PDA

View Full Version : Calling my shot

FkLA
07-06-2019, 12:41 PM
Barring major injuries we are ringing, boys. Deepest team in the league. PopaGOAT will seize the opportunity and coach like a mad scientist. Write it down and bump it in June. The NBA and my Spurs are back baby!

:flag:

NASpurs
07-06-2019, 12:42 PM
Not with DeMar still on the team. Bump my post.

Leetonidas
07-06-2019, 12:44 PM
Not with DeMar still on the team. Bump my post.

Plot twist: demar suffers season ending injury right before all star break and Spurs play 10x better without him and ring with him in street clothes. That would be the saddest shit ever for this dude :lol

NASpurs
07-06-2019, 12:46 PM
Plot twist: demar suffers season ending injury right before all star break and Spurs play 10x better without him and ring with him in street clothes. That would be the saddest shit ever for this dude :lol

And will always be known as the ultimate addition by subtraction player in NBA history.

daslicer
07-06-2019, 12:46 PM
No expectations for this team. Just hoping they are more fun to watch than last year with all the young guys developing.

SpurPadre
07-06-2019, 12:47 PM
Barring major injuries we are ringing, boys. Deepest team in the league. PopaGOAT will seize the opportunity and coach like a mad scientist. Write it down and bump it in June. The NBA and my Spurs are back baby!

You forgot the part where White gets benched in Game 7 and Murray wins Finals MVP, tbh. :wakeup

Dex
07-06-2019, 12:49 PM

Not used to the positivity...but I like it :tu

SpurPadre
07-06-2019, 12:50 PM

Say what you want about DeMar as a player but as a person, he's a good dude. Load Management on the other hand, is an unethical piece of shit.

Dejounte
07-06-2019, 12:50 PM
More confident in this idea than if Kawhi joined the Lakers. Its anyones ball game for the championship. Two headed monsters are not a guarantee for a championship, three headed monsters are.

No one has a three headed monster. Spurs have a chance to ring every year.

RD2191
07-06-2019, 12:54 PM
:lol

offset formation
07-06-2019, 12:54 PM
More confident in this idea than if Kawhi joined the Lakers. Its anyones ball game for the championship. Two headed monsters are not a guarantee for a championship, three headed monsters are.

No one has a three headed monster. Spurs have a chance to ring every year.

Problem is unlike most two headed teams out there, Clippers maintain a sick fucking bench.

You could have Montrezl Harrell, Lou Will, Mo Harkless, Shamet, and PatBev on your bench and still roll out Kawhi and Paul George to start. Both are incredible scorers and defenders.

They have to be the favorites imo.

Leetonidas
07-06-2019, 12:56 PM
Say what you want about DeMar as a player but as a person, he's a good dude. Load Management on the other hand, is an unethical piece of shit.

Agree. I would never actually wish an injury on him. Toronto did him dirty but he's never done anything but speak highly of the Spurs. Don't particularly like him on this team but nothing against him personally

Dejounte
07-06-2019, 12:59 PM
Problem is unlike most two headed teams out there, Clippers maintain a sick fucking bench.

You could have Montrezl Harrell, Lou Will, Mo Harkless, Shamet, and PatBev on your bench and still roll out Kawhi and Paul George to start. Both are incredible scorers and defenders.

Favorites, sure. Just like with the Raptors this year, Clips are gonna have trouble maintaining chemistry with Kawhi missing every other game. If theres anyone in the NBA whose capable of strategizing and game planning, its Pop. Hes probably the best mastermind to handle a 2 headed monster. One of them goes down and thats a terrible team. They really arent scary at all. I mean compared to going against Kawhi, Lebron, AD. Theyre a giant but they can be taken down.

I compare Kawhi and George to a team like the Magic when they had TMac and Grant Hill.

daslicer
07-06-2019, 01:01 PM

They are an elite team for sure but I would say they are still beatable. I don't feel they are Warriors like invincible.

