PDA

View Full Version : Coach Becky Hammon: Keldon Johnson "could be steal of the draft"

D WHITE
07-08-2019, 01:52 AM
https://www.nba.com/spurs/video

Interesting stuff from Pop's successor. High praise for Big Keldong.

Dhbsr555
07-08-2019, 01:55 AM
Who’s with me to start a petition to change the WNBA to the women’s national baking association

slick'81
07-08-2019, 01:56 AM
The future coach has spoken:spless::spless:

cutewizard
07-08-2019, 02:18 AM
aw

cutewizard
07-08-2019, 02:18 AM
three good rookies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yyyyyyyyyyyyyiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiippppppp pppppppppppppppeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!! !!

lol

PublicOption
07-08-2019, 08:55 AM
Does he have an Uncle Dennis?

exstatic
07-08-2019, 08:57 AM
Does he have an Uncle Dennis?

Keldon is from a completely different environment than Kawhi. Small town, south Virginia, father never murdered.

SpursDynasty85
07-08-2019, 09:05 AM
Looks like she is really high on his defense. He definitely has skills too. He is just not very quick.

More impressed with how Becky handles interviews. I'm really glad PATFO are setting trends by accomodating things they can clearly be better at but no one wants to try first.

Dejounte
07-08-2019, 09:07 AM
Keldon is from a completely different environment than Kawhi. Small town, south Virginia, father never murdered.

Hes also really vocal and a trash talker.

RC_Drunkford
07-08-2019, 09:11 AM
I like that she says he has huge defensive upside. That means they are seeing things that he can improve on while already being a good defender

ceperez
07-08-2019, 09:12 AM
Nice interview! Lots of little details about the players.

Yeah.... Keldon Johnson has the competitiveness, work ethic and he's smiling all the time!

I think Spurs lucked out here again!

Dejounte
07-08-2019, 09:15 AM
Nice interview! Lots of little details about the players.

Yeah.... Keldon Johnson has the competitiveness, work ethic and he's smiling all the time!

I think Spurs lucked out here again!

Hes really a great kid and i havent seen any red flags about his character... I mean other than that he spends a lot of money on nice cars and already has a house.

ceperez
07-08-2019, 09:22 AM
Hes really a great kid and i havent seen any red flags about his character... I mean other than that he spends a lot of money on nice cars and already has a house.

That's the only red flag. Personally, I prefer his personality compared to Dejounte Murray. Also as a player, its obvious that Keldon isn't afraid of contact. His style in the paint is that he looks for contact when he makes his shot.

Looking forward to seeing the defense of both Dejounte and Keldon at the same time.

Mr. Body
07-08-2019, 09:23 AM
His motor is what impresses the most. He's that guy always working, just a dog, you want on your team.

Meanwhile, Becky is a hell of a coach.

boutons_deux
07-08-2019, 09:27 AM
His motor is what impresses the most. He's that guy always working, just a dog, you want on your team.

Meanwhile, Becky is a hell of a coach.

... key to her coaching success, here or elsewhere will be getting the players to respect her coaching. Tough going out there on the bleeding edge

Mr. Body
07-08-2019, 09:30 AM
... key to her coaching success, here or elsewhere will be getting the players to respect her coaching. Tough going out there on the bleeding edge

I think she'd be fine. The world's changed. Maybe not among the dipshits in backwater Wisconsin or Mississippi. Maybe the wrong team would struggle with her, but they'd struggle with anybody.

SpursDynasty85
07-08-2019, 09:39 AM

It's why having Spurs and Pop as her advocators is HUGE. Pop is an OG. He is ahead of the competition usually.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-08-2019, 09:47 AM
It's why having Spurs and Pop as her advocators is HUGE. Pop is an OG. He is ahead of the competition usually.

So ahead he lost the greatest player in the league because he wouldn't bend the knee to dear uncle and unleashed Tony on him in the press.

