PDA

View Full Version : Grades: The Spurs on Day 1 of Free Agency

timvp
07-01-2019, 03:52 AM
https://www.spurstalk.com/spurs-free-agency-grades-first-day/

I graded the re-signing of Gay, the signing of Carroll and the the decision not to give DeRozan a contract extension.

vavvi
07-01-2019, 04:06 AM
Thanks for the write-up.
Totally agree. B+ for the day.

John B
07-01-2019, 06:04 AM
B+ agree. But depends what other teams, namely Lakers and Dubs, get later. I really don’t want to wake up with Kawhi, Gree, Cousins and Beverly all went to the Lakers and we got Carroll. Please!

slick'81
07-01-2019, 07:02 AM
Ill go withB

Dverde
07-01-2019, 07:08 AM
The real winner is fashion as Rudy got plenty more money to waste on zebra print unitards.

NASpurs
07-01-2019, 07:11 AM
Re-signing Gay was a no-brainer due to cap implications and signing a Carroll-type was obvious and foreseen . Those are all a wash to me. But not giving DeMar a contract extension automatically makes this an A offseason while trading him would make it A+.

r0drig0lac
07-01-2019, 07:22 AM
perfect

Truth4sale$
07-01-2019, 07:45 AM
Although, I like the Rudy signing both in pay and years. , The demarre Carroll was initially a bit of a head scratcher because I thought the spurs were looking to get a younger reclamation project like Stanley Johnson, to develop as a small forward. Caroll will probably excel in a limited roll and make the second unit strong. But Spurs basically have 3 spots, where guys likely wont play...Samanic, Keldon, and Metu. So they need Carolls toughness and versatility and a new voice in the locker room.

BackHome
07-01-2019, 11:59 AM
Yeah when they decided to not sign Ben Moore I new they were going to replace him with a Vet.

Chomag
07-01-2019, 12:01 PM
Rudy Gay is rather an expensive basing on how many games of health. So that grade is a wait and see for me. I do admit though that he is huge when we get those healthy games from him.

Dverde
07-01-2019, 12:07 PM
Spurs also reinforcing the “good guy” image of not trading player left and right. I think this means little except for vets looking to settle down :lol

Mugen
07-01-2019, 12:11 PM
If the Clippers strike out on Kawhi, you gotta think they'd be open to a trade involving Demar/Gallo....

Mugen
07-01-2019, 12:12 PM
You'd also be sending Derozan home so you don't have to worry about the optics of dealing him...

Seventyniner
07-01-2019, 12:18 PM
Isn't "Not Extending DeMar DeRozan" just an incomplete for now? Or do you really think that if it was going to happen at all it would have happened yesterday?

exstatic
07-01-2019, 12:21 PM
Although, I like the Rudy signing both in pay and years. , The demarre Carroll was initially a bit of a head scratcher because I thought the spurs were looking to get a younger reclamation project like Stanley Johnson, to develop as a small forward. Caroll will probably excel in a limited roll and make the second unit strong. But Spurs basically have 3 spots, where guys likely wont play...Samanic, Keldon, and Metu. So they need Carolls toughness and versatility and a new voice in the locker room.

We have one already. His name is Keldon.

exstatic
07-01-2019, 12:21 PM
Isn't "Not Extending DeMar DeRozan" just an incomplete for now? Or do you really think that if it was going to happen at all it would have happened yesterday?

I'm not even sure they can, with two years left on his deal. Wouldn't he have to opt out next summer to get more years?

TheGreatYacht
07-01-2019, 12:40 PM
Spurs also reinforcing the “good guy” image of not trading player left and right. I think this means little except for vets looking to settle down :lol
After the Gasol and Mills summer, I didn’t think it was possible to show tired old shit bags that they can get PAID here more clearly. Yesterday proved me wrong. Gay was legally handicap towards the end of the season and DeMarre Carroll has been having Kobe post-Achilles shooting splits the last couple of years.... We showed those 33 year olds they can win here, a bag, that is.

Kurgan
07-01-2019, 01:37 PM
Spurs are the retirement home of the NBA. All the players in the league know that it's okay to ignore the Spurs while they're in their prime because we'll be more than willing to take them in a few years later when they're washed up and old.

GreekSpursfan
07-01-2019, 02:44 PM
We coudn't do much tbh unless we went for a big trade which i dont see in the future either. No grade.

ZeusWillJudge
07-01-2019, 02:51 PM
I just saw that the NBA handed out $3B in deals on the first day of free agency. At first I just shook my head, because everyone else is doing big deals. Then I did the quick math, and the Spurs spent about half the average. That sort of put it into perspective. Some spend less, some spend more. But half the average among all teams just isn't that surprising, considering the huge deals that skew everything upward.

r0drig0lac
07-01-2019, 03:26 PM
Spurs are the retirement home of the NBA. All the players in the league know that it's okay to ignore the Spurs while they're in their prime because we'll be more than willing to take them in a few years later when they're washed up and old.

sad but true

MannyIsGod
07-01-2019, 04:04 PM
Clippers aren't trading for DeMar. If they don't get Kawhi they'll try again next summer or 2 years from now but they're not going to ruin their flexibility with Demar. They aren't the Knicks.

