07-06-2019, 12:58 PM
PG: DJ Murray
SG: Derrick White
SF: DeMar Derozan?? :lol
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge??
C: Jakob Poeltl

NASpurs
07-06-2019, 01:01 PM
Knowing Pop, he'll start the season with...

PG: Murray
SG: Bryn "Steph" Forbes
SF: DeRozan
PF: Aldridge
C: Poeltl

Atl Spur
07-06-2019, 01:02 PM
Murray
DeRozan
Carroll
Aldridge
Poetel

MaNu4Tres
07-06-2019, 01:03 PM
Murray - Walker - DeMar - Gay - LMA

Murray - White - DeMar - Gay - LMA

Either/or. Preferably the former. Simplify Walker's game as a secondary playmaker off the ball, so he can focus on defending the best wing. Also, optimizes touches for White w/ second unit ( like Manu). Have Lonnie see 20-24 mpg total, while White gets 28-32 mpg.

Pavlov
07-06-2019, 01:06 PM

C: PoeltlSafe bet. Would hope Carroll or Bertans is in there instead of Poeltl but it will be changing a lot.

ironman2886
07-06-2019, 01:09 PM
SF: DeMar Derozan?? :lol
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge??
C: Jakob Poeltl

K...
07-06-2019, 01:09 PM
patty, brin, derozan, richard jef, aldridge, boogie

Leetonidas
07-06-2019, 01:11 PM
Derozan honestly kinda clogs things up. I think having Walker start as SG as the secondary playmaker is a great idea but I feel like Derozan needs to be in that role to be useful. Being that Spurs aren't moving Derozan, he's not coming off the bench, and he's not likely to develop a 3pt shot any time soon, I'd probably start with :

Murray/White/DeRozan/Carroll/LMA. This is a solid defensive unit with ok spacing. DeRozan can guard the SG as White and Murray are good enough defenders to cover most SFs.

Use Walker off the bench in the Manu role and lead the bench mob next to Forbes/Gay/Bertans/Poeltl. The other problem is Mills though, because he's trash and you know he's going to get 20mpg regardless of the fact that we have a cheaper, younger better version of him in Forbes. Then there's also Marco who I'm sure Pop will also gift 20mpg. Spurs really need to trade these two to best utilize their lineups imo

SpursDynasty85
07-06-2019, 01:14 PM
What is likely: Murray, Forbes, DeRozan, Gay, Aldridge.

What I prefee: Murray, White, DeRozan, Gay, Aldridge

Last year, even mores so than years past, our bench is what always brings us back into games because of the drastic change in space and pace. Now that we are pretty deep we should just put our best players in the SL now. Spacing sucks but it's obvious we need to start getting better defenders out there around Gay and DeRozan so this makes the most sense to me. Both I'm ok with though as long as one of Belli and Mills is eventually out the rotation by the end of the year.

mookie2001
07-06-2019, 01:15 PM
Forbes has to start to boost himself up and maximize this roster.

RD2191
07-06-2019, 01:16 PM

:lol Steph Forbes

ironman2886
07-06-2019, 01:16 PM
Derozan honestly kinda clogs things up. I think having Walker start as SG as the secondary playmaker is a great idea but I feel like Derozan needs to be in that role to be useful. Being that Spurs aren't moving Derozan, he's not coming off the bench, and he's not likely to develop a 3pt shot any time soon, I'd probably start with :

Murray/White/DeRozan/Carroll/LMA. This is a solid defensive unit with ok spacing. DeRozan can guard the SG as White and Murray are good enough defenders to cover most SFs.

Use Walker off the bench in the Manu role and lead the bench mob next to Forbes/Gay/Bertans/Poeltl. The other problem is Mills though, because he's trash and you know he's going to get 20mpg regardless of the fact that we have a cheaper, younger better version of him in Forbes. Then there's also Marco who I'm sure Pop will also gift 20mpg. Spurs really need to trade these two to best utilize their lineups imo
What can we get for Marco B. And Mills? Many teams need shooters.

phxspurfan
07-06-2019, 01:18 PM
Murray
White
DeRozan
LMA
Purrtl

Carroll/Walker
Forbes/Mills
Dat ninja Bert
etc

r0drig0lac
07-06-2019, 01:18 PM
Dejounte or White
Derozan
Carroll
Bertans
Aldridge

Dejounte
07-06-2019, 01:19 PM
End of the season starting line up:

Murray
Walker
DeMar
Aldridge
Poetl

Bench

White
Forbes
Gay
Carroll
Eubanks

Pavlov
07-06-2019, 01:20 PM
What can we get for Marco B. And Mills? Many teams need shooters.Including the Spurs, oddly enough.

Leetonidas
07-06-2019, 01:20 PM

2nd round picks

toki9
07-06-2019, 01:22 PM
Start: Murray-Derozan-Gay-Aldridge-Poeltl
Bench: White-Forbes-Walker-Carroll-Bertans
Deep Bench: Mills-Beli-Johnson-Samanic/Metu-Eubanks

picnroll
07-06-2019, 01:23 PM
If White has improved his three I’d like Murray and Forbes paired and White and Walker paired, a three point shooter on the floor with each. Unfortunately Mills will be in the top four in the PG/SG rotation. Hopefully KJ adds another playable 3 point shooter.

ironman2886
07-06-2019, 01:23 PM
Including the Spurs, oddly enough.
Not really. Forbes, Bertans, and Walker lV off the bench is pretty damn good. Mills and Belli are disposable.

venitian navigator
07-06-2019, 01:24 PM
White - Forbes - DDR - Gay - LMA (aka our five best players - role by role - last season)
DJM Walker Bertans Carroll Poeltl

White and Forbes have gained the right to start the season...during the season I hope both DJM and Walker show to be ok phisically and reliable as players...so they can take their place in the SL (because both are obviously the more phisically skilled and talented players)...

Pavlov
07-06-2019, 01:29 PM
Not really. Forbes, Bertans, and Walker lV off the bench is pretty damn good.Not nearly enough.

Dejounte
07-06-2019, 01:31 PM
Murray and Lonnie are a perfect combo together. Lonnie is a scorer only type player, and Murray rebounds, assists, plays defense. Lonnies got the explosiveness Murray lacks. Theyre perfect together.