Can we quit acting like Pop is some savant? He doesn't tolerate thug culture at all on his teams, while complaining in the press about the plight of the black man in America. That's hardly what I would call ahead of the competition.

pad300
07-08-2019, 09:47 AM
For god's sake, don't hang that on him for a nickname...

exstatic
07-08-2019, 09:55 AM
So ahead he lost the greatest player in the league because he wouldn't bend the knee to dear uncle and unleashed Tony on him in the press.

Can we quit acting like Pop is some savant? He doesn't tolerate thug culture at all on his teams, while complaining in the press about the plight of the black man in America. That's hardly what I would call ahead of the competition.

One really has nothing to do with the other...

SpursDynasty85
07-08-2019, 09:58 AM

LMAO. Ok just ignore the HOF BBALL resume, head of USA Basketball, 5 championships in SA, longest tenured NBA coach, most efficient NBA winner of all time, making unknowns into Hof'ers (including Kawhi - read TIMVP's post he was always destined for LA). First to trailblaze international players, was key in pioneering more small ball and European style ball movement in NBA. Not to mention he served our country, ex-CIA, and critisizes our president like he is a delinquent, racist. bully. Not to mention the coaching tree under him is ridiculous. He is an OG and probably the most well respected current coach in the WORLD!

GreekSpursfan
07-08-2019, 10:04 AM
We need to stop putting Duncan in the same sentence with a very late 1st round pick for any reason who hasn't proven shit yet. From what i've seen i like his defensive energy but thats about it. Wrong time for Becky to say what she said, shows how inexperienced she still is, Pop would've never done that for those who know what i'm talking about.

weebo
07-08-2019, 10:09 AM

So thug= black in America?

weebo
07-08-2019, 10:12 AM
We need to stop putting Duncan in the same sentence with a very late 1st round pick for any reason who hasn't proven shit yet. From what i've seen i like his defensive energy but thats about it. Wrong time for Becky to say what she said, shows how inexperienced she still is, Pop would've never done that for those who know what i'm talking about.

Nothing wrong with what she said...he does have “upside”...Don’t forget PATFO we’re calling 2 THE FUTURE FACE OF THE FRANCHISE “ before he did anything

heyheymymy
07-08-2019, 10:15 AM
Who’s with me to start a petition to change the WNBA to the women’s national baking association

Shut the fuck up you stupid faggot. Oho, good one a joke about women in the kitchen you clown.

Atl Spur
07-08-2019, 10:28 AM

I would have to say NO; not at all homie.

JADG79
07-08-2019, 10:31 AM
KJ is showing a lot of basketball fundamental, he will be very easy to coach. The worst game was with Loonie on the court , the ball was not moved well.

exstatic
07-08-2019, 10:33 AM
I would have to say NO; not at all homie.

I think the question was rhetorical.

BD24
07-08-2019, 10:39 AM
Really excited about potential DJ, White, Keldon lineups in the future. Big defensive potential there. The offensive skill sets will need to continue to improve so that you can play them all together though

kobyz
07-08-2019, 10:40 AM
so they already doing it?!

Russ
07-08-2019, 10:40 AM
Keldon would have been a steal at 19 (much less 29).

The interesting thing will be to watch Luka vs. Little over the years. It certainly looks like the Spurs could have had either one PLUS Keldon.

Of course, Little was hard to pass up at where he fell to. But I'll trust PATFO unless and until the facts counsel otherwise.

Dejounte
07-08-2019, 11:02 AM

The interesting thing will be to watch Luka vs. Little over the years. It certainly looks like the Spurs could have had either one PLUS Keldon.

Of course, Little was hard to pass up at where he fell to. But I'll trust PATFO unless and until the facts counsel otherwise.

Little scored 2 pts in his first summer league game and 7 pts in his second. His game is mediocre and he will be a total bust.

Pavlov
07-08-2019, 11:03 AM
Really odd pining for other draft picks after all the Spurs' picks have been playing well.

