PDA

View Full Version : Vindication For The Spurs? What Kawhi Leonard's Signing With The Clippers Means For San Antonio

timvp
07-06-2019, 03:28 AM
https://www.spurstalk.com/spurs-vindicated-kawhi-leonard-signs-clippers/

The news of Kawhi Leonard signing with the Clippers doesn't help the Spurs on the court -- or make their trade with the Raptors look better -- but it helps make the entire situation make more sense.

Legacy
07-06-2019, 03:33 AM
Certain Spur fans will continue to be in denial, tbh.

Homepage lookin good, though. :toast

daslicer
07-06-2019, 03:36 AM
For those who didn't read Timvp's article the most interesting tidbits:
1. In the summer of '14 the Spurs were worried that he wanted to be in LA due to the influences around him.
2. Spurs were even worried in the summer of '15 that #2 wouldn't even resign with the Spurs for the max.

RD2191
07-06-2019, 03:39 AM
Meh, I don't buy it. PATFO fucked up with his injury and their lack of aggressiveness in surrounding him with talent. That's my take anyway. Thanks for the write up.

Pavlov
07-06-2019, 03:41 AM
Meh, I don't buy it. PATFO fucked up with his injury and their lack of aggressiveness in surrounding him with talent. That's my take anyway. Thanks for the write up.We have the team that did everything you think the Spurs should've done in the Raptors.

They got nothing for him.

slick'81
07-06-2019, 03:41 AM
Was the max offered before the trade demand? Did someone in the fo call him a pussie? Was the pau and mills signings a sign of regression? Did uncle want a fo position?

Pavlov
07-06-2019, 03:42 AM
Was the max offered before the trade demand? Did someone in the fo call him a pussie? Was the pau and mills signings a sign of regression? Did uncle want a fo position?What does it matter now?

He's where he always wanted to be.

BatManu20
07-06-2019, 03:43 AM
Kawhi was always LA-bound. At one point or another. Was never going to be a Spur-lifer.

SpursBig3s
07-06-2019, 03:48 AM
Fuck kawhi. What a faggot

Ice009
07-06-2019, 03:57 AM
I posted this in another thread, and I may be wrong, but this has been my take on it in quotes copy and pasted from the other thread.

"I too, (while being incensed with anger) said that after the Spurs re-signed Patty Mills and Pau Gasol, that if I was Kawhi, I'd ask for a trade to the Lakers as that is nowhere near good enough talent to waste that money on. Looking back at it, I still think that the Spurs pissing away that money on scrub players and not trying to retain Dedmon and Simmons (who Kawhi apparently liked), plus the injury thing, I think the combination of that put Kawhi off the Spurs. If they had not signed those two guys to that amount of money, and gotten him whatever players he wanted and whatever he perceived as a more competitive team (even if he thought that was Dedmon and Simmons over Patty and Pau, and even if the Spurs disagreed, they still should have done it to appease him), I think he may not have started to consider leaving. I could be wrong, but I do agree with your stance as it's pretty similar to mine."

I don't know if he was looking to leave before then like Timvp says, but yeah, I do think the Spurs could have done a little bit more to try and keep him, but if he truly did want to go home before 2017, I'm much happier (still not that happy) that he chose the Clippers. I also didn't realize that they were the San Diego Clippers, so that makes even more sense that he went with a team that was more truly his home team.

I also wonder if it's true that he didn't like the Lakers when he was growing up? I recall reading that he was an Iverson fan (so was I back them up until about 2003 when he kind started being really selfish), and Melo fan (explains the cornrows), and that he wasn't a huge fan of the Lakers. I didn't know if he just said that because he's on the Spurs at the time or not, so that was making me think if he really wanted to sign with the Lakers over the Clippers the past few days, or if it was simply just because Lebron was there and if he would have chosen the Lakers over the Clippers if Lebron wasn't there. Also, at least he has the balls to go against these guys rather than team up with them.

dbreiden83080
07-06-2019, 04:02 AM
Meh, I don't buy it. PATFO fucked up with his injury and their lack of aggressiveness in surrounding him with talent. That's my take anyway. Thanks for the write up.

Now how does that make sense? His last season with us we were in the conference finals and up big in game one when he got a cheap shot with the ankle injury. If he stayed healthy we might have been in the finals that year. So no that does not make any sense. We had a great team.

kobyz
07-06-2019, 04:03 AM
If spurs would have kept him, build around him an LOB mentality team while offering the supermax he would have choose to stay

daslicer
07-06-2019, 04:05 AM
I posted this in another thread, and I may be wrong, but this has been my take on it in quotes copy and pasted from the other thread.

"I too, (while being incensed with anger) said that after the Spurs re-signed Patty Mills and Pau Gasol, that if I was Kawhi, I'd ask for a trade to the Lakers as that is nowhere near good enough talent to waste that money on. Looking back at it, I still think that the Spurs pissing away that money on scrub players and not trying to retain Dedmon and Simmons (who Kawhi apparently liked), plus the injury thing, I think the combination of that put Kawhi off the Spurs. If they had not signed those two guys to that amount of money, and gotten him whatever players he wanted and whatever he perceived as a more competitive team (even if he thought that was Dedmon and Simmons over Patty and Pau, and even if the Spurs disagreed, they still should have done it to appease him), I think he may not have started to consider leaving. I could be wrong, but I do agree with your stance as it's pretty similar to mine."

I don't know if he was looking to leave before then like Timvp says, but yeah, I do think the Spurs could have done a little bit more to try and keep him, but if he truly did want to go home before 2017, I'm much happier (still not that happy) that he chose the Clippers. I also didn't realize that they were the San Diego Clippers, so that makes even more sense that he went with a team that was more truly his home team.

I also wonder if it's true that he didn't like the Lakers when he was growing up? I recall reading that he was an Iverson fan (so was I back them up until about 2003 when he kind started being really selfish), and Melo fan (explains the cornrows), and that he wasn't a huge fan of the Lakers. I didn't know if he just said that because he's on the Spurs at the time or not, so that was making me think if he really wanted to sign with the Lakers over the Clippers the past few days, or if it was simply just because Lebron was there and if he would have chosen the Lakers over the Clippers if Lebron wasn't there. Also, at least he has the balls to go against these guys rather than team up with them.

Mills and Gasol were crap signings but the Spurs were still contenders if #2 played. I'm tired of hearing this bs narrative of the supporting caste being weak. Spurs had LMA who has been a top 5 bigman in the NBA for the last few years. They had multiple perimeter defenders in Green,Murray,Kyle Anderson. I still believe the Rudy Gay addition was an upgrade over Simmons depth wise. Manu was still a good sixth man off the bench.

kobyz
07-06-2019, 04:07 AM
Mills and Gasol were crap signings but the Spurs were still contenders if #2 played. I'm tired of hearing this bs narrative of the supporting caste being weak. Spurs had LMA who has been a top 5 bigman in the NBA for the last few years. They had multiple perimeter defenders in Green,Murray,Kyle Anderson. I still believe the Rudy Gay addition was an upgrade over Simmons depth wise. Manu was still a good sixth man off the bench.

lol, spurs wasn't serious enough about competing and that why kawhi left

daslicer
07-06-2019, 04:08 AM
lol, spurs wasn't serious enough about competing and that why kawhi left

Nah he left because he wanted to be in LA.

Chillen
07-06-2019, 04:10 AM
It eases the sting left by the whole process for the Spurs, Raps still traded DeMar and Jakob for an NBA title basically but it was short lived as Kawhi's a Clipper now. Raptors won a title but Spurs still have the players they traded for.

RVSTX
07-06-2019, 04:12 AM
WHEN ZAZA HAPPENED HE MISSED ALMOST THE NEXT 7 MONTHS FROM MAY 15 2017 TO DEC 12 2017, THEN HE PLAYED THE NEXT 16 GAMES OFF AND ON, THEN HE NEVER PLAYED AGAIN FROM JAN 14 2018 UNTIL OPENING NIGHT FOR THE RAPTORS...OCT 17 2018...LAST GAME FOR SPURS HE WENT 19-8-4-4 IN 28 MINUTES...THE GUY LITERALLY DIDNT PLAY FOR ABOUT 13 MONTHS, AND HIS NUMBERS FOR HIS LAST SPURS GAME WERE ALRIGHT CONSIDERING "HE WAS HURT"....HE JUST DIDNT WANT TO PLAY FOR SA ANYMORE AND WANTED TO GO HOME...HE GOT BUTTHURT AND RAN HOME...PERSONALLY, ILL NEVER ROOT FOR THE GUY...SPURS FOR LIFE!!!

Pavlov
07-06-2019, 04:14 AM
lol, spurs wasn't serious enough about competing and that why kawhi leftWhy did he leave Toronto?

Ice009
07-06-2019, 04:21 AM

It doesn't matter what you or I think, I'm coming at it from the perspective of what I think Kawhi thought. If Kawhi thought those signings were terrible, and if he truly didn't think that the FO office was doing enough to surround him with a competitive team, then that could have played a big part in him wanting to leave. Maybe he really did like Dedmon and Simmons a lot, and then when the Spurs let them go, that may have pissed him off. It doesn't matter what you and I thought about those decisions, it matters what Kawhi thought, or if he perceived it as a competitive team. If the Spurs didn't bother asking him, or do as he wanted, then it's their fault they lost him. That is, if he didn't want out before then.

venitian navigator
07-06-2019, 04:22 AM
Yes-
Vindication against the Lakers that used all their media influence (ther's some neeed of anti trust television policy in that regard) and probably made "China tampering".
Vindication about the Raptor's behavior that wanted a legitimate chance at a title (that they effectively gained) and nontheless not only forced us to get what, in their wiew, was just their disgruntled and unwanted star, the last valuable of their bigs and an iperprotected pick...but forced us too in giving them Green and plus on paying them an extra 5 millions...

The vindication against n° 2 was to send him to a place he didn't want to go to and so doing let the world know how they dilliked him and his group and what kind of garbage behavior he and his group had...but now ther's some vindication in the fact that his choice confirm that the narrative of his group was in part false and unbeliavable and in part a fabrication...while two organizations like Spurs and Raptors made everything in their power to appease the will of n° 2 and their group.

So, in more than one sense, I also frankly think that our organization has re-gained a lot of media credibility...expecially in the behavior about injuries (where we've always been considered extra cautious before the n° 2 drama) in front of other supposed "advanced" teams...

monty4329
07-06-2019, 04:23 AM
It eases the sting left by the whole process for the Spurs, Raps still traded DeMar and Jakob for an NBA title basically but it was short lived as Kawhi's a Clipper now. Raptors won a title but Spurs still have the players they traded for.

SA has DDR. TOR has a ring. OKC has 5 1st picks. Not exactly a win for the Spurs...

