PDA

View Full Version : CBS Sports Draft Grade for the Spurs

SpurPadre
06-21-2019, 12:49 AM
https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/2019-nba-draft-grades-live-updates-and-pick-by-pick-evaluations-for-every-first-and-second-round-selection/

They gave the Samanic pick a C saying that it was a reach at 19th with the Johnson and Weatherspoon picks an A. Most other sites have Samanic as a C as well but none of them are going as far as to call it a terrible pick purely based on PATFO's track record. Still, they're not justifying the pick either based on Samanic's upside. The other sites also mostly give us B's to A's for the other two saying they were value picks. CBS seems to think Weatherspoon is a steal for the 2nd round.

John B
06-21-2019, 12:55 AM
Agree. Face value we got solid picks, not sexy. Samanic is a mobile very skilled bigman. Johnson is a hardworking defensive SF, very unselfish team player, and Weatherspoon is a pure scorer who shoots over 40% 3pts. Again not sexy but very solid role players.

TheGreatYacht
06-21-2019, 01:03 AM
Samanic is a C grade anyway you spin it. Awful reach.

SpurPadre
06-21-2019, 01:14 AM

I hate the pick too but at least they got it right on the next pick.

itzsoweezee
06-21-2019, 01:24 AM
PATFO apologists should not look at samanic's stats. He's not close to being an NBA level player any time soon

spurraider21
06-21-2019, 01:25 AM
taking samanic felt so painful with nassar little on the board...

phxspurfan
06-21-2019, 02:30 AM

Pretty much this. Reverse the order of the first two picks (third irrelevant) and it's a better looking draft. Luka not really a reach with the second pick and Keldon with the first pick (considering the North Carolina guy loves Kawhi, thus was not really an option).

Kurgan
06-21-2019, 03:50 AM

They were never going to take an athletic black American with some questionable character issues when an upstanding white Euro was available. Luka wasn't even at the top of their board...Goga was ahead of him :lol

The Kawhi situation has soured Pop and Buford on athletic black Americans for the foreseeable future. Accountability would go a long way but PATFO prefer to put their heads in the sand and double down on the Euros instead. I wouldn't have a problem with this strategy if they were good Euros like the Mavs players but the ones we're mostly targeting are scrubs without any star ceiling.

spurraider21
06-21-2019, 03:52 AM
They were never going to take an athletic black American with some questionable character issues when an upstanding white Euro was available. Luka wasn't even at the top of their board...Goga was ahead of him :lol

The Kawhi situation has soured Pop and Buford on athletic black Americans for the foreseeable future. Accountability would go a long way but PATFO prefer to put their heads in the sand and double down on the Euros instead. I wouldn't have a problem with this strategy if they were good Euros like the Mavs players but the ones we're mostly targeting are scrubs without any star ceiling.
spurs took lonnie walker as kawhi was demanding to be traded, you twat

Philthemage
06-21-2019, 04:01 AM
QUOTE=Kurgan;9847837]They were never going to take an athletic black American with some questionable character issues when an upstanding white Euro was available. Luka wasn't even at the top of their board...Goga was ahead of him :lol

The Kawhi situation has soured Pop and Buford on athletic black Americans for the foreseeable future. Accountability would go a long way but PATFO prefer to put their heads in the sand and double down on the Euros instead. I wouldn't have a problem with this strategy if they were good Euros like the Mavs players but the ones we're mostly targeting are scrubs without any star ceiling.[/QUOTE]

Great work turning this into a race thing asshat.

8FOR!3
06-21-2019, 05:21 AM
I would have been fine with Keldon Johnson at 19 so that kind of made up for the Luka pick imo and while in today’s world we don’t hit on Euros as often anymore as we get credit for, I do trust the brainpowers with this one

XDT76
06-21-2019, 05:24 AM
I had hoped that Spurs would be able to draft a serviceable 6'8 or 6'9 SF.

