PDA

View Full Version : Summer League Grades: Spurs vs. Cavs - July 1, 2019

timvp
07-01-2019, 09:34 PM
https://www.spurstalk.com/spurs-summer-league-grades-cavaliers-recap-analysis/

All in all, I'm pretty excited by what we saw. It wasn't an amazing showing but there wasn't reason to be too down about anyone.

Again, if you are asked to accept notifications from SpursTalk, it'd be really helpful if you did. Thanks :tu

Pavlov
07-01-2019, 09:40 PM
The notification works fine if that's in question.

BWS-1994
07-01-2019, 09:41 PM
Thanks for the grades.

Yeah, was initially wondering why the Spurs released Ben Moore when we needed his skills at the wings...

Mugen
07-01-2019, 09:43 PM
Good read, thanks. Agree with the assessment on IV and Luka, disagree about Keldon. Length looked pretty good to me but maybe I'm just used to Patty/Forbes/Beli.....the physical base and bulldog mentality is there from what I saw...

Site coming together nicely tbh :tu

Russ
07-01-2019, 09:43 PM
Again, if you are asked to accept notifications from SpursTalk, it'd be really helpful if you did. Thanks :tu

I checked "No" before I realized it was legit.

Now, the prompt doesn't come up again. I'd like to accept the notifications. Can I?

slick'81
07-01-2019, 09:46 PM
Agreed! Good write up

timvp
07-01-2019, 09:47 PM
The notification works fine if that's in question.

Thanks for letting me know :tu

I checked "No" before I realized it was legit.

Now, the prompt doesn't come up again. I'd like to accept the notifications. Can I?

Do you see a bell in the lower left hand corner? If so, click it and it should ask again whether you want to accept notifications.

Mugen
07-01-2019, 09:50 PM
Subscribed to notifications.

Still gotta reiterate that a weekly "Deep Thoughts with ducks" would put this site on the f'n map tbh.

NASpurs
07-01-2019, 09:50 PM
I allowed notifications and I didn't get shit.

look_at_g_shred
07-01-2019, 09:51 PM
Subscribed to notifications.

Still gotta reiterate that a weekly "Deep Thoughts with ducks (https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=13)" would put this site on the f'n map tbh.
:lmao
CuteWizard’s YT “Clip of the day” tbh

r0drig0lac
07-01-2019, 09:51 PM
I really enjoyed Keldon defensively, he will probably have a few minutes in the regular season just for his defensive effort

Ron Swanson
07-01-2019, 09:52 PM

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Mugen
07-01-2019, 09:53 PM

:lol "Cutewizard's Catfish of the Week" is another prime time idea tbh.... lonely dudes getting catfished by a 40yo fat guy in the Philippines...

Russ
07-01-2019, 09:54 PM
I really enjoyed Keldon defensively, he will probably have a few minutes in the regular season just for his defensive effort

Keldon will be an effective offensive player, too, sooner than later . . .

NASpurs

That would be an immediate unsubscribe from me dawg.

look_at_g_shred

RD2191
07-01-2019, 09:56 PM
:lol "Cutewizard's Catfish of the Week" is another prime time idea tbh.... lonely dudes getting catfished by a 40yo fat guy in the Philippines...

Fool me once...

Kobe'sAchilles
07-01-2019, 10:00 PM
safe to say KJ is not better than DeRozan :lol

J_Paco
07-01-2019, 10:01 PM
I was hoping Moore and Eubanks would show a little more after a year in the Spurs system. Still have a little hope that Moore shows something and (probably won't happen) finds himself back on the team.

GAustex
07-01-2019, 10:03 PM
I was hoping Moore and Eubanks would show a little more after a year in the Spurs system. Still have a little hope that Moore shows something and (probably won't happen) finds himself back on the team.
If Eubanks can make 20 footers or so at a respectful percentage then maybe the scrub big?

TDMVPDPOY
07-01-2019, 10:08 PM
must dominate summer league or dleague to get a callup from the spurms, nothing to see here

even if they get a call up, still have to play behind wombat and italian stallion...

Kurgan
07-01-2019, 10:15 PM
safe to say KJ is not better than DeRozan :lol

Of course he's not(and I say that as someone that hates Derozan). Too much morons slurping everything they hear out of Calipari's mouth. Did anyone expect him to shit on his own players? Of course his coach is going to give him false praise. Calipari needs to recruit new players next year. He's probably happy Keldon's mediocre ass is gone.

We even had retards actually believing that Suns picked the wrong Johnson by mistake. That's how overrated Keldon has become in the Spurs fanbase. He's not a Derrick White - an older player that went low because he played for a small school. Keldon played for Kentucky...every NBA scout knew who he was and still passed on him for a reason. He doesn't have much upside. His poor season at Kentucky didn't help either. I don't know what the Spurs saw in him.