ZeusWillJudge
07-08-2019, 11:14 AM

I wasn't a fan of drafting Samanic - I said so through the whole offseason discussion. But by the time the draft came around, I was certain that's who they were going with if he was still on the board. I wasn't a big fan of Little, either. The Spurs saw a lot more of Samanic than me, so I'm happy waiting to see how he develops. But people talking about how Samanic is only 19 should remember that he's only 3 months younger than Keldon Johnson.

I had KJ on my personal short list from the day he declared. I didn't think there was any way he would fall to 29, so I figured he was out of the question. If he and Samanic had been drafted in the opposite order, the only difference would be that KJ would have the bigger rookie contract. Getting them both was a damn good outcome. In two years time, I don't think the Spurs will have to apologize for passing on Little.

Now we just have to wait and see.

TheGreatYacht
07-08-2019, 11:34 AM
I’m on board with Becky taking over the main team. She always makes young players look better than what they are. Fathead was a prime example of that. She can take over as soon as this preseason tbh

poopbox
07-08-2019, 11:54 AM
#beckywiththegoodplays has spoken...

can we sign her to a successor contract right now?

MannyIsGod
07-08-2019, 12:03 PM

15 years later and you're still on the same schtick. Not sure if I'm impressed at the persistence or sad at the time spent on this nonsense. Pop is literally the GOAT. Its time for you to stop hating on him.

Mr. Body
07-08-2019, 12:07 PM

This is some of the stupidest shit I've ever read.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-08-2019, 12:19 PM
15 years later and you're still on the same schtick. Not sure if I'm impressed at the persistence or sad at the time spent on this nonsense. Pop is literally the GOAT. Its time for you to stop hating on him.

Na, all he's done since his last title is focus on politics and overpaying washed up vets out of loyalty. Was really hoping we'd get the Pop of old with a chip on his shoulder after Kawhi left, but that didn't happen. Managed to pull all the wrong levers and lose the Denver series with his rotations. Needs to get over himself, like he tells all the young ballers to do if they want to do anything besides fetch donuts and water for Patty.

Marcus Bryant
07-08-2019, 12:19 PM
:corn: :pop:

Marcus Bryant
07-08-2019, 12:23 PM
Or, Nephew and friends acted in bad faith.

Pavlov
07-08-2019, 12:24 PM
I always love when people say Pop's focus is now politics after a total of about 10 minutes of his talking politics in a year.

Marcus Bryant
07-08-2019, 12:24 PM
That is, this episode had nothing to do with politics and race.

Russ
07-08-2019, 12:28 PM

At the risk of suggesting that Aggies are not experts on the subject of race in America . . .

I don't think that you have to annoint the "thug culture" in order to acknowledge the history (continuing) of the oppression of black people in this country.

MultiTroll
07-08-2019, 12:49 PM
No shit.
Appointing Patty Mills as the "Leader" and paying he and Gasol $$$$ while calling Kwa a non leader is some GOAT stuff.

Get with it AggieHoopsFan.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-08-2019, 12:55 PM
At the risk of suggesting that Aggies are not experts on the subject of race in America . . .

I don't think that you have to annoint the "thug culture" in order to acknowledge the history (continuing) of the oppression of black people in this country.

I work in the legal community, about half of it with youths on the wrong side of the law. So, school associated stereotypes aside, I'd like to say I'm more educated than most on the problems going on in this country on that side of things. When Pop whines about it hard to be AA in "Trump's America", he's trotting out typical elitist political tropes without really understanding the true issues and problems in our country. Even moreso when he cheapens it with trying to tie it to Trump.

Sorry that some folks can't step back and look at the fact Pop's clashed with every baller type (Jax, Simmons, Dedmond, etc.), basically anyone that shows a spine or attitude on the court. He prefers a certain style of player and personality (which is certainly his right), but don't act like you do with your players and their personalities and then turn around and complain about racial problems in America. It's hypocritical. Especially when your employees are all millionaires (or close to it).

