PDA

View Full Version : 5 Big Men The Spurs Could Sign (Restricted Free Agent Edition)

timvp
06-29-2019, 05:31 PM
It's headlined by Bobby Portis but there are a few other notable names. Kleber is supposedly a hot commodity but he doesn't especially stand out. Since I wrote this article, Kornet has become unrestricted, so there's that. Lyles as a high upside sleeper? Hmm. Due to formatting issues, it's easier if you just read it here. (https://www.spurstalk.com/spurs-sign-restricted-free-agent-big-men-targets/)

slick'81
06-29-2019, 05:36 PM
Wasnt porter looking for 16 mil per?Id love him here but obviously we cant afford him

timvp
06-29-2019, 05:38 PM
Wasnt porter looking for 16 mil per?Id love him here but obviously we cant afford him

Yeah, Portis' agent is supposedly looking for $16 million per year. We'll see, though. Restricted status tends to scare a lot of teams away. I doubt the Spurs can get him with the MLE but it's not impossible depending on what the teams with cap room do.

GreekSpursfan
06-29-2019, 06:23 PM
I heard that Bucks are interested in Portis as well if they don't manage to resign some of their free agents.

Blackhaus
06-29-2019, 06:28 PM
Cheese and rice, 16mil for a portis level player now.....this nba is outa control

R. DeMurre
06-29-2019, 07:36 PM
I'd take a chance on Kornet if the price is right, which I imagine it will be. He's younger than Derrick White, and does some things well.

Shakril
06-29-2019, 08:05 PM
Spurs have Aldridge and Poeltl, so the Big Man spot is more or less taken care of.
Signing one makes no sense. Last Season Pop barely played 2 regulary and 3rd as a back up. Dont see that changing. Right now Poeltl has shown he can play jsut needs to improve Free Throws and short distance Jumpers. Both are fixable and Poeltl already said he would work on it this summer. In my opinion he was the most important Player in the Playoffs from a defensive standpoint.

phxspurfan
06-29-2019, 10:15 PM
Cheese and rice, 16mil for a portis level player now.....this nba is outa control

:pop: we only pay Mills and Gasol that type of money

buujness
06-29-2019, 10:38 PM
I don't think the Spurs are going to go the potential route, given the youth of much of the roster, so my guess is that Kleber is the most likely of these 5.

tbdog
06-29-2019, 10:44 PM
:pop: we only pay Mills and Gasol that type of money

Come on. Both were proven winners.

Chinook
06-30-2019, 12:06 AM
I liked Porter quite a bit during that "famous" 2015 draft. I'm fully in the combo-forward camp, but if you believe in Bobby, by all means get him. Worst comes to worst, he'll be tradeable on that deal. I think teams will fall in love with his raw numbers and give him too much money. Washington probably doesn't love him all that much, but they'd likely match an MLE offer. Assuming Gay comes back, I'm good with the big-man depth as is. Maybe get a guy like Eubanks to hold down the third center spot, but Aldridge and Jakob should get all of the minutes there. Eubanks or even Metu could handle the spare minutes. Let Gay and Samanic handle the backup PF duties. Bertans either has to start or go somewhere else. Maybe trading him for Portis could make sense, though there are definitely other trades I'd prefer.

gambit1990
06-30-2019, 12:20 AM
not familiar with any of them but kleber, who i like.

gambit1990
06-30-2019, 12:39 AM
how does one mention / tag people on ST ?

appreciate the analysis timvp, it definitely deserves traffic. i hate ads but don't mind them on ST. keep up the good work. idk who's in charge or what costs are but this could be a profitable site (if it isn't already).

R. DeMurre
06-30-2019, 11:08 AM
how does one mention / tag people on ST ?

appreciate the analysis timvp, it definitely deserves traffic. i hate ads but don't mind them on ST. keep up the good work. idk who's in charge or what costs are but this could be a profitable site (if it isn't already).

:tu