Pavlov
07-01-2019, 10:19 PM
:lol ST after SL game one

Russ
07-01-2019, 10:20 PM
Of course he's not(and I say that as someone that hates Derozan). Too much morons slurping everything they hear out of Calipari's mouth. Did anyone expect him to shit on his own players? Of course his coach is going to give him false praise. Calipari needs to recruit new players next year. He's probably happy Keldon's mediocre ass is gone.

We even had retards actually believing that Suns picked the wrong Johnson by mistake. That's how overrated Keldon has become in the Spurs fanbase. He's not a Derrick White - an older player that went low because he played for a small school. Keldon played for Kentucky...every NBA scout knew who he was and still passed on him for a reason. He doesn't have much upside. His poor season at Kentucky didn't help either. I don't know what the Spurs saw in him.

I like Derrick White. But Keldon Johnson will probably be better than Derrick White.

benefactor
07-01-2019, 10:21 PM
:lol ST after SL game one
Annual tradition tbh

Fusternino
07-01-2019, 10:22 PM
So Samanic can legit guard both forward positions?

8FOR!3
07-01-2019, 10:25 PM
Wouldn't mind Eubanks developing as the 3rd string center he seems solid enough to do so. And yeah his timing was oddly off which makes me wonder if that's a fixable thing when he's trying to block shots it's not like he just can't jump.

sasaint
07-01-2019, 10:28 PM

As a former U.K. fan I totally agree. Drafting a Wildcat is a total waste.

Dennis the Menace
07-01-2019, 10:29 PM

KJ is a better version of Danny Green with offensive potential. It was his first summer league game. Let 2 or 3 years of development happen before shitting on him.

He was the #13 ranked kid coming out of high school in the nation. Spurs development got this

LongtimeSpursFan
07-01-2019, 10:33 PM
https://www.spurstalk.com/spurs-summer-league-grades-cavaliers-recap-analysis/

All in all, I'm pretty excited by what we saw. It wasn't an amazing showing but there wasn't reason to be too down about anyone.

How do we get asked?

timvp
07-01-2019, 10:34 PM
So Samanic can legit guard both forward positions?

I think he's firmly a modern four. I don't think he's an every-possession perimeter defender but he can handle switches.

I don't see him able to become a full-time three.

Southwest Texas Fan
07-01-2019, 10:35 PM
Thanks for letting me know :tu

Do you see a bell in the lower left hand corner? If so, click it and it should ask again whether you want to accept notifications.

I’m not getting the bell

NASpurs
07-01-2019, 10:35 PM
I’m not getting the bell

Are you using Chrome?

MoSpur02
07-01-2019, 10:39 PM
Out of this year's three draft pick, today's most disappointing was Keldon Johnson, but it's all of their first game. Plus he's young just like Saminic. I would've liked to have seen Samanic and Johnson shoot more threes. Hopefully they will in the next game.

timvp
07-01-2019, 10:42 PM
I allowed notifications and I didn't get shit.Hmmm... the only thing I can think of is you have to allow notifications on each device you use.

I’m not getting the bellI'll look into a non-bell alternative.

Degoat
07-01-2019, 10:43 PM
Lonnie looked pretty good, I’d rather he attack the rim and get some 3s up but overall he was good, Luka looks promising I liked that he would try to dunk and block everything, and I don’t if you can grade Keldons game. defensively he seemed really good but he didn’t try much on offensive hopefully next game he’s more aggressive

Kurgan
07-01-2019, 10:43 PM
KJ is a better version of Danny Green with offensive potential. It was his first summer league game. Let 2 or 3 years of development happen before shitting on him.

He was the #13 ranked kid coming out of high school in the nation. Spurs development got this

lmao at better version of Danny Green. Danny Green's steal and block rates were much better than Keldon's in college. In fact, Keldon's reputation as a defender is overrated. Most Kentucky fans will tell you this. The stats back it up too. Defensively, he ranked on the lower end among all college shooting guards:

https://i.imgur.com/iuQ3c34.png

NASpurs
07-01-2019, 10:46 PM
I’m not getting the bell

This is what I just did right now.

On Chrome:

1. Click on the little lock next to the address bar.
2. Click on "Site settings"

https://i.imgur.com/vKcTWaF.jpg

3. Look for "Notifications"
4. Click on the dropdown list and select "Allow".
5. That's it. It should ask you if you want to reload the page.

https://i.imgur.com/2CmkjFE.jpg

Kurgan
07-01-2019, 11:00 PM
I like Derrick White. But Keldon Johnson will probably be better than Derrick White.

:lol Derrick White dominated a playoff game this season. Keldon can't even make a dent in the summer league. It's amazing that this scrub is already the most overrated Spur when he hasn't even suited up once yet.