I'm not trying to tie Kawhi to that situation, as Leonard and his uncle were/are assholes. But it's a player's league now, something guys like Nurse, Kerr, and others seem to have adopted to, but still appears to escape Pop's authoritarian nature. But carry on with the circle jerk about Becky. For the record, I like her, like how she coaches and adjusts in summer league, but when the time comes to replace Pop, I want it to go to the best qualified person to take up the reigns and coach our Spurs. Becky might be that person, but it also might be that Pop wants to break that barrier when there's other more qualified individuals out there.

Mr. Body
07-08-2019, 01:00 PM
I always love when people say Pop's focus is now politics after a total of about 10 minutes of his talking politics in a year.

It's dumbfuck Trumper who're too embarrassed to admit their hero-god is a pedophile traitor who is sticking kids into kennels in concentration camps and the only thing he's done is make himself rich.

Mr. Body
07-08-2019, 01:01 PM

This is pretty racist, bro.

K...
07-08-2019, 01:02 PM
Imagine accusing pop of losing the fire the season his wife died after long illness.

K...
07-08-2019, 01:03 PM
I work in the legal community, about half of it with youths on the wrong side of the law. So, school associated stereotypes aside, I'd like to say I'm more educated than most on the problems going on in this country on that side of things. When Pop whines about it hard to be AA in "Trump's America", he's trotting out typical elitist political tropes without really understanding the true issues and problems in our country. Even moreso when he cheapens it with trying to tie it to Trump.

Sorry that some folks can't step back and look at the fact Pop's clashed with every baller type (Jax, Simmons, Dedmond, etc.), basically anyone that shows a spine or attitude on the court. He prefers a certain style of player and personality (which is certainly his right), but don't act like you do with your players and their personalities and then turn around and complain about racial problems in America. It's hypocritical. Especially when your employees are all millionaires (or close to it).

I'm not trying to tie Kawhi to that situation, as Leonard and his uncle were/are assholes. But it's a player's league now, something guys like Nurse, Kerr, and others seem to have adopted to, but still appears to escape Pop's authoritarian nature. But carry on with the circle jerk about Becky. For the record, I like her, like how she coaches and adjusts in summer league, but when the time comes to replace Pop, I want it to go to the best qualified person to take up the reigns and coach our Spurs. Becky might be that person, but it also might be that Pop wants to break that barrier when there's other more qualified individuals out there.

So you're a cop, cool

Marcus Bryant
07-08-2019, 01:08 PM
:corn: :corn:

Pavlov
07-08-2019, 01:12 PM
It's dumbfuck Trumper who're too embarrassed to admit their hero-god is a pedophile traitor who is sticking kids into kennels in concentration camps and the only thing he's done is make himself rich.
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/BlackandwhiteObviousAcornbarnacle-size_restricted.gif

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-08-2019, 01:14 PM

Na, lots of issues with Trump, but this isn't the political forum last I checked.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-08-2019, 01:15 PM
So you're a cop, cool

Not a cop, work with a non-profit in the area of criminal justice reform.

FkLA
07-08-2019, 01:25 PM

Canada bent the knee and spread their cheeks for the group. How'd that turn out for them?

Atl Spur
07-08-2019, 01:28 PM
I think the question was rhetorical.

lol........ I think you are right!

Atl Spur
07-08-2019, 01:30 PM
I can’t wait to see how the great Nick Nurse does this year:)

phxspurfan
07-08-2019, 01:37 PM
Spurs could win the championship too :lol

GreekSpursfan
07-08-2019, 02:00 PM
Nothing wrong with what she said...he does have “upside”...Don’t forget PATFO we’re calling 2 THE FUTURE FACE OF THE FRANCHISE “ before he did anything

It was obvious there and they did it after we won in 2014, here i see nothing even close to that.

exstatic
07-08-2019, 02:08 PM

Both lost All NBA caliber players this offseason. Just sayin'.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-08-2019, 02:19 PM
Both lost All NBA caliber players this offseason. Just sayin'.

I agree. I look at Kerr, he took over the Warriors after an authoritarian type coach in Jackson. Nurse, I just have a lot of respect for the way he's worked his way up through the coaching ranks. Dude's a tape room junkie and has been for a long time, and appears to have good interpersonal skills with his players and is good at adjusting.

