PDA

View Full Version : The Anatomy of a Big Shot

Solid D
10-31-2005, 02:48 AM
This weekend, NBAtv showed several Spurs playoff games, including the OT Finals Game 5 in Detroit played on Father's Day. After re-watching the huge shot by Robert Horry on a out-of-bounds play following a Spurs time-out, it became obvious to me how well that play was designed based on how Detroit had been playing the Spurs defensively.

Larry Brown and Pop both like to trap when the man with the ball goes to the corners. It appeared that big OT play was designed to capitalize on Detroit's normal trapping strategy.

The Play
The Spurs, with Horry inbounding the ball, had spread the floor with Bowen and Ginobili on the far side corner and baseline with Tony at the top. Tim was on the nearside low block and started the play by downscreening for Ginobili baseline. Ginobili ran to the nearside corner to receive the bounce pass from Horry. Meanwhile, Duncan returned to the near left block to gain position on Ben Wallace then, as he so deftly does, pushes...turns and seals as an option for the quick look and pass from the corner. That would be an option in the progression that the Spurs would not need, as it turned out.

Rasheed Wallace, who was defending Horry's pass near the sideline automatically rushed to double the man with the ball in the corner (Gino) thus leaving the inbounder Horry. "Why would he leave such a hot, clutch shooter" - Detroit fans and announcers would scream? I would offer that even though Larry Brown had likely told his players not to leave the perimeter unguarded as one of his many instructions in the timeout huddle, it was a very normal reaction play for them to double and trap the corner.

When Rasheed reacted and left Horry to trap the ball, Horry recognized and was raising his hand calling for the return pass before he could even get in bounds. Manu also immediately saw the trap and made a sweet wrap-around bounce pass to Horry who caught in rhythm and nailed the dagger before the rotation help from Prince could come.

Pop knew they would likely trap...it was a tendency of the defense...otherwise why run Ginobili to the corner instead of into safer space? That's why I think Robert was the "real" first option in Pop's mind and that Tim was postioned as a quick 2nd option if the trap didn't materialize. If neither were there...hey what better creator with the ball and 6-7 seconds left than Emanuel Ginobili?

http://www.nba.com/media/finals2005/HorryGW_360_050619.jpg
http://www.nba.com/media/finals2005/Celebration_295_050619.jpg

RashoFan
10-31-2005, 04:02 AM
Nice...I love reliving that moment!
:drunk

xcoriate
10-31-2005, 05:18 AM
Yeah, nice work Solid D

I've never disected it that much but your reasoning certainly makes sense. Else the Spurs would have inbounded to the top of the key.

polandprzem
10-31-2005, 06:40 AM
double team - Horry
No double - pick with Timmy

G-Nob
10-31-2005, 07:33 AM
Excellent analysis. Although, I think Horry did mention post game that he was surprised to be that wide open, so if the intentional plan was to see if they'd trap, Pop didn't communicate that to his players. It looked to me the first option was to go baseline to Timmy but being so wide open, Rob called for it.