PDA

View Full Version : Lakers: Is this perpetual free agency going to be the death of guaranteed contracts?

baseline bum
07-07-2019, 07:26 AM
For years the NBA has had guaranteed contracts with the implicit assumption that you play your contract out. But now seeing Anthony Davis, Paul George, and Kawhi Leonard force their way out of teams while under contract it seems like a sucker's move to guarantee contracts. If you sign John Wall to supermax and he underperforms you're stuck with him but you have a franchise guy who is actually worth it and he can just force a trade to a big market. If contracts don't mean anything from the player's side then I expect the next CBA negotiations to be nasty with the owners deciding contracts shouldn't mean anything from their side either. I think Kawhi, Davis, and George have just killed off guaranteed contracts once this CBA expires, because they're sucker moves when they only bind bad contracts to your team. I see no way the owners don't opt out of the CBA in the summer of 2023 to get rid of guaranteed contracts now. NFL contracts are coming in the next CBA and I expect owners to fight tooth and nail for them and of course players to fight equally hard against them, so it wouldn't surprise me to see the 2023-24 season cancelled.

Thread
07-07-2019, 08:26 AM
WW3 would commissed if you tried taking that away.

clambake
07-07-2019, 09:32 AM
they'll make their own league in the future.

who needs owners. work your own deal with the networks.

Will Hunting
07-07-2019, 09:37 AM
I don't see it. The teams are all fat and happy right now on the TV revenue. An owner like Clay Bennett in OKC is fine with George demanding a trade as long as he's getting a share of the TV revenue made off the team PG-13 is going to.

What the small market owners should actually be pushing for is doing away with max contracts. There wouldn't be any super teams if the amount you could spend on a player wasn't capped, but the 2nd and 3rd tier players benefit way too much from max contracts so it'll never happen.

Clipper Nation
07-07-2019, 10:03 AM
I don't see how removing max contracts does anything to stop superteams. Superstars already sacrifice money to build superteams in the current system, they'd just continue doing the same thing if you took away max contracts. Meanwhile, second-tier stars would end up hogging even more of their teams' cap space.

Partially guaranteed contracts are the way to go. If players aren't willing to honor their contracts, they shouldn't still get to make their teams shoulder all the risk. Franchise tags are also a must. The NFL gets a lot of things wrong, but they're spot-on with contracts and player movement.

Will Hunting
07-07-2019, 10:55 AM
I don't see how removing max contracts does anything to stop superteams. Superstars already sacrifice money to build superteams in the current system, they'd just continue doing the same thing if you took away max contracts. Meanwhile, second-tier stars would end up hogging even more of their teams' cap space.

Partially guaranteed contracts are the way to go. If players aren't willing to honor their contracts, they shouldn't still get to make their teams shoulder all the risk. Franchise tags are also a must. The NFL gets a lot of things wrong, but they're spot-on with contracts and player movement.
They sacrifice a few million a year now and that can easily be made up with endorsements...it’s a different proposition when there’s no max contracts and you’re sacrificing $10+ million a year.

Just look at the NFL. Outside of Brady (who let’s not kid ourselves only sacrifices money because he’s got a wife worth even more than he is), none of the elite QBs ever sacrifice any money in exchange for better teammates.

The players would never go for franchise tags AND max contracts. Franchise tags are fair in the NFL because if you franchise tag the same player over and over again the salary that player gets becomes untenable. If there’s a max contract then nothing stops teams from franchise tagging the same player for 10 years straight.

ambchang
07-07-2019, 01:28 PM
It's governor, you bunch of racists.

Thread
07-07-2019, 01:31 PM
It's governor, you bunch of racists.

You owned Leonard. You lost Leonard.

Florida

ambchang
07-07-2019, 01:49 PM

Florida

Governed.

I don't understand why you kept repeating the same stuff that is clearly meaningless. What's your angle btw? I mean, the Lakers lost every single player one way or the other. it's not like Leonard is some face of the franchise like West or Magic, it's not like the Spurs ran him off like the Lakers ran off West or Magic, so what gives? If anything, your logic does more dirt to the Lakers than the Spurs.

Thread
07-07-2019, 01:50 PM
Governed.