NASpurs
07-06-2019, 01:33 PM
Revising due to rumors:

PG: Westbrook
SG: White
SF: Carroll

RD2191
07-06-2019, 01:48 PM
Revising due to rumors:

:lobt:

Spurs fever
07-06-2019, 02:23 PM
Murray
DeRozan
Carroll
Aldridge
Poetel

KimmyGib
07-06-2019, 02:33 PM
Westbrook
DDR
Gay
Aldridge
Cousins

:lol

Leetonidas
07-06-2019, 02:47 PM
Revising due to rumors:

:tu

monty4329
07-06-2019, 03:05 PM

Mostly the Spurs

monty4329
07-06-2019, 03:10 PM
I can't understand the Walker hype. He didn't show (so far) anything worth playing him meaningful minutes in the NBA, and still there's people wanting him to start? This is madness

spurraider21
07-06-2019, 03:17 PM
westbrook/white/carroll/aldridge/poodle

NASpurs
07-06-2019, 04:51 PM
Murray
Forbes
DeRozan
Morris
LaMarcus

Joseph Kony
07-06-2019, 04:51 PM
Ok so revised now:

Murray/White/Mills
DeRozan/Walker/Forbes
Carroll/Belinelli/Johnson
Morris/Gay/Samanic
LMA/Poeltl/Eubanks

spurraider21
07-06-2019, 04:55 PM
murray/white/derozan/morris/aldridge

timtonymanu
07-06-2019, 04:56 PM
Starting 5:

Murray
Forbes
Derozan
Morris
LMA

Bench:

White (Manu role)
Walker
Carroll
Gay
Poeltl

Towel waving duties:

Wombat
Beli
Johnson
Samanic
Metu

That roster looks very nice compared to a year ago.

TheGreatYacht
07-06-2019, 04:58 PM
White/Murray
DeRozan/Walker
Carroll/Johnson
Morris/Gay
Aldridge/Poeltl

That's a top 3 defense and Top 10 offense. Top 4 seed

r0drig0lac
07-06-2019, 05:09 PM
White/Murray
DeRozan/Walker
Carroll/Johnson
Morris/Gay
Aldridge/Poeltl

That's a top 3 defense and Top 10 offense. Top 4 seed

agree (maybe with Murray as starter)

John B
07-06-2019, 05:10 PM
Murray, White, Derozan, Morris, Aldridge
Lonnie, Forbes, Carroll, Gay, Poeltl

Millennial_Messiah
07-06-2019, 05:11 PM
Murray
DeRozan
Carroll
Aldridge
Poetel
that squad should average 100 a game and hold the other team to around 95 ppg even in today's NBA.

NASpurs
07-06-2019, 05:12 PM
Morris has to start. I just don't see how he wouldn't.

timtonymanu
07-06-2019, 05:16 PM
Morris has to start. I just don't see how he wouldn't.

Yeah he's the most ideal 4 for that spot. I'm interested in the guard situation though. Murray and White are givens, but Forbes proved a lot last season and I think they're sold on Lonnie. He will get more minutes this season. I really hope Pop lowers Wombat and Beli's roles but considering they're the kind of vets he loves to overplay, unfortunately, they will still get in the way of the other more deserving players. I can see Wombat as the backup PG still.

DAF86
07-06-2019, 05:17 PM
What I would like:

Murray, White, DeRozan, Morris, Aldridge.

Forbes, Walker, Carroll, Gay, Poeltl

Mills, Belinelli, Johnson, Samanic, ???

What I think Pop will do:

Murray/White, Forbes, DeRozan, Morris, Aldridge.

White/Murray, Mills, Carroll, Gay, Poeltl.

Walker, Belinelli, Johnson, Samanic, ???

GreekSpursfan
07-06-2019, 05:17 PM
Forbes ended the season better than any other Spur, he has to start imo.

NASpurs
07-06-2019, 05:18 PM
Yeah he's the most ideal 4 for that spot. I'm interested in the guard situation though. Murray and White are givens, but Forbes proved a lot last season and I think they're sold on Lonnie. He will get more minutes this season. I really hope Pop lowers Wombat and Beli's roles but considering they're the kind of vets he loves to overplay, unfortunately, they will still get in the way of the other more deserving players. I can see Wombat as the backup PG still.

How long before it takes Pop to realize that Morris should be starting and not someone like Rudy Gay, maybe give or take 20 games? Gay is fine abusing the other team's bench players.

TimDunkem
07-06-2019, 05:18 PM
What the Spurs should do, but probably not what Poop will do:

Murray/White
DeRozan/Walker
Carroll/Johnson
Morris/Gay
Aldridge/Poeltl

Pavlov
07-06-2019, 05:22 PM
Forbes ended the season better than any other Spur, he has to start imo.Unless/until White AND Murray become decent 3pt shooters, this is true.

timtonymanu
07-06-2019, 05:24 PM
Forbes ended the season better than any other Spur, he has to start imo.

Forbes will start. Murray and Derozan still aren't 3 point threats and the starting 5 needs a shooter. Plus I think White is gonna excel as the playmaker off the bench, and I was in the "start White" crew. Now if it lasts the whole year is another thing. If Lonnie really develops his game, I won't be surprised if he's the starting 2 at the end of the season. But right now Forbes has the spot.

timtonymanu
07-06-2019, 05:25 PM
How long before it takes Pop to realize that Morris should be starting and not someone like Rudy Gay, maybe give or take 20 games? Gay is fine abusing the other team's bench players.

I see Gay starting to begin the year. It won't last though. Thank God it's Carroll and Morris now and not G-Leaguers Cunningham and Pondexter.

RD2191
07-06-2019, 05:26 PM
Are we serious about Forbes starting? :lol thought y'all were fucking with me :lol

Shakril
07-06-2019, 05:26 PM
Makes the biggest sense. With Carrol and Poeltl 2 good defenders, Murray as Playmaker and defender and hopfefulla aldridge and derozean are able to be the scorers.

slick'81
07-06-2019, 05:27 PM
Murray,forbes,derozan,morris,lma
white,mills,gay,carrol,poodle
walker,belli,samanic,kj,???? Metu/qball

NASpurs
07-06-2019, 05:27 PM
I see Gay starting to begin the year. It won't last though. Thank God it's Carroll and Morris now and not G-Leaguers Cunningham and Pondexter.

