PDA

View Full Version : Investigating The DeMar DeRozan Trade Possibilities

timvp
06-24-2019, 02:57 PM
If the Spurs don't plan to offer DeMar DeRozan a contract extension (and I believe they shouldn't (https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=280101)), San Antonio will have to at least consider trading him. A couple rumors (https://hoopshype.com/2019/05/23/demar-derozan-nba-trade-rumors-los-angeles-lakers-san-antonio-spurs/) have surfaced of the Spurs shopping DeRozan (https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nba/spurs-could-reportedly-trade-demar-derozan-in-offseason-to-create-cap-room-for-bojan-bogdanovic/ar-AACyg9A), however things were silent during the 2019 NBA Draft despite a whirlwind of deals around the league.

At the beginning of the free agency period, I expect there to be little talk of trading DeRozan. But after the max free agents start selecting their destinations, that's when things could heat up on the DeRozan trade front.

What would a DeRozan trade look like and how could it impact San Antonio in free agency? Let's investigate.

1. Trade DeMar DeRozan Into Cap Space

If DeRozan does get traded, I think the most likely scenario involves a team that strikes out in free agency who then turns to DeRozan as a consolation prize. A handful of teams could potential fit the bill.

-What happens if the Lakers fail to land a third star in free agency to put next to LeBron James and Anthony Davis? One would imagine they would at least come knocking to inquire about DeRozan's availability.

-Contending teams with cap room desperate for a guard like the Celtics (playmaking replacement for Kyrie) or the Pacers (to allow Victor Oladipo to take his time returning from injury) may be interested.

-What if an Eastern Conference team like the Knicks or the Nets is left holding a bag of cash and no max free agent to give it to? DeRozan isn't perfect but he's a player who can help your team make the playoffs, especially in the East.

To complete such a swap, I don't think the Spurs could get much back in the trade -- perhaps something like a protected first round pick or an inexpensive, somewhat interesting young player. DeRozan's market value just isn't high enough right now to warrant more than a minor asset. That said, the real value for San Antonio would be the sudden increase in cap space.

In a scenario where another team completely swallows DeRozan's contract, the Spurs could open more than $30 million in salary cap room if they renounce Rudy Gay. That would allow San Antonio to go out and bid on some of the higher end free agents on the market.

Alternatively, the Spurs could keep Gay in the fold and still potentially have in the neighborhood of $20 million in salary cap space. With that money, they could go after a second tier free agent -- like a Bojan Bogdanovic, as has been rumored.

Where the cap impact gets complicated is if the Spurs receive salary back in a trade involving DeRozan. For example, if the Spurs get players totaling $10 million in salary in exchange, they would then have in the neighborhood of $20 million to spend in free agency -- but they'd almost assuredly lose Gay in the process. They could keep Gay in such a scenario but then they'd be left with around the same amount of money to spend as the MLE (between $9 million and $10 million).

2. Salary Dump DeMar DeRozan

Another DeRozan trade possibility is to look for a team with excess salary cap room (Hawks?) that can absorb some or all of his contract. In this scenario, the team receiving DeRozan wouldn't want him, so San Antonio would need to include assets in the trade to get his contract off the books.

Considering the Spurs would likely have to give up multiple first round picks to make this happen, such a trade would certainly carry quite a bit of risk. The equation at the end of the day would look something like this: DeRozan + two first round picks in exchange for Bogdanovic + Gay. That's a lot to give up, especially when the Spurs can keep DeRozan, re-sign Gay and still have the MLE worth $9.2 million to spend in free agency.

3. Salary Dump DeMar DeRozan's Player Option

It wouldn't be quite as expensive for the Spurs to salary dump DeRozan if they're just trying to erase his player option from the books. In this scenario, the Spurs would match 2019-20 salaries in the trade but wouldn't take on any player with more than one year left on his contract.

Depending on the trade partner, it's probable that the Spurs wouldn't have to attach anything to DeRozan to sweeten the offer. Hypothetically, the team would covet DeRozan and the Spurs would take back an inferior player(s) on an expiring deal.

Examples:

-DeRozan to the Heat for Hassan Whiteside

-DeRozan to the Grizzlies for Chandler Parsons

-DeRozan to the Pistons for Reggie Jackson and Langston Galloway

-DeRozan to the Hornets for Bismack Biyombo and Michael Kidd-Gilchrist

This scenario doesn't give the Spurs any extra ammo in free agency; they'd be in the same boat with the ability to re-sign Gay and add an MLE player.

Why would San Antonio do this? It'd give the Spurs a nuclear option they could detonate in a year if they so choose. By declining their 2020-21 option on LaMarcus Aldridge, the Spurs would then have enough cap space to go out and sign a pair of max free agents next summer.

On the other hand, the counterargument is difficult to fault: the Spurs would likely be making their 2019-20 team worse, declining their option on Aldridge would look foolish unless he falls off a cliff and next summer's free agent class isn't highly regarded.

4. Flip DeMar DeRozan For A Flop

If the Spurs don't think DeRozan is a fit but also don't want to take a step back in the short-term, they could look for a trade partner that is wanting to rid themselves of a similar player who is having issues fitting in his current situation.

Depending on the player and the contracts involved, the Spurs may even request assets be attached.

Examples:

-DeRozan to the Timberwolves for Andrew Wiggins and a pick or two

-DeRozan to the Celtics for Gordon Hayward and a pick

-DeRozan and Marco Belinelli to the Rockets for Chris Paul and two picks

-DeRozan to the Cavaliers for Kevin Love and a pick or two

-DeRozan to the Hornets for Nicolas Batum and a pick

The Spurs could stay competitive in the short-term with such trades, however they'd be taking on quite a bit of long-term risk in the form of a toxic contract. The attached assets could make the gamble worthwhile -- or it could make an unideal situation even worse.

Conclusion

All in all, I don't think any of these scenarios are likely. It would take either a perfect storm of circumstances or for something to happen behind the scenes to motivate the Spurs to make a move. There are a few other even less likely scenarios (involving sign-and-trades or the Spurs trading away one of Derrick White, Dejounte Murray or Lonnie Walker IV along with DeRozan to upgrade) but when all is said and done, the most likely outcome is for the Spurs to follow a surprisingly straightforward path in free agency (https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=279323) by re-signing Gay and then going MLE shopping.

Up next, I'll think through San Antonio's strategies with regard to spending the $9.2 million of the MLE. What type of player should they target? How many years should they offer? Is there even room on the roster?

Dejounte
06-24-2019, 03:03 PM
Keep him. Have him mentor the young core. Pursuade him to take a discount when his contract is up, or during extension talks this summer.

slick'81
06-24-2019, 03:12 PM
For parsons!? Jesus we coulda traded kawhi for that and atleast got the #2 pick.Most those scenarios seem depressing tbh

DPG21920
06-24-2019, 03:14 PM
Option one is by far the most feasible. Under no circumstances should SA be giving up assets to move DeRozan. But I think option three is what is most likely to happen if something happens.

SA gets to hedge; still a playoff team + likely getting an asset (pick and/or young interesting player). As I’ve said CHA makes a ton of sense if they are serious about keeping Kemba and making playoffs. Marvin Williams + Bismack + Pick or young player (PJ Wash) for DeRozan + Beli

NASpurs
06-24-2019, 03:15 PM
I wouldn't mind taking Gordon Hayward but fuck all of those other situations especially Chris Paul. Hayward would fit better than those other players.

