PDA

View Full Version : Samanic a bust?

Hyperhypo
07-05-2019, 11:48 PM
I would have posted this draft night. This has nothing to do with his summer league play. I dislike a lot about his game. His footwork is no bueno. His energy level is not what it should be. His reaction time is slow. He appears weak minded and weak physically.

I hope I'm wrong.

Keldon Johnson seems legit

palangi
07-05-2019, 11:49 PM
He's 18

slick'81
07-05-2019, 11:50 PM
He's 18

Is his listed dob wrong?? it says he turns 20 in jan

GAustex
07-05-2019, 11:54 PM
Dude got some skills
He is not showing up yet
Time will tell
Giving up on him now is not smart

slick'81
07-05-2019, 11:56 PM
He and keldon should see much better days

Chinook
07-06-2019, 12:00 AM
He and Lonnie show how much difference that year in the NBA makes. Samanic will wreck the SL next year. All that shit that keeps getting stuff or clanking will go in.

Light
07-06-2019, 12:16 AM
He seems to drive to his left most of the time. Improving his handle going right will do wonders for his game.

Mr. Body
07-06-2019, 12:17 AM
Big things to bulk up and get better conditioned. He'll be fine.

John B
07-06-2019, 12:40 AM
The kid is athletic but yet to finesse his skills. He has a very high ceiling imo

TheGreatYacht
07-06-2019, 12:48 AM
Looking like a white Jeff Ayres out there. Can’t wait to bump this to eternity when Clarke and Little prove they were the obvious choice at 19.

Spurstalk seems to be rather lenient when it comes to white bigs. Poeltl, Splitter, Bertans, Oberto. All garbage and you toothless posters licked the ground they walk(ed) on. Shit I’ve even seen some Milutinov fluff as of late :lol

Edit: Can’t forget the time you idiots were debating hanging Bonner’s jersey up for being here a decade too long.

Prime BEEF
07-06-2019, 12:54 AM
Looking like a white Jeff Ayres out there. Can’t wait to bump this to eternity when Clarke and Little prove they were the obvious choice at 19.

Clarke definitely was a better pick. The drugs speculation on little was a red flag on him. Also think Bruno Fernando will prove to have been a better choice at 19 as well.

Play Boban
07-06-2019, 12:56 AM
I would have posted this draft night. This has nothing to do with his summer league play. I dislike a lot about his game. His footwork is no bueno. His energy level is not what it should be. His reaction time is slow. He appears weak minded and weak physically.

I hope I'm wrong.

GNSF embarrassing herself per par :wakeup

Pavlov
07-06-2019, 01:29 AM
He'll be fine. Posters ITT will pretend they knew it all along.

daslicer
07-06-2019, 02:22 AM
He's a project. It's going to take him a few years to develop.

Texas_Ranger
07-06-2019, 02:25 AM
He's 18

the other Luka was the best player in Europe at that age.

Samanic was never good. He is a project. After 2 or 3 years we will see if he will be any good.

duncan2k5
07-06-2019, 02:26 AM
He's a project. It's going to take him a few years to develop.

That's what ppl said about DeRozan's 3 point shot

poopbox
07-06-2019, 02:58 AM
Hard to judge him now...he is all raw skill and every bit of 19...needs to get A LOT stronger... I think he will be fine since he has the one thing you can't teach which is raw talent...should only be playing if their are a ton of injuries or we got like 4 guys with the night off and are playing charlotte...

smaka
07-06-2019, 02:58 AM
He's 18
He's 19,5, was an average player in sub-average league and cherry on top, inconsistent as fuck.

slick'81
07-06-2019, 03:00 AM
He's 19,5, was an average player in sub-average league and cherry on top, inconsistent as fuck.

Thank you whats with all the hes 18

smaka
07-06-2019, 03:03 AM
Thank you whats with all the hes 18
I guess people are dumb.

Atl Spur
07-06-2019, 04:09 AM
Quit being a bunch of broads! He is young enough to enhance strengths & develop weakness if he chooses; player development is what we do. Luka will be A ok......

DavidTheGoliath
07-06-2019, 04:33 AM

Spurstalk seems to be rather lenient when it comes to white bigs. Poeltl, Splitter, Bertans, Oberto. All garbage and you toothless posters licked the ground they walk(ed) on. Shit I’ve even seen some Milutinov fluff as of late :lol

Edit: Can’t forget the time you idiots were debating hanging Bonner’s jersey up for being here a decade too long.