I don't understand why you kept repeating the same stuff that is clearly meaningless. What's your angle btw? I mean, the Lakers lost every single player one way or the other. it's not like Leonard is some face of the franchise like West or Magic, it's not like the Spurs ran him off like the Lakers ran off West or Magic, so what gives? If anything, your logic does more dirt to the Lakers than the Spurs.

Simple. To grind on your asses.

Leonard

ambchang
07-07-2019, 01:53 PM
Simple. To grind on your asses.

Leonard

But it is grinding your own ass. You just came up with something that the Lakers did worse, and more of, and earlier.

Thread
07-07-2019, 01:57 PM
But it is grinding your own ass. You just came up with something that the Lakers did worse, and more of, and earlier.

You're dirty just like us.

Duncan tank
Florida
Leonard

CHARGE!!!!!!!!!

Chucho
07-08-2019, 12:45 AM

Duncan tank
Florida
Leonard

CHARGE!!!!!!!!!

Old dog, old tricks. Admits his old tricks. Travis has the rifle, time to follow him out behind the shed.

Chucho
07-08-2019, 12:53 AM

That would be almost impossible. I'm not a lawyer, but wouldn't every defecting player have to play out their contracts? Throw in sourcing large stadiums in proper markets because they'll be locked out of the major arenas leased to NBA teams, even making sure all players would jump to a new league with no recognition and have to take major payouts because networks fees ain't paying all the bills off the bat and that's if you find a network that would fund something so massive and bet against the NBA. Throw in everything else associated with running a major sports league, no matter how star studded the league is, it'd be nothing short of a statistical miracle if it succeeded.

Othyus Lalanne
07-08-2019, 03:51 AM

30 big egos vs let's say 110...

Who can organize better?

basquetbol
07-08-2019, 05:01 AM
For years the NBA has had guaranteed contracts with the implicit assumption that you play your contract out.

If that was the case then organizations would not be allowed to trade their players.

ElNono
07-08-2019, 05:13 AM
They just need to monetarily penalize forced trades, out of the player's pocket. They can make it a sliding scale, where the penalty is higher closer to the start of the deal and dwindles down as it gets closer to the end. You would tack that amount as an extra exception for the team to use in the following offseason.

Millennial_Messiah
07-08-2019, 07:03 AM
For years the NBA has had guaranteed contracts with the implicit assumption that you play your contract out. But now seeing Anthony Davis, Paul George, and Kawhi Leonard force their way out of teams while under contract it seems like a sucker's move to guarantee contracts. If you sign John Wall to supermax and he underperforms you're stuck with him but you have a franchise guy who is actually worth it and he can just force a trade to a big market. If contracts don't mean anything from the player's side then I expect the next CBA negotiations to be nasty with the owners deciding contracts shouldn't mean anything from their side either. I think Kawhi, Davis, and George have just killed off guaranteed contracts once this CBA expires, because they're sucker moves when they only bind bad contracts to your team. I see no way the owners don't opt out of the CBA in the summer of 2023 to get rid of guaranteed contracts now. NFL contracts are coming in the next CBA and I expect owners to fight tooth and nail for them and of course players to fight equally hard against them, so it wouldn't surprise me to see the 2023-24 season cancelled.
Hopefully more than that, cancel the entire league tbh.

Btw I agree with this post. Screw the commies who are always flamingly on the player's side of these debates no matter what. The owners should have fair treatment as well and as of now they don't, it's a player's league that is built to massively, MASSIVELY overpay poorly-educated athletes (many of which would otherwise be on the streets or in and out of jail) for doing their favorite thing in the world to do (who else can say that?), screw owners out of their fair share of the pie and most of all, screw fanbases left and right.

It's chickenshit.

ambchang
07-08-2019, 11:47 AM

Duncan tank
Florida
Leonard

CHARGE!!!!!!!!!

Duncan tank was never investigated like the shaq tamper
Florida does not concern me
Leonard did you way more dirt than the spurs. We got a ring and you don’t.

Thread
07-08-2019, 11:50 AM
Duncan tank was never investigated like the shaq tamper
Florida does not concern me
Leonard did you way more dirt than the spurs. We got a ring and you don’t.

Leonard was under his Spur's contract when he rang north of the border. That was your 6th NBA Title he won. Your Spurs with Leonard beats Toronto with Leonard every day that ends in (y).

y!!!!!!!!!

Killakobe81
07-08-2019, 12:05 PM
Governed.