DPG21920
06-24-2019, 03:19 PM
Also as we saw with ATL having tons of space isn’t just about free agents. SA could accumulate massive pick wealth while still being good if the youth pops by taking on one year deals for teams that need space

Smithie
06-24-2019, 03:21 PM
I believe they will keep DeRozan for the upcoming season. But in the unlikely case of a trade, I think it would be worth exploring if and how Nic Batum would work in the Spurs system. Salary-wise it's a lateral move and production-wise Batum would be a clear downgrade on paper, but DeRozan's numbers are somewhat empty as we've seen, and I just have the feeling there's some potential there with Batum that could be unearthed by the org. In the very least he would be a more coherent piece to complement Murray and White and possibly Walker as the next engines of Spurs machine. The Hornets might be convinced that DeRozan would be a good second fiddle or 1B option to Kemba Walker.

DPG21920
06-24-2019, 03:21 PM
Kevin Love would be a very good fit with SA and LMA imo. If CLE would give real assets it would be one to consider if free agency isn’t a real play next 2 years

Ocotillo
06-24-2019, 03:25 PM
I had mentioned the Hayward possibility in a post several weeks ago, basically trading one disappointment for another. I still like the idea since Hayward would be more of a 3 and make room for the youngsters to develop but Ainge is an SOB to deal with. You think he has developed any humility with some of his free agents getting ready to walk? I also mentioned they may even be open to taking Milutinov.

sananspursfan21
06-24-2019, 03:32 PM
Ugh Chris Paul. I sure hope the Spurs don’t hit that low. I like DeMar but if the price is right, good on the Spurs. But the price has got to be right...

exstatic
06-24-2019, 03:38 PM
I'm guessing the Knicks will totally strike out in FA. They have like $70M in capspace, and if they want to be players next year, will need to fill some of that with 1 year deals to meet minimum payroll.

JuneJive
06-24-2019, 03:44 PM
Something around Bogdanovic seems very possible.

Big P
06-24-2019, 03:52 PM
Thanks for this series of write ups...great stuff.

Collins21
06-24-2019, 03:58 PM
This Nicolas Batum shit has got to stop!!! Pop wants to make the playoffs and there's no way this team is winning 30 games trading DeRozan for Batum. If the team wants to tank then yeah that reads makes sense but DeRozan is better at every facet of the game than the 2019 version of Batum.

dubross
06-24-2019, 04:01 PM
Keep DeRozan and get rid of dead weight like Beli and hopefully Patty. I really hope Belli, Mills, Forbes, and Bertans are traded to open space for other players. Well at least 2 of the 4. Hoping 3 out of the 4.

Mugen
06-24-2019, 04:01 PM
So about a 90% chance we head into next season with the following lineup:

Dejounte/Patty/Vet PG
White/Forbes/Walker
Derozan/Beli or MLE/Keldon
Gay/Bertans or MLE/Luka/Metu
LMA/Poetl

I think there's probably a good chance that one of Beli or Bertans is moved to cut salary and Metu is probably 50/50 to be on the team next year as well....

Probably a 50-54 win team and a 4-6 seed with a 2nd round ceiling....

League shaping up to be the most wide open it's been in like 20 years and the Spurs are gonna run it back + Dejounte :lol ....sigh.

DPG21920
06-24-2019, 04:08 PM
Spurs made the playoffs with no Kawhi, DeRozan or Poeltl and now White is way better and SA can add Lonnie and FA too.

gambit1990
06-24-2019, 04:13 PM
ddr & patty for kemba & batum.

jordan is dumb. play him like a fiddle.

Mugen
06-24-2019, 04:14 PM
Spurs made the playoffs with no Kawhi, DeRozan or Poeltl and now White is way better and SA can add Lonnie and FA too.

Bryn will be ahead of Lonnie in the rotation. Beli too unless he is moved (that's probably the best that I could hope for tbh).

Unless Walker absolutely plays out of his mind in summer league + training camp or Bryn gets hurt for a long stretch of time, he's going to be relegated to the same playing time that CoJo got in his 2nd year.

K...
06-24-2019, 04:18 PM
It would be major hilarious if the Celtics trade jaylen brown for DeRozan when they wouldn't for klaw. For lulz and justice make it so, Ainge.

gambit1990
06-24-2019, 04:20 PM
really don’t see cp3 as a spur. morey is too smart to want demar.

bluebellmaniac
06-24-2019, 04:37 PM
Try to get Bojan, sign Milutinov and call it an off-season. Win.

cool cat
06-24-2019, 04:45 PM
Kevin Love would be a very good fit with SA and LMA imo. If CLE would give real assets it would be one to consider if free agency isn’t a real play next 2 years

Yes Kevin Love is the most interesting in that scenario. It opens up a lot of possibilities.

He can play next to LMA or Jakob, probably a better fit then DeRozan.
Your still in good shape to make the playoffs.
He’s not creating a log jam at a position like DeRozan is.
He’s a decent big to build around with the young guys.
It makes LMA expendable if we need to move him.
He is only 30 with 4 years still on his contract. So you are getting prime years and when the contract is up your at the point of paying your current group of rookies, so it fits the timetable almost to well.
If you can get 1 or 2 picks, with knowing the Cavs could be a lottery pick, you continue to build the team.

A deal almost makes to much sense.

Cryptic Parable
06-24-2019, 04:45 PM
DDR and LW for DeAndre Hunter and 2nd rnd pick

slick'81
06-24-2019, 04:47 PM
Yes Kevin Love is the most interesting in that scenario. It opens up a lot of possibilities.

He can play next to LMA or Jakob, probably a better fit then DeRozan.
Your still in good shape to make the playoffs.
He’s not creating a log jam at a position like DeRozan is.
He’s a decent big to build around with the young guys.
It makes LMA expendable if we need to move him.
He is only 30 with 4 years still on his contract. So you are getting prime years and when the contract is up your at the point of paying your current group of rookies, so it fits the timetable almost to well.
If you can get 1 or 2 picks, with knowing the Cavs could be a lottery pick, you continue to build the team.

A deal almost makes to much sense.

of course it makes sense when ur the team with demar

gambit1990
06-24-2019, 04:51 PM
:lol

GreekSpursfan
06-24-2019, 04:52 PM
Very informative thread. I give it 1% to trade him this summer and a little more by the trade deadline. I give it more than 50% to trade him next summer.

rjv
06-24-2019, 04:53 PM
i would be thoroughly shocked if derozan isn't a spur for all of next season.

GusT15
06-24-2019, 04:58 PM
Very informative thread. I give it 1% to trade him this summer and a little more by the trade deadline. I give it more than 50% to trade him next summer.

We can trade him next summer only if we extend him or he opts in,right?

If he opts out he's an UFA next summer.

cool cat
06-24-2019, 05:08 PM

Demar for Kevin Love would be a depressing trade. *rimshot*

I’ll see myself out.

CGD
06-24-2019, 05:15 PM
Teams that I have no read on about their plans, but that have an ass load of space:

Kings
Pelicans
Dallas
Chicago

rjv
06-24-2019, 05:35 PM
Teams that I have no read on about their plans, but that have an ass load of space:

Kings
Pelicans
Dallas
Chicago

i think dallas is going to go all in on horford

Tyrone Jenkins
06-24-2019, 05:59 PM
Demar for Kevin Love would be a depressing trade. *rimshot*

I’ll see myself out.

Ouch . . . but that was funny!

tbdog
06-24-2019, 06:03 PM
I just don't see it's either max our DD or trade him type of scenario. I just think the Spurs will offer him a 3 year 70mil contract. In which I think it is fair.

baseline bum
06-24-2019, 06:04 PM
-DeRozan and Marco Belinelli to the Rockets for Chris Paul and two picks

https://media.giphy.com/media/Lsn6R0xjdstnG/giphy.gif

baseline bum
06-24-2019, 06:07 PM
I'm guessing the Knicks will totally strike out in FA. They have like $70M in capspace, and if they want to be players next year, will need to fill some of that with 1 year deals to meet minimum payroll.

Kind of sounding like either the Knicks or Nets will land Durant + Irving.

GreekSpursfan
06-24-2019, 06:19 PM
We can trade him next summer only if we extend him or he opts in,right?

