PDA

View Full Version : Spurs signed Anthony Carter

smackdaddy11
07-30-2003, 06:11 PM
Just on Ticket 760. RC said it at the Spurs facility today.

Truthsayer
07-30-2003, 06:22 PM
http://www.nba.com/media/playerfile/anthony_carter.jpg2002-03 Statistics

TEAM G GS MPG FGM-A FG% 3PM-A 3P% FTM-A FT% OFF DEF TOT APG SPG BPG TO PF PPG
MIA 49 26 18.6 83-233 .356 0-8 .000 33-50 .660 .20 1.40 1.70 4.1 .92 .10 1.65 1.40 4.1

Personal
Mother is Brenda Carter of Atlanta
Nicknamed "AC"
Hosted a youth basketball camp at the University of Hawaii during the summer of 2000
Aspires to someday coach after completing his degree
Lists his favorite actor as Bruce Lee and his favorite musician as Tupac
Active in his home community of Atlanta as a mentor to disadvantaged youths in the "I Have a Dream" organization

KoriEllis
07-30-2003, 06:24 PM
Solid backup. I guess we should thank his agent for "forgetting".

Spurminator
07-30-2003, 06:24 PM
Favorite musician is Tupac? This guy is not Spurs material. :wink

spurster
07-30-2003, 06:25 PM
This is a reasonable signing.

On the plus side, his career averages are 22 MPG, 4.3 APG with 1.8 TOPG, 2.4 RPG, and 5.5 PPG.

On the minus side, his FG% is 38%, 3FG% is 11%, and FT% is 67%.

I know it's not Whitney, but you can't always sign greatness.

MissAllThat
07-30-2003, 06:27 PM
He seems like an ok backup.

junglespur
07-30-2003, 06:30 PM
Solid addition, likely for the Vet Min.

I always thought of AC as a poor man's Charlie Ward. (Is that an oxymoron ? I guess it's not as bad as "poor man's Negele Knight" or "poor man's Cory Alexander" ....)

But from what I've seen, his game is a lot like Charlie Heisman's -- good handle, strong athlete, no attitude/ego issues, solid defender, can distribute the rock, horrible outside shot...

Marcus Bryant
07-30-2003, 06:36 PM
The Spurs only had minimum money to work with so it would've taken a trade to get someone better than this.

Carter is not an offensive juggernaut but he does know how to run a team and is used to playing aggressive D.

Your 2003-04 http://www.nba.com/spurs/images/spurs_logo.gif:

Starters
PG Parker
SG Ginobili
SF Bowen or Turkoglu
PF Duncan
C Nesterovic

Bench
PG Carter
G Kerr
SG Mercer
SF Bowen or Turkoglu
F Horry
PF Rose
C Willis

IR
SG Brown
?
?

Well, that works for me. I would have to say that's the deepest and most versatile Spurs team I've seen in quite some time. It's time for me to enjoy the rest of this summer. Adios.

Nikos
07-30-2003, 06:37 PM
Ward is a horrible starting PG -- as a backup I guess he solid.

But Carter can't really be worse than Ward.

Spurminator
07-30-2003, 06:38 PM
Having not seen Carter play,... on a scale of 1-10 (1=Terry Porter, 10=Tony Parker), how would you guys classify Carter's quickness?

MrCarmenE
07-30-2003, 06:38 PM
RC told us that there may be a couple of more signings but that he doubted that they would go back to carrying 15 players on the roster.

timvp
07-30-2003, 06:46 PM
I like this signing. Carter is ultra-tough, which is something the Spurs need. He can also run the team and distribute the rock. He isn't going to score a lot, but he'll be good in his spot duty.

P.S.

Ghost should Carter since I think he's a balla. Before he made it in the league, he would play streetball in Atlanta and Memphis and would pay people if they beat him and he'd make people pay if he beat them. That is how he made his living before making the Heat.

I think that qualifies as a balla, right?

:Q

Solid D
07-30-2003, 06:46 PM
My impression of Carter is:

1. Carter is quick...he can beat a press.
2. He has good handle with a pass-first mentality
3. Pretty good defender. Not overly physical but strong enough to not get pushed around and quick enough to get steals. I don't recall him being mistake-prone.