FkLA
07-06-2019, 01:06 PM
I understand casuals and the mainstream media underrating the Spurs, but if you followed the team closely last year theres no excuse for not seeing the potential. I dont know the exact record, but pretty sure the Spurs with just Derrick White in the lineup, if we extrapolate that over 82 games would've been a Top 4 team in the West. The worst stretches of the season were when White was out.

Add IB and SrSwagDaddy to the mix (more defense)+lessen the roles of Forbes, Belli, Wombat and this team is solid af, tbh.

SpurPadre
07-06-2019, 01:06 PM
Agree. I would never actually wish an injury on him. Toronto did him dirty but he's never done anything but speak highly of the Spurs. Don't particularly like him on this team but nothing against him personally

Yeah, he's a good player too just not at the level of 1b player we were accustomed to with Manu, tbh. And as 1b, he'll never be as good as our 1c player was in TP. He's just not in the mold of elite Spurs player that can thrive in this system to add to the fact that he's nowhere near the elite talent we had in the past.

Dejounte
07-06-2019, 01:13 PM
What made the Warriors invincible was there unselfishness. It was pass, pass, pass, 3 pt shot.

Clippers are going to be much different.... Its going to be iso, iso, iso, 2 pt shot. They dont have the 3 pt shooters the Raptors had . The Clips are going to play old school basketball in this era.Totallyyy beatable.

FkLA
07-06-2019, 06:35 PM
+ Marcus Morris

https://media.giphy.com/media/l0ErLeqamV3UOARsA/giphy.gif

timtonymanu
07-06-2019, 06:43 PM
Like the positivity but I don't see it just yet. They're still some dogshit vets like Mills and Beli getting in the way of everyone else and we know Pop loves to rely on those kind of guys.

RC_Drunkford
07-06-2019, 07:00 PM
Spurs are the deepest team in the league right now. Just gotta hope DeMar shoots 3s at an efficient clip and White/Murray/Walker/Poeltl make huge leaps. The ceiling of this group is very high if everything goes right

Mr. Body
07-06-2019, 07:05 PM
If Murray or White make a move to stardom, I'll give them a shot.

Dennis the Menace
07-06-2019, 07:05 PM
Haven’t been this excited since Kawhi & Spurs got past Memphis in the playoffs 3 years ago. Western Conference Finals seems attainable

Spurs Homer
07-06-2019, 07:07 PM
Spurs are the deepest team in the league right now. Just gotta hope DeMar shoots 3s at an efficient clip and White/Murray/Walker/Poeltl make huge leaps. The ceiling of this group is very high if everything goes right

I really think people are missing a huge thing -

DDR & LMA are two of the BEST 2- point shooters in the game.

Mix in the others who can shoot 3's and it plain works -

Why does everyone want to be the GS Chuckers now

SMH

RC_Drunkford
07-06-2019, 07:11 PM
I really think people are missing a huge thing -

DDR & LMA are two of the BEST 2- point shooters in the game.

Mix in the others who can shoot 3's and it plain works -

Why does everyone want to be the GS Chuckers now

SMH

it's about spacing. Everybody has more space to operate if teams can't sag off of DeRozan. That was a huge problem against Denver in the playoffs

Spurs Homer
07-06-2019, 07:13 PM
it's about spacing. Everybody has more space to operate if teams can't sag off of DeRozan. That was a huge problem against Denver in the playoffs

DDR can break down defenses and dish to the 3 pt shooters -

Spurs lost that series because Gay showed up late and a couple of cold shooting spells by EVERYONE!

Marcus Bryant
07-06-2019, 07:15 PM
Need one more move. Murray, Morris, Carroll, and Walker will improve the team significantly. White’s development as well.

Still, missing a piece.