Seriously, just got rid of those two + Bertans for Carroll and Morris. Now need to get rid of at least one of Mills or Beli and call it a day.

timtonymanu
07-06-2019, 05:28 PM
Are we serious about Forbes starting? :lol thought y'all were fucking with me :lol

We know Pop likes familiarity and Forbes did just fine in that role last season. If Murray's 3 point shot is actually legit, then it makes starting Forbes not as essential. The starting lineup needs at least 1 3 point shooter.

cd021
07-06-2019, 05:29 PM
Murray, DDR, Carroll, Morris, LMA
White, Forbes, Walker, Gay, Poeltl
Mills, Beli, Johnson, Samanic, Metu

raybies
07-06-2019, 05:29 PM
What I would like:

Murray, White, DeRozan, Morris, Aldridge.

Forbes, Walker, Carroll, Gay, Poeltl

Mills, Belinelli, Johnson, Samanic, ???

What I think Pop will do:

Murray/White, Forbes, DeRozan, Morris, Aldridge.

White/Murray, Mills, Carroll, Gay, Poeltl.

Walker, Belinelli, Johnson, Samanic, ???

NASpurs
07-06-2019, 05:30 PM

:lol I know you said "your starting 5" but I'm being realistic here as to what I think Pop's going to do.

timtonymanu
07-06-2019, 05:33 PM
I can't understand the Walker hype. He didn't show (so far) anything worth playing him meaningful minutes in the NBA, and still there's people wanting him to start? This is madness

No one was really sold on White last summer and look what happened there. Spurs draft picks tend to shine in Year 2 so let's give Lonnie the benefit of the doubt.

RC_Drunkford
07-06-2019, 05:35 PM
White
DeRozan
Carroll
Morris
Aldridge

RD2191
07-06-2019, 05:37 PM
:lol I know you said "your starting 5" but I'm being realistic here as to what I think Pop's going to do.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-HtjNEfPJ2jg/UFIaaoDCgFI/AAAAAAAAC5Y/ADjy05qvZ8s/w1200-h630-p-nu/Alonzo-Mourning.gif

GreekSpursfan
07-06-2019, 05:38 PM
Forbes will start. Murray and Derozan still aren't 3 point threats and the starting 5 needs a shooter. Plus I think White is gonna excel as the playmaker off the bench, and I was in the "start White" crew. Now if it lasts the whole year is another thing. If Lonnie really develops his game, I won't be surprised if he's the starting 2 at the end of the season. But right now Forbes has the spot.

If Forbes continues from where he left of i see no reason why he shouldn't start. Of course he needs to show consistency. Murray has to prove himself, i wouldn't start him, i would go with White, Forbes again.

DAF86
07-06-2019, 05:38 PM
No one was really sold on White last summer and look what happened there. Spurs draft picks tend to shine in Year 2 so let's give Lonnie the benefit of the doubt.

A lot of us were, tbh. We were even saying he was the Spurs' best guard back in his rookie season. The truth is White showed a lot more than Walker in G-league and summer ball.

Pavlov
07-06-2019, 05:41 PM
A lot of us were, tbh. We were even saying he was the Spurs' best guard back in his rookie season. The truth is White showed a lot more than Walker in G-league and summer ball.Man, if he hadn't shown more than a 19 year old I would've wanted him waived.

DAF86
07-06-2019, 05:50 PM
Man, if he hadn't shown more than a 19 year old I would've wanted him waived.

Totally irrelevant to the discussion we were having but ok.

Pavlov
07-06-2019, 05:51 PM
Totally irrelevant to the discussion we were having but ok.:lol you brought it up. Dude's old compared to Lonnie.

DAF86
07-06-2019, 06:00 PM
:lol you brought it up. Dude's old compared to Lonnie.

What did I bring up?

Pavlov
07-06-2019, 06:06 PM
What did I bring up?Holy shit, dude.

You compared him to Lonnie.

Period.

Do you not remember?

Are you having a stroke?

slick'81
07-06-2019, 06:10 PM
Holy shit, dude.

Period.

Do you not remember?

Are you having a stroke?

:lmao

DAF86
07-06-2019, 06:12 PM
Holy shit, dude.

Period.

Do you not remember?

Are you having a stroke?

I was talking about the age gap being irrelevant to the discussion I was having with the other poster that said that "no one was really sold on White" before last season. A lot of folks were Indeed sold on him and that's why they knew he would do good with the main team. 24 or 19 doesn't matter, either you are ready to produce right now or you aren't. You can bring the age argument for discussions about the future, tbh.

DAF86
07-06-2019, 06:14 PM
:lmao

I don't recommend you to bring yourself down to the intelectual level of Pavlov, tbh.

slick'81
07-06-2019, 06:15 PM
I don't recommend you to bring yourself down to the intelectual level of Pavlov (https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=7343), tbh.

sorry daf the stroke part made me laugh

Dennis the Menace
07-06-2019, 06:16 PM
We STACKED

DAF86
07-06-2019, 06:19 PM
sorry daf the stroke part made me laugh

It didn't make sense though.

First, I didn't bring up the White-Walker comparisson, timtonymanu did. Also, I clearly stated all along that the "age gap" thing was the irrelevant topic, and that one was brought up by Pavlov.

If there was a guy not following the thread of the conversation was him, tbh.

chunticakes
07-06-2019, 06:22 PM
Why do we play Derozan at small forward?!

PG - Murray/White
SG - Derozan/Forbes
SF - Morris/Carroll/Gay
PF - Aldridge
C - Poeltl

FkLA
07-06-2019, 06:29 PM
I would do:

White
DeRozan
Morris
Carroll
LMA

tbdog
07-06-2019, 06:34 PM

And White looked bad in the spurs FB pick-up game. Then he got injured. So it was a surprise what he ended getting out. Plus he pretty much outplayed Murray in the first round who got a max contract.

YoungbuckMurray
07-06-2019, 06:35 PM
Starters
Murray
forbes
DD
morris
LMA

beautiful game unit

white
walker
carroll
gay
poetl

situational
belli
mills
KJ (when he’s with the team)

SpurPadre
07-06-2019, 06:47 PM
We know Pop likes familiarity and Forbes did just fine in that role last season. If Murray's 3 point shot is actually legit, then it makes starting Forbes not as essential. The starting lineup needs at least 1 3 point shooter.

