PDA

View Full Version : Quick Reaction to Spurs Signing DeMarre Carroll

timvp
06-30-2019, 07:55 PM
https://www.spurstalk.com/spurs-sign-demarre-carroll-reaction-analysis/

TL;DR: pretty good but he's not without flaws that could limit his value.

tbdog
06-30-2019, 08:04 PM
Do you expect Carroll can play along side Poeltl?

slick'81
06-30-2019, 08:04 PM
Good,cheap value

timvp
06-30-2019, 08:07 PM
Do you expect Carroll can play along side Poeltl?

Yeah, Carroll can play PF next to Poeltl at C. He could also play PF next to Aldridge at C, IMO.

DAF86
06-30-2019, 08:08 PM
Yeah, Carroll can play PF next to Poeltl at C. He could also play PF next to Aldridge at C, IMO.

Do you see Pop starting him or having him come off the bench?

06-30-2019, 08:09 PM
Far from the 3 and D player he was 5 years ago, but as Rudy Gay insurance, it's an okay move.

GAustex
06-30-2019, 08:13 PM
He will eat minutes and not suck
Hopefully

baseline bum
06-30-2019, 08:15 PM
Wow, got him a lot cheaper than I was expecting.

timvp
06-30-2019, 08:20 PM
Do you see Pop starting him or having him come off the bench?

My guess is he'd come off the bench to begin the season. If the fifth starter (Poeltl? Bertans? Gay?) falters, then Carroll would get a chance.

Logically, I think Carroll makes sense as a starter. Shoots enough threes at a good enough percentage to spread the court. Big enough that he should be able to survive against any starting power forward. His quickness and tenacity would also help cover some of the holes created by DeRozan's inconsistent (to put it nicely) defense.

LittleCriminal
06-30-2019, 08:25 PM
He's ranked in the 70s on nba2k.. So I guess he's OK coming off the bench...

Russ
06-30-2019, 08:28 PM
I think DeMarre Carroll is the best player in the history of professional (or non-professional) basketball. :) :lol

Amuseddaysleeper
06-30-2019, 08:32 PM
What the hell is, we take all the crappy former raptor players? First DeMar and now this?

Ugh hate this

slick'81
06-30-2019, 08:35 PM
What the hell is, we take all the crappy former raptor players? First DeMar and now this?

Ugh hate this

People werent expecting anything signifigant were they?

TheCerebral1
06-30-2019, 08:37 PM
Scrub, more trash on this roster. We're circling the drain for a first round out. Enjoy boys. Fuck DeMarre Caroll and the rest of these scrub ass players.

slick'81
06-30-2019, 08:38 PM
Scrub, more trash on this roster. We're circling the drain for a first round out. Enjoy boys. Fuck DeMarre Caroll and the rest of these scrub ass players.

Optimism :rollin

mo7888
06-30-2019, 08:39 PM
The big question here is, are we done? Will be be active on the trade market now?

FkLA
06-30-2019, 08:39 PM

Fuck outta here, bitch.

Play Boban
06-30-2019, 08:45 PM
For the money it’s a good signing tbh. I just hope poop doesn’t feed him too many minutes to the detriment of our young guys fwiw....

cutewizard
06-30-2019, 08:53 PM
gOOD SIGNING

Gordy58
06-30-2019, 08:54 PM
Dude averaged 11 points per game and shot decently from three. Great signing considering what was available, surprised we couldn’t get Aminu though.

cutewizard
06-30-2019, 08:54 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p48RXmmY-Rk

Marcus Bryant
06-30-2019, 08:55 PM
Good signing, type of forward you need with the guard rotation who can slide to the 4 for three guard lineups with DeRozan. Contract is reasonable and length fits the timetable.

ceperez
06-30-2019, 09:01 PM
For $6m... It's a good deal.

sananspursfan21
06-30-2019, 09:13 PM
For the money it’s a good signing tbh. I just hope poop doesn’t feed him too many minutes to the detriment of our young guys fwiw....

I mean, he won’t be playing Point or anything

cutewizard
06-30-2019, 09:18 PM
Good signing, type of forward you need with the guard rotation who can slide to the 4 for three guard lineups with DeRozan. Contract is reasonable and length fits the timetable.

:lobt:

ZeusWillJudge
06-30-2019, 09:18 PM
Unless there's a big trade coming (and I doubt that), this looks like a raise-the-team-floor signing. Last season they just allllmost made it to the second round. Signing Carroll is mostly about making it to the second round, without destroying their cap flexibility next year and the year after.

On nights when Belli's 3' aren't falling, he might as well be in the locker room. Bertans hasn't been all that far behind. Carroll won't be quite as bad. So on the nights that the Spurs suck, they'll suck a little less. If they can win a few more regular season games and stay in the top 5 in the conference, they have a pretty strong chance of getting out of the first round.

It also says to me that they are counting on their young guys improving. Carroll isn't getting in anyone's way. And if the young guys step up, then making it to the second round looks pretty likely. Any wins after that are a bonus. It's incremental improvement on a budget.

Carroll was pretty much worthless before he learned how to shoot the 3. Give him credit for working to gain a skill that would let him stick with a team. He's got 10 years in the league, so if he is past his prime like some people here are saying, it's not by much. He still gets to the line a lot, which is a pretty good sign that he's still mobile. His 3P% fell last season - if it falls any more it's a problem. But if he can bring it back up just a little, and he keeps getting to the line, he'll be a solid backup for Gay. And since Gay is probably going to need some nights off, he'll be a decent fill-in.

