PDA

View Full Version : Keldon Johnson -- The Grind

offset formation
06-30-2019, 10:15 AM
Spurs may have picked up a stud -- some really nice highlights starting around 23:00 mark.

Enjoy.

https://youtu.be/B3bkTN6rf6I

Dejounte
06-30-2019, 10:23 AM
Dude is hard to understand with how he mumbles a lot lmao

MoSpur02
06-30-2019, 11:11 AM
Spurs may have picked up a stud -- some really nice highlights starting around 23:00 mark.

Enjoy.

https://youtu.be/B3bkTN6rf6I

Thanks for sharing. Looks like he has a good three point shot, but obviously could get better with time. His handles need work.

DPG21920
06-30-2019, 11:24 AM
Thanks for sharing. Looks like he has a good three point shot, but obviously could get better with time. His handles need work.

He has a lot of good tools; definitely needs to work on his handles if he is going to play SF and also really needs to work on strength and finishing through contact.

Really good all around skillset that seems like it can be fine tuned in many areas and he seems like a hard worker which always bodes well.

Blackhaus
06-30-2019, 01:25 PM
Me like this pick already, really looking forward to him developing.

06-30-2019, 01:28 PM
his release point reminds me of KD. If he stopped leaning back when he shoots, his shot is really quick too, he doesn’t dip at all.

Blackhaus
06-30-2019, 01:35 PM
his release point reminds me of KD. If he stopped leaning back when he shoots, his shot is really quick too, he doesn’t dip at all.

great form and effortless release, could turn into a really really good shooter.

jermaine
06-30-2019, 05:02 PM
I watch 0% of college basketball. I just watched some video of him scoring 23 pts against Duke on YouTube. Dide we just get another steal in the draft?? Serious replies please? Cuz I swear idk

Blackhaus
06-30-2019, 05:25 PM
I watch 0% of college basketball. I just watched some video of him scoring 23 pts against Duke on YouTube. Dide we just get another steal in the draft?? Serious replies please? Cuz I swear idk

i think he’s going to be solid, high quality 3rd or 4th player on a good team

offset formation
06-30-2019, 05:39 PM

Yes, I was thinking the same thing. Great shot and form.

And his handles do need help. He shows the ball too much such that he'll get picked by the better defensemen in the league.

But I think the kid -- remembering he's only 19 years old and will undoubtedly only get better in the Spurs development program -- gives me lots of comfort because he's reportedly a gym rat. And he loves the defensive side. And he's already got a shot.

Thinking he might just have been a steal at 29 and worthy of the trade that sent nephew packing.

JeffDuncan
06-30-2019, 05:44 PM

We won't know for years, but Keldon appears to offer significantly more than you'd expect to get at #29. On that basis he looks like at least a bargain, and maybe a steal.

offset formation
06-30-2019, 11:47 PM
We won't know for years, but Keldon appears to offer significantly more than you'd expect to get at #29. On that basis he looks like at least a bargain, and maybe a steal.

I think we'll see how Pop uses him this year to know what his trajectory looks like. Not saying he'll be starting 5 games into his rookie year like parker did, but I could see him getting solid minutes by year's end if his game translates well. We all know Pop loves him some D guys.

spurraider21
06-30-2019, 11:50 PM
short neck tbh

offset formation
06-30-2019, 11:53 PM
short neck tbh

You know what they say about guys with short necks...

Straight shots :D:D:D:bobo

playblair
07-01-2019, 12:03 AM
his group refused to let the spurs interview him.........hes going to be a steal but he has a kawhi uncle situation...........

Kurgan
07-01-2019, 09:58 PM
his group refused to let the spurs interview him.........hes going to be a steal but he has a kawhi uncle situation...........

He's not going to be a steal. And his group is going to be irrelevant because he doesn't have a star ceiling. But yeah, it's weird that the Spurs wasted the Kawhi pick on this bust with his questionable athleticism, questionable wingspan, and no real nba skills besides an overrated defensive reputation.

His narcissism is also off the charts - already drove a 300k car and had a documentary made about himself when he wasn't even a top two player at Kentucky.

Russ
07-01-2019, 10:10 PM
He's not going to be a steal. And his group is going to be irrelevant because he doesn't have a star ceiling. But yeah, it's weird that the Spurs wasted the Kawhi pick on this bust with his questionable athleticism, questionable wingspan, and no real nba skills besides an overrated defensive reputation.

His narcissism is also off the charts - already drove a 300k car and had a documentary made about himself when he wasn't even a top two player at Kentucky.

I respectfully disagree. I think Keldon Johnson will be remembered as one of the Spurs' better late round draft picks.

If he "wasn't even a top two player at Kentucky," the SEC press did not see it that way -- KJ was voted SEC Freshman of the Year over those other two KU freshmen.

KJ seems way more athletic than his detractors will acknowledge. He has a pretty high ceiling on both ends of the court.

And to say they wasted pick 29 on KJ? That's a bit over the line.

GAustex
07-01-2019, 10:12 PM
First game KJ scrapped and that’s it. Looked ok doing it though.
Need more before a decision one way or the other

Kurgan
07-01-2019, 10:28 PM
If he "wasn't even a top two player at Kentucky," the SEC press did not see it that way -- KJ was voted SEC Freshman of the Year over those other two KU freshmen.

The SEC press did not pick Keldon as the newcomer of the year. They picked his Kentucky teammate Tyler Herro.

https://247sports.com/college/kentucky/Article/Kentucky-basketball-Tyler-Herro-AP-SEC-Newcomer-of-the-Year-129985240/

You're thinking of the other award which is voted on by the coaches.

