PDA

View Full Version : book suggestions?

koriwhat
07-01-2019, 11:32 AM
anyone have any suggestions for interesting books that can teach you something? i'm not into fiction or story telling at all so... i usually pick up technical books but what really interests me is history, the universe, pols, etc... any suggestions would be appreciated. :tu

SpursforSix
07-01-2019, 11:35 AM
anyone have any suggestions for interesting books that can teach you something? i'm not into fiction or story telling at all so... i usually pick up technical books but what really interests me is history, the universe, pols, etc... any suggestions would be appreciated. :tu

This is petty good. I'm only a few chapters in. I don't know that I buy this but it's interesting to think about.

https://www.amazon.com/Simulation-Hypothesis-Computer-Scientist-Quantum/dp/0983056900/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=living+in+a+simulation&qid=1561998872&s=gateway&sr=8-4

koriwhat
07-01-2019, 11:45 AM
This is petty good. I'm only a few chapters in. I don't know that I buy this but it's interesting to think about.

https://www.amazon.com/Simulation-Hypothesis-Computer-Scientist-Quantum/dp/0983056900/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=living+in+a+simulation&qid=1561998872&s=gateway&sr=8-4

pretty interesting and right up my ally. thanks :tu

read a book by michio kaku a while back that got me reading more than just tech books(mainly web programming bs/stack bs).

a friend of mine gave me a book 2 days ago about making money. thought it sounded interesting but i am 30 pgs from its end and it's just another one of your typical "talk to the universe" self help books. bleh....

clambake
07-01-2019, 02:01 PM
the anarchist cookbook

pgardn
07-01-2019, 02:07 PM
the anarchist cookbook

Please not for the reader with the request.
Please.

Spurtacular
07-01-2019, 03:02 PM
the anarchist cookbook

Good try, blakey.

spurraider21
07-01-2019, 04:29 PM
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/81h4dB0jjjL.jpg

dabom7
07-02-2019, 12:37 AM
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/81h4dB0jjjL.jpg

Did you read it, Lite?

spurraider21
07-02-2019, 12:42 AM
nope, derp

baseline bum
07-02-2019, 01:39 AM

I have been studying this book called Remembering the Kanji by James Heisig. It teaches you how to memorize the 2200 main kanji of Japanese through making stories for each so that you can know the meaning and write them from memory. It sounds like bullshit but in less than a couple of months I have gotten about 1100 down with around a 95% success rate when using flashcard apps to test my retention a couple hundred at a time. And my memory fucking sucked before I learned this technique out of the book.

For example, the kanji for Buddha is 仏, which is the symbol for person on the left and an elbow on the right. But person is too generic to remember so I change it to Mr T (there are a lot of kanji using that person symbol so I wrote a ton of stories about Mr T to remember them). Then the story to remember that one is "Mr T got a joint so big his elbows bow out when he's smoking that buddha" as I'm picturing him holding one of those giant joints like in Cheech & Chong's Up in Smoke. I probably wouldn't recommend the book to anyone not learning Japanese or Chinese, but the memory technique is really cool because stories are so much easier to remember than trying to picture a graphic in your head. For the buddha one you probably could but then this one 歳 for one's age? No way anyone is remembering that as a graphic. If you have a few minutes this is an interesting watch when this speaker describes how he learned the word moktor vs how vocabulary is ineffectively taught in a typical HS or college language course.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBMfg4WkKL8

Spurtacular
07-02-2019, 05:49 AM
nope, derp

So you don't even want to read that p.o.s. :lmao

Spurtacular
07-02-2019, 05:51 AM
I do the audiobooks; tastes might be different for persons into regular reading with wanting pictures or maps or whatever have you.

koriwhat
07-02-2019, 01:00 PM
the anarchist cookbook

dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb.

Please not for the reader with the request.
Please.

:lmao you think i'm a teenage anarchist is hilarious! then again i saw that garbage when i was in my teens and my buddy not only got it off some website but also from barnes & nobles(so anarchist!).

