PDA

View Full Version : Current depth chart?

JH22
07-06-2019, 08:20 PM
Damn we are deep.

Starters:

C- Jacob Poeltl
PF- LaMarcus Aldridge
SF- Demarre Carroll
SG- DeMar DeRozen
PG- Dejounte Murray

Bench:

PF- Marcus Morris
PF- Luka Samanic*
PF- Chimezie Metu

SF- Rudy Gay

PG- Patty Mills
PG- Bryn Forbes

SG- Derrick White
SG- Marco Belinelli
SG- Lonnie Walker
SG- Keldon Johnson*

tesseractive
07-07-2019, 02:14 AM
Starters:

C- LaMarcus Aldridge
PF- Marcus Morris
SF- DeMar DeRozen
G- Derrick White
PG- Dejounte Murray

Bench rotation:

C- Jacob Poeltl
PF- Rudy Gay
SF- Demarre Carroll
SG- Bryn Forbes

Plus possibly:

SG- Lonnie Walker

Third string:

PG- Patty Mills
SG- Marco Belinelli

Austin:

PF- Luka Samanic
PF- Chimezie Metu
SF- Keldon Johnson

Two-way:

PF- Drew Eubanks
SG- Quinndary Weatherspoon

Dhbsr555
07-07-2019, 02:24 AM
If white starts poodle will not start.. it’s just not gonna happen

alpha_HaZE
07-07-2019, 02:26 AM
I think is like this:

Dejounte/White/Patty
Bryn/Lonnie/Keldon
DeMar/DeMarre/Beli
Morris/Gay/Luka
LMA/Jakob/Eubanks

Having fingers crossed for Lonnie.

However, there are two lineups that I am the most excited about:

Dejounte, Derrick, DeMarre, Morris and Jakob

and

Dejounte, Derrick, Lonnie, Morris and Jakob.

BackHome
07-07-2019, 02:40 AM
You
Starters:

C- LaMarcus Aldridge
PF- Marcus Morris
SF- DeMar DeRozen
G- Derrick White
PG- Dejounte Murray

Bench rotation:

C- Jacob Poeltl
PF- Rudy Gay
SF- Demarre Carroll
SG- Bryn Forbes

Plus possibly:

SG- Lonnie Walker

Third string:

PG- Patty Mills
SG- Marco Belinelli

Austin:

PF- Luka Samanic
PF- Chimezie Metu
SF- Keldon Johnson

Two-way:

PF- Drew Eubanks
SG- Quinndary Weatherspoon

Dhbsr555
07-07-2019, 02:45 AM
I’d be shocked if white doesn’t start

venitian navigator
07-07-2019, 02:56 AM
White Forbes DDR Morris LMA
DJM Walker Carroll Gay Poeltl
Mills Belli KJ Metu Samanic

Two way Weatherspoon/Eubanks

GreekSpursfan
07-07-2019, 03:26 AM
On paper we are deep but we have quantity not quality and thats a problem when its time to get it done.

tbdog
07-07-2019, 04:05 AM
I see it as both. Beli is like the bottom of the rotation and he was used extensively. Obviously White's progression and Murray's recovery is the upmost importance. Carroll and Morris are both playoff worthy rotational players. Hopefully Mills regains some form as he'll play is one dimensional role again.

John B
07-07-2019, 05:43 AM
Murray, Demar, Morris, Aldridge, Poeltl
White, Forbes, Carroll, Gay, Metu?
Walker, Mills, Belli,

First off the bench
Gay for Poeltl, Forbes for Morris, to play smallball, Murray/Forbes/Demar/Gay/Aldridge
Either White or Murray will always be in to facilitate
Excited to see Murray, White, Walker, Demar, Gay/Morris.
Our depth has sick small ball combinations who can run.

Closer
Murray, White, Demar, Morris, Aldridge

Austin
Johnson
Luka
Metu?

2-Way
Queen Dairy
Eubanks

Depending on Metu’s improvement this summer, I seriously think Spurs are not done yet. They need to move Belli/Metu for a backup big. Neither Metu(?), definitely not Eubanks, can guard an athletic big. Maybe Robinson?

