PDA

View Full Version : Mario Hezonja - 2019 Free Agent

timvp
06-24-2019, 02:35 AM
https://ak-static.cms.nba.com/wp-content/uploads/headshots/nba/latest/260x190/1626209.png

Mario Hezonja
Position: Small Forward
Height: 6-foot-8
Weight: 225 pounds
College: International (Croatia)
Years Pro: 4

Stats (https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/h/hezonma01.html)

JeffDuncan
06-24-2019, 02:40 AM
His shooting averages, both 2pt and 3pt, fell off a cliff last season.

venitian navigator
06-24-2019, 05:51 AM
The other free agent sf favourite of mine. He's (like Stanley Johnson) a still young lottery pick talent with obvious developmental problems. That should lower his price range well under the MLE and make him affordable on a long term deal with perspective of improving his player's value by contract end (and receive after 3/4 years at only decent money a very good amount on next contract). Plus, he' croatian like our last first round pick...

duncan2150
06-24-2019, 06:02 AM
I like him, he can ball and would not be too expensive. Imo he can shine with the spurs.

D-Robinson 50 fan
06-24-2019, 06:03 AM
I agree with the poster above. He is another guy I wouldn’t mind seeing the team give a shot because he is still young and could figure things out and go on to have a solid career if put in the right situation. One thing that worries me about him is could he fit in with the way Pop runs the team though?

r0drig0lac
06-24-2019, 06:09 AM
i like

kobyz
06-24-2019, 06:18 AM
Not even in a million years, him and his friend Bender have no business being in the league still, bigtime busts who can't play, don't get fool!

monty4329
06-24-2019, 06:52 AM
Quite a softie who liked too much the NY nightlife.

Might be more mature though, offensive talent is there. Hates defending, according to Fitzdale.

He can be had for 6 mil, I guess.

mo7888
06-24-2019, 08:30 AM
I prefer to go the bogdanovic route and use the mle on a pf. If we can find our bogdanovic type then I'd be ok with this as a fallback option that lowers our floor.

GreekSpursfan
06-24-2019, 09:26 AM
Pass

JuneJive
06-24-2019, 09:30 AM
He got over himself, that's for sure.

He's embraced his role player status going forth, and with that being sad, he could be a solid addition to the squad.

He can play the four nowadays and switch across positions pretty decently.

pad300
06-24-2019, 10:18 AM

Has he? Maybe I'm mixed up, but there have been some rumors, IIRC, about his conduct with the magic.

Play Boban
06-24-2019, 10:32 AM
I'd sign him for the culture alone tbqh.

look_at_g_shred
06-24-2019, 10:48 AM
Has he? Maybe I'm mixed up, but there have been some rumors, IIRC, about his conduct with the magic.
He had a bad habit of chasing guys in the locker room with penile in hand

Play Boban
06-24-2019, 10:51 AM
He had a bad habit of chasing guys in the locker room with penile in hand

Sounds like a good way to build up the culture that pop would support tbh. :pop:

JuneJive
06-24-2019, 10:51 AM

Can't recall. But if there was, it would've been early on.

He was overly confident coming into the league.
He got a reality check so I think he would be appreciative of the opportunity given to him.

He could really be a solid bench contributor.

timvp
06-24-2019, 10:58 AM

"'I'm going to punch him in the nuts next time," Antetokounmpo said after the game, according to Stefan Bondy of the New York Daily News, who said the comment was not made as a joke.

Meanwhile, Hezonja didn't regret a thing, though he said the below before hearing Antetokounmpo's quote.

"Honestly, if you're afraid, this is not for you," he said, according to Steve Popper. "I don't want to be disrespectful, but if you feel fear this is not the place for you, New York is not a place for you and this team is not a place for you."

If Pop got mad at Nazr for shooting a three, I can't imagine what he'd do to Hezonja for doing the Allen-Iverson-Step-Over-Tyronn-Lue on Giannis after accidentally dunking on him :lol

Seriously though, if you sign Hezonja, you do so knowing he has a bit of an attitude, tbh.

JuneJive
06-24-2019, 11:56 AM
The league has made him pretty docile.