Russ
07-01-2019, 11:07 PM
Hmmm... the only thing I can think of is you have to allow notifications on each device you use.

I'll look into a non-bell alternative.

I'm using Chrome and I got the bell.

Russ
07-01-2019, 11:07 PM
:lol Derrick White dominated a playoff game this season. Keldon can't even make a dent in the summer league. It's amazing that this scrub is already the most overrated Spur when he hasn't even suited up once yet.

Stay tuned . . .

ZeusWillJudge
07-01-2019, 11:08 PM
Nice writeup, as always. And a highlight video. Uptown!

I remember some past seasons, the SL games were so terrible that a bunch of people couldn't stand to watch them all the way to the end. Just mind-numbingly bad. This game was at a totally different level. Not jumping the gun and calling anybody a future star, but they were worlds better and more polished looking. I didn't feel like anyone had a hot night - they just played better. That's at least a hopeful sign.

Ben Moore got his 2-way deal cancelled, to make way for Weatherspoon. He still came to play with the SL squad, but I feel badly for him. I've heard that he's at least getting some interest from other teams, and tonight didn't do anything to hurt that. I always wish the best for guys like that who are just trying to catch a bench spot and get a chance.

If Weatherspoon uses his year in Austin to good advantage, I don't see any reason why he can't/won't make an NBA squad. It's sort of a bad break for him that this team has about a dozen guards (give or take :lol). But if he asserts himself in getting Chip to help him improve his 3P shooting, he may be the one to step in if it proves too expensive to keep Forbes. He's already a solid 3P shooter. If he gets any better, it's going to be hard to ignore him.

Chinook
07-01-2019, 11:12 PM
Keldon will be fine. He's a kid who likely will be a role-player for the foreseeable future trying to get his first NBA action. Next year, he'll probably have a good, but not great SL where he flashes some really intriguing offensive tools but ultimately doesn't rise as a star. Then in Year Three he'll be an effective starter who does well with a bigger offensive load. Then in Year Four, he'll be even more consistent but will show off his legit lowish ceiling. Then in RFA, the Spurs will let him walk and he'll be a solid, but not great NBA starter for other teams for years. Something like Joseph or Kyle.

DAF86
07-01-2019, 11:15 PM

lol no :lol

Chinook
07-01-2019, 11:15 PM

I remember some past seasons, the SL games were so terrible that a bunch of people couldn't stand to watch them all the way to the end. Just mind-numbingly bad. This game was at a totally different level. Not jumping the gun and calling anybody a future star, but they were worlds better and more polished looking. I didn't feel like anyone had a hot night - they just played better. That's at least a hopeful sign.

I remember those games where we were creaming ourselves over finally getting to see Ryan Richards and hyper-analyzing every DeShaun Thomas or Marcus Denmon highlight.

:lol What a shitty group of prospects.

EDIT: Holy shit, I didn't know Thomas and Denmon were still playing ball, let alone that they're both playing for Panathinaikos in the Euroleague. Good for them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qaqwep-Alo0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QH6gD_GhBjA

Kurgan
07-01-2019, 11:23 PM
lol is Ryan Richards still playing basketball. Last I remember, he was stinking it up in some of the worst European leagues.

Truth4sale$
07-01-2019, 11:25 PM
Great write up. Samanic looks really scrawny and NOT ready at all.

Chinook
07-01-2019, 11:31 PM
lol is Ryan Richards still playing basketball. Last I remember, he was stinking it up in some of the worst European leagues.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZP8foE_uD7k

Kurgan
07-01-2019, 11:33 PM
Great write up. Samanic looks really scrawny and NOT ready at all.

He actually impressed me tbh. He's definitely too thin though but he already looks more skilled than Poeltl. Doesn't have the body to play for us this year but one year in G-League(and some bulking up) and he could be a legit contributor next season.

Dejounte
07-01-2019, 11:50 PM

You can't give a rook some time, would you? It isnt exactly a hot take to shit on a 29th pick in the draft. We've been saying this for years...when Anderson was drafted, when Dejounte was drafted, when White was drafted.... That odds are against ANY team that the 29th amounts to anything. Yet here you are throwing a fit every chance you when anyone mildly compliments Johnson as if the expectation from the getgo would be he would be an automatic star. Most 29th picks bust, few turn out well and the few that do turn out well happen to take a few years before their potential has been realized and here you are giving this dude just one game to say "i told you so". I think its a pathetic and a lame schtick because i could definitely see you being a decent poster if you just got over it.

