PDA

View Full Version : Manu may not play in opener

Kori Ellis
10-31-2005, 01:47 AM
Spurs Notebook

Web Posted: 10/31/2005 12:00 AM CST
San Antonio Express-News

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA103105.3E.Spursnotebook.11c9aae3.html

Ginobili's status uncertain for opener

Manu Ginobili missed practice Sunday because of a right quadriceps bruise, leaving his status for Tuesday's season opener as "somewhere between questionable to probable," Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said.

After being hit in the thigh during Saturday's practice, Ginobili was in too much pain to work out Sunday. He also was kneed in his left thigh during an Oct. 21 practice but played in the team's final three exhibition games.

"He got whacked pretty good," Popovich said of Ginobili's most recent bruise. "We'll see how he is tomorrow."

Two players back: Nazr Mohammed and Bruce Bowen have rejoined the team after attending to family business.

Mohammed played in only three of the Spurs' nine exhibition games, but he has looked fairly good in practice the past two days.

"I expected him to be in much worse shape and maybe forget a few things," Popovich said. "But he's been in much better shape than I thought. I've been pleasantly surprised."

Popovich said Rasho Nesterovic would still start in place of Mohammed against Denver on Tuesday in the team's regular-season opener.

Solid D
10-31-2005, 01:53 AM
Manu gets kneed quite often on screens...usually the Bigs nail him. I'm not sure if that's what happened on these two occasions (21st and 29th) but he gets more than his share of them.

Sense
10-31-2005, 02:00 AM
I'm starting to think more and more that Manu won't play.....

Even as a probable that is, Pop wants him healthy.... and they are facing the Nuggets...

HB22inSA
10-31-2005, 02:15 AM
Oh, boy, do we have to endure another season of Manu is hurt, tired, etc.?

Pop: "Manu is doubtful for tonight with a strained hair follicle."

I thought he was so well rested and healthy and blah blah blah.

At this rate, Manu's career will last exactly 2 more seasons before his "untimely" retirement.

Here we go again.

sprrs
10-31-2005, 02:22 AM
Oh, boy, do we have to endure another season of Manu is hurt, tired, etc.?

Pop: "Manu is doubtful for tonight with a strained hair follicle."

I thought he was so well rested and healthy and blah blah blah.

At this rate, Manu's career will last exactly 2 more seasons before his "untimely" retirement.

Here we go again.

I'd rather have him sit out this game then tiring himself out this early in the season, especially since the way he plays isn't exactly going to keep him healthy all season.

Besides, it'll give Nuggets fans a better look at what they could have gotten in Fin :angel

Vashner
10-31-2005, 02:26 AM
Told ya long pre-season has too much injury risk

Kori Ellis
10-31-2005, 02:30 AM
Told ya long pre-season has too much injury risk

Both times he's gotten hurt so far have been in practice. They'd still be practicing whether it was a long or a short preseason.

angel_luv
10-31-2005, 10:27 AM
Popovich said Rasho Nesterovic would still start in place of Mohammed against Denver on Tuesday in the team's regular-season opener.

:elephant :elephant :elephant :elephant :elephant :elephant :elephant :elephant

FromWayDowntown
10-31-2005, 10:31 AM
If Rasho and Manu both start on Tuesday night, it will be the third straight year that Parker, Ginobili, Bowen, Duncan, and Nesterovic have started the opener.

How very old school of the Spurs.

sa_butta
10-31-2005, 10:57 AM
They said he was probable on the news last night. But it is better not to risk further injury this early.

Jdspur20
10-31-2005, 11:14 AM
Popovich said Rasho Nesterovic would still start in place of Mohammed against Denver on Tuesday in the team's regular-season opener.[/B]

i think it will be a matter of about 2 or 3 games before we see nazr start. i think that pop is favoring nazr, but rasho has been working and playing and hasn't missed any time this off-season.

Oh, Gee!!
10-31-2005, 11:19 AM
Let him rest. The season is long.

picnroll
10-31-2005, 11:35 AM
This thigh bruising is continuous. Why doesn't Manu wear a small thigh pad?

Vashner
10-31-2005, 11:43 AM
Agree, but my point was like the stress to joints and stuff. Even if in practice the additional games give you a bigger chance of injury during a long season.

Kori Ellis
10-31-2005, 11:47 AM
Manu pretty much gets banged up every other game or so. I think no matter how long or how short the season is, or however much he is rested in the offseason, it will always be that way. That's why Pop has said he'll regulate his minutes this year just like he has in the past. I think Manu will miss games here and there, not play in back-to-backs sometimes, and hover around 29 minutes a game during the regular season. But I don't really care as long as Playoff Manu emerges come April.:)

Vashner
10-31-2005, 11:49 AM
Sorry I guess I am injury paranoid after last years Tim outage.

2centsworth
10-31-2005, 11:55 AM
Sometimes the best way to heal a bruise to the thigh is to play through it. He probably gets the start and they will see how he feels.

ducks
10-31-2005, 11:57 AM
Manu pretty much gets banged up every other game or so. I think no matter how long or how short the season is, or however much he is rested in the offseason, it will always be that way. That's why Pop has said he'll regulate his minutes this year just like he has in the past. I think Manu will miss games here and there, not play in back-to-backs sometimes, and hover around 29 minutes a game during the regular season. But I don't really care as long as Playoff Manu emerges come April.:)

that is why I do not see him averaging 20 points per game

angel_luv
10-31-2005, 12:52 PM
i think it will be a matter of about 2 or 3 games before we see nazr start. i think that pop is favoring nazr, but rasho has been working and playing and hasn't missed any time this off-season.

This is nice. At least for these two days I know for sure Rasho is not getting traded.

dbreiden83080
10-31-2005, 01:07 PM
If Manu is getting hurt recklessely playing in practice then Pop should have him really practice light. Run sprints and do shooting drills, save up all the reckless energy for the games.

thispego
10-31-2005, 01:21 PM
el contusion strikes again

batman2883
10-31-2005, 01:28 PM
ha ha ha ha pego has his baby pic on his sig

thispego
10-31-2005, 01:33 PM
lololol

HB22inSA
10-31-2005, 04:34 PM
I think it's time for Manu to take Allen Iverson's view on practice...

ducks
10-31-2005, 04:48 PM
manu better dress up if he is not playing

1Parker1
10-31-2005, 05:53 PM
Alright, which Spur kneed Manu so hard in practice? :lol

boutons
10-31-2005, 06:03 PM
"heal a bruise to the thigh is to play through it"

Shaq's thigh contusion was so bad last playoffs that there was talk about it calcifying.

Remember how Manu got kneed in Finals Game3 on nearly the first play? Beginning of a nightmare loss, but he played through it.

I'd really like to see Tim and Manu with at least longish knee pads, like Magic used to wear.

Extra Stout
10-31-2005, 06:23 PM
If Manu is getting hurt recklessely playing in practice then Pop should have him really practice light. Run sprints and do shooting drills, save up all the reckless energy for the games.I disagree. The Spurs' second team is one of the toughest opponents the Spurs' first team will see all year.

Truly great teams hone their edge with their practice habits. It'll pay off.