DPG21920
07-01-2019, 04:14 PM
I give it a C+. They didn’t do anything to harm themselves short or long term, but hard to say they put a lot of thought or effort into really improving.

Treadmill right now, which isnt a bad plan, but other teams are clearly pushing harder to win now in an open West than SA despite SA having win-now players.

playblair
07-01-2019, 04:32 PM
c- gay is injury prone ball stopper

playblair
07-01-2019, 04:34 PM

word.........remember when spurs were going to sign josh howard.............

sasaint
07-01-2019, 04:45 PM
If the Clippers strike out on Kawhi, you gotta think they'd be open to a trade involving Demar/Gallo....

You'd also be sending Derozan home so you don't have to worry about the optics of dealing him...

Praying Dog.

phxspurfan
07-01-2019, 09:13 PM
Interesting. Agree that other teams (Cough Lakers Cough Clippers) will be more desperate to land a proven all star now that all the major guys besides Mr. Bitch Made Apple Lover have teamed up on their respective gravy trains. It will be interesting and not at all surprising if he ends up signing a 1 or 2 year deal to stay in Toronto, especially if Ujiri throws the farm at him and offers some random side deals or promises a huge extension or whatever is possible up there to save his legacy as a supposedly awesome architect (who didn't just get lucky via a desperate team needing to unload a disgruntled star who refused to play for them), and then get lucky again via some bandwagoners and another desperate team unloading their stars via fire sale in a town/market that doesn't even deserve an NBA team (Memphis).

Capt. Bitch Made may not have the stomach to leave those great fans after just getting there and winning a ring, especially since they do have a good core. Lakers will be tempting of course and Uncle will try and convince him to go. I'd put it at 50/50.

Clippers no longer make sense to him bc they struck out on landing another star. Doubt he would go somewhere with a meh supporting cast after 1. seeing all these super teams get created, 2. just playing with a decent supporting cast, 3. LeBroom assembling his own super team in the same town and 4. just abandoning his old team because they lacked depth/stars (same as the Clips current situation, unless you count Sixth Man Lou as a star :lol).

But the only reason it would make sense for the Spurs to trade DeMar would be multiple picks and a decent player in return. Not sure if that is Kuzma + filler, would probably have to involve a third team if so (Beverley etc).

siraulo23
07-03-2019, 02:40 AM
:tu youth movement

Chinook
07-03-2019, 02:58 AM
I really can't give the Spurs credit for not "giving into the craziness". We thought they avoided that in 2016, only for them to turn around in 2017 and piss on all that "tinder" with the Mills and Gasol deals. Could easily see Murray getting $100 Million, Poeltl getting $50 Million, Forbes getting $32 Million, Bertans getting $24 Million and/or Beli getting $12 Million. Obviously (hopefully), the team wouldn't give that money to all of those players, but all it takes is one or two of them getting stupid deals to ruin cap space for 2021. I would have preferred them to burn that tinder now and do what they could to open up a window rather than playing for a free agent who isn't likely to want to come over (not that 2021 is that great of a year anyway). Obviously don't just hand out a bad deal. But give up a pick to make a trade. Use the full MLE and be willing to go three years to get the best fit. The only way 2021 cap space comes into play here is if most of the role-players or prospects on the team aren't on the roster, so it makes no sense to prioritize holding onto all of them now.

spurraider21
07-03-2019, 02:58 AM
will be a middling playoff team for next year or two. real question is the state of the roster in 2021... are sammich/white/murray/walker, etc going to be good enough to lead a team?

Frenchfred
07-03-2019, 04:18 AM
I think that Spurs fan have to realize that San Antonio is not an attractive city and market so it is almost impossible to attract stars let alone superstars. The Spurs have always built a good team around players they drafted and have been lucky with Robinson, Duncan, Parker and Ginobilli. They drafted well this year and have a good young core that hopefully will be good together in the future. In 2021, they will have cap space to sign two max players but let's not kid ourselves, it'll be almost impossible to sign superstars.

Dejounte
07-03-2019, 06:12 AM
I think that Spurs fan have to realize that San Antonio is not an attractive city and market so it is almost impossible to attract stars let alone superstars. The Spurs have always built a good team around players they drafted and have been lucky with Robinson, Duncan, Parker and Ginobilli. They drafted well this year and have a good young core that hopefully will be good together in the future. In 2021, they will have cap space to sign two max players but let's not kid ourselves, it'll be almost impossible to sign superstars.

I think they have a decent shot at Giannis. Where else would he go during his free agency? Lakers dont have cap room, Brook and NY dont either. He aint staying with the Bucks seeing how they let go of players that mattered during their playoff run.