I was hoping they would get someone more exciting for the full MLE, but they probably would have had to give someone like that a longer deal.

cutewizard
06-30-2019, 09:19 PM
im the first one to predict it

without significant injuries,

SPURS BEAT THE BUCKS FOR THE 2020 NBA TITLE!!!!!!!!!!!!

book it!

(July 1, 2019 ------------ first one to predict it)

ZeusWillJudge
06-30-2019, 09:20 PM

And I predict you're the last. :lol

cutewizard
06-30-2019, 09:21 PM
Unless there's a big trade coming (and I doubt that), this looks like a raise-the-team-floor signing. Last season they just allllmost made it to the second round. Signing Carroll is mostly about making it to the second round, without destroying their cap flexibility next year and the year after.

On nights when Belli's 3' aren't falling, he might as well be in the locker room. Bertans hasn't been all that far behind. Carroll won't be quite as bad. So on the nights that the Spurs suck, they'll suck a little less. If they can win a few more regular season games and stay in the top 5 in the conference, they have a pretty strong chance of getting out of the first round.

It also says to me that they are counting on their young guys improving. Carroll isn't getting in anyone's way. And if the young guys step up, then making it to the second round looks pretty likely. Any wins after that are a bonus. It's incremental improvement on a budget.

Carroll was pretty much worthless before he learned how to shoot the 3. Give him credit for working to gain a skill that would let him stick with a team. He's got 10 years in the league, so if he is past his prime like some people here are saying, it's not by much. He still gets to the line a lot, which is a pretty good sign that he's still mobile. His 3P% fell last season - if it falls any more it's a problem. But if he can bring it back up just a little, and he keeps getting to the line, he'll be a solid backup for Gay. And since Gay is probably going to need some nights off, he'll be a decent fill-in.

I was hoping they would get someone more exciting for the full MLE, but they probably would have had to give someone like that a longer deal.

----------------------

Can we get another player after this, good Sir?

cutewizard
06-30-2019, 09:21 PM
And I predict you're the last. :lol

Pessimistic you are? hmmmm?

objective
06-30-2019, 09:23 PM
Working my way through games, 5 quarters in so far

Quick overreaction:

Pros:

-Much better on offense than I thought, though small sample size. Quick on the three.
-Good enough passer for Spurs offense, had one really good assist I saw
-deal is only 2 years
-salary ballast could come in handy

Cons

- Tiny sample size theatre, but he didn't look good on defense at all. Guys get steps on him, he loses guys, he gave up a layup as the help man not even trying though he was there. Players missed open shots with him, kind of fortunate.
- didn't see him really put a body on for defensive rebounding.
- moved creakily. Maybe it was isolated to that time of year and injuries, tiny sample size

Big upgrade on Cunningham on offense. Based on the little I've watched so far, I don't expect an upgrade on defense though I have a lot more to watch. Maybe if he's next to Murray and White and Aldridge or Poeltl his defense will come off better

objective
06-30-2019, 09:25 PM

book it!

It's June 30 though

GusT15
06-30-2019, 09:28 PM

book it!

The Bucks are not making the Finals with all the idiotic moves their FO made tonight.

(That's not the only problem with your post-but it's the one i choose to comment on)

cutewizard
06-30-2019, 09:30 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6itw_JenXA8

cutewizard
06-30-2019, 09:31 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnSO3lLOa4Y

cutewizard
06-30-2019, 09:32 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6d9rfXf6Fk0

Marcus Bryant
06-30-2019, 09:32 PM
Murray and Carroll make this team better. Perhaps the ceiling is the conference finals with 2nd round exit most likely. Wild card is Walker’s development. Spurs do have ~$3.0MM left of MLE, maybe Mulitinov(sp)?

cutewizard
06-30-2019, 09:33 PM
Poetl at center

Carroll and Gay at forwards

Samanic as shooter, can Keldon bring u the ball????

Hmmm, interesting bench

Kurgan
06-30-2019, 09:45 PM
Murray and Carroll make this team better. Perhaps the ceiling is the conference finals with 2nd round exit most likely. Wild card is Walker’s development. Spurs do have ~$3.0MM left of MLE, maybe Mulitinov(sp)?

Carrol doesn't move the needle at all and Murray is a horrible fit next to Derozan. The ceiling is and always will be a first round exit as long as Defrozen is on this team.

tbdog
06-30-2019, 09:47 PM
Poetl at center

Carroll and Gay at forwards

Samanic as shooter, can Keldon bring u the ball????

Hmmm, interesting bench

Are we forgetting a few players. Like, Mills, Forbes, Beli, Bertans, Walker.

And who is starting at PF in this scenario of yours?

ZeusWillJudge
06-30-2019, 09:51 PM
----------------------

Can we get another player after this, good Sir?

Spurs do have ~$3.0MM left of MLE, maybe Mulitinov(sp)?

With Gay re-signing, Carroll, and the two rookies, the Spurs have 15 under contract. They can't sign anyone with the remainder of the MLE unless they clear a roster spot.

Unless we see an uncharacteristic trade, I think we know what this year's roster looks like. GSG! :lol

TheRemix
06-30-2019, 09:55 PM
Decent pickup but this roster is still trash

paperboy77
06-30-2019, 09:56 PM

100% this. Pop will be Pop.

phxspurfan
06-30-2019, 09:58 PM
He’s better than Cunningham who played the same role last year.