If he opts out he's an UFA next summer.

My guess is that he will opt in. I don't see how he will find better money elsewhere even if its for one year. If he has an all star year and does well in the playoffs then and only then i can see him opting out but do we really believe that?

CGD
06-24-2019, 06:54 PM
i think dallas is going to go all in on horford

That could actually be a great pickup for Dallas.

I think if Pels where to move Lonzo, that DDR could actually work there along Holiday.

ZeusWillJudge
06-24-2019, 07:25 PM
I hate #2 and #4. I was ready to jump on Option #3, but the elephant in the room is that someone else would have to actually want two years of DDR at his current price. He's not going to pass on that player option.

I can actually see a team with a ton of cap space getting frozen out on the FA market and seeing DDR as a way to put points on the board, and fans in the seats. So if he can do that for one of those teams, he can do it for the Spurs. And those other teams are less likely to want him until they're sure they can't get someone better. Keeping him is looking pretty viable, TBH. If it wasn't for that player option, it's almost hard to see anything else happening.

I just can't stand the thought of throwing a bunch of future resources, or taking back any albatrosses, in an effort to get rid of one player.

weebo
06-24-2019, 07:29 PM
The west is wide open this year...DD may not be KL but he's as good or better than any options mentioned in the OP....keep him and see how much he's improved after a year with the team.

tonski17
06-24-2019, 07:33 PM
THis :bobo

spurs1990
06-24-2019, 08:21 PM
I wouldn't mind taking Gordon Hayward but fuck all of those other situations especially Chris Paul. Hayward would fit better than those other players.

timvp
06-24-2019, 08:26 PM

https://media.giphy.com/media/urMa8ZGgTMp2M/giphy.gif

sasaint
06-24-2019, 08:31 PM
So about a 90% chance we head into next season with the following lineup:

Dejounte/Patty/Vet PG
White/Forbes/Walker
Derozan/Beli or MLE/Keldon
Gay/Bertans or MLE/Luka/Metu
LMA/Poetl

I think there's probably a good chance that one of Beli or Bertans is moved to cut salary and Metu is probably 50/50 to be on the team next year as well....

Probably a 50-54 win team and a 4-6 seed with a 2nd round ceiling....

League shaping up to be the most wide open it's been in like 20 years and the Spurs are gonna run it back + Dejounte :lol ....sigh.

Yep. You nailed it. If all our guards remain healthy, I see a minor move at the deadline to slightly de-clutter the backcourt.

MultiTroll
06-24-2019, 08:39 PM
-DeRozan to the Grizzlies for Chandler Parsons
Kori, get this man away from the computer for a short break.

SpurPadre
06-24-2019, 08:41 PM
Yep. You nailed it. If all our guards remain healthy, I see a minor move at the deadline to slightly de-clutter the backcourt.

At the deadline? Pop is the King of standing pat at the deadline. If anything, he'll be quoted making jokes about not trading a few days before the deadline comes and goes.

Roscoe P. Coltrane
06-24-2019, 08:41 PM
I'm not a DeRozan fan but trading him don't make much sense to me. Who are you going to trade him for that's going to make the Spurs better. What they need is a third capable player to fit in with DeRozan and Aldridge. Gay is not that player, injury prone, can't play enough minutes and doesn't play well in the playoffs. Make a trade to free up cap space in order to sign a player or aquire that play through a trade is what I would like to see them do. If you gonna trade DeRozan might as well just trade him for picks and move Aldridge too and pretty much be a bottom feeder for the next 10 - 20 years.

Poolboy5623
06-24-2019, 08:46 PM
The biggest question for me is what other team wants him that bad?

Down Under
06-24-2019, 09:07 PM
Ideally, he helps us win games until the trade deadline, the other 2 young guys pan out & you trade him for whatever you can get then.

duncan2k5
06-24-2019, 09:12 PM
I'm not a DeRozan fan but trading him don't make much sense to me. Who are you going to trade him for that's going to make the Spurs better. What they need is a third capable player to fit in with DeRozan and Aldridge. Gay is not that player, injury prone, can't play enough minutes and doesn't play well in the playoffs. Make a trade to free up cap space in order to sign a player or aquire that play through a trade is what I would like to see them do. If you gonna trade DeRozan might as well just trade him for picks and move Aldridge too and pretty much be a bottom feeder for the next 10 - 20 years.

The team is literally better with him off the floor... U can trade him for a second round pick and we would be better off

cube1980
06-24-2019, 10:05 PM
Don't trade him this summer. Demand him to learn to shoot 3s. If he proves he can do that next season, keep him; otherwise, trade him mid-season.

DAF86
06-24-2019, 10:11 PM
At this point I have come to terms with the idea of doing as best as possible with the DD and Aldridge core. I can stomach that for the next two years, just please, no extension. That would figuratively kill me.

Just sign a good 3 and D guy with the MLE and keep the playoffs streak alive.

weeks
06-24-2019, 10:14 PM
i'm not really sure why Derozan has such negative impact metrics. He doesn't seem like a terrible player or super cancerous, and has obvious talent.
is it just the shitty perimeter game or what

GAustex
06-24-2019, 10:19 PM
i'm not really sure why Derozan has such negative impact metrics. He doesn't seem like a terrible player or super cancerous, and has obvious talent.
Only effective with ball in his hands and makes poor decisions often when he has it.
Does not seem to do well in adverse situations.
Cannot shoot open spot up shots.
Refuses to move without the ball.
Not good for the highest paid player.
I hope somehow he can be more positive moving forward since there seems no way to effectively shed him.

slick'81
06-24-2019, 10:19 PM

He wilts in the playoffs and isnt a difference maker when it matters most

Chinook
06-24-2019, 11:19 PM
Not against trading DeRozan and Mills for Paul and multiple picks. I mean, that contract is awful and Paul is unnecessary AF if the team can't follow this up with a big-time trade for a wing. But it raises the team's ceiling while lowering its floor. Two firsts from Houston could easily be mid-round picks. I don't have much interest in something like a Batum trade, though. DeRozan for expirings and a pick feels better. Batum may have been worth it when the Spurs had the chance to draft Doumbouya. Now, I'd only want to move on from DeRozan's and preferably Mills' salaries. I think folks would be surprised to see that DeMar still has a decent trade market if it comes to that. He's not getting a Kawhi package, but a team like ATL wouldn't get assets to take him.

Chinook
06-24-2019, 11:25 PM

It's really hard to open up big leads if you don't shoot a lot of threes or run a lot in transition. I'm pretty sure DeRozan has always been contrasted with a wing who doesn't iso for most of his scores and may even shoot way more. That increases their plus-minus, but it doesn't necessarily contributes more to winning, since most of those guys don't use as many possessions against as tough of defenders as guys like DMDR and LMA do. You can see how those guys win games. It doesn't mean they don't have obvious flaws that may limit their teams' ceilings, but they are certainly more impactful than the high-efficiency fourth-option types that litter the top of the RAPM standings.

John B
06-25-2019, 03:21 AM
Demar is not getting traded, nor salary dump to bid for a big name free agent. Nobody wants to play in this small market and get drilled by Coach Pop. Spurs would keep DDR/Aldridge, resign Gay to keep them in the playoffs, while developing our young players. Not sexy but it’s the Spurs way. I’m waiting who they sign the MLE

spurraider21
06-25-2019, 03:24 AM

https://media.giphy.com/media/urMa8ZGgTMp2M/giphy.gif
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/DefiantArtisticBanteng-size_restricted.gif

spurs10
06-25-2019, 03:42 AM
Kevin Love would be a very good fit with SA and LMA imo. If CLE would give real assets it would be one to consider if free agency isn’t a real play next 2 years Of the scenarios mentioned, Love would be the best imho. However, I think we will just go 'MLE shopping' and see what we have with the 'youth brigade.'

childishbambi
06-25-2019, 09:39 PM
Considering the Spurs would likely have to give up multiple first round picks to make this happen, such a trade would certainly carry quite a bit of risk. The equation at the end of the day would look something like this: DeRozan + two first round picks in exchange for Bogdanovic + Gay. That's a lot to give up, especially when the Spurs can keep DeRozan, re-sign Gay and still have the MLE worth $9.2 million to spend in free agency.

