PDA

View Full Version : Summer League Grades: Spurs vs. Grizzlies - July 2, 2019

timvp
07-02-2019, 09:45 PM
https://www.spurstalk.com/spurs-summer-league-grades-grizzlies-game-2/

Quite the bounce-back effort from Keldon Johnson. He was invisible in Game 1. In Game 2, he was by far the best player on the court. Good stuff :tu

r0drig0lac
07-02-2019, 09:47 PM
I still think Keldon will have minutes since the start of the season because of his defense, but his ability to make the open three and especially his ability to go to the free throw line make him a player with a higher ceiling than the "role player" and I really would like to see Ben Moore on the main team, this kid is a player.

timvp
07-02-2019, 09:51 PM
I still think Keldon will have minutes since the start of the season because of his defense, but his ability to make the open three and especially his ability to go to the free throw line make him a player with a higher ceiling than the "role player" and I really would like to see Ben Moore on the main team, this kid is a player.

He recognizes out of position defenders a la Harden. Obviously not at the same level but some players never get that skill. KJ also can already flail-and-wail like he's a Gasol brother.

Pretty interesting stuff. I think his lack of athleticism holds his ceiling down ... but he's also young enough that he could possibly get more athletic in the next year or two :tu

raybies
07-02-2019, 09:52 PM
:tu

barakz21
07-02-2019, 09:56 PM
Any idea why Lonnie didn’t play? Was it precaution or are they already happy with what they saw out of him during the first game?

phxspurfan
07-02-2019, 09:59 PM
As others have mentioned, Ahearn looks like he has aged 20 years. Crazy

Sammich is super raw and needs to be stashed in Austin. He’s nowhere close, like 2 years away at least, from being helpful on a non-tanking team.

Keldon, OTOH is a 6’6” Black Jesus with a 6’9” wingspan who can draw fouls and brick important free throws in an NBA game. Sign him up for the 15th man role and stints in Austin.

SAGirl
07-02-2019, 10:02 PM
I have that hope too.

ZeusWillJudge
07-02-2019, 10:04 PM
Any idea why Lonnie didn’t play? Was it precaution or are they already happy with what they saw out of him during the first game?

Read a tweet that said they are just resting him to get ready for Vegas, and that it was nothing to worry about.

sasaint
07-02-2019, 10:07 PM
I have that hope too.

One of the weirder things about last season was that the Spurs didn’t really give Moore a look-see in San Antonio.

Larry O
07-02-2019, 10:11 PM
To be honest, KJ3 looks more impressive and polished on both sides of the ball than LW4 right now. Perhaps if both continue to play in the SL, maybe their confidence and feeling comfortable on the court will improve. SL is gonna be intriguing! GSG!!!

ZeusWillJudge
07-02-2019, 10:11 PM
I love this new format for the reports. Very professional and attractive. You've taken the whole site up a notch with it.

Moore is also not a shooter, which is tragic for a prospect of his ilk with how the league is going. He shoots his free throws one-handed and turns down three-pointers even if he has feet upon feet of open airspace.

So why do you think that is? He shot .362 in the G-League last year.

Floyd Pacquiao
07-02-2019, 10:14 PM
Spurs closing line up
White
Murray
Walker
K.Johnson
Aldridge

Kurik
07-02-2019, 10:15 PM
He recognizes out of position defenders a la Harden. Obviously not at the same level but some players never get that skill. KJ also can already flail-and-wail like he's a Gasol brother.

Pretty interesting stuff. I think his lack of athleticism holds his ceiling down ... but he's also young enough that he could possibly get more athletic in the next year or two :tu

I believe in Mike Schmitz’s breakdown video of KJ, he mentioned that early on in high school he wasn’t in the best of shape and conditioning. So he has only been in shape the last 2-3 years so here’s to hoping for some growth and more athleticism..