It’s not like we were going to get Aminu, Ariza, Tobias Harris or something. This was what they could do at a reasonable price and it was decent. Better than nothing which is what a lot of other teams did (or get worse, haha Guests/Phx/Hornets etc).

Mikeanaro
06-30-2019, 09:59 PM
Cheap, not a bad move.

slick'81
06-30-2019, 10:00 PM
He’s better than Cunningham who played the same role last year.

Which isnt saying much

sasaint
06-30-2019, 10:09 PM
My quick reaction to signing Demarre has more to do with Dumbmar then Demarre. I certainly expected as much, but I am still disappointed that we didn’t move Dumbmar and acquire a better SF. Then Demarre would be a nice backup. But now we still have no legit starting caliber SF.

BWS-1994
06-30-2019, 10:13 PM
Can he defend Millsap, at least?

Play Boban
06-30-2019, 10:28 PM
I mean, he won’t be playing Point or anything
Samanic tbh

vy65
06-30-2019, 10:39 PM
Underwhelming.

Feels like they're just re-arranging the deck chairs on the titanic.

Internal growth + another year from Derozan doesn't inspire feelings of title contention.

Kurgan
06-30-2019, 10:41 PM
Underwhelming.

Internal growth + another year from Derozan doesn't inspire feelings of title contention.

Title contention is a pipe dream with this group. Getting homecourt advantage in the first round would be an achievement for our roster.

vy65
06-30-2019, 10:45 PM
Title contention is a pipe dream with this group. Getting homecourt advantage in the first round would be an achievement for our roster.

Agreed on it being a pipe dream.

It's really disappointing to see the team employ the "run it back" philosophy when Tim, Tony, and Manu aren't walking through that door. Really don't understand why they think a one size fits all approach works with the current roster make up.

Even if one thinks they were caught off-guard by the Kawhi episode, they've done nothing to alter the lineup into something that makes more sense.

sasaint
06-30-2019, 10:46 PM
Underwhelming.

Exactly. Another year of Dumbmar really dampens my enthusiasm. Besides, it feels like Pop’s aim now is to show how he can win with old Rators.

sasaint
06-30-2019, 10:48 PM
Agreed on it being a pipe dream.

It's really disappointing to see the team employ the "run it back" philosophy when Tim, Tony, and Manu aren't walking through that door. Really don't understand why they think a one size fits all approach works with the current roster make up.

Even if one thinks they were caught off-guard by the Kawhi episode, they've done nothing to alter the lineup into something that makes more sense.

You are nailing it tonight.

vy65
06-30-2019, 10:49 PM
You are nailing it tonight.

Bend over and I'll show you nailing it tonight

Dejounte
06-30-2019, 10:51 PM

Lmfao. Best response to a guy giving a compliment to you

sasaint
06-30-2019, 10:52 PM

You are hostile because I agree with you?

vy65
06-30-2019, 10:54 PM

It's a joke, calm down

vy65
06-30-2019, 10:55 PM

It's a joke, calm down

RC_Drunkford
06-30-2019, 11:01 PM
great value deal, but I still hope they make a trade and tighten up the guard rotation. Right now the roster is very deep, which is good for the regular season, but I'd rather see a 2 for 1 player trade and then sign somebody with the remaining 3.3 million of the MLE that's left

Seventyniner
06-30-2019, 11:01 PM

It's the "that's what she said" of ST.

Chinook
06-30-2019, 11:22 PM
I'm frustrated if the Spurs don't do anything else with the rest of the MLE. If they can fit in Milutinov (I would be surprised if they can) or bring in Singleton (I would be surprised if they did), then I get it. But I'm just not sure Carroll can do the job they need him to do (starting PF). I don't disagree it's a fine deal, value-wise. But if they could have gotten a better player for the whole MLE, they should have done it. That could just be wasted value. I mean sure, it could be useful for giving a prospect a three-year deal or outbidding teams who can only offer the min for a buyout candidate. But unless Carroll has his best seasons in years, I don't know if this improves the teams at all. Let's hope he can at least hold down the fort next year so that Samanic can get his feet out from under him.

Independent of my wariness over giving this deal to Carroll, I like the Spurs giving two-year deals to their new guys. They will have money in the summer of 2021 with only Murray as the likely large contract on the books (though Poeltl's might also be notable if he stays). They should do whatever it takes to open a championship window around DeRozan and Aldridge, so long as they keep the best two or three of their young guys and make whichever trades they make count. The path seems pretty clear now: Give it the old college try for two years and then retool.

EricB
06-30-2019, 11:52 PM
Demarre Carroll is a good defensive 3 and D wing, who can step in and replace guys like Pondexter Bertans etc.

defensively through the draft and free agency and getting guys back they’re already WAY better.

EricB
06-30-2019, 11:53 PM
Signing Carroll is an old tactic. Say Dejounte takes the best, Carroll takes the second best. That allows you to his DeRozan on the team’s worst guys’d and he’s got more juice for the offensive end. Also at the end of the year DeRozan was competent enough to defend a team’s third or fourth best floor guy. That’s more than anything this does. It increases your overall profile and hides the warts to some other guys.

Ice009
06-30-2019, 11:54 PM
I think I am happier with Demarre at his current price and contract length than if the Spurs paid more for other guys such as Aminu.