BTW, this same Kentucky teammate had a huge game tonight in the summer league as the Hawks smacked around the Lakers. 18 pts/4 asts on 50% 3 pt shooting with a crazy +31 for Herro while Keldon did jack shit.

Russ
07-01-2019, 10:39 PM
The SEC press did not pick Keldon as the newcomer of the year. They picked his Kentucky teammate Tyler Herro.

https://247sports.com/college/kentucky/Article/Kentucky-basketball-Tyler-Herro-AP-SEC-Newcomer-of-the-Year-129985240/

You're thinking of the other award which is voted on by the coaches.

BTW, this same Kentucky teammate had a huge game tonight in the summer league as the Hawks smacked around the Lakers. 18 pts/4 asts on 50% 3 pt shooting with a crazy +31 for Herro while Keldon did jack shit.

Time will tell.

offset formation
07-01-2019, 10:55 PM

Coach Calipari completely disagrees. Says he's a gym rat and hard worker.

And guess what, if he wants a 300K car instead of a 1994 beat up Blazer, I'll like him even more.

Fuck neph.

Kurgan
07-01-2019, 11:07 PM
Coach Calipari completely disagrees. Says he's a gym rat and hard worker.

And guess what, if he wants a 300K car instead of a 1994 beat up Blazer, I'll like him even more.

Fuck neph.

No one gives a shit about Calipari's opinion. His job is to hype up his outgoing players so they get drafted higher. Makes recruiting easier. Did you expect him to say that Keldon was a scrub that played erratically and didn't live up to the hype. Of course not.

Pavlov
07-01-2019, 11:16 PM
Can you point out on the doll where Keldon hurt you?

offset formation
07-01-2019, 11:19 PM
Can you point out on the doll where Keldon hurt you?

Lmao. Neph has damaged the Spursfan psyche. We are all a bit punchy. All the more reason to say, fuck neph.

exstatic
07-02-2019, 08:51 AM
No one gives a shit about Calipari's opinion. His job is to hype up his outgoing players so they get drafted higher. Makes recruiting easier. Did you expect him to say that Keldon was a scrub that played erratically and didn't live up to the hype. Of course not.

Is his job to hype them AFTER they've already been drafted? Because that's when his quotes came out. I would also think that an award voted on coaches would be more relevant than one voted on by the media.

exstatic
07-02-2019, 08:52 AM
Lmao. Neph has damaged the Spursfan psyche. We are all a bit punchy. All the more reason to say, fuck neph.

Kurgen isn't a Spurs fan.

Ocotillo
07-02-2019, 03:29 PM
Is his job to hype them AFTER they've already been drafted? Because that's when his quotes came out. I would also think that an award voted on coaches would be more relevant than one voted on by the media. Ah, but the most coveted award the one voted on by Spurstalk trolls......:rolleyes

ceperez
07-02-2019, 08:05 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cStfFFrTl6o

Danny Green 2.0

Dennis the Menace
07-02-2019, 08:06 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cStfFFrTl6o

Danny Green 2.0

Hahahaha danny still can’t even dribble....

ceperez
07-02-2019, 08:21 PM
Hahahaha danny still can’t even dribble....

Version 2... meaning improved version.

cutewizard
07-02-2019, 08:25 PM
a player

cutewizard
07-02-2019, 08:26 PM
This guy can lay boys

picnroll
07-02-2019, 08:30 PM
Where’d Kurgan go?

Gandalf
07-02-2019, 08:30 PM
This guy can lay boys

Hope not - he looks like he could be really good, and that's a felony.

offset formation
07-02-2019, 08:34 PM
Just dropped 29 pts in 25 min.

His high in college was 27 pts.

Food for thought. He's going to be a player pushing for early playing time because he plays D. And he'll stay on the court because he scores without being the focus.

He's gonna be good. And I'm super happy he was the compensation for neph. Fuck that guy.

RC_Drunkford
07-02-2019, 08:41 PM
the intriguing thing about this kid is how much he can add to his game. Post ups, pick & rolls, midrange pull ups that's what he has to work on. Being that he's only 19 I can easily see him have a complete all-around game pretty soon. He can be a lot more than just a 3-and-D player

offset formation
07-02-2019, 08:45 PM
Hope not - he looks like he could be really good, and that's a felony.

Slow clap. Well done!

:bobo

Dennis the Menace
07-02-2019, 08:46 PM
the intriguing thing about this kid is how much he can add to his game. Post ups, pick & rolls, midrange pull ups that's what he has to work on. Being that he's only 19 I can easily see him have a complete all-around game pretty soon. He can be a lot more than just a 3-and-D player

Not sure on the comps/measurables but reminds me of a lengthier Dwayne Wade or lighter version of Kawhi

vy65
07-02-2019, 08:55 PM
This guy can lay boys

Just like you

wildcardX
07-02-2019, 09:23 PM
Where’d Kurgan go?

Found him.....

https://www.positivecoach.org/media/521967/6a0111688344f8970c011571fe9e8a970b.jpg

GAustex
07-02-2019, 09:25 PM
Just dropped 29 pts in 25 min.

His high in college was 27 pts.

Food for thought. He's going to be a player pushing for early playing time because he plays D. And he'll stay on the court because he scores without being the focus.

He's gonna be good. And I'm super happy he was the compensation for neph. Fuck that guy.
If he can translate something like tonite to the big boys league that would be something. Being a threat to score without being the focus and playing D is what the Spurs need.

GAustex
07-02-2019, 09:28 PM
^ one good game against some really bad scrubs is not enough proof so he needs to show more against better completion before anointment

offset formation
07-02-2019, 09:31 PM
^ one good game against some really bad scrubs is not enough proof so he needs to show more against better completion before anointment

Totally. But he just shined against a bunch of older players and he's only 19.