HELL no.

https://sports.yahoo.com/report-knicks-roll-over-cap-151445898.html

New York still believes it’s in the hunt for Kawhi Leonard, Irving and Durant. But, according to a source, the Knicks will punt their $70 million-plus in cap space if they can’t land one of those Tier A free agents.

This plan would require patience Knicks owner James Dolan has rarely shown.

And then the 2020 free-agent class looks weak (https://nba.nbcsports.com/2019/02/28/pat-riley-heat-will-pursue-two-max-players-in-2020/). Especially with Anthony Davis (https://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/5007/) already on the Lakers (https://sports.yahoo.com/nba/teams/la-lakers/), there probably won’t be an attainable superstar for the Knicks. There might not even be an attainable star.

Then what? Sacrifice the 2020-21 season to gear up for 2021 free agency? Maybe Barrett, Knox and Robinson develop and send New York on a different track, but that’s far from assured.

Derozan, Mills and Belli for a pick?
Knicks own their 2020 and two 2021 first round picks outright.

Realdeal1
06-25-2019, 09:54 PM
Would be nice if derozan took a pay cut / discount to help the Spurs with the cap... would you guys want him if he took a significant paycut?

gambit1990
06-25-2019, 10:30 PM
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/DefiantArtisticBanteng-size_restricted.gif
best show on tv.

james evans
06-25-2019, 10:37 PM
Would be nice if derozan took a pay cut / discount to help the Spurs with the cap... would you guys want him if he took a significant paycut?
As much as he sucks, why should he take a pay cut because we haven’t been able to draft worth shit the past few years?

Marcus Bryant
06-25-2019, 10:44 PM

:tu

Marcus Bryant
06-25-2019, 10:52 PM
Hmmm. You deal DeRozan not for cap space but for what you might get in return (ie picks). I think you still try to maintain near term (2021) cap flexibility but, Spurs fans might have to face a season not making the playoffs.

Marcus Bryant
06-25-2019, 10:58 PM
Maybe last season’s team plus Murray, Walker, and MLE free agent is enough to get into the conference finals in the next two seasons? If not go harder towards a rebuild tbh.

cutewizard
06-25-2019, 11:20 PM
Maybe last season’s team plus Murray, Walker, and MLE free agent is enough to get into the conference finals in the next two seasons? If not go harder towards a rebuild tbh.

:reading

phxspurfan
06-26-2019, 01:38 AM
Spurs won't move DeMar, even when the Lakers come calling very publicly. Pop wants to see if he can transform his new pet project.

XDT76
06-26-2019, 01:45 AM
As much as he sucks, why should he take a pay cut because we haven’t been able to draft worth shit the past few years?

Well other teams seems to think otherwise as they are willing to outbid the Spurs to get them. Joseph, Neal, Baynes, Boban, Anderson and Simmons to name a few.

EricB
06-26-2019, 02:10 AM
Bryn will be ahead of Lonnie in the rotation. Beli too unless he is moved (that's probably the best that I could hope for tbh).

Unless Walker absolutely plays out of his mind in summer league + training camp or Bryn gets hurt for a long stretch of time, he's going to be relegated to the same playing time that CoJo got in his 2nd year.

As of now, my source says Lonnie Walker is the first guard off the bench. That’s pop’s plan, as long as Walker is healthy. Pop LOVES Walker. I mean, compared to George Hill, George Hill is like maybe a nice fan that he meets at the local wine bar.

BG_Spurs_Fan
06-26-2019, 02:13 AM
I’m not in the trade Demar camp but if they have no plans to extend him and are looking at trades I think there’s some sort of deal with Miami to be made. Something like Whiteside and Winslow for DDR and Bertans for example. Riley wants to make a move and they don’t have many options due to their cap situation. Not sure Pop would want Whiteside but this trade makes the roster more balanced and Winslow’s deal aligns perfectly with the upcoming new deals for Murray, Poeltl and eventually White. Gives the Spurs someone who can handle the ball and create a bit.

Whiteside could provide depth in case of an Aldridge/Poeltl injury as the next guy in line for the C position would be Eubanks and he can’t be with the team the whole season while he’s on a two-way contract. Whiteside could also be traded by the deadline.

EricB
06-26-2019, 02:14 AM
Kind of sounding like either the Knicks or Nets will land Durant + Irving.

If I were a betting man, Durant takes the option, sits and gets paid. Irving goes to Brooklyn, Kawhi is down to Brooklyn Toronto and the Clippers. Basketball karma comes in and he signs with Brooklyn.

the Knick’s offseason consists of randle and spare parts.

EricB
06-26-2019, 02:17 AM

Made in Johnson and Samanic cause from what I know they’re planning on them getting minutes..

FireMicoHalili
06-26-2019, 02:39 AM
Keep him. Have him mentor the young core. Pursuade him to take a discount when his contract is up, or during extension talks this summer.
teach them what exactly? Jack up mid-range shots and mentally disappear in the playoffs?

Chinook
06-26-2019, 02:51 AM
I’m not in the trade Demar camp but if they have no plans to extend him and are looking at trades I think there’s some sort of deal with Miami to be made. Something like Whiteside and Winslow for DDR and Bertans for example. Riley wants to make a move and they don’t have many options due to their cap situation. Not sure Pop would want Whiteside but this trade makes the roster more balanced and Winslow’s deal aligns perfectly with the upcoming new deals for Murray, Poeltl and eventually White. Gives the Spurs someone who can handle the ball and create a bit.

Whiteside could provide depth in case of an Aldridge/Poeltl injury as the next guy in line for the C position would be Eubanks and he can’t be with the team the whole season while he’s on a two-way contract. Whiteside could also be traded by the deadline.

I doubt Riley makes a trade for DeRozan using Winslow. They have an irrational amount of love for that dude.

Honestly, any DeRozan trade has to be about goals, as the OP touches on. The Spurs can "get something for" DeRozan any time up until the deadline. They don't need to look into that now. However, if they want to use cap space, obviously they need something lined up. If they merely want to shuffle the decks a little bit, then trading DeRozan, Metu and Mills to Charlotte for Batum, Marvin Williams and a lightly protected first. I don't love that deal, but Mills being in the deal drops Batum's effective salary to $13.9 Million, and I can live with that. Then you follow that up by trading the least favorable of the Spurs and Hornets 2020 picks to Indy along with Bertans and Beli for Bogdanovic and get:

Murray, Forbes,
White, Walker,
Bogdanovic, Batum, Johnson
Williams, Gay, Samanic
Aldridge, Poeltl, Eubanks

It'd be weird going from having way too much guard depth to needing to sign two or three of them in one trade sequence. But they'd conserve their MLE to sign a decent third-string guard to compete for minutes and could actually bring Weatherspoon over rather than forcing a stash. If they do the MLE, the best use of it may be to take a flier on a highly touted guard who's fallen out of favor on a one-and-one deal. Dunno if there's a good example of one of those this summer, though. Maybe Burks?

kobyz
06-26-2019, 03:14 AM
I doubt Riley makes a trade for DeRozan using Winslow. They have an irrational amount of love for that dude.