SouthTexasRancher
06-21-2019, 05:29 AM
Pop and RC must have been hittin' the bottle pretty hard last night. A guy who'd be a starter almost immediately, Brandon Clark, is left for OKC to pick up 5 minutes later while the two wino's pick a damn European light pole. The two drunks must have PTSD after the KaWhitter fiasco. Without trying to trade up there was no hope of getting De'Andre Hunter or Rui Hachimura who has the Spurs as his favorite team. We've needed a 6' 7"/8"/9", 215-230 lb. 3 and D guy badly since KaWhitter quit on us. But, noooooooo, Pop and RC were so drunk they were seeing double flag poles when they picked Samanic. Our other 2 picks weren't bad but, now were going to have 12 guards and 3 guys at 6'11-7'0 who are not going to lead us to another title. Pop, you get a F'ing F while your alcoholic buddy gets a G- because these three picks will probably spend the next two years in the G league. Good show Pop and RC. Such is life in the post Big 3 era. At least the new look 12 guard Spurs should be able to stay on the court for the 1st two quarters against the Durant and Klay less Warriors.

Rummpd
06-21-2019, 06:52 AM
https://www.si.com/nba/2019/06/20/nba-draft-grades-picks-tracker-zion-williamson-ja-morant-rj-barrett

Gives B

kobyz
06-21-2019, 07:03 AM
Samanic seems like going through the motions, underwhelming pick..

kobyz
06-21-2019, 07:06 AM
Johnson pick seems like a no brainier

exstatic
06-21-2019, 07:13 AM

Cocaine isn’t a character issue. It’s a drug problem.

Ibleedslvrnblk
06-21-2019, 07:29 AM
Well for what it's worth a lot of you were a screaming for Little and he didn't go for another 6 picks or something so maybe a reach there if picked higher.

The draft is a pure gamble and no one really know what's any of these dudes will amount to just ask Anthony Bennett

Twisted_Dawg
06-21-2019, 07:31 AM
Pop and RC must have been hittin' the bottle pretty hard last night. A guy who'd be a starter almost immediately, Brandon Clark, is left for OKC to pick up 5 minutes later while the two wino's pick a damn European light pole. The two drunks must have PTSD after the KaWhitter fiasco. Without trying to trade up there was no hope of getting De'Andre Hunter or Rui Hachimura who has the Spurs as his favorite team. We've needed a 6' 7"/8"/9", 215-230 lb. 3 and D guy badly since KaWhitter quit on us. But, noooooooo, Pop and RC were so drunk they were seeing double flag poles when they picked Samanic. Our other 2 picks weren't bad but, now were going to have 12 guards and 3 guys at 6'11-7'0 who are not going to lead us to another title. Pop, you get a F'ing F while your alcoholic buddy gets a G- because these three picks will probably spend the next two years in the G league. Good show Pop and RC. Such is life in the post Big 3 era. At least the new look 12 guard Spurs should be able to stay on the court for the 1st two quarters against the Durant and Klay less Warriors.

Is R.C. Buttbuddy a wino or a vodka alchy?

Harry Callahan
06-21-2019, 07:33 AM
These draft evaluators have to put something out there the day after the draft. Opinions are just opinions.

What did people think of a lot of guys the Spurs drafted in the last ten years? Many of them have turned out to be good, long term NBA players and occasionally really good NBA players.

Luka will apparently play in the upcoming Summer Leagues so we can see him early. It will be nice to see some new guys and see how they develop with some good coaching.

Twisted_Dawg
06-21-2019, 07:34 AM

PATFO apologists should not look at samanic's stats. He's not close to being an NBA level player any time soon

Samanic seems like going through the motions, underwhelming pick..

Ed Helicopter Jones
06-21-2019, 07:44 AM
The Spurs must have felt like someone else had Samanic in their sights before 29. Juggling their draft position a bit via trade might have allowed them to grab Samanic and one of the top guys that had dropped. That’s my only complaint. Every 3rd or 4th player was involved in a trade it seemed. We definitely didn’t use the 19 to do anything earth shattering. RC must see something that the rest of us don’t. Hopefully he’ll be the one laughing at the C grade in a couple of years.

kobyz
06-21-2019, 07:52 AM
The Spurs must have felt like someone else had Samanic in their sights before 29. Juggling their draft position a bit via trade might have allowed them to grab Samanic and one of the top guys that had dropped. That’s my only complaint. Every 3rd or 4th player was involved in a trade it seemed. We definitely didn’t use the 19 to do anything earth shattering. RC must see something that the rest of us don’t. Hopefully he’ll be the one laughing at the C grade in a couple of years.

no, they just been lazy, like usual for them in draft processes

Ed Helicopter Jones
06-21-2019, 08:02 AM

I’d never call PATFO lazy. Stubborn, not lazy.