Manong Ginobili
07-01-2019, 11:58 PM
Samanic looked good as a rim protector, although he seemed slow in the perimeter. I also noticed he was tentative at times. LWIV is on a different level than these guys, easily.

raybies
07-02-2019, 12:04 AM
Great showings from the guys tonight. Loved what I saw from Weatherbee. Lonnie took awhile to figure things out and once he did he got a rhythm and went off. Luka looks like he could contribute this year in a pinch if a spot opens. As a role player he's pretty solid with his skill set and it's our biggest need. Maybe the hope's not warranted... but we'll see how the rest of SL goes. Still need to see more from Keldon. Tough first game.

timvp
07-02-2019, 12:06 AM
This is what I just did right now.

On Chrome:

1. Click on the little lock next to the address bar.
2. Click on "Site settings"

https://i.imgur.com/vKcTWaF.jpg

3. Look for "Notifications"
4. Click on the dropdown list and select "Allow".
5. That's it. It should ask you if you want to reload the page.

https://i.imgur.com/2CmkjFE.jpg

Awesome. Thanks for putting that together :tu

picnroll
07-02-2019, 12:06 AM
Tony Paarker 29th, Cory Joseph 29th, Kyle Anderson 29th, Dejounte Murray 29th, Derrick White 29 th. Seems like it’s a fool’s game picking that a Spurs’ 29th pick being a bust. That said i would have liked the Spurs going with Kevin Porter but he’s fairly redundant with their current young players.

Dejounte
07-02-2019, 12:14 AM
Agree with most of the points in the article.

Samanic: Extremely fast on the drive to the hoop. Game 2 will tell us a lot about his style of play. Does he continue his aggressiveness and drive to the hoop with wreckless abandon a la Ginobili? Or will the brick walls he encounters make him shrivel up and take bad shots out on the perimeter? I hope he stays aggressive on offense. He does need to learn a KD / Dirk fadeaway if he wants to become a star. A little bit more strength and he wont get easily knocked off from a post up and be forced to take an ugly scoop layup. On rebounding, he needs to work on his reaction time... The loose ball would hit his face at times and he would lose the rebound. On defense, he would be off his man and overhelp a lot. Not unexpected, Dejounte and Derrick White had a bad time with the defensive scheme their first year too. All in all, a great showing for Samanic.

Johnson was a no show, but probably trying to feel the game out as most rooks do. If he continues his passiveness (which i doubt) he and Q will probably be in the G league the entire year.

Q was solid. Definitely a good insurance plan when one of our current guards go to a new team.

raybies
07-02-2019, 12:17 AM
Agree with most of the points in the article.

Samanic: Extremely fast on the drive to the hoop. Game 2 will tell us a lot about his style of play. Does he continue his aggressiveness and drive to the hoop with wreckless abandon a la Ginobili? Or will the brick walls he encounters make him shrivel up and take bad shots out on the perimeter? I hope he stays aggressive on offense. He does need to learn a KD / Dirk fadeaway if he wants to become a star. A little bit more strength and he wont get easily knocked off from a post up and be forced to take an ugly scoop layup. On rebounding, he needs to work on his reaction time... The loose ball would hit his face at times and he would lose the rebound. On defense, he would be off his man and overhelp a lot. Not unexpected, Dejounte and Derrick White had a bad time with the defensive scheme their first year too. All in all, a great showing for Samanic.

Johnson was a no show, but probably trying to feel the game out as most rooks do. If he continues his passiveness (which i doubt) he and Q will probably be in the G league the entire year.

Q was solid. Definitely a good insurance plan when one of our current guards go to a new team.
He doesn't have a pro go to move. I don't think he's gonna be anything more than a 3 and D player which is fine cause we are going to need solid role players. Even Becky said they see him as a 3 and D. If he can be anything close to Danny Green, he'll have a long career. He's better at putting the ball down on the floor though so that's good.

Dejounte
07-02-2019, 12:22 AM
He doesn't have a pro go to move. I don't think he's gonna be anything more than a 3 and D player which is fine cause we are going to need solid role players. Even Becky said they see him as a 3 and D. If he can be anything close to Danny Green, he'll have a long career. He's better at putting the ball down on the floor though so that's good.

Putting the ball down on the floor is a big deal if youre comparing him to Green. Johnson has that fluidity with his drive Green never had. You would cringe at any time Green would try to handle the ball that way. I think that makes a big difference in Johnson's ceiling. But i agree with you, its a step by step process and if Johnson could get to Green's level in a year or two. I would be happy. Im not expecting the world from Johnson, but i do see something more than Danny Green when seeing his skillset.

Dejounte
07-02-2019, 12:25 AM
I also would like to take back my statement that Keldon doesnt look much bigger than Lonnie...he actually does. He has abnormally long looking arms compared to his body, like the opposite of a T-Rex. Reminds me of Iguodala's body type. Which is crazy because it isnt like his wingspan was reported as long, but they look really long on TV.

Maybe its an illusion. I dont know.