I have been studying this book called Remembering the Kanji by James Heisig. It teaches you how to memorize the 2200 main kanji of Japanese through making stories for each so that you can know the meaning and write them from memory. It sounds like bullshit but in less than a couple of months I have gotten about 1100 down with around a 95% success rate when using flashcard apps to test my retention a couple hundred at a time. And my memory fucking sucked before I learned this technique out of the book.

For example, the kanji for Buddha is 仏, which is the symbol for person on the left and an elbow on the right. But person is too generic to remember so I change it to Mr T (there are a lot of kanji using that person symbol so I wrote a ton of stories about Mr T to remember them). Then the story to remember that one is "Mr T got a joint so big his elbows bow out when he's smoking that buddha" as I'm picturing him holding one of those giant joints like in Cheech & Chong's Up in Smoke. I probably wouldn't recommend the book to anyone not learning Japanese or Chinese, but the memory technique is really cool because stories are so much easier to remember than trying to picture a graphic in your head. For the buddha one you probably could but then this one 歳 for one's age? No way anyone is remembering that as a graphic. If you have a few minutes this is an interesting watch when this speaker describes how he learned the word moktor vs how vocabulary is ineffectively taught in a typical HS or college language course.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBMfg4WkKL8

that's actually really rad and thanks for the suggestion. i've always wanted to learn Japanese but just haven't committed myself to it quite yet. i know a littler here and there due to tattooing Japanese motif. have you ever seen the 30-50 book collection of comics intended to teach Japanese? they seem like a good learning tool but i've yet to dive in.

thanks bud. :tu

I do the audiobooks; tastes might be different for persons into regular reading with wanting pictures or maps or whatever have you.

i only do audiobooks when i want to "reread" a book but i know a lot of people who love their audiobooks. what type of content are you into Spurt?

baseline bum
07-02-2019, 01:41 PM
that's actually really rad and thanks for the suggestion. i've always wanted to learn Japanese but just haven't committed myself to it quite yet. i know a littler here and there due to tattooing Japanese motif. have you ever seen the 30-50 book collection of comics intended to teach Japanese? they seem like a good learning tool but i've yet to dive in.

thanks bud. :tu

Nah never heard of it, but it sounds interesting. Do you remember what it's called? The spaced repetition systems dude talks about in that video are extremely helpful. I use a free one called Anki that has ports on PC, Android, and iOS. It's like a smart flash card system that tries to guess when you're about to forget something based on the last few times you saw it and whether you got it wrong, got it right, got it right and said it was hard, or got it right and said it was easy. Then it shows you the card on the day it thinks you're inching close to forgetting it. I wish I knew about these when I was dying in Spanish class in school.

Spurtacular
07-02-2019, 04:45 PM
i only do audiobooks when i want to "reread" a book but i know a lot of people who love their audiobooks. what type of content are you into Spurt?

Historical mostly. I don't believe much in the modern novel; though that's just a guess. I could be missing out for all I know.

FkLA
07-02-2019, 05:24 PM
https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/51OQRorJhJL._SL500_.jpg

Thread
07-03-2019, 12:07 PM
Oops, didn't read all of the initial post eschewing fiction & story telling. I'll delete this.

Will Hunting
07-03-2019, 01:08 PM
:lol that book is a piece of trash written for uneducated people who want to read a book that makes them feel knowledgeable about the business world

My grandmother nags me to read it every time I talk to her.

BD24
07-03-2019, 01:11 PM
:lol that book is a piece of trash written for uneducated people who want to read a book that makes them feel knowledgeable about the business world

Sounds like it is right up Joeys alley tbh

koriwhat
07-03-2019, 01:30 PM

read it when i was like 25 but like all self help books they all seem to regurgitate the same stuff. his at least comes from a personal experience of watching 2 different men operate on 2 different planes when it comes to making, spending, and saving money. his real dad(poor dad) must have some resentment for his rich dad(friends dad).

Sounds like it is right up Joeys alley tbh

surprised you didn't suggest, How To Run and Hide Like a Little Bitch Numerous Times Over but Still Try and Act Hard Online Because I Need and Want Online Friends by BD24? i heard it's a great book on how to be a total and utter bitch online and offline.