RD2191
07-06-2019, 04:24 AM
It doesn't matter what you or I think, I'm coming at it from the perspective of what I think Kawhi thought. If Kawhi thought those signings were terrible and if he truly didn't think that the FO office was doing enough to surround him with a competitive team, then that could have played a big part in him wanting to leave. Maybe he really did like Dedmon and Simmons a lot, and then when the Spurs let them go, that may have pissed him off. It doesn't matter what you and I thought about those decisions, it matters what Kawhi thought or if he perceived it as a competitive team. If the Spurs didn't bother asking him, or do as he wanted, then it's their fault they lost him. That is, if he didn't want out before then.

:tu great post

Atl Spur
07-06-2019, 04:28 AM
Patfo are classy as hell; they knew what this situation had become and never went in like they could have!! They are the best for so many reasons......... San Antonio was offered trash for Kawhi from the Clippers because they knew he was coming there anyway; both organizations decided to play the long game! We excel at the the long game fellas; LBJ/magic is sick!!!

Ice009
07-06-2019, 04:34 AM
SA has DDR. TOR has a ring. OKC has 5 1st picks. Not exactly a win for the Spurs...

Yep. Looking at that list, the Spurs didn't even come freaking close to getting a win out of it. The only good thing for us Spurs fans is he didn't go to the Lakers. That makes us feel better as fans, but that really has nothing to do with the Spurs getting any kind of win out of the trade. Not even a small win IMO.

Before the trigger was pulled on the Demar trade, if you told me the Clippers were offering their two first round draft picks from last season's draft plus Tobias Harris, I would have taken that over Demar any day of the week.

I'm not a fan of Demar at all. If he could actually shoot the 3 ball, even just a little bit, I'd be more at ease with him, but during the season it frustrated me so much seeing him take less three pointers than he took the in prior couple of seasons where he started upping his 3 point volume, it was just so frustrating to watch because it killed the spacing and offense.

I'm also surprised that Chip didn't try and rework that shot of his. I said throughout the season, it looks like that shot is working for him at mid-range distance, but anything further out, the accuracy with his shooting style goes down the toilet big time. The accuracy with his shooting form is piss poor the further out he goes. As a shooter, IMO, he'll never be a great shooter outside of mid-range with his current shooting form (it works for him a couple of steps inside the arc, but he really does throw up some bricks past the free throw line and beyond the three point line with it). I could be wrong and Chip may be able to tweak it a touch, but those are my thoughts on his current shooting form.

slick'81
07-06-2019, 04:36 AM
Yep. Looking at that list, the Spurs didn't even come freaking close to getting a win out of it. The only good thing for us Spurs fans is he didn't go to the Lakers. That makes us feel better as fans, but that really has nothing to do with the Spurs getting any kind of win out of the trade. Not even a small win IMO.

Before the trigger was pulled on the Demar trade, if you told me the Clippers were offering their two first round draft picks from last season's draft plus Tobias Harris, I would have taken that over Demar any day of the week.

I'm not a fan of Demar at all. If he could actually shoot the 3 ball, even just a little bit, I'd be more at ease with him, but during the season it frustrated me so much seeing him take even less three pointers that he's taken in prior seasons. I'm also surprised that Chip didn't try and rework that shot of his. I said throughout the season, it looks like that shot is working for him at mid-range distance, but anything further out, the accuracy with his shooting style goes down the toilet big time. The accuracy on his shooting form is piss poor the further out he goes. As a shooter, IMO, he'll never be a great shooter outside of mid-range with his current shooting form. I could be wrong and Chip may be able to tweak it a touch, but those are my thoughts on his current shooting form.

Agreed.im not pissed kawhi left im upset with the package we bent over and recieved

kobyz
07-06-2019, 04:38 AM
Why did he leave Toronto?

Clippers won that pitch with the Paul George trade

kobyz
07-06-2019, 04:40 AM
lol spurs never willing to give up young assets to improve team, no surprise that lead to losing kawhi

Legacy
07-06-2019, 04:41 AM
Why did he leave Toronto?

Yep. #2 just wants his cake and wants to eat it, too. Don't get why that's so hard to comprehend.

Marcus Bryant
07-06-2019, 04:43 AM
Fuck that guy.

Legacy
07-06-2019, 04:48 AM
Clippers won that pitch with the Paul George trade

He was never going to stay in Toronto, dude.

Kawhi - "just enjoy this moment..."

Legacy
07-06-2019, 04:52 AM
aMD6Qadx7E8

... Not very subtle.

Hoops Czar
07-06-2019, 04:58 AM

Wrong!! Spurs have Poeltl and don't you forget it.

slick'81
07-06-2019, 05:01 AM
Wrong!! Spurs have Poeltl and don't you forget it.

poodle fckn power! Tbh

Marcus Bryant
07-06-2019, 05:02 AM
Spurs were trading a one year rental of Leonard, not effectively George and Leonard for the next 4 seasons.

Marcus Bryant
07-06-2019, 05:12 AM
If the Spurs had Leonard under a long term deal then they could’ve gotten a large pick haul.

Marcus Bryant
07-06-2019, 05:17 AM
Maybe in hindsight the Spurs should’ve asked for, say, an unprotected 1st in 2021 from Toronto.

Marcus Bryant
07-06-2019, 05:21 AM
And fuck that bitch between holding out and saying LA or bust he had destroyed his trade value.

JADG79
07-06-2019, 05:38 AM
Spurs are the bigger losers here.

Pelicans got Ball, Ingram, Hart and multiples picks.
OKC got Danilo, Shai and 4 picks
Spurs got Poeltl, DeRozan and 1 lonely pick

Spurs make possible Leonard for free in LA not taking assets from any LA and allowing them to trade for a Star.(

Worst decision ever.

Harry Callahan
07-06-2019, 05:56 AM

Paul George was under contract for 4 more years as is Leonard with the signing. Leonard would be gone from SA anyway no compensation.

The Spurs aged and did not have the ability to win the title last year even with the malcontent Nephew. It was a no win situation with Leonard because he was leaving San Antonio come hell or high water. Along the way he spit in the face of the Spurs and the Raptors. Both LA teams will only be able to bring in below average talent going forward. The Lakers only young talent that is not declining is Davis. Many of the top Clipper players are over 30 years old with George, Lou Williams, the point guard that was in Houston.

In the next four years, I would not be shocked if SA has better roster than all of these teams.

San Antonio tried to salvage something from the situation. In the end, the Clippers will have to lean on two players with questionable long term health issues. The Clippers just gave up their best young point guard to OKC along with all the picks. They paid dearly to acquire the two LA prima donnas. Both are damaged goods right now. The Lakers are a joke and the Davis trade just confirmed this. The Raptors just fell off the cliff.

Marcus Bryant
07-06-2019, 05:59 AM
Paul George was under contract for 4 more years as is Leonard with the signing. Leonard would be gone from SA anyway no compensation.

The Spurs aged and did not have the ability to win the title last year even with the malcontent Nephew. It was a no win situation with Leonard because he was leaving San Antonio come hell or high water. Along the way he spit in the face of the Spurs and the Raptors. Both LA teams will only be able to bring in below average talent going forward. The Lakers only young talent that is not declining is Davis. Many of the top Clipper players are over 30 years old with George, Lou Williams, the point guard that was in Houston.

In the next four years, I would not be shocked if SA has better roster than all of these teams.

San Antonio tried to salvage something from the situation. In the end, the Clippers will have to lean on two players with questionable long term health issues. The Clippers just gave up their best young point guard to OKC along with all the picks. They paid dearly to acquire the two LA prima donnas. Both are damaged goods right now. The Lakers are a joke and the Davis trade just confirmed this. The Raptors just fell off the cliff.

The Spurs could have a better roster in the next few years than any of these teams.

:tu

Harry Callahan
07-06-2019, 06:01 AM
Spurs are the bigger losers here.

Pelicans got Ball, Ingram, Hart and multiples picks.
OKC got Danilo, Shai and 4 picks
Spurs got Poeltl, DeRozan and 1 lonely pick

Spurs make possible Leonard for free in LA not taking assets from any LA and allowing them to trade for a Star.(

Worst decision ever.

Next time try grasping English a bit more. The Spurs were never offered crap for Leonard because he sabotaged his own trade value. No team trusted #2 last year and a good trade could not be had because of his physical situation and undermining of his own trade value. These trades you are praising are a year after the fact. If KY had not been an azzhat, the Spurs would have received more compensation. HE sowed the seeds of discontent and wanted to damage the Spurs as he pouted out the door.

cjw
07-06-2019, 06:10 AM
Presti is the real genius here, turning Serge Ibaka into five first rounders, two pick swaps, and Gallinari and SGA. Got a year of Oladipo/Sabonis and a couple out of PG13 too.

Paul George was under contract for 4 more years as is Leonard with the signing. Leonard would be gone from SA anyway no compensation

You forgot to mention that Leonard was “hurt” and basically missed an entire season before the trade. George was/is also hurt but played through it.

It doesn't matter what you or I think, I'm coming at it from the perspective of what I think Kawhi thought. If Kawhi thought those signings were terrible, and if he truly didn't think that the FO office was doing enough to surround him with a competitive team, then that could have played a big part in him wanting to leave. Maybe he really did like Dedmon and Simmons a lot, and then when the Spurs let them go, that may have pissed him off. It doesn't matter what you and I thought about those decisions, it matters what Kawhi thought, or if he perceived it as a competitive team. If the Spurs didn't bother asking him, or do as he wanted, then it's their fault they lost him. That is, if he didn't want out before then.

Paul George agreed to sign back up with Russ and Steven Adams. Give me Patty and Gasol at much lower numbers every time.

Dejounte
07-06-2019, 06:16 AM
Lmao at all the trolls in this thread

We didnt get ripped off from the trade. We got a championship out of Kawhi just like Toronto did. He was always leaving.

Truth4sale$
07-06-2019, 06:25 AM
Kawhi wanted to be home. That's all. Accept it. Move on.

K...
07-06-2019, 06:27 AM
So was the earth quake an omen? Is.God pleased.or angered?

timvp
07-06-2019, 06:28 AM
So was the earth quake an omen? Is.God pleased.or angered?

Probably laughing at the Lakers like the rest of us, tbh.

timvp
07-06-2019, 06:35 AM
Spurs were trading a one year rental of Leonard, not effectively George and Leonard for the next 4 seasons.

Exactly. The Spurs had no leverage. Kawhi's camp was telling anyone who'd listen that he only wanted to go to Los Angeles. They weren't lying.

It sucked but those were the cards that were dealt.

Despite the bad hand, the current situation could be a lot worse. A group of promising young players and a group of older players on short-term contracts. The recovery could be swift, tbh.

