PDA

View Full Version : How will the spurs matchup against the new look Clippers, Lakers, Warriors?

apalisoc_9
07-07-2019, 01:10 AM
If the Spurs want to make it past the 2nd round, they'd eventually have to play one of these teams.

With Derozan playing a year for San Antonio, Murrays return, the addition of Morris, Carroll and Poetl fully integrrated into the team without worrying about Gasol feelings, I fully expect this team to be a better version of last year team. Not to mention i think Loonie Walker gets a crack at the SG position. Possibly challenging forbes.

A few things I expect Less minutes for Mills, Belli. Thats always a good thing.

But how do they stack up against these potential teams

Beverly/Lou
Kawhi/Shamet
Geroge
Harkless
Zubac/Harrell

Rondo
Green/KCP
Lebron
Kuzma
Davis/Cousins

Curry
Dlo
Thompson
Draymond
Looney

The warriors are going to be very competitive once Thompson comes back..I suspect.

A few notes

- Spurs are equiped to give the Clippers tons of problems. Morris, Gay, Carroll, White..regardless if kawhi plays the 2,3,4 the spurs have the bodies to distrupt him. Lebron same thing, plus you have aldridge to handle Davis.

- With White, Murray....the kind of players you want to matchul against lou williams.

- I suspect the warriors will have a resurgence in their offense with Durant out.

spurraider21
07-07-2019, 01:17 AM
if the clips bring back jamychal green... they're completely set. dont think anybody can deal with that lineup.

i think we match up decently against the dubs until klay returns. if forbes starts and defends D-Lo, i'm perfectly fine with them making him beat us instead of steph

lakers will be a tough matchup because our best defenders (white/murray) will be nonfactors against their offensive threats. we'd be leaning on morris/carroll to guard lebron. tough ask

BackHome
07-07-2019, 01:50 AM
Golden state is screwed I don’t think Curry can stay healthy all season he is going to try to carry team and get hurt. As far as Thompson he will be coming off major injury after what happened to Durant I would be surprised they will let him play.

99 Problems
07-07-2019, 03:07 AM
I think the Dubs are done short term, meaning next season. No way they push Klay too early after investing monster money in him long term.

GreekSpursfan
07-07-2019, 03:19 AM
Our talent lvl is below those three teams, we can't handle them, we're a tier below. We might be below the Jazz and Rockets as well. White in his second season, Murray a complete unknown and hasn't proven anything yet, the usual chokers, DDR,LMA and some other mediocre at best pieces. Realistically we pose no threat to these three teams who each have at least one and some two mvp caliber players.

daslicer
07-07-2019, 11:04 AM
I don't get why people believe Klay Thompson is going to comeback next year considering he got what most people would say is the second worst injury in basketball outside of an achilles tear. I have never seen a player comeback from that injury in basketball in less than a year. Look at Dejounte Murray and how he was out for the whole entire year after getting that injury. Also it took Porzingis a year and half to heal from the injury. Warriors are lying about this injury so they can sell tickets.

I don't fear a Warriors team that is Curry,Draymond, and bunch of scrubs.

John B
07-07-2019, 11:17 AM
I like our much improved defense. Imo top 3 defense. But an insurance big would not hurt. I hope Baynes could be had cheap.

Mr. Body
07-07-2019, 11:20 AM
Warriors aren't the biggest concern. Curry is going to get battered, but ppl are sleeping on DLo. He's a very good player, although he doesn't fit that team at all. I think at some point entitled Draymond gets frustrated and starts killing people.

The Lakers are a concern, but LMA plays David well. LeBron is a major issue, but is slowing down and while they have some good role players (Kuzma is good), they are unbalanced. I think the Spurs' bench is too much.

Clippers will be rough. They're unsettled and have to put two ball-dominant SFs into the rotation. The Spurs have the depth to compete, but it will be hard.

lmbebo
07-07-2019, 11:40 AM
We don't match with any of those teams really. Need talent to win. As we can see, Talent is feeling back to the coasts in droves. PG forced Presti to leave (shining example of a small market team over coming everything). AD forced his way out of NO. Kwahi forced his way out of SA (and left Toronto high and dry). Lebron bailed on cleveland a 2nd time to go to LA. Butler going to Miami. KD and Kyrie to Brookly.

All the superstar talent is going coastal to the big cities again. Many in the media think its a good thing to have player collusion, to have the big markets dominating the league, etc. I'm sick of it.

