1. Samanic
2. Lonnie Walker
3. Murray
4. White
5. Johnson
6. Poetl

Cardinal
06-21-2019, 11:37 AM
I'd flip Walker and Samanic but otherwise I think this is on point.

4lifecowboy
06-21-2019, 11:43 AM
1) Walker
2) Samanic
3) Murray
4) Johnson
5) White
6) Poetl

r0drig0lac
06-21-2019, 12:01 PM
1) Walker
2) Samanic
3) Murray
4) Johnson
5) White
6) Poetl

RC_Drunkford
06-21-2019, 12:24 PM
1) Walker
2) Samanic
3) Murray
4) Johnson
5) White
6) Poetl

that would be my list as well

Russ
06-21-2019, 12:35 PM
1. Samanic
2. Lonnie Walker
3. Murray
4. White
5. Johnson
6. Poetl

Walker seems a bit high and you're missing someone . . .

Dejounte
06-21-2019, 12:37 PM

Who? Forbes??? Dude has hit his ceiling...

buujness
06-21-2019, 12:38 PM
1) Walker
2) Samanic
3) Murray
4) Johnson
5) White
6) Poetl

picnroll
06-21-2019, 12:44 PM
Who? Forbes??? Dude has hit his ceiling...
Not saying where he would rank, potential-wise I’d probably say bottom but what makes you say he’s reached his ceiling. He’s improved every year, including last year and the average NBA player doesn’t peak until 28 or so.

Mugen
06-21-2019, 12:48 PM

:lmao Please tell me you're talking about Bryn

Mugen
06-21-2019, 12:49 PM
It's:

1. Walker
2. Samancic
3. DWhite
4. Murray
5. Johnson / Poetl

GreekSpursfan
06-21-2019, 12:52 PM
Forbes was great in game 7 vs Denver and fearless. If we are going by the moto, what have you done for me lately, he definitely should be in there.
I agree that on paper Samanic has the most upside, after him i would go Murray, then White because bball IQ is very important and he has the best out of all of them.

Play Boban
06-21-2019, 12:55 PM
:lmao at all the Flat Earther slurpers. :lol

Samanic is better than Flat Earther RIGHT NOW, and that gap is only going to widen tbh.

Dejounte
06-21-2019, 12:59 PM

Samanic is better than Flat Earther RIGHT NOW, and that gap is only going to widen tbh.

Who the hell is flat earther and why?

cjw
06-21-2019, 01:02 PM
The fact that we’re able to rank a guy who’s made an All D team or a guy who’s scored 36 in a playoff game third or fourth should be pretty telling. Amazing job of reloading with no lottery picks.

SpurPadre
06-21-2019, 01:04 PM
Forbes was great in game 7 vs Denver and fearless. If we are going by the moto, what have you done for me lately, he definitely should be in there.
I agree that on paper Samanic has the most upside, after him i would go Murray, then White because bball IQ is very important and he has the best out of all of them.

Well, if you're going by what have you done for me lately, then you should have White last after his disastrous Game 7 benching.

SpurPadre
06-21-2019, 01:08 PM
Wow, you guys are overranking the fuck out of Samanic.

1. Murray

2. Walker
3. White (I'd have him ahead of Walker but he's going to be 25 in a couple of weeks)
4. Johnson
5. Samanic
6. Poetl

TDomination
06-21-2019, 01:08 PM
I agree with this.
He showed us something in that series. I hope he’s able to carry it over to this year and improve.

Chinook
06-21-2019, 01:22 PM
Four tiers:

Walker

Samanic, Murray

White, Johnson, Poeltl

Metu, Weatherspoon, Moore, Eubanks

SpurPadre
06-21-2019, 01:24 PM
I agree with this.
He showed us something in that series. I hope he’s able to carry it over to this year and improve.

I had been the biggest Forbes hater in this forum but he showed me something in that series, too. Still, he belongs in the bench and should not start for the rest of his career.