Honestly, any DeRozan trade has to be about goals, as the OP touches on. The Spurs can "get something for" DeRozan any time up until the deadline. They don't need to look into that now. However, if they want to use cap space, obviously they need something lined up. If they merely want to shuffle the decks a little bit, then trading DeRozan, Metu and Mills to Charlotte for Batum, Marvin Williams and a lightly protected first. I don't love that deal, but Mills being in the deal drops Batum's effective salary to $13.9 Million, and I can live with that. Then you follow that up by trading the least favorable of the Spurs and Hornets 2020 picks to Indy along with Bertans and Beli for Bogdanovic and get:

Murray, Forbes,
White, Walker,
Williams, Gay, Samanic

It'd be weird going from having way too much guard depth to needing to sign two or three of them in one trade sequence. But they'd conserve their MLE to sign a decent third-string guard to compete for minutes and could actually bring Weatherspoon over rather than forcing a stash. If they do the MLE, the best use of it may be to take a flier on a highly touted guard who's fallen out of favor on a one-and-one deal. Dunno if there's a good example of one of those this summer, though. Maybe Burks?

trading DeMar I think it's only to go for rebuild path, if you want to go for staying competitive there's is no trade which is a better option than just keep DeMar..

monty4329
06-26-2019, 04:30 AM

That would be awesome.

FireMicoHalili
06-26-2019, 04:38 AM
can see him being dealt to one of the California teams. If they're going to trade him away I'm sure they'll soften the blow by sending him home at least.

monty4329
06-26-2019, 04:39 AM
Only effective with ball in his hands and makes poor decisions often when he has it.
Does not seem to do well in adverse situations.
Cannot shoot open spot up shots.
Refuses to move without the ball.
Not good for the highest paid player.
I hope somehow he can be more positive moving forward since there seems no way to effectively shed him.

Basically, a totaly negative attitude. Pity, great talent, almost unguardable on a few selected moves, a dead body in every other situation.

cutewizard
06-26-2019, 04:59 AM
:drunk

BG_Spurs_Fan
06-26-2019, 05:33 AM

Murray, Forbes,
White, Walker,
Williams, Gay, Samanic

Yeah Miami have irrational love for Winslow and they also have irrational love for Josh Richardson, and before that they had it for Whiteside - that’s why they’re in the cap mess they have. I’m not sure Riley would want DDR but aside from ST’s hate for the dude he’s objectively a better player than Winslow is and is likely ever going to be. I’m convinced Riley will not wait it out for next summer and will be very active.

As for the Charlotte trade, sure this is the most likely fantasy trade anyone could come up with, although I disagree they’ll include Patty, but I don’t like it at all and wouldn’t think the Spurs would have their highest paid player as a bench option, especially with two years left on his contract. I may be overestimating DDR’s value but it’d take a lot of sweeteners for the Spurs to even consider it imo.

baseline bum
06-26-2019, 06:33 AM
If I were a betting man, Durant takes the option, sits and gets paid. Irving goes to Brooklyn, Kawhi is down to Brooklyn Toronto and the Clippers. Basketball karma comes in and he signs with Brooklyn.

the Knick’s offseason consists of randle and spare parts.

If I'm Durant I'm taking a long term max deal now when dealing with an injury like that. Maybe in a year if his medical screens come back bad he won't get offered the 35% max deals he could sign in a few days.

exstatic
06-26-2019, 06:51 AM
Spurs won't move DeMar, even when the Lakers come calling very publicly. Pop wants to see if he can transform his new pet project.

Why is DeMar not attending USA Basketball this year, then? I mean, he went last year, when it was just practice. This year, it’s actually the World Cup, with medals to be had. Something’s up.

Mugen
06-26-2019, 09:25 AM
As of now, my source says Lonnie Walker is the first guard off the bench. That’s pop’s plan, as long as Walker is healthy. Pop LOVES Walker. I mean, compared to George Hill, George Hill is like maybe a nice fan that he meets at the local wine bar.

I hope you're right but I'd have to see it before I even come close to believing it. Gotta hope Walker stays healthy through the start of the regular season.

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-26-2019, 10:16 AM
If I'm Durant I'm taking a long term max deal now when dealing with an injury like that. Maybe in a year if his medical screens come back bad he won't get offered the 35% max deals he could sign in a few days.

This. Durant's taking the most money he can get after an injury like that.

Now, Golden State's off book compensation may tip that equation another way, but on the surface Durant's taking the most cash he gets offered. It sure won't be a one year deal.

timvp
06-26-2019, 10:59 AM
Why is DeMar not attending USA Basketball this year, then? I mean, he went last year, when it was just practice. This year, it’s actually the World Cup, with medals to be had. Something’s up.

Underrated point, tbh.

The Spurs haven't acted like DeRozan is a long-term piece to the puzzle since he got here. Another seemingly small example but it just goes with everything else: Spurs social media last year was directed to push Aldridge instead of DeRozan as a potential All-Star -- even though at the time it was reasonably close which one was more deserving.

sasaint
06-26-2019, 11:17 AM
That would be awesome.

Especially if Milutinov is out of the picture.

sasaint
06-26-2019, 11:19 AM

Praying dog pic!

Mugen
Underrated point, tbh.

The Spurs haven't acted like DeRozan is a long-term piece to the puzzle since he got here. Another seemingly small example but it just goes with everything else: Spurs social media last year was directed to push Aldridge instead of DeRozan as a potential All-Star -- even though at the time it was reasonably close which one was more deserving.

:lol So why trade for him

eDizzle20
I think very few teams will view DeRozan as a missing piece, but the turmoil in Golden State and Houston increase his value. Teams like Clippers, Lakers, Nets, and Knicks would seem like possibilities if they strike out on a big name free agent. The only real value they can offer to the Spurs is cap space, none of them have much for assets.

timvp
06-26-2019, 11:24 AM

https://media.giphy.com/media/5O5bkTUzW11WU/giphy.gif

offset formation
06-26-2019, 11:31 AM

Yep, I like this one and the Wiggins plus picks options.

GusT15
06-26-2019, 11:40 AM
Yep, I like this one and the Wiggins plus picks options.

I like K.Love more than Wiggins but they both have terrible contacts.

Love is a better fit for the current Spurs if we are to make a playoff run and Wiggins is a better fit for the young core age wise.

If anything,with a Love trade,the Spurs would have a White-Gay-Love trio lineup.That would at least make the Game Threads enjoyable.:lol

duncan2k5
06-26-2019, 11:43 AM
teach them what exactly? Jack up mid-range shots and mentally disappear in the playoffs?

Exactly... We don't want his pissy moods souring up the locker room... Dealing with LMA is bad enough

duncan2k5
06-26-2019, 11:44 AM
trading DeMar I think it's only to go for rebuild path, if you want to go for staying competitive there's is no trade which is a better option than just keep DeMar..

Completely false... We are better without him... Subtract the choking, he just isn't a stylistic fit for the team... Almost anyone else at his position would make us better

kobyz
06-26-2019, 12:01 PM
Completely false... We are better without him... Subtract the choking, he just isn't a stylistic fit for the team... Almost anyone else at his position would make us better

he's still great regular season player that take a lot of the scoring and playmaking load...

pad300
06-26-2019, 01:09 PM

Because everyone was lowballing us, and they thought the TOR package was the best on offer? Seriously, all these theoretical Clips/Lakers/Whoemever deals that people keep proposing as better than the TOR offer, do you actually believe they were offered at the time? I just see a lot of people making up rumours to shit on the PATFO...

San Antonio Slayer
06-26-2019, 01:11 PM
I am not ok with Demar's defensive effort but I am sure he would do overall better if he starts as a shooting guard with a defensive minded small forward with perimeter offense as a helper.

Mitch Cumsteen
06-26-2019, 01:15 PM
If Kawhi doesn't sign in Toronto.... send Derozen back to great white north. They freaking love him there. Green is probably gone and they would be in desperate need of a wing player. Take Ibaka and his expiring deal and call it a day.

