PDA

View Full Version : Summer League Grades: Spurs vs. Hornets - July 7, 2019

timvp
07-07-2019, 07:15 PM
https://www.spurstalk.com/spurs-grades-summer-league-hornets-game-5/

Impressive summer league win, tbh. Rookies all did well :tu

Dhbsr555
07-07-2019, 07:27 PM
Today was the first time I was impressed by Luka .

ICEBARREL
07-07-2019, 07:33 PM
Good writeup!

slick'81
07-07-2019, 07:38 PM
Qball is kooking great for a 49th pick

Degoat
07-07-2019, 07:45 PM
I’ve been impressed by all the rookies so far, but Luka has been the most underwhelming

Dejounte
07-07-2019, 07:45 PM
Theyre all beasts and im excited for the future. Love Keldon's attitude and charisma.

SAGirl
07-07-2019, 07:53 PM
Thanks for the review. I missed this one.

Truth4sale$
07-07-2019, 07:56 PM
Great write up. I agree with mostly everything, except I thought Josh Barnett played better than his grade, maybe even-A,.I hope he lands in Austin. I have been personally critical of both Magette and Samanic but these were their best games to date. Magette is truly a broke, homeless version of John Stockton but his passing and keeping others involved and control of the game was excellent. Samanic is a liability on defense but showed some glimpses of an offensive game but still a wasted roster spot because he is 2 years away from helping the big club if he does not gain 15 lbs.
You state weatherspoon will be great to track in Austin for the next couple of seasons, I disagree. He will be on the big club next year taking either Forbes or Bellini's spot. Honestly, starting to think he is the best of the 3 rookies-Now!

MoSpur02
07-07-2019, 08:08 PM
Good stuff Timvp. You and Kori in Vegas? Even though Saminic didn't have a great game I thought he played well. He has great handles for a guy his size and great court vision. It's easy to forget that he's only 19 because I for one think Spurs keep expecting all star talent like Tony and Manu with our draft picks. Speaking of Manu, Saminic sort of reminds me of a taller Manu with his risky passing and fearless drives to the basket.

picnroll
07-07-2019, 08:20 PM
Great review. Thanks. Seems like Luka gets discouraged and frustrated when he gets pushed physically. 15 lbs of muscle and I think the Spurs will have something special.

ceperez
07-07-2019, 08:23 PM
Great write up. I agree with mostly everything, except I thought Josh Barnett played better than his grade, maybe even-A,.I hope he lands in Austin. I have been personally critical of both Magette and Samanic but these were their best games to date. Magette is truly a broke, homeless version of John Stockton but his passing and keeping others involved and control of the game was excellent. Samanic is a liability on defense but showed some glimpses of an offensive game but still a wasted roster spot because he is 2 years away from helping the big club if he does not gain 15 lbs.
You state weatherspoon will be great to track in Austin for the next couple of seasons, I disagree. He will be on the big club next year taking either Forbes or Bellini's spot. Honestly, starting to think he is the best of the 3 rookies-Now!

Yeah but Weatherspoon is 3 years older than Keldon and Luka.

acoelho1
07-07-2019, 08:26 PM
Starting to see why RC was so high on Luka. The talent is definitely there and just needs some of that Spurs development magic to realize the potential. It's pretty exciting seeing all this young talent on the squad and I think the future looks bright.

ZeusWillJudge
07-07-2019, 08:37 PM

Read carefully. What he said was "at the very least" he’s going to be an exciting prospect to track in Austin for a couple seasons. That's a floor. Nothing there says he can't be on the roster next year.

Allan Rowe vs Wade
07-07-2019, 08:44 PM
mah beck

daslicer
07-07-2019, 08:47 PM
Good stuff Timvp. You and Kori in Vegas? Even though Saminic didn't have a great game I thought he played well. He has great handles for a guy his size and great court vision. It's easy to forget that he's only 19 because I for one think Spurs keep expecting all star talent like Tony and Manu with our draft picks. Speaking of Manu, Saminic sort of reminds me of a taller Manu with his risky passing and fearless drives to the basket.

Agreed. He has a lot of great tools to be an all-star caliber player in this league. He's real raw right now and physically needs to get stronger along with improving his stamina. If he works hard within 4-5 years he could be really good. People are going to have to be patient with him.

John B
07-07-2019, 08:57 PM
Luka and Keldon have great upsides, but Queen Dairy is a beast now. He is a steal at 49th. He has the poise of White, and honestly could replace Mills if ever we move him for an insurance Big. I’m very happy with all picks. Yet I still covet Bruno instead of Luka maybe. Bruno is a brute force who could’ve been our 3rd big

Biggems
07-07-2019, 09:04 PM
Give Luka a break. He is in a whole new country, way far from home, with a different culture and language. Plus, he is basically a kid. IMO, whatever we get out of him this year is gravy.

ZeusWillJudge
07-07-2019, 09:20 PM
mah beck

She gave the club a good look at their prospects. Made some adjustments, and gave them a better look at their prospects. The W is only important because she allowed them to show what they are capable of.

The Spurs roster is so packed, I don't see any way Ben Moore has a prayer of making it to SA. And they really had to cancel his 2-way to make room for Weatherspoon. I think (I hope) the team is giving him quality minutes to let him show for other teams.

Weatherspoon shot .396 from 3P last season, on decent volume. I'd like to see him (and the team) commit to that aspect of his game for the rest of SL, and from Day 1 of G-League. Bring him in to work with Chip. Make opportunities to get him shots from the arc, and be after him to take them. If he could cement his 3P shooting at the level he shot last season, I think he could replace Belli by December. He wont have Belli's experience, and he would still have some on the job training to do. But .396 from 3P, plus his D compared to Belli would probably make him an upgrade. But the 3P shooting is critical.

ceperez
07-07-2019, 09:43 PM
Give Luka a break. He is in a whole new country, way far from home, with a different culture and language. Plus, he is basically a kid. IMO, whatever we get out of him this year is gravy.

