PDA

View Full Version : Summer League Grades: Spurs vs. Magic - July 5, 2019

timvp
07-06-2019, 06:27 AM
https://www.spurstalk.com/grades-spurs-summer-league-magic-game-4/

No fourth quarter was played due to the earthquake.

TL;DR: LW4 was good. Eubanks was okay. Everyone else wasn't.

D-Robinson 50 fan
07-06-2019, 06:56 AM
I thought Lonnie wasnt that good on defense. He was one of the reasons that one wing he was jawing with was scoring points like crazy. The guy at one point was damn near getting anything he wanted offensively. Which I think is what started the playful banter between the 2. I agree it was disheartening to see Lonnie pass up so many open 3 pointers and him kinda not looking much for teammates. Lonnie has so much talent but definitely has some things he needs to work on.

Luka is learning that he can't live on his athleticism alone in the NBA. Dude has got to get stronger to help him unlock a lot of his potential. Hopefully him getting a bit bigger and stronger doesn't hurt his athletic ability too much. Another thing he should work on is a pull up jumper and his overall handle. I've noticed that if he can't beat his defender off his 1st step quickness (which he does alot) then he doesn't really know what to do when stopped or will be caught in a bad situation. If he could get the pull up jumper in his game or get more advanced with his handle I think that would help his offense immensely. Defensively and rebounding the same issue as far as getting stronger would help alot

acoelho1
07-06-2019, 08:20 AM
It seems pretty clear that Lonnie is going to be a star. He has such quickness out on the court, which stands out even though he's going against other NBA players. I noticed it as well when he sparingly played last year. I'm not worried about his 3pt shot because he has picture perfect form and just needs to work on his balance and footwork. We are going to surprise a lot of people next year with the growth of Murray, White and now Walker. We will contend next season for sure and KL news doesn't change that.

Russ
07-06-2019, 08:31 AM
Lonnie is starting to remind me a bit of George Gervin -- both the good and the bad.

He has all kinds of smooth, loopy, long-armed moves around the basket (and sweet touch on mid-range Js and floaters).

He also has absolutely no physicality to his game. (Just like GG.)

He floats around on D like he doesn't want to get mussed up. (That's the Iceman!)

kobyz
07-06-2019, 08:58 AM
Lonnie- a more raw and selfish Monta Ellis

Truth4sale$
07-06-2019, 09:10 AM
Walker is showing more and more that he is one dimensional. To be a star, he has to play much better defense. I thought he had the potential to be Victor Oladipo but i am seeing a young Demar Derozan. He certainly does not deserve to start over Derrick White. It will be difficult to play him over Bryn Forbes.
I dont think Lonnie seems to have any interest in playing defense. In fact between him and Samanic the defense looks HORRIBLE! Samanic is the euro player the Spurs drafted that needed to stay in Europe for once. He looks overwhelmed, extremely raw, reminds me of the Livio Jean Charles pick. Great workout, in the predraft scrimmages but never turned into anything.
I would like to see some of the other guys like Terry Larrier or Darrel Poirier get more time.

4lifecowboy
07-06-2019, 09:50 AM
I would prefer a Walker-Murray backcourt over a Murray-White backcourt easily. White needs to come off the bench to lead the second unit, him and Murray are the only two points on the roster really. Plus Murray and Walker cover each other's weaknesses, and their athleticism will cause problems for any opposing backcourt.

Murray/White/Mills
Walker/Forbes
Derozan/Bellinelli
Gay/Bertan/Carroll
Aldridge/Poeltl

BillMc
07-06-2019, 10:03 AM
I haven't seen a single Summer league game because I've been travelling in Ukraine, Poland and France. So, I really appreciate these grades. Many thanks.