PDA

View Full Version : Thaddeus Young - 2019 Free Agent

timvp
06-24-2019, 02:17 AM
https://ak-static.cms.nba.com/wp-content/uploads/headshots/nba/latest/260x190/201152.png

Thaddeus Young
Position: PF
Height: 6-foot-8
Weight: 221 pounds
College: Georgia Tech
Years Pro: 12

Stats (https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/y/youngth01.html)

slick'81
06-24-2019, 02:18 AM
Need to see what the pacers cap situation looks like

JeffDuncan
06-24-2019, 02:20 AM
Last contract, $13.8 million. Not cheap.

mo7888
06-24-2019, 08:46 AM
If we get bogdanovic and can't get Aminu then maybe for the mle.

cd021
06-24-2019, 09:09 AM
If we get bogdanovic and can't get Aminu then maybe for the mle.

Unless we sign and trade for Bojan then we couldn't use the MLE too.

mo7888
06-24-2019, 09:12 AM
Unless we sign and trade for Bojan then we couldn't use the MLE too.

My understanding is if we s&t for bogdanovic then we still have the mle available.

GreekSpursfan
06-24-2019, 09:25 AM
We won't get Bojan so we might settle for this guy, great defender, zero skills offensively not even as a spot up shooter

Dverde
06-24-2019, 10:02 AM
We’d be lucky to get him. Professional and quality character guy.

benefactor
06-24-2019, 11:38 AM
ST has been in love with this guy forever tbh

phxspurfan
06-24-2019, 12:41 PM
Always liked him, but don't see him coming here unless we get rid of a piece or two and take a big salary (like in a trade).

cd021
06-24-2019, 01:13 PM
My understanding is if we s&t for bogdanovic then we still have the mle available.

Yes. Basically, convince Bojan to agree to terms on a deal with the Spurs and then engage Indiana with an S&T for Beli and Bertans. Would still have the MLE in that situation and an extra roster spot.

Dverde
06-24-2019, 01:53 PM
Yes. Basically, convince Bojan to agree to terms on a deal with the Spurs and then engage Indiana with an S&T for Beli and Bertans. Would still have the MLE in that situation and an extra roster spot.

We could offer Bertans on a nine finger discount.

MoSpur02
06-24-2019, 02:11 PM
This would be my first choice

DesignatedT
06-24-2019, 02:22 PM
Yes please. Full MLE. Then give the lower level exception (if that's still a thing) to a veteran SF like DeMarre Carroll. Move Belinelli and Bertans for some cap relief and get to something like this:

White Mills
Murray Forbes Walker
DeRozan Carroll Johnson
Young Gay Samanic
Aldridge Poeltl Eubanks

cd021
06-24-2019, 03:11 PM
Yes please. Full MLE. Then give the lower level exception (if that's still a thing) to a veteran SF like DeMarre Carroll. Move Belinelli and Bertans for some cap relief and get to something like this:

White Mills
Murray Forbes Walker
DeRozan Carroll Johnson
Young Gay Samanic
Aldridge Poeltl Eubanks

I really don't think Carroll would take the LLE (which we do not have to give, because we used it last summer) his floor is probably at least $6 million. Thad Young is making more than $9.2 million unless he wants to content for a chip.

RC_Drunkford
06-24-2019, 03:53 PM
he ranks 2nd as my PF option after Marcus Morris. Hustle player, high bball IQ, good passer, good defender, ok 3-point shooter and most importantly: Left handed. Playing a lefty next to Aldridge makes too much sense

spurraider21
06-24-2019, 07:28 PM
nice player who'd primarily be competing with rudy, so doesnt make sense to pay both imho

i do like him, though, but seems like we're set on retaining rudy

sasaint
06-24-2019, 07:53 PM
I have wanted the Spurs to sign Young for years. Does he still have enough in the tank, and can we sign him to a reasonable deal?

JeffDuncan
06-24-2019, 09:09 PM
We could offer Bertans on a nine finger discount.

Dammit, every time I look at this thread I see that. And every time, it distracts me.

tbdog
06-24-2019, 09:30 PM
Haven't watched Young for ages as I don't follow Pacers. But I've always liked his game. The issue is due to our draft choice and likely to resign Gay, I don't see the point signing strictly a 4.

RC_Drunkford
06-24-2019, 09:45 PM
Haven't watched Young for ages as I don't follow Pacers. But I've always liked his game. The issue is due to our draft choice and likely to resign Gay, I don't see the point signing strictly a 4.