I’m stoked with Poeltl’s development as big defender, rim protector. Hopefully he patterns his defense with Marc Gasol

4lifecowboy
07-07-2019, 06:40 AM
Murray and White are not starting in the same backcourt I am quite sure of that. One of them is gonna have to lead the 2nd unit. Morris should be an automatic starter, along with Derozan and Aldridge. So my guess would be.
Murray/White/Mills
Forbes/ Walker
Derozan/Carroll/Belinelli
Morris/Gay
Aldridge/ Poeltl

dbestpro
07-07-2019, 06:48 AM
At least to start the season, Murray and White will start together, as Pop wants to see what he has and tries to build chemistry between the two. He will also tinker with many three guard sets. If the young guys do not take control, then come January, we will see more of Mills, Gay, Belinelli, Morris and Carroll. All of these vets sets the Spurs up nicely for an upgrade trade come mid-season.

ceperez
07-07-2019, 06:59 AM
Team is stacked and can give multiple looks against an opponent.

There are less holes in defense. The defense have more guys who can bang it up. The defense has enough mobility and size against small ball play.

Spurs should be able to make it to the playoffs despite a very competitive Western conference.

JeffDuncan
07-07-2019, 07:29 AM
Murray and White are not starting in the same backcourt I am quite sure of that. One of them is gonna have to lead the 2nd unit. Morris should be an automatic starter, along with Derozan and Aldridge. So my guess would be.
Murray/White/Mills
Forbes/ Walker
Derozan/Carroll/Belinelli
Morris/Gay
Aldridge/ Poeltl

Or:

1a Murray -- 1b White
2a Forbes -- 2b Mills / Belinelli
3a DDR -- 3b Carroll
4a Gay -- 4b Morris
5a LMA -- 5b Poeltl

Walker is not yet ready to step into the rotation. Maybe by January.

Gay should have the start until Morris gets up to speed, then they could switch.

Agreed about not starting Murray and White together. Because, as you say, who is then playing pg for the bench? The other alternatives are too inferior. A well run bench is important to make it through the 82 game grind of the rs.

It's best if the #2 guard is a 3pt shooter.

Drewlius
07-07-2019, 11:04 AM
It seems like a lot of the proposed starting lineups still have DDR at SF. Do Carroll & Morris not spread the floor enough at SF/PF respectively to allow Derozan to play at his natural SG position? I’m honestly over the Derozan at SF project, I think it causes too much of a liability on defense. Keep in mind, I’m also assuming Murray’s 3pt shot has improved as we keep seeing/hearing about, so that’s additional range out of the PG slot as well.

Obviously this could also just be the only functional way to roll out a Starting Lineup that allows for a SF(Carroll) to come off the bench since we don’t have a back-up in the Derozan at SG situation? At the very least it would be nice if we could find a way to close games with DDR at SG.

paperboy77
07-07-2019, 04:53 PM
Gonna be hard and require an reason if Spurs brass decide not to give Kelden some run. The guy is an absolute pest on defense! Yeah its SL but hustle like that translates as long as you have the physical tools which he does.

RC_Drunkford
07-07-2019, 05:25 PM
It seems like a lot of the proposed starting lineups still have DDR at SF. Do Carroll & Morris not spread the floor enough at SF/PF respectively to allow Derozan to play at his natural SG position? I’m honestly over the Derozan at SF project, I think it causes too much of a liability on defense. Keep in mind, I’m also assuming Murray’s 3pt shot has improved as we keep seeing/hearing about, so that’s additional range out of the PG slot as well.

Obviously this could also just be the only functional way to roll out a Starting Lineup that allows for a SF(Carroll) to come off the bench since we don’t have a back-up in the Derozan at SG situation? At the very least it would be nice if we could find a way to close games with DDR at SG.

I see it the same way, I think Pop starts 2 forwards with Aldridge and then DeRozan at SG with White or Murray at PG and the other one coming off the bench. The bench SG is either Mills or Forbes with Walker or Belinelli at SF and either Gay or Carroll at PF. Poeltl at Center. Marcus Morris is a lock for the starting line up

Pavlov
07-07-2019, 05:38 PM
I see it the same way, I think Pop starts 2 forwards with Aldridge and then DeRozan at SG with White or Murray at PG and the other one coming off the bench. The bench SG is either Mills or Forbes with Walker or Belinelli at SF and either Gay or Carroll at PF. Poeltl at Center. Marcus Morris is a lock for the starting line upYou'd pretty much have to start Carroll and Morris if you're moving DDR to SG because that's the only way to guarantee anything close to good spacing -- then the bench unit gets pretty bad defensively.

I'd save those bigger lineups for later in some games. Forcing a DDR matchup problem late could pay dividends before they could adjust.

