PDA

View Full Version : Summer League Grades: Spurs vs. Jazz - July 3, 2019

timvp
07-04-2019, 12:42 AM
https://www.spurstalk.com/grades-spurs-summer-league-jazz-game-3/

I guess the Spurs won't go undefeated during summer league :depressed

Good to see LW4 come alive after sleepwalking through the first half, tbh.

John B
07-04-2019, 01:19 AM
This game reminded me that we need a big guy. Willie Reed was just too big and overpowered Eubanks and everybody. Bottomline, Eubanks cannot guard athletic big men.

slick'81
07-04-2019, 01:25 AM
This game reminded me that we need a big guy. Willie Reed was just too big and overpowered Eubanks and everybody. Bottomline, Eubanks cannot guard athletic big men.

Ewwbanks needs to go bye bye

phxspurfan
07-04-2019, 01:28 AM
I Googled Willie Reed to see who is this guy who killed Eubanks and got a mugshot :lol

timvp
07-04-2019, 01:33 AM
I Googled Willie Reed to see who is this guy who killed Eubanks and got a mugshot :lol

:lol

There were rumors for a while that the Spurs were interested in signing him ... but that ended when he got arrested.

venitian navigator
07-04-2019, 01:37 AM

the same happened in the first game with Bolden...all this don't go well with the perspective of giving Eubancks a regular contract...he really suffers against big men stronger, heavier and higher than him. Franckly, I think we have to find another big man...one on the market probably for the minimum is one that already knows our system and that we are already paiyng more than 5 millions...at this point, for the minimum, he could be the best solution...just as a special weapon against some specific big men...

John B
07-04-2019, 02:02 AM
the same happened in the first game with Bolden...all this don't go well with the perspective of giving Eubancks a regular contract...he really suffers against big men stronger, heavier and higher than him. Franckly, I think we have to find another big man...one on the market probably for the minimum is one that already knows our system and that we are already paiyng more than 5 millions...at this point, for the minimum, he could be the best solution...just as a special weapon against some specific big men...
You don’t mean Gasol?? :dizzy

I’m thinking more of Boogie. Jokic, Adams, Davis, Whiteside, Capela.. and that’s just the West

On a brighter side, Queen Dairy is a beast. I wouldn’t mind keeping him for awhile. He would be a stud.

Walker, still seems has not slowed down his game. He’s like a Lambo in a school zone, needs to slow down, control.

venitian navigator
07-04-2019, 02:27 AM
You don’t mean Gasol?? :dizzy

I’m thinking more of Boogie. Jokic, Adams, Davis, Whiteside, Capela.. and that’s just the West

On a brighter side, Queen Dairy is a beast. I wouldn’t mind keeping him for awhile. He would be a stud.

Walker, still seems has not slowed down his game. He’s like a Lambo in a school zone, needs to slow down, control.

I'd like Boogie too for the minimum or the rest of the MLE or the LLE (we have it, right?) but I thinck he's gonna command more money once nephew is signed...and he's just waiting for that. Yes, I was meaning Pau...that I disliked for all the time he played here in relationship with the price paid for him...but you can't deny the obvious: he's big, still strong to catch contested rebounds against any (very) big men, already knows the system, still has an outside shot and a lot of offensive movements, will be in shape 'cause he's playing in the summer and is in any case already being paid by us a good amount of money...if he shows this summer he still has game, I think he could come back for the minimum...and give us back the favor, considering we economically treated him with "white gloves" for all the time he spent with us (and not only we have mainteined our word to re-sign him with a TWO YEARS CONTRACT after the "try to sign Chris Paul" fiasco, but we also agreed to a big buy out just to appease his will and send him to a contender )...

MoSpur02
07-04-2019, 02:38 AM
Willie Reed was someone the Spurs were looking to sign a couple of seasons ago. He has the physical tools, but is missing upstairs.

I like Timvp am rooting for Robinson. I wish he could put it all together during a game consistently, but he's always lacking something it seems like. Tonight he was close. Eubanks sucks. I'm sure he's a great person, but I don't want him on the Spurs roster. The Spurs need to find a better option at center.

Another guy I'm rooting for is Ledbetter. He played good tonight. Not his best performance, but solid.

venitian navigator
07-04-2019, 02:41 AM
Back to the topic, I have to say I'm a little disappointed about what I see as a lack of progress of Walker...imho its obvious he has all the tools, but seems also obvious he lacks a big part of what a basketball players should be. More than everything alse, I don't see him moving well without the ball...not a single screen made, not a move on the right position for a fast catch and shoot, not a good cut to the basket or back door...he's just good with the ball in his hands, but also there is obvious that he suffers going to the basket against athletic big men, and that his main weapon (thanks to his good touch and very good jumping) is a short mid range shot (aka a kind of shot that is not gonna give him a lot of fouls/free throws). I also don't see any brilliance on defense despite his athletic skills.
In short : its obvious he's an athletic weapon, but that was obvious from the starting...the point is that imho he still looks a long way to go in the understanding of the game and in the undertanding of our system...I hope I'm totally wrong...

siraulo23
07-04-2019, 03:31 AM
Walker got a long way to go

But hes so young he got time to figure it out

tbdog
07-04-2019, 03:52 AM
Don't worry about Walker. Summer league is a shit fight. Everyone that doesn't have a contract is fighting for one. Walker clearly is above anyone else on that roster and it's not close.