I will disagree that Forbes did fine as a starter. He's out of his element as a starter but the team was in a desperate situation. He was a net negative for most of the season but admittedly had a solid showing in the playoffs that did enough to merit him staying with the team...off the bench. The starting lineup needs a dependable 3 point shooter but not to the detriment of the other facets to the game. Simply put, he's undersized, a horrid defender, terrible passer, is a chucker and he belongs in the bench.

SpurPadre
07-06-2019, 06:49 PM
I still wouldn't be surprised if Poetl starts since LMA doesn't like to play at the 5.

Mr. Body
07-06-2019, 06:50 PM
I don't see how you don't start White.

Murray
White
DeRozan
Morris
LMA

The bench is super-intriguing. A lot of good players, very deep, and can be a handful against anybody. Morris instantly fixes the starting unit, no more Poetl or Bertans experiments. White is the PG, Murray is essentially the SG.

timtonymanu
07-06-2019, 06:52 PM
I will disagree that Forbes did fine as a starter. He's out of his element as a starter but the team was in a desperate situation. He was a net negative for most of the season but admittedly had a solid showing in the playoffs that did enough to merit him staying with the team...off the bench. The starting lineup needs a dependable 3 point shooter but not to the detriment of the other facets to the game. Simply put, he's undersized, a horrid defender, terrible passer, is a chucker and he belongs in the bench.

The team still made the playoffs and they almost got 50 wins with him starting. Yeah, sure it was a team effort but it's not like he was Roger Mason Jr bad out there. I would be fine with him coming off the bench, but we know Pop loves his wombat and wants to make sure he gets his playing time or it "won't be fair to the team." The only way I can see that happening is if Forbes starts. I'm convinced Murray is gonna start and White is gonna be the facilitator off the bench.

timtonymanu
07-06-2019, 06:54 PM

Murray
White
DeRozan
Morris
LMA

The bench is super-intriguing. A lot of good players, very deep, and can be a handful against anybody. Morris instantly fixes the starting unit, no more Poetl or Bertans experiments. White is the PG, Murray is essentially the SG.

Anything is possible with this roster. It's nice to have viable options other than relying on Dante/QP/washed up Pau. Really excited for this year's team.

Dennis the Menace
07-06-2019, 06:56 PM
Murray, White, Morris, Aldridge, Poetl

Is there a better 5 man defensive lineup in the NBA? This gonna be good

NASpurs
07-06-2019, 06:57 PM
White is 100% a starter but keeping Forbes away from the group of Mills and Beli is a must. You know Pop can't help himself playing Beli and Mills together. I would rather see Lonnie with Beli and Mills than Forbes. Honestly the guard situation is plentiful but logjammed.

timtonymanu
07-06-2019, 07:00 PM
White is 100% a starter but keeping Forbes away from the group of Mills and Beli is a must. You know Pop can't help himself playing Beli and Mills together. I would rather see Lonnie with Beli and Mills than Forbes. Honestly the guard situation is plentiful but logjammed.

Basically where I'm at too. You know Pop still overrates the hell out of Wombat and loves Beli cause he hit one shot against Miami in 2014. In an ideal world, the rotation would be

Murray/White/DeRozan/Morris/Aldridge
Forbes/Walker/Carroll/Gay/Poeltl

And then Patty as the towel waver, Beli in the Cunningham role. But we know it's not gonna happen :lol

SpurPadre
07-06-2019, 07:04 PM

Murray
White
DeRozan
Morris
LMA

I just don't know that Pop wants to play several players out of position. One of Murray or White will come off the bench depending on how things look in preseason.

Mr. Body
07-06-2019, 07:06 PM
I just don't know that Pop wants to play several players out of position. One of Murray or White will come off the bench depending on how things look in preseason.

The only player out of position is DeRozan and he can play a third guard / swingman position just fine.

Play Boban
07-06-2019, 07:14 PM
Poeltl has to start. Everyone who doesn’t have him at the 5 is low IQ tbh.

Dverde
07-06-2019, 07:14 PM
PATFO probably told Morris they envision him starting. Unlike salesman Doc Rivers, PATFO don’t guarantee spots. Pop will atleast see if it works at the start of the season. They’ll start Murray on the bench to limit his minutes initially.

Starters for game 1
White, Forbes, Derozan, Morris, LMA

Play Boban
07-06-2019, 07:15 PM
White
DeRozan
Morris
LMA
Poeltl

slick'81
07-06-2019, 07:20 PM

Can we get enough shooting outta murray,white and derozan as starters? Dont mind white as 6th man tbh but thats assuming murray is healthy enuff to start the season

timtonymanu
07-06-2019, 07:21 PM

Even if the Spurs ran a small ball lineup with Aldridge?

SpurPadre
07-06-2019, 07:21 PM
The only player out of position is DeRozan and he can play a third guard / swingman position just fine.

LMA has said multiple times that he prefers to play at the 4. White is a PG, Murray is a PG, and as you admit, DeRozan is a SG who has said that's his comfortable ppsition to play. It's not a huge problem but I could see why Pop would want to play them at their natural positions.

timtonymanu
07-06-2019, 07:22 PM
This has potential to be like the 2014 team where Splitter/Diaw took turns starting depending on the matchups.

Dejounte
07-06-2019, 07:24 PM

Exactly. You dont end the season last year with starting Poetl and moving away from it next season. There was a reason he was the undisputed starter.

SpurPadre
07-06-2019, 07:26 PM
This has potential to be like the 2014 team where Splitter/Diaw took turns starting depending on the matchups.

I can see that too.

Play Boban
07-06-2019, 07:42 PM
Even if the Spurs ran a small ball lineup with Aldridge?
Small ball = loser ball tbh. The Spurs won’t win with LMA at C.

Pavlov
07-06-2019, 11:24 PM
I was talking about the age gap being irrelevant to the discussion I was having with the other poster that said that "no one was really sold on White" before last season. A lot of folks were Indeed sold on him and that's why they knew he would do good with the main team. 24 or 19 doesn't matter, either you are ready to produce right now or you aren't. You can bring the age argument for discussions about the future, tbh.Of course age matters when you're comparing young players.

You continued the comparison. Sorry I didn't know someone else brought it up.

Look, you really, really want to be recognized for pimping the right players and you want to hipster liking White.

That's fine. You're going to be doing it forever. We get it.

You'll be sniffing Bertans' box scores for the rest of your life too and posting the good performances.