Phil ran off West and Jeannie obliged...
Magic offed himself and fuck him BTW... Great p' Ayer and business man but horrible in bball operations

Thread
07-08-2019, 12:07 PM
Magic offed himself and fuck him BTW... Great p' Ayer and business man but horrible in bball operations

You get AIDs & see how you react, Killa.

AIDs!!!!!!!!!

Killakobe81
07-08-2019, 12:07 PM
Hopefully more than that, cancel the entire league tbh.

Btw I agree with this post. Screw the commies who are always flamingly on the player's side of these debates no matter what. The owners should have fair treatment as well and as of now they don't, it's a player's league that is built to massively, MASSIVELY overpay poorly-educated athletes (many of which would otherwise be on the streets or in and out of jail) for doing their favorite thing in the world to do (who else can say that?), screw owners out of their fair share of the pie and most of all, screw fanbases left and right.

It's chickenshit.

I would agree with you if dudes like Tyus Jones Middleton etc weren't getting above market deals by small market teams the owners/front office overpay scrubs but bitch when stars wanna leave

endrity
07-08-2019, 12:34 PM
Complete removal of guaranteed contracts would be too much in a sport where injury risks are simple not as high as in football.

But I do suspect some kind of fightback is coming from the owners. The moves pulled by AD and George this year were probably a step too far for most of the owners.

Thread
07-08-2019, 01:28 PM
PERPETUAL!!!!!!!!!

DMC
07-08-2019, 02:36 PM
Teams need to start suing players to recoup the money they lose and have non-compete clauses. Some teams seem to be good at that already though. If you violate your contract you cannot play for an NBA team for 2 years. That would squelch the shit.

spurraider21
07-08-2019, 02:46 PM
They just need to monetarily penalize forced trades, out of the player's pocket. They can make it a sliding scale, where the penalty is higher closer to the start of the deal and dwindles down as it gets closer to the end. You would tack that amount as an extra exception for the team to use in the following offseason.
det reverse trade kicker

but then its gonna be hard to prove it it was a formal "demand" for a trade or whatever

ambchang
07-08-2019, 04:13 PM
Leonard was under his Spur's contract when he rang north of the border. That was your 6th NBA Title he won. Your Spurs with Leonard beats Toronto with Leonard every day that ends in (y).

y!!!!!!!!!

So shaq was under the lakers contract when he won in Miami? Not quite sure I understand your logic.

ambchang
07-08-2019, 04:14 PM

Yeah so whatever you are trying to lodge isn’t sticking, because the lakers did it earlier, more, and with more severity.

Thread
07-08-2019, 04:41 PM
So shaq was under the lakers contract when he won in Miami? Not quite sure I understand your logic.

It's this:::you ain't no better than us. You just have Media covering for you. We're naked before the mast.

spurraider21
07-08-2019, 05:59 PM
It's this:::you ain't no better than us. You just have Media covering for you. We're naked before the mast.
yeah cause media hates the lakers

lol

DMC
07-08-2019, 06:14 PM

lol

Yep. Even when they haven't been in the playoffs for 5 or 6 years (I lost count), the headlines are still "What do the Lakers need to do in the off season?" instead of talking about the champions.

So yeah, no media excuses.

When ESPN gets a San Antonio office, we can revisit.

Thread
07-08-2019, 06:16 PM

lol

That ain't germane to the point, 21. We're used by Media. You're protected by Media. There is no upside in selling your shit out, exploiting you in the light of a prof erred God like fellow as Pop. He's to be preserved at any & all costs, kept pristine on the mount. Like I said we're naked at default, ready to be teased and tormented. There is no downside to. Like Trump, he's naked at default...ewww, that ass...LMAO! But, I'm serious, Media can beat on him all day long, but, they preserve Hussein Obama because's he's special.

Am I gettin' thru to ya, fella?

Thread
07-08-2019, 06:19 PM
Yep. Even when they haven't been in the playoffs for 5 or 6 years (I lost count), the headlines are still "What do the Lakers need to do in the off season?" instead of talking about the champions.

So yeah, no media excuses.

When ESPN gets a San Antonio office, we can revisit.

