PDA

View Full Version : Mega Millions lottery winner has to share $15 million of the jackpot with his ex-wife

phxspurfan
06-21-2019, 03:31 PM
https://www.cnn.com/2019/06/21/us/lottery-divorce-split-trnd/index.html

In 2013, this Michigan man won the Mega Millions lotto for 38 million (or .76 Patty Mills) and divorce lawyer gets him for 15 million (or .3 Patty Mills) to wife, who separated from him in '09 and started formal divorce proceedings in 2011.

It's true that Zelasko spent $1 to buy the winning ticket; however, "the dollar spent was arguably marital money and, as such, a joint investment," the arbitrator said.

What say, you, court of SpursTalk. Your verdict is due.

Chucho
06-21-2019, 03:35 PM
Well, now he has enough money to kill her.

GAustex
06-21-2019, 03:47 PM
One may wonder if she had won that he would get $15 M?

Reck
06-21-2019, 05:04 PM
Well, now he has enough money to kill her.

He is still playing with house money so who cares.

Spends 1 dollar, wins 38 millions, the state get their share, wife gets her share and this dude still walks away with 10+ millions. It's a win win win.

Millennial_Messiah
06-21-2019, 05:54 PM
I say fuck females and their "everything should be 50/50" bullshit when they never do jack shit but sit around and play with their hair and watch TV and rehash old memories with their shitty family on snapchat all day.

Mitch
06-21-2019, 08:22 PM
Pretty fucked since they were separated since 2009, but it says the divorce was finalized in 2018 so the law is the law. Most important thing to do, if you win the lotto, is hire a top notch lawyer who can help you conceal your identity when claiming the prize. Nobody wants to buy their long lost cousin a yacht before you can even enjoy the cash :lol

At least he's got 15m to play with, that's enough to live your entire life very comfortably and get your kids a great head start.

SpursforSix
06-21-2019, 10:24 PM
Pretty fucked since they were separated since 2009, but it says the divorce was finalized in 2018 so the law is the law. Most important thing to do, if you win the lotto, is hire a top notch lawyer who can help you conceal your identity when claiming the prize. Nobody wants to buy their long lost cousin a yacht before you can even enjoy the cash :lol

At least he's got 15m to play with, that's enough to live your entire life very comfortably and get your kids a great head start.

He’s got 23 million

Reck
06-21-2019, 10:26 PM
He’s got 23 million

Nah. Uncle Sam demands his due.

After all the taxes and all the state bullshit, he'll be more even with the wife than anything else. Still a substantial win.

MultiTroll
06-21-2019, 10:55 PM
wife, who separated from him in '09 and started formal divorce proceedings in 2011.Divorce finalized in 2018.
7 years? WTF is the backstory on that?

Also, has dude had any access to his winning money since 2013?

SpursforSix
06-22-2019, 04:09 PM
Nah. Uncle Sam demands his due.

After all the taxes and all the state bullshit, he'll be more even with the wife than anything else. Still a substantial win.

The article said 38+ mil after taxes. That’s the net.

DeadlyDynasty
06-22-2019, 05:05 PM
He is still playing with house money so who cares.

Spends 1 dollar, wins 38 millions, the state get their share, wife gets her share and this dude still walks away with 10+ millions. It's a win win win.
:lmao

DeadlyDynasty
06-22-2019, 05:14 PM
"Aww shucks, I did alright too so sure she can have $15 mil of my money for no earthly reason." What man--even in today's society--would have that mentality?

SpursforSix
06-22-2019, 05:27 PM
"Aww shucks, I did alright too so sure she can have $15 mil of my money for no earthly reason." What man--even in today's society--would have that mentality?

I’d be pissed for sure but the law is the law. Everyone should be aware of it going into marriage. And he may have been part of the problem in it dragging out so long. When he realized he just won 80 mil, he should have thought a little bit longer on how it may play out and should have considered the potential for this issue. I’m sure he could have someone else claim the ticket with an agreement they’d only keep a few hundred thousand. But I suppose then he gets taxed on the 37 million and he’s worse than he is now. Idk.

In any event, if I have 23 million, I would hope I’m not bitter the rest of my life for not having 38. It’s not like he worked his ass if for it.

Reck
06-22-2019, 05:37 PM
The article said 38+ mil after taxes. That’s the net.

Oh wow. Even less reason to complain then.

Next time dont marry or get yourself a prenup. This guy got Kobe'd.

SpursforSix
06-22-2019, 06:15 PM
Oh wow. Even less reason to complain then.

Next time dont marry or get yourself a prenup. This guy got Kobe'd.

Yeah, if I had to split one million, I’d have some bitterness. But there’s a monetary threshold that once it’s crossed, I’d hopefully not give a fuck. At least not much of one. I think that threshold for me is the point where I clearly don’t have to work anymore unless I want to. I don’t know exactly what that number is but I know it’s less than 23 million.

Reck
06-22-2019, 07:52 PM
Yeah, if I had to split one million, I’d have some bitterness. But there’s a monetary threshold that once it’s crossed, I’d hopefully not give a fuck. At least not much of one. I think that threshold for me is the point where I clearly don’t have to work anymore unless I want to. I don’t know exactly what that number is but I know it’s less than 23 million.

Yeah the bitterness of having to share would probably go down easier if you had kids and you know all won't just be spent on the ex.

DMC
06-22-2019, 09:17 PM
The law of wealth management dictates they will both die sooner due to either drug overdose or being murdered by some online spouse con artist.

phxspurfan
06-23-2019, 12:56 AM
Yeah the bitterness of having to share would probably go down easier if you had kids and you know all won't just be spent on the ex.

The guy has a kid who is at least partially being raised by the ex. I assume most of the arbitration reasoning was based on helping raise that kid with the new financial windfall based on him spending that “shared” $1 expense