Harry Callahan
07-06-2019, 06:36 AM
I truly think the Spurs tried to work with the Duece, but LJ Ellis indicates there were "issues" with Leonard FIVE years ago. People conveniently forget that SA asked KL to wait a year to get a max contract in the summer of 2014 so the Spurs could sign a top level free agent. As it turned out, the Spurs signed THE BEST available FA in L Aldridge. And yet people say the Spurs never sign top level FAs. They did that year AND maxed out Nephew - they had carefully planned that situation out. SA won 67 games and then couldn't get past OKC because #2 couldn't make Andre Robertson pay to guard him often enough. Leonard didn't step up against the Clippers the prior year. Then #2 could not stay on the court in 2017 to finish the job. Things did not come together the last few years and the GSW were actually healthy in those years, which trumped everything else.

r0drig0lac
07-06-2019, 06:40 AM

agree

Harry Callahan
07-06-2019, 06:41 AM
For those praising the Thunder with all those picks, just remember. Those picks are mostly Clipper and 76er assets. I don't think those picks will be all that great unless something weird happens.

rascal
07-06-2019, 06:42 AM
The Spurs waited too long to trade KL. He should have been traded before draft night for those two firsts and Harris from the Clippers or even earlier than that offer before his value tanked.

timtonymanu
07-06-2019, 06:42 AM
Exactly. The Spurs had no leverage. Kawhi's camp was telling anyone who'd listen that he only wanted to go to Los Angeles. They weren't lying.

Despite the bad hand, the current situation could be a lot worse. A group of promising young players and a group of older players on short-term contracts. The recovery could be swift, tbh.

Yep other teams losing franchise players would have been on the lottery rebuild now. Spurs still made the playoffs last year and with the improvement of Murray, White and Walker and additions of Luka, KJ, Quinndary, Spurs can bounce back pretty quickly. As we saw with the lakers, they can’t even get good production out of their lottery picks and have to use them in a trade to get a superstar back. The Spurs way >>>> Lakers and begging every star player to play for them only to lose out on everyone minus LeBron.

baseline bum
07-06-2019, 06:58 AM
Vindication for Tony and Manu too who saw through that autist faggot's bullshit and knew he was just holding out to get sent to LA.

Marcus Bryant
07-06-2019, 06:59 AM
Vindication for Tony and Manu too who saw through that autist fautggot's bullshit and knew he was just holding out to get sent to LA.

:tu :tu :tu

Marcus Bryant
07-06-2019, 07:02 AM
The Spurs waited too long to trade KL. He should have been traded before draft night for those two firsts and Harris from the Clippers or even earlier than that offer before his value tanked.

So instead the Spurs end up with a star, a big, and a pick. Your point?

Spurs da champs
07-06-2019, 07:05 AM
So instead the Spurs end up with a star, a big, and a pick. Your point?

"Star"? :lmao

TimDunkem
07-06-2019, 07:12 AM
Lol DD a star...

picnroll
07-06-2019, 07:14 AM
lol spurs never willing to give up young assets to improve team, no surprise that lead to losing kawhi

I guess once a kwitter dick sucker always a kwitter dick sucker. No matter the means or outcome kobyz willing to bend over, find a narrative and take it for his boy.

Chillen
07-06-2019, 07:15 AM
Lol DD a star...

Toronto would love to have him back now I am sure.

He's a great player just had an ok season for Spurs in his first season in SA. He can definitely be better and prove all the naysayers wrong.

baseline bum
07-06-2019, 07:31 AM
Toronto would love to have him back now I am sure.

He's a great player just had an ok season for Spurs in his first season in SA. He can definitely be better and prove all the naysayers wrong.

I doubt it. They sent him out because they were about to blow up the team and took the chance they could re-sign Leonard because they didn't want DeRozan anyways.

Ice009
07-06-2019, 07:31 AM

So why not deal with the Clippers and try to get a haul from them? If the Clippers didn't bite, talk to the Lakers and play them off against each other to outbid the other for Kawhi. Scare them into thinking they're going to lose out to the other LA team if you don't make a move now. They both thought they could just wait until the off-season and sign him outright, but if you were willing to deal him to LA, then you could have closed that option down for one of those teams. I don't know if the Spurs did that or tried doing that?

IMO, they should have went in looking to trade him to the Clippers, but if the Clippers weren't offering enough, see what the Lakers had to offer, but don't trade with the Lakers unless they gave an insane offer. I still think the Spurs messed up. I didn't even want to trade him at all if the package wasn't good enough. I would have waited until the trade deadline or even just let him walk at the end of the season if all the offers were garbage.

If the Clippers offered both last year's draft picks and Tobias Harris, would you have taken that over Derozan and Poetl? I would have if I had the choice between those two options.

sananspursfan21
07-06-2019, 07:36 AM
“The most lopsided trade in NBA history” :lol

Let’s put that to rest shall we? Kawhi had us by the nutsack, at least we got a temporary #1 guy on offense, a young big who could be pretty good and Keldon Johnson out of all this. Spurs would have been high and dry this year instead.

Dejounte
07-06-2019, 07:38 AM
So why not deal with the Clippers and try to get a haul from them? If the Clippers didn't bite, talk to the Lakers and play them off against each other to outbid the other for Kawhi. Scare them into thinking they're going to lose out to the other LA team if you don't make a move now. They both thought they could just wait until the off-season and sign him outright, but if you were willing to deal him to LA, then you could have closed that option down for one of those teams. I don't know if the Spurs did that or tried doing that?

IMO, they should have went in looking to trade him to the Clippers, but if the Clippers weren't offering enough, see what the Lakers had to offer, but don't trade with the Lakers unless they gave an insane offer. I still think the Spurs messed up. I didn't even want to trade him at all if the package wasn't good enough. I would have waited until the trade deadline or even just let him walk at the end of the season if all the offers were garbage.

If the Clippers offered both last year's draft picks and Tobias Harris, would you have taken that over Derozan and Poetl? I would have if I had the choice between those two options.

Holy shit, get over it dude. You think too much about what ifs. What ifs that arent even a major improvement than what they got. Tobias is garbage. Didnt shine with other players on the Sixers. Who cares about more picks when the Spurs got who they wanted.

playbonner15
07-06-2019, 07:46 AM
Vindication is if Spurs can win a championship with DD...

baseline bum
07-06-2019, 07:47 AM

Let’s put that to rest shall we? Kawhi had us by the nutsack, at least we got a temporary #1 guy on offense, a young big who could be pretty good and Keldon Johnson out of all this. Spurs would have been high and dry this year instead.

I would have still rather just kept Leonard and suspended him for the season.

Ice009
07-06-2019, 07:47 AM
I just don't like Derozan, so I would have preferred picks over him and Tobias Harris on a one season tryout would have been OK too.

I'm not even that mad as for the first time in 20 or so years, I didn't follow every Spurs game as that is how little I cared about the situation and also watching Derozan (my interest in the season went down the toilet when Murray and Walker got injured). I missed quite a few games, which hasn't happened since around 1996 or so. I did start watching when Derrick White came back, though. That was one of the bright spots of the season. Hopefully he can improve and get even better this upcoming season. I also hope he is a lot more consistent in the playoffs.

Hoops Czar
07-06-2019, 07:51 AM
Vindication would have been if Kawhi would have said he wanted to team up with DeRozan in LA.

Ice009
07-06-2019, 07:53 AM
You can't come up here after the fact and say that about 2014 when this didn't come out during the "hold out" the Trade to Toronto or during this whole "will he or won't he Kawhi to LA, La or, TOR. Dude if you had this "info" ya should have said something before now.

No different than this

Yes, exactly. None of us knew that he wanted out before last season, so people can't use that stance IMO. That's why I prefer my stance, which was the Spurs doing everything they can to not give him a reason to leave. That is the bottom line IMO. Can you say the Spurs did everything they can? I don't think you can, so we will never know if he would have still left. If it played out that way and he left (the Spurs giving him everything he wanted and asked for), then you can all shit all over him, and at least the media would have probably backed us up if it played out that way.

Also, I think the Spurs did try trading for PG when he was available, didn't they? I recall reading that here, but either we didn't have the assets and/or the Pacers didn't want to deal with us. I also recall reading the PG didn't mind playing for the Spurs if he was traded here instead of OKC.

Hoops Czar
07-06-2019, 07:56 AM
You can't come up here after the fact and say that about 2014 when this didn't come out during the "hold out" the Trade to Toronto or during this whole "will he or won't he Kawhi to LA, La or, TOR. Dude if you had this "info" ya should have said something before now.

No different than this
Spurs had a chance to trade for PG but did nothing. Oh, I know the Spurs supposedly couldn't match OKC's trade package but with the way Spurs fans rave about their youth and depth like it was some of the best ever, you would they could have.

itzsoweezee
07-06-2019, 08:01 AM
It means kawhi is singlehandedly breaking the spurs playoffs streak. The Spurs are fucked next season

Russ
07-06-2019, 08:02 AM
This proves that a team can do everything right and Kawhi will still leave -- repeat after me, it's not your fault [Toronto].

All the media reporting the Spurs drove Kawhi away (because they didn't handle him correctly like Toronto) need to turn in their klaws.

In fact, Kawhi may be the only player to win finals MVP with two different teams and not have his jersey retired by either one. Think about that.

(Heck, Kawhi may end up being one of the few sure-fire Hall-of-Famers not to have his jersey retired by any NBA team.)

Marcus Bryant
07-06-2019, 08:03 AM
This proves that a team can do everything right and Kawhi will still leave -- repeat after me, it's not your fault [Toronto].

All the media reporting the Spurs drove Kawhi away (because they didn't handle him correctly like Toronto) need to turn in their klaws.

In fact, Kawhi may be the only player to win finals MVP with two different teams and not have his jersey retired by either one. Think about that.

(Heck, Kawhi may end up being one of the few sure-fire Hall-of-Famers not to have his jersey retired by any NBA team.)

Hoops Czar
07-06-2019, 08:07 AM

Toronto dumped DeRozan's contract and won an NBA championship which was their main goals. Keeping Kawhi Leonard beyond this year would have just been icing on top of the cake.

Collins21
07-06-2019, 08:08 AM
Exactly, He wanted "partners" after Lamarcus MELTED against OKC with Duncan on the Team Leonard KNEW it wasn't him. He tried to recruit KD, and he lobbies for PG13, which proves he wanted QUALITY TALENT, not "characters" to be running with him. His rejecting a broken down LBJ and a never done shit AD also points to this.

A glorified cheerleader in Patty Mills and the WORSE Gasol is what PATFO thought he wanted.
Fuck me.

I guess there was an outside possibility they floated LMA for PG back then, and this leads to the whole Pop and LMA summit thing.

Kawhi choked just as hard as LA in that Thunder series.

Ice009
07-06-2019, 08:17 AM

How do you know the Spurs did everything right? Re-signing Mills and Gasol is not doing everything right. I agree with a lot of what you said, but those were retarded signings, and if I was Kawhi, you can bet your ass I would have taken exception to it and been all over the front office if they didn't ask me about it beforehand. Do you guys think Kawhi signed off on those signings 100%?