SAGirl
06-30-2019, 11:57 PM
Only way the team will really get better at this point (as in raising their ceiling) is from improvement and contribution from the youngins. I kind of already knew this and at least they have youth that’s exciting to watch and I liked their draft choices.

Demarre doesn’t move the needle but gives them depth and size they didn’t have last season. Solid but unspectacular.

I know aome fans fans are disappointed with trades they wanted and didn’t happen. I myself find it difficult to believe in this team while Demar is in it tbh. So it is what it is. In the youngins I trust.

dbestpro
07-01-2019, 12:01 AM
Bruce Bowen played another 5 seasons as a starter from the age 32 forward and did not play for the Spurs until he was 30. Carroll plays hard every minute on the floor and will energize the youth to do the same. He is exactly what the Spurs needed and will surprise many.

Mugen
07-01-2019, 12:06 AM
Still think a 2 for 1 trade that nets you a solid 3 or 4 in the rotation is necessary.....

Ideally, it's Beli and Bertans for somebody but I'd be happy with Forbes/Bertans too (Lonnie NEEDS to be locked in for 20+ mins a night at minimum).....

I'd go to Miami to see if they'd do James Johnson for Beli/Bertans.....

Murray/White/Derozan/Johnson/LMA
Fatty/Walker/Carroll/Gay/Poetl
Quindarry/Forbes/Johnson/Samancic/Eubanks

Ice009
07-01-2019, 12:11 AM
James Johnson is someone I also wanted to try and get a few years ago. He usually had great games against the Spurs. I thought he could be a great backup SF and/or small ball PF. I also heard that the Spurs had him in for workouts and chat/interview during the off-season a few years ago (maybe before he signed with the Raptors), but I guess they passed, so I wonder what put them off? I still would love to get him if his game hasn't fallen off much.

L.I.T
07-01-2019, 12:25 AM
Good signing because it provides a vet presence who will not take priority over the young guys. A full MLE player would, naturally, get minutes over the young kids. It’s a transition signing.

I suspect they kept enough of the MLE open to sign a vet PG/SG if they’re able to move Mills and/or Belinelli.

spurraider21
07-01-2019, 01:24 AM
Underwhelming.

was there really an MLE move that would inspire feelings of title contention?

Fazzlaa
07-01-2019, 01:25 AM
His defense has fallen off a cliff

Ice009
07-01-2019, 01:26 AM
His defense has fallen off a cliff

Great, that is just what I DIDN'T want to hear. I would have been happier if his defense was still decent and his offensive game had fallen off a bit instead.

Marcus Bryant
07-01-2019, 01:27 AM
Lol don’t forget to kiss your hand goodnight.

DPG21920
07-01-2019, 01:29 AM

No, but there were trades that probably could have opened up more space that would. Could have used a future pick(s) + Beli/Bertans/Mills to open up space so then could target a true difference maker.

Im not saying give up the youth, but using some future assets+lesser core players for cap space was certainly an option if the team was really pressing to compete this year.

Don’t hate what happened, still time for trades (think CHA) but SA was not going into this off season with the goal to really go for it and there is a strong argument they should have.

venitian navigator
07-01-2019, 02:08 AM
I understand the signing for all the reasons said above (is in the LMA/DDR/RG timeline) but don't like that much 'cause I preferred a high risk/high reward signing for a young guy as a developmental project...but I have to say I was probably overvaluing these type of prospects (see Henzonja signing a one year minimum contract with Portland...that's something I can't understand if ther's not an agreement about the minimum amount of minutes in light of enhance his market value on free agents market next year).
That said, I could change my mind and become really happy with this trade in case we now are going to:

1) trade some guards and other tradable assets for a decent big man (a Belli+Metu for Noel/WCS via sign and trade for example);
2) use the rest of MLE on a 3 years deal to a YOUNG defensive forward (SJ) as a developmental project.

EricB
07-01-2019, 02:14 AM
The spurs are one of the youngest teams in the nba. Why do people
keep thinking they need to keep getting younger. They have 6 guys that are under the age of 24

slick'81
07-01-2019, 02:20 AM
keep thinking they need to keep getting younger. They have 6 guys that are under the age of 24

we were bottom half in average age last season.Maybe keldon and luka help us out there

tonski17
07-01-2019, 02:27 AM
Good move by the spurs, getting a good defender with 3 point shooting which fills the need of the team, without spending much.

duncan2150
07-01-2019, 02:30 AM
I like the signing, caroll brings a lot of good things to the table : experience , 3 point, good D...

i see him as a SF, he could play some PF but i’m Not that high with that option for long stretches.

Still i hope the spurs will sign a true PF/C to go against two bigs lineups.

venitian navigator
07-01-2019, 02:44 AM

because:
1) our main 3 guys are all near or well over 30...in two years the window will be closed and you better have already in place as many pieces as you can...because...
2) of the young guys, till now, no one can already be considered a star in the making and we desperately need a young one;
3) the MLE was a perfect opportunity to guarantee one/two more young players for same years at a fraction of their potential outcoming in the same timeline with the already "experienced" young guys of our team in quite the same range of age (21/24)
4) play defense on wings needs young legs...I'm afraid in that sense both Gay and DMC have the some problem...(and DDR and Davis, while still with good legs, have never been considered too good on using them on defense)...so that problem is likely to be still here (I see the DMC signing as an option considered more for the offense than for the defense thanks to the fact that he can shoot the three);
5) for young guys to improve and expecially to improve learning also our system you need time...and a good amount of it. In a situation like the one we currently have (a lot of young assistent coaches and already a good amount of experienced young guys plus some probably ideal veterans to learn from) having some project with high risk high reward perspective is, imho, absolutely ideal...

cutewizard
07-01-2019, 03:23 AM
:fro:pop::pop::pop:

vavvi
07-01-2019, 03:35 AM
Solid signing.
The market was crazy out there. We weren't going to get a Morris twin or even washed-up Ariza for the MLE.
2 years instead of 3 is also a good job.