I hope the league and "small" market teams create problems at the next cba. Hope small market teams suffer economically forcing the nba to act.

vavvi
07-07-2019, 11:42 AM
We will matchup alright against all of them. Sure, we'll be underdogs but we'll have a puncher's chance. We won't be swept if healthy.

daslicer
07-07-2019, 11:49 AM
We don't match with any of those teams really. Need talent to win. As we can see, Talent is feeling back to the coasts in droves. PG forced Presti to leave (shining example of a small market team over coming everything). AD forced his way out of NO. Kwahi forced his way out of SA (and left Toronto high and dry). Lebron bailed on cleveland a 2nd time to go to LA. Butler going to Miami. KD and Kyrie to Brookly.

All the superstar talent is going coastal to the big cities again. Many in the media think its a good thing to have player collusion, to have the big markets dominating the league, etc. I'm sick of it.

I hope the league and "small" market teams create problems at the next cba. Hope small market teams suffer economically forcing the nba to act.

The league has become a farm system for NYC,LA,Miami. I guarantee you if the Knicks manage to become a playoff caliber team in a few years that you will see some big name superstar trying to force a trade to them.

DieHardSpursFan1537
07-07-2019, 11:56 AM

It's childish and petty for these players like Kawhi, PG, etc. to whine and complain about not wanting to be on a team anymore despite the fact that they signed contracts worth hundreds of millions.

daslicer
07-07-2019, 12:07 PM
It's childish and petty for these players like Kawhi, PG, etc. to whine and complain about not wanting to be on a team anymore despite the fact that they signed contracts worth hundreds of millions.

My biggest problem with these guys is the fact they are now forcing trades when they are under contract. No one pointed the gun to your head to sign these deals. If you truly didn't want to be with these teams long term then don't sign the contract.

Marcus Bryant
07-07-2019, 12:10 PM
We’ll see if Leonard has started a trend with the holdout or if that was just an exception. All it takes is a team suspending a player holding out without pay successfully to nip that in the bud tbh.

ducks
07-07-2019, 12:12 PM
Know more after all star break
Also it could be who is the hot team right now that will win the title
More balanced right now

monty4329
07-07-2019, 01:00 PM
It's childish and petty for these players like Kawhi, etc. to whine and complain about not wanting to be on a team anymore despite the fact that they signed contracts worth hundreds of millions.

That.

You want to change team? Forfait your contract and play for the minimum while your new team must anyway absorb your old contract cap-wise and pay those money to the league. See then how many renege their word.

picnroll
07-07-2019, 01:10 PM
My biggest problem with these guys is the fact they are now forcing trades when they are under contract. No one pointed the gun to your head to sign these deals. If you truly didn't want to be with these teams long term then don't sign the contract.
Agree star players have no respect for contracts, they just view them as insurance policy to be broken when they feel like breaking them. Kwitter was the most egregious, breaking his contract but first stealing millions from the Spurs. Next CBA owners should get the right to make players refund some of the money from the total contract value if they try to force breaking of a valid contract. Call it the kwitter clause.

Dancelot
07-07-2019, 01:15 PM
What’s funny to me is if Leonard actually reached out to Paul George about teaming up on the clippers or whoever like what’s being reported, that’s considered tampering by how the rule is written. I imagine the league doesn’t care though, this is good for business.

JeffDuncan
07-07-2019, 01:34 PM
What’s funny to me is if Leonard actually reached out to Paul George about teaming up on the clippers or whoever like what’s being reported, that’s considered tampering by how the rule is written. ...

No, it is not. You obviously don't know the tampering rules.

tmtcsc
07-07-2019, 01:40 PM
No, it is not. You obviously don't know the tampering rules.

Yes, its tampering. The rules state: The NBA can fine any player or team that “directly or indirectly, entices, induces, persuades or attempts to entice, induce, or persuade” anyone under contract with another team for their services.

tonight...you
07-07-2019, 02:15 PM
Yes, its tampering. The rules state: The NBA can fine any player or team that “directly or indirectly, entices, induces, persuades or attempts to entice, induce, or persuade” anyone under contract with another team for their services.
https://media2.giphy.com/media/z9bLBjRyj8CoE/giphy.gif

JeffDuncan
07-07-2019, 02:22 PM

No, it is not tampering. Per reports, at the time Leonard talked to George, Leonard was not a player. Leonard was not under contract, he had entered unrestricted free agency. A player is somebody under contract to a team.

JeffDuncan
07-07-2019, 02:37 PM
In other words, the sucker appears to have lucked out again.