ZeusWillJudge
07-06-2019, 11:38 PM
I think a better question might be how many starting 5's we see before December, looking for the right mix. Pop will probably screw over me again, and bring out one starting unit for the whole season.

I would love to watch the reaction here if Pop jumped out on opening night with Mills as the starting PG. LJ and Kori would have to bring in people from the Suicide Hotline to patrol all the new threads. :lol

DAF86
07-06-2019, 11:42 PM
Of course age matters when you're comparing young players.

You continued the comparison. Sorry I didn't know someone else brought it up.

Look, you really, really want to be recognized for pimping the right players and you want to hipster liking White.

That's fine. You're going to be doing it forever. We get it.

You'll be sniffing Bertans' box scores for the rest of your life too and posting the good performances.

Problem is I wasn't discussing why White had a better performance than Walker in summer and G league (for which the age gap could be an explanation). I just argued that statement that said "no one was really sold on White" when a lot of us actually were. You just got into it with an irrelevant topic because that's what you like to do.

Pavlov
07-06-2019, 11:45 PM
Problem is I wasn't discussing why White had a better performance than Walker in summer and G league (for which the age gap could be an explanation). I just argued that statement that said "no one was really sold on White" when a lot of us actually were. You just got into it with an irrelevant topic because that's what you like to do.Oh, so you were talking about irrelevant things and didn't like it when other people did too?

I'm trying to understand why you're so indignant. It's just a message board.

DAF86
07-06-2019, 11:58 PM
Oh, so you were talking about irrelevant things and didn't like it when other people did too?

I'm trying to understand why you're so indignant. It's just a message board.

The old "it's just a message board" card when being caught saying something stupid. :lol

Sure, everything anyone does here is irrelevant. A guy could give a great analysis about something and that great analysis would still be "irrelevant" in the grand scheme of things because that guy isn't in a place of power. You had a different level of irrelevancy though. You just made a dumbass comment that had nothing to do with what was being argued. And then, you doubled down on dumbassery by not understanding why your comment was irrelevant, tbh. :lol

tbdog
07-06-2019, 11:59 PM
The more I think of it, the more I think we might have to keep Beli and Mills. We really need a few players we can draw up a 3 point play for. We only have Forbes currently.

Mr. Body
07-07-2019, 12:03 AM
I don't see Mills or Belli going anywhere, at least not yet. The Spurs culture is a real thing for the FO and Mills especially is important.

Pavlov
07-07-2019, 12:09 AM
The old "it's just a message board" card when being caught saying something stupid. :lol

Sure, everything anyone does here is irrelevant. A guy could give a great analysis about something and that great analysis would still be "irrelevant" in the grand scheme of things because that guy isn't in a place of power. You had a different level of irrelevancy though. You just made a dumbass comment that had nothing to do with what was being argued. And then, you doubled down on dumbassery by not understanding why your comment was irrelevant, tbh. :lolNo, I didn't understand why you're so bent out of shape about one sentence from me.

Still don't.

That's why I said it's just a message board.

You kinda doubled down on getting bent out of shape tbh. You do you.:lol

DAF86
07-07-2019, 12:14 AM
Capitulation duly noted son.

Pavlov
07-07-2019, 12:16 AM
Capitulation dully noted son.Seems important to you, son.

Only one l in duly, son.

You declared victory dully.

DAF86
07-07-2019, 12:20 AM
Seems important to you, son.

Only one l in duly, son.

You declared victory dully.

I know son, that's why I corrected it right after my cellphone fucked up. Problem of multilinguals, tbh.

Pavlov
07-07-2019, 12:20 AM
I know son, that's why I corrected it right after my cellphone fucked up. Problem of multilinguals, tbh.Excuse dully given,son.

paperboy77
07-07-2019, 12:57 AM
Don't know but everyone's got Murray as the PG. Really hope the guy used his time wisely. Last time he was the PG..... Manu was still the go to PG. That offense is going to be a complete clusterfuck if Pop lets "the last iteration of Murray" run the show. This kid when last seen healthy sucked at PG. We'll see of course but White was really good at setting up the Offense.

If the Old Murray is the same then the starting 5 should be:

* White - PG
* I'd put goddam Walker in there - Wing
* DD - Wing
* LaMarsha - PF (Soft ass PF unless she's on the rag!)
* Jakob. Dude earned his stripes last year. As the year went on he also seemed to earn the respect of the refs WHICH IS SUPER CRUCIAL FOR THE NEW GUYS!

** Kelden kinda looks to me like a Bowen. If our D sux, insert that guy please.

* All-around (3 & D for sure) As of last year... better PG than anyone.
* Just put him there and see what happens. The kid has the look... so FI.
* Have to. Plus the guy can really play. Second year with SA should be an improvement.
* Love me some Jakob but LA will freak out if he ain't "the-man" and PF is his thang.
* Jakob. This MFr is very good defensively. The guy surprised a lot of opponents all year. Might be (should be) improved on O.

Bench:

** Murray. Let's see what he can do. (Easily could be bumped up to the starting unit and replace Walker.
** Forbes. As unpopular as he is with me, the guy proved his stay last year. (Should trade this guy while the NBA world remembers him as an over-comer.)
** Carrol. Proven vet.... albeit with a shitty leg injury. Might put it all together again and ball.
** Rudy Gay. In this lineup... the guy has some help. If he aint rolling and dominating like he can (vs 2nd units).. then insert Belly.
** Morris. PF with some balls that will play Center with some balls. Plus the guy can play. Not sure if he's the better Morris twin but we'll see.

*** Kelden kinda looks to me like a Bowen. If our D sux, insert that guy please.

Anyone i didn't list is going to be a plus. Mills, belly, and who the fuck ever should be used sparingly.

Fucken Pop's got options if he isn't as senile as we say he is. This could be a dark horse in the west. 57 win potential if they can solve the road woes. They picked up some vets who should help. That and the new guys are a year older.

DC23
07-07-2019, 12:59 AM
SF: DeMar Derozan
PF: Marcus Morris
C: LaMarcus Aldridge

Hyperhypo
07-07-2019, 03:31 AM
how you guys arent putting Murray in the Starting Lineup is crazy to me. That guy is really good.

GreekSpursfan
07-07-2019, 03:35 AM
how you guys arent putting Murray in the Starting Lineup is crazy to me. That guy is really good.