EricB
07-02-2019, 12:42 AM
Disagree completely on Weatherspoon and Johnson. Weatherspoon shows signs of being a good defensive combo guard.

ZeusWillJudge
07-02-2019, 01:02 AM
I remember those games where we were creaming ourselves over finally getting to see Ryan Richards and hyper-analyzing every DeShaun Thomas or Marcus Denmon highlight.

:lol What a shitty group of prospects.

EDIT: Holy shit, I didn't know Thomas and Denmon were still playing ball, let alone that they're both playing for Panathinaikos in the Euroleague. Good for them.

That right there made me laugh, because it's so true, and the memory is too clear. Oh my gosh, all the optimism over Ryan Richards' arrival. :lol

I confess I didn't know Denmon was still playing. I knew Thomas had stuck, but I would have lost a bet on Denmon. And, yeah, good for them. To me there's nothing worse than a guy getting this close to his dream and never quite reaching it.

siraulo23
07-02-2019, 03:14 AM
Walker :tu i hope he plays major minutes this upcoming season

Samanic made some mistakes but overall :tu

I barely noticed Keldon - he played 19 mins? huh? :lol

monty4329
07-02-2019, 05:52 AM
edit, redundant

duncan2150
07-02-2019, 06:40 AM
Thanks

for keldon, I will say that he didn’t get a lot of touches, a lot of guys are showcasing themselves so it will be difficult for I’m to show his tools.

It’s just one game but imo we could do better than Eubanks or Robinson if we want another inside guy.

TDMVPDPOY
07-02-2019, 06:52 AM
Putting the ball down on the floor is a big deal if youre comparing him to Green. Johnson has that fluidity with his drive Green never had. You would cringe at any time Green would try to handle the ball that way. I think that makes a big difference in Johnson's ceiling. But i agree with you, its a step by step process and if Johnson could get to Green's level in a year or two. I would be happy. Im not expecting the world from Johnson, but i do see something more than Danny Green when seeing his skillset.

and whats the chances of him not being here in a year or 2, or taking his talents else where after developing him but not giving any playing time?

TDMVPDPOY
07-02-2019, 07:01 AM
notice all the murray faggot fans are hyping up these young unproven rookies over white

lol wankers

Harry Callahan
07-02-2019, 07:06 AM
I agree with Rod - the Cavs prize rookie did not get really good looks with Keldon on him.

Winder(?) is a gunner for sure - he's got something for Cleveland. I can see why he ended up being a #1 for them. I heard a lot of people put him in the 29 range for SA prior to the draft, but he looks like a guy who could have a long NBA career.

Harry Callahan
07-02-2019, 07:14 AM

These players (especially Sam and Johnson) are literally teenagers with a lot of development ahead of them. I was pleased with what I saw considering it was a summer league game. The Spurs will do what they do regarding player development. They will be every opportunity to be their best. By the way Lonnie Walker has a ton of raw talent. Like I've said before - he can get any shot he wants on the floor. He needs time too. Last year was kind of lost with the injuries. Didn't he hurt his knee in the first pre-season game? I can't remember. Oh yeah, we get Dejonte Murray back as well.

The rebuild/reload is underway.

John B
07-02-2019, 07:34 AM
Thanks for the grades Timvp. Walker is a man among boys, and we shouldn’t forget he is just 20 and the same age as these guys. His physique and athleticism is great. He would be the our most athletic guy out there. He should be able to bullyball smaller guards

semanic can jump off the building. He’s still very raw but the tools are there. He’ll be an Austin mainstay. He needs to put 25 lbs of muscles tbh

KJ does not stick out, but again it’s 1st day.

Queen Dairy is a bulldog. Now this guy I’m excited. He could ball and already a better option than Mills tbh

Eubanks is solid. He has improved his outside shooting a lot. He attacks the rim well

Moore has the hassle, IQ but not the athleticism. I was rooting for him last season

Dejounte
07-02-2019, 07:57 AM
notice all the murray faggot fans are hyping up these young unproven rookies over white

lol wankers

Im proud of all of them. Give the Spurs the credit

Blackhaus
07-02-2019, 08:36 AM
There’s some terrible takes on here tbh. KJ had no involvement in the offensive scheme, he can’t just go steal the ball from his own player. Give him a break on his first game. He was told to go sit in the corner and play D and he did exactly that. This type of pickup, players trying to prove themself type of game is not going to showcase what he can bring to the table.

Walker showed the type of talent he has, the pull jumper is smooth. Once he learns to slow down and take what the defense gives him instead of forcing, he’ll be just fine. He needs to tone down the crazy jumping and reckless leg flailing tbh, protect them knees.

Luke looked good, yeah he’s got things to work on and bulk up but the talent is there and I can’t wait to see it unfold.