BackHome
07-06-2019, 08:18 AM

Dejounte
07-06-2019, 08:19 AM
How do you know the Spurs did everything right? Re-signing Mills and Gasol is not doing everything right. I agree with a lot of what you said, but those were retarded signings, and if I was Kawhi, you can bet your ass I would have taken exception to it and been all over the front office if they didn't ask me about it beforehand. Do you guys think Kawhi signed off on those signings 100%?

Kawhi is a player. Not a front office player. He needs to stay in his lane. Kawhi isnt bigger than the organization. Have some pride. You expect this front office to bend over. Youre bitch made just like Kawhi.

Marcus Bryant
07-06-2019, 08:21 AM
Kawhi choked just as hard as LA in that Thunder series.

Legacy
07-06-2019, 08:22 AM
Kawhi is a player. Not a front office player. He needs to stay in his lane. Kawhi isnt bigger than the organization. Have some pride. You expect this front office to bend over. Youre bitch made just like Kawhi.

tbdog
07-06-2019, 08:23 AM
If only Spurs 'knew' after Zaza happened. The guy was the best player in the playoffs. I am sure the Spurs get what they want within reason from either LA team. But a year of hiding and on an expiring contract, meant the value was very low. And I was totally against Harris and those useless picks. I still am holding out the Spurs will do more this off season or by trade deadline. We have expiring contracts, we got youth prospects. We need a 2 for 1.

Ice009
07-06-2019, 08:26 AM

That's how the NBA works these days, and that would be my attitude. If you want to end up looking like a bitch, then do what the Spurs did, because IMO they don't look so good right now stuck with Derozan when the guy you tried to trade to an NBA Siberia out of the country just won them their first Championship, still left to go to where he wanted to go, and also teamed up with another star player.

offset formation
07-06-2019, 08:26 AM
If spurs would have kept him, build around him an LOB mentality team while offering the supermax he would have choose to stay

It must be awesome to go through life like a mumbling idiot. .

I choose to take facts into my world and let it inform my views. But keep up with the Simple Jack character

DPG21920
07-06-2019, 08:28 AM
While the Lakers stuff had me legit nervous (it still would have proven LA was the city) and while there was a ton of noise, Kawhi to the Clippers proved everything. All the Kawhi defenders have zero legs to stand on. But Kawhi won’t get any crap from the media since they won a title and he didn’t go to Lakers. They played it beautifully.

Kawhi is a power broker; who would have ever guessed

pgardn
07-06-2019, 08:37 AM
The West just got wilder.

JADG79
07-06-2019, 08:41 AM
The Spurs were vindicated without multiples picks.

Marcus Bryant
07-06-2019, 08:42 AM
If only Spurs 'knew' after Zaza happened. The guy was the best player in the playoffs. I am sure the Spurs get what they want within reason from either LA team. But a year of hiding and on an expiring contract, meant the value was very low. And I was totally against Harris and those useless picks. I still am holding out the Spurs will do more this off season or by trade deadline. We have expiring contracts, we got youth prospects. We need a 2 for 1.

The summer isn't over.

Hoops Czar
07-06-2019, 08:47 AM
The West just got wilder.

Yes, But the EPL is still on lockdown.

Harry Callahan
07-06-2019, 08:48 AM

One of those "great" picks for the Clippers from last year has already been traded to OKC for Paul George. Tobias Harris ain't that great.

HarlemHeat37
07-06-2019, 08:53 AM
Definitely vindicates the Spurs, he was always going to LA..it's a relief that he didn't stay with the Raptors, would have been a bad look..

It's funny that Kawhi has become a power broker just like LeBron, but also has quitting on a team on his resume, yet is loved by the media:lol a product of being a Black man who doesn't dare speak on social issues and just shuts up and dribbles..

J_Paco
07-06-2019, 08:56 AM

All this is still just what YOU think, so "it doesn't matter" (in your own words). Leonard never wanted to stay in San Antonio long - term, period.

Instead of waiting until his next opportunity in free agency, Quitter/his "group" decide to create chaos, excuses and harm the Spurs reputation to leave earlier.

Nothing more or less.

All your "they wasted money on blah, blah (which all NBA teams do)" made no difference at all.

Ninja Roach
07-06-2019, 09:02 AM

Nah, he'll be a God in Toronto despite this.

tbdog
07-06-2019, 09:04 AM
One of those "great" picks for the Clippers from last year has already been traded to OKC for Paul George. Tobias Harris ain't that great.

You have to consider that the Paul George trade was also for Leonard. So Clippers over buying for George meant that got Leonard. That Gilgeous-Alexander guy seems like a good player and should have a good career. But the odds of him being better than DD is against him but possible. I still think the Spurs got the best offer considering their options. Paying Harris would be a disaster. I really don't like him. Magic fans know that. Same as Pistons and Clippers know that, and Sixer fans are starting to know it too.

Marcus Bryant
07-06-2019, 09:06 AM
Nah, he'll be a God in Toronto despite this.

Because Canadians.

pgardn
07-06-2019, 09:08 AM
Yes, But the EPL is still on lockdown.

Cant argue that.

J_Paco
07-06-2019, 09:10 AM
Exactly, He wanted "partners" after Lamarcus MELTED against OKC with Duncan on the Team Leonard KNEW it wasn't him. He tried to recruit KD, and he lobbies for PG13, which proves he wanted QUALITY TALENT, not "characters" to be running with him. His rejecting a broken down LBJ and a never done shit AD also points to this.

A glorified cheerleader in Patty Mills and the WORSE Gasol is what PATFO thought he wanted.
Fuck me.

I guess there was an outside possibility they floated LMA for PG back then, and this leads to the whole Pop and LMA summit thing.

Why is so difficult for some of you idiots to get "it." Quitter never wanted to stay in SA and it didn't matter who you surround him with.

He NEVER WANTED TO BE IN SAN ANTONIO.

offset formation
07-06-2019, 09:21 AM

Couldn't have said it better. And he isnt the only one. Just on this page there are 3, including Drew Show.

I swear, there are some just miserable people on this site. Imagine coming on this board as a supposed Spurs fan to dog the shit out of the spurs for neph leaving this team in a shitty, shitty position and having his representatives trash PATFO, its players and the city. And still wasting your Sat morning acting like you're really a fan...lmao

TDMVPDPOY
07-06-2019, 09:24 AM
all i can say is, kawhi open his mouth and gotten himself pg

i wonder why he never open his mouth when he sign his extension, also around the same time front office gave enrique an extension, fkn mills and gasol contracts...

Marcus Bryant
07-06-2019, 09:25 AM
all i can say is, kawhi open his mouth and gotten himself pg

i wonder why he never open his mouth when he sign his extension, also around the same time front office gave enrique an extension, fkn mills and gasol contracts...

Probably because you are retarded.

palangi
07-06-2019, 09:36 AM
What hurts us is our subculture (coffee club) inside the team. It is led by a guy who has no business being a leader on a team. It does create division. And when you leave out the superstar that gets around. Pop and his bullshit love affair with mills needs to end.

heyheymymy
07-06-2019, 09:40 AM
Really just makes it seem like he was a piece of shit who couldnt get over himself and wanted to play in la all along and manufactured a conflict to create a favorable narrative for his exit and the problem with that is the spurs dont deserve that. It is unprofessional.

Good riddance then. I dont care how talented you are, if you cant get over yourself you are not spurs material.

John B
07-06-2019, 09:41 AM
Agree. This signing to Clippers, despite ringing with Toronto, throw a light on who really was Kawhi or his representation, but a conniving, self-serving son of a bitch without loyalty, who manipulated everything to get himself shipped to LA. The Holts should really consider filing a complaint for breach of contract, and try to recover the 20 mil plus penalty. The load management shit was just a cover-up.

BillMc
07-06-2019, 09:43 AM
Spurs were never going to keep KL. Things could have been different on both sides, but the divorce was inevitable.

I wish we'd gotten more in the trade after seeing what NO got for AD, and OKC got for George, but demand and situation dictated the market. Unfortunately, last year the market was deflated because of KL's public position and the fact that neither the Clippers nor Lakers were as desperate as they would later become.

KL's agenda and some bad luck really hurt the Spurs. But it was happenstance not really an error on the Spurs' part.

pad300
07-06-2019, 09:50 AM
I wish we'd gotten more in the trade after seeing what NO got for AD, and OKC got for George, but demand and situation dictated the market. Unfortunately, last year the market was deflated because of KL's public position and the fact that neither the Clippers nor Lakers were as desperate as they would later become.

... But it was happenstance not really an error on the Spurs' part.

With regard to value:

Kwitter X 4 years + Paul George X 3 years >> AD X 1 year > Kwitter X 1 year (after trashing his value with a medical holdout and a promise to leave anywhere but LA)

Yeah, the Spurs did what they could with the hand they were dealt, but it was an ugly hand.

south side spur
07-06-2019, 10:06 AM
Exactly, He wanted "partners" after Lamarcus MELTED against OKC with Duncan on the Team Leonard KNEW it wasn't him.

How would he know that when he melted as well? Kawhi cowered to KD. 29% 3fg%? 23 ppg? LA melted and still averaged more points on a better fg%. Kawhi and LA had the same usage but Kawhi had almost double the TOV%.

LA, Ginobili even fucking Danny had higher TS% than Kawhi so you’re right LA melted but Kawhi was right there getting emasculated with him. This wasn’t 2017-current Kawhi. This was the same Kawhi who disappeared in 2015.

Game 2 in San Antonio a 1 point loss and Kawhi has 14 points? No excuses. I don’t want to hear about LA being the focal point.

Game 6 a close out game and he has a TS% of .444?

Legacy
07-06-2019, 10:07 AM
:cry "Swear, I knew it along..." :cry

kNxzdnZVIp0

Spurs da champs
07-06-2019, 10:09 AM
DeRozan sucks that is all.

tmtcsc
07-06-2019, 11:05 AM
Did someone in the fo call him a pussie?

I hope to God Tim Duncan called nephew a pussy to his face. That asshole didn't man-up and try to play against GS in the WCF when ZAZA stepped under him. That never sat well with me. Didn't even try. <Insert Buddy Revell Gif>

Gibbz
07-06-2019, 11:06 AM
The Spurs are absolutely exonerated here--clearly no amount of excessive babying could have kept The Disaster Autist in San Antonio.

Russ
07-06-2019, 11:18 AM
So Kawhi could have received a $220 million contract from the Spurs or $190 million from Toronto but instead signed for $142 million with the Clips.

One question I've never heard a definitive answer to -- did the Spurs ever offer the Supermax ($220 million) to Kawhi to induce him to stay?

I've heard yes and I've heard no. Does anyone actually know?