SAGirl
06-21-2019, 01:27 PM
Some of them haven’t played a second in the Spurs yet and others very little. Primes myself to get too high or too low on someone (that’s my problem, not anybody else’s but still it’s why I don’t like this kind of thread.)

Also, unfortunately fosters the player fanning of “my guy is better than your guy.”

Going to go by what they do on the team. Hope to see each one get their chance. Hopefully they push each other too. That’s a great environment to watch basketball in. I look forward to watching them all.

Also, next season is going to be too soon to cast judgment on some of them too. Just IMO.

Immortal Spur
06-21-2019, 01:30 PM
Four tiers:

Walker

Samanic, Murray

White, Johnson, Poeltl

i agree with this

Chucho
06-21-2019, 01:33 PM
Didn't know people were so high on Walker. I don't see it , but definitely always want to be wrong about players when it's to the team's benefit.

SAGirl
06-21-2019, 01:33 PM
Four tiers:

Walker

Samanic, Murray

White, Johnson, Poeltl

Milutinov not in the core? Forbes neither? For a guy who has played so much for Pop and is trusted and hyped up so much by Pop he ought to be somewhere and you know I was critical of him... how about Davis? Once considered for a 4/20 mill year surely the Spurs saw a future with him.

I suppose you don’t mention them bc their potential is reached or they are doubtful to stay?

Chinook
06-21-2019, 01:39 PM
Milutinov not in the core? Forbes neither? For a guy who has played so much for Pop and is trusted and hyped up so much by Pop he ought to be somewhere and you know I was critical of him... how about Davis? Once considered for a 4/20 mill year surely the Spurs saw a future with him.

I suppose you don’t mention them bc their potential is reached or they are doubtful to stay?

Forbes is just a player on the team. I'm not really looking at him as a "young guy" anymore. I like Bryn a lot and think he may be on the team for a long time. But I consider him an established vet. Same with Bertans, though I don't know that he's long for the team. Really, I'm considering the core guy the Spurs still consider prospects rather than players. Maybe White shouldn't count either, but as long as he's going to be competing with Murray and Walker for minutes, I guess it makes sense to note his spot in the leaderboard.

I'm not putting Milutinov in any "core" discussions until/unless he joins the club. As of right now, his draft status is nearly meaningless considering that he's competing with regular free agents for a salary slot.

SAGirl
06-21-2019, 01:41 PM
The fact that we’re able to rank a guy who’s made an All D team or a guy who’s scored 36 in a playoff game third or fourth should be pretty telling. Amazing job of reloading with no lottery picks.
I do feel like White has an excellent feel for the game that can’t be taught and played really well for his practical inaugural season. He’s underrated. Feel like Dejounte has already achieved things that others may never do too and he was still improving when he got injured. Hate to judge someone just on potential alone. I am probably not very good at it either and I am not claiming to be. But Dejounte showed something early his rebound and steal rate was very high as a youngster and White had developed into an NBA prospect and dominated low competition b4 either were in the Spurs.

GreekSpursfan
06-21-2019, 01:44 PM
Well, if you're going by what have you done for me lately, then you should have White last after his disastrous Game 7 benching.

I'm saying he should be included in the list not be one of the best, he could be last but he should be in there, he showed something.

GreekSpursfan
06-21-2019, 01:47 PM
I agree with this.

Yes, he showed up in the playoffs but he needs to improve on that, we agree.

SAGirl
06-21-2019, 01:47 PM
Forbes is just a player on the team. I'm not really looking at him as a "young guy" anymore. I like Bryn a lot and think he may be on the team for a long time. But I consider him an established vet. Same with Bertans, though I don't know that he's long for the team. Really, I'm considering the core guy the Spurs still consider prospects rather than players. Maybe White shouldn't count either, but as long as he's going to be competing with Murray and Walker for minutes, I guess it makes sense to note his spot in the leaderboard.