Marcus Bryant
07-08-2019, 02:30 PM
So, that Keldon Johnson, he might be good.

tesseractive
07-08-2019, 03:21 PM
So, that Keldon Johnson, he might be good.
So is his ceiling being a great 3 and D player who is great to have playing off the ball, or does he have the potential to expand his game beyond that?

ceperez
07-08-2019, 04:20 PM

Total BS narrative.

PATFO did sign up Jax (for the 2nd time), Simmons and Dedmon. Something that Jax did had him kicked out of the team before the playoffs. Simmons and Dedmon signed elsewhere for salaries that PATFO could not afford. To make it like a narrative that these guys were undesireables is total BS. If they were undesireable, then why were they signed in the first place?

Now the Spurs signed Marcus Morris... isn't he associated with assaulting someone? The Spurs sign players because they step up during the playoffs. Don't step up, then you get traded (see Bertans).

Kawhi however is that non-emotional all business all work type player the Spurs covet. It is just that his family wanted something different. They lost $80m by not getting max deals with the Spurs and with the Raptors. They had their own ideas. They didn't sign with the Lakers because they might have felts they couldn't influence the team. But, they signed with the Clippers after the Clippers got George. So there's some sanity in their method. It's a preference to play in LA. Just the same as Durant having a preference to play in the east coast. Most everybody has a preference to live somewhere else and are willing to take a pay-cut to do so. That's what Kawhi did and that's what Durant did.

You could say the same thing of a foreign player like Pau Gasol. Do you remember what his criteria was when he signed with the Bulls? He was looking for a good cultural scene which he couldn't find in San Antonio. Pau comes from a family of affluence where his parents were medical doctors. Same result... he didn't initially want to play for the Spurs.

All you have done is projected your view of the world into a world of professional high stakes basketball. It's an interesting perspective, but its validity is questionable. You have no idea how it is to be a millionaire or even a guy who makes six figures.

wildbill2u
07-08-2019, 04:35 PM
I don't have any problem with some Spurs Talk expert making a critical comment of Pop on a play or missed opportunity on the court to play another player. If the expert can back it up with some good comments, that is part of what this site is all about.

However, all the talk about Pop being a bad coach or Patfo being incapable of putting a team together on a career basis is just drivel from someone wanting attention or someone who knows nothing about the general consensus in the NBA coaches, management and players about Pop and Spurs organization being wildly successful for a small market team.

ceperez
07-08-2019, 04:39 PM
I don't have any problem with some Spurs Talk expert making a critical comment of Pop on a play or missed opportunity on the court to play another player. If the expert can back it up with some good comments, that is part of what this site is all about.

However, all the talk about Pop being a bad coach or Patfo being incapable of putting a team together on a career basis is just drivel from someone wanting attention or someone who knows nothing about the general consensus in the NBA coaches, management and players about Pop and Spurs organization being wildly successful for a small market team.

Yup. Spurs are a small market team that exceeds expectations. Sometimes you get bad luck (Kawhi quiting), but for the stuff they can control, they've done well.

The mere fact that Kawhi is a top 5 player in the league tells you something. He was drafted after the Morris twins!

MannyIsGod
07-08-2019, 05:37 PM

Marcus Bryant
07-08-2019, 05:45 PM

:tu

If the Spurs had been in NY, Boston, or LA since 1973 with the same history it'd be regarded as the greatest pro sports franchise of all time, or thereabouts. Only missed the playoffs 4 times in 46 seasons, 5 titles. Then I log on here and see mofos cutting themselves or in a rage.

Marcus Bryant
07-08-2019, 05:56 PM
Spurs fan whining about how horrible the team is run has to sound insane to the fans of many other franchises.

james evans
07-08-2019, 06:16 PM
to white folks yes, when in reality white people have committed the most heinous crimes in history.

exstatic
07-08-2019, 06:17 PM
Spurs fan whining about how horrible the team is run has to sound insane to the fans of many other franchises.