K...
07-06-2019, 11:25 AM
OKC owes the spurs at least one of the good draft picks. SILVER! fix that shit.

Dex
07-06-2019, 11:34 AM
For those praising the Thunder with all those picks, just remember. Those picks are mostly Clipper and 76er assets. I don't think those picks will be all that great unless something weird happens.

That's what people said when Ainge took all of those Nets picks, and look how quickly they fell off the cliff.

Yes, the situation is different with the Clips...Kawhi and PG aren't the aging corpses of KG and Pierce. But stranger things have happened.

If nothing else, it gives them a lot of trading chips...but I still think the Thunder pretty much pressed the reset button in the short-term with this move.

dbreiden83080
07-06-2019, 11:35 AM
He was always leaving, and that is what it is. Media tried to turn this into our fault he left. The word coming out of SA was NOT he wanted to leave over an injury. It was that he wanted to be in LA. Yeah so we are validated 100%. This was always going to be the result..

Dex
07-06-2019, 11:38 AM
Also, instead of Kawhi, Lakers get an aging Danny Green and :lol Quinn Cook :lol

I'll consider that justice, tbh. Pop was determined not to let Kawhi go to Lakers, and in some ass-backwards way....it worked.

ZeusWillJudge
07-06-2019, 11:38 AM
Kawhi has been gone for two years. I'm over that, but I'm enjoying the aftermath. The thing I really wanted was for Kawhi to hold out and fuck over everyone - and I got everything I hoped for.

So what could make it even better? My new Fantasy Island wish is for Pop to announce - today - that the team is waiving Metu and signing Zaza Pachulia. Can you just imagine the meltdowns from Autist, and Uncle, and just a shitload of other people? :lol

Do it Pop!

phxspurfan
07-06-2019, 11:40 AM
It's funny that Kawhi has become a power broker just like LeBron, but also has quitting on a team on his resume, yet is loved by the media:lol a product of being a Black man who doesn't dare speak on social issues and just shuts up and dribbles..

You might be on to something there

Dex
07-06-2019, 11:41 AM
Kawhi has been gone for two years. I'm over that, but I'm enjoying the aftermath. The thing I really wanted was for Kawhi to hold out and fuck over everyone - and I got everything I hoped for.

So what could make it even better? My new Fantasy Island wish is for Pop to announce - today - that the team is waiving Metu and signing Zaza Pachulia. Can you just imagine the meltdowns from Autist, and Uncle, and just a shitload of other people? :lol

Do it Pop!

Fuck Zaza, tbh.

tenbeersbold
07-06-2019, 11:42 AM
Eh,the mutes silence just covers up his assholer-y
He shouldn't have gotten the 14 Finals MVP,shoulda gone to Duncan who deserved it more anyway

The fact he made no friends and that no one on the team said they knew much about him was a dead giveaway that he's a snake
After Duncan left he failed and before Duncan left he flamed out vs Matt F'n Barnes in the PO's

Dude is a loser
He barely beat the Dubs minus Klay and Durant...wow just about any PO team in the West would have done that
His leg is a ticking time bomb,Spurs got out from under a dishonest malcontent who's injury prone
Spurs legacy has been built on high character/high skills players.
Sadly Kawhai fell far short in the character department

I'm glad Patfo disposed of him in the quickest manner they could
He isn't worthy of consideration or regret

Patfo dumped him like the immature bitch he is

Chucho
07-06-2019, 11:43 AM
Yes, we had so many options while being strong armed.

God damn, so many dick riders and wrist slitters. I'd hate to see how many of yall deal with real life.

ZeusWillJudge
07-06-2019, 11:44 AM
Fuck Zaza, tbh.

I don't give a shit about Zaza, and I don't want him here. I just like to picture the reaction if Pop immediately said that he's signing the guy who took Kawhi out.

It would be better than the time he did the Hack-A-Shaq 3 seconds into a new season.

Maddog
07-06-2019, 11:52 AM

Look what Toronto got for him ..

BillMc
07-06-2019, 12:02 PM
Look what Toronto got for him ..

Will be interesting to see if the Raptors retire his jersey since he brought them their only title.

It's like calling your one night stand your "wife".

Spurs Homer
07-06-2019, 12:08 PM
He shouldn't have gotten the 14 Finals MVP,shoulda gone to Duncan who deserved it more anyway

The fact he made no friends and that no one on the team said they knew much about him was a dead giveaway that he's a snake
After Duncan left he failed and before Duncan left he flamed out vs Matt F'n Barnes in the PO's

Dude is a loser
He barely beat the Dubs minus Klay and Durant...wow just about any PO team in the West would have done that
His leg is a ticking time bomb,Spurs got out from under a dishonest malcontent who's injury prone

nailed it

Marcus Bryant
07-06-2019, 12:11 PM

Dude is a loser

tmtcsc
07-06-2019, 12:15 PM

Dude is a loser

https://media.giphy.com/media/tODygE8KCqBzy/giphy.gif

Prime BEEF
07-06-2019, 12:55 PM
Will be interesting to see if the Raptors retire his jersey since he brought them their only title.

Bravo. This was funny as hell

Capt Bringdown
07-06-2019, 01:21 PM
I don't buy it, KL went to the Clippers because it was the best choice going forward, and not simply because he wanted to be in LA. Toronto has too much uncertainty in their roster & Leonard didn't want to be LBJ's towel boy.

LOL, "vindication." Apparently for some, Pop/Spurs can never fail, they can only be failed.

RD2191
07-06-2019, 01:22 PM
I don't buy it, KL went to the Clippers because it was the best choice going forward, and not simply because he wanted to be in LA. Toronto has too much uncertainty in their roster & Leonard didn't want to be LBJ's towel boy.

LOL, "vindication." Apparently for some, Pop/Spurs can never fail, they can only be failed.

Truth bomb tbh

Dejounte
07-06-2019, 01:24 PM

Best choice going forward? Wtf? Lol yeah leaving a team you just won a championship with is not the best choice. What world do you live in?

Pavlov
07-06-2019, 01:28 PM
:lol the only roster uncertainty in Toronto was Kawhi himself.

Legacy
07-06-2019, 01:31 PM
God damn, so many dick riders and wrist slitters. I'd hate to see how many of yall deal with real life.

LOL! Right. Just imagine if Kiwi had gone to the Lakers instead. I'm ready for another long break from this forum, myself. Nothin but a bunch of crybabies, spoiled brats & energy suckers/Vampires. Like attracts Like indeed -- No wonder they're so damn in love with #2. YEESH!!

Dr. John R. Brinkley
07-06-2019, 01:32 PM

Yep!

Capt Bringdown
07-06-2019, 01:40 PM

We'll see if Gasol, Lowry & Ibaka (who are going to be free agents after next year) can rise to the occasion with Siakum, as they did with Leonard this year.
Yep, they're rock-solid, all right.

Pavlov
07-06-2019, 01:45 PM
We'll see if Gasol, Lowry & Ibaka (who are going to be free agents after next year) can rise to the occasion with Siakum, as they did with Leonard this year.
Yep, they're rock-solid, all right.Gee, you're saying the Raptors might be worse without Kawhi?

Bold.

Marcus Bryant
07-06-2019, 01:49 PM

baseline bum
07-06-2019, 01:51 PM
His leg is a ticking time bomb

I don't believe that for a second. That pos was holding out from the Spurs to force a trade.

ginobilized
07-06-2019, 01:55 PM
Such an interesting scenario, I did not see it going down like this.
It does shed a realistic light on Kawhi’s desire to go to LA, and gives the Spurs some slight vindication.
It also sheds light on Kawhi’s desire to win and assemble a contending team. This doesn’t flatter the Spurs.
Gasol/Mills might be mostly what drove Kawhi away. Either way, Spurs were not holding on to him.

Legacy
07-06-2019, 01:56 PM

Correct!

KimmyGib
07-06-2019, 02:00 PM
A lot of posters upset the Spurs didn't bend over backwards to appease him, only for him to inevitably do what he did to Toronto.

Marcus Bryant
07-06-2019, 02:01 PM
I don't believe that for a second. That pos was holding out from the Spurs to force a trade.

So he could get a deal with....New Balance.

ZeusWillJudge
07-06-2019, 02:02 PM
Apparently for some, Pop/Spurs can never fail, they can only be failed.

Apparently, you don't like puppies.

That's just a stupid, self-serving conclusion. PATFO fucked up giving Patty that contract. PATFO fucked up giving Pau that second big contract. PATFO couldn't do anything about Kawhi deciding he wanted to be in LA. Work that into your theory.

Capt Bringdown
07-06-2019, 02:07 PM
PATFO couldn't do anything about Kawhi deciding he wanted to be in LA.

Wow, talk about projection. If this self-serving thesis gives you comfort, all the best.
I'm not buying it.

Pavlov
07-06-2019, 02:12 PM
Wow, talk about projection. If this self-serving thesis gives you comfort, all the best.
I'm not buying it.You don't have to, but you have to make up your own self-serving thesis in the face of the fact that he went to LA after winning a championship with a franchise that did nothing wrong.

spurs10
07-06-2019, 02:13 PM
Well it means he can be booed for two nights in SA instead of one for starters. He might want to stay close to the hotel in TO as well. He forced a trade with us after all the money we paid for his rehab and then the Spurs sent him to the best team in the East. It was not a 'we'll show you move' as some fantasists have pretended, but a classy move which was very helpful to the Raptors.

The fact that getting to CA was the plan all along is obvious to everyone now. The way he and his uncle did that upset a lot of NBA fans. Add leaving TO after winning a championship and I'd say his PR guru uncle must of overslept in 'PR class' a few times. It's over and has little bearing on us anymore.

monty4329
07-06-2019, 02:17 PM

Look, I am not saying Spurs could do more. Nephew had PATFO by the balls and at the time I thought the Raptors trade was pretty good, after all. Only, in a few months the market changed and apparently everybody and his brother is offering multiple 1st picks as if there is no tomorrow (starting HOU for Butler). Hindsight is 20-20 but I am not paid to trade players, but it seems to me now that probably the picks were available last summer too.

The fact that Pop didn't want to send n.2 to a West conf team maybe wasn't that great an idea (assuming the offers were there -LAL was for sure according to Magic)

Sure, Clips took a risk, I mentioned on another comment it reminds me of the Nets trade.

Still, TOR has a ring, OKC 5 1st, LAC has Leonard + George...We have DDR

Capt Bringdown
07-06-2019, 02:25 PM
The fact that Leonard waited to consider his options, instead of immediately declaring his choice to go to LA, vitiates the OP's thesis.
Leonard to LA was not inevitable.
To say that Spurs are vindicated is self-serving.
I hope the Spurs can learn from this experience.

Dejounte
07-06-2019, 02:28 PM
Gee, you're saying the Raptors might be worse without Kawhi?