I agree. 19 years old. Still learning the language. He's a project with a lot of upside.

BackHome
07-07-2019, 09:46 PM
https://www.spurstalk.com/spurs-grades-summer-league-hornets-game-5/

Impressive summer league win, tbh. Rookies all did well :tu

Damn Tim you even work on Sundays. Lol. Great as always.

Drom John
07-08-2019, 01:01 PM
Top row section 118 a little toward midcourt from the Spurs bench.

Luka and Galen Robinson were my focus.
Luka has superb, fluid footwork. He also got thrown against the stanchion on a drive and was clearly banged up; shot hit free throws, competed about a pair of possessions, was pulled and hobbled to the dressing room. Came back at the start of the next quarter; ran smoothly and radically changed his game. Why then? Anyway, on offense, for the first time Luka started protecting the ball; shot early floaters on drives, and took open shots instead of driving; sidestepped to use the basket to protect from a block. I'm choosing to call this IQ rather than skittishness.

I disliked Magette on TV in SLC, and in the live earthquake game; probably the worst PG I remember in summer league. So I liked that Galen Robinson appeared and looked pretty good that third quarter. Magette had another bad first quarter, he improved the rest of the game, focusing more on team offense and toughing up on defense, particularly one muscled challenge on Bridges at the basket, stopping the shot by a solid foul. I'm choosing to call Magette's improvement on watching Galen Robinson picking up the pace, making crisp passes and very active feet on defense. But for Weatherspoon learning PG in Austin, I want Robinson to get the bulk of the Austin minutes.

Wrong game, but the Mo Bamba dominated the earthquake game, too big and fast for Eubanks. The reason the game played through and well after the quake was that Cox doesn't have an over the court scoreboard. I'm told that the Thomas & Mack scoreboard (and the Mandalay Bay scoreboard in the Aces game) scared the crap out of all players and fans. In Cox we just had a rocking chair roll going cross court. An interesting sequence was watching Walker trash talk while defending. While I could hear most of the on court talking, Walker was keeping his voice too low to hear. I had a sense that it was personal with that offensive player. I believe it was Braian Angola-Rodas, out of Florida State. They did play against each other in college. I haven't notice Walker trash talk others.

Brazil
07-08-2019, 01:08 PM
Uncle Dennis

Fucked up Lakers future dynasty
Released Spurs from custody
Brought back balance in the NBA

A+

Seventyniner
07-08-2019, 01:48 PM
Top row section 118 a little toward midcourt from the Spurs bench.

Luka and Galen Robinson were my focus.
Luka has superb, fluid footwork. He also got thrown against the stanchion on a drive and was clearly banged up; shot hit free throws, competed about a pair of possessions, was pulled and hobbled to the dressing room. Came back at the start of the next quarter; ran smoothly and radically changed his game. Why then? Anyway, on offense, for the first time Luka started protecting the ball; shot early floaters on drives, and took open shots instead of driving; sidestepped to use the basket to protect from a block. I'm choosing to call this IQ rather than skittishness.

I disliked Magette on TV in SLC, and in the live earthquake game; probably the worst PG I remember in summer league. So I liked that Galen Robinson appeared and looked pretty good that third quarter. Magette had another bad first quarter, he improved the rest of the game, focusing more on team offense and toughing up on defense, particularly one muscled challenge on Bridges at the basket, stopping the shot by a solid foul. I'm choosing to call Magette's improvement on watching Galen Robinson picking up the pace, making crisp passes and very active feet on defense. But for Weatherspoon learning PG in Austin, I want Robinson to get the bulk of the Austin minutes.

Wrong game, but the Mo Bamba dominated the earthquake game, too big and fast for Eubanks. The reason the game played through and well after the quake was that Cox doesn't have an over the court scoreboard. I'm told that the Thomas & Mack scoreboard (and the Mandalay Bay scoreboard in the Aces game) scared the crap out of all players and fans. In Cox we just had a rocking chair roll going cross court. An interesting sequence was watching Walker trash talk while defending. While I could hear most of the on court talking, Walker was keeping his voice too low to hear. I had a sense that it was personal with that offensive player. I believe it was Braian Angola-Rodas, out of Florida State. They did play against each other in college. I haven't notice Walker trash talk others.

Good stuff. :bobo

I thought Lonnie was going back and forth with #60 McCree in the Magic game, but I don't know what their history is if there even is one.

DAF86
07-08-2019, 02:36 PM
Wheatherspoon seems to have a knack for getting to the rim. Great skill to go along his outside shooting.

kobyz
07-08-2019, 02:40 PM
The team much better without Hairdo, Hairdo is really a shitty player

gospursgojas
07-08-2019, 08:09 PM
Youve been too soft on Luka all summer. Dude has been underwhelming to say the least.

timvp
07-08-2019, 08:40 PM
Youve been too soft on Luka all summer. Dude has been underwhelming to say the least.

Luka was underwhelming in the scrub Slovenian league last year. That's to be expected.

With him, it's all about his tools and what he could become if he develops in 2-3 years.

Drom John
07-09-2019, 09:53 AM
Good stuff. :bobo

I thought Lonnie was going back and forth with #60 McCree in the Magic game, but I don't know what their history is if there even is one.

Probably was McCree.

pad300
07-09-2019, 10:37 AM
The team much better without Hairdo, Hairdo is really a shitty player

If this is referring to Lonnie, I think you have some walking back to do...