Weatherspoon surprised me with how under control he plays (other than the 2 stupid turnover in the 4th). He can be a solid piece moving forward especially once we finally move on from Patty and Byrne.

Overall it it was encouraging and enjoyable to watch, excited to see what the rest of the summer league shows us.

SAGirl
07-02-2019, 09:24 AM

Ben Moore got his 2-way deal cancelled, to make way for Weatherspoon. He still came to play with the SL squad, but I feel badly for him. I've heard that he's at least getting some interest from other teams, and tonight didn't do anything to hurt that. I always wish the best for guys like that who are just trying to catch a bench spot and get a chance.

If Weatherspoon uses his year in Austin to good advantage, I don't see any reason why he can't/won't make an NBA squad. It's sort of a bad break for him that this team has about a dozen guards (give or take :lol). But if he asserts himself in getting Chip to help him improve his 3P shooting, he may be the one to step in if it proves too expensive to keep Forbes. He's already a solid 3P shooter. If he gets any better, it's going to be hard to ignore him.
Good take on weatherspoon. There is definitely a risk that Bryn gets paid after this next season, after the deal Seth Curry got (a very comparable type of player). I look forward to see how Weatherspoon develops.

Also, I get what you mean about Ben Moore. I always wish well to former Spurs/Austin Spurs. He is definitely trying to catch on somewhere and I wish him luck. Blossomgame was eventually able to get a deal and there have been several guys to do so over the years. The most noticeable that comes to mind is Jamychal Green who eventually caught on in Memphis and stuck around to get paid, but there has been Blossomgame, Julian Washburn, Jarrel Eddie and others over the recent years.

SAGirl
07-02-2019, 09:39 AM
I also would like to take back my statement that Keldon doesnt look much bigger than Lonnie...he actually does. He has abnormally long looking arms compared to his body, like the opposite of a T-Rex. Reminds me of Iguodala's body type. Which is crazy because it isnt like his wingspan was reported as long, but they look really long on TV.

Maybe its an illusion. I dont know.
Probably the optical illusion is created by the fact that many of the players in the summer league aren't NBA quality players.

Dejounte
07-02-2019, 09:46 AM
Probably the optical illusion is created by the fact that many of the players in the summer league aren't NBA quality players.

What does the quality of the NBA players in the summer league have to do with Keldon's measurements...? You lost me there

SAGirl
07-02-2019, 09:53 AM
What does the quality of the NBA players in the summer league have to do with Keldon's measurements...? You lost me there
Size specially, (but athleticism too) makes many prospects not be NBA prospects.

There are all kinds in summer leagues, we are paying attention to the NBA prospects, but there's players there that are hoping to get deals in Europe etc too. In comparison Keldon may look huge in arms length for example when he might just be average for the NBA. Which is fine, you'd want average size at the very least for a first round pick.

Collins21
07-02-2019, 09:58 AM
Size specially, (but athleticism too) makes many prospects not be NBA prospects.

There are all kinds in summer leagues, we are paying attention to the NBA prospects, but there's players there that are hoping to get deals in Europe etc too. In comparison Keldon may look huge in arms length for example when he might just be average for the NBA. Which is fine, you'd want average size at the very least for a first round pick.

This makes no sense. The level of competition cannot make your limbs appear larger than they are. For example Keldon looked like a man amongst boys as far as limbs are concerned in college.

SAGirl
07-02-2019, 10:05 AM
This makes no sense. The level of competition cannot make your limbs appear larger than they are. For example Keldon looked like a man amongst boys as far as limbs are concerned in college.
My comment is not about the level of competition but rather the fact that many prospects in summer league are not NBA level prospects bc they are undersized etc. It's actually one of the things that makes NBA prospects stand out. They either look taller than everyone else in comparison, or are more athletic, stronger or skilled etc. In that sense my comment isn't about the level of competition but the quality of the prospects that you are comparing him to.

He's an NBA prospect and thus should look larger/bigger etc. When he's in the NBA he might look average. Won't explain more than that bc I think you are just being dense at this point if you don't understand it's all relative.

The comment I responded to was mentioning an optical illusion... and this is why.

ceperez
07-02-2019, 10:11 AM

Keldon Johnson has a standing reach of 8'8" (see combine). This is one inch higher than Danny Green. To put this in real perspective, Poetl is 7' without shoes and a 7'2.5" wingspan ... his standing react is only 8'9.5"

SAGirl
07-02-2019, 10:15 AM
Keldon Johnson has a standing reach of 8'8" (see combine). This is one inch higher than Danny Green. To put this in real perspective, Poetl is 7' without shoes and a 7'2.5" wingspan ... his standing react is only 8'9.5"
hm I would have expected Poetl to reach higher. But that's a good point. Keldon's size/length/reach might be the reason he's touted as a defensive prospect. He has good physical tools/size to develop.