Because it/Lakers sells The old lesson I spoke about yesterday. Every ESPN affiliate on order from HQ has their employees do a segment a couple times an offseason advocating the return to glory of the Lakers. They don't mean it, they're compelled to say it.

buttsR4rebounding
07-08-2019, 07:21 PM
The Lakers have missed the playoffs more in the past 5 years than the Spurs have in their entire existence. Heck, they even managed to get worse signing one of the best players of all time. How shitty of an organization do you have to be to manage that?

Thread
07-08-2019, 07:32 PM
The Lakers have missed the playoffs more in the past 5 years than the Spurs have in their entire existence. Heck, they even managed to get worse signing one of the best players of all time. How shitty of an organization do you have to be to manage that?

Leonard rang playing on your contract for Canada. You've nary room, butts.

ambchang
07-08-2019, 08:18 PM

One thing laker fans can never claim is media not on their side. You’ve had the media doing free recruiting for you for Lebron, Davis, Dwight, Kawhi, even Durant. You have absolutely no case

Thread
07-08-2019, 08:31 PM
One thing laker fans can never claim is media not on their side. You’ve had the media doing free recruiting for you for Lebron, Davis, Dwight, Kawhi, even Durant. You have absolutely no case

They lure us in to shallow water, lure us in, then drown us. We didn't want to be on welfare all winter. Too many captains on this island. So, 1100 of us went into the water, 230 came out, sharks took the rest.

RC_Drunkford
07-08-2019, 08:35 PM

yeah and now he plays on the best team in LA. And it ain't yours. Y'all not winning anything

ambchang
07-08-2019, 08:39 PM

What does that have to do with what butts said?

ambchang
07-08-2019, 08:40 PM
They lure us in to shallow water, lure us in, then drown us. We didn't want to be on welfare all winter. Too many captains on this island. So, 1100 of us went into the water, 230 came out, sharks took the rest.

Cite it chickenshit. Back your theories up.

Thread
07-08-2019, 08:46 PM
What does that have to do with what butts said?

I wasn't talking to you, I was talking to butts.

Thread
07-08-2019, 08:47 PM
yeah and now he plays on the best team in LA. And it ain't yours. Y'all not winning anything

- "Promises, promises."

- Ernie "The Cat" Ladd

ambchang
07-08-2019, 09:00 PM
I wasn't talking to you, I was talking to butts.

Then use pm instead of an open forum. Chickenshit.

DMC
07-08-2019, 09:16 PM
Because it/Lakers sells The old lesson I spoke about yesterday. Every ESPN affiliate on order from HQ has their employees do a segment a couple times an offseason advocating the return to glory of the Lakers. They don't mean it, they're compelled to say it.

It sells because the Lakers were one of the 1st successful franchises and in the top 2 with their lion's share of championships so they have a shit ton of fans because they were always on TV when there was only one game on. This is why even here the majority of Lakers fans don't even live in LA. So since the media carries your torch, you get the 1st dibs on big name free agents. Somehow you want us to think that's a curse.

Thread
07-08-2019, 09:47 PM
It sells because the Lakers were one of the 1st successful franchises and in the top 2 with their lion's share of championships so they have a shit ton of fans because they were always on TV when there was only one game on. This is why even here the majority of Lakers fans don't even live in LA. So since the media carries your torch, you get the 1st dibs on big name free agents. Somehow you want us to think that's a curse.

I don't see it that way, but, I'll never change your mind. You're so damn defensive, you're impossible. You give nary an inch.

Clipper Nation
07-08-2019, 10:09 PM

Leonard recruited George to the Clippers on the Lakers' meeting.

Leonard

Thread
07-08-2019, 10:12 PM
Leonard recruited George to the Clippers on the Lakers' meeting.

Leonard

What's that got to do with the price of eggs? Nothing. You're just trying to get under my skin.

spurraider21
07-08-2019, 11:02 PM
What's that got to do with the price of eggs? Nothing. You're just trying to get under my skin.
:lmao says the guy who lodges "florida" after any subject

Thread
07-08-2019, 11:07 PM
:lmao says the guy who lodges "florida" after any subject

It was trench warfare. I was under attack & reached out blindly. Do I feel bad about it now? Sure, but, it's too late now. + you guys egged me on.

Thread
07-08-2019, 11:09 PM
It was trench warfare. I was under attack & reached out blindly. Do I feel bad about it now? Sure, but, it's too late now. + you guys egged me on.

ADDENDUM:::You even requested I not do it. I hesitated for about a split second in consideration, pulled the pin & threw the grenade.