SpurPadre
07-02-2019, 10:17 PM

I haven't been able to catch these games, unfortunately but I don't get this talk of him being unathletic. His athleticism has been rated as above average on all the scouting reports I've seen. NBA Draftnet has his athleticism as an 8/10.

raybies
07-02-2019, 10:17 PM
I love this new format for the reports. Very professional and attractive. You've taken the whole site up a notch with it.

So why do you think that is? He shot .362 in the G-League last year.
100% With a little more guidance the forum has been a lot more tolerable and fun to be around. love the new aesthetics and where it's going.

phxspurfan
07-02-2019, 10:19 PM
100% With a little more guidance the forum has been a lot more tolerable and fun to be around. love the new aesthetics and where it's going.

Bend over, I’ll show ya where it’s going

raybies
07-02-2019, 10:20 PM
Bend over, I’ll show ya where it’s going
dam :lol

spurraider21
07-02-2019, 10:22 PM
thanks for the write-up timvp :tu

DPG21920
07-02-2019, 10:24 PM
He seems very reliant on strength and length. He’s not a bad athlete and seems to be able to jump (not in traffic) fine, but he seems like he can do a lot more than just spot up

Mugen
07-02-2019, 10:24 PM
Good stuff tbh, hopefully the guys stay healthy...I think they have a good chance of winning Vegas if they do.

GAustex
07-02-2019, 10:28 PM
Good grief ST looking at Keldon through some serious Spurs tinted glasses

SpurPadre
07-02-2019, 10:32 PM
From what I've seen from him in college, his athleticism is decent too and better than Green's, tbh.

BackHome
07-02-2019, 10:33 PM
I am curious what two players do you think will get the 2 Way Contract?

John B
07-02-2019, 11:02 PM
Thanks for the grades. Keldon has the skills to be great, and the charisma to be a star. The future is bright with our young guns :fro

L.I.T
07-03-2019, 12:50 AM
Spurs staff was able to unlock a bit of unseen athleticism in Derrick White, and he was a few years older than KJ. I wonder if they see something in KJ as well.

playblair
07-03-2019, 02:33 AM
keldon wasnt invisible in game 1...........lonnie took all his shots........keldon showed what he can do when he is the focal point

spurraider21
07-03-2019, 03:11 AM
his 3 point stroke was probably the most promising thing we've seen, as far his ability to get in the rotation this season

Larry O
07-03-2019, 03:42 AM
To be honest, KJ3 looks more impressive and polished on both sides of the ball than LW4 right now. Perhaps if both continue to play in the SL, maybe their confidence and feeling comfortable on the court will improve. SL is gonna be intriguing! GSG!!!

kobyz
07-03-2019, 03:48 AM
I think we should all be disappointed with Semanic play, that pick looking more and more like a bigtime reach, like advertise, with very little chance to pan out...

GreekSpursfan
07-03-2019, 03:51 AM
We all hope for the best for Keldon and we hope he develops faster than anticipated but from that to jump to conclusions like being part of finishing line ups in actual NBA games is kind of ridiculous tbh. Pump the breaks people, he's probably gonna get a few mins here and there but thats about it.

slick'81
07-03-2019, 03:56 AM
We all hope for the best for Keldon and we hope he develops faster than anticipated but from that to jump to conclusions like being part of finishing line ups in actual NBA games is kind of ridiculous tbh. Pump the breaks people, he's probably gonna get a few mins here and there but thats about it.

im def not expecting much this season but hopefully he pans out

duncan2150
07-03-2019, 04:08 AM
It was a nice decision to rest Lonnie and others, that allows KJ to shows his game. The guy will be something in a few years if he keeps working.

Agree with Samanic, he will take some time to develop but the tools are here and i can say that he will not be a bust. When a guy like that has the athletism, all he needs is to work on his body and decision making, ball handling like you say.

His vision looks good by the way

I'm also not fond of Moore the guy is pretty good but imo he doesn't have the tools now to succeed in the nba.

Dr. John R. Brinkley
07-03-2019, 05:27 AM
Another game or two like this and they’ll have to retire his jersey...for the Toros.

