PDA

View Full Version : Could we do a 'Michael Finley trade' with Bellineli and/or Mills to open things up?

wildbill2u
07-06-2019, 01:04 PM
Michael Finley had a long and successful career with Dallas, but they decided to move on without him. He had a contract worth 144 million as I recall, but the Spurs were able to take him on the roster, paying him the minimum, with Dallas paying the rest per their huge contract.

At least that's the way I remember it.

It's probably time for both of these guys to go if we can find a way to do it. If we were paying most of Mills' salary, he could be a good asset for some team as a bench player. Bellineli show the peril of hiring a long time vet in the hope he has something left in the tank. He'll be able to shoot 3s intermittently into his 90s, but the legs are gone and he can't defend from a wheelchair.

Findley wanted a shot at a championship and he got it with the Spurs. It was a good move for us. It didn't look too good for Dallas, but they wanted to cut the cord I guess.

Dex
07-06-2019, 01:09 PM
Michael Finley had a long and successful career with Dallas, but they decided to move on without him. He had a contract worth 144 million as I recall, but the Spurs were able to take him on the roster, paying him the minimum, with Dallas paying the rest per their huge contract.

At least that's the way I remember it.

It's probably time for both of these guys to go if we can find a way to do it. If we were paying most of Mills' salary, he could be a good asset for some team as a bench player. Bellineli show the peril of hiring a long time vet in the hope he has something left in the tank. He'll be able to shoot 3s intermittently into his 90s, but the legs are gone and he can't defend from a wheelchair.

Findley wanted a shot at a championship and he got it with the Spurs. It was a good move for us. It didn't look too good for Dallas, but they wanted to cut the cord I guess.

No, because Dallas used the one-time amnesty on Finley. That is how the Spurs were able to pick him up on the cheap.

No one wants Mills on the contract he is currently on, and the Spurs would have to give up assets to move him.

Big P
07-06-2019, 01:11 PM
At this point if the FO is really not going to extend DD, which I hope they don't.... we are going to have to wait two years and reload in 21-22'.

SpursDynasty85
07-06-2019, 01:27 PM
At this point if the FO is really not going to extend DD, which I hope they don't.... we are going to have to wait two years and reload in 21-22'.

I really think, especially because of the timing of our younger talent and the injury to Murray, Spurs FO wont make this call until next offseason. They will want to see how DeRozan and the younger guys play together. The reason they traded for DeRozan imo, is his character and his willingness to fully embrace a culture and a city like SA and help mentor young guys. I'm hoping it does work out so we can see at least a competitive western conference finals in the next year or two. I'm not sure if any team, the way the NBA needs shooters, would be willing to max out DeRozan. I believe his market will be more closee to 20-25 M which would only be roughly 15%-20% of the cap during extensiom years. I can see Spurs giving him an extension similar to what Aldridge last got if things workout this year.