Decent backup and he'll be able to keep up with Tony and push him in practice.

ducks
07-30-2003, 06:48 PM
carter sounds usefully against the suns
if carter has played street ball.

now everything is set. you fans should be excited. now all we have to do is wait for the season to start:cry

kohai
07-30-2003, 06:50 PM
Anthony Carter? This is Steve Kerr, you new best friend.

ducks
07-30-2003, 06:52 PM
RC told us that there may be a couple of more signings but that he doubted that they would go back to carrying 15 players on the roster

thanks moses:smokin2

2Cleva
07-30-2003, 06:52 PM
Solid veteran presence. Won't hurt you or really help when he's on the floor. Also not good enough to threaten Parker.

CosmicCowboyXXX
07-30-2003, 06:53 PM
good signing...our backup pointguard doesn't need to be a shooter but a steady distributor...we have some good bench scorers that can get it done if he gets them the rock...

junglespur
07-30-2003, 06:53 PM
Question:
Will AC be Tony's primary backup, or will Pop use AC and Kerr on a situational basis ? (For example, use AC if the team needs to be settled down or if the other team's PG is a tough aggressive defender, whereas use Kerr if the other team is in a zone or if the Spurs' outside shooting isn't hitting... )

I suspect Pop will use AC as the primary backup in the regular season because he likes a consistent rotation, and also it will save Kerr for the playoffs.

Solid D
07-30-2003, 06:56 PM
One more thing comes to mind about Carter. He played alongside Bruce Bowen in Miami for a year and a half.

KoriEllis
07-30-2003, 07:00 PM
True, Carter played with Bowen. Also Mercer played with Bowen.

Marcus Bryant
07-30-2003, 07:00 PM
Carter is here because he can D up and run a team. That's it. Any O from him is a bonus. Good signing considering what the Spurs had to work with.

Marcus Bryant
07-30-2003, 07:01 PM
Of course, perhaps his D isn't that great...

http://www.nba.com/media/spurs/carter_parker.jpg

Shaq H8ter
07-30-2003, 07:04 PM
You probably won't see Mercer and AC on the floor at the same time too much.
If both of their 3pt shots stay the way they are, that is.

But you know what?!
I'm looking at this Spurs team and I'm saying RUN BABY, RUN!

Outlet pass after outlet pass!

timvp
07-30-2003, 07:08 PM
Carter can play Solid D and pass very well. That is what the Spurs needed.

He's good enough to do the job, but also this gives Manu and Hedo a chance to play some 1.

P.S.

:lol @ MB.

Man, you can't take your summer break yet. We have you penciled in for a vacation September 10-17.

:fro

Marcus Bryant
07-30-2003, 07:13 PM
Sorry boss, I need the time off. :smokin

ducks
07-30-2003, 07:27 PM
scoop (http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/gen/wire?messageId=18557332)Spurs sign guards Anthony Carter, Devin Brown
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Associated Press

SAN ANTONIO (AP) _ The San Antonio Spurs have signed free agent guards Anthony Carter and Devin Brown, the team said Wednesday.

Contract terms were not made public for either player.

Carter, a four-year veteran out of Hawaii, played last year for Miami, averaging 4.1 points and 4.1 assists in 49 games.

In San Antonio, he is expected to replace Speedy Claxton as Tony Parker's backup at point guard. Claxton signed a free-agent deal with Golden State.

``Anthony Carter is a proven NBA player who has experience as both a starter and a reserve,'' said Spurs general manager R.C. Buford. ``He is a good defensive player and will fit well into our system.''

The 6-foot-2 Carter played his entire NBA career in Miami, where he is sixth on the team's all-time assists list with 1,063.

Brown, a former star at Texas-San Antonio, played briefly with the Spurs last season. He averaged 1.7 points and 1.0 rebounds in seven games.

Afterward he joined Fayetteville in the National Basketball Development League, finishing as the league's MVP and Rookie of the Year after averaging 16.9 points.

The 6-3 Brown later averaged 6.0 points and 3.6 rebounds in three games with Denver following the NBDL season.

adidas11
07-30-2003, 07:37 PM
Excellent pickup for the Spurs. Carter is a point guard with starting experience, and especially playoff starting experience. He playes hard, solid D. His offense leaves a lot to be desired, but I don't think the Spurs are counting on him to bring a lot of offensive punch. He should be a very good back up point guard.