Overconfident fool he ain't no more.

He's got some swag. I pretty much guarantee there would be no problems with him if he decides to join the club. He knows what he'd be getting into coming here.

NASpurs
06-24-2019, 12:07 PM
Damn didn’t know that Hezonja is a player with an attitude. I like him, do it RC. :lol

sasaint
06-24-2019, 12:08 PM
https://ak-static.cms.nba.com/wp-content/uploads/headshots/nba/latest/260x190/1626209.png

Mario Hezonja
Position: Small Forward
Height: 6-foot-8
Weight: 225 pounds
College: International (Croatia)
Years Pro: 4

Stats (https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/h/hezonma01.html)

A very good high-ceiling gamble for cheap. Spurs could be just what he needs to reach his potential.

Mugen
06-24-2019, 12:17 PM
Going to keep my Free Agent grading system pretty simple this summer:

They are either #CoffeeGang material or #NotCoffeeGang material.

Hezonja is obviously #NotCoffeeGang material...

apalisoc_9
06-24-2019, 01:51 PM

If Pop got mad at Nazr for shooting a three, I can't imagine what he'd do to Hezonja for doing the Allen-Iverson-Step-Over-Tyronn-Lue on Giannis after accidentally dunking on him :lol

Seriously though, if you sign Hezonja, you do so knowing he has a bit of an attitude, tbh.

Even Nazr was way ahead of Pop.
Already taking 3s in the mid 00..

Meanwhile pop is outdated per par

JeffDuncan
06-24-2019, 02:09 PM

:lol

But if Giannis doesn't want to be stepped over he shouldn't fall down like a little girl.

Jsmythe
06-24-2019, 02:58 PM
Let's not forget this play:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFS40fgREE4

In all seriousness though, I do not want this guy or any other mediocre free agent. I'd rather take a chance on someone from the G-League or an undrafted player rather than sign an underperforming free agent with "potential". Last year the Grizzlies picked up Bruno Caboclo and Yuta Watanabe, so I'd hope the Spurs could do something like that this year.

Dr. John R. Brinkley
06-24-2019, 03:46 PM
Well, I’m intrigued. Don’t know much about him but his highlights (or low lights depending how you look at it) are attention grabbing. How he would get along with Luke would be another interesting thing to consider.

temujin
06-24-2019, 04:33 PM
Yet another soft Croatian who jumped to the NBA before he could walk.
I thought Spurs will have one, already.

ZeusWillJudge
06-24-2019, 06:50 PM

I would like a little more attitude on this team. But Pop calls for "nasty" and then doesn't like guys who bring nasty.

Hezonja is a reclamation project at this point. But that's where bargains come from. I remember after Vogel moved him to PF he was more productive, but not enough for Orlando to keep him. The Knicks hired him knowing all that, but I can't think of a worse place for a guy in need of development to land. Then he got stuck in the lineup in place of Kristaps, which is a recipe for disaster.

He's got the raw material for a contributor. I wish I knew if the Spurs had scouted him before his draft, but I don't remember hearing anything about it. If the Spurs FO like him enough to sign him, I wouldn't question it. As if they give a shit whether I question them. :lol

spurraider21
06-24-2019, 07:27 PM
i liked hezonja coming out as he has some nice skills and is a very good athlete, but his lack of jump shot makes him very difficult to deal with. there's intrigue but only if they have confidence his shooting will improve under chip's tutelage

kobyz
06-25-2019, 06:16 AM
He doesn't have attitude, he play very afraid on the court and he's lacking so much presence of mind, don't get fool by some random highlights...

spurraider21
06-30-2019, 10:42 PM
portland got him for the minimum on a 1 year deal with a player option...

talkspurs
07-01-2019, 06:45 PM
I think he would have been better then Demarre. He also is from Croatia same as Luka.

RC_Drunkford
07-01-2019, 07:35 PM
portland got him for the minimum on a 1 year deal with a player option...

Pop likes Metu more :spin

spurraider21
07-01-2019, 07:38 PM
Pop likes Metu more :spin
they occupy different positions/roles tbh, odd comp