Fine. They actually will, probably. But are they helping getting past the first round? No.

Look at Phila. You cannot win with picks only. Not even with a gazillion top picks. You need players that can play. Phila tried, then understood and traded for actual players.

No, you don't win shit with DDR, he was an obvious mistake and needs to go, but it has nothing to do with the draft (unless he can be traded tonight in some kind of multiple teams players-picks draft night cocktail). LMA is still a very solid player.

Seems pretty simple to understand.

superbigtime
06-20-2019, 01:46 PM
wish it was the other way around tbh

Crazymaddopeyo
06-20-2019, 02:00 PM
I guess y'all believe everything you read.

Big Empty
06-20-2019, 02:03 PM
Pop wants a shot at Kawhi whether he’s in the East or West. With Goldenstate an average team next year the West is up in the air. Lets put the rebuild on hold and lets go all in next year. Im ok with that!

ZeusWillJudge
06-20-2019, 02:29 PM

It can't happen! Adams makes $25M per. The Spurs can't just add a $25M player to the damn roster. Draft picks are not a Get Out Of Cap Jail Free card. I don't know what leagues sources would tell Amico that the Spurs can trade a pick for a player when they're over the cap.

Figure out what player(s) the Spurs would have to send out to balance the salaries in that deal. It can't happen.

Like I said, that's a player swap with a pick thrown in as a kicker. Beli and Bertans are both "established veterans". They would be trading two established veterans for one that they thought might move the needle, and using the pick(s) to sweeten the deal.

baseline bum
06-20-2019, 02:32 PM
It can't happen! Adams makes $25M per. The Spurs can't just add a $25M player to the damn roster. Draft picks are not a Get Out Of Cap Jail Free card. I don't know what leagues sources would tell Amico that the Spurs can trade a pick for a player when they're over the cap.

Figure out what player(s) the Spurs would have to send out to balance the salaries in that deal. It can't happen.

Like I said, that's a player swap with a pick thrown in as a kicker. Beli and Bertans are both "established veterans". They would be trading two established veterans for one that they thought might move the needle, and using the pick(s) to sweeten the deal.

Now if they still had Gasoft's contract to move. :pctoss

Not that I'd want Adams though.

Twisted_Dawg
06-20-2019, 02:34 PM
Now if they still had Gasoft's contract to move. :pctoss

Not that I'd want Adams though.

We still got $5 million of it!

pad300
06-20-2019, 03:15 PM
We still got $5 million of it!

Unfortunately, the $5M on the books from the buyout is not tradeable...

Chinook
06-20-2019, 03:47 PM

Nah, it's moving the pick with the other guys as ballast.

Big Empty
06-20-2019, 03:52 PM
Lol Adams....he’s ok but noone thats gonna get us out the first round. He’s Patty Mills the Center

slick'81
06-20-2019, 03:59 PM
Lol Adams....he’s ok but noone thats gonna get us out the first round. He’s Patty Mills the Center

Id love to get mustache mountain hes only 26 but not at his price for two more seasons.We already have poodle power ftw

Play Boban
06-20-2019, 05:25 PM
Aren't you supposed to be a Boban fan? You need a better schtick. Why would you trade for an Unrestricted Free Agent?

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/philadelphia-76ers/boban-marjanovic-17984/
:lmao

TheGreatYacht
06-20-2019, 06:04 PM
Valentine is going to be an RFA, His expiring status is irrelevant. And you're only mad about the Crowder trade because you're still in love with Beli for some reason.
Marco has to go. Everyone over 30 can go. I want this bad boy to look similar to those NBA Live Bobcats teams with half the roster being 55 overall, 24 and under, and no face scan

Let Murray, White, and Lonnie shoot all they want to secure a top 3 lottery pick

ZeusWillJudge
06-20-2019, 10:05 PM
I feel like someone should take a moment to say "Fuck Amico and his league sources."