Still thinking Forbes starts until White or Murray get much better at shooting threes. YMMV.

cd021
07-07-2019, 05:52 PM
Murray, Forbes, DDR, Morris, LMA
Mills, White, Carroll, Gay, Poeltl
Walker, Beli, Johnson, Samanic, Metu

offset formation
07-07-2019, 06:08 PM
Mills is far more effective when he plays SG than PG. Having others that can play PG this season like Murray, and hell even Walker and Keldon should help him be the player PATFO signed. He's just not a natural PG. He needs to be the spot up shooter that catches wide open shots due to ball movement that also does some backdoor cuts for easy layups -- not the player rolling around a screen and launching it. He's not useful in that manner.

RC_Drunkford
07-07-2019, 06:42 PM
I kinda like to see a White/DeRozan/Morris/Gay/Aldridge line up. That's a dangerous line up where everybody can get their own shot to close out the game. And you could swap 1-4 with Dejounte depending how good he is. A White/Murray/Morris/Carroll/Aldridge line up for stops is pretty good too. Just a lot of possibilities with this roster, it's very versatile. The only problem is Pop sucks at making adjustments

tonski17
07-07-2019, 08:17 PM
starters: Poetl, LA, Morris, DDR, Murray
bench: Eubanks, Gay, Carroll, bryn or patty or beli (whoever gets lucky), white or walker
3rd stringer: Keldon, samanic (austin)
Close out games: white DJ DDR gay LA

palangi
07-07-2019, 08:30 PM
PG- Murray, white, mills, Witherspoon
SG- DDR, Forbes, walker
SF- Carroll, Bellineli, KJ
PF- Morris, Gay, Samanic, Metu
C - LMA, Poetle, Eubanks

BSfromTX
07-07-2019, 08:40 PM
I know we are guard heavy, but I don’t want DD at sf. Cut Beli, Mills and Forbes minutes and give them to DD and possibly some to Walker or KJ.

Truth4sale$
07-07-2019, 08:41 PM
Not sure why everyone thinks Gay comes off the bench. He is the only true wing player that knows the system, defend and shoot the 3 for spacing. All the 3pt shooters are bench players. Spurs need spacing and some hustling in the lineup.
I would go....
PG-Murray
SG-Derozan
SF-Gay
PF-Morris
C-Aldridge

White and Forbes/Mills , manage Guard spots, with Walker, Carroll and Poertl up front. Spot duty for Mills and Belinelli when needed to space the floor.
No playing time for Samanic at all, same for Metu, with spot duty for Keldon Johnson, I like his attitude and hustle. Spura lacked heart and hustle at time. I think they got it back with Morris, Carroll and Johnson, vocal guys who have some fire in them.

Hyperhypo
07-07-2019, 08:41 PM
Luka ain't playing in the NBA this year

palangi
07-07-2019, 08:44 PM
Not sure why everyone thinks Gay comes off the bench. He is the only true wing player that knows the system, defend and shoot the 3 for spacing. All the 3pt shooters are bench players. Spurs need spacing and some hustling in the lineup.
I would go....
PG-Murray
SG-Derozan
SF-Gay
PF-Morris
C-Aldridge

White and Forbes/Mills , manage Guard spots, with Walker, Carroll and Poertl up front. Spot duty for Mills and Belinelli when needed to space the floor.
No playing time for Samanic at all, same for Metu, with spot duty for Keldon Johnson, I like his attitude and hustle. Spura lacked heart and hustle at time. I think they got it back with Morris, Carroll and Johnson, vocal guys who have some fire in them.

I like Gay scouting punch coming off the bench

palangi
07-07-2019, 08:45 PM
Luka ain't playing in the NBA this year

I don't think anyone is expecting him to play. I think everyone has him penciled in Austin

Dhbsr555
07-07-2019, 08:57 PM
Why wouldn’t You start white and Murray that’s stupid there all defensive players .. they are lock down defenders . You play Forbes ... yes he’s a shooter but is a horrible defender .. derozen isn’t that great.. so you do that we are back to last year. We start white with Murray and Morris that is a legit defensive

TheDoctor
07-07-2019, 09:07 PM
Starters:
1-DM
2-DDR
3-RG
4-MM
5-LMA

Subs:
1-50Mills
2-White/Forbes
3-DeMarre
4-Metu
5-Poodle

DesignatedT
07-07-2019, 09:10 PM
Morris is 100% starting

DesignatedT
07-07-2019, 09:14 PM
My guess for what pop starts with:

Murray / White / Mills
DeRozan / Forbes / Walker
Gay / Belinelli / Johnson
Morris / Carroll / Samanic
Aldridge / Poeltl / Eubanks

Pavlov
07-07-2019, 09:16 PM
Wary about starting Rudy since I'm penciling in ~20 missed games for him.

Dhbsr555
07-07-2019, 09:20 PM
Someone finally has it right .. I truly belive walker gets 20+ minutes off the bench .