Bold.

Lmao. Capt bringdon is dumb as hell

Pavlov
07-06-2019, 02:28 PM
The fact that Leonard waited to consider his optionsHe only waited for the Clippers to meet his demands.

Legacy
07-06-2019, 02:31 PM
:lol Buying a brand new house in SoCal 5 months before this trade
:lol One and done in Canada

j-fdLngxgwo

ZeusWillJudge
07-06-2019, 02:33 PM
He only waited for the Clippers to meet his demands.

Oh, come on. The fact that LAC and OKC finalized the deal for Paul George at the same time was just coincidence. LAC was his best option, and the Paul George trade just made it better. When you do things the right way, like Autist and Uncle, things just seem to work out. :lol

tonight...you
07-06-2019, 02:37 PM
Truth bomb tbh
You wouldn't know the truth if it beat you like your boyfriend.

tbh...

monty4329
07-06-2019, 02:39 PM

But by far the best sex you ever had and will ever have (TOR will never even smell the Finals again)

Capt Bringdown
07-06-2019, 02:49 PM
(TOR will never even smell the Finals again)

Toronto likely wouldn't have reached the Finals next year, even with Leonard. This year's finals was Lowry's last hurrah. And likely Gasol's and Ibaka's too. Not to mention that at the end of next year, those guys are free agents.
So, Leonard made a power play to a more stable long-term situation, with pieces locked in better.

tonight...you
07-06-2019, 02:54 PM
Toronto likely wouldn't have reached the Finals next year, even with Leonard. This year's finals was Lowry's last hurrah. And likely Gasol's and Ibaka's too. Not to mention that at the end of next year, those guys are free agents.
So, Leonard made a power play to a more stable long-term situation, with pieces locked in better.
I wouldn't call KL and PG's injury histories as stable...
But, whatever. We'll all go on. I'm just happy there's no out and out Super Team next year and the season could actually become interesting.

RD2191
07-06-2019, 03:37 PM
You wouldn't know the truth if it beat you like your boyfriend.

tbh...

You leave your father out of this. Wait what?

tonight...you
07-06-2019, 03:49 PM
:lol

tonight...you
07-06-2019, 03:50 PM
#ChickenStrips still the coolest cat here.

DAF86
07-06-2019, 04:03 PM
Fuck Kawhi.

TD 21
07-06-2019, 04:25 PM
Sure, but they'll never live the trade down. No matter the circumstances, it was and remains embarrassing, especially when you see the bounty for Davis and George.

J_Paco
07-06-2019, 04:51 PM
Sure, but they'll never live the trade down. No matter the circumstances, it was and remains embarrassing, especially when you see the bounty for Davis and George.

Sure, because context and situation don't matter at all. Where is the 'eye roll' emoji?

TD 21
07-06-2019, 05:32 PM
Sure, because context and situation don't matter at all. Where is the 'eye roll' emoji?

I didn't say that. I clearly meant, despite that, the gap in the packages is too astronomical to explain away solely to context and situation, especially when Scumbag is regarded as the best of the 3 (I'd say it's a coin flip with Davis, but that's not the consensus at the moment).

J_Paco
07-06-2019, 05:59 PM
I didn't say that. I clearly meant, despite that, the gap in the packages is too astronomical to explain away solely to context and situation, especially when Scumbag is regarded as the best of the 3 (I'd say it's a coin flip with Davis, but that's not the consensus at the moment).

Agreed, but desperation (on the part of both Los Angeles teams) and Leonard sinking his value (giving the Spurs literally no leverage) played a big part in the supposed "worst trade ever."

slick'81
07-06-2019, 06:34 PM
Agreed, but desperation (on the part of both Los Angeles teams) and Leonard sinking his value (giving the Spurs literally no leverage) played a big part in the supposed "worst trade ever."

it was a bad trade pac but its def time to move on

Maddog
07-06-2019, 06:38 PM

And how close they were to not making the finals

EricB
07-07-2019, 01:05 AM

BZZZ false.

EricB
07-07-2019, 01:06 AM

Nope. Summer of 2017 was the beginning of the end. You could’ve brought in dream team 92, and he wouldn’t have stayed.

EricB
07-07-2019, 01:09 AM
Vindication for Tony and Manu too who saw through that autist faggot's bullshit and knew he was just holding out to get sent to LA.

Rudy Gay as well. His interviews about it were always classy but you could always tell he had to choose his words carefully.

EricB
07-07-2019, 01:13 AM
I hope to God Tim Duncan called nephew a pussy to his face. That asshole didn't man-up and try to play against GS in the WCF when ZAZA stepped under him. That never sat well with me. Didn't even try. <Insert Buddy Revell Gif>

Nah Spurs shut him down. They didn’t want him trying to come back at all.

EricB
07-07-2019, 01:15 AM

His play will fall off a cliff in two years. Guaranteed. He’s already walking around like an 80 year old man.

EricB
07-07-2019, 01:16 AM
The fact that Leonard waited to consider his options, instead of immediately declaring his choice to go to LA, vitiates the OP's thesis.

Leonard to the Clippers has been a done deal for 15 months dipshit

jmard5
07-07-2019, 01:54 AM
I think I lived in a cave for awhile - when did SpursTalk add Spurs-related news items like this? This is what I am looking for. BOOKMARKED! Thanks LJ, Kori.

Pavlov
07-07-2019, 01:56 AM
I think I lived in a cave for awhile - when did SpursTalk add Spurs-related news items like this? This is what I am looking for. BOOKMARKED! Thanks LJ, Kori.Turn notifications on.

Handy.

phxspurfan
07-07-2019, 02:02 AM
Spurs will be lacking shooting a bit versus last year.

BillMc
07-07-2019, 04:37 AM
Bravo. This was funny as hell
:bobo

BillMc
07-07-2019, 04:44 AM

picnroll
07-07-2019, 05:43 AM

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/254785/Kawhi-Leonard-Would-Have-Signed-With-Lakers-If-Not-For-Clippers-Paul-George-Trade

Try again Capt Stupid

Capt Bringdown
07-07-2019, 12:57 PM
https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/254785/Kawhi-Leonard-Would-Have-Signed-With-Lakers-If-Not-For-Clippers-Paul-George-Trade

Try again Capt Stupid

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_mxdsxPeXdA4/TDkxKG6DQpI/AAAAAAAAAGI/j7oG-w0rS80/s1600/black%20guy%20laughing.JPG

Lakers Rumors: 'No Way' Kawhi Leonard Was Joining LeBron James, Anthony Davis --> (https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2844578-lakers-rumors-no-way-kawhi-leonard-was-joining-lebron-james-anthony-davis)

LOL, the vitriol of the Spurs "vindicationalists"

BackHome
07-07-2019, 01:14 PM
Yeah everyone and their mother new KY was going back to Cali only thing that was open to debate was which team? It shows he wanted out and wanted to be back home only reason he played with Raptors is we traded his ass and he could not sit out and collect checks two years in a row for doing nothing.

picnroll
07-07-2019, 01:20 PM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_mxdsxPeXdA4/TDkxKG6DQpI/AAAAAAAAAGI/j7oG-w0rS80/s1600/black%20guy%20laughing.JPG

Lakers Rumors: 'No Way' Kawhi Leonard Was Joining LeBron James, Anthony Davis --> (https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2844578-lakers-rumors-no-way-kawhi-leonard-was-joining-lebron-james-anthony-davis)

LOL, the vitriol of the Spurs "vindicationalists"
Woj or Capt Stupid, who to believe. Tough choice. :rollin

J_Paco
07-07-2019, 03:52 PM
it was a bad trade pac but its def time to move on

Agreed, I'll hate his guts forever for how he left and tried to make the organization the "fall guy" (especially in what would be Manu/Tony's last season together), but it is time to turn the page.

Spurs have a nice mix of veterans and young, talented, unproven prospects dripping with potential (one or more could easily become an all-star). No point in harping on what could have been or wishing they had held onto (by force) the ultimate quitter.

duncan2k5
07-07-2019, 06:57 PM
And fuck that bitch between holding out and saying LA or bust he had destroyed his trade value.

Spurs being pussies killed his trade value... AD did the same exact thing as Kawhi and NO made out like bandits...

duncan2k5
07-07-2019, 07:04 PM
Agree. This signing to Clippers, despite ringing with Toronto, throw a light on who really was Kawhi or his representation, but a conniving, self-serving son of a bitch without loyalty, who manipulated everything to get himself shipped to LA. The Holts should really consider filing a complaint for breach of contract, and try to recover the 20 mil plus penalty. The load management shit was just a cover-up.

Yall forget Kawhi has a gf (pretty much wife) from Cali... I'm SURE whether he wanted to stay Toronto or not, her opinion held a LOT of weight

Capt Bringdown
07-07-2019, 07:07 PM
Woj or Capt Stupid, who to believe. Tough choice. :rollin
bwahaha...

duncan2k5
07-07-2019, 07:09 PM
A lot of posters upset the Spurs didn't bend over backwards to appease him, only for him to inevitably do what he did to Toronto.

Bro... Ppl on HERE were mad at the moves the front office has been making... How the fuck do u expect Kawhi to not be also?

Capt Bringdown
07-07-2019, 07:33 PM
Re the ill-humored contortions of the Spurs vindicationalists:
Leonard was never going to the Lakers, guess again.
The Clips pulled the trigger because of fear that PG would end up in Toronto, and not fear for of Lakerland

duncan2k5
07-07-2019, 08:01 PM
The Clips pulled the trigger because of fear that PG would end up in Toronto, and not fear for of Lakerland

Exactly... No WAY Kawhi would ever play with lebron... For goodness sakes as soon as lebron went to the Lakers last summer, rumors came out that Kawhi no longer wanted to go there

Arcadian
07-07-2019, 08:13 PM
My respect for Kawhi has increased with this decision. Rather than stacking 3 superstars on one team, now we have a more balanced 2 and 2 between the Lakers and Clippers. He's officially less of a bitch than Durant.

Pavlov
07-07-2019, 08:16 PM

Ever play poker?

pad300
07-07-2019, 08:23 PM
Spurs being pussies killed his trade value... AD did the same exact thing as Kawhi and NO made out like bandits...

AD pulled a 73 game medical holdout and I missed it !?! How these things fly by...

TheDoctor
07-07-2019, 08:35 PM

TheDoctor
07-07-2019, 08:36 PM
Exactly... No WAY Kawhi would ever play with lebron... For goodness sakes as soon as lebron went to the Lakers last summer, rumors came out that Kawhi no longer wanted to go there

spurs10
07-07-2019, 08:47 PM
AD pulled a 73 game medical holdout and I missed it !?! How these things fly by... Yeah I missed that too...I guess he was also just a 'loaner' too and LAL gave up all those players and picks anyway. Who knew?
:bobo

Dverde
07-07-2019, 08:53 PM
Uncle and Nephew are still idiots...sign supermax then after a year demand a trade. Or

Capt Bringdown
07-07-2019, 09:09 PM
Uncle and Nephew are still idiots...sign supermax then after a year demand a trade. Or

Leonard wants to play basketball and win titles. His way. Team's meet his demands, he calls the shots.
Leonard is a working man's hero. Who doesn't want to fire the boss?
Players create value, they are entitled to all that they create - including the power to determine their own destiny.