ZeusWillJudge
07-02-2019, 10:33 AM

hm I would have expected Poetl to reach higher.

And you would have expected right, SAGirl. Poeltl has a standing reach of 9'3.5" (see combine). https://stats.nba.com/draft/combine-anthro/#!?SeasonYear=2016-17&sort=PLAYER_NAME&dir=1

Poeltl's wingspan is 7'2.75", which is 2.5" more than his height without shoes. His standing reach is 2'3" more than his height, which is enough. Usually if wingspan is more than height, and standing reach is more than 2' greater than height, the player is at least average.

Keldon Johnson's wingspan is 6'9.25" which is 4.5" more than his height w/o shoes. His standing reach is 8'8", which is 2'3.25" inches more than his height. Both guys are proportioned about normal for their height. Adequate, but not freakish.

SAGirl
07-02-2019, 10:47 AM
And you would have expected right, SAGirl. Poeltl has a standing reach of 9'3.5" (see combine). https://stats.nba.com/draft/combine-anthro/#!?SeasonYear=2016-17&sort=PLAYER_NAME&dir=1

Poeltl's wingspan is 7'2.75", which is 2.5" more than his height without shoes. His standing reach is 2'3" more than his height, which is enough. Usually if wingspan is more than height, and standing reach is more than 2' greater than height, the player is at least average.

Keldon Johnson's wingspan is 6'9.25" which is 4.5" more than his height w/o shoes. His standing reach is 8'8", which is 2'3.25" inches more than his height. Both guys are proportioned about normal for their height. Adequate, but not freakish.

Thanks for the clarification Mr. Zeus. I didn't look this up bc my original comment was about perception and illusion, ja ja. But as more comments were made on this subject, this certainly helps.

duncan2150
07-02-2019, 11:21 AM

That's strange for Poetl, maybe the mistake by Ceperez was here https://www.nbadraft.net/2016-nba-draft-combine-measurements

other than that i agree but i will say Johnson has a little bit better size than adequate for the position with that wingspan and standing reach.

ZeusWillJudge
07-02-2019, 11:38 AM
That's strange for Poetl, maybe the mistake by Ceperez was here https://www.nbadraft.net/2016-nba-draft-combine-measurements

other than that i agree but i will say Johnson has a little bit better size than adequate for the position with that wingspan and standing reach.

I wasn't knocking the guy. There are mistake in websites all the time. Basketball-Reference didn't have Metu's contract on the Spurs' page the other day, and I got caught by it. You're right, nbadraft doesn't agree with the NBA site. The NBA's site is probably right, but I can't even say that for 100% sure. I've seen mistakes on their site, too.

I just happened to have been looking at some of the guys' measurements, so I remembered that neither of those guys had alligator arms. It would be really nice if KJ had one of those X-Men wingspans, but if I could get a wish like that, I'd spend it on me and not him.

duncan2150
07-02-2019, 11:43 AM
I wasn't knocking the guy. There are mistake in websites all the time. Basketball-Reference didn't have Metu's contract on the Spurs' page the other day, and I got caught by it. You're right, nbadraft doesn't agree with the NBA site. The NBA's site is probably right, but I can't even say that for 100% sure. I've seen mistakes on their site, too.

I just happened to have been looking at some of the guys' measurements, so I remembered that neither of those guys had alligator arms. It would be really nice if KJ had one of those X-Men wingspans, but if I could get a wish like that, I'd spend it on me and not him.

I know and overall i agree with you.

rjv
07-02-2019, 11:58 AM
it was nice to see walker realize he was the best player on the floor and then finally take up his effort. once he did, some of his improvements became apparent. i liked samanic and would add that some of his flaws may have been exaggerated later in the game as he looked very gassed in part of the 3rd and 4th quarter. quindarry looked like the older, less rattled one to start and his four years of college seemed to pay off. i think luka and keldon were a bit too jumpy to start and luka seemed to settle in more nicely than keldon. it will be great to see if they seem a little less antsy tonight. great write-up though and i accepted the notifications also.

ceperez
07-02-2019, 12:31 PM

I think is a typo on the nbadraft site!!! It didn't make sense. I originally wanted to write that Kawhi standing reach is 8'10" . But I stumbled up Poetl's numbers and found it curiously interesting.

LaMarcus Bryant
07-02-2019, 12:51 PM
I heard lonnie tore his knee again

GAustex
07-02-2019, 12:54 PM
Wtf
Ban if not true

Mugen
07-02-2019, 12:54 PM

?

LaMarcus Bryant
07-02-2019, 12:56 PM
Wtf
Ban if not true

Hyperextension on a layup

YoungbuckMurray
07-02-2019, 12:57 PM

WTF??

rjv
07-02-2019, 12:57 PM
?

attention whore post.