Mugen
06-26-2019, 01:21 PM
Because everyone was lowballing us, and they thought the TOR package was the best on offer? Seriously, all these theoretical Clips/Lakers/Whoemever deals that people keep proposing as better than the TOR offer, do you actually believe they were offered at the time? I just see a lot of people making up rumours to shit on the PATFO...

So they thought the Toronto package was the best offer even though they didn't treat Derozan like a long-term piece the moment he got here per timvp?

And that shouldn't be held against the FO? Okay :lol

Mugen
06-26-2019, 01:22 PM
If Kawhi doesn't sign in Toronto.... send Derozen back to great white north. They freaking love him there. Green is probably gone and they would be in desperate need of a wing player. Take Ibaka and his expiring deal and call it a day.

:lol The love for Derozan in Toronto grew exponentially as soon as he was off the team tbh...

Drom John
06-26-2019, 01:33 PM
I probably only saw twenty regular season games and the playoff games, but I don't have a problem with DeRozan's effort on defense. DeRozan seemed to hustle at at least average NBA level.
I have a problem with DeRozan's aptitude on defense.
In his second Spurs season, I hope DeRozan might make the right team decision one more time a game, adding a few wins to the RS and a win in the playoffs.
I was hoping for a Finley like improvement last year. This year I'd settle for halfway from DeRozan 18-19 to Finley.
In season two, I hope DeRozan will get yanked for a missed play as if he was Green.

Cardinal
06-26-2019, 01:36 PM
My understanding is that the Toronto package was considered the best offer because it would keep the team competitive enough in the short-term (next two years or so). This seems apparent just by listening to Pop's presser following the trade. Less important was whether the players, most notably DeRozan, were (or could be?) key long-term pieces beyond their current contracts.

So you could criticize PATFO's approach to evaluating the trade offers last summer, but you can't necessarily criticize PATFO for not getting a long-term piece in DeRozan if that was never their intended goal with the trade.

NASpurs
06-26-2019, 01:42 PM
My understanding is that the Toronto package was considered the best offer because it would keep the team competitive enough in the short-term (next two years or so). This seems apparent just by listening to Pop's presser following the trade. Less important was whether the players, most notably DeRozan, were (or could be?) key long-term pieces beyond their current contracts.

So you could criticize PATFO's approach to evaluating the trade offers last summer, but you can't necessarily criticize PATFO for not getting a long-term piece in DeRozan if that was never their intended goal with the trade.

By "competitive" do you mean making the playoffs to keep Pop's playoff streak alive? Sickening. Aim low to feed egos I guess.

gambit1990
06-26-2019, 01:45 PM
if kawhi does leave TOR then it would be worth seeing what the spurs could get for demar :lol

masai has to be over him though...

Cardinal
06-26-2019, 02:09 PM
By "competitive" do you mean making the playoffs to keep Pop's playoff streak alive? Sickening. Aim low to feed egos I guess.

Yeah, "competitive" as in a playoff team - in fact, they had a decent chance to make the WCF this year. Again, I'm not saying I agree with the logic. I just think it will be impossible to accurately evaluate the trade until 2-3 years later, which will hinge on PATFO's decision to trade, extend, or let DeRozan go and the pieces that fall in place after that.

I'm sure Spurstalk would have lost its mind this past season if the Spurs were a decent but not terrible lottery team, ended up with the 12th pick, and drafted PJ Washington, for example. Kawhi leaving was never going to result in a good outcome in the short-term. That is, good in the sense that Spurs would remain a championship contender.

Bottom line, and to return to the thread topic, I have a hard time envisioning a viable trade involving DeRozan this summer given PATFO's initial reasoning behind the trade to get him in the first place.

EricB
06-26-2019, 02:53 PM

Leverage. Best trade offered. This has been covered.

look_at_g_shred
06-26-2019, 03:04 PM
Doesn't mean shit because spurs are going to do what they want to do, but when Windhorst ( on the zach lowe pod) mentioned the spurs being attached to Bojan, he and Lowe both agreed that spurs should trade Demar this offseason.

CGD
06-26-2019, 03:42 PM
I think the better question is what teams could use DDR?

spurraider21
06-26-2019, 04:15 PM
I think the better question is what teams could use DDR?
if the clippers dont land kawhi...

look_at_g_shred
06-26-2019, 04:25 PM
I'm thinking Charlotte if Kemba leaves

CGD
06-26-2019, 04:27 PM
if the clippers dont land kawhi...

Yeah, Except if he does a 1+1 with Toronto the don’t want to take on money for next year in the hopes of landing Leonard then. No guarantee DDR opts out

buttsR4rebounding
06-26-2019, 05:52 PM
Yeah, Except if he does a 1+1 with Toronto the don’t want to take on money for next year in the hopes of landing Leonard then. No guarantee DDR opts out

With his injury history if 2 stays it will be a 5 year deal.

vander
06-26-2019, 05:58 PM
IMO Spurs only hope to contend is to get lucky in the draft again. Gotta hope Derozen has a better year 2 in the system and then try to get a first round pick for him

duncan2k5
06-27-2019, 08:16 AM
he's still great regular season player that take a lot of the scoring and playmaking load...

But he isn't though... That's like saying Melo is a great regular season player... Putting up empty stats and negative impact on a team doesn't make u great... And it's not an anomaly... Dude is 30,and has been that way his entire career... It's downhill from here

duncan2k5
06-27-2019, 08:17 AM

Literally... LITERALLY anyone would have been better than demar, as long as picks were involved

T_Carter
06-27-2019, 12:02 PM
What are the possibilities that Derozan is traded before the start of the season? Any local rumors?

DPG21920
06-27-2019, 12:07 PM
What are the possibilities that Derozan is traded before the start of the season? Any local rumors?

It’s possible but nothing classified as likely. Depends on two things mostly: first and foremost does SA/DeRozan want an extension. If that is a no then it increases odds that he could be traded. Secondly if #1 happens would be which teams whiff in free agency. If some teams really want to win now, whiff in FA then that too bolsters the possibilities

Also, welcome to the forum :tu

JeffDuncan
06-27-2019, 03:02 PM

The only rumor I've heard is that all the local Jack in the Box restaurants are planning to adopt a 24 hour schedule, starting July 1, so that their parking lots will be available all night. But I haven't heard anything more.

NickiRasgo
06-27-2019, 05:53 PM
Hornets could be a good landing spot for DeMar once Hornets officially loses Kemba.

Titi Parisien
06-27-2019, 06:07 PM
DeMar DeRozan for Andre Drummond

Marcus Bryant
06-30-2019, 10:28 PM

And they did.

sasaint
06-30-2019, 10:37 PM
So they thought the Toronto package was the best offer even though they didn't treat Derozan like a long-term piece the moment he got here per timvp?

And that shouldn't be held against the FO? Okay :lol

I am thinking timvp missed that call. PATFO is planning on keeping him at least as long as his current contract runs.

timvp
07-01-2019, 12:01 AM
So do the Lakers or Knicks come calling for DeRozan? Hmmmm...

sasaint
07-01-2019, 12:04 AM

The Lakers are still in play for Number 2

cjw
07-01-2019, 12:05 AM

What on earth do the Knicks have to trade? I guess Knox and Robinson. Package a pick or two, and give us the trade exception, and whatever else you want Mr. Dolan.

JeffDuncan
07-01-2019, 12:06 AM

I'm having this fantastic vision of the Lakers and Knicks engaged in a bidding war to try to get DDR from us. Just let me sleep, don't wake me up.

Kurgan
07-01-2019, 12:08 AM

What assets do they have that would make this interesting?

sasaint
07-01-2019, 12:09 AM
I'm having this fantastic vision of the Lakers and Knicks engaged in a bidding war to try to get DDR from us. Just let me sleep, don't wake me up.

Sounds more like good drugs than sleep to me.

timvp
07-01-2019, 12:13 AM
The Lakers are still in play for Number 2

Perfect storm is Neph draws it out and then goes back to Toronto.