It's a player's league, get used to it.
Pop's Military-Town USA machinations and manipulations are in the past. Fun while it lasted. You either learn how to adapt to the new, or create self-serving and self-pitying fables of vindication.

daslicer
07-07-2019, 09:13 PM
Leonard wants to play basketball and win titles. His way. Team's meet his demands, he calls the shots.
Leonard is a working man's hero. Who doesn't fire the boss?
Players create value, they are entitled to all that they create - including the power to determine their own destiny.

It's a player's league, get used to it.
Pop's Military-Town USA machinations and manipulations are in the past. Fun while it lasted. You either learn how to adapt to the new, or create self-serving and self-pitying fables of vindication.

What a bunch of nonsense.

Pavlov
07-07-2019, 09:23 PM
What a bunch of nonsense.:lol machinations

Trueblood
07-07-2019, 09:23 PM
Man, the shear delusion of some people on here...
Did Pop and the FO make mistakes? Absolutely. But to those who believe there was ever a chance nephew was ever going to stay... I got nothing for them.
He's wanted to go back to Cali ever since he left. Uncle parlayed that desire into an opportunity to make more money. This is not just his uncle, this is his AGENT. Would he rather get 10% of the super max kicker or 10% of all the endorsement money nephew could make in a major market? These shoe deals are in the hundreds of millions and he wasn't getting a major endorsement in SA. Period. HEB and a 20 million clothing line was the best he could get here.
The evidence all supports this:
At the same time he's sitting out the season his uncle is canceling the contract with Jordan brand because he wasn't making "MVP money";
He sits out the season before he demands a trade so he doesn't risk injury and now he's on the last year of the contract (more likely to be traded);
While he's in the middle of his playoff run uncle is suing Nike for the rights to the klaw logo so he's ready for his new brand this season;
And finally he just left a team that have him the rest he wanted and the support he needed.
Now I will concede that he might have stayed with Toronto if they had brought in George, but that has to do with uncle being comfortable with his endorsements in Canada (being the star player in the only basketball team in Canada).
In the end this came down to two factors: nephew wanted to move to Cali and uncle wanted more money. Simple. The ONLY thing the spurs could have done to hold him is to move to LA.

GreekSpursfan
07-07-2019, 09:43 PM
My respect for Kawhi has increased with this decision. Rather than stacking 3 superstars on one team, now we have a more balanced 2 and 2 between the Lakers and Clippers. He's officially less of a bitch than Durant.

There is no such thing as "a little bit pregnant", you're either pregnant or you are not, you are a bitch or you are not. Kahwitter is still a bitch who left a very stacked Toronto team to go play alongside an mvp caliber player. Right now KD is not a bitch, Kyrie is nowhere near mvp material.

Arcadian
07-07-2019, 10:00 PM
There is no such thing as "a little bit pregnant", you're either pregnant or you are not, you are a bitch or you are not. Kahwitter is still a bitch who left a very stacked Toronto team to go play alongside an mvp caliber player. Right now KD is not a bitch, Kyrie is nowhere near mvp material.

Kawhi joining the Lakers would have been equivalent to Durant joining the Warriors, but he didn't. He made a more competitive move. Now, instead of having one good and one shitty team in LA, there will be 2 good teams. It's better for the league and better for entertainment.

ZeusWillJudge
07-07-2019, 10:34 PM
Kawhi joining the Lakers would have been equivalent to Durant joining the Warriors, but he didn't. He made a more competitive move. Now, instead of having one good and one shitty team in LA, there will be 2 good teams. It's better for the league and better for entertainment.

Sooo… Kawhi went to the Clippers because he was trying to spread the talent around the league, and not give himself the best chance to win B2B with different teams? He passed on an extra $40M that the Raps could have given him, and he passed on playing for a stacked Lakers super-team - all so that he could protect the balance of power in the league?

He's like some kind of saint. Maybe even a god. I mean, if I wasn't a god myself, I might even bow down to him.

slick'81
07-07-2019, 10:37 PM
Sooo… Kawhi went to the Clippers because he was trying to spread the talent around the league, and not give himself the best chance to win B2B with different teams? He passed on an extra $40M that the Raps could have given him, and he passed on playing for a stacked Lakers super-team - all so that he could protect the balance of power in the league?

He's like some kind of saint. Maybe even a god. I mean, if I wasn't a god myself, I might even bow down to him.

kawhi is the gift that keeps on giving

duncan2k5
07-07-2019, 11:55 PM
AD pulled a 73 game medical holdout and I missed it !?! How these things fly by...

The claim was that Kawhi said LA or bust so that caused the Spurs to not be able to negotiate great returns... AD also said LA or bust... Both were traded in the summer... How the fuck do u guys keep trying to ignore the fact that our FO got destroyed in those negotiations? We got a shit player and a draft pick... These other teams got great YOUNG talents and a shit ton of future picks...all from players that said LA or bust.. We got jobbed

duncan2k5
07-07-2019, 11:59 PM
Did Pop and the FO make mistakes? Absolutely. But to those who believe there was ever a chance nephew was ever going to stay... I got nothing for them.
He's wanted to go back to Cali ever since he left. Uncle parlayed that desire into an opportunity to make more money. This is not just his uncle, this is his AGENT. Would he rather get 10% of the super max kicker or 10% of all the endorsement money nephew could make in a major market? These shoe deals are in the hundreds of millions and he wasn't getting a major endorsement in SA. Period. HEB and a 20 million clothing line was the best he could get here.
At the same time he's sitting out the season his uncle is canceling the contract with Jordan brand because he wasn't making "MVP money";
He sits out the season before he demands a trade so he doesn't risk injury and now he's on the last year of the contract (more likely to be traded);
While he's in the middle of his playoff run uncle is suing Nike for the rights to the klaw logo so he's ready for his new brand this season;
And finally he just left a team that have him the rest he wanted and the support he needed.
Now I will concede that he might have stayed with Toronto if they had brought in George, but that has to do with uncle being comfortable with his endorsements in Canada (being the star player in the only basketball team in Canada).
In the end this came down to two factors: nephew wanted to move to Cali and uncle wanted more money. Simple. The ONLY thing the spurs could have done to hold him is to move to LA.

I agree with you... Once the Spurs did whatever they did to him, then compounded it by all the media bashing they did, there was no coming back for Kawhi... It's like we want our players to have Stockholm syndrome

duncan2k5
07-08-2019, 12:03 AM

LMFAO... Ok guys... Stop it... Now Toronto is akin to golden state? A year ago yall were laughing at the fact that he got sent there to "waste" a year... Now they're stacked because it first ur argument? The clippers this year arguably would beat a kawhiless raptors team in a seven game series

duncan2k5
07-08-2019, 12:05 AM

And because his wife wanted to go home... He could have played for the Lakers if he wanted to... But he hates lebron

Allan Rowe vs Wade
07-08-2019, 12:07 AM
kawho?

Borosai
07-08-2019, 12:35 AM
Some people... :rolleyes

Brazil
07-08-2019, 06:10 AM
Dat duncan2k5 retard spinning dat shit... :lmao

GreekSpursfan
07-08-2019, 09:58 AM
LMFAO... Ok guys... Stop it... Now Toronto is akin to golden state? A year ago yall were laughing at the fact that he got sent there to "waste" a year... Now they're stacked because it first ur argument? The clippers this year arguably would beat a kawhiless raptors team in a seven game series

You need to be drug tested for this claim. Those who think that Toronto wasn't stacked last year better stop talking about bball altogether. FVV was the second coming of Curry for fucks sake.

Brazil
07-08-2019, 10:09 AM
This signing is great for the Spurs.. Spurs are free, Lakers are screw, NBA is wide open once again

lmbebo
07-08-2019, 11:59 AM
Could part of the problem been that the spurs weren't willing to swing for the fences to trade for a PG and given up the ransom Clippers did?

Dr. John R. Brinkley
07-08-2019, 12:10 PM
Boston wouldn’t even trade Jaylen Brown. Thanks to Kawhi sandbagging, his value plummeted due to the uncertainty of his injury.

phxspurfan
07-08-2019, 12:16 PM
In closing:

v_YozYt8l-g

ZeusWillJudge
07-08-2019, 12:42 PM
Could part of the problem been that the spurs weren't willing to swing for the fences to trade for a PG and given up the ransom Clippers did?

I would make any bet available that the Lakers won't be in the playoffs for two decades straight, with championships scattered through, with the approach they've taken. If only it wouldn't take 20 years for the payoff.

The Spurs are a small market team, and can't throw unlimited money at a roster year after year. For them it wouldn't be swinging for the fences, it would be swinging for the scrap heap. You did make me realize one thing, though. It's probably been a week since I've said Fuck Kawhi.

Fuck Kawhi.

Brazil
07-08-2019, 01:19 PM

DENIAL

The claim was that Kawhi said LA or bust so that caused the Spurs to not be able to negotiate great returns... AD also said LA or bust... Both were traded in the summer... How the fuck do u guys keep trying to ignore the fact that our FO got destroyed in those negotiations? We got a shit player and a draft pick... These other teams got great YOUNG talents and a shit ton of future picks...all from players that said LA or bust.. We got jobbed

ANGER

I agree with you... Once the Spurs did whatever they did to him, then compounded it by all the media bashing they did, there was no coming back for Kawhi... It's like we want our players to have Stockholm syndrome

BARGAINING

well, you are making progree bro.. good fo ya

buujness
07-08-2019, 01:32 PM
The claim was that Kawhi said LA or bust so that caused the Spurs to not be able to negotiate great returns... AD also said LA or bust... Both were traded in the summer... How the fuck do u guys keep trying to ignore the fact that our FO got destroyed in those negotiations? We got a shit player and a draft pick... These other teams got great YOUNG talents and a shit ton of future picks...all from players that said LA or bust.. We got jobbedContext matters.

Kawhi didn't play for a whole year, so there were a TON of questions about his health. That didn't help his trade value. AD's issues are for more explicable.

More importantly, Magic and Rob Pelinka were on a high last year; they were convinced that they could just get him in FA, and that PG13 was just a fluke. Fast forward to a year full of dysfunction, with sudden resignations and the observation that they were, at best, a distant 3rd in the Kawhi-sweepstakes going into the offseason: they were in a FAR more desperate situation, so they were willing to part with more to get AD.