You GM yet? No? How bout becoming one first instead of flexing in an internet message board. If you get championships, and 2 decades of winning season then you can call out everyone you would like. Till then your still nothing but a delusional poster here. Now scram.

RC_Drunkford
07-06-2019, 05:54 AM
give him 3 years. Forbes looked like trash the first 2 years as well. If Samanic becomes anything close to Kirilenko which I think he will, he's a very good pick

ceperez
07-06-2019, 06:13 AM
It's the 2nd year of Summer League that counts. If a player doesn't show improvement (see: Metu) then he likely doesn't make the cut.

K...
07-06-2019, 06:36 AM
I think he'll get to a point where his success will be guaranteed if he can get past the early hurdles of mastering a few skills , getting conditioning right, and learning the game speed. His size/speed is money in the bank.

D-Robinson 50 fan
07-06-2019, 06:36 AM
His biggest issue is he needs to get stronger. The guy has a great 1st step for a big dude and really good athleticism overall. His shot is solid and he is a solid passer also.

The Summer League games (which is everyone he has played in)I've seen he has been aggressive driving and usually beats his defender but has issues finishing due to being slight of build. I like that he has been staying aggressive and driving despite being beat up going to the hoop. He definitely needs to work on his pull up jumper and handle more offensively because he is prone to turnovers if he can't get to the hoop off his 1st step alone. His shooting overall looks good and alot of those 3 pointers he has missed was obviously due to fatigue.

Defense he does a good job defending the pick and roll. Low post defense and boxing out he has issues, once again due to being so thin. Weak side defense has been come and go but that's with most of the roster honestly. I can understand it being kinda difficult with a bunch of guys still learning each other on such short notice

Overall he has talent to work with and can be a really good player if he works hard and listens to the coaching staff. I like him better than Keldon so far but not as much as Weatherspoon.

Harry Callahan
07-06-2019, 06:43 AM
I don't think George Hill or Derrick White played all that great in their summer league stints. Let's let the Spurs development folks do what they do.

Lonnie Walker looks like a completely different player this year with the time and effort he and the coaching/training staff have put in.

timtonymanu
07-06-2019, 06:46 AM
People should know better than to count out a draft pick before he evens steps on the court. Some of you faggots were quick to count out White and Lonnie but they both have developed nicely.

spursparker9
07-06-2019, 06:48 AM
Nephew destroy the Summer League in his 1st game after having 1 full NBA season under his belt and Pop removed him from the Summer League team that year

picnroll
07-06-2019, 07:19 AM
That's what ppl said about DeRozan's 3 point shot

Shouldn’t you be heading over to the Clips‘ board chasing your boy?

Hyperhypo
07-06-2019, 02:08 PM
I believe in the Spurs but all those players you guys mentoned like White and Forbes had something for the NBA, Luka looks like a good rec center player at best. I HOPE I am wrong. Spurs fan for life here

Hyperhypo
07-06-2019, 02:11 PM
He has like 3 moves and telegraphs them before he goes for it. That's not going to work in the NBA and I have yet to see someone just get rid of that habit

Pavlov
07-06-2019, 02:13 PM
Right, I've never seen a 19 year old learn anything new for his basketball game.

In the history of basketball.

D-Robinson 50 fan
07-06-2019, 02:16 PM
Right, I've never seen a 19 year old learn anything new for his basketball game.

In the history of basketball.

:lmao

The guy just turned 19 in January and they are already saying he can't improve.

OldMan88
07-06-2019, 02:27 PM
Spurs should lock him in the weight room and not let him out until he’s put on 20#’s of muscle.

tonight...you
07-06-2019, 02:29 PM
Super Bust that can't dance to Super Bass.
Wait... he was a break dancer...
nvm

BackHome
07-06-2019, 03:08 PM
Yep just call him "Vanilla Ice".....serious though the kid is only 19 he is a project which means he is going to take time same thing for Walker and our other first rounder..

tonight...you
07-06-2019, 03:11 PM
This kid has skills. Natural skills.
He's going to be very good by year 3.

Raven
07-06-2019, 03:17 PM
i'm very suspicious of any slavic player that i have never heard of.

spurraider21
07-06-2019, 03:17 PM
give him 3 years. Forbes looked like trash the first 2 years as well. If Samanic becomes anything close to Kirilenko which I think he will, he's a very good pick
i think thats racist imho

slick'81
07-06-2019, 03:26 PM
Bust? No but long term project..yes

r0drig0lac
07-06-2019, 03:38 PM
i think thats racist imho

Samanic turning into Kirilenko (mostly on the defensive side) is impossible

Russ
07-06-2019, 04:07 PM
Samanic's bust potential is nowhere near Zion Williamson's -- the rumblings are already out there . . .

