PDA

View Full Version : Trade Target: Robert Covington

apalisoc_9
07-04-2019, 10:52 PM
Multiple reports suggest hes on the trading block...i read on wolved forum for picks and an established star.

The best perimter defender the year before and last year, imo. Really good shooter and rebounder and straight driver.

Imo the 2nd best 3&D player in the league right now behind klay thompson.

Dverde
07-04-2019, 10:54 PM
Glad to see your on top of the wolves forum. Go away for now.

GAustex
07-04-2019, 10:55 PM
Multiple reports suggest hes on the trading block...i read on wolved forum for picks and an established star.

The best perimter defender the year before and last year, imo. Really good shooter and rebounder and straight driver.

Imo the 2nd best 3&D player in the league right now behind klay thompson.
DDR and Patty but the money prolly don’t make it work

slick'81
07-04-2019, 10:57 PM
Patty/belli/bertans poo poo platter

apalisoc_9
07-04-2019, 11:00 PM
Wolves looking for picks.

Id easily give patty though. That seems like a no brainer.

Patty/Belli and two second round draft picks for Robert Covington. Do it RC!

apalisoc_9
07-04-2019, 11:01 PM
White-Derozan-Covington-Aldridge-Poetl

Gay
Igballer
Forbes

Thats a decent top 8.

Chinook
07-04-2019, 11:05 PM
Obviously if you can get him with picks, you do it. You still start Carroll though. Ideally, Mills, Beli and Bertans (plus a pick or two) for Cov and Dieng improves the rotation a lot.

Gino20
07-04-2019, 11:10 PM
Covington would be great! I’m guessing it would be a combo of Mills/Marco/Bertans plus draft picks and taking back a bad contract.

Emperor
07-04-2019, 11:11 PM
Covington would be great! I’m guessing it would be a combo of Mills/Marco/Bertans plus draft picks and taking back a bad contract.

See above.

KobesAchilles
07-04-2019, 11:17 PM
Do not want. People pissed off about Demar and Patty’s playoff struggles. Well Covington makes Patty and Demar look like Steph Curry and Klay Thompson in the playoffs. The dude is a choker. Period. Check out his stats in his last playoff series and then come back to me and tell me how he will improve mentally. Dude is Roger Mason jr level bad in the playoffs.

palangi
07-04-2019, 11:22 PM
DDR, mills, and a future first rounder to Minnesota
Wiggins, Covington, and Bates-Diop

PG- Murray, white, Forbes
SG- Wiggins, Walker, belinelli, Johnson
SF- Covington, bates-diop
PF- Gay, Carroll, bertans
C - Aldridge, poeltel, metu

cjw
07-04-2019, 11:35 PM
I’m fine moving a future first in the right trade, as the young core is developing nicely and the roster is getting filled out into the future. They can afford to skip a draft year, but better attach protections to the pick in case things disintegrate. Though an unprotected pick could make gap easier to bridge.

DDR, mills, and a future first rounder to Minnesota
Wiggins, Covington, and Bates-Diop

PG- Murray, white, Forbes
SG- Wiggins, Walker, belinelli, Johnson
SF- Covington, bates-diop
PF- Gay, Carroll, bertans
C - Aldridge, poeltel, metu

No way, we’ve been over this here. Wiggins is one of the worst starters in the league at his position (counting stats look good because of high usage), so you’re not trading Demar AND a first just to get Covington. Yes, you dump the Mills deal but Wiggins’ deal is four years more vs. two for Mills.

sasaint
07-04-2019, 11:35 PM
“We like what we have.” :pop:

Big P
07-04-2019, 11:38 PM
Bertans and Beli for Covington and Okoge works on the trade checker...I like Bertans but if pop is not going utilize him like he did last year, we need to get something for him before he walks.

apalisoc_9
07-04-2019, 11:52 PM
Obviously if you can get him with picks, you do it. You still start Carroll though. Ideally, Mills, Beli and Bertans (plus a pick or two) for Cov and Dieng improves the rotation a lot.