Splits
07-06-2019, 07:15 PM
Looking forward to next May, where, just like every May, OP is cliff jumping and shit-talking "his" team

slick'81
07-06-2019, 07:16 PM
Need one more move. Murray, Morris, Carroll, and Walker will improve the team significantly. White’s development as well.

Still, missing a piece.

Back up big?

Dennis the Menace
07-06-2019, 07:23 PM

Still, missing a piece.

I don’t think there’s a missing piece from a personnel standpoint. That missing segment is Murray, White, and Walker taking the next step in their development.

If if we had a young Tim, Manu, and Tony with this roster back in the day they are ringing lots of years. Our 3 young foundation players taking the next step is the final piece

tim_duncan_fan
07-06-2019, 07:30 PM
Lol just because we added Marcus Morris and Lonnie hit some shots in Summer League?

Unless Dejounte or Derrick have evolved their game to become All-Star caliber, we aren't getting to the West finals.

timtonymanu
07-06-2019, 07:33 PM
Spurs are definitely a 2nd round team at least and we saw Portland luck into a WCF last year. So anything is possible, tbh. I don’t think this team makes the finals though unless Nephew goes down for good.

sasaint
07-06-2019, 07:34 PM

I agree that they are probable favorites, but I think we are set to seriously compete now. PATFO made a couple of stealth moves that really give us a puncher’s chance - if our young guys improve as expected and we avoid serious injuries.

slick'81
07-06-2019, 07:36 PM
I agree that they are probable favorites, but I think we are set to seriously compete now. PATFO made a couple of stealth moves that really give us a puncher’s chance - if our young guys improve as expected and we avoid serious injuries.

Alot riding on white/murrays development

rascal
07-06-2019, 07:38 PM
Name the last championship team without a top 10 player on the roster.

Marcus Bryant
07-06-2019, 07:41 PM
Back up big?

If you feel confident in someone stepping up to join Aldridge and DeRozan as your top three.

A backup big would enable DeRozan to play more at the 2 at times and run a traditional type front court though you can still go with

3 Gay or Carroll
4 Morris
5 Aldridge

Spurs will be significantly improved defensively, more worried about the offense tbh.

FkLA
07-06-2019, 07:43 PM
Name the last championship team without a top 10 player on the roster.

You really asking this as a Spurs fan on a Spurs forum? 2014.

rascal
07-06-2019, 07:44 PM
Duncan

tim_duncan_fan
07-06-2019, 07:45 PM

We weren't saying Kawhi was a top 10 guy in '14?

spurs10
07-06-2019, 07:46 PM

:flag: Hell yeah! Go Spurs! :flag:

Not used to the positivity...but I like it :tu :bobo

FkLA
07-06-2019, 07:49 PM
Duncan

come on bruh

We weren't saying Kawhi was a top 10 guy in '14?

No. Not even his biggest fanboys (and I was one of them) had him as anywhere close to being a Top 10 guy.

spurs10
07-06-2019, 07:57 PM
If you feel confident in someone stepping up to join Aldridge and DeRozan as your top three.

A backup big would enable DeRozan to play more at the 2 at times and run a traditional type front court though you can still go with

3 Gay or Carroll
4 Morris
5 Aldridge

Spurs will be significantly improved defensively, more worried about the offense tbh. I do like the idea of DDR playing the 2 sometimes, but wonder if Morris would then be the 3 and Gay or Carroll the 4. I suppose the forward positions will be interchangeable. I believe DDR starts at the 3 and Morris starts at the 4. Depends who Pop subs in first. Morris is a great addition.

Uriel
07-06-2019, 08:05 PM
We’ll win 50+ games and make the second round.

RD2191
07-06-2019, 08:06 PM
I'm calling a WCF appearance.

DAF86
07-06-2019, 08:14 PM

Still, missing a piece.

Trade for Covington.

DAF86
07-06-2019, 08:15 PM
Murray
DeRozan
Covington
Morris
Aldridge

White
Forbes
Carroll
Gay
Poeltl

Now that's a more than solid rotation. Best defensive team in the league.