99 Problems
07-01-2019, 04:25 AM
Good value deal, he only has to play the role that’s mapped out for him. If you’re expecting the second coming of Moses Malone go to some 100 over 4 years thread.

John B
07-01-2019, 05:03 AM
I like it but should not be enough. I feel a backup PF/C still coming. Can we trade for Bayne back?

monty4329
07-01-2019, 05:09 AM
Excellent addition. A potential starter (probably won't start) and an excellent forward off the bench. I wish we had him last year, I bet we would at least have beaten DEN.

Plus, he is a good person by all accounts. Will fit easily.

We need to trim the roster now, too many people expecting minutes.

Raven
07-01-2019, 05:20 AM
sneaky good deal, but i always disliked his skillset

TDMVPDPOY
07-01-2019, 05:28 AM
carroll is a energy hustle guy

spurs need that type of player who can be a spark of the bench, hustle and crash the boards...

tbdog
07-01-2019, 06:33 AM
I like the signing, caroll brings a lot of good things to the table : experience , 3 point, good D...

i see him as a SF, he could play some PF but i’m Not that high with that option for long stretches.

Still i hope the spurs will sign a true PF/C to go against two bigs lineups.

He will almost strictly play the 4. Gay would more likely play more 3 along side him in stretches.

vy65
07-01-2019, 07:24 AM

Like Deeps said, a team isn’t limited to using the MLE.

The answer to your question is no. My underwhelment is with running this team back.

SAGirl
07-01-2019, 07:32 AM
He will almost strictly play the 4. Gay would more likely play more 3 along side him in stretches.
Probably pushes Davis for minutes then. If not traded (Spurs allegedly rebuked trade offers for Davis, so people who expect him traded might be disappointed), Davis will still play but not only has to compete but is now situational and injury insurance. Don’t want to speculate much more than that until we see what else the Spurs will do.

dbestpro
07-01-2019, 08:02 AM

Just the opposite. at least defensively. Carroll will hound opposing SFs every minute he is on the floor, and match up well against SFs with muscle. He will be Pop's go to guy, defensively at SF.

Big Empty
07-01-2019, 08:39 AM
He’s going to come in handy when facing the Lakers. LA takes AD, DC guards Bron and Gay guards Leonard. Might not stop them lol, but atleast they have the size & length to give them fits.

Cardinal
07-01-2019, 08:40 AM
Let's not underrate the toughness and hustle that Carroll brings to the game. This Spurs roster needed that. Plus he's a great character guy in the locker room, by all accounts. Just from a personality/intangibles standpoint, this is a plus addition. The Spurs needed more players with that "dog" in them.

NameLess Scrub
07-01-2019, 10:35 AM
If this was 2014 I would be excited.

I would also be 30-40 pounds lighter.

duncan2150
07-01-2019, 10:48 AM
Just the opposite. at least defensively. Carroll will hound opposing SFs every minute he is on the floor, and match up well against SFs with muscle. He will be Pop's go to guy, defensively at SF.

I agree with that, he is a 3 not a 4. he can play some 4 but i see gay more as a PF than him.

lefty
07-01-2019, 03:01 PM
Tough and can shoot the 3

Not bad and let’s be real, we weren’t going to sign all stars

lefty
07-01-2019, 03:02 PM
And he can occasionally play at the 4 spot

emanueldavidginobili
01-03-2020, 01:39 PM
7 million dollars a year to rot away on the bench. This is another thing that makes zero sense.

UZER
01-03-2020, 02:00 PM
Maybe Pop never wanted Carroll and this is his protest. I can understand that, but you are punishing the entire team by starting Forbes and playing him all those minutes.

If that’s true, then Pop is not over himself like he preaches. I don’t think he ever was anyway.

jermaine
01-03-2020, 02:04 PM
Why sign someone just not to play them?

ZeusWillJudge
01-03-2020, 02:28 PM
Maybe Pop never wanted Carroll and this is his protest. I can understand that, but you are punishing the entire team by starting Forbes and playing him all those minutes.

If that’s true, then Pop is not over himself like he preaches. I don’t think he ever was anyway.

You have to wonder.

Prime BEEF
01-03-2020, 02:44 PM
It makes no sense at all. If pop is running the team and franchise and knows he won’t play him then why sign him?

only 2 things make sense to me for possible reasons for this.
1) the FO wanted to sign him but pop didn’t. And he’s flexing his muscle to the FO
2) pop wanted him and then at some point Carroll called pop out on something that was stupid and pop permanently put him in the dog house to flex his power.

some will say maybe Carroll just sucks. That’s why he isn’t playing. But that’s a dumb naive take. Carroll is the same player he was last year. If he sucks now, then he sucked then so why sign him?

jermaine
01-03-2020, 02:50 PM
It makes no sense at all. If pop is running the team and franchise and knows he won’t play him then why sign him?

only 2 things make sense to me for possible reasons for this.
1) the FO wanted to sign him but pop didn’t. And he’s flexing his muscle to the FO
2) pop wanted him and then at some point Carroll called pop out on something that was stupid and pop permanently put him in the dog house to flex his power.

some will say maybe Carroll just sucks. That’s why he isn’t playing. But that’s a dumb naive take. Carroll is the same player he was last year. If he sucks now, then he sucked then so why sign him?

