PDA

View Full Version : Top 7 Unrestricted Free Agents The Spurs Might Be Able To Sign With The MLE

timvp
06-29-2019, 05:37 PM
The more I researched the realistic crop of free agents that could be signed with the MLE, the more I was underwhelmed. There are some decent pieces and possible starters ... but nothing in terms of a franchise-altering player available. Of the bunch, I guess I would go with Thaddeus Young or Al-Farouq Aminu. See the rest of the names and my analysis of each player here (https://www.spurstalk.com/spurs-free-agent-targets-7-players-spurs-could-sign-this-summer/).

(If you don't care enough to click, the others in the top seven are JaMychal Green, Marcus Morris, Terrence Ross, Trevor Ariza and Frank Kaminsky, tbh.)

Degoat
06-29-2019, 05:45 PM
I think Marcus morris or Aminu would really help us out but I can’t see either of them coming here. I think Thaddeus is a realistic option but he’s kinda meh... same with JaMychal....Arizas old.... Terrence Ross would be exciting but he will be expensive.... that leaves Frank the tank :pctoss lol

slick'81
06-29-2019, 05:46 PM
Im not that high on green but alot of those guys could def fill a need at 3/4

NASpurs
06-29-2019, 05:57 PM
Kori (https://news.vuukle.com/profile/d8710ccb-4c87-4f3f-a726-a5c8caeee493)44m

The Spurs will likely stick to their MO and sign an aging player, who they should have targeted years ago. So I'm guessing that's Ariza.

​What a troll. Ban that person.

r0drig0lac
06-29-2019, 05:57 PM
1- Aminu
2- Morris
3- Young
4- Ariza

EricB
06-29-2019, 05:59 PM
It of all those guys Marcus Morris is my vote.

however I’d still all I could to dump salary or do a S&t for Bojan Bogdanovic

spurraider21
06-29-2019, 06:00 PM
wheres that guy who keeps pimping darius miller

GreekSpursfan
06-29-2019, 06:14 PM
Thad Young it is then, fuck.

Genovaswitness
06-29-2019, 06:15 PM
The more I researched the realistic crop of free agents that could be signed with the MLE, the more I was underwhelmed. There are some decent pieces and possible starters ... but nothing in terms of a franchise-altering player available. Of the bunch, I guess I would go with Thaddeus Young or Al-Farouq Aminu. See the rest of the names and my analysis of each player here (https://www.spurstalk.com/spurs-free-agent-targets-7-players-spurs-could-sign-this-summer/).

(If you don't care enough to click, the others in the top seven are JaMychal Green, Marcus Morris, Terrence Ross, Trevor Ariza and Frank Kaminsky, tbh.)

what happened with kawhi

Lets get kaminsky

slick'81
06-29-2019, 06:16 PM
what happened with kawhi

Lets get kaminsky

Not sure the tank wants to be 3rd big or splitting miñutes with jakob

NASpurs
06-29-2019, 06:23 PM

The guy would automatically start. Pop couldn't help himself.

timvp
06-29-2019, 06:24 PM

If Aldridge plays at the same level he did last year (toward the end of the season, especially) Kaminsky and Aldridge could work on D. Somewhat.

It'd be a great pairing on offense, though.

DPG21920
This is so underwhelming. I just don’t understand not picking a direction; either push like other teams to truly get better or start thinking more about the future.

It’s one thing to wait out the unbeatable Warriors; it’s another to do nothing when it’s wide open.

Genovaswitness

getting frank the tank would mean we get rid of one of our front court pieces. He’s a modern big

GAustex
06-29-2019, 06:26 PM
Can the Tank guard anything?
I recall bigs and smalls feasting on him
Maybe it doesn’t matter for the price I guess

NASpurs
06-29-2019, 06:30 PM
But seriously, is Frank Kaminsky a rich man's Matt Bonner?

Blackhaus
06-29-2019, 06:31 PM
I don’t see any of those players taking the mid level, besides maybe frank. Unless they ring chase with the lakers. I can already see Korver going that way.

acoelho1
06-29-2019, 06:35 PM
One name not on the list that I think the Spurs will consider is Taj Gibson. He's a tough & smart player with solid defense even at 34 years old and should come relatively cheap. He's also a great teammate by all accounts and just fits a need in that we need more toughness down on the block.

timvp
06-29-2019, 06:44 PM
One name not on the list that I think the Spurs will consider is Taj Gibson. He's a tough & smart player with solid defense even at 34 years old and should come relatively cheap. He's also a great teammate by all accounts and just fits a need in that we need more toughness down on the block.

Thought about him. Intangibles are an obvious fit. Problem is I don't think the Spurs can survive another non-three-point shooter. And he's slowing to the point that he's almost a center-only.

Mugen
06-29-2019, 07:03 PM
This is so underwhelming. I just don’t understand not picking a direction; either push like other teams to truly get better or start thinking more about the future.