FkLA
07-03-2019, 01:40 PM

Depends on what you do with it, imo. I've been thinking about trying my luck in real estate, have been reading and listening to a lot of podcasts...and a bunch of successful real estate investors point to that book as the book that made the lightbulb come on for them. I doubt that's a coincidence.

Haven't read it yet but its next after I finish the current book I'm on, tbh.

Will Hunting
07-03-2019, 01:46 PM
Depends on what you do with it, imo. I've been thinking about trying my luck in real estate, have been reading and listening to a lot of podcasts...and a bunch of successful real estate investors point to that book as the book that made the lightbulb come on for them. I doubt that's a coincidence.

Haven't read it yet but its next after I finish the current book I'm on, tbh.
It's not a coincidence, widely marketed books like Rich Dad Poor Dad always load up on paid-for testimonials to increase sales.

07-03-2019, 01:49 PM
Haven't read it myself but might be useful for OP, tbh ...

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/518wY3jezwL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

koriwhat
07-03-2019, 01:55 PM
Haven't read it myself but might be useful for OP, tbh ...

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/518wY3jezwL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

too funny :tu

the funniest thing of all is yall thinking i'm this angry dude just by my posts here. i'm far from it. i just cuss a lot and so do yall but for some reason i'm the angry one here on the board. yall have no clue whatsoever.

FkLA
07-03-2019, 02:18 PM
It's not a coincidence, widely marketed books like Rich Dad Poor Dad always load up on paid-for testimonials to increase sales.

These are average Joe's not the Trumps of the real estate world. By successful I mean people that have as little as 5-10 properties. Maybe I'm naive, but it can't all be bullshit, imo.

Will Hunting
07-03-2019, 02:21 PM
These are average Joe's not the Trumps of the real estate world. By successful I mean people that have as little as 5-10 properties. Maybe I'm naive, but it can't all be bullshit, imo.
They're people with 5-10 properties who get paid by the publisher to give some bullshit testimonial about how Rich Dad Poor Dad transformed them from someone who was dirt poor into a real estate mogul :lol

koriwhat
07-03-2019, 02:55 PM

thanks again for the suggestion. about to get the book rn and start reading later tonight. :tu

have you read anymore similar to this book by chance?

SpursforSix
07-03-2019, 04:19 PM
thanks again for the suggestion. about to get the book rn and start reading later tonight. :tu

have you read anymore similar to this book by chance?

not really...I'm all over the place with books.

Actually...years ago I read Simulacra and Simulation by Jean Baudrillard.
It's a tough read partly due to the translation and partly due to the subject matter.
But it's fairly short. I think you'd dig it.

Fun fact...in the Matrix, the book can be seen on the floor in a scene.

koriwhat
07-03-2019, 04:23 PM
not really...I'm all over the place with books.

Actually...years ago I read Simulacra and Simulation by Jean Baudrillard.
It's a tough read partly due to the translation and partly due to the subject matter.
But it's fairly short. I think you'd dig it.

Fun fact...in the Matrix, the book can be seen on the floor in a scene.

that's pretty rad! i'll add those to my list. purchasing the ebook of the other rn.

Spurminator
07-03-2019, 05:01 PM

Someone randomly approached me in a bookstore once to recommend that book. I don't even think I was in a relevant section of the store, he just came up to me unsolicited and said I should check it out.

Only time that's ever happened to me.

Will Hunting
07-03-2019, 05:16 PM
Someone randomly approached me in a bookstore once to recommend that book. I don't even think I was in a relevant section of the store, he just came up to me unsolicited and said I should check it out.

I got 5 pages into it and stopped because of how stupid it was.

My grandmother has now given it to me for my birthday 3 different times, granted this is the same woman who just got bamboozled out of $6,000 because someone called her and said that her grandson was in jail, didn't want to tell his dad, and needed $6k of bail money :lol

FkLA
07-03-2019, 05:30 PM
They're people with 5-10 properties who get paid by the publisher to give some bullshit testimonial about how Rich Dad Poor Dad transformed them from someone who was dirt poor into a real estate mogul :lol

It's not really like that. The podcast I listen to is forum based, and is basically people telling their journeys. Some of the guests you can literally find old posts of them asking questions when they were first starting out. If Rich Dad Poor Dad is brought up there's no testimonial or time spent talking about it. There's still a lot of things to learn/work to do after that spark is ignited and that's what they spend their time talking about.

baseline bum
07-03-2019, 05:57 PM

Had it happen at the adult bookstore tbh

Thread
07-03-2019, 06:22 PM

You were in the arcade area, dumb-dumb. That was me. I told you:::"Get out, this stall is for 1 person, not 2."

baseline bum
07-03-2019, 06:25 PM
You were in the arcade area, dumb-dumb. That was me. I told you:::"Get out, this stall is for 1 person, not 2."