Idc how much he sucks... His defense is better than Forbes an Marco's put together.

GAustex
01-03-2020, 02:57 PM
What little I have seen of this washed up tin man piece of crap....he sucks. This falls on poop for wasting a spot for someone who Spurs could desperately need. He can’t even jump.
Some young live body at 6’ 8” who can defend and rebound-but no. Poop sucks

r0drig0lac
01-03-2020, 03:07 PM
Idc how much he sucks... His defense is better than Forbes an Marco's put together.

Ed Helicopter Jones
01-03-2020, 03:18 PM
I'd rather see him out there than Forbes or Marco. It's odd to sign a player for that amount of money and not use him at all. If I'm the Spurs I'm looking at how to strengthen the roster, and one way would be to get rid of him for a player Pop might use.

ceperez
01-03-2020, 04:35 PM
Signing Carroll and not playing him. Trading Bertans for nothing. Two signs this FO is dysfunctional. Coaching staff is also dysfunctional.

DPG21920
01-03-2020, 04:39 PM
No, but there were trades that probably could have opened up more space that would. Could have used a future pick(s) + Beli/Bertans/Mills to open up space so then could target a true difference maker.

Im not saying give up the youth, but using some future assets+lesser core players for cap space was certainly an option if the team was really pressing to compete this year.

Don’t hate what happened, still time for trades (think CHA) but SA was not going into this off season with the goal to really go for it and there is a strong argument they should have.

Ha cha cha mang

UZER
01-03-2020, 05:28 PM
https://youtu.be/S3w7667Vv98

Pop is just a miserable SOB. Retire already.

Pop crying about losing Davis after getting screwed by Morris is stupid as well. Davis was in Pops doghouse ALL THE TIME. Pop didn’t know how to use him. That’s on Pop, not Davis or Morris.

Nobody wants to play for Pop. When Morris got the hint of another deal, he bailed in an unprecedented manner with no regard. He never wanted to play in SA.

You don’t think players around the league notice Davis going off after being caged with the Spurs? You don’t think they noticed Kawhi also getting out in an unprecedented manner? You think they notice Aldridge wanted to get traded one year after being here? You don’t think they see a dude like Walker riding the pine for Brent fucking Forbes? Players aren’t dumb. That Game of Zones soul box bit was spot on.

Pop got screwed by Morris because nobody wants to play for Pop.

RC_Drunkford
01-03-2020, 06:08 PM
Pop is just a miserable SOB. Retire already.

Pop crying about losing Davis after getting screwed by Morris is stupid as well. Davis was in Pops doghouse ALL THE TIME. Pop didn’t know how to use him. That’s on Pop, not Davis or Morris.

Nobody wants to play for Pop. When Morris got the hint of another deal, he bailed in an unprecedented manner with no regard. He never wanted to play in SA.

You don’t think players around the league notice Davis going off after being caged with the Spurs? You don’t think they noticed Kawhi also getting out in an unprecedented manner? You think they notice Aldridge wanted to get traded one year after being here? You don’t think they see a dude like Walker riding the pine for Brent fucking Forbes? Players aren’t dumb. That Game of Zones soul box bit was spot on.

Pop got screwed by Morris because nobody wants to play for Pop.

I wouldn't want to play for this senile grandpa either. You might just ride the bench while you're watching a player who shouldn't even be in the league start and get the 3rd highest minutes on the entire roster. That's Demarre Carroll's situation. He's at worst the 10th best player on this team, but somehow Pop starts the 14th and plays the 13th over the 3rd best player.

spurs1990
01-03-2020, 06:16 PM
If you recall his last performance in the Walker led Rockets game, he was 17 shades of awful. He's most likely a whiff in terms of what the Spurs thought he could provide. IE his game just deteriorated over this past summer

RC_Drunkford
01-03-2020, 06:23 PM
If you recall his last performance in the Walker led Rockets game, he was 17 shades of awful. He's most likely a whiff in terms of what the Spurs thought he could provide. IE his game just deteriorated over this past summer

He has looked awful in the minutes he played, but he also never got real minutes or a real role. Hard to judge on such a small sample size

GAustex
01-03-2020, 08:09 PM
Carroll is broke. He got nothing. He can’t even jump and runs around (barely) like he is all rusted out. WTF was poop thinking.

Truth4sale$
01-04-2020, 11:01 AM
I always thought this was a bad signing, due to his age, and position redundancy( he is more of a power forward than small forward). The Spurs needed to get younger and more athletic, a cheaper alternative would have been better to leave the spot open for a Gleague player or waiver wire pickup. Even taking a reach on Stanley Johnson or Rondae Hoillis before both signed for much cheaper with the Raptors.
Carroll should be moved for whomever or whatever because he is waisting away what years he had left, and before he becomes a disgruntled distraction as loses pile up. Just out of respect for the veteran and improve chances with future free agents. Obviously Carroll jumped at the money, and the Spurs jumped at the chance at any veteran wanting to sign with them. Didn't work out for either side.