SpursDynasty85
06-21-2019, 08:04 AM
Samanic highlights show some hints of Manu's game. Fluid yet athletic. I think it was a smart pick. Theyve known him for years, struggles like many to standout in euroleague play but he is 19. He kills in the first day of the draft combine, Spurs tell him to shut down and they will take him 1st. Spurs probably didnt see little drop to them but I'm sure they keep their draft promises. Dont want Samanic in the stands like "WTF". Sad about Bol Bol. That is just ridiculous t ok get invited and drafted 44.

Atl Spur
06-21-2019, 08:22 AM
Cocaine isn’t a character issue. It’s a drug problem.

Well said my friend!! Some people are dumber than rocks.....

Atl Spur
06-21-2019, 08:24 AM
Luka’s footwork and coordination alone at that height warrants an c; throw in his ball handling.....

Tyrone Jenkins
06-21-2019, 08:47 AM
High ceiling prospect.

Drafting at 19 is a matter of opinion which way to go. Get a solid, all around, not great but probably pretty good player or get a guy who's ceiling is NBA all-star or 6th man of the year potential while also knowing the guy could bust completely.

That decision depends on the current state of your team. A team w/ a solid foundation, other potential all-stars and good defense can afford to take the risk. Can the 2023 and beyond Spurs? When Gay, DeRozan and LMA are gone and the draft pics from this and the past 2 years ARE the team, will Luka be worth the risk?

That is my question.

There were better or at least projected to be better/safer/higher floor players available at 19. Quite a few IMO. Luka at 29 is a good pick - almost a steal; but at 19 he's a reach. But more importantly, when Anthony Davis and Kawhi are in the West in 3 years, who's gonna defend them for 40 minutes? Some 6'8" SF prospect we haven't drafted yet? When Harden comes off the pick and roll, is Luka guarding his step back? Westbrook and George (even a slower one) gonna be problems too? Luka Doncic and Porzingas? Hell, not even sure about Booker, Ayton and Oubre.

Russ
06-21-2019, 08:59 AM
These are the guys the Spurs could have had rather than Samanic and still have got Keldon Johnson at 29.

20 Matisse Thybulle
Washington
SF

21 Brandon Clarke
Gonzaga
PF

22 Grant Williams
Tennessee
PF

23 Darius Bazley
USA
SF

24 Ty Jerome
Virginia
SG

25 Nassir Little
North Carolina
SF

26 Dylan Windler
Belmont
SF

27 Mfiondu Kabengele
Florida State
C

28 Jordan Poole
Michigan
SG

The only one I would have definitely taken over Samanic was Little (maybe Kabengele). And Samanic may be better than them.

Getting Samanic and KJ was a home run as far as I'm concerned (even if the order seems reversed).

ceperez
06-21-2019, 09:20 AM
Samanic highlights show some hints of Manu's game. Fluid yet athletic. I think it was a smart pick. Theyve known him for years, struggles like many to standout in euroleague play but he is 19. He kills in the first day of the draft combine, Spurs tell him to shut down and they will take him 1st. Spurs probably didnt see little drop to them but I'm sure they keep their draft promises. Dont want Samanic in the stands like "WTF". Sad about Bol Bol. That is just ridiculous t ok get invited and drafted 44.

He's 19 and doesn't hit 20 until January. He's still growing into his body. His wingspan isn't going to get longer though! He's got elite vertical and he's 6'10". Also should have good fundamentals coming from European basketball. I like the gamble that seeks upside.

Rummpd
06-21-2019, 09:27 AM
ESPN https://www.espn.com/nba/draft/rounds

Luka 29
OVR RK
Pre-Draft Analysis
Strengths
- Great size for a modern big man at 6-11 with an improved frame and an 8-11 standing reach, which should allow him to play either big spot as he continues to mature physically. Extremely light on his feet. Incredible coordination for a player his size. Moves fluidly on both ends of the floor. Capable of playing above the rim in space.

- Does a little bit of everything on offense. Can push off the break, make a standstill 3, attack slower-footed bigs off the dribble, operate in the post and make basic reads. Agility, positional handle and shooting potential should make him a tough cover with NBA spacing. Can move him all over the floor because of his mobility and skill level.

- Greatly improved defensive toughness. Has the feet to switch comfortably on the perimeter.

Improvement areas
- Can do a little bit of everything but doesn't quite have an elite skill. Career 31.9% from 3 on 332 attempts. Mechanics break down a bit when he's heavily contested. Confidence seems to come and go from the perimeter. Can make basic reads but not quite a great passer -- 2.0 assists and 3.0 turnovers per 40 minutes in 49 games last season. When he's not making shots, what does he do at a high level offensively?