Hyperhypo
07-06-2019, 05:11 PM
Trust me, he's the new Jack Haley

Thomas82
07-06-2019, 06:07 PM
Clarke definitely was a better pick. The drugs speculation on little was a red flag on him. Also think Bruno Fernando will prove to have been a better choice at 19 as well.

I was hoping for Nicolas Claxton at 19 or 29 myself. I would have been cool with Bruno too.

Play Boban
07-06-2019, 07:20 PM
the other Luka was the best player in Europe at that age.

Samanic was never good. He is a project. After 2 or 3 years we will see if he will be any good.
:lmao

If this Luka was a good as Doncic, he wouldn’t have been available at 19. Common sense, bruh. All these players have flaws.

spurraider21
07-06-2019, 07:26 PM
if he's a project that will require 3 years of development to contribute in the nba then he had no business being picked #19 imo

Mr. Body
07-06-2019, 07:28 PM
if he's a project that will require 3 years of development to contribute in the nba then he had no business being picked #19 imo

You should look up Kawhi's progress his first three years.

RD2191
07-06-2019, 07:28 PM

Tbh

slick'81
07-06-2019, 07:29 PM

Thats why alot of peeps thought it was a reach

Play Boban
07-06-2019, 07:41 PM
A lot of players picked at 19 don’t even make it in the nba. People have ridiculous expectations of the draft tbh.

spurraider21
07-06-2019, 07:44 PM
A lot of players picked at 19 don’t even make it in the nba. People have ridiculous expectations of the draft tbh.
its true that anybody can bust. but if you draft him expecting multiple years of development before even cracking the rotation, thats a player best served for the late 1st or second round...

GAustex
07-06-2019, 07:45 PM
His handles indicate he has talent
He needs to dead eye when open from three and work on his getting to the basket and finishing
And finally owning his space under the boards

K...
07-06-2019, 08:26 PM
its true that anybody can bust. but if you draft him expecting multiple years of development before even cracking the rotation, thats a player best served for the late 1st or second round...

so it just depends if you call 19 late draft or not. But a big man who can move is more rare enough to make this worth it. Of all the first round draftees 3 years to competence is probably the norm, excpet some teams suck and press guys into service. Also, you know big men peak at like 26-28 so luka can can come along a bit slow. Obv the spurs and the agent have some idea of his value. The spurs aren't going to pick another leonard.

Hyperhypo
07-08-2019, 01:26 PM
Could be the new Livio Jean Charles

Keepin' it real
07-08-2019, 01:30 PM

I guess it's all over.

Keepin' it real
07-08-2019, 01:35 PM
Nephew destroy the Summer League in his 1st game after having 1 full NBA season under his belt and Pop removed him from the Summer League team that year

In my opinion, that was the beginning of the end. Leanord wanted to dominate summer league but domineering Pop wouldn't allow it. Yada yada yada now Leanord's a Clipper.

Chucho
07-08-2019, 02:43 PM
Samanic's bust potential is nowhere near Zion Williamson's -- the rumblings are already out there . . .

I think that if Davis felt the same way about Zion's potential the way the media and asslickers who "know basketball" felt, he might have stayed, tbh. He's a fat fuck whose best comparison is Tractor Traylor or Oliver Miller, he'll out-fat them and split more jerseys then they did.

SpursDynasty85
07-08-2019, 02:48 PM
I think that if Davis felt the same way about Zion's potential the way the media and asslickers who "know basketball" felt, he might have stayed, tbh. He's a fat fuck whose best comparison is Tractor Traylor or Oliver Miller, he'll out-fat them and split more jerseys then they did.

LOL if you think Zion will not be an all-star.

Gordy58
07-08-2019, 02:49 PM
Could be the new Livio Jean Charles
Lmao LJC never showed even half of Luka has shown thus far.

Chucho
07-08-2019, 02:51 PM
LOL if you think Zion will not be an all-star.

LOL because you think he will be. Probably said the same about Okafor, Bennett and the other massive busts from the past 5 years alone.

Gordy58
07-08-2019, 02:53 PM

I hope I'm wrong.

so you haven’t seen him switch on every player he comes across? Just the fact that he’s comfortable taking the ball to the hole at 6’11 in a pinch using a very quick first step for a big man?

Hes made great reads on defense so far. I think he has a ton of potential. Give him a year in Austin/the weight room/ working with chip.

smaka
07-08-2019, 02:54 PM
i'm very suspicious of any slavic player that i have never heard of.