SpurPadre
01-04-2020, 01:19 PM
I'm surprised he hasn't been used as Pop usually loves old, washed-up fucks like him, tbh.

BillMc
01-04-2020, 01:31 PM
Neither version is good, whichever is reality.

If he's washed-up, or slow to catch on, he shouldn't have been signed.

If he's capable, then he should be played.

My guess, is he's one of those guys that "got old fast" and seemed like a good signing, but has looked awful in practice, or at least comparable to Lyles.

sasaint
01-04-2020, 01:34 PM
If my grandpa threw away $7million/year for 3 years, I'd have him committed.

dbestpro
01-04-2020, 05:01 PM
Seriously, Pop needs a mental health exam. He just ain't right.

tholdren
01-05-2020, 07:41 AM
I wouldn't want to play for this senile grandpa either. You might just ride the bench while you're watching a player who shouldn't even be in the league start and get the 3rd highest minutes on the entire roster. That's Demarre Carroll's situation. He's at worst the 10th best player on this team, but somehow Pop starts the 14th and plays the 13th over the 3rd best player.
The NBA's best star travels every time he touches the ball. Its entertainment. And since you are so triggered it's working. Half the spurs roster shouldn't be considered professional, just like every other nba team. Get over it.

TimDunkem
01-05-2020, 09:51 AM
He can barely move. It hurts to watch him.

John B
01-05-2020, 10:16 AM
Keldon got to play, and Metu and still not Carroll. He’d have to be in a really deep shit Pvt Epstein.

Kurgan
01-05-2020, 12:49 PM
My guess is this was another blunder by Wright. With Buford occupied by his new CEO responsibilities and Pop busy coaching the national team to their worst tournament finish, Wright was left in charge of building the roster for the upcoming season. Would explain why Pop refuses to play him since he didn't want him in the first place.

JeffDuncan
01-05-2020, 02:31 PM
My guess is this was another blunder by Wright. With Buford occupied by his new CEO responsibilities and Pop busy coaching the national team to their worst tournament finish, Wright was left in charge of building the roster for the upcoming season. Would explain why Pop refuses to play him since he didn't want him in the first place.

Very doubtful, I'd say impossible, since the agreement to sign Carroll happened in the first hour of free agency, but the serious team USA stuff didn't begin until August, and Buford didn't move into the new job until September. The timing for that idea is off by months. Carroll is on the roster because Pop and RC agreed they wanted him.

GAustex
01-05-2020, 02:35 PM
Poop and rc are demented drunk ass fuck ups

JeffDuncan
01-05-2020, 02:38 PM
Poop and rc are demented drunk ass fuck ups

:pop: It's only basketball.

GAustex
01-05-2020, 03:07 PM
True it is only BB.
If I fucked up at work like they have I would be shown to the door

JeffDuncan
01-05-2020, 03:15 PM
True it is only BB.
If I fucked up at work like they have I would be shown to the door

Just to be clear, I was not disagreeing. Basketball is the reason Pop has had success in his life. When he downplays BB, he's deprecating his whole adult life. That's not very rational.

GAustex
01-05-2020, 03:17 PM
I know JD
I do not like the lack of accountability being shown with Spurs management

GAustex
01-05-2020, 03:19 PM
I wonder if poop had a TIA or mini stroke

JeffDuncan
01-05-2020, 03:31 PM
I know JD
I do not like the lack of accountability being shown with Spurs management

That's what can happen in a situation where a man is his own boss, Pop being both the president of BB and the head coach. With the ownership being hands off, Pop is accountable only to himself.

In a way, it's like Jerry Jones with the Cowboys. The Cowboys would probably do better if Jones was fired, but that can't happen. So the Cowboys are stuck with him as long as his health holds up.

TD 21
01-06-2020, 01:12 AM

You're usually on point, but in addition to what JeffDuncan said, I don't buy that they'd have a relative newbie unilaterally making decisions of this magnitude, let alone the infamous trade.

This was likely a group effort and either Carroll had lost more of a step than they imagined, they weren't satisfied with his basketball IQ (in comparison, they've repeatedly gone out of their way to praise Lyles') or a combination thereof.

Coach X
01-06-2020, 06:32 AM
Hopefully Forbes is permanently removed from the starting line-up so he will be exposed playing with the second unit and eventually could dissapear from the rotation/be traded for a 5th round pick or whatever. Carroll should fight with Gay and Marco for some minutes in the forwards rotation. He could be helpful in the second unit providing some defense and toughness to the White-Mills-Poetl core.

XDT76
01-06-2020, 07:17 AM
There is a suggestion at pounding the rock to trade Carroll for Bertans. This is both funny and painful at the same time.

wildbill2u
01-06-2020, 07:51 PM
HAS Carroll played any meaningful minutes or just garbage time.

jermaine
01-06-2020, 08:32 PM
HAS Carroll played any meaningful minutes or just garbage time.

Not even garbage Time I dont think. That's dumb AF

spurraider21
01-06-2020, 10:45 PM
is he the worst player in the NBA?

NASpurs
01-06-2020, 10:46 PM
is he the worst player in the NBA?

We seem to have at least 3 on our team.

emanueldavidginobili
01-06-2020, 10:49 PM
He hasn’t played a legit game in months let’s not overreact on a minute of play. Even though he did look lost.