How do you know that, he's a complete unknown coming of an injury. We hope he's really good, we don't know shit.

k830713
07-07-2019, 04:07 AM
White, DDR, Carroll, Morris, LMA
Murray, Forbes, Beli, Gay, Poeltl
Mills, Walker, Johnson, Samanic, Metu

r0drig0lac
07-07-2019, 06:48 AM

relax he will be a starter

D-Robinson 50 fan
07-07-2019, 07:02 AM
Murray
Forbes
DeRozan
Morris
LaMarcus

I think this is Pop's starting lineup listed above. Pop's bench crew is listed below

White
Mills
Carroll/ Walker
Gay
Poeltl

4lifecowboy
07-07-2019, 07:18 AM
I think this is Pop's starting lineup listed above. Pop's bench crew is listed below

White
Mills
Carroll/ Walker
Gay
Poeltl

I agree, with the exception of Walker being behind Mills in the rotation.

CGD
07-07-2019, 08:32 AM
Revising due to rumors:

What rumors?? I pray they are wrong. Don’t want that contract. Let him go to knicks or heat

ceperez
07-07-2019, 08:38 AM
Standard Disclaimer: Depends on the match-up.

But regular season line up looks like this:

Murray
Forbes
DeRozan
Morris
Aldridge

---------

White
Mills
Caroll
Gay
Poetl

----
Bench: Belinelli, Johnson, Walker, Eubanks (2-way)

----
Reserves: Samanic, Metu, Weatherspoon (2-way)

tmtcsc
07-07-2019, 09:23 AM

Because some of us think DJ's talk & selfies are bigger than his game. That, and he hasn't proven shit as a PG. Derrick White is head and shoulders a much better, complete player than Murray. It probably won't happen but I think the dude needs to come off the bench and prove himself worthy of starting. White earned the starting nod but needs to work on being consistent.

SpursDynasty85
07-07-2019, 11:34 AM
Murray, Forbes, DeRozan, Morris, Aldridge - smaller lineups

Murray, DeRozan, Morris, Aldridge, Poeltl -larger lineups

Personally I would still like to see White starting over Forbes. I want to see him play more shooting gaurd.

Fusternino
07-07-2019, 11:41 AM
Murray/Forbes/DDR/Morris/LMA

Forbes gets to play with a big PG.

White/Walker/Carroll/Gay/Poeltl

Mills/Marco/Johnson/Samanic/Metu

Expect Johnson to get immediate minutes, tbh.

MannyIsGod
07-07-2019, 02:25 PM
Problem is I wasn't discussing why White had a better performance than Walker in summer and G league (for which the age gap could be an explanation). I just argued that statement that said "no one was really sold on White" when a lot of us actually were. You just got into it with an irrelevant topic because that's what you like to do.

You weren't sold on White, you were guessing White was going to be good. There's a fundamental difference. White had done absolutely nothing for anyone to be sold on him prior to last season. His first month of play was pretty damn horrible in that season as well. Then it clicked, and he started playing much better.

But doing well in G League and Summer league games alone isn't worthy of being labeled a team's best guard. It's like people who have already anointed Keldon Johnson as a good NBA player. Maybe he will be, but anyone declaring it now as a certainty isn't some great basketball mind. They're just guessing. People love to point out when their guesses turn out well and act like they are smart basketball minds but unless you show your work and explaining the reasoning with something concrete then it just doesn't mean much at all.

emanueldavidginobili
07-07-2019, 02:27 PM
With this current roster Mills and Beli shouldn’t see the court unless garbage time or everyone’s in foul trouble tbh

MannyIsGod
07-07-2019, 02:32 PM
I'd start the following:

Murray/White/Demar/Morris/LMA

That gives you 3 capable 3 point shooters in that lineup, allows switching on a lot of pick and roll action, and as players capable of getting their own shot. Its super flexible and its only shortcoming is you wish for more 3 point shooting out of Murray and DeRozan.

To start the season, 2nd lineup will probably be Mills/Forbes/Walker/Carrol/Poetl/Gay. Maybe Mills is the one out here but I have a hard time believing that Pop will send him to the end of the bench (plus he adds more value than the forum gives him credit for). Still, he's probably the weak link there.

DAF86
07-07-2019, 04:06 PM
You weren't sold on White, you were guessing White was going to be good. There's a fundamental difference. White had done absolutely nothing for anyone to be sold on him prior to last season. His first month of play was pretty damn horrible in that season as well. Then it clicked, and he started playing much better.

But doing well in G League and Summer league games alone isn't worthy of being labeled a team's best guard. It's like people who have already anointed Keldon Johnson as a good NBA player. Maybe he will be, but anyone declaring it now as a certainty isn't some great basketball mind. They're just guessing. People love to point out when their guesses turn out well and act like they are smart basketball minds but unless you show your work and explaining the reasoning with something concrete then it just doesn't mean much at all.

I don't know why the fuck timvp doesn't allow people to search for threads anymore but there's one from MaNu4Tres where he called White the best Spurs guard back in 2018 when he was a rookie, and a lot of folks, myself included, agreed with him. If that's not being sold on him I don't know what is, tbh.

vavvi
07-07-2019, 04:14 PM
I'd start the following:

That gives you 3 capable 3 point shooters in that lineup, allows switching on a lot of pick and roll action, and as players capable of getting their own shot. Its super flexible and its only shortcoming is you wish for more 3 point shooting out of Murray and DeRozan.

To start the season, 2nd lineup will probably be Mills/Forbes/Walker/Carrol/Poetl/Gay. Maybe Mills is the one out here but I have a hard time believing that Pop will send him to the end of the bench (plus he adds more value than the forum gives him credit for). Still, he's probably the weak link there.

Agree on the starting line-up but I would play White-Murray the same way HOU plays Harden/Paul. Meaning one of White/Murray is always out there. They both start but one gets subbed quickly. So there will be a lot of, say, Murray - Forbes - DDR - Morris - LMA and White - Mills (Belli or Walker) - Carroll - Gay - Poeltl

GreekSpursfan
07-07-2019, 04:21 PM
I'd start the following:

I see only one capable 3pt shooter and even that is debatable(Morris) the others are mediocre to bad. Unfortunately for some, not for me, Forbes has to be in the starting line up.