- Doesn't always handle adversity well. When he misses his first couple shots, the wheels can come off quickly. Severe highs and lows over the course of his career.

- Doesn't always play through contact well. Can he finish through NBA physicality and over length? How will he react to defending the league's more traditional bigs?

Full scouting report Insider

Post-Draft Analysis
The Spurs have a long track record of drafting international players, and they decided to do it once again in picking Luka Samanic, one of the biggest standouts at this year's NBA combine. The Spurs have very little depth at the forward spots and might be able to spoon-feed minutes fairly early on to the Croatian player who is at an early stage of development physically and needs to continue to improve his skill level and basketball IQ.

Question marks about his toughness caused his stock to drop from the lottery to the second round in the midst of a difficult season in Slovenia, but he was able to rebound from that with a strong pre-draft process. His ability to make 3-point shots, switch on screens and create his own shot from the perimeter are attractive, considering he stands 6-foot-11. -- Jonathan Givony

Keldon
Pre-Draft Analysis
Strengths
- Has good physical tools for an NBA wing at 6-6, 216 pounds with a 6-9 wingspan and 8-8 standing reach. Strength and length should allow him to slide up to the power forward position at times in smaller lineups

- Aggressive, versatile player on both ends of the floor. Powerful attacking in a straight line or in the open floor. Capable outside shooter with feet set.

- Highly competitive rebounder and defender. Plays with toughness, intensity and confidence. Has a relatively high floor thanks to his dimensions, ability to guard and make an open shot.

Improvement areas
- Not yet a dynamic shooter at this stage, especially pulling up off the dribble or on the move. Has improved, but he's still very streaky (38% from 3; 70% on free throws). Doesn't have the quickest release.

- Powerful, but not an especially fluid or explosive athlete creating in the half-court. Struggles to create high-percentage offense for himself or others when he can't get by opponents in a straight line. Average passer.

- Energetic defender, but not the rangiest or most instinctive player around. Struggles at times to stay in front of smaller and quicker players.

Post-Draft Analysis
Keldon Johnson's surprising slide was halted by the Spurs, who always are on the lookout for toughness, perimeter shooting and defensive versatility. With very little depth at the small forward position, Johnson could push for minutes immediately, depending on which direction they head in free agency. -- Jonathan Givony

SpursDynasty85
06-21-2019, 09:54 AM
I think Spurs did pretty darn well when you consider fit. We comlpain because everybody's board and opinion on this year's draft is very and it's because the players all look like boom and bust prospects. Samanic I am positive as well as Johnson Spurs have dome of the nest tools out of the draft theyve had to work with since Kawhi. Let's see what happens because theoretically Spurs filled out exactly what they needed minus a bit more ready-to-play guys. Samanic/Gay/Bertans at PF, DeRozan, Johnson, Walker IV at SF, Murray, White, Forbes, Walker IV at 1 and 2. Well balanced roster set in two years. Need a veteran wing/pf to compete right away. Samanic makes Bertans very expendavle imo, so many we can pick up that player via sign and trades or with exception.

BackHome
06-21-2019, 11:22 AM
This draft only three players are guaranteed not to be a bust it was a weak draft I would be interested to see how many of the first rounders are out of the NBA in 3 years.

cjw
06-21-2019, 11:26 AM
If a player is the top guy on your board at 19, and you have no reasonable offers to trade back (without guarantee that team right behind them like Boston or OKC doesn’t snatch him) and you can’t trade up from 29 to a spot you think you can get him at, then you draft him there.

Once Okeke went, and he went very early, the only other guy I liked at that spot was Thybulle. And Okeke is out most of next year, and in the Spurs system that likely meant two redshirt years.

Some wanted Clarke but I view him as a tweeter. Not an ideal fit at either SF or PF.

playblair
06-21-2019, 12:07 PM
spurs have broken draft promises before..........it recently happend a few drafts ago with a virgina tech player..........his aunt went to twitter to call out popovicj & rc for lying

Spur|n|Austin
06-21-2019, 12:10 PM

Terrible take, will not recommend to friends.