RC_Drunkford
01-06-2020, 10:50 PM
We seem to have at least 3 on our team.

While also having the worst coach

BlackAndWhite
01-06-2020, 10:54 PM
He probably tried to do too much in the 2 minutes he was on the court. It's a shame that pop haven't found a way to integrate him to the roster.

spurraider21
01-06-2020, 11:06 PM
He hasn’t played a legit game in months let’s not overreact on a minute of play. Even though he did look lost.
thats part of the analysis tbh... pop isn't managing him for the playoffs :lol... hes so bad that pop cant find a meaningful minute for him

and then when he's on the floor he just looks bad

emanueldavidginobili
01-06-2020, 11:08 PM
thats part of the analysis tbh... pop isn't managing him for the playoffs :lol... hes so bad that pop cant find a meaningful minute for him

and then when he's on the floor he just looks bad
probably accurate haha, sucks that we’re paying this guy 7 mil a year.

ceperez
01-06-2020, 11:10 PM
probably accurate haha, sucks that we’re paying this guy 7 mil a year.

I don't get the math here... didn't the Spurs pay Bertans around 7m/year. Why again did Bertans needed to get traded?

FkLA
01-06-2020, 11:14 PM
I don't think its fair to judge him in garbage time. He's out there with noone to play off of, but still eager to do something positive so he ends up vomiting all over himself trying to make plays off the dribble. That's not his game. Put him in a position where all he has to do is play defense and spot up from three and there's just no way he isnt a better option than both Forms and Marco.

RC_Drunkford
01-06-2020, 11:33 PM
I don't get the math here... didn't the Spurs pay Bertans around 7m/year. Why again did Bertans needed to get traded?

cause Pop didn't like him and he couldn't guard Millsap. Carroll on the other hand... never mind

timtonymanu
01-06-2020, 11:36 PM
I don't have an issue with him like some others on here, but imagine how much better this team would have been if Morris or Bertans was in his place.

JeffDuncan
01-06-2020, 11:36 PM

Don't tell anybody, but it was all part of a plan by CIA Pop to place Nemanja Dangubić as a deep-cover spy inside the Brooklyn Nets organization.

Either that, or it was a royal fuckup.

tbdog
01-07-2020, 12:23 AM

Carroll agreed to sign with the MLE.
Then Morris agree to sign with the Spurs for the MLE.
There is only one MLE, so Spurs then traded Bertans for Carroll in a three way deal with Wizards having cap space to adsorb Bertans contract.
Then Morris backs out.
So Spurs signed Lyles for the MLE instead.

GAustex
01-07-2020, 07:46 PM
And Carroll sucks.
Someone should ask the drunk ass demented poop why he signed Carroll

sananspursfan21
01-07-2020, 07:51 PM
And Carroll sucks.
Someone should ask the drunk ass demented poop why he signed Carroll

Couldn’t have been worse than Pondexter and Cunningham but they got minutes :lol

Big P
01-07-2020, 08:24 PM
Couldn’t have been worse than Pondexter and Cunningham but they got minutes :lol

It is worse than signing pondexter and cunningham...those guys were paid the minimum, we are paying $21 mil for three years for a guy who can't get off the bench...very stupid move by worthless pop and the fo.

cutewizard
01-07-2020, 08:39 PM
Why doesnt Pop play him

sananspursfan21
01-07-2020, 09:46 PM
It is worse than signing pondexter and cunningham...those guys were paid the minimum, we are paying $21 mil for three years for a guy who can't get off the bench...very stupid move by worthless pop and the fo.

That’s not quite what I was saying. Yeah, the money sucks but I’m talking in terms of talent. Demarre’s got more to offer than those guys, yet those guys got minutes until they proved they didn’t deserve them.

Edit: I guess I can see why you thought I was talking salary. I replied to a post on salary. But yeah, I was meaning talent wise...

RC_Drunkford
01-08-2020, 06:10 AM

at least he's sitting on the bench. The ghost of Pau Gasol is getting paid 5.1 million this year without even being in the same city

dbestpro
01-08-2020, 10:00 AM
If you are not going to play him use his salary to make a trade and improve the team

Coach X
01-08-2020, 10:07 AM
If you are not going to play him use his salary to make a trade and improve the team
Definately THIS

I think Carroll could have a role in this roster but other players should leave the rotation. I don't see that happenning so PATFO should explore market opportunities of improving the team. Probably nobody is offering anything more valuable for us than Carroll. I don't think Spurs have any traction to adquire anything decent from a potential buyer. Would you trade Carroll straightly for another young promising player needed of minutes and opportunities to become a real professional player? Not me, we have enough of them. I would trade Carroll just in case there is another veteran available that Popovich considers improves the team by his contribution on the hardwood, not in the bench.

emanueldavidginobili
01-09-2020, 11:28 AM

He needs to be moved, he’s clearly not happy right now. Look at him he doesn’t even flinch.

John B
01-09-2020, 11:47 AM

He needs to be moved, he’s clearly not happy right now. Look at him he doesn’t even flinch.
Funny how Bill Land and Sean Elliott panicking on the "dangerous pass." How many have we seen Manu, Diaw, Tiago passes that put a cringe down my spine? Spurs are moving the ball and trusting the system, which is good. Find a better shot to the best shot. It took awhile, but I think this team is starting to pick-up.