Hyperhypo
07-07-2019, 03:14 PM
Spurs are underrated at this point

Hyperhypo
07-07-2019, 03:15 PM
Yes, its tampering. The rules state: The NBA can fine any player or team that “directly or indirectly, entices, induces, persuades or attempts to entice, induce, or persuade” anyone under contract with another team for their services. are they going after Lebron for the AD situation?

tmtcsc
07-07-2019, 03:40 PM
No, it is not tampering. Per reports, at the time Leonard talked to George, Leonard was not a player. Leonard was not under contract, he had entered unrestricted free agency. A player is somebody under contract to a team.

The NBA needs to fix that rule or they will be dealing with similar shenanigans detrimental to the league. Talking to other Free Agents is one thing but enticing a player to ask to be traded has obvious adverse affects. OKC is going to most likely blow up their team because of it.

Joseph Kony
07-07-2019, 03:53 PM
i think the 2020 spurs matchup with the 2020 clippers the way the 2019 clippers matched up with the 2019 Warriors. Yeah, we have some guys to bother them on the perimeter but ultimately they're going to be too talented for us. LMA theoretically should dominate against them but you know he wont deliver when it matters and will probably get bullied down low by Harrell and Zubac. Lakers are an unknown, because honestly outside of AD/Lebron their team is pretty shitty. LA always matches up well with AD though, and Poeltl is a solid player to throw at him defensively as well. Morris/Carroll/White will be tasked with slowing down lebron. not sure i like any of them against him assuming he doesnt lost much of a step on offense next year.

Warriors i dont think will be much of a threat at all next year. Klay is likely going to miss the majority of the year, if not all of it. Curry/Russell/Donkey and scrubs arent enough in the West to keep them in the race unless Curry has another 2016 regular season in him.

All other west teams aside from Clippers and maybe Lakers i like our chances against. but at this point we havent seen how much of a step White/Walker will take next year, and how much better Murray will be versus the last time we saw him play, so our ceiling is unknown. if those guys make big leaps, spurs have a much higher ceiling than a lot of other teams in the West

JeffDuncan
07-07-2019, 04:33 PM
The NBA needs to fix that rule or they will be dealing with similar shenanigans detrimental to the league. Talking to other Free Agents is one thing but enticing a player to ask to be traded has obvious adverse affects. OKC is going to most likely blow up their team because of it.

I agree, the tampering rule needs some serious attention. Not sure what to do about it, but I am sure that an honest effort could improve the situation.

RC_Drunkford
07-07-2019, 05:01 PM
Spurs match up well but if you look at the rosters one thing is clear: How far we go depends on the imrovement of Murray/White/Walker.

Neither the Fakers nor the Flippers have a strong guard rotation. Beverly/Williams is ok but nothing to be afraid of. If Murray and White take a leap they might even outplay them. They can guard both and Murray has a size advantage on Beverly. Rondo/Green is even worse. LA will cancel out AD. Spurs got Morris, Carroll and Gay to throw at #2, Paul George and LeBron. DeRozan even played well against PG13 when he was in OKC. We also got good help defenders and our bench is better than all 3 of those teams benches. Against the Clippers LaMarcus would destroy Zubac. Harrell is a hustle big, but no major offensive weapon either.

Against Golden State White and Murray would lock down Steph/DLo/Klay. Morris would probably fight Draymond at some point and LA can't be stopped with that many shooters on the floor. I also don't see Klay ever stopping DeRozan.

I think this Spurs team is so versatile that it can create a lot of match up problems but adjust to almost any look on defense

apalisoc_9
07-07-2019, 05:07 PM
Kawhi vs Spurs is gonna be delicious :lol

John B
07-07-2019, 05:10 PM
Spurs match up well but if you look at the rosters one thing is clear: How far we go depends on the imrovement of Murray/White/Walker.

Neither the Fakers nor the Flippers have a strong guard rotation. Beverly/Williams is ok but nothing to be afraid of. If Murray and White take a leap they might even outplay them. They can guard both and Murray has a size advantage on Beverly. Rondo/Green is even worse. LA will cancel out AD. Spurs got Morris, Carroll and Gay to throw at #2, Paul George and LeBron. DeRozan even played well against PG13 when he was in OKC. We also got good help defenders and our bench is better than all 3 of those teams benches. Against the Clippers LaMarcus would destroy Zubac. Harrell is a hustle big, but no major offensive weapon either.

Against Golden State White and Murray would lock down Steph/DLo/Klay. Morris would probably fight Draymond at some point and LA can't be stopped with that many shooters on the floor. I also don't see Klay ever stopping DeRozan.