BackHome
07-07-2019, 10:53 PM
I see Walker as being used in the Manu roll I think he can be a huge offensive spark off the bench with the second unit.

Dhbsr555
07-07-2019, 10:55 PM
I see Walker as being used in the Manu roll I think he can be a huge offensive spark off the bench with the second unit.
I agree I don’t understand why so many people don’t think he won’t get minutes.

Chinook
07-07-2019, 11:50 PM
It makes me sick to my stomach to see folks having DeRozan play SG.

Mugen
07-08-2019, 12:45 AM
Murray/Fatty/Quindarry
White/Forbes/Walker
Derozan/Carroll/Keldon
Morris/Gay/Luka
LMA/Poetl/Eubanks

I'm expecting the following tbh:
-Spurs dump Beli by the start of the season
-Rookies to be in Austin most of the year. I could see KJ getting some time if the Spurs suffer some injuries at the wing spots.
-I wouldn't be surprised if Pop started Bryn instead of White but I really hope Lonnie gets regular burn this year.
-I don't think Dejounte will play b2bs this year and I could see him playing with a minute restriction at least through EoY
-They probably bring in another cheap vet before the offseason is done

Dhbsr555
07-08-2019, 12:46 AM
Murray/Fatty/Quindarry
White/Forbes/Walker
Derozan/Carroll/Keldon
Morris/Gay/Luka
LMA/Poetl/Eubanks

I'm expecting the following tbh:
-Spurs dump Beli by the start of the season
-Rookies to be in Austin most of the year. I could see KJ getting some time if the Spurs suffer some injuries at the wing spots.
-I wouldn't be surprised if Pop started Bryn instead of White but I really hope Lonnie gets regular burn this year.
-I don't think Dejounte will play b2bs this year and I could see him playing with a minute restriction at least through EoY
-They probably bring in another cheap vet before the offseason is done
Lonnie will get minutes man guarantee it.

Dhbsr555
07-08-2019, 12:47 AM
And I believe it will be Forbes walker carrol Gay and poodle

spurraider21
07-08-2019, 12:59 AM
i would be flabbergasted if white isn't starting. makes no sense. he was a top 3 player for us, and our second best for certain portions of the season when derozan was really struggling. while i love murray, to date he has never been as good as white was last year. i have no reason to believe that murray will start ahead of white. i still think they can start together... but its possible pop wants to stagger them. even in that scenario, it wouldn't make a lot of sense to have murray and derozan on the floor together to start games, for spacing purposes.

if we go with

white/forbes/derozan/morris/lma

then murray would form a nice second unit in a lineup with wombat/walker/marco, carroll, gay, poeltl. there's enough spacing there to make that lineup work.

Dhbsr555
07-08-2019, 01:02 AM
i would be flabbergasted if white isn't starting. makes no sense. he was a top 3 player for us, and our second best for certain portions of the season when derozan was really struggling. while i love murray, to date he has never been as good as white was last year. i have no reason to believe that murray will start ahead of white. i still think they can start together... but its possible pop wants to stagger them. even in that scenario, it wouldn't make a lot of sense to have murray and derozan on the floor together to start games, for spacing purposes.

if we go with

white/forbes/derozan/morris/lma

then murray would form a nice second unit in a lineup with wombat/walker, carroll, gay, poeltl. there's enough spacing there to make that lineup work.

Your right white will start but so will Murray

Dhbsr555
07-08-2019, 01:02 AM
Everyone trying to come up with these lineups saying otherwise can stop because those two barring any injuries will start

spurraider21
07-08-2019, 01:06 AM
Your right white will start but so will Murray
like i said, i do think they can start together. i just said that IF the intention is to stagger them, it makes more sense to start white on multiple levels (he's the better player, and he's the better fit in that lineup)

Dhbsr555
07-08-2019, 01:10 AM
like i said, i do think they can start together. i just said that IF the intention is to stagger them, it makes more sense to start white on multiple levels (he's the better player, and he's the better fit in that lineup)
Well we don’t know Murray potential yet so I agree from what we saw last year he’s better more polished on offensive. But let’s give Murray the chance to prove himself. The Spurs are high on him.

spurraider21
07-08-2019, 02:02 AM
Well we don’t know Murray potential yet so I agree from what we saw last year he’s better more polished on offensive. But let’s give Murray the chance to prove himself. The Spurs are high on him.
where did i say dont give him a chance? did i say he should be cut/traded or get no minutes?

we dont know white's potential yet either. right now white is the better player of the two, objectively speaking, and his fit with the rest of the projected starting unit is better. or start them together