Do you live under a rock?

Blackhaus
07-08-2019, 02:58 PM

lol, can’t be serious

tesseractive
07-08-2019, 03:07 PM
We'll probably see bursts after the first year, but it might take longer for him to develop into someone who has everything he needs to be a rotation player. But even if it's a full three years before he can contribute, it still all hinges on what his ceiling is. If he's a meh player, 19 was definitely too soon. If he has All Star potential, who cares if it took a while?

Big Empty
07-08-2019, 03:10 PM
Just pretend we drafted Keldon at 19 and Luka at 29. Go in ur bathroom, turn the lights off and stare into the mirror while u repeat this 3 times. Ull come out feeling great about the potential of our 29th pick Luka.

lmbebo
07-08-2019, 03:22 PM
one of the worst takes ever ....

RJ Barret shot like 7 of 33 so far, bust as well? Its *summer* league ....

DPG21920
07-08-2019, 03:26 PM
Who knows at this point? Nothing we’ve seen would or should change anything about him yet. He absolutely has bust potential which everyone said to begin with but it’s way too early to tell and his bright spots that you hope to see have shown up just as much as his flaws.

BillMc
07-08-2019, 03:28 PM
If OP is always this premature, his girlfriend's life is hell.

Marcus Bryant
07-08-2019, 03:30 PM
:lol Spurs fans worrying about lower half of 1st round picks 'busting'. Spoiled MFers.

illusioNtEk
07-08-2019, 03:51 PM
Can we wait till spurs staff at least train him? Omg calm down

r0drig0lac
07-08-2019, 03:54 PM

pff

itzsoweezee
07-08-2019, 04:10 PM
His biggest issue is he needs to get stronger. The guy has a great 1st step for a big dude and really good athleticism overall. His shot is solid and he is a solid passer also.

The Summer League games (which is everyone he has played in)I've seen he has been aggressive driving and usually beats his defender but has issues finishing due to being slight of build. I like that he has been staying aggressive and driving despite being beat up going to the hoop. He definitely needs to work on his pull up jumper and handle more offensively because he is prone to turnovers if he can't get to the hoop off his 1st step alone. His shooting overall looks good and alot of those 3 pointers he has missed was obviously due to fatigue.

Defense he does a good job defending the pick and roll. Low post defense and boxing out he has issues, once again due to being so thin. Weak side defense has been come and go but that's with most of the roster honestly. I can understand it being kinda difficult with a bunch of guys still learning each other on such short notice

Overall he has talent to work with and can be a really good player if he works hard and listens to the coaching staff. I like him better than Keldon so far but not as much as Weatherspoon.

Great points. Also, for a guy that's almost 7 feet tall, he doesn't really take advantage of his size.

I still think he was picked way too high.

BD24
07-08-2019, 04:15 PM
He should be fine. I think at worst he’s a good backup 4. I personally wanted little, but will trust Patfos judgement. You. Can see the tools are there. It’s just gonna be how well he puts it all together

ceperez
07-08-2019, 04:34 PM
Great points. Also, for a guy that's almost 7 feet tall, he doesn't really take advantage of his size.

Lonnie Walker IV was picked higher #18. We still don't know if he's serviceable in a real NBA game. So there's no way you can credibly make that statement at this time.

Arcadian
07-08-2019, 04:34 PM
Quit being a bunch of broads!

:lol What is this, the 1930s?

Spurtacular
07-08-2019, 05:59 PM
I would have posted this draft night.

I did post this on draft night, bruh.

https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=280048&p=9847851#post9847851

Spurtacular
07-08-2019, 06:01 PM
Dude got some skills
He is not showing up yet
Time will tell
Giving up on him now is not smart

It was a dumb pick, tbh. PATFO buying the hype that he's the smartest guy in the room.

TheDoctor
07-08-2019, 06:15 PM
Looking like a white Jeff Ayres out there.

https://www.gigantes.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/JeffAyresweb.jpg

HankChinaski
07-08-2019, 06:25 PM
I like the pick personally. But he definitely needs a lot of seasoning. I am interested to see how he adjusts to the game State side as well as if he puts in the work with the developmental staff. He has the tools physically he needs to fill out his body more which isn't a stretch to accomplish considering his age. See where he is at by next summer.