D-Robinson 50 fan
07-07-2019, 04:23 PM
Because some of us think DJ's talk & selfies are bigger than his game. That, and he hasn't proven shit as a PG. Derrick White is head and shoulders a much better, complete player than Murray. It probably won't happen but I think the dude needs to come off the bench and prove himself worthy of starting. White earned the starting nod but needs to work on being consistent.

I agree with all the above besides him moving to the bench because he isn't really a point guard. I think the reason he starts is because he isn't as good as a point guard. DeRozan can handle the ball more like he did this season with Murray starting and white could QB the bench unit taking the ball out of Mills hands. Murray in my opinion would be worse unless they run more with the bench squad due to them relying on him to run the squad

MannyIsGod
07-07-2019, 05:58 PM
I don't know why the fuck timvp (https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=8) doesn't allow people to search for threads anymore but there's one from MaNu4Tres (https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=5714) where he called White the best Spurs guard back in 2018 when he was a rookie, and a lot of folks, myself included, agreed with him. If that's not being sold on him I don't know what is, tbh.

Because of what I said. Y'all had nothing to go off of in 2018 to make that statement. Its a guess. I'm not saying that y'all didn't say those things' I'm saying that because its a guess its meaningless.

BlackAndWhite
07-07-2019, 06:08 PM
Should Derozan play the point guard while surrounding him with 3 shooters and LA. Besides white, he's the only guy on the team that can really run the offense. Players like Murray and Walker aren't as capable as what he did last season.

JADG79
07-07-2019, 06:22 PM
Murray
DeRozan
Morris
Aldridge
Poeltl

I think DeRozan can return to SG and Derrick lead 2nd unit.

Pavlov
07-07-2019, 06:42 PM
To start the season....

Murray
Forbes
DeRozan
Morris
Aldridge

White
Mills
Carroll
Gay
Poeltl

Sprinkle Lonnie and Marco in there for Mills or Carroll as needed.

Then start experimenting.

Nivek_ogre
07-07-2019, 06:51 PM
Forget playing two bigs.
Murray/White
Derozan /Forbes
Carroll/Walker
Morris /Gay
Aldridge /Poeltl

B1gduff
07-07-2019, 07:05 PM
Dj
Forbes
DD
Morris
LA

Nivek_ogre
07-07-2019, 08:36 PM
As much as I rather start murray and white I think derozan shouldn't play full time small forward anymore. It wore him down during the season. Also takes away his height advantage. If we're stuck with him then play him at his natural position and not set him up to fail.

MaNu4Tres
07-07-2019, 08:42 PM
Because of what I said. Y'all had nothing to go off of in 2018 to make that statement. Its a guess. I'm not saying that y'all didn't say those things' I'm saying that because its a guess its meaningless.

I had plenty to go off of. Been watching this game for 25 years, and White had rare all around set of tools the guards did not have in 17/18. I watched just about every Austin game of his.

Not guessing.

ceperez
07-07-2019, 08:46 PM
Let's be honest here, with addition of Caroll, Morris, 2 sophomores and 3 rookies ( 7 players! ) the team is loaded with talent.

The lineups will depend on which players play best with each other and compliment the strengths and hide the weakness of others.

cutewizard
07-08-2019, 03:15 AM
Aldridge
Morris
Murray
White
DeRozan

Dhbsr555
07-08-2019, 03:18 AM
Aldridge
Morris
Murray
White
DeRozan
this is what I’m hopeful for.

cutewizard
07-08-2019, 03:19 AM
To start the season....

Murray
Forbes
DeRozan
Morris
Aldridge

White
Mills
Carroll
Gay
Poeltl

Sprinkle Lonnie and Marco in there for Mills or Carroll as needed.

Then start experimenting.

---------------------

Would you play Samanic??

cutewizard
07-08-2019, 03:20 AM
How about.................

Murray
Marco Beli
DeRozan
Morris
Aldridge

White
Forbes
Carroll
Gay
Poeltl

Dhbsr555
07-08-2019, 03:22 AM
I’m amazed how many of y’all are leaving walker out . He will get his minutes.

spurraider21
07-08-2019, 03:22 AM
---------------------

Would you play Samanic??
in austin

cutewizard
07-08-2019, 03:23 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRyE6xthikg

XDT76
07-08-2019, 12:05 PM
How about.................

Murray
Marco Beli
DeRozan
Morris
Aldridge

White
Forbes
Carroll
Gay
Poeltl

I would like to swap Belinelli with Carroll/Gay, it gives the SL a bit more defense and allows DDR to play SG with a smaller wing guarding him. This will also allow the 2nd team more movement to execute the good to great bball.

RiverwalkParade
07-08-2019, 12:13 PM
Murray
DDR
Morris
Gay
LMA

White
Forbes
Walker
Carroll
Poetl

Weatherspoon
Beli
KJ
Samanic

Mills is odd man out, trade at deadline for C depth

DAF86
07-08-2019, 02:03 PM

Or maybe we saw things you didn't see, tbh.

MannyIsGod
07-08-2019, 05:32 PM
Or maybe we saw things you didn't see, tbh.

Maybe, or maybe you really hadn't seen him play much and were just guessing. You certainly hadn't seen him play much against NBA competition.

Everyone is an expert on everything on this site. No one can ever admit they just don't know anything. It's like on draft night when everyone is an expert on players they never saw play because they watched a highlight clip (if even that) on Youtube.

cjw
07-08-2019, 05:43 PM
I’d go with:
Murray/Demar/Carroll/Morris/Aldridge to start, though I bet you we see either Forbes or White in there instead of Carroll. Bench lineups are crappier defensively so White/Gay/Poeltl plus two of Forbes/Mills/Beli/Walker should feast.

Minutes will be staggered a bit and would be okay closing with White or Gay in place of some of the starters depending on the situation.

I think you’re going to see a fair amount of load management this year for Derozan and Aldridge. Assuming no injuries, both should be playing 66-68 games. It’s less about keeping minutes down in any specific game but more about occasional nights off. Having them fresher come April will determine how far the team can go. Would need Morris to play backup C or bring up Eubanks those games.

Making sure different guys get different nights off is something you can do with a deep roster like this, and you’re not in a position where you’re running Demar into the ground because Murray is out of for the year and White out a few weeks. West is going to be a bloodbath and other teams will spend a ton of energy just to make the postseason.

ironman2886
07-08-2019, 05:49 PM
White has to start for his 3point shooting and defense. Dont really want Carroll or Gay to start.