Truth4sale$
07-03-2019, 06:17 AM
Thanks again for the write up TimVP.
Gotta say, there seems to be some interesting talent on this roster, compared to last year. It's just a shame there are no open slots on the big club. Especially with Samanic and Metu development projects taking up space.
I think Jordan Bennett looked great out there , along with Darell Poiter. They deserve a camp invite at least, and hopefully a stash for a season on the Austin spurs.

Drom John
07-03-2019, 11:31 AM
My matchup to watch was an absolute draw.
Konchar v. Weatherspoon combined for two DNP.

wildbill2u
07-03-2019, 11:34 AM
Another game or two like this and they’ll have to retire his jersey...for the Toros.

I'll tell ya who they will have to retire his jersey for the Toros. That poor bastard Ledbetter makes 5 threes and nobody mentions it. He has been working his butt off for the Toros for years with some outstanding play--for that level--, but just can't make the big team. One day he will tear up the Austin amateur senior leagues :clap

Drom John
07-03-2019, 11:40 AM

Samanic seems to have very weak hands when trying to score in traffic.

Degoat
07-03-2019, 11:51 AM
Luka definitely has skill but he’s got some stuff to figure out though, let’s just hope Nassir Little and Brandon Clarke suck worse because I’m big fan of Brandon Clarke especially

Pavlov
07-03-2019, 11:57 AM
I wouldn't worry about any 19 year old after 45 minutes of summer league play. He's going to be in Austin a lot the first year.

SAGirl
07-03-2019, 12:12 PM
I think those who didn't watch the game don't realize how poor the talent on the floor was for the Grizzlies.
They didn't play any even marginal NBA prospect. They saved up not only their recent draft picks, but also their Gleague regulars and their 2 way deal players, etc.

BackHome
07-03-2019, 01:16 PM
Thanks again for the write up TimVP.
Gotta say, there seems to be some interesting talent on this roster, compared to last year. It's just a shame there are no open slots on the big club. Especially with Samanic and Metu development projects taking up space.
I think Jordan Bennett looked great out there , along with Darell Poiter. They deserve a camp invite at least, and hopefully a stash for a season on the Austin spurs.

Yeah this is a great team lots of talent it will be hard trying to figure out who gets the two way contract. I was high on Ben Moore but I don’t know if he can make the switch to SF he is still a NBA talent just don’t know if he fits us now. To me Metu is going to have to show up cause Eubanks is looking good. Right now I would like Weatherspoon and Bennett
to get 2 Way Contracts.

D-Robinson 50 fan
07-03-2019, 01:30 PM
I know this is gonna come off as hating but I promise I'm not hating. Keldon did a good job tonight but honestly 70% of his buckets came off hustle junk plays, ie. finishing layups off steals, rebounds, or loose balls. He didn't do a good job of creating his own shots or creating for others also. I did love that he knocked down his free throws, and open 3 pointers.

The thing I really do like about Keldon is he really gives great effort on defense! I think once he gets stronger and starts learning more about players tendencies, correct ways to close out on shooters, and fighting through screens, he will be an even better defender than what he is.

In closing, his scoring numbers were nice in the game but the way he scored honestly didn't show a whole lot but his defense and constant energy in both games is a very tangible thing to judge him on and be excited about.

K...
07-03-2019, 02:37 PM
Yeah this is a great team lots of talent it will be hard trying to figure out who gets the two way contract. I was high on Ben Moore but I don’t know if he can make the switch to SF he is still a NBA talent just don’t know if he fits us now. To me Metu is going to have to show up cause Eubanks is looking good. Right now I would like Weatherspoon and Bennett
to get 2 Way Contracts.

Metu got capspace, he's on the roster unless waived. Last year the 2way were eubanks and Moore. Qwrty I think it's guaranteed to get one. Moore had been told to look elsewhere. Eubanks is still in the hunt, but that's what these games are for, and he could easily decide to go elsewhere