What?

You dont bench a DPOY level caliber for carroll.

Thats just ridiculous.

Chinook
07-05-2019, 12:11 AM
What?

You dont bench a DPOY level caliber for carroll.

Thats just ridiculous.

You start them both. They don't even play the same position anymore.

apalisoc_9
07-05-2019, 12:28 AM
You start them both. They don't even play the same position anymore.

Makes sense, but Pop wont do it.

Chinook
07-05-2019, 12:40 AM
Makes sense, but Pop wont do it.

He'd come around. Pop tried to run Murray/DeRozan/Gay/Aldridge/Gasol last year. If a Covington/Carroll/Aldridge front court has the two-way potential they seem to have, they start eventually.

alpha_HaZE
07-05-2019, 12:41 AM
He might be too expensive, I 'd take Andre Iguodala thought. DeMarre and Andre we huge upgrades over Beli and Davis defensively and more importantly better players for our youngsters to learn from.

apalisoc_9
07-05-2019, 12:42 AM
He might be too expensive, I 'd take Andre Iguodala thought. DeMarre and Andre we huge upgrades over Beli and Davis defensively and more importantly better players for our youngsters to learn from.

Theyd have to give up two picks and an expiring most likely. Its still possible though. Remeber hes coming off an injury

palangi
07-05-2019, 12:48 AM
I’m fine moving a future first in the right trade, as the young core is developing nicely and the roster is getting filled out into the future. They can afford to skip a draft year, but better attach protections to the pick in case things disintegrate. Though an unprotected pick could make gap easier to bridge.

No way, we’ve been over this here. Wiggins is one of the worst starters in the league at his position (counting stats look good because of high usage), so you’re not trading Demar AND a first just to get Covington. Yes, you dump the Mills deal but Wiggins’ deal is four years more vs. two for Mills.

The thought of a more structured environment might be what Wiggins needs.

Emperor
07-05-2019, 12:54 AM
“We like what we have.” :pop:

That is exactly what Pop is probably saying over a bottle of vino at the Liberty Bar this very moment.

sasaint
07-05-2019, 01:33 AM
He'd come around. Pop tried to run Murray/DeRozan/Gay/Aldridge/Gasol last year. If a Covington/Carroll/Aldridge front court has the two-way potential they seem to have, they start eventually.

For a purely academic discussion, who would you start in the backcourt with that starting frontcourt?

Chinook
07-05-2019, 01:57 AM
For a purely academic discussion, who would you start in the backcourt with that starting frontcourt?

DeRozan and one of White or Murray. Without Mills in this scenario, there is a good chance one will need to be on the bench with Forbes, Walker, Gay and Poeltl. If Murray can shoot, he starts. If he can't, White starts.

szkorhetz
07-05-2019, 02:05 AM
White and DDR.

i initially wrote Murray, but as White is the better shooter, I would go with him, with a bench unit of Murray, Mills, Walker, Gay, Poetl.

DeRozan and one of White or Murray. Without Mills in this scenario, there is a good chance one will need to be on the bench with Forbes, Walker, Gay and Poeltl. If Murray can shoot, he starts. If he can't, White starts.

Agreed.

sasaint
07-05-2019, 02:50 AM
White and DDR.

i initially wrote Murray, but as White is the better shooter, I would go with him, with a bench unit of Murray, Mills, Walker, Gay, Poetl.

Agreed.