LaMarcus Bryant
07-02-2019, 12:58 PM
https://twitter.com/BBiomechanics/status/1145846503837175809

picnroll
07-02-2019, 01:05 PM
That happen in last nights game?

duncan2150
07-02-2019, 01:06 PM
That happen in last nights game?

Yes but I think it was in the first quarter and he played after that.

GAustex
07-02-2019, 01:07 PM
Hyperextension on a layup
That was early and he stayed in the game
Is he now complaining of pain?

SAGirl
07-02-2019, 01:08 PM
^ Far as I know doesn't necessarily show that he got injured, but the twitter account appears to be from a coach specializing in biomechanics and basketball and being an example of injury prone moves is not what I'd like to see in Lonnie. Hope he's alright tbh. If he's injury prone doesn't matter if it's summer league or regular season, he'd still get injured.

GAustex
07-02-2019, 01:10 PM
Get to close to the sun your wings melt....
Hope he is ok
I guess he need to learn to pick his spots better

picnroll
07-02-2019, 01:10 PM
^ Far as I know doesn't necessarily show that he got injured, but the twitter account appears to be from a coach specializing in biomechanics and basketball and being an example of injury prone moves is not what I'd like to see in Lonnie. Hope he's alright tbh. If he's injury prone doesn't matter if it's summer league or regular season, he'd still get injured.
Guy needs to stop making moves that does shit to his knees.

Chinook
07-02-2019, 01:14 PM
https://twitter.com/BBiomechanics/status/1145846503837175809

Yeah, I saw that too and was worried. But he ran up the court and played better from then on. I want to say that play was in the first quarter, so either the Spurs missed it or thought it wasn't a big deal. If he's out today, it could be more concerning. Still, yeah, Walker might have to tone it down a bit or brace up or something.

LaMarcus Bryant
07-02-2019, 01:15 PM
Shows a lack of control with his explosiveness. Could be due to poor agility or muscle imbalance or both.

Russ
07-02-2019, 01:15 PM
A lotta drama with this guy . . .

SAGirl
07-02-2019, 01:16 PM
Guy needs to stop making moves that does shit to his knees.
I read the description over, and looked at the first like 5 tweets from the guy and it just seems the coach is including that clip to show that extending the left foot to create space as Lonnie does in that clip results in sub-optimal results. Doesn't say anything about injuries, but it certainly exposes him without creating the necessary separation he wants for the layup. Guy isn't injured. Needs coaching to protect his knees tho.

JeffDuncan
07-02-2019, 01:21 PM
Hyperextended knees, and elbows, and also thumbs, are pretty common, and usually not serious. Some soreness the next day, and for a few days, and minor swelling. Treat with a cold pack and aspirin or equivalent. Doubt it's significant. Guys usually play through them. If it's sore enough to matter we'll get an injury report.

Ice009
07-02-2019, 01:23 PM
Darn. I hope Lonnie is alright, and if he is, he needs to start learning not to do movements that could damage his knees. Geez, Lonnie, be careful man.

koriwhat
07-02-2019, 01:36 PM
watching rn... rough start!

ulosturedge
07-02-2019, 02:22 PM
Lonnie played through it and was still flying around and jumping over people. Seems like a non-issue to me. On another note Luka wasn't getting alot of touches early on and still made buckets when he finally did. This guy seems calm and collected, and doesn't need high volume shots to be effective. Once Keldon and Luka figure out the flow of the game and the team starts building some chemistry I'm sure they'll put up some better showings.

Pavlov
07-02-2019, 02:26 PM
https://twitter.com/BBiomechanics/status/1145846503837175809That happened at the 6:30 mark of the first quarter. Walker scored all his points after that.

Roscoe P. Coltrane
07-02-2019, 02:53 PM
Great showings from the guys tonight. Loved what I saw from Weatherbee. Lonnie took awhile to figure things out and once he did he got a rhythm and went off.Could it be that the other teams players were gassed by that point?

look_at_g_shred
07-02-2019, 03:03 PM
Could it be that the other teams players were gassed by that point?
If that's the case, why wasn't he?

wildbill2u
07-02-2019, 04:39 PM
I love this shit. The very first game for most of these youngsters in the NBA Summer League and the Spurs Talk experts are already trying to rank them in the Top 1000 Rookies since the league was formed.

slick'81
07-02-2019, 04:44 PM
I love this shit. The very first game for most of these youngsters in the NBA Summer League and the Spurs Talk experts are already trying to rank them in the Top 1000 Rookies since the league was formed.

Just wait until murray,white and walker all want max money :lmao

Southwest Texas Fan
07-02-2019, 10:22 PM
Are you using Chrome?

Nope