Atl Spur
07-04-2019, 06:27 AM
#24 is worth a gleague spot....... I like his defense

lmbebo
07-04-2019, 08:46 AM
Walker when he goes one on one, he's ok, but very myopic. Other parts of the game are needing help.

pad300
07-04-2019, 08:51 AM
Pau, to me, is a pass. I think his body is just not up to nba level any more. Remember, we bought him out after a big missed period with injury. Then he went to the bucks and got injured again. I suspect he's breaking down...

venitian navigator
07-04-2019, 08:55 AM
Pau, to me, is a pass. I think his body is just not up to nba level any more. Remember, we bought him out after a big missed period with injury. Then he went to the bucks and got injured again. I suspect he's breaking down...

well, in any case we have the summer to check it...

Harry Callahan
07-04-2019, 09:21 AM
Oh no. It may be too late for Lonnie Walker. Please. The guy is 20 years old. I see a guy who is enjoying the game and has really improved a lot from last year. He has years of development ahead of him with SA.

I can see why the Spurs were interested in him all along.

Dejounte
07-04-2019, 09:53 AM
Lonnie does get tunnel vision at times. Thats my only complaint about him. Actually, its annoying when he makes the wrong choices on offense coming off screens.

BackHome
07-04-2019, 10:12 AM
Gasol was done two years ago I’ll take a hard pass on him. So far Eubanks has Not performed the way I thought he was his defense has been terrible and he offers zero rim protection. After watching some other teams it seems there is always one big guy who is actually pretty good need to watch more though.

Roscoe P. Coltrane
07-04-2019, 11:00 AM
Lonnie does get tunnel vision at times. Thats my only complaint about him. Actually, its annoying when he makes the wrong choices on offense coming off screens. his ceiling is a more athletic Gary neal.

Mr. Body
07-04-2019, 11:07 AM
Walker needs so much work. He's only improved his jump shot but is a mess everywhere else. I could see him being effective later in the season, but he's got a lot of work to do.

Robinson -- small surprise. Kansas players suck. Bill Self is like a turbo-drive waster of talent. Just recruits and they make the leap and they suck. Only Embiid has been worth a shit for twenty years. I can see him down the bench or in Europe. He's doing some things right, but is definitely an overall bust.

Truth4sale$
07-04-2019, 06:03 PM
Eubanks showed why he is a two way player and not 3rd string center on the roster. Simple..he has good qualities but does not have the strength, length and rebounding recognition to bang with bigger guys. He was able to score against Reed but on defense against he was abused way to much. He might be better off expanding his range and moving to the power forward position.
I would have lliked to have seen the french big Darell Poieir against Reed in the second half. He has range, could have opened the inside for the guards and is s bit bigger. Would have been a good test for him.
Walker is VERY lazy on defense. Seems very similar to DeRozan, ,and that is not a compliment. He is not as good as Walker, and possibly not as good as Keldon, because he competes on defense.
Why did Josh Magette get the start, he showed nothing at all. Nothing even to join Austin Spurs.
Jeff Ledbetter deserves a camp invite for his years of summer league service. In 5 years he will be the Austin Coach anyway

duncan2k5
07-05-2019, 01:29 PM
Back to the topic, I have to say I'm a little disappointed about what I see as a lack of progress of Walker...imho its obvious he has all the tools, but seems also obvious he lacks a big part of what a basketball players should be. More than everything alse, I don't see him moving well without the ball...not a single screen made, not a move on the right position for a fast catch and shoot, not a good cut to the basket or back door...he's just good with the ball in his hands, but also there is obvious that he suffers going to the basket against athletic big men, and that his main weapon (thanks to his good touch and very good jumping) is a short mid range shot (aka a kind of shot that is not gonna give him a lot of fouls/free throws). I also don't see any brilliance on defense despite his athletic skills.
In short : its obvious he's an athletic weapon, but that was obvious from the starting...the point is that imho he still looks a long way to go in the understanding of the game and in the undertanding of our system...I hope I'm totally wrong...

That was my issue with him since last year... He doesn't have that "dog" mentality... Tim Duncan was a dog... He was quiet, but he will go AT you... Lonnie seems like he is more interested in saving the tigers than getting at someone on the court

ceperez
07-05-2019, 01:45 PM

Given the small sample size, I will agree with you here.

Keldon Johnson to me has better basketball instincts (today) than Walker IV.

Given this, I still recall that Donovan Mitchell compared Walker IV's game to his own.