Joseph Kony
06-21-2019, 12:20 PM
Spurs picked him for a reason, he is obviously the player they wanted if he was there at 19 considering how long RC has been scouting him. most of you were crying when spurs drafted White too

tmtcsc
06-21-2019, 12:40 PM

Most scouting reports will tell you that Nassar Little is fucking trash and was terrible at UNC. He's not a smart player and will struggle for floor time on whatever team he joined. Regardless of Samanic being a reach, the Spurs weren't going to pick Little. That dude showed his true colors when he had to play legit competition. Forget all that HS phenom shit. It doesn't translate.

MannyIsGod
06-21-2019, 12:42 PM

How can anyone actually be critical of this team's draft history? Has any front office in the NBA ever done better?

cjw
06-21-2019, 12:49 PM

Yes, drafting Murray, White and Walker late in round one in three successive drafts is lazy.

Just stop.

Marcus Bryant
06-21-2019, 01:03 PM
How can anyone actually be critical of this team's draft history? Has any front office in the NBA ever done better?

:tu Jokers ignore that and pretend the Spurs just drafted Yinka Dare and Alfrederick Hughes. This team just made the playoffs for like the 30th straight year. There’s ample cause to delete about half the posters here for rank stupidity.

Marcus Bryant
06-21-2019, 01:11 PM
Not saying it’s perfect but losing your shit about mid to late 1st round picks when maybe 30% of all 1st rounders end up being actual NBA players is retarded.

SAGirl
06-21-2019, 01:13 PM
ESPN https://www.espn.com/nba/draft/rounds

Luka 29
OVR RK
Pre-Draft Analysis
Strengths
- Great size for a modern big man at 6-11 with an improved frame and an 8-11 standing reach, which should allow him to play either big spot as he continues to mature physically. Extremely light on his feet. Incredible coordination for a player his size. Moves fluidly on both ends of the floor. Capable of playing above the rim in space.

- Does a little bit of everything on offense. Can push off the break, make a standstill 3, attack slower-footed bigs off the dribble, operate in the post and make basic reads. Agility, positional handle and shooting potential should make him a tough cover with NBA spacing. Can move him all over the floor because of his mobility and skill level.

- Greatly improved defensive toughness. Has the feet to switch comfortably on the perimeter.

Improvement areas
- Can do a little bit of everything but doesn't quite have an elite skill. Career 31.9% from 3 on 332 attempts. Mechanics break down a bit when he's heavily contested. Confidence seems to come and go from the perimeter. Can make basic reads but not quite a great passer -- 2.0 assists and 3.0 turnovers per 40 minutes in 49 games last season. When he's not making shots, what does he do at a high level offensively?

- Doesn't always handle adversity well. When he misses his first couple shots, the wheels can come off quickly. Severe highs and lows over the course of his career.

- Doesn't always play through contact well. Can he finish through NBA physicality and over length? How will he react to defending the league's more traditional bigs?

Post-Draft Analysis
The Spurs have a long track record of drafting international players, and they decided to do it once again in picking Luka Samanic, one of the biggest standouts at this year's NBA combine. The Spurs have very little depth at the forward spots and might be able to spoon-feed minutes fairly early on to the Croatian player who is at an early stage of development physically and needs to continue to improve his skill level and basketball IQ.

Question marks about his toughness caused his stock to drop from the lottery to the second round in the midst of a difficult season in Slovenia, but he was able to rebound from that with a strong pre-draft process. His ability to make 3-point shots, switch on screens and create his own shot from the perimeter are attractive, considering he stands 6-foot-11. -- Jonathan Givony

Keldon
Pre-Draft Analysis
Strengths
- Has good physical tools for an NBA wing at 6-6, 216 pounds with a 6-9 wingspan and 8-8 standing reach. Strength and length should allow him to slide up to the power forward position at times in smaller lineups

- Aggressive, versatile player on both ends of the floor. Powerful attacking in a straight line or in the open floor. Capable outside shooter with feet set.

- Highly competitive rebounder and defender. Plays with toughness, intensity and confidence. Has a relatively high floor thanks to his dimensions, ability to guard and make an open shot.

Improvement areas
- Not yet a dynamic shooter at this stage, especially pulling up off the dribble or on the move. Has improved, but he's still very streaky (38% from 3; 70% on free throws). Doesn't have the quickest release.

- Powerful, but not an especially fluid or explosive athlete creating in the half-court. Struggles to create high-percentage offense for himself or others when he can't get by opponents in a straight line. Average passer.

- Energetic defender, but not the rangiest or most instinctive player around. Struggles at times to stay in front of smaller and quicker players.