FkLA
07-06-2019, 08:31 PM
I'm calling a WCF appearance.

Spurs will make the WCF. I guarantee it.

That's actually pretty impressive for a negative nacy like you, hermano. :lol

You'll come around even further once the Spurs are rolling, tbh.

Mr. Body
07-06-2019, 08:37 PM
The depth will be a major issue for the Lakers, for example. Even the Rockets, who I see taking a big dip this year.

Marcus Bryant
07-06-2019, 09:02 PM
Spurs should be a tough out in the playoffs, definitely have the roster to matchup with anybody, but who’s going to take a game over and hit the clutch shots?

ace3g
07-06-2019, 09:17 PM
Spurs should be a tough out in the playoffs, definitely have the roster to matchup with anybody, but who’s going to take a game over and hit the clutch shots?

well Marcus already knows how to pump fake PG13 out of the play for the game winner!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8O3Uf1iml1M

FkLA
07-06-2019, 09:19 PM

Who did that in 2014?

Marcus Bryant
07-06-2019, 09:26 PM
TP, Kawhi, TD, you name it. Spurs took that for granted for years, but now it’s pretty much LaMarcus.

rascal
07-06-2019, 09:39 PM
come on bruh

No. Not even his biggest fanboys (and I was one of them) had him as anywhere close to being a Top 10 guy.

Duncan was top 10 still one of the best top big men in the league.

timtonymanu
07-06-2019, 09:43 PM
Don’t sleep on Derrick White taking the clutch shots. :wakeup

FkLA
07-06-2019, 09:47 PM
TP, Kawhi, TD, you name it. Spurs took that for granted for years, but now it’s pretty much LaMarcus.

I'm talking about 2014 specifically. There was no guy that individually took over games in clutch situations. There were guys that hit clutch shots (Timmy fadeaway at OKC comes to mind), but not because they were dominant closers or anything like that--atleast not at that stage of their careers. It was a collective effort and that should be the blueprint for this year's team as well.

FkLA
07-06-2019, 09:52 PM
Don’t sleep on Derrick White taking the clutch shots. :wakeup

This as well. Not so much your typical hero last second shot taker, but moreso just having the ball in his hands and letting him read defenses like Manu used to. I think White has that in him.

Marcus Bryant
07-06-2019, 09:53 PM
I'm talking about 2014 specifically. There was no guy that individually took over games in clutch situations. There were guys that hit clutch shots (Timmy fadeaway at OKC comes to mind), but not because they were dominant closers or anything like that--atleast not at that stage of their careers. It was a collective effort and that should be the blueprint for this year's team as well.

There were quite a few, Spurs were fortunate in that regard in their title runs. If DeRozan became that that would go a long way but...I dunno, hasn’t shown that yet.

Lots of great supporting pieces on the roster but the big 3 isn’t there.

Kool Bob Love
07-06-2019, 10:03 PM
No Tim Duncan no Chance you stupid joto.

spurraider21
07-06-2019, 10:05 PM
Trade for Covington.

Murray
DeRozan
Covington
Morris
Aldridge

White
Forbes
Carroll
Gay
Poeltl

Now that's a more than solid rotation. Best defensive team in the league.
whats the trade here. patty and walker for covington?

DAF86
07-06-2019, 11:12 PM
whats the trade here. patty and walker for covington?

Patty, Belinelli, Walker, draft picks. Whatever it makes it work.

Spurtacular
07-07-2019, 04:14 AM
I don't think this is that far fetched. But I'm gonna keep my optimism much more measured.

Down Under
07-07-2019, 06:31 AM
A lot comes down to Dejounte & Lonnie honestly. If Murray is nothing more than a good spot up 3pt shooter who can attack closeouts, he'll be a massive 2-way addition. If Lonnie, who has a way higher ceiling, turns into an elite bench scorer, the Spurs will be right there IMO.