ZeusWillJudge
07-08-2019, 02:06 AM
Minutes are shaping up to be a challenge. The Spurs have a lot of guys who

We know LMA and DDR are starting, and playing around 2,500 minutes. Forbes played third most minutes on the team, and his shooting is going to keep him on the floor a lot. Morris is a starter when healthy - at least he has been for the past several years. Same with Carroll, except for last year in BRK. And up until a few days ago, everyone expected to be seeing Gay start a lot. Poeltl only played about 1,300 minutes last season, but in the second half he was probably on a 2,000 minute pace give or take, and Pop liked having him in to start. That all makes for some pretty awkward odd man out moments, and Pop will have his hands full.

But Pop loves continuity. Barring any injury issue, or anyone really stinking up the preseason, I think Pop starts the season with the exact same lineup he ended on last season.

White
Forbes
DeRozan
Aldridge
Poeltl

That lineup pushed the 2 seed Nuggets right to the edge of elimination. Those guys have the most experience together, and the most familiarity with each other. If Pop deviates from that, I think it will be to move Aldridge to C, and insert either Gay or Morris - most likely Gay for the same reason of continuity. I know people will scream, but I think Pop looks at that lineup and expects them to be ready to play at the same level to start the season - then he can tweak an upgrade from there.

Duncan87
07-08-2019, 02:14 AM
Think Morris wanted team to make him starter on his free agent decision

Dhbsr555
07-08-2019, 02:17 AM
Minutes are shaping up to be a challenge. The Spurs have a lot of guys who

We know LMA and DDR are starting, and playing around 2,500 minutes. Forbes played third most minutes on the team, and his shooting is going to keep him on the floor a lot. Morris is a starter when healthy - at least he has been for the past several years. Same with Carroll, except for last year in BRK. And up until a few days ago, everyone expected to be seeing Gay start a lot. Poeltl only played about 1,300 minutes last season, but in the second half he was probably on a 2,000 minute pace give or take, and Pop liked having him in to start. That all makes for some pretty awkward odd man out moments, and Pop will have his hands full.

But Pop loves continuity. Barring any injury issue, or anyone really stinking up the preseason, I think Pop starts the season with the exact same lineup he ended on last season.

White
Forbes
DeRozan
Aldridge
Poeltl

That lineup pushed the 2 seed Nuggets right to the edge of elimination. Those guys have the most experience together, and the most familiarity with each other. If Pop deviates from that, I think it will be to move Aldridge to C, and insert either Gay or Morris - most likely Gay for the same reason of continuity. I know people will scream, but I think Pop looks at that lineup and expects them to be ready to play at the same level to start the season - then he can tweak an upgrade from there.

Heres the problem with that you have 3 forwards that have 50 million latched to them gay , Morris , and Carroll.. unless an injury happens poodle can’t start .. even if you put Carroll at back up sf .. who’s gonna play backup center.. ebanks um no thank you .. so your gonna pay Morris 20 million and Gay 30 million to be an odd man out.. let’s say you put one at back up sf.. then your putting 16 million on the table wasted you can’t play them all unless one starts.

Dhbsr555
07-08-2019, 02:19 AM
Anther thing is Murray will start there’s no ands or buts about it.. to The Spurs he’s the future. Remember they benched porker for him

cutewizard
07-08-2019, 02:19 AM
Guys, is this the deepest team in the history of the Spurs???????

omg

Dhbsr555
07-08-2019, 02:22 AM

omg
Right now 2005 is but if Murray and walker break out this year and White improves from last year, Morris does what he did last year.. then it’s possible to come within spitting distance of the 2005 team .. may I remind that was a championship team

cutewizard
07-08-2019, 02:31 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFgqKlc3dhw

ZeusWillJudge
07-08-2019, 02:33 AM
Heres the problem with that you have 3 forwards that have 50 million latched to them gay , Morris , and Carroll.. unless an injury happens poodle can’t start .. even if you put Carroll at back up sf .. who’s gonna play backup center.. ebanks um no thank you .. so your gonna pay Morris 20 million and Gay 30 million to be an odd man out.. let’s say you put one at back up sf.. then your putting 16 million on the table wasted you can’t play them all unless one starts.

Pretty sure I said minutes are going to be a problem. But what they paid for each guy is absolutely immaterial to winning. (Big in the fans' mind, but has nothing to do with what happens on the court, once the roster is set.)

The thread is about "current" depth chart. There is no current depth chart, so I assume the real question is how they start the season. Everyone should know that Pop will be tinkering with lineups, so we're really just talking about who starts at the beginning of the season.