I'm not putting Milutinov in any "core" discussions until/unless he joins the club. As of right now, his draft status is nearly meaningless considering that he's competing with regular free agents for a salary slot.
Reasonable answer. Makes sense

4lifecowboy
06-21-2019, 01:53 PM
The question was Potential ceiling right?

GreekSpursfan
06-21-2019, 01:54 PM
I'm not as high on Walker as some others here, from what we have seen his bball IQ is very questionable on both ends and his injury history is not good, i would put him just above Johnson and Johnson would be my last guy unless we put Forbes in there and in that case Forbes would be the last on the list. I'm not a hater of anyone of these guys and i root for them to succeed and prove me wrong.

Dejounte
06-21-2019, 02:00 PM
Wow, you guys are overranking the fuck out of Samanic.

1. Murray

2. Walker
3. White (I'd have him ahead of Walker but he's going to be 25 in a couple of weeks)
4. Johnson
5. Samanic
6. Poetl

If Samanic was your run of the mill 1 dimensional 3 pt shooter with occasional dunks, i would agree with you. But Samanic has a skillset thats not common among players with his size and athleticism. He literally towers over most players.

Dejounte
06-21-2019, 02:04 PM
Look at how tall Samanic is next to Rui

https://www.instagram.com/p/ByJWiNBF_A6/?igshid=1jwf5nffvydru

Roscoe P. Coltrane
06-21-2019, 02:07 PM
Samanic
White
Murray
Poetl
Johnson
Uebanks
Forbes
Witherspoon
Metu
Walker

Prime BEEF
06-21-2019, 02:14 PM
I think only Murray and White will still be on the spurs roster in 3yrs

Samanic, Walker, Johnson probably won’t even be in the league. I think Poetl will still be in the league but on a different team.

acoelho1
06-21-2019, 02:14 PM
1a. Murray
1b. Walker
2. White
3. Samanic
4. Poetl
5. Metu
6. Johnson

Dejounte
06-21-2019, 02:15 PM

Samanic, Walker, Johnson probably won’t even be in the league. I think Poetl will still be in the league but on a different team.

Well arent you a little sunshine

Roscoe P. Coltrane
06-21-2019, 02:23 PM

Samanic is better than Flat Earther RIGHT NOW, and that gap is only going to widen tbh.Walker is a younger version of J Simmons.

r0drig0lac
06-21-2019, 02:38 PM

no way

Jsmythe
06-21-2019, 02:55 PM
1. Murray
2. Poeltl
3. Samanic
4. White
5. Walker
6. Johnson
7. Weatherspoon
8. Metu

* Murray still has lots of room to improve and I think he can do it.
* Poeltl showed flashes of great play last year, but he needs to get more consistent and develop a midrange game.
* Samanic I don't know what his potential is until I see him play more, but for now I put him at #3.
* White is pretty good now but I feel like he is near his ceiling already. He needs to get his 3PT% up to 38-40%.
* Walker from what I've seen in the G-League isn't nearly as good as anyone on the list above him. He still could improve a bunch but I haven't seen it yet in his first year. He shoots too many low percentage mid-range shots for my liking, but maybe that can be fixed.
* Johnson, Weatherspoon: Unknowns
* Metu: Hasn't shown any real improvement in his first year.

JeffDuncan
06-21-2019, 05:28 PM

Derrick White's contract runs through the '20-'21 season, and the Spurs will keep him until then. The Spurs will then make him a lowball offer, because that's all they'll be able to afford, since PATFO is so inept at the financial side of the biz. White will get a much better offer from some other team, and he'll leave. So, for the '21-'22 season White will be elsewhere.

Murray's contract ends after next season. The Spurs will do whatever it takes to keep him, including a Max deal.

Walker's contract runs until '21-'22 (team option.) The Spurs will keep him until then, at which point it will depend on how expensive he's become. The Spurs probably won't be able to afford him at that point.