Murray
White
Demar
Morris
Lamarcus

DAF86
07-08-2019, 09:52 PM
Maybe, or maybe you really hadn't seen him play much and were just guessing. You certainly hadn't seen him play much against NBA competition.

Everyone is an expert on everything on this site. No one can ever admit they just don't know anything. It's like on draft night when everyone is an expert on players they never saw play because they watched a highlight clip (if even that) on Youtube.

Yeah, I guess a lot of folks saying he was already the best Spurs' guard was just coincidence. It's not that we saw something special.

MannyIsGod
07-08-2019, 11:48 PM
Yeah, I guess a lot of folks saying he was already the best Spurs' guard was just coincidence. It's not that we saw something special.

There are a lot of people who say all kinds of shit. It doesn't make it correct or well thought out. If that's your best defense then lol.

DAF86
07-09-2019, 12:04 AM
There are a lot of people who say all kinds of shit. It doesn't make it correct or well thought out. If that's your best defense then lol.

Ok, we just got lucky I guess.

Babyboy
07-09-2019, 03:07 AM
Murray/white
demar/Forbes/mills
Morris/walker/beli
carol/gay
lamarcus/poetl

4lifecowboy
07-09-2019, 04:50 AM
So many want White to start, he won't regardless. Pop values the 2nd string as much as the 1st. Having he and Murray start weakens the bench, leaves them without a floor general. Same reason Walker won't start, Derozan cancels him out. Both play the same role on this team.

vavvi
07-09-2019, 04:58 AM
So many want White to start, he won't regardless. Pop values the 2nd string as much as the 1st. Having he and Murray start weakens the bench, leaves them without a floor general. Same reason Walker won't start, Derozan cancels him out. Both play the same role on this team.

But why not play Houston style with Murray and White?

kobyz
07-09-2019, 06:29 AM
Russ/White
DeMar/Keldon/Weatherspoon
DeMarre/Korver/Hanga
Morris/Gay/Lyles
LMA/Milutinov/Semanic

szkorhetz
07-09-2019, 06:34 AM
Murray/Mills
White/Walker/Forbes
DeMar/Carrol/Belli/Keldon
Morris/Gay/Samanic
LMA/Poetl

RD2191
07-09-2019, 05:51 PM
Back to the drawing board fellas :lol

Dhbsr555
07-09-2019, 05:55 PM
We can scratch Morris out

timtonymanu
07-09-2019, 06:22 PM
Assuming the Beli trade doesn't happen, and the team brings in Eubanks as the 3rd C.

LMA/Carroll/Derozan/White/Murray

Poeltl/Gay/Walker/Forbes/Mills

Eubanks?/Samanic/Beli/KJ/QW

Would have been a better team with Morris, but fuck it. Still a playoff team. As long as the young 3 are around, the ceiling is high.

RD2191
07-11-2019, 07:03 PM
Y'all got Lyles starting?

Dhbsr555
07-11-2019, 07:10 PM
Y'all got Lyles starting?
Pop likes gay coming off the bench so I could see this

Spurs Brazil
07-11-2019, 07:14 PM
Murray/White
Forbes/Walker
DeRozan/Gay
Carroll/Lyles
Aldridge/Poetl

Joseph Kony
07-11-2019, 07:16 PM
Lyles is not good enough on D and his shooting was meh last year so he's not starting material. This pretty much forces either Gay to start at PF, or for Poeltl to start next to LA with DD at the SF and probably Forbes at SG

so with recent events, and considering the summer league, this is what im guessing we'll see next year

Murray/White/Mills
Forbes/Walker/Belinelli
DeRozan/Carroll/Johnson
Aldridge/Gay/Lyles/Samanic/Metu
Poeltl/Eubanks

Spurs will probably run a lot of 3 guard lineups. I imagine if Poeltl starts it'll likely be him with LA only for the first few minutes of both halves.

I would prefer if the spurs ran a smaller unit, this is what i would like to see:

Murray/Forbes/Mills
White/Walker/Belinelli
DeRozan/Johnson
Carrol/Gay/Lyles/Metu
LMA/Poeltl/Eubanks

timtonymanu
07-11-2019, 07:18 PM
I see it like this to start the season:

Poeltl/LMA/Derozan/White/Murray

Lyles/Gay/Carroll/Walker/Coffee

Metu/Beli/Forbes

Samanic/KJ/Weatherspoon in Austin

Hopefully Beli is used in a trade for less redundancy on the roster.

slick'81
07-11-2019, 08:02 PM
Poodle/ lyles
Lma/carrol
derozan/gay
forbes/walker
White/Murray

luka,beli,kj,q,ewwbanks,mills

RD2191
10-23-2019, 11:31 AM
Bump

timtonymanu
10-23-2019, 11:33 AM
I see it like this to start the season:

Poeltl/LMA/Derozan/White/Murray

Lyles/Gay/Carroll/Walker/Coffee

Metu/Beli/Forbes

Samanic/KJ/Weatherspoon in Austin

Hopefully Beli is used in a trade for less redundancy on the roster.

I was way off.

Looks like it will be: LMA/Lyles/Derozan/Forbes/Murray or Poeltl in place of Lyles when the team goes bigger

RC_Drunkford
10-23-2019, 11:36 AM
Murray
Forbes
DeRozan
Carroll/Lyles
LMA

the 2 big line up with Aldridge and Poeltl is atrocious. Offensive rating dips 11 points when they play together

RD2191
10-23-2019, 11:36 AM
Bump

timtonymanu
10-23-2019, 11:38 AM
Fucking Morris. We can't even use Bertans as a placeholder since we traded him for that dumbass that bailed.

RC_Drunkford
10-23-2019, 11:39 AM
Fucking Morris. We can't even use Bertans as a placeholder since we traded him for that dumbass that bailed.

Morris/Gay/LMA front court would've been vicious

timtonymanu
10-23-2019, 11:41 AM
Morris/Gay/LMA front court would've been vicious

Yep just bad luck for the Spurs since Nephew went down with an injury 2 years ago in the WCF.

NASpurs
10-23-2019, 11:56 AM
:lol anyone not having Forbes starting. That one was pretty obvious three months ago.

spurspl
10-23-2019, 01:51 PM
murray/green/leonard/caroll/LMA

spurraider21
10-23-2019, 02:36 PM
i had murray/white starting together, oh well