White played so well, and he has the most current success running the point. Unless he looks terrible in preseason, I think he starts.
DDR and Aldridge are starting, the only real question is how they're listed, based on the other two players.
Forbes played 2,300 minutes (like I already said), and his 3P shooting is vital. That would make DDR the SF.
So the real question is whether Pop starts Poeltl, or slides Aldridge to C and starts Gay or Morris PF. I could see that easily enough, but I give the nod to Gay.

I said I think Poo starts the season the way he ended the last one. I still do. I also said I think Pop is then going to tinker with lineups. I still do.

Dhbsr555
07-08-2019, 02:35 AM
The only reason I want Murray and white to start is cause there so good at defensive .. however I can see the point to starting Forbes and poodle.. I agree pop will mix in preseason and I have no doubt white will improve this offseason as he’s a hard worker

cutewizard
07-08-2019, 02:36 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_5ziUSEK_w

ZeusWillJudge
07-08-2019, 02:48 AM

omg

They're deep. No Duncan, Parker, Manu, so talking about 2015 is sort of over the top. But, yeah, they're deep - especially if everyone lives up to their potential. I'm not sure that everyone has caught on, though, that they have a BUNCH of players who fill more than one gap. We're talking about Aldridge sliding from PF to C. But Gay is a SF or a PF. DeRozan is a 2 who's been playing the 3. Patty is listed as a PG, but he's a 3P shooter who could come in for Bryn. Morris. Carrol.

The depth chart doesn't line up as grade-school simple as 1a/1b 2a/2b etc. I know a lot of people think Pop has to keep Aldridge and Poeltl as centers, so everything lines up neatly. But it's going to be a lot more situational than that. Now, if these guys gel, and there's a starting 5 that is so synergistic that they can play their game and force opponents to react, that's what we'll see. But to start the season? I think we'll see continuity, just like we have nearly every season for the last 20 - with the possible switch of Poeltl/Gay I mentioned.

DJR210
07-08-2019, 02:48 AM
Think Morris wanted team to make him starter on his free agent decision

That goes directly against Pop's "nobody bigger than team" philosophy.. doubt Pop/RC would have tolerated that type of attitude

ZeusWillJudge
07-08-2019, 02:51 AM
That goes directly against Pop's "nobody bigger than team" philosophy.. doubt Pop/RC would have tolerated that type of attitude

None of us ever sat in on the actual meetings, but the word has always been that the Spurs don't guarantee anyone minutes. With Gay's medical history, I could see him coming off the bench but still playing a lot of minutes. So Morris starting at PF and Aldridge at C? I could see it happening. But I have a hard time picturing the Spurs guaranteeing it.

Dhbsr555
07-08-2019, 02:55 AM
Spurs fans have a love/hate relationship with lakers... we love to hate everyone who represents the purple and gold

cutewizard
07-08-2019, 02:59 AM
They're deep. No Duncan, Parker, Manu, so talking about 2015 is sort of over the top. But, yeah, they're deep - especially if everyone lives up to their potential. I'm not sure that everyone has caught on, though, that they have a BUNCH of players who fill more than one gap. We're talking about Aldridge sliding from PF to C. But Gay is a SF or a PF. DeRozan is a 2 who's been playing the 3. Patty is listed as a PG, but he's a 3P shooter who could come in for Bryn. Morris. Carrol.

The depth chart doesn't line up as grade-school simple as 1a/1b 2a/2b etc. I know a lot of people think Pop has to keep Aldridge and Poeltl as centers, so everything lines up neatly. But it's going to be a lot more situational than that. Now, if these guys gel, and there's a starting 5 that is so synergistic that they can play their game and force opponents to react, that's what we'll see. But to start the season? I think we'll see continuity, just like we have nearly every season for the last 20 - with the possible switch of Poeltl/Gay I mentioned.

------------------------

Thanks for the reply good Sir

cutewizard
07-08-2019, 02:59 AM
i wish Clarkson would arrive in Spursland

so that we have a Filipino in the Spurs! hehehehehe

cutewizard
07-08-2019, 03:00 AM
Bellinelli for Clarkson, anyone????

JeffDuncan
07-08-2019, 05:03 AM
Pretty sure I said minutes are going to be a problem. But what they paid for each guy is absolutely immaterial to winning. ...

That's the Spurs, alright. What we pay for a player has absolutely nothing to do with winning. You've nailed it.

Just kidding. I wish.

I said I think Poo starts the season the way he ended the last one. I still do. I also said I think Pop is then going to tinker with lineups. I still do.