Guru of Nothing
07-30-2003, 07:50 PM
Carter is a point guard with starting experience, and especially playoff starting experience.

If memory serves, a couple of years ago Carter got thrust into the starting PG role in the playoffs when Hardaway was injured, and he performed very well.

SpursFanInAustin
07-30-2003, 08:42 PM
He's not as talented as Speedy, but not bad, none the less. He's someone who Tony Parker won't have to look over his shoulder at, unless he's playing like absolute dogsheeyat! Havent really seen him play much, except for his rookie season when the Heat and the Knicks had their physical playoff battles and he won Game 3 with a shot behind the backboard. Threw up a lucky ass prayer and it went in. Hopefully he can help guard Marbury when Parker's getting lit up. :wacko

SequSpur
07-30-2003, 09:35 PM
Anthony Carter Sucks.

CoachTF
07-30-2003, 09:49 PM
I like this move because of what Carter will bring to practice the bench and to the city. He is a guy that has earned some respect from Dr. Jack Ramsey who watches a ton of Heat games. It never hurts to play for Riley either and he will be a real test for Tony in practice. He will push TP every single day and his personality will not be one that becomes a threat. He is a real team guy and he will be active in the community.

Having a true point behind Parker was a must and he will provide some real toughness in spurts on defense with the quicker points. He also has the ability to see the entire floor and calm his team down. Carter can also play pressure ball full court and if you watch him real close he has a real knack for reading plays and anticipating where the ball is going to end up. He will be one of those players that will be talked about who added vital team chemistry because this guy loves to work.

mrcoon
07-30-2003, 09:56 PM
Carter is ultra-tough just like his favorite actor >>Lists his favorite actor as Bruce Lee

Great minds think alike! So, don't let us down. Funny how s#it works out huh? We should send his ex-Agent :shootme a big old thank you card! I'm sure Jax and his agent are :argue right about now, and Jax probably wants to :makemyday him. :cat

GrandeDavid
07-30-2003, 09:58 PM
I think its a good signing, especially considering what was left on the market. My only concern might be his FG% and FT%, but I don't expect him to get many trips to the line nor take many shots. He'd probably be more of a steadying hand off the bench. Then again, he may have a breakout year in San Antonio as has been the recent trend with free agents (Derek Anderson, Speedy Claxton...).

texbound
07-30-2003, 10:18 PM
Nice pickup. I assumed carter was going back to Miami. I figured a deal had to be worked out between Miami and Carter to have Carter's agent "forget" the option. Maybe he just wanted to be out of Miami really bad. Anyway, good pickup by the Spurs.

Tex

MI21
07-30-2003, 10:59 PM
Good Pickup.

He will distribute the ball well to everyone, and play tough Defense the whole way. With all the bench firepower we dont need a PG that can score, just one that can play D and pass.

Good Signing.

(I think Carter can make a claim for the worst guard shooting wise, in the league.)

pseudofan
07-31-2003, 12:27 AM
Yeah, very nice pickup... :rolleyes

Got a player that doesn't know what 4 million dollars looks like and doesn't know what day of the month or what time it is... :lol

Sounds to me like he could be dumber than Jackson...

Great move Pop.

mattyc2422
07-31-2003, 04:20 AM
Hmm. Interesting stuff.
Out of all the PGs on the market, I didn't really expect Carter to be a guy that we would target.

Good defender, good passer and a solid guy.

I was hopeful of getting Shammond Williams, but I suppose Carter is the better fit in the Spurs system.

Nice.

T Park Num 9
07-31-2003, 05:12 AM
I see mr and mrs pseudofan share the same stupidity on Anthony Carter.

Cant have all stars at every position people.

Stop your constant bitching.

mattyc2422
07-31-2003, 05:19 AM
Cant have all stars at every position people.
Unless ya play for that Harlem mob. :wink

Ghost Writer
07-31-2003, 10:22 AM
I would've rathered Whitney.

:cooldevil

spurster
07-31-2003, 10:45 AM
I would've rathered Whitney.
I wish the Spurs exercised their option on Claxton.

I suppose this is the best the Spurs could get offering a min salary and backup minutes.