I'm not desperate for the Spurs to trade DD ... but if circumstances artificially inflate his value, I'd help him pack, tbh.

DPG21920
07-01-2019, 12:15 AM

I'm not desperate for the Spurs to trade DD ... but if circumstances artificially inflate his value, I'd help him pack, tbh.

Problem is Lakers and Knicks have next to nothing to offer other than absorbing him. LA gave up all their picks and players for AD. Knicks have some picks though but their players are meh other than Robinson who may be available considering NY just spent like 30M on 3 bigs :lol

Marcus Bryant
07-01-2019, 12:19 AM
Trade exception.

DPG21920
07-01-2019, 12:21 AM
Trade exception.

Sure, that’s what absorbing his salary does. But thats not enough to dump DeRozan IMO. They would need actual assets (picks preferably or solid enough players)

sasaint
07-01-2019, 12:22 AM

I have been desperate for the Spurs to trade Dumbmar since before the deadline last season.

NASpurs
07-01-2019, 12:22 AM
Future Clipper DeMar DeRozan.

sasaint
07-01-2019, 12:24 AM
Sure, that’s what absorbing his salary does. But thats not enough to dump DeRozan IMO. They would need actual assets (picks preferably or solid enough players)

Knicks picks are guaranteed lottery picks.

Marcus Bryant
07-01-2019, 12:26 AM
Knickerbockers need a name folks.

MoSpur02
07-01-2019, 12:27 AM
I think Derozan is a very good player and an even better person. Just not a good fit on this team.

DPG21920
07-01-2019, 12:28 AM
Knicks definitely make the most sense asset wise - SA gets Frank + a pick or two NY gets their all star

sasaint
07-01-2019, 12:28 AM
Knickerbockers need a name folks.

Knicks also need a backcourt. Theirs is trash.

Kurgan
07-01-2019, 12:33 AM
Knicks also need a backcourt. Theirs is trash.

They need a backcourt that can space the floor to pair with Barrett. Demar is certainly not that. If anything, Demar is the worst possible fit considering how ball dominant both him and Barrett are. If I was the Knicks FO, I stay the hell away from Defrozen.

sasaint
07-01-2019, 12:38 AM
They need a backcourt that can space the floor to pair with Barrett. Demar is certainly not that. If anything, Demar is the worst possible fit considering how ball dominant both him and Barrett are. If I was the Knicks FO, I stay the hell away from Defrozen.

Yeah, but the do need a name. Besides you are probably a lot more astute than anybody associated with the Knicks.

Even better - send them Patty, too!

Payote75
07-01-2019, 12:39 AM
Chicago and Orlando need a shooting guard and DD would fit. While the Knicks and lakers fit having seemingly struck out if kawitter goes to back to Toronto or the clippers all 3 could use DD but what do they really have to offer? Chicago and Orlando seem to have some sexy pieces. The Knicks also seem to be signing two year guys so DD would be perfect but nothing to offer.

MoSpur02
07-01-2019, 12:45 AM
Trading Demar would have to involve a third team right? I mean the Spurs would be to get a good player in return and a pick or picks. Right? The Lakers, Clippers, Knicks don't have anyone of value unless its someone like Danilo, Kuzma, or Knox and none of them is worth trading for. At least not in my opinion.

sasaint
07-01-2019, 12:46 AM
Chicago and Orlando need a shooting guard and DD would fit. While the Knicks and lakers fit having seemingly struck out if kawitter goes to back to Toronto or the clippers all 3 could use DD but what do they really have to offer? Chicago and Orlando seem to have some sexy pieces. The Knicks also seem to be signing two year guys so DD would be perfect but nothing to offer.

I have always been fine with Dumbmar for Otto Porter, Jr.

DPG21920
07-01-2019, 12:47 AM
Trading Demar would have to involve a third team right? I mean the Spurs would be to get a good player in return and a pick or picks. Right? The Lakers, Clippers, Knicks don't have anyone of value unless its someone like Danilo, Kuzma, or Knox and none of them is worth trading for. At least not in my opinion.

Not sure - Mitchell Robinson + some of those picks would be pretty damn enticing to me..

Texas_Ranger
07-01-2019, 12:48 AM
i am pretty sure we won't be giving away DeMar, but there is a chance he will put himself away.

MoSpur02
07-01-2019, 12:51 AM
I want Joe Harris. The Nets need to shed salary. Maybe a three team trade that somehow involves the Clippers sending picks to Brooklyn, Derozan to the Clippers, and Joe Harris to the Spurs.

Ice009
07-01-2019, 12:56 AM
Yeah, no. If the Spurs only get Joe Harris out of a Demar trade, no thanks.

DPG21920
07-01-2019, 01:01 AM
So NY only has 18M in cap space now - not enough to absorb DeRozan any longer. Would need to send salary back in any deal now.

timvp
07-01-2019, 01:06 AM
From Kevin Durant to Keith Bullock. Damn.

slick'81
07-01-2019, 01:13 AM
So NY only has 18M in cap space now - not enough to absorb DeRozan any longer. Would need to send salary back in any deal now.

Not happening

Marcus Bryant
07-01-2019, 01:18 AM
http://img1.bdbphotos.com/images/orig/h/t/htzb0kk3cbk0thbb.jpg?

From Kevin Durant to Keith Bullock. Damn.

BG_Spurs_Fan
07-01-2019, 02:43 AM
Fair to say that whatever possible trade scenario people look for they should consider players on a 2-year contract, even if they’re a bit overpaid. Spurs looking to have cap space in 2021, depending on contract extensions for Murray, Poeltl and White.

Big Empty
07-01-2019, 03:08 AM
If Kawhi leaves Toronto trade DD back to the Raptors for Powell & a first round pick.

CGD
07-01-2019, 08:17 AM

Yeah that makes it tough, especially since the spurs are already at 15 slots. Can’t really take back more than one player.

venitian navigator
07-01-2019, 08:34 AM
If Kawhi leaves Toronto trade DD back to the Raptors for Powell & a first round pick.

we don't need other guards...in case (considering Siakam is untouchable) we could consider Anunoby (the only one with no role in the championship) and one or two first...then Raptors can try to fill the forwaeds void with the Morris twins...

DPG21920
07-01-2019, 09:46 AM
Ny just signed Wayne Ellington too - so now they really have very little cap space left.

mo7888
07-01-2019, 10:58 AM
Ny just signed Wayne Ellington too - so now they really have very little cap space left.

Yes, but they are signing players on our timeline (2 year deals). It would have to wait until January but, there could still be an option with NY if we like a pick plus one of the PF's they signed. Randle or Portis?

BD24
07-01-2019, 11:08 AM
Maybe Clips or Lakers interested in DDR if they whiff on Kawhi. Wishful thinking I suppose

cd98
07-01-2019, 11:11 AM
DDR is going to be a Spurs next season. No real reason to trade him unless the Spurs get a great asset in return, but why would someone trade us something better than he is?

Payote75
07-01-2019, 10:47 PM
Id be ok with that but would need more only cause derozan averages more points unless they could absorb a patty contract. Haven't ch caked there cap.

Marcus Bryant
07-06-2019, 10:37 PM
Marginally the Spurs are better off keeping DeRozan than moving him before the 2019-20 season. Unless Pop feels up to the challenge of psychoanalyzing Westbrook for a couple seasons and the Spurs feel like being on the hook for $85 mil after the 2021 offseason.

Never has the West felt more wide open even with both LA franchises having put together superstar duos this summer. A lot of this has to do with Durant leaving the Bay Area and heading to the East. The Spurs realistically are closer to being contenders again than they’ve been since Zaza whatever closed out on a Nephew jumper in Game 1 of the 2017 WCF with the Spurs up by 20.

IMO the Spurs are one move away, but what is there?

