PDA

View Full Version : it might be a bull market for Wallace

ducks
10-31-2005, 12:35 PM
it might be a bull market for Wallace

Chicago will have the money and could target Pistons' burly center as free-agent acquisition.

By Chris McCosky / The Detroit News
Clarence Tabb Jr. / The Detroit News

Ben Wallace, the Pistons' big man in the middle, could be at the center of some intense free-agent bidding next summer.

Keep your eyes on the Chicago Bulls.

Not so much during the season, because they are going to struggle. Losing Eddy Curry and Antonio Davis has left them barren in the middle, and that's death in the newly fortified Central Division.

But keep your eyes on them next July, when they take the $20 million in cap space they will have and start wooing free agent Ben Wallace.

The Bulls were a playoff team with Eddy Curry in the middle. With Wallace, they could be a title contender.

That's how intense things are getting in the Central Division these days. Maybe it's not quite as loaded as the Southwest Division, where the Spurs, Rockets, Mavericks and Grizzlies reside, but the Central has to be considered a close second.

What used to be a two-team race between the Pistons and Pacers has a couple of formidable new entries -- the Cavaliers and Bucks.

And Chicago, as the fifth team, even this year, isn't exactly a cupcake.

What other division can boast three all-star centers? Residing in the Central Division now are Wallace (Detroit), Zydrunas Ilgauskas (Cleveland) and Jamaal Magloire (Milwaukee).

"I think it's great," Pistons coach Flip Saunders said of the beefed-up division. "I think what it shows is that a lot of teams have made changes to their rosters to try and catch us."

The addition of Donyell Marshall certainly helps the Cavaliers deal with the presence of Rasheed Wallace, and the acquisition of Magloire makes the Bucks a playoff contender, assuming he is properly motivated to play.

That brings us to the Bulls, who are desperately trying to get back to the top of the NBA world. And with $20 million to play with, and Wallace an unrestricted free agent in July, they could do it.

The Bulls and the Atlanta Hawks, the franchise closest to Wallace's home in Alabama, will be the two teams that come after Wallace the hardest.

But rest easy for now. The Pistons aren't going to let their foundation, the face of their organization, simply walk out of the door.

The Pistons have been prudently preparing for Wallace's eventual free agency the past few years. They should be in a position to reward him with the most lucrative contract offer in Pistons history.

Marklar MM
10-31-2005, 01:21 PM
Detroit can match any offer, I do believe.

ducks
10-31-2005, 01:30 PM
will they match a max offer from the bulls though

TDMVPDPOY
10-31-2005, 02:01 PM
Bulls with 20mill, umm better spend it wisely.

Pistons are goin to match it anyway

JMarkJohns
10-31-2005, 02:44 PM
Detroit can match any offer, I do believe.

I don't know how, seeing that he's classified as an unrestricted FA come 2006.

3. Ben Wallace, Unrestricted
-Big Ben will be 32 next summer, but he's shown absolutely no signs of slowing down anytime soon. I'm a little surprised that Joe Dumars hasn't worked out a contract extension with Wallace yet, but he's reportedly more concerned with locking up Tayshaun Prince long-term. If the Pistons let Big Ben hit the market, it could be a sign that they're willing to let him walk. Why would they do that? They have some kid on their bench who they have placed a lot of stock into-- Darko Milicic. This is yet another reason why this season is so crucial for Darko and the Pistons. So why in the hell did they go out and sign Dale Davis, possibly pushing Darko back on the depth chart once again?!

http://nbasource.blogspot.com/2005/08/preparing-2006-free-agency-menu.html

Marklar MM
10-31-2005, 03:26 PM
I don't know how, seeing that he's classified as an unrestricted FA come 2006.

http://nbasource.blogspot.com/2005/08/preparing-2006-free-agency-menu.html

I believe we hold Ben's bird rights. Could be wrong though.

JMarkJohns
10-31-2005, 04:15 PM
I'm pretty sure that means you can sign him to whatever it takes, not match.

If he signs elsewhere, as an unrestricted free agent, he's gone.

ducks
10-31-2005, 04:35 PM
if they have his birds rights they can offer more then anyone else unless the team lets him to do a sign and trade

JMarkJohns
10-31-2005, 04:36 PM
Yeah, sign him to whatever it take...

In order to match an offer, the player has to be a restricted FA.

A Serbian Beast
10-31-2005, 07:22 PM
I don't see him leaving. And if he does, Darko will step in. Who will be much better than Ben in a few years.

kskonn
10-31-2005, 07:24 PM
I think the big difference is as an unrestricted he does not have to give the pistons the opportunity to match unless he wants.

Dre_7
10-31-2005, 09:58 PM
I know it would never happen, but Big Ben next to Tim!! WOW!

Obstructed_View
11-01-2005, 12:13 AM
I don't see him leaving. And if he does, Darko will step in. Who will be much better than Ben in a few years.
I thought he was better already? Preseason MVP baby!

TDMVPDPOY
11-01-2005, 01:00 AM
U guys think the knicks are also in the sweepstakes? they got a few expirin contracts and i think like 3-4 draft picks next 2 seasons

JMarkJohns
11-01-2005, 01:10 AM
The Knicks have a few expiring contracts, but all in all a payroll of 110 million dollars. So the 30/40 they might be losing isn't enough to sign anyone...

If you're implying a sign-n-trade, perhaps, but I don't think the Knicks have much of value, outside Channing and a few picks.

It could work, but I don't see it.