Hyperhypo
07-08-2019, 06:25 PM
I did post this on draft night, bruh.

https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=280048&p=9847851#post9847851

Dang man we were thinking the same thing. Livio Charles 2.0

Play Boban
07-08-2019, 06:48 PM
Lonnie Walker IV was picked higher #18. We still don't know if he's serviceable in a real NBA game. So there's no way you can credibly make that statement at this time.
The average IQ on this forum is something around 60 tbh.

palangi
07-08-2019, 07:03 PM
The average IQ on this forum is something around 60 tbh.

This board is turning into a clown fest

itzsoweezee
07-08-2019, 07:16 PM

How good he ultimately becomes has zero input on whether he was picked too high. The only variable relevant to where he was picked in the draft was his demand among other teams. Spurs could have gotten him at a lower pick

Trueblood
07-08-2019, 07:22 PM
This board is turning into a clown fest

I was actually just admiring how they've been cleaning up the dumb threads better than in the past. Now if they could only do the same to the dumb post. But that would be a full time job...

spurraider21
07-08-2019, 07:23 PM
its far too early to call him a bust, but i'm comfortable calling him an overdraft at this point. lets see how he plays in the G-League this year

K...
07-08-2019, 07:28 PM
John Charles - raw athletics no skill became a less athletic no skill after injury
Ayres - a 25 yr old big man who lacked the skills/finesse to play nba
Milutov - skilled prime big, too slow to play
Like - skilled athletic big, some character flaws.

At 19 it's reasonable to think he'll add weight/strength. Average big men become serviceable around 25 yrs old, the pool of bigs is smaller than that of guards so the comparison in draft value is bad. Big men with guard skills is the modern trend. He could bust, but it will be a mental issue. There's no way he will fail for lack of skill, he's already skilled enough to be 4rth big. Waiting will be worth it.

GreekSpursfan
07-08-2019, 07:35 PM
Even if op eventually is right, this thread is one of the worst ever in the history of the known universe.

Spurtacular
07-08-2019, 08:15 PM

Seen enough from him to know he's a serviceable NBA player. Whether he's a serviceable Spurs player is another question, tbh.

D-Robinson 50 fan
07-08-2019, 08:59 PM

Because he needs to get stronger. Lmao. If you're tall and weak with a mediocre wing span going against stronger players is going to negate your height advantage. Especially if the players you are playing against have played against athletes you've never had to deal with on a regular basis. He has been getting pushed around easily so far in these games but he still stays aggressive offensively.

Defensively in the paint his intensity comes and goes, which isn't good but it is also most likely due to being to weak.

Give the guy time to get stronger and get used to the NBA athletes and I think he will be solid NBA player at worse

jbspurs
07-08-2019, 09:20 PM
I believe in the Spurs but all those players you guys mentoned like White and Forbes had something for the NBA, Luka looks like a good rec center player at best. I HOPE I am wrong. Spurs fan for life here

6'10", 19 years old with handles, crossover move, quick first step, can shoot 3's, post up move. A rec center player at best? All he needs to do is get stronger and he will be a very good NBA player.

HankChinaski
07-08-2019, 09:38 PM
I will agree with some of the points against luka to the point that they are the flaws that are going to hold him back in being successful.

Primarily mental issues in how he reacts to his play in-game followed by his body/muscle mass. The latter can be managed if he follows the developmental staffs instructions and suggestions. The head issues well that is going to be all about if a switch in his head finally gets flicked and nobody really knows about when or if that happens.

He is in the right environment where he can develop at his own pace.

Play Boban
07-08-2019, 11:03 PM
I was actually just admiring how they've been cleaning up the dumb threads better than in the past. Now if they could only do the same to the dumb post. But that would be a full time job...
They’d have to delete the majority of posts on here tbh.......at least mine would be safe.

Legacy
07-09-2019, 06:05 AM
Even if op eventually is right, this thread is one of the worst ever in the history of the known universe.

duncan2k5
07-09-2019, 06:08 AM
The problem is that he is a SF, and we are trying to make him a PF... same issue Bertans had... He is used to shooting over and posting up smaller players... So he will require a big time adjustment period to get used to banging down low... I do think he should be used as a SF though... Go big... He will never adjust to guarding SF if all he does is guard slow, big men...

poopbox
07-09-2019, 06:42 AM
Shows flashes of being really good and at 19 that is all you want to see...

Needs to get a lot bigger and stronger...has broad shoulders so I expect him to...unlike Bertans who has the shoulders of a child and was never going to get much stronger than when he came in the league...

Luka will be really good and is the perfect player to play with DJ, Derrick, and Lonnie...

LaMarcus Bryant
07-09-2019, 09:23 AM
He's finished.