I don't think a lot of them are Spurs fans. Lotta trollin' going on.

ginobilized
07-08-2019, 06:24 PM
Keldon Johnson really gets some dialogue going here.
He might be the steal of the draft.

tonight...you
07-08-2019, 06:25 PM
"Big Body" Keldon!

LASToog36
07-08-2019, 07:03 PM
Weatherspoon is the steal > samanic and johnson

tim_duncan_fan
07-08-2019, 07:57 PM

Pop is right. The plight of the black people in America is real, but those who want to be above it can be.

I'm black and I'm fine with a straight-laced culture. We won't win the title every year that way, but we'll win enough. It's enough to wait for the good guy who happens to be really talented.

This is the way the Spurs should continue to be.

weebo
07-08-2019, 08:55 PM
to white folks yes, when in reality white people have committed the most heinous crimes in history.

Word. Ain’t easy being black or brown in the MAGA era...

EricB
07-08-2019, 08:58 PM

Tony wasn’t unleashed on him. Fake news.

tonight...you
07-08-2019, 08:59 PM
No joke.
My beautiful, wonderful, amazing and successful wife is Mexican/American and she's absolutely terrified to leave our city.
We went on one vacation and she got harassed ugly at an airport for speaking Spanish.

Ridiculous stuff going on over here.

EricB
07-08-2019, 09:00 PM

Little’s offcourt issues were the reason he’s not in SA.

james evans
07-08-2019, 09:23 PM
it's very easy for me. I don't see white people unless I go shopping. I live in a very nice black area that has has a 0% crime rate due to it being inhabited by senior citizens(it's where I choose to live. it's peaceful). So I don't see white people at all unless I'm at B&N or Walmart. And even then, I'm carrying a couple of guns(legally) for protection.

D-Robinson 50 fan
07-08-2019, 09:35 PM
I agree. I look at Kerr, he took over the Warriors after an authoritarian type coach in Jackson. Nurse, I just have a lot of respect for the way he's worked his way up through the coaching ranks. Dude's a tape room junkie and has been for a long time, and appears to have good interpersonal skills with his players and is good at adjusting.

Mark Jackson was a players coach that all the players besides Festus Ezeli and Andrew Bogut liked alot on those Warrior teams. He got fired because him and the front office clashed.

RC_Drunkford
07-08-2019, 09:36 PM
So is his ceiling being a great 3 and D player who is great to have playing off the ball, or does he have the potential to expand his game beyond that?

He's already a 3-and-D player who's also good at driving and drawing fouls. He has enough time to assemble a complete offensive arsenal of step backs, post moves, off the dribble pull ups, scoring in the pick and roll, handling the ball and setting his team mates up. Should develop into a great 2-way player

SequSpur
07-08-2019, 09:38 PM
I already called this shit. Plagiarism.

D-Robinson 50 fan
07-08-2019, 09:40 PM

So true

SpurPadre
07-08-2019, 09:55 PM
Hes also really vocal and a trash talker.

Pop will put a stop to that shit, right quick, tbh.

MultiTroll
07-08-2019, 10:06 PM
Beckys previous takes on talent potential anyone?

Just wondering if we have some sort of reference point.

offset formation
07-08-2019, 10:11 PM

Your tipoff was right in his name. Aggie anything is all you ever really need to know about them.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-08-2019, 11:34 PM
Your tipoff was right in his name. Aggie anything is all you ever really need to know about them.

You couldn't be more wrong on that, but hey, stick with stupid stereotypes.

Ed Helicopter Jones
07-09-2019, 10:36 AM

That's racist.

Marcus Bryant
07-09-2019, 12:04 PM
:lol that Pop is somehow not a "player's coach". Here we are 20 years later and people are still floating that canard.

DJR210
07-09-2019, 02:26 PM
I mean other than that he spends a lot of money on nice cars and already has a house.

:lol you want him to rent a sect. 8 apartment to be a better basketball player or what