The point is that Gay comes off the bench and by playing DeRozan at the 3 (or Bogdanovic) you'd want the other starting forward to be a defender

DAF86
06-24-2019, 09:45 PM

White Mills
Murray Forbes Walker
DeRozan Carroll Johnson
Young Gay Samanic
Aldridge Poeltl Eubanks

That would be the most 3pt challenged lineup in the entire league.

Joseph Kony
06-24-2019, 09:52 PM
considering the Spurs are likely rolling with LA/Poeltl as the C rotation, no reason to add another guy like Young to clog up the front court with Rudy/Bertans (assuming he isnt moved). Spurs should be looking at wing depth, Young is a PF/C in 2020 NBA and would be redundant with post guys like LA/DD/Gay. money would be better spent elsewhere

slick'81
06-24-2019, 09:57 PM
Already have gay tbh

exstatic
06-25-2019, 10:56 AM
We won't get Bojan so we might settle for this guy, great defender, zero skills offensively not even as a spot up shooter

If you're willing to settle for those qualities, sign RHJ. He's 7 years younger.

pad300
06-25-2019, 10:57 AM
If you're willing to settle for those qualities, sign RHJ. He's 7 years younger.

And would be definitely cheaper, to boot.

GreekSpursfan
06-25-2019, 12:14 PM

But RHJ is not great at anything and i don't think he will ever be something.

buttsR4rebounding
06-25-2019, 12:17 PM

White Mills
Murray Forbes Walker
DeRozan Carroll Johnson
Young Gay Samanic
Aldridge Poeltl Eubanks

Could be a locker room issue...

DPG21920
06-25-2019, 12:19 PM
Ideally, I would like a starting 4 with the MLE. Going to be very tough, but Rudy as we saw last year cannot play too many minutes. If SA can sign someone that relegates Rudy to a bench role more permanently then that would be ideal.

So basically, another Rudy would be a good fit; however Thad can’t shoot so he doesn’t do what Rudy does. Mirotic would be something of the ideal get that could slide into that role.

Murray / White / DeRozan / Mirotic / LMA

Mills / Bryn / Lonnie / Rudy / Poeltl

look_at_g_shred
06-25-2019, 12:52 PM
Could be a locker room issue...
:lmao

exstatic
06-25-2019, 01:31 PM
But RHJ is not great at anything and i don't think he will ever be something.

He's a really good defender, which also seems to be Thad's only quality. RHJ is 24, and may or may not develop any further. I can guarantee you, though, that Thad won't be improving at 31.

TD 21
06-25-2019, 04:33 PM
Ideally, I would like a starting 4 with the MLE. Going to be very tough, but Rudy as we saw last year cannot play too many minutes. If SA can sign someone that relegates Rudy to a bench role more permanently then that would be ideal.

So basically, another Rudy would be a good fit; however Thad can’t shoot so he doesn’t do what Rudy does. Mirotic would be something of the ideal get that could slide into that role.

Murray / White / DeRozan / Mirotic / LMA

Mills / Bryn / Lonnie / Rudy / Poeltl

I agree with the sentiment, which is why I made a case for JaMychal Green yesterday. Mirotic will exceed the MLE.

The only issue (at least to the players in question) would be that it would mean 2 of the 3 of Bertans, Belinelli, Walker, are out of the rotation when the top 9 are all healthy and active.

Either way, Bertans' days are clearly numbered. Long term, they're obviously hoping Samanic can take on his role, but even short term, I get the sense that they'd prefer more of a true four.

GreekSpursfan
06-25-2019, 04:42 PM
He's a really good defender, which also seems to be Thad's only quality. RHJ is 24, and may or may not develop any further. I can guarantee you, though, that Thad won't be improving at 31.

I wouldn't call him a really good defender but i can call Thad (who i don't like by the way as i said in previous quotes) a great defender. We're splitting hairs here. They are both not good enough. It depends on the price for both of them.

Ignazzz
06-25-2019, 04:43 PM
LockerRoom Issue :)))))
Priceless even far far away in Poland ;)

JuneJive
06-25-2019, 06:25 PM
Pacers could afford to lose him having Goga on the team.

But i think he's more of C than a SF, meaning not a 4 with skills on the perimeter. Being off or def.

Someone else with the MLE.