I am not entirely sold on either White or Dijon as the starting PG. I like things about both. White has the superior PG skills and he makes LMA better. Dijon shows flashes of alpha male leadership that I like, but he lacks the handles, passing, court vision and ability to run a half-court offense that White has shown. (I won’t go into their shooting and defensive merits.) I think I prefer to start White for a steady start to games and bring Dijon in for some juice. Being the 6th man didn’t inhibit Manu’s leadership. Hopefully Dijon could pull off the same trick. In fact, if White showed a little more moxy, I love the idea of bringing Dijon into the game as a defensive disrupter and an offensive energizer. I like pairing White and Dumbmar a little better than Dijon and Dumbmar.

szkorhetz
07-05-2019, 02:54 AM
I am not entirely sold on either White or Dijon as the starting PG. I like things about both. White has the superior PG skills and he makes LMA better. Dijon shows flashes of alpha male leadership that I like, but he lacks the handles, passing, court vision and ability to run a half-court offense that White has shown. (I won’t go into their shooting and defensive merits.) I think I prefer to start White for a steady start to games and bring Dijon in for some juice. Being the 6th man didn’t inhibit Manu’s leadership. Hopefully Dijon could pull off the same trick. In fact, if White showed a little more moxy, I love the idea of bringing Dijon into the game as a defensive disrupter and an offensive energizer. I like pairing White and Dumbmar a little better than Dijon and Dumbmar.
I am not sold on any of them either. This season will clearly show if any of them is capable of leading a team.

That's why flipping DDR for Russel makes a ton of sense for both teams, but it's not gonna happen.

sasaint
07-05-2019, 02:57 AM
I am not sold on any of them either. This season will clearly show if any of them is capable of leading a team.

That's why flipping DDR for Russel makes a ton of sense for both teams, but it's not gonna happen.

Dumbmar for who?

szkorhetz
07-05-2019, 03:06 AM
Dumbmar for who?
D'angelo Russell

sasaint
07-05-2019, 03:18 AM
D'angelo Russell

I don’t know that I am that high on Russell, and I would bet that our young guards would not react well to his acquisition. I can’t really see adding yet another young G to the team. I think that would just muddy the water. And I doubt that the Warriors would agree that acquiring Dumbmar makes perfect sense, either.

RC_Drunkford
07-05-2019, 06:10 AM
Spurs should try everything to get Covington. Bertans, Belinelli or Forbes and a first rounder or 2 seconds is a good offer. A Forward rotation of Covington, Carroll and Gay is pretty good and our defense would be at least top 5

XDT76
07-05-2019, 09:09 AM

As White is a better play maker, he should come off the bench. With DDR in the SL he will take the ball away from White reducing his effectiveness. Murray is a better Slasher and plays off the ball about better.

kobyz
07-05-2019, 09:10 AM
one of the most overrted players in the league...

szkorhetz
07-05-2019, 09:15 AM
As White is a better play maker, he should come off the bench. With DDR in the SL he will take the ball away from White reducing his effectiveness. Murray is a better Slasher and plays off the ball about better.
I think you completely mixed them...

sasaint
07-05-2019, 12:18 PM

Yes, I agree that the concern is that Dumbmar might take the ball out of White’s hands too much. But I prefer go deal with that issue in the starting lineup than having two non-three point shooters in the starting lineup. Plus, I also prefer the 6th man to be an energizing force. That is Murray not White.

DAF86
07-05-2019, 12:32 PM
Covington for Forbes, Belinelli and a draft pick. I think Wolves consider that pretty strongly, but I know PATFO is way too chickeshit to propose a trade like that.

DAF86
07-05-2019, 12:41 PM
Covington for Forbes, Belinelli and a draft pick. I think Wolves consider that pretty strongly, but I know PATFO is way too chickeshit to propose a trade like that.

Murray, DeRozan, Bertans, Covington, Aldridge

White, Mills/Walker, Carroll, Gay, Poeltl

That's a pretty solid and well balanced rotation, tbh.

DAF86
07-05-2019, 12:46 PM
Spurs should hunt this guy hard, imho.

XDT76
07-05-2019, 01:11 PM
I think you completely mixed them...

Maybe, but I get the impression that White becomes more of a spot up shooter when playing with DDR, while Murray is still able to get his points via transition and offensive rebound.

GreekSpursfan
07-05-2019, 01:14 PM
Coming of a significant injury, no thanks.