Keldon Johnson will be in the league forever. He'll be a journeyman, good enough to get offers every season, but not good enough to stick long-term with anybody (including the Spurs.) He could play here and there until he's near 40.

Poeltl's contract expires at the end of '19-'20. Centers will still be cheap, and he won't attract major interest from elsewhere, so the Spurs will probably then sign him to a 3-year medium-price deal. After that, he could rattle around elsewhere for a while.

Samanic? He'll end up with the Mavericks.

cjw
06-21-2019, 05:29 PM
I’m in same boat on Walker. He didn’t show anything that makes me think he’s going to be way better than either Murray or White.

Dejounte
06-21-2019, 05:50 PM
Derrick White's contract runs through the '20-'21 season, and the Spurs will keep him until then. The Spurs will then make him a lowball offer, because that's all they'll be able to afford, since PATFO is so inept at the financial side of the biz. White will get a much better offer from some other team, and he'll leave. So, for the '21-'22 season White will be elsewhere.

Murray's contract ends after next season. The Spurs will do whatever it takes to keep him, including a Max deal.

Walker's contract runs until '21-'22 (team option.) The Spurs will keep him until then, at which point it will depend on how expensive he's become. The Spurs probably won't be able to afford him at that point.

Keldon Johnson will be in the league forever. He'll be a journeyman, good enough to get offers every season, but not good enough to stick long-term with anybody (including the Spurs.) He could play here and there until he's near 40.

Poeltl's contract expires at the end of '19-'20. Centers will still be cheap, and he won't attract major interest from elsewhere, so the Spurs will probably then sign him to a 3-year medium-price deal. After that, he could rattle around elsewhere for a while.

Samanic? He'll end up with the Mavericks.

Is this satire?

Btw, Derrick embodies the Spurs way. Hes a Spur for life. He totally embraces San Antonio.

timvp
06-21-2019, 05:54 PM
Damn, you guys have White low on your lists. He's older but his ceiling is someone who can score, pass and defend at a high level with an extremely high basketball IQ. We haven't seen enough from any of the others to say they have a higher potential, unless you're maxing out the unknown aspects to the 100% possible ceiling.

1) Walker
2) Samanic
3) Murray
4) Johnson
5) White
6) Poetl

https://i.imgur.com/fv3deWh.gif

south side spur
06-21-2019, 06:02 PM
Yeah let’s throw an undrafted net negative Forbes in with all the first round picks. When will this ridiculous love for Forbes end? Forget Forbes. For years everyone has been BEGGING the Spurs to bring in young talent and they’ve delivered. Just appreciate that fact. Hopefully Forbes gets a job with the coaching staff. He’d be a great video coordinator.

JeffDuncan
06-21-2019, 06:08 PM
Is this satire?

Umm, maybe a tad. Not totally.

But I dare anybody to look at the Spurs roster and then explain, in a sensible step-by-step way, why the team has so little cap space.

Btw, Derrick embodies the Spurs way. Hes a Spur for life. He totally embraces San Antonio.

Sure. It's wonderful that he's so much like DDR in Toronto.

But you were doing satire there, right?

Dejounte
06-21-2019, 06:19 PM
Umm, maybe a tad. Not totally.

But I dare anybody to look at the Spurs roster and then explain, in a sensible step-by-step way, why the team has so little cap space.

Sure. It's wonderful that he's so much like DDR in Toronto.

But you were doing satire there, right?

Because we have vets who happen to be stars who are declining? I honestly believe theres a big impact there from DeMar and Aldridge being on this team for the young core. Its possibly the exact reason why White rose to the occasion last year since he saw how these vets prepare.

Joseph Kony
06-21-2019, 06:45 PM
Walker - All-NBA potential

Samanic - Legit perennial all-star/top 20 player potential
White/Murray - Fringe all-star/top 50 player/All-defensive teamers

Poeltl - Solid starter
Johnson - Solid starter/bench guy