Nah it was a hooker

Spurminator
07-03-2019, 06:37 PM
Nah it was a hooker

What book did she recommend?

baseline bum
07-03-2019, 06:53 PM
What book did she recommend?

A magazine she was in :lol

Will Hunting
07-03-2019, 07:37 PM
It's not really like that. The podcast I listen to is forum based, and is basically people telling their journeys. Some of the guests you can literally find old posts of them asking questions when they were first starting out. If Rich Dad Poor Dad is brought up there's no testimonial or time spent talking about it. There's still a lot of things to learn/work to do after that spark is ignited and that's what they spend their time talking about.
I'm not sure how something can get brought up if they're not talking about it :lol

You made my point though, it's a cheese dick book about "igniting that entrepreneurial spark"

The type of people who actually think reading that book accomplishes anything are the same people who buy into Herbalife.

DMC
07-03-2019, 09:29 PM

And the men's room at the Denver JC Penny.

DMC
07-03-2019, 09:30 PM
I'm not sure how something can get brought up if they're not talking about it :lol

You made my point though, it's a cheese dick book about "igniting that entrepreneurial spark"

The type of people who actually think reading that book accomplishes anything are the same people who buy into Herbalife.

Just believe in yourself. Once you can do that you can convince someone else to believe in you, then you can hoodwink the fuck out of them.

FkLA
07-03-2019, 10:02 PM

It gets mentioned, not talked about. That's a lot different than giving a testimonial or going in depth about the book itself. The focus is the journey not the book. You're too cynical, imo. It's entirely possible that a book can spark some people.

pgardn
07-03-2019, 10:20 PM
The Beak of the Finch

Great read on natural selection documented and in all its glory.

spurraider21
07-04-2019, 01:24 AM
:lol sounds like dave ramsey show tbh

WE'RE DEBT FREEEE

Texas_Ranger
07-04-2019, 02:12 AM
Quran, so you can see how the muslim love other races. Good read. 10/10.

Spurtacular
07-04-2019, 06:40 AM
Blake likes it. Helps him become a better cuck.

:lmao

Millennial_Messiah
07-04-2019, 05:38 PM
Quran, so you can drop it in the toilet at the nearest mosque. 10/10.

fify

Ghazi
07-04-2019, 09:27 PM
Quran

Xevious
07-04-2019, 10:50 PM
:lol sounds like dave ramsey show tbh

WE'RE DEBT FREEEE
Dave Ramsey's principles are solid. But yeah the debt free screams are bullshit. Not that these people didn't pay off their debt, but they are heavily vetted before being allowed on the show so that they help sell/reinforce his brand. They even almost always use a lot of the same goofy terminology he uses.

koriwhat
07-05-2019, 05:40 PM
The Beak of the Finch

Great read on natural selection documented and in all its glory.

darwin? is it less about darwin and more about natural selection or a take on his studies of finches?

i didn't ask for books to burn tbh.

Quran

garbage.

koriwhat
07-05-2019, 05:42 PM
btw, bummer, i started reading the ebook of "Simulation Hypothesis" but i couldn't get past 30 pages and not because it's a boring read but because i realized my eyes can't take staring at my ipad when it comes to book reading. looks like i'm going to purchase the hardback/softback copy instead. :(

koriwhat
07-06-2019, 01:20 PM
going to start on this other book "The Laws of Human Nature" by Robert Greene that was given to me over a yr ago until my copy of "Simulation Hypothesis" shows up in my mailbox. i read Greene's other book "48 Laws of Power" some time back and found it interesting so i figure this should be decent too.