XDT76
07-05-2019, 01:22 PM
Yes, I agree that the concern is that Dumbmar might take the ball out of White’s hands too much. But I prefer go deal with that issue in the starting lineup than having two non-three point shooters in the starting lineup. Plus, I also prefer the 6th man to be an energizing force. That is Murray not White.

I just felt that with Poeltl, Gay/Carroll, Belinelli/Bertrans, Mills and Murray on the floor the offense is going to stall and with the opponent attacking Mills, Belinelli/Bertans every trip down the floor, the second team is gonna lose alot of ground for the team.

DAF86
07-05-2019, 01:54 PM
TRADE. FOR. THIS. GUY.

sasaint
07-05-2019, 02:52 PM
Spurs should hunt this guy hard, imho.

Agreed, but not a chance. We re-signed Rudy, and signed DeMarre. That’s a hyper-active off-season. We are done.

sasaint
07-05-2019, 02:57 PM
I just felt that with Poeltl, Gay/Carroll, Belinelli/Bertrans, Mills and Murray on the floor the offense is going to stall and with the opponent attacking Mills, Belinelli/Bertans every trip down the floor, the second team is gonna lose alot of ground for the team.

Like I said, I would expect Dijon to be the juice, wreaking havoc on defense and getting plenty of points in transition. Many nights the Spurs started out sluggish. Interjecting Murray would have an immediate energizing effect. I don’t think he can have that same impact in the starting lineup.

slick'81
07-05-2019, 03:00 PM
Now this would be nice but can we really pry him away from minni

TD 21
07-05-2019, 03:09 PM
I'd want to see how he recovers from his injury first. He missed a lot of time for something that was not an Achilles, ACL, etc.

If he's fine, Spurs seem like a good match. They have some appealing or at least decent enough short term, mid-sized contracts that would make sense for the Timberwolves and they can afford to give up a 1st. Some combination of a 1st, Bertans, Carroll, Belinelli, Forbes, Johnson, could all be in play.

DAF86
07-05-2019, 06:08 PM
Get this guy.

DAF86
07-05-2019, 06:08 PM
Do it PATFO.

DAF86
07-05-2019, 06:09 PM
Do it.

DesignatedT
07-06-2019, 01:44 PM
Spurs need to go after this.

kobyz
07-06-2019, 01:46 PM
Spurs need to go after this.

why and for what?

mo7888
07-06-2019, 02:03 PM
why and for what?

Because we still need a starting calibur 3D player who can guard 3's. We should try and give up something from the belli, bertans, mills group plus next years 1st.

kobyz
07-06-2019, 02:09 PM
Because we still need a starting calibur 3D player who can guard 3's. We should try and give up something from the belli, bertans, mills group plus next years 1st.

i think he's overrated and will not waste a first n him, we have Carroll who he's basiclly the same
Covington become almost unplayable in the playoff, looks at his playoff numbers:
Season Age Tm Lg Pos G GS MP FG FGA FG% 3P 3PA 3P% 2P 2PA 2P% eFG% FT FTA FT% ORB DRB TRB AST STL BLK TOV PF PTS
2017-18 27 PHI NBA SF 10 8 28.1 2.7 8.3 .325 1.5 4.8 .313 1.2 3.5 .343 .416 1.2 1.6 .750 1.2 4.1 5.3 2.5 1.1 0.9 1.1 3.0 8.1

mo7888
07-06-2019, 02:13 PM
i think he's overrated and will not waste a first n him, we have Carroll who he's basiclly the same
Covington become almost unplayable in the playoff, looks at his playoff numbers:
Season Age Tm Lg Pos G GS MP FG FGA FG% 3P 3PA 3P% 2P 2PA 2P% eFG% FT FTA FT% ORB DRB TRB AST STL BLK TOV PF PTS
2017-18 27 PHI NBA SF 10 8 28.1 2.7 8.3 .325 1.5 4.8 .313 1.2 3.5 .343 .416 1.2 1.6 .750 1.2 4.1 5.3 2.5 1.1 0.9 1.1 3.0 8.1

I like the Carroll signing but, I don't think hes in the same class as Covington. As long as the magical checks out hes a no brainer.