It’s one thing to wait out the unbeatable Warriors; it’s another to do nothing when it’s wide open.

I mean, pretty easy to understand for a year plus now....

They were shaken to their core by last summer (even more now that Toronto won)...Pop is perfectly content with a few 1st round exits to close his career.

Why swing for homeruns when they can play it safe, still most likely end up a 7th or 8th seed and have Pop/RC go "It's just basketball..." when they're knocked out.

Nobody will hold their feet to the fire. The media is scared of them and the fans will still go since it's the only game in town. SA isn't LA FWIW tbh....

MoSpur02
06-29-2019, 07:33 PM
Thaddeus Young and Terrence Ross are my top 2. After that Aminu and Green would be the others I think would make a good fit.

acoelho1
06-29-2019, 09:37 PM
Thought about him. Intangibles are an obvious fit. Problem is I don't think the Spurs can survive another non-three-point shooter. And he's slowing to the point that he's almost a center-only.

He gave Rudy fits last year so I think he can still play the 4. We really need someone like him to combat guys like Millsap who we had a hard time handling last year. Morris could be that guy but I just don't see the Spurs going after him.

Russ
06-29-2019, 09:47 PM
None of the above (all too old). (Maybe Kaminsky.)

phxspurfan
06-29-2019, 10:05 PM
alot of those guys could def fill a need at 3/4

Fill a need of what, the refs calling a foul on some one other than Mills/Forbes when LeBron travels through the paint? Only real helpful 3-D guy there is Aminu and he's not coming here, sadly. Hell, he's probably going to join one of the super teams.

objective
06-30-2019, 01:11 AM
Probably can't afford Thaddeus Young.

Kaminsky I dread. He'd be the perfect fit for the Suicide Lineup. He's so bad that it's like it's destiny to sign him to a 4/40 or whatever the full MLE is.

venitian navigator
06-30-2019, 01:16 AM
onw thing that's necessary to know is how many teams will have the max MLE (first year 9,2 millions) available, because these will be the teams we'll be in competitions with...
If I remember correctly, teams that go in the market with cap space have no MLE available (so when they join their main targets they fill finish the cap space and will be limited to offer minimums contracts) while teams that exceeded the luxury tax have just the little MLE (something like 4 millions the first year)...
Depending the competitions we are facing, we could have a better frame of who are the free agents really available for us...

cd021
06-30-2019, 02:36 AM
I have always liked Aminu tbh, he'd be a solid addition.

Murray, White, DDR, Aminu, LMA
Mills, Forbes, Walker, Gay, Poeltl

That's a incredibly deep team and probably a top 10 offense and maybe a top 5 defensive team.

BG_Spurs_Fan
06-30-2019, 03:31 AM
I think the Spurs will target a big, rather than a wing and would overpay a bit for a shorter term contract - one or two years. I don't see them giving 4yr/$39mil to anyone other than for a homerun FA acquisition that's expected to get much more, e.g. M.Morris or Thad Young.

kobyz
06-30-2019, 04:19 AM
What about Enes Kanter? him and Pop would jell very well together, both bigtime left winger supporters in their own country

kobyz
06-30-2019, 04:39 AM
But I would like to go for a younger option, more risky but still some upside left, players like Jabari Parker(younger Rudy?), Rodney Hood, RHJ, etc...

callo1
06-30-2019, 05:50 AM
Aminu over the rest imho. He is a much more versatile defender, and he can space the floor on offense. While his 3pt % won't knock your socks off, he does shoot it considerably better from the corners, something the Spurs could find of great benefit. His length is superb, with a wingspan a bit over 7'3".

With Aminu on the floor, that second unit would have much needed rebounding and overall defensive stopping power.

With the starting group on the floor, he can take defensive assignments Rudy simply can't handle.

Always been an Aminu fan...the guy is very underrated imo. A smart tough player who never draws attention to himself with off or on the court antics. He just goes about his business like a professional should.

timtonymanu
06-30-2019, 07:34 AM
Aminu is underrated? Clearly some don't watch him play.

Ice009
06-30-2019, 11:05 AM
Where were all you guys when I wanted the Spurs to get Aminu 3 or 4 years ago when he signed for a really low contract with Dallas? Hardly anyone back then wanted him. I said I thought he could turn into a really good serviceable player/versatile defender.

vavvi
06-30-2019, 12:36 PM
Murray, White, DDR, Aminu, LMA

Awful spacing. Would be hard to watch.
But a good defensive unit obviously.

JeffDuncan
06-30-2019, 01:10 PM
Where were all you guys when I wanted the Spurs to get Aminu 3 or 4 years ago when he signed for a really low contract with Dallas? ...

Back then, people were probably infatuated with some freaky looking character with big hands who isn't even here any more. It's a good lesson in taking the larger view.

You are right to say, told ya so.

vavvi
06-30-2019, 05:22 PM
Looks like only Kaminsky and Green could cost MLE or less