Marcus Bryant
07-06-2019, 10:54 PM
You could argue that the Spurs offer to take back a bad contract using Mills and/or Bellinelli to offer a prospective trade partner cap relief within the next two seasons. The Spurs could conceivably take back a contract(s) totaling up to $18 mil in salary if they did that and retain DeRozan.

Ice009
07-06-2019, 11:18 PM
I agree, I think the Spurs are close, but I'm not sure what move they can make. I think if they can trade Derozan for someone that fits better that is at least an All-Star caliber player, they have a real shot. You are also probably right they'd have to take on a bad contract to get that said player. Not sure about a trade for Westbrook, though. Not a huge fan of his stat padding (disgusted actually) and stupid decisions on the court (pull up 3s and driving recklessly into the paint).

I also want to mention that I still say, that there is two players in the NBA that I think Pop can get the best out of and take their games to their highest levels to match their talent 1. Russell Westbrook and the other was 2. Demarcus Cousins (pre-injury). I think if those two were to buy in, Pop would be the right type of coach to push them to reach their max level and make them come close to realizing their highest potential. A soft coach can't push guys like that IMO, but also a coach that is too harsh will also lose guys like that, so I think you need someone like Pop that is balanced to get the best out of them.

You also never know, if they keep DeMar, they may still have a chance with him if he improves and is somehow able to take his game to the next level in his second year in the system.

DAF86
07-06-2019, 11:49 PM
Getting Butler for DeRozan would have been a great move.

Ice009
07-06-2019, 11:53 PM

When? Before Butler left the Sixers? It's too late for that now. Why even bring that up. What's your opinion on trading DeMar now, or at least before the trade deadline?

Mr. Body
07-06-2019, 11:58 PM

Butler is a much worse player than DDR. He's done nothing in the league and is a ball-dominant malcontent.

DAF86
07-07-2019, 12:03 AM
When? Before Butler left the Sixers? It's too late for that now. Why even bring that up. What's your opinion on trading DeMar now, or at least before the trade deadline?

I have been saying this back when Butler was on the Wolves and people laughed at me.

Butler is a much worse player than DDR. He's done nothing in the league and is a ball-dominant malcontent.

:lmao:lmao:lmao

Mr. Body
07-07-2019, 12:04 AM
Suck my dick. I'd far rather have DDR than Jimmy Butler, who can't stay on even shitty teams like Minnesota because he's a farkwad and people wind up hating him. DeRozan at least is a loyal, good dude.

EricB
07-07-2019, 12:05 AM
But Mr Body he’s got name recognition! That MATTERS!!!!

DAF86
07-07-2019, 12:08 AM
Suck my dick. I'd far rather have DDR than Jimmy Butler, who can't stay on even shitty teams like Minnesota because he's a farkwad and people wind up hating him. DeRozan at least is a loyal, good dude.

Butler just took Kawhi to a last minute game 7 winning shot. :lol

In which aspect of the game is DeRozan suppossed to be much better than Butler? Scoring, shooting, defense? :lol

DAF86
07-07-2019, 12:10 AM
But Mr Body he’s got name recognition! That MATTERS!!!!

Blind homers unite!!!

Mr. Body
07-07-2019, 12:16 AM
Jimmy Butler is probably the most overrated player in the league, if DeMarcus Cousins wasn't in it.

Mr. Body
07-07-2019, 12:17 AM
I mean, I get it. Twelve year olds playing video games, he's the man. In real life, the Sixers ain't cryin' he left.

tim_duncan_fan
07-07-2019, 12:22 AM
I don't get the hype around Jimmy Butler either. People keep paying him to shit on their coaches and players for what?

End of the day, he's a high second-tier player at best and doesn't change your franchise for the better.

Why deal with the inevitable headaches and childishness?

DAF86
07-07-2019, 12:35 AM
Butler's career metrics: OBPM: 3.1 DPM: 0.9 BPM: 4.0 VORP: 26.0

DeRozan's career metrics: OBPM: 0.7 DPM: -1.1 BPM: -0.5 VORP: 10.0

DeRozan seems like the much better person and teammate, but there shouldn't be any doubt who the better player is, tbh.

Mr. Body
07-07-2019, 12:55 AM
Chicago ain't sad dude left.
Minnesota ain't sad dude left.
Philly ain't sad dude left.

Go play EA Sports NBA for Weenies, you fucking weenie.

DAF86
07-07-2019, 01:02 AM
Chicago ain't sad dude left.
Minnesota ain't sad dude left.
Philly ain't sad dude left.

Go play EA Sports NBA for Weenies, you fucking weenie.

Under that premise I can say Toronto ain't sad DeRozan left.

Also, yeah, neither Chicago, Minnesota nor Philly were cool with Butler leaving. All wanted to keep him, unlike with what happened between Toronto and DeRozan where the Raptors coldly gave DeRozan away.

FlAVaK
07-07-2019, 01:30 AM
You could argue that the Spurs offer to take back a bad contract using Mills and/or Bellinelli to offer a prospective trade partner cap relief within the next two seasons. The Spurs could conceivably take back a contract(s) totaling up to $18 mil in salary if they did that and retain DeRozan.

Not a lot of contracts in that range out there, especially those ending in 2021:

Fournier
Dieng
Hardaway
Schröder
James Johnson

So throw away more of that 2021 cap space? Already gave away some with the last moves...

slick'81
07-07-2019, 02:42 AM
Under that premise I can say Toronto ain't sad DeRozan left.

Also, yeah, neither Chicago, Minnesota nor Philly were cool with Butler leaving. All wanted to keep him, unlike with what happened between Toronto and DeRozan where the Raptors coldly gave DeRozan away.

True butler actually turned down phillis max offer

Hyperhypo
07-07-2019, 03:25 AM
you guys act like demar is bad. that guy is good and just remember he didnt really have a summer with pop last year so unless we are getting a kings ransom then keep him

RC_Drunkford
07-07-2019, 04:53 PM
I say keep DeRozan for this season. The roster is a lot stronger this year and the west is wide open. The improvement of Murray and White will be key this season

GAustex
07-07-2019, 05:02 PM
Hope DDR can somehow find the magic and efficiency and leadership for a fellow who makes superstar money. So far there is no indication he has it in him.
Hope the young ens blossom and he does not get in their way.

duncan2k5
07-08-2019, 12:26 AM
you guys act like demar is bad. that guy is good and just remember he didnt really have a summer with pop last year so unless we are getting a kings ransom then keep him

This narrative needs to die... He did have a summer with Pop... He was traded in early July last year... Training camp is in October... NBA players don't see the coaches in July... This is still their time to do whatever they do in their personal offseason time... So plz stop saying he didn't have a summer with Pop... He had just as much time as anyone else

duncan2k5
07-08-2019, 12:26 AM
I say keep DeRozan for this season. The roster is a lot stronger this year and the west is wide open. The improvement of Murray and White will be key this season

Why keep him of he males the team worse?

duncan2k5
07-08-2019, 12:27 AM

spurraider21
07-08-2019, 12:29 AM
butler is better than derozan

duncan2k5
07-08-2019, 12:33 AM

Only on ST would they think otherwise

duncan2k5
07-08-2019, 12:33 AM

Only on ST would they think otherwise

duncan2k5
07-08-2019, 12:35 AM
We would have beat the Nuggets in 5 with butler instead of DDR... now ppl expect that we are gonna make noise is the playoffs when the guy on the team that takes the most shots can't even shoot threes nor play off ball in any capacity

RC_Drunkford
07-08-2019, 08:59 AM

because there is no better option out there. DeRozan is not on a max contract, let's see what we have first and then see what we can do at the trade deadline/in the offseason. I'd rather have him for 29 million than Westbrook for 40. The roster is well constructed right now, I'd take my chances with the west being wide open. I think Spurs can beat anybody if they click and Murray/White make a leap