DAF86
07-11-2019, 06:47 PM
Get this guy. With Morris on board this guy was a luxury. Without Morris this guy is a must just to stay afloat. I don't think it's smart to put all our 3 and D hope eggs on the DeMarre Carroll basket, tbh.

mo7888
07-11-2019, 06:50 PM
To me we have to get Covington or gets Winslow out of the OKC-Miami deal.

td4mvp2k
07-11-2019, 06:58 PM
i think marvin williams is needed now tbh and if they can get him for patty or beli

Atl Spur
07-11-2019, 07:15 PM
Lol....... relax homies��. The commitment to defense is at front of patfo’s minds. Enjoy the work......

Mr. Body
07-11-2019, 07:17 PM
What sux is that before nephew the SF was a position we took effing years to fill and now that nephew nephew'd we're back to it.

ironman2886
07-12-2019, 10:31 AM
Get em.

SpursDynasty85
07-12-2019, 10:37 AM
What sux is that before nephew the SF was a position we took effing years to fill and now that nephew nephew'd we're back to it.

I guess you hate Derozan. We do have Keldon ready to play by the next year more than likely. I believe Pop will play 3 gaurds 2 forward type lineups. I.E. (Murray, White, Walker, Samanic, Metu) (White, Walker Keldon, Samanic, free agent) (Forbes, Murray, Walker, Metu, Poeltl). We are in another transition type year but we could start seeing the fruits of the G League and PATFO labor in our young guys as early as this year. Can't Wait.

RC_Drunkford
07-12-2019, 10:51 AM
we need this guy, but with Bertans gone it seems like we don't have the pieces for a trade

Mr. Body
07-12-2019, 10:53 AM
I guess you hate Derozan. We do have Keldon ready to play by the next year more than likely. I believe Pop will play 3 gaurds 2 forward type lineups. I.E. (Murray, White, Walker, Samanic, Metu) (White, Walker Keldon, Samanic, free agent) (Forbes, Murray, Walker, Metu, Poeltl). We are in another transition type year but we could start seeing the fruits of the G League and PATFO labor in our young guys as early as this year. Can't Wait.

When did I say I hated DeRozan? But he's not a strong swing 3/4 like we need. He's a 2/3 at best and not a defensive stopper or strong rebounder.

And, no, Keldon Johnson will not be ready next year.

mo7888
07-12-2019, 10:53 AM
we need this guy, but with Bertans gone it seems like we don't have the pieces for a trade

It would have to be a scenario where minny knows they cant move wiggins (which they'd prefer to do) and they decide to get off of Covington's deal and add picks. We shouldn't send young player other than bryn but we should put together a puck centric package.

SpursDynasty85
07-12-2019, 10:57 AM
When did I say I hated DeRozan? But he's not a strong swing 3/4 like we need. He's a 2/3 at best and not a defensive stopper or strong rebounder.

And, no, Keldon Johnson will not be ready next year. I get it but not all teams have the same structure. With Gay/Carroll/Samanic/Metu (PF done). We only need a SF. Derozan is more a full-time SF. He will guard SFs better than quicker gaurds imo. Plus we have way too many 1 and 2s. Derozan is our SF, period. Walker and Carroll will back him up. I don't think it's a huge hole now that we have Walker and Keldon tbh. We more need to worry about replacing LMA when he leaves now.

Big P
07-12-2019, 12:19 PM
We gave our best trade piece away for nothing, I could see minny taking Bertans, mills...not so much...besides that covingtons knees are a real concern and he would need to show that he is healthy.

ironman2886
07-12-2019, 12:28 PM
We gave our best trade piece away for nothing, I could see minny taking Bertans, mills...not so much...besides that covingtons knees are a real concern and he would need to show that he is healthy.
If his knees are a concern, Minnesota should be a little more willing to trade him then. Give up picks. I don’t care. We have enough young talent. Covington could be a key piece to this team.