Post-Draft Analysis
Keldon Johnson's surprising slide was halted by the Spurs, who always are on the lookout for toughness, perimeter shooting and defensive versatility. With very little depth at the small forward position, Johnson could push for minutes immediately, depending on which direction they head in free agency. -- Jonathan Givony
Thanks so much for sharing. Samanic is a pick based on potential rather than track record.

Spurs need to gamble a little on potential at this point so I am fine with that.

The guy is very young and needs to develop in the areas where his “potential” project him as a great modern big. He should be interesting to watch develop at least, I hope.

Chucho
06-21-2019, 02:06 PM
:tu Jokers ignore that and pretend the Spurs just drafted Yinka Dare and Alfrederick Hughes. This team just made the playoffs for like the 30th straight year. There’s ample cause to delete about half the posters here for rank stupidity.

ST boiled down, tbh.

kobyz
06-21-2019, 04:14 PM
we missed out on a perfect draft by one spot, Goga and Kelden would have been a perfect draft, now it's only B-...

rascal
06-21-2019, 07:28 PM

The Spurs seldom make trades. Way too conservative of an organization.

offset formation
06-21-2019, 09:13 PM
High ceiling prospect.

Drafting at 19 is a matter of opinion which way to go. Get a solid, all around, not great but probably pretty good player or get a guy who's ceiling is NBA all-star or 6th man of the year potential while also knowing the guy could bust completely.

That decision depends on the current state of your team. A team w/ a solid foundation, other potential all-stars and good defense can afford to take the risk. Can the 2023 and beyond Spurs? When Gay, DeRozan and LMA are gone and the draft pics from this and the past 2 years ARE the team, will Luka be worth the risk?

That is my question.

There were better or at least projected to be better/safer/higher floor players available at 19. Quite a few IMO. Luka at 29 is a good pick - almost a steal; but at 19 he's a reach. But more importantly, when Anthony Davis and Kawhi are in the West in 3 years, who's gonna defend them for 40 minutes? Some 6'8" SF prospect we haven't drafted yet? When Harden comes off the pick and roll, is Luka guarding his step back? Westbrook and George (even a slower one) gonna be problems too? Luka Doncic and Porzingas? Hell, not even sure about Booker, Ayton and Oubre.

Solid post. Agree completely

Spurtacular
06-23-2019, 05:24 AM
https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/2019-nba-draft-grades-live-updates-and-pick-by-pick-evaluations-for-every-first-and-second-round-selection/

They gave the Samanic pick a C saying that it was a reach at 19th with the Johnson and Weatherspoon picks an A. Most other sites have Samanic as a C as well but none of them are going as far as to call it a terrible pick purely based on PATFO's track record. Still, they're not justifying the pick either based on Samanic's upside. The other sites also mostly give us B's to A's for the other two saying they were value picks. CBS seems to think Weatherspoon is a steal for the 2nd round.

None of them want to eat sh** if he's the next euro star. But I had no problem calling it a likely terrible pick, tbh.

EricB
06-24-2019, 01:58 AM

They see Kristaps Porzingis. Except someone that doesn’t think he’s god’s gift to basketball and wants to be treated like one.

EricB
06-24-2019, 01:59 AM
The Spurs seldom make trades. Way too conservative of an organization.

Spoken like Ike someone who has no ducking clue what’s going on. It takes two teams to make trades dipshit.

SpurPadre
06-25-2019, 09:19 PM
Via NBADraftnet:
Spurs
A-
19. Luka Samanic
29. Keldon Johnson
49. Quinndary Weatherspoon

Criticize San Antonio's drafts at your own peril. They generally develop players as well as if not better than any team in the league with the preeminent shot doctor and player development staff going. The Spurs missed out on their top target Goga who went a spot higher, but landed Croatian forward Luka Samanic. He may have been a slight reach at 19 but then the Spurs nabbed a falling Keldon Johnson at 29 to redeem themselves. Both picks would have been less surprising if they were flip-flopped. Samanic is an intriguing European prospect who fits the mold of a Spurs guy but he was slated to go around the turn of the second round. Johnson had some lotto buzz so this was a great pickup for the Spurs as they get a guy who can score and defend well with a great deal of room to grow. In the second round, the Spurs took Weatherspoon, a wing from Mississippi State who can score in a variety of ways. All three players figure to benefit greatly being on the Spurs.

EricB
06-26-2019, 02:19 AM
Goga Bitadze was not their top pick. At all. That BS needs to stop.