You say you think the season will start and end with poo?? No, wait, I see.

Pop ended the season with Mills and Forbes, and White on the bench.

Mills - Forbes - DDR - Gay - LMA. That's the last lineup against the Nugs. And I hope never to see it again. Especially the Mills part.

At least we have a couple of true SF possibilities to talk about now.

BG_Spurs_Fan
07-08-2019, 05:13 AM
Starters :
PG - Murray
SG - Forbes
SF - DeRozan
PF - Morris
C - Aldridge

Bench:
PG - Mills
SG - White
SF - Carroll
PF - Gay
C - Poeltl

Wild card is Walker. If he's truly that improved and can crack the rotation this opens up a lot of options and possible two for one trades. Belli's situation doesn't look promising.

ceperez
07-08-2019, 07:16 AM
I would go....
PG-Murray
SG-Derozan
SF-Gay
PF-Morris
C-Aldridge

Yeah, Spurs got 3 guys who are willing to play with a lot of contact!

That's 3 new players... that's a lot. This should change the entire personality of this team!

Drewlius
07-08-2019, 07:48 AM
It makes me sick to my stomach to see folks having DeRozan play SG.

Please elaborate.

RC_Drunkford
07-08-2019, 08:36 AM
with the addition of Morris and Carroll Spurs will be able to create and take advantage of a lot of mismatches

DJR210
07-08-2019, 08:38 AM
None of us ever sat in on the actual meetings, but the word has always been that the Spurs don't guarantee anyone minutes. With Gay's medical history, I could see him coming off the bench but still playing a lot of minutes. So Morris starting at PF and Aldridge at C? I could see it happening. But I have a hard time picturing the Spurs guaranteeing it.

Exactly

Truth4sale$
07-08-2019, 08:52 AM
Sometimes you have to look at the body language of players. Some guys have that "IT". Those are the guys that being that mental and physical toughness. Sometimes, they want that challenge, of taking that shot, guarding the best player. I think Marcus Morris and Caroll will bring that "IT" factor to the Spurs. Aldridge, and DeRozan may have more talent but they dont bring that "IT". Helps to being the energy to start a game and finish a game. One if them need to start, to bring toughness and defense immediately. Marcus Morris and Caroll bring that "IT", good example for the young players too. Something to add to the culture that has been lacking since Ginobili left.

ZeusWillJudge
07-08-2019, 09:07 AM
That's the Spurs, alright. What we pay for a player has absolutely nothing to do with winning. You've nailed it.

Just kidding. I wish.

You say you think the season will start and end with poo?? No, wait, I see.

Pop ended the season with Mills and Forbes, and White on the bench.

Mills - Forbes - DDR - Gay - LMA. That's the last lineup against the Nugs. And I hope never to see it again. Especially the Mills part.

At least we have a couple of true SF possibilities to talk about now.

You don't get paid extra in life for being a dumbshit. The starting lineup in the last game of the season was White, Forbes, DeRozan, Aldridge, and Poeltl. The Spurs have valued roster continuity for the last couple of decades - which is probably longer than you've been alive. That lineup is familiar with each other. I'm not convinced that the 2-big lineup is the best thing, so maybe Gay instead of Poeltl. But starting that group would be consistent with the Spurs' philosophy since Pop has been here.

Since you can't seem to understand the salary issue, I'll make it easy: The highest paid player on the Raptors was Kyle Lowery, at $31M. He came off the bench a lot this past season, behind a PG making $8.6M. Once the roster is set, it doesn't make a rat fuck what any player gets paid. You put out the combinations that give you the best shot at winning.

I know you thought that making cute little comments was your best shot at getting laid in high school. You're in college now - try saying something smart instead. It'll happen sooner or later.

JeffDuncan
07-08-2019, 12:51 PM
You don't get paid extra in life for being a dumbshit. ...

You need to tweet that to Bernie Sanders. It's the foundation of his entire political career: promising more money to the dumbshits who vote for him. But I digress.

The starting lineup in the last game of the season was White, Forbes, DeRozan, Aldridge, and Poeltl. The Spurs have valued roster continuity for the last couple of decades - which is probably longer than you've been alive. ...

Flattery will get you nowhere. The Spurs valued roster continuity because they had three HOFers. Makes it easy. Zeus was the greatest of the gods, but who was the 14th or 15th greatest? That's where it gets hard to tell, when we're trying to sort the lesser lights of the pantheon..

One of the more intriguing facets of the preseason will be the question of Murray and White, and which does what. I'm looking forward to it, as I know you are.

That lineup is familiar with each other. I'm not convinced that the 2-big lineup is the best thing, so maybe Gay instead of Poeltl. But starting that group would be consistent with the Spurs' philosophy since Pop has been here.

I have my hopes up that training camp and the preseason might matter, as well.

Since you can't seem to understand the salary issue, I'll make it easy: The highest paid player on the Raptors was Kyle Lowery, at $31M. He came off the bench a lot this past season, behind a PG making $8.6M. Once the roster is set, it doesn't make a rat fuck what any player gets paid. You put out the combinations that give you the best shot at winning.

Lowry started all 65 games that he played during the rs. He did not come off the bench behind VanVleet. But be that as it may,
Murray is scheduled for $2.3 million, and White for $1.9. Bargains, both. Our closer at pg, in the last game against the Nugs, was Mills, at $11.6 million last year. I'm sure it's only an ironic coincidence that when it mattered most, Pop went with the money, and lost. But Murray was unavailable, as we know, and there were other factors.

I know you thought that making cute little comments was your best shot at getting laid in high school. ...

Well, you go with what works. Cute comments. A bright smile. A charming manner. Alcohol.

You're in college now - try saying something smart instead. It'll happen sooner or later.

You want something smart, instead of something that smarts. I'll see what I can do.

ZeusWillJudge
07-08-2019, 01:04 PM
Lowry started all 65 games that he played during the rs. He did not come off the bench behind VanVleet.

You're right about Landry starting - just not at PG. (Everything else you've said was too stupid to keep reading.) I drug up the first name that came to mind because I didn't want to get into the fact that the Spurs had a $1.5M starting PG, with an $11M player coming off the bench. You would have just bitched about Mills having a bad contract, which is true. Starters on rookie scale are almost always making less than their backups.

The point... still... is that salary has nothing to do with anything, once the roster is set. You don't decide on rotations based on salary. You put in the players that give you the best shot at winning. You don't force the SL based on how much you recently paid for a vet.

JeffDuncan
07-08-2019, 02:22 PM
You're right about Landry starting ...

Your spelling corrector is dissing you. Strike it with a lightning bolt.

I drug up the first name that came to mind ...

"Dug" up? Definitely lightning bolt time. Zap it. Or are you being idiomatic?

The point... still... is that salary has nothing to do with anything, once the roster is set. You don't decide on rotations based on salary. You put in the players that give you the best shot at winning. You don't force the SL based on how much you recently paid for a vet.

And you insist on that based on something I wrote. I can't quite pin down what I wrote to incite that, but, good for me!

Anyway, back on topic. I'm hoping White's 3pt shooting improves enough over the summer so that it becomes possible to start him at the 1 and DDR at the 2, with a 3pt threat from the guard positions. Else, it looks like Murray and Forbes.

BSfromTX
07-08-2019, 05:49 PM
Starters :
PG - Murray
SG - Forbes
SF - DeRozan
PF - Morris
C - Aldridge

Bench:
PG - Mills
SG - White
SF - Carroll
PF - Gay
C - Poeltl

Wild card is Walker. If he's truly that improved and can crack the rotation this opens up a lot of options and possible two for one trades. Belli's situation doesn't look promising.

Not sure Pop will force Aldridge to play the 5.
I think we will see a line up close to last year with the exception of DJ's return.

PG - Murray/Forbes (Pop will most likely give Murray a slow return)
SG - White
SF - DD
PF - Aldridge
C - Poetl

By Christmas, I think Murray and Morris enter the SL and perhaps White goes to the bench to give a spark to second unit similar to Manu in the past... DD moves to SG and Aldridge plays more 5 in the middle and end of games.

Chinook
07-08-2019, 06:41 PM
Please elaborate.

He's not a two-guard. He doesn't play better there. He isn't built to play there. Right now, the team has two rotation-caliber bigs, three forwards (not counting DeRozan), and six guards. Trying to pigeonhole DeRozan at SG means only three of Murray, White, Walker, Mills, Forbes and Beli will play. And maybe you'll think "Well Walker or Beli could play the three off the bench." But that would be just as "out of position" as DeRozan playing there is. When push comes to shove, it's much better for DMDR and the team to have DeRozan as the starting three.

Murray, White
Forbes, Mills (or Walker)
DeRozan, Carroll
Morris, Gay
Aldridge, Poeltl

It's just a better use of the players on the team than:

Murray, White
DeRozan, Forbes (or Mills or Walker)
Carroll, Literally don't know who since no one besides Metu and Samanic is on the roster, not used so far and is bigger than DeRozan
Morris, Gay
Aldridge, Poeltl