Not to mention that the Lakers young players depreciated in value in their eyes. I remember them not being willing to give up Brandon Ingram in a Kawhi deal, lol.

In your zeal to blame this on PATFO, you have failed to take the important context of the two situations into account.

LakerHater
07-08-2019, 02:29 PM
https://images2.imgbox.com/45/e7/XketpsvG_o.jpg

Arcadian
07-08-2019, 03:08 PM

No, that was not his main motivation, but it is a byproduct of his decision. I'm just saying the league will be more entertaining now than if he had joined the Lakers. Good decision Kawhi. :tu

lmbebo
07-08-2019, 03:25 PM

I wouldn't say he gave us a championship.... He gave Toronto a championship. We had multiple championships before him ...

tonight...you
07-08-2019, 03:26 PM
Is that a trans sticking up for him?

KobesAchilles
07-08-2019, 03:39 PM
Completely different situations but I suspect you know that. Kawhi didn’t play for a year and his injury didn’t require surgery and really nobody knew what was wrong with him. We do know that the Celtics didn’t even offer Jaylen fucking Brown. The 76ers wouldn’t even offer Fultz :lol and the Lakers only offered Bradon Ingram (who is a taller version of DeRozan at best). We also couldn’t hold Kawhi to showcase that he was healthy bc his uncle said Kawhi would sit out the next year if we didn’t trade him. We were lucky to even get the Toronto offer tbh. Of the 4 situations, which team would you have traded him to? Keep in mind Magic Johnson literally said in live TV that he didn’t offer the same package for Kawhi that he did for AD so bringing up AD to begin with is ridiculous.

spurraider21
07-08-2019, 03:43 PM
paging Spurtacular (https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=49615) for his preferred fap material, if true

Twisted_Dawg
07-08-2019, 03:51 PM

:lol:lol

SpurOutofTownFan
07-08-2019, 04:09 PM
This is pretty much what I knew all along. He was injured but then he used that as a pretext to bail out and faked it the rest of the way.

Guys - a #1 player and FMVP moving to another team less than a month after winning a ring with red carpet treatment, etc. for less money has never happened before. Nothing Toronto could have done and nothing the Spurs could have done.

He fucked the Spur's valuable trade opportunities when he spoke up about moving only to LA. He seemed to be alright playing for Toronto. It was all FAKE.

You retarded people who are in DENIAL, are in DENIAL!!

SpurOutofTownFan
07-08-2019, 04:14 PM

Sorry man - not on this one. Going to LA was inevitable - it has been for many years now. I recall that's true back in 2015 rumors started that KL was going to reject the super max if offered. People in denial came up with fake news that the Spurs weren't planning to offer max when it was the other way around

TDMVPDPOY
07-08-2019, 04:15 PM
all i know the spurms patfo shouldve taken the clippers offer whatever it was... harris 1yr rental + 15+16th picks is still fkn better then ddr the fkn scrub, had the spurs did shit last season with the rental it be part of the tanking for higher picks

Capt Bringdown
07-08-2019, 04:37 PM
Sorry man - not on this one. Going to LA was inevitable - it has been for many years now. I recall that's true back in 2015 rumors started that KL was going to reject the super max if offered. People in denial came up with fake news that the Spurs weren't planning to offer max when it was the other way around

No need to apologize. There are many moving parts in this saga, and all are open to interpretation.
I believe that PG was the deal-breaker. If the Clips couldn't get him, and/or if the Raptors got him, Leonard would have gone back to Toronto.
I don't buy that LA was inevitable.

But even if, for the sake of argument, the Spurs still aren't vindicated. They handled the situation poorly.
/sorted

Spurtacular
07-08-2019, 05:00 PM
paging Spurtacular (https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=49615) for his preferred fap material, if true

Lite desperately trying to turn tables.

BSfromTX
07-08-2019, 05:33 PM
all i know the spurms patfo shouldve taken the clippers offer whatever it was... harris 1yr rental + 15+16th picks is still fkn better then ddr the fkn scrub, had the spurs did shit last season with the rental it be part of the tanking for higher picks

this.. It was obvious Pop was getting crappy offers and at the time DD seemed like a decent consolation, but this year proved otherwise. Hind sight is 20/20. I admit I thought DD would have performed better, but he didn't, so it would be nice to have a couple picks and not that huge contract.

YGWHI
07-08-2019, 07:12 PM
Dude is a loser
Nah...

So, in more than one sense, I also frankly think that our organization has re-gained a lot of media credibility...expecially in the behavior about injuries (where we've always been considered extra cautious before the n° 2 drama) in front of other supposed "advanced" teams...

IDK...ESPN talked about this Summer League game as "a game between the two teams couldn't keep Kawhi" "two teams Kawhi doesn't play for"...They didn't even mention the teams.

The good thing? Lonnie Walker will save us. He's destroying everyone in these last games. Love how he's playing...To be honest I'm not afraid of Clippers Lakers Rockets Jazz this new Spurs team seems to be really good and balanced.

tenbeersbold
07-10-2019, 12:54 PM
Nah...

First ever player to take off a third of the season....

IDK...ESPN talked about this Summer League game as "a game between the two teams couldn't keep Kawhi" "two teams Kawhi doesn't play for"...They didn't even mention the teams.

The good thing? Lonnie Walker will save us. He's destroying everyone in these last games. Love how he's playing...To be honest I'm not afraid of Clippers Lakers Rockets Jazz this new Spurs team seems to be really good and balanced.

Brazil
07-10-2019, 03:51 PM
No need to apologize. There are many moving parts in this saga, and all are open to interpretation.
I believe that PG was the deal-breaker. If the Clips couldn't get him, and/or if the Raptors got him, Leonard would have gone back to Toronto.

But even if, for the sake of argument, the Spurs still aren't vindicated. They handled the situation poorly.
/sorted

:lol dude let the opportunity to defend his ring to go to LA.. How spurs handled the situation poorly ? did the raptors handle the situation poorly ?

It does not matter.. dude was gone

u suffering from some stockholm syndrom bro

Ed Helicopter Jones
07-10-2019, 10:33 PM
:lol dude let the opportunity to defend his ring to go to LA.. How spurs handled the situation poorly ? did the raptors handle the situation poorly ?

It does not matter.. dude was gone

u suffering from some stockholm syndrom bro

True. As Timvp mentioned, Kawhi wanted to leave starting in 2015. He was gone no matter what the Spurs did. The whole country of Canada sucked his balls and he wouldn’t stay. Not sure if there’s Karma or not. We’ll see.

duncan2k5
07-11-2019, 02:34 AM
You need to be drug tested for this claim. Those who think that Toronto wasn't stacked last year better stop talking about bball altogether. FVV was the second coming of Curry for fucks sake.

Stacked? Van Vleet is as good as Curry? U guys are fucking nuts... U were the same ones laughing at him when he was sent there! Yall called it a waste! If they were REALLY stacked, yall would have been pissed reacted as if he was sent to the warriors... Now he won them a ring, yall calling Toronto stacked... Then in a other post, yall be saying now Toronto is in shambles and will go back to being a nothing team... Yall change ur arguments depending on whether or not ur arguing with me or someone else... Lmfao

duncan2k5
07-11-2019, 02:36 AM
DENIAL

ANGER

BARGAINING

well, you are making progree bro.. good fo ya

Getting there... Hope ur close behind

duncan2k5
07-11-2019, 02:41 AM
Completely different situations but I suspect you know that. Kawhi didn’t play for a year and his injury didn’t require surgery and really nobody knew what was wrong with him. We do know that the Celtics didn’t even offer Jaylen fucking Brown. The 76ers wouldn’t even offer Fultz :lol and the Lakers only offered Bradon Ingram (who is a taller version of DeRozan at best). We also couldn’t hold Kawhi to showcase that he was healthy bc his uncle said Kawhi would sit out the next year if we didn’t trade him. We were lucky to even get the Toronto offer tbh. Of the 4 situations, which team would you have traded him to? Keep in mind Magic Johnson literally said in live TV that he didn’t offer the same package for Kawhi that he did for AD so bringing up AD to begin with is ridiculous.

U guys really think the same front office that threw away money to Patty Mills and Pau Gasol could do no wrong in the Kawhi trade? Lol... Alright bro... Even the Clippers deal was better than taking on DDR's contract... We gave the raptors a championship for a bad contract... Extremely bad deal... No one will agree with me now that I said it, but after the finals, NUMEROUS ppl were saying the same thing... Now look at them pretend like they never said it

Brazil
07-11-2019, 09:37 AM
Getting there... Hope ur close behind

I am in acceptance level for a while bro... you will get there slowly but surely

Capt Bringdown
07-11-2019, 09:31 PM
Green: Kawhi wanted 'his own route,' not Lakers -->>
(https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/27170710/green-kawhi-wanted-own-route-not-lakers)
"I think all of it was a shock to me," Green said on a conference call with reporters Thursday. "Except not as much of a shock Kawhi going to L.A. The Clippers, anyway. I didn't see him coming this route [to the Lakers].

"I feel like he wanted to go his own route. I think it was between them and going back (to Toronto).

dbreiden83080
07-11-2019, 10:37 PM

/sorted

The only thing that can be argued would be possibly they could’ve got more back in a trade. But I would argue that was not the case either. Because he torpedoed his trade value with the bullshit he pulled. That was kind of the whole point. Trying to manipulate where he would go by torpedoing his value. Toronto now officially got punched in the fucking guts by this guy. They got lucky to win the championship. Honeymoon is over now. He fucked you guys too.

dbreiden83080
07-11-2019, 10:40 PM
U guys really think the same front office that threw away money to Patty Mills and Pau Gasol could do no wrong in the Kawhi trade? Lol... Alright bro... Even the Clippers deal was better than taking on DDR's contract... We gave the raptors a championship for a bad contract... Extremely bad deal... No one will agree with me now that I said it, but after the finals, NUMEROUS ppl were saying the same thing... Now look at them pretend like they never said it

DD Is a good player, it is amazing how many people shit on him around here unfairly in my opinion. Of course he is nowhere near the player Leonard is. Leonard when healthy is a top three player in the league. But it’s not the Spurs fault they lost Leonard. He wanted out, and he planned with his uncle a way to get out. That’s clear as fucking daylight now. Where is he? Los Angeles. He was rumored to want to be there 3 years ago. This was always happening.

Gervin44Silas13
07-12-2019, 05:59 AM
Raptors got the Chip by default.....if GS was at full strenght they wouldnt have won.....Raps got lucky.....It was clear he didnt want to be in SA.....fuck him!!!

Gervin44Silas13
07-12-2019, 06:06 AM
True in all aspects didn't know about the 2015 rumors he already knew what he was gonna do......sucks for us

Ocotillo
07-12-2019, 08:07 AM
I suspect Nephew took a short deal with the Clips and may move to the Lakers when Lebron is out of the way. Not sure that would be in two years though.