I think this Spurs team is so versatile that it can create a lot of match up problems but adjust to almost any look on defense
Agree. But I don’t know why we’re not including Nuggets who sent Spurs packing. I’m sure we can play Murray better, Morris/Carroll can play Millsap better, but Jokic is another big that needs to be addressed. I really hope PATFO get that insurance Big. I sure hope Belli for Baynes?

Coach X
07-07-2019, 05:11 PM
Still too early to know IMO. Let's wait for the new teams to define their style of play. Rosters need to be completed too.

The Spurs must transfer to the court the theoretic defensive improvement provided by the summer operations. Then, we shall see.

RC_Drunkford
07-07-2019, 05:14 PM
Agree. But I don’t know why we’re not including Nuggets who sent Spurs packing. I’m sure we can play Murray better, Morris/Carroll can play Millsap better, but Jokic is another big that needs to be addressed. I really hope PATFO get that insurance Big. I sure hope Belli for Baynes?

I think it's safe to say the Spurs would win that series with the additions of Murray, Morris and Carroll. The series went 7 games without them and the Nuggets won't be that much better

RC_Drunkford
07-07-2019, 05:32 PM
https://twitter.com/davidaldridgedc/status/1147580519141576704 :lmao:lmao

cpds421
07-07-2019, 06:48 PM
Kawhi vs Spurs is gonna be delicious :lol

Yes. Spurs will teach him manners about not being a traitor.

B1gduff
07-07-2019, 07:14 PM
assuming this is our starting rotation:
Dj/Mills
Forbes/White (main ball handler with the second unit)
DD/Gay/Marco
Morris/Carrol/Gay
LA/Jacob

I personally think we'll be fine against both La teams and GSW. i going to say that we'll have a top 5 defense and a top 10 offense next year. With this blend of offense and defense we should be fine, plus including the best Bench in the league. don't forget that 2014 Team that beat (alright dominated) a team led by James, Wade and Bosh!

Down Under
07-07-2019, 10:45 PM
The Clippers actually have a few holes defensively that could be exploited. Shamet is bad, Lou Will not much better. I'm not convinced of Zubac mobility & Harrell is pretty undersized for a Centre. That said, they probably deserve be favourites. Lakers have 2 good defensive players on their entire roster. Warriors lose switching ability without KD, but will still be right there.

cutewizard
07-08-2019, 12:20 AM
:ihit
Spurs are underrated at this point

cutewizard
07-08-2019, 01:38 AM
What a dogfight in the NBA this season!

cutewizard
07-08-2019, 01:39 AM
Still too early to know IMO. Let's wait for the new teams to define their style of play. Rosters need to be completed too.

The Spurs must transfer to the court the theoretic defensive improvement provided by the summer operations. Then, we shall see.

-------------------------------------------

Would you elaborate good Sir

Coach X
07-10-2019, 06:02 PM
-------------------------------------------

Would you elaborate good Sir

I can't until I watch those teams to play. Knowing Doc Rivers, we can have an idea about how his team will play but there are big differences between his Celtics and the two different Clippers versions with and without Paul+Griffin+Jordan. Mmm Lakers, It's very hard to speculate about their style of play: will they gravitate around PG Lebron playing low pace? How will they play half court defense and offense? 1st and units?
We know Houston and Milwaukee will run their systems again but we don't know how the 19/20 Spurs team will play: starting with one or two bigs in order to play classic Spurs defense and rebounding? Adapting to playing with a small PF and switching more often? Again the same ISO volume or Motion Offense strikes back? Faster pace led by Murray and White? Can we confirm Murray starting PG and White in the Ginobili rol coming from the bench? What about the 4th and 5th starters? Morris yes/no? Alternatives? There are dozens of questions.

Opinions based on rosters are fun to write and read but everything comes to what happens on the hardwood from October. We have to wait.

JuneJive
07-10-2019, 06:27 PM
Coach X nice list of questions.

Can't wait.

duncan2k5
07-11-2019, 02:55 AM

Same could be said for teams that trade players... No one holds a gun to their head to sign players... If ur not gonna make them play out their contract, then don't sign them in the first place (works both ways... So one side can't complain over the other)

duncan2k5
07-11-2019, 02:59 AM
I think it's safe to say the Spurs would win that series with the additions of Murray, Morris and Carroll. The series went 7 games without them and the Nuggets won't be that much better

The Nuggets will be MUCH better... They were young and inexperienced, much like the warriors before the championship year

RC_Drunkford
07-11-2019, 10:08 AM
The Nuggets will be MUCH better... They were young and inexperienced, much like the warriors before the championship year

that proves my point. Your by far recognized as the dumbest